Moss Says Mitchell Was the Talk of Camp

Rookie wide receiver Marko Mitchell was the talk of training camp because of his highlight-tape plays in passing drills.

Mitchell teamed with rookie quarterback Chase Daniel on a three-yard touchdown pass - the Redskins' first of the preseason - in the third quarter of Saturday's 17-13 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers, which only stirred more talk.

"Marko was doing his thing all camp," top wideout Santana Moss said. "They [Washington's defensive backs] have a hard time with him. All the DBs, they talk about him every day.

"When you've got guys talking about you, or saying something to you, that goes to show you that you're doing something interesting to them. Those guys are watching you. That's been one of the bright spots."

Among the players competing for the fifth wideout spot, Mitchell would be the runaway favorite if he had a strong background on special teams. Special teams coach Danny Smith is tutoring Mitchell in an accelerated course. But with his lanky frame (he's listed at 6-feet-4, 218 pounds), I just don't see him becoming very good at teams.

As part of the offense, however, Mitchell clearly is comfortable, Moss said.

"When you've got a guy like Marko, he's before his time," Moss said. "You can look at the way he handles himself. I mean, yeah, he's young, but he can play football."

The Colt, Tanner and Bog Report

Colt "Cult of" Brennan opens up to Cooley -- Tanner Cooley -- on the ignominy of throwing an interception Saturday night. (And Dan Steinberg opens up about being scooped by Tanner Cooley.) Maybe Tanner is the one who should be the life coach.

"It's, like, embarrassing," Brennan said, describing what it feels like to throw an NFL interception. "It's kind of like when you trip and fall when you're walking, and everyone's like, 'I saw that,'. You're like walking, all cool, and you do that stumble and everyone turns [to] figure out what's wrong with that guy."

Two-a-days Are Over

With camp finally over, the practice schedule for the week has changed.

The only session today is scheduled to start at 1:30 p.m. The Welcome Home Lunch is Thursday and the Redskins play host to the New England Patriots on Friday at FedEx Field. ... And if it's Monday, there'll be the usual Monday Redskins/NFL chat with Cindy Boren at noon today. See you there.

By Jason Reid  |  August 24, 2009; 6:10 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Daniel Poised in Strong Showing
Next: Route Running Is Kelly's Big Concern (Updated)

Comments

First?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Yup. First.

Thoughts from the game:

-- Chase Daniel looked pretty good. The Skins haven't had mobility like that at QB, maybe ever. Dude looks like he's got the moxie and the intangibles to be a good QB IN THE LONG RUN. I won't be one of the lunatics looking to unseat JC with an undrafted rookie, but I will say that with some work, he could be Doug Flutie 2.0.

-- Marko Mitchell WILL make this roster. If he can do at WR what Chris Horton did at safety last year, one of the Skins biggest weaknesses could actually become a strength.

-- I'm not freaking out about JC's performance at all...it's the regular season games that count. I've seen All-Pros struggle in the preseason and turn it on like a light come Week 1. Not saying JC is an All-Pro, but I think he'll still be good.

That's all I noticed from the bits and pieces of the game Saturday, but I'll be watching it in its entirety today at 4 on NFLN.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 6:31 AM | Report abuse

The Truth is back to force the "New Truth" into retirement.

Keep Marko and Mason. We've got some good, young talent on the team right now and keeping them would only add to it. Good, young talent is the way you build a franchise ready to win for multiple years!

Posted by: TheTruth11 | August 24, 2009 6:33 AM | Report abuse

1st Team Offense needs to play longer than 2 QTRS on Saturday......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2009 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Why do they keep talking about Marko Mitchell as the fifth receiver? It sounds like he's having a bigger impact than Kelly or Thomas or ARE. Maybe they should give those guys a quick course in special teams?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 6:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 6:51 AM

Mark your calendar. We agree.

If Mitchell is setting the world on fire against starters, he should get some run with the first team to REALLY see what he's got. If this guy can be a reliable possession receiver and quality red zone target, it's an absolute must to get him on the field as much as possible. I don't care about the draft status of Kelly and Thomas, I want the best players on the field.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Love Marcus Mason but Dorsey is pretty much the same runner AND returns kicks. Keep Dorsey.

And for heaven's sake, keep Mitchell. He looks like the red zone option we've lacked for years. If defenses have to stop Portis, Cooley, and a 6' 5" receiver with great hands inside the 20, it seems we'll score a ton more TDs.

Posted by: outsider6 | August 24, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood -- when you re-watch the game at 4 today you'll see Mitchell did get some time with the 1s and 2s Saturday night.

Seems like they'd be well-served to keep Mitchell, cut Hackett, Shelton, and Hagans and put Eloi on the practice squad.

Posted by: outsider6 | August 24, 2009 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Mitchell should be the #4 receiver, and Thomas, who can play special teams, should be #5.

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 24, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 24, 2009 7:19 AM

Maybe that's what the depth charts should show today. Hopefully that would light a fire under Thomas. But with two preseason games left it should still be fluid heading into the opening day roster.

And they ought to cut Hackett and give him a chance to catch on with another team. I don't think he can Hackett here. He's been beat.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

TE: I enjoy your thoughts in this space... you seem well-informed and insightful.

But please... no more puns.

Posted by: outsider6 | August 24, 2009 7:32 AM | Report abuse

I know the REDSKINS will never admit they have made another chump high draft choice at WR, but DEVIN THOMAS should be traded or cut along with HAGENS and the sooner the better. Besides two out of three ain't bad......KELLY looks good at this point, and DAVIS may ultimately pan out. Catching balls and TD passes in games helps my opinion BTW. You can have all the potential in the world, but results on the field are the ONLY criterion I use for judgements about REDSKINS personnel. AND, MARKO MITCHELL is a keeper. He would fit nicely into the offense in place of THOMAS.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 24, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Okay, so it's only preseason, bla bla. Here's Peter King this morning:

No player in the NFL has a bigger week ahead than Jason Campbell, who looked shaky, inaccurate and as if he had a 20-pound bar on his shoulders Saturday night in the rain at FedEx. The Patriots come calling Friday night. Not an easy team to get well against.

The plot with JC has less to do with getting ready for a season than it has to do with getting over having your ownership crap all over you in public. As of right now, JC so does not look like a guy who's moved on. He's playing tighter than ever. Chase, on the other hand, has no history, so he can play balls out and lose nothing. See what a little history has done to the Cult of Colt. I think JC has a little Snyder sitting on his shoulder, 24/7. Now there's a fate worse than death...

Posted by: SonofNero | August 24, 2009 7:55 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the comment that Marko Mitchell should be considered the #2 receiver right now til proven otherwise. Let Kelly and Thomas show what they can do on special teams, if only to send a message that their position on the team is not a given.
I also agree (mostly) with the person who said Dorsey is Mason except Dorsey can return kicks. I didn't realize Dorsey average 12 yards on punt returns Saturday. We desperately need to upgrade the kick return spot. However, apparently Dorsey has had problems holding on to the ball while running from scrimmage, and that could hurt him.
Let's use the last few preseason games to evaluate the talent at perhaps the two biggest problem areas: punt returner and wideout.
Go Skins!

Posted by: jdsp2000 | August 24, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

The fifth wide receiver is the one that's inactive on game day.

Posted by: midniterc | August 24, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

"but DEVIN THOMAS should be traded or cut"

AWESOME...thats just awesome, chock full of logic, reason, and intelligence....

Happy Monday, I've gotta tell ya, I'm getting a queasy feeling in my stomach about JC. Maybe I'm being picky, but I'm not understanding why when Collins comes in, the offense seems to run better, or when Daniels was in there the offense seemed to run better. I mean, Collins is in his 2nd year of the offense, why is it that when his heel hits the ground on a 5 step, the ball is coming out, but with JC, its a couple of pump fakes, and then the ball gets thrown to the ground.

JC really needs to step up his game. No excuses this year

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Colt might want to stop blogging for a bit and try to save his job.

Posted by: Gweez | August 24, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 8:01 AM

Zackly. Amen.

Posted by: SonofNero | August 24, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

The team is talking that unless Marko Mitchell can play special teams he might not make the roster? That's just crazy. The guy is a receiver, he's big, he's fast, and he can catch the ball in the end zone over defenders as he demonstrated Saturday night. The only debate should be how to get him on the field come the regular season.

BTW, the talk in training camp was Devin Thomas had really come into his own. So far this preseason, we haven't seen it. Frankly, I don't know if this is because of Campbell, the scheme or the guy really is just not a gamer. We've seen more out of Kelly who should be behind Thomas. So what gives?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 24, 2009 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell looks like a real find so far. Another 7th round gem for Cerrato.

Posted by: Jason10 | August 24, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

glawrence007,
I don't know if you can discount Devin Thomas that quickly. I agree that he has shown nothing on the field, but is that Devin Thomas' problem or Jason Campbell's? I can't say, but so far none of the guys on the first team have done much. Campbell was, what, 1 for 7 on Saturday? He couldn't have hit the broad side of a barn with the football with a one step drop. Is that Devin Thomas' fault?

I have been quietly hoping that Campbell would take that next big step this preseason, but instead, he looks like a guy whose confidence is shattered. Maybe the right thing to do is demote him for a little while until he gets his mojo back. I thought the team was in a position to get rid of Collins this year, but I think I was wrong. It looks like now they might need him to start. Maybe Dan Snyder needs to call Jake Plummer personally and lure him out of retirement...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 24, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jason10 | August 24, 2009 8:23 AM

Now if we could get him to nail down Rounds 1-6, THEN we'd have something!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

From the Times:

Against Campbell, the Steelers rushed 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4 and 4 on his eight dropbacks.

OL held up well in pass pro, and did the job in the run game.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

seems to me like Campbell doesn't want/like to throw to Thomas. I don't know why. All the backups throw to him.

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | August 24, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Mitchell is not our #5 WR he is our #2 WR. Who cares if he can't play special teams, #2 WR should not have too. But Thomas on special teams as the $5

Posted by: poulosjoe | August 24, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm waiting for somebody to suggest we trade the whole WR corps except for Marko Mitchell. I guess he could make over-the-shoulder catches all game long.

That would make things easier for Jason. Oh wait, we cut Jason and kept Chase Daniel.

Gotta love preseason.

Thing about Campbell is, he's been dying for a tall receiver because he needs to throw the ball high in order to get it over the defender's head. Otherwise there's not enough air under it and the DB can bat it aside.

Maybe he's found his guy. Maybe not.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 24, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

If Collins is the starter for more than a few games this season, we all better hope that the 'Skins D is strong enough to carry the team (and score some TDs) the way the Ravens D did during their Super Bowl year with Dilfer a few years back. It's no accident that the guy's been a backup for all of his many years in the league; he's just not good enough to be a starter in this league. And I'm not suure how benching Campbell would help his confidence. Seems to me that it would have the opposite effect.

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 24, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Ugh, there is such a thing as placing TOO much emphasis on Special Teams.

I would rather have the best talent possible for all the skill positions and let ST sort itself out with whatever is leftover. It's not like any of those other guys were playing ST that well Saturday.

They should let the offense stick with the best players and the defense stick with its best players. It really concerns me that we could be letting talented guys walk because they can't cover kick-offs or punt returns. BFD!

Mitchell flat out deserves to be on the team, period.

Posted by: McMetal | August 24, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 6:51 AM

Mark your calendar. We agree.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

I completely agree!!! That's the problem with this franchise!!! They are more concerned of the name or salary the guy makes than results!! Never win that way..

Marko has earned a spot to start along side Moss IMO at this point in time. Kelly and Thomas haven't showed have of what MArko has.

Also, IMO Why does JC look the worst out of any of our 4 QB's? He is running will all first teamers.. I just seems like he doesn't have it. I am not getting on the chase bandwagon by any means but right now... I think I would start Collins week 1 if JC doesn't show drastic improvement. You can't wait forever on 1 guy holding the team back. Then take the year to groom Colt or Chase for next year.

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | August 24, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

good news for skins fans in boston we get to see the preseason game against the Pats on network tv... Bad news, though, its a preseason game against the Pats...
Zorn needs to let Colt and Chase play with the 1st line OLine and 1st line WRs to see what the Skins really have and who should stay. If he had done so last year in preseason, it might of vetted Colt's shortcomings earlier..
If Chase plays better again but, Colt remains... Its another re-affirmation that Snyder Marketing, Inc is in charge of Redskin's personnel decisions.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 24, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

"Special teams coach Danny Smith is tutoring Mitchell in an accelerated course. But with his lanky frame (he's listed at 6-feet-4, 218 pounds), I just don't see him becoming very good at teams."

I'm a little confused, is the problem that he's too tall for Teams? Or that he doesn't weigh enough? James Thrash according to NFL.com was shorter, and weighed more sure, but he was also a 12 year vet. *James Thrash weight: 6-0 Weight: 204

I'll agree with some I've been a JC supporter for a while, but the last game looked a bit eh. I'm not sure if it was the play calling or JC, or both. The two screens were snuffed out early so two of those incompletions are essentially smart plays. The play to kelly to open the game was either a bad route, or JC taking too long to deliver, I lean to the later.

That wasn't the only concern. Running Betts to the left on Third down was stupid. I saw that play coming, and the funny thing is a Roll out/bootleg combination could have worked there.

Someone explain to me why we don't roll out or boot leg more?

Posted by: Veretax | August 24, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 6:51 AM | Report

I was going to say the exact same thing TE. If he doesn't make the team because of special teams play and he doesn't have a strong background in special teams play, then why the hell bring him in? He has made the team based on his performance as a receiver which I believe is what he was listed as when they drafted him. I think Danny Smith needs a crash course on special teams!!

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Some Skins fantasy talk:

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Thats funny because IMO they should cut Betts to make room for Mason and Dorsey. We should keep Portis, Cartwright, Mason and Dorsey. Seniority is killing this team. Keep the guys who can help the most. Not the guys who are un-dynamic but safe bets because they were here already and you know what they can do.

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

bingo slimbo..
You hit it on the head and the primary difference between the Skins and successful NFL franchises..
The Pats are a good example of a team that plays the better player, not the size of their Contract. I think Snyder is the driver for this Redskin modus operandi...... Its a classic business case of "return on investment".. And Snyder wants his ROI...
Thats why Collins didnt start last year (makes about one tenth of JC)... Even though he was clearly the better QB.

Pats HC Belichick always states in the media, that the player that "wins" practice, plays on Sunday. Regardless of Contract size.
This is why the Pats always uncover and develop new talent....
And it is probably why Redskin's players never seem to show the same passion as other teams... Why try to succeed if the guy playing ahead of you stays, due to his Contract size?
This Redskins management problem is well known among the league's head coaches.. And it is most likely why the likes of Spags and others didnt want to be the Redskins Head Coach.

It will be interesting to see the Cuts.. Last year the two top performing players in preseason were cut.. Mullen at WR and Mason at RB.. Not much invested in them.. And not selected in the Draft...

Will Zorn make a stand this year and say, forget the Contract size or Draft position, lets keep and play the best players?

Will Dan and Vinny let him?

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: slimbo-Rice | August 24, 2009 9:36 AM |

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 24, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Here's the video of Moss talking about MITCHELL !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 24, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

so Colt Brennan talks like a 12 year old girl...like...like....like ...like!

Posted by: gatsu | August 24, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Am I the only guy who remembers talking about us needing to sign D.J. Hackett last year? Now I see why it was not a priority.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | August 24, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Campbell is playing scared and it shows on the field....all of ownership's efforts to replace him during the offseason have hurt his confidence even if Zorn won't admit it. I think it will be a matter of time (2-3 regular season games), before Zorn has no choice but to bench JC and start Collins to give the team a chance to win. Zorn will be under pressure for ownership to make a change if JC starts slowly to begin the season IMO.

This season is going to be about the defense shutting down the other teams, creating TO's, and scoring points. The offense simply doesn't look any better than last year's version. I see a lot of 17-14 games where we win because of defense and special teams.

Posted by: wizfan89 | August 24, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

So here's what i think we should do this year with the skins is open the playbook for colt and chase b/c i think we have a gem with one of those guys. Marko is a future stud, so what i think we keep him, con't to grrom him b/c how many good years do you honestly think are other wide outs have left? this year i think that we should carry six wide outs and four qbs. and as far as the o-line we need to revamp it. time to bring in some young guns in to fight it out. you need to take what other teams do with the d-line and apply it to the o-line and that keep bring in young guys for the future.

Posted by: MGDMaster21 | August 24, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

'Campbell is playing scared and it shows on the field....all of ownership's efforts to replace him during the offseason have hurt his confidence'

Huh? NFL is a business and if any player allow owners to hurt their confident, then they should not be in the NFL, period! Furthermore, Jason is a QB which require to be a leader not a wussy. If his confident is hurt, replace him right away until he man up.

Posted by: demonj21 | August 24, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I love reading all the comments about Dorsey over Mason and how we need a punt returner.... Let's look at the facts......
1) Moss and R. El will return punts
2) When Betts went down last year the Skins was left to bring in Shawn Alexander off the couch because Zorn did not trust Rock to run the ball because Rock is not a pure runner but a good special team player
3) Mason was released last year because the last Preseason game he had brain farts and missed key blitz pickups in that last preseason game.... When he became available via waivers we grabbed him with every intentions on keeping him this time around because he can run the ball which can't be said for Rock.
4) In the past two games Mason have picked up every blitz and played well on special teams... Review the tapes or re-watch NFL Network to see for yourself when they replay the games
5) Dorsey is not the same as Marcus when running the ball because Dorsey will always run outside because he need space and Marcus will create space and he has great field vision. This is the NFL and the players here are fast and the field is smaller ( CFL )so getting to the outside on every run will not work... Ask Reggie Bush.....
6) Zorn and staff knew if they brought Marcus back this time that he will run well again for the third str8 year but this time Marcus just had to make plays, block well, practice hard, and learn the offense..... He has done that and you can see in his play that he is ready to contribute this year.....

Is he a punt returner? no, have others for that role
Can he play Special teams as well as Rock? not now but experience is the best food for growth.
Can he run the football? Yes, and he will make plays as he gets more time now and throughout the regular season.

The coaching staff has already made plans to keep Marcus but Marcus must not make any bone head mistakes over the next two weeks....

Posted by: thebanker21 | August 24, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: outsider6 | August 24, 2009 7:14 AM

Now all we need is a good qb to get the ball to Marko.

Posted by: nsnwozo | August 24, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse