Mother (at least Haynesworth's) knows best

Albert Haynesworth's mother, Linda, has held many jobs and at the moment is a semi-retired truck driver. She said she has no plans to become a motivational speaker, but she apparently had a positive affect on the Redskins last week.

Linda gave a pep talk to members of the organization, including Coach Jim Zorn, encouraging them to be positive and "just go out have fun." She told them if they did, "it'll be okay."

Well, the Redskins ended a losing streak at four games with a 27-17 victory over the Denver Broncos at FedEx Field. Not surprisingly, Linda was pleased.

"Very pleased," she said. "Those guys had so much pressure on them. That's why you need to have a short-term memory. You have to just go out there and have fun.

"If you make a mistake, you just move on. Don't worry about what other people are saying. Just go out there and do what you love to do. And this is just the beginning."

Encouraging words never hurt, but I'd feel more confident about the Redskins beginning a winning streak if they could face Broncos backup quarterback Chris Simms a few more times.

Daniel cut

ESPN reported that the New Orleans Saints have cut quarterback Chase Daniel in order to sign cornerback Chris McAlister to the roster.

By Jason Reid  |  November 18, 2009; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Here's What Happened / Here's What I Think
Next: Smith is NFC special teams player of week

Comments

Maybe Haynesworth's Momma can tell him to rub a little dirt on that ankle and get back out there on the field... They need the big guy to wreak havoc in the middle.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 18, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Well at least we can feel better about the decision to cut Chase Daniel. For a minute it looked like we messed up when the saints were interested. With the saints also dismissing him, it looks like we didn't mess that up after all.

Posted by: REXskins | November 18, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Daniel to Saints PS.

Book it. I'm taking ALL bettors...

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 18, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

A win-win for the Skins and Campbell. A Trade MArket has been created......

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 18, 2009 10:04 AM |

Teams have been reviewing JC for the past month (Rams; whose coach has seen JC play for several years) as the Redskins struggles on offense continued.

Posted by: TWISI | November 18, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I'd happily take those picks, although I think they could get better. If this draft is as deep as they say, those will have more value than in other years.

Posted by: TWISI | November 18, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Twis, there is no way they get a 4th for Campbell. They were willing to take a 3rd for him when they were desperate to move him, everyone in the league knows we don't want him, no team will give up any picks to get a guy they know we'll probably let walk or if we tender him they wouldn't give up a 3rd last to sign him as an RFA if they wouldn't give a 3rd last year because he's done nothing but look worse than last year and get benched.

Rogers, someone may take a shot and sign him if we tender him at the 3rd level....doubt it though, who wants a malcontent corner that can't cover a double move or catch the ball. The problem with CR22 is he's always felt he's a star and he's not even close. At best he's an average corner, but he feels like he's a top 5 most teams don't want guys like that.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone heard reports that Haynesworth's injuries on the field are theatrics....that he is hotdogging and not really injured? I heard this and state it as a rumor only.

Posted by: hz9604 | November 18, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Hold the presses...I am sure that RI faithful will be coming full force with sign Chase Daniel, he is our savior discussion...

I just hope that we can sack the crap out of d bag Romo with our DL and take advantage of the guy replacing Colombo...

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

As annoyed as I, and evidently Jerry Grey, am with Carlos Rogers' play and post game comments...I'm thinking he's our best matchup on Roy Williams this weekend. (I'm assuming Hall will mostly line up against Austin.) I'm hoping CR has figured out that playing well is how he can set himself up for next year and that getting sat down was the adjustment he needed. Plus, there is no way RW11's double move is a good as Marshall's...right? Anyone? Please?

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 18, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you on that -- this is the week I really wish Orakpo played DE all game. With him, Jarmon, Daniels and AH rotating against their backup RT, we really shouldn't have a problem getting to Romo.

Posted by: mattylight | November 18, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

So if Chase Daniels had the middle name Jack, would his real name be Coke?

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

zjfr2 I disagree on JC. Last year, they weren't as many teams looking for a QBs who could be the primary backup or potentially start. In addition JC is going to be in the top three of FA Qbs this offseason; particularly if he can get the team to go 5-3 over the last 8 games. We'll see but I think the law of supply and demand will boost his trade value.

Posted by: TWISI | November 18, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

My biggest worry with CR is that he will go out there and play with no heart, no effort, no care in the world, more of a I know I wont be here next year, so why should I care mentality...we cant have that against the Cowboys.

Wonder what these guys do when they have bad weeks, cant go home and spark up a spliff, you think they just get hammered or just screw as many chicks as possible to let it all out...

I really hope he shows up if he gets to play this weekend.

Other worry...Skins play prevent/ shell defense and Romo burns us with screen passes to Choice and Austin for big gains, since we have trouble tackling - LL

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

we need a Lavaresque hit on Romo...good night Romo from Orakpo

Is Orakpo as fast as Lavar was in his playing day.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see the Redskins reclaim QB Daniels. He showed promise as a rookie in pre-season. When (not if) Jason Campbell leaves at the end of this season, the only free agent QBs available will be Charlie Batch, Kyle Boller, Mark Brunell, David Carr, Daunte Culpepper, A.J. Feeley, Rex Grossman, Josh McCown, Chad Pennington, Chris Redman, Brian St. Pierre. Not exactly an impressive list. If the Skins rely on the draft for a new QB (which is a real crapshoot with Vinny judging talent!), it'll take a couple of years to develop that pick. Daniels looks better all the time as a prospect for next year.

Posted by: MrMerkin | November 18, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 18, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Not in a year when there are potentially 6 to 8 young QBs in the draft that are as physically talented as JC and don't carry the baggage of all the systems and hits plus the other excuses ya'll always make for JC. I don't argue he's be the most attractive UFA if he hits the market, but I don't think anybody will give up a 3rd this year when they wouldn't last year, what's changed? Stop overvaluing him just because you like him, if nobody would give up a 3rd last year they aren't this year....

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

zjfr2 the Raiders, the Browns, the 49ers aren't investing in a 1st round QB, heck they most likely won't spend a 2nd on a QB.

Posted by: TWISI | November 18, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game last Sunday and it was a fabulous day - great weather and I thought we played really competitively. For some odd reason I was not really worried about us losing during the game (RARE for me).

However, I DVR'd the game and watched it last night and if I had not known the outcome I would have been in a panic. We made a lot of mistakes that were not apparent to me last Sunday. Maybe this is a good thing, though. We made a lot of mistakes but still won.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

lisa, can you elaborate on the mistakes??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I didn't realize the 49ers were in the QB market, Alex Smith has played pretty well since coming back in but whatevs. Agree to disagree, you think after a season that has seen Campbell play worse than last year, the team tank, and he get benched that teams are going to line up and trade for him at a level they wouldn't last year, I don't....

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Forget the JC argument, fact is we can't afford to use a pick on a QB this year. The draft class might be "deep" but that's just code for "not that talented," IMO. Tebow and McCoy have regressed this season -- their numbers are down across the board. Same with RI favorite Jevan Snead. Maybe some think Locker or Clausen is a franchise QB, but I don't think either is a lock. We need offensive lineman, perhaps a corner if we kick Rogers off the property, our RB's are old, and our safety's are a liability at times.

Save QB for 2011...

Posted by: mattylight | November 18, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

zjfr2, I think there are teams out there that would be willing to trade a third rounder for JC.

He may not be great but he is proven and he could help a few teams right away, I don't think you could say the same thing for a qb coming out of college and going in the 3rd.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 18, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what "system" is a good match for Campbell. What do you call the system where you overthrow the receivers on long routes and throw it at their feet on short routes?

Len P. had a long talk with Campbell's agent before he wrote his piece. "Look, Len, here's how you can stick it to the Redskins....."

Posted by: League-Source | November 18, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | November 18, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I agree with what you're saying but I still think we need a young QB. IMHO we need to sign a FS, a corner, a Guard, re-sign Levi Jones and another Tackle, a SLB. The draft should be LT, QB, RB, Guard, big DE (Daniels and Wynn are gone Jarmon will start next year but we'll need depth).

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I think the most annoying comments from this blog (not this particular post, but in general) are people constantly saying we should trade ARE, Portis, Campbell, etc. and stock up on solid draft picks. It's constantly mentioned by folks as an idea that should seriously be pursued EVERY day up here.

This isn't fantasy football or Madden. Trades don't happen in the NFL just because one team wants to get rid of a player. If a player is traded, it's for a 6th or 7th round pick...maybe a 4th or 5th if the player is young and there is an immediate need (Vinny's horrible track record notwithstanding). Plus, every player that people consistently say we should trade either has a monster salary cap hit or is a free agent next year (or flat out sucks at this stage in their career), which means no team is going to trade for them. If the Redskins are clearly trying to get rid of someone, other teams will wait until we cut them or fail to resign.

In the holiday spirit, please stop talking about trading our veterans as if it's even a remote possibility. It's really annoying, shows you don't know sh!t about the NFL, and opens up a dialogue about something that isn't even plausible.

I wonder if we could trade Moss and a 4th to Arizona for Boldin?

Posted by: Section104 | November 18, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

========

get over it.

We won bc our offense finally showed up. The team you expected to score 10 points scored 27, fourteen with orton in. That's not on Simms. Stop bringing up Chris Simms unless you also mention we were missing cooley, samuels, portis and thomas.

Your act is getting tired.

Posted by: AdamCr | November 18, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Not saying this would happen, but I think Campbell to the Vikings could work out.

Assuming Farve comes back next year, you could give Campbell a year to learn the offense. They have a good o-line and a strong running game and I'm not sure they completely trust TJack.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 18, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2009 10:32 AM

That's because of the alcohol consumed at the tailgate and during the game! I wasn't worried at all, just like you, and it was one of the best game experiences I've ever been at in 6 years of going to FedEx. The crowd was very into it and friends of mine said it sounded very loud on tv.

Posted by: Section104 | November 18, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | November 18, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I am down with the idea of getting another QB. I just want to make sure it's a franchise-type guy. If we go get someone for the sake of getting someone, and he doesn't pan out, the Skins are set back another 3-5 years. So all I was saying is, IMO, there isn't someone out there this year who makes me say "Go get him, no matter what." So for this draft, I'd rather go stopgap (whether that means re-signing JC to a 1 or 2 yr. deal, or bringing in a veteran like Kitna, Pennington, McNabb if available, etc.) and get the other necessary pieces we need, then go for a QB in the 2011 or 2012 draft...

Posted by: mattylight | November 18, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

League...don't forget the bullets JC throws on slants and crosses that are just close enough to the receiver for him to reach out and get his hands on, but not close enough for him to have a legit chance to haul in....causing a soft pop-up for the approaching safety that even Carlos Rogers could catch. (well that may be a stretch)

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 18, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | November 18, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

what has he proven? that he is inaccurate, has a slow delivery, locks on to receivers, can't read defenses, and that after 5 seasons is at best mediocre despite 3 different systems getting to sit behind a vet for a while and a lot of great offensive minds working with him........isn't it funny that Gibbs is a legendary offensive mind that got a broke down Brunel into the playoffs but couldn't produce with JC, Saunders leads one of the most prolific offenses for years comes here works with JC and is suddenly an idiot except for the stretch that Collins runs his offense. Then they bring in Zorn for his reputation of molding QBs and his work with Matty H. and Zorn works with JC and suddenly he's the biggest idiot in the league? I don't argue Zorn was miscast as head coach but he had a good track record of work with QBs, has two seasons with JC and he's regressed and gotten benched. At some point when does somebody say that JC is a physically talented guy with great leadership and a wonderful team-first attitude that outside of brief flashes of good play just can't get it done on a consistent basis? He's a back up, most of the league already recognized this last year when nobody would trade a 3rd for him, that you guys think this year has done anything to change that is amazing to me. IF someone were to offer it we should do it before they finish their sentence and throw in that ham sandwich we're always trying to get rid of as well, but I just can't see how it would happen.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 18, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MColeman51 | November 18, 2009 10:49 AM

So, what do you call that offense? I'm still searching for the name. Only one team in the league seems to play it -- the Redskins -- and JC's a perfect fit.

Posted by: League-Source | November 18, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

BEEPS

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

lisa, can you elaborate on the mistakes??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

To name a few: Very obvious - the 2 TDs Orton threw to a WIDE OPEN Brandon Marshall. Also, another TD pass in the end zone that Smoot broke up - Smoot leaped high in the air to knock it away - pretty amazing play from Smoot but what if Rogers had been in there?

Also JC almost fumbled the ball and the Broncos recovered it but the play had been whistled dead and we got forward progress.

Also, JC did not have a very accurate game but still managed it well.

It was little things but still unnerving.

The positives that were more apparent on TV: The HIT (banging!!) that Lorenzo Alexander put on Lamont Jordan and the hit Andre Carter put on Marshall.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 18, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

it was rocky mac who hit marshall, great 3 day late analysis of everything we've been talking about though.......

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I am hoping that we see a new revitalized JC on Sunday, Wins always help with confidence and the media has been up his Arse this week...hopefully the confidence will build.

JC also did things last sunday that we have not seen in a long time, taking a hit and delivering the ball, rushing again and hanging in the pocket long enough to give WR a chance. I think alot of that is on S. Lewis, but who knows, we arent there daily, but seems to work towards JC strengths. It will be soon, hopefully that he hits Moss in stride, but I honestly prefer he hit DT11 with a long ball, I want to see that kid run down the sideline for a bomb.

When JC was protected early last year, we all wanted some JC...

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 18, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Is Orakpo as fast as Lavar was in his playing day.

Posted by: mhartz1

I don't know if BOrak is as fast as Lavar in his playing days, but I believe he's a better football player -- less hype and flash, more discipline, better results. The decision to put BOrak at LB was controversial with fans, but I have yet to hear a complaint out of the player. He's let his 7.5 sacks and all-around solid game do most of the talking.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | November 18, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Best case scenario 2010-2011 OL:

RT- Mrs. Haynesworth
RG- Tyler Hansbrough
C- Mary Lou Retton
LG- AI
LT- That Home-makeover guy

Posted by: ElYeah | November 18, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I think getting rid of JC would be a dumb move. for the simple reason that you dont need a franchise QB to win the super bowl. The redskins did not win any super bowl with a franchise QB also, the ravens won with Trent dilfer, the bucs won with Brad johnson.

I think this offseason if we invest at least two top picks in lineman, sign a lineman in FA, we will be ok.

If you have a great offensive line then all you need is someone to manage the game and occassionally win the game for you which JC has shown that he is capable of doing. ( notice I did not say everygame but he can win 3 or 4 games if he had to)

Posted by: GreatOne1 | November 18, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

"...Lavaresque..."

Is this a word?

I guess adding -esque to a name makes it a state of being related to that individual.

Think of the additions to the English Language:

Kanyewestesque: the state of being drunk and rude and beefing about nothing

Flavaflavesque: the state of crackhead behavior while wearing a large clock around one's neck.

Richeisenesque: the state of having football knowledge and humor flowing all at the same time.

Meganfoxesque: the state of being lucky enough to 'hit' a fox.

Davechappellesque: the state of being the funniest dude on the planet who suddenly disappears.

Jimmykimmelesque: the state of being unfunny and yet somehow famous.

Hiphopesque: the state of once being a powerful art form, but now a tired commercialized product as ordinary as a McDonald's Happy Meal.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 18, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Mom can call the offensive plays. Maybe Mom can be head coach. This for sure, Mom would be a better Owner than Little Danny.

Posted by: jcpublicmedia | November 18, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcpublicmedia | November 18, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Redskin fan but many of you guys suck!!!!!

I agree that Jason Campbell would not warrant a 3rd round pick. It's not all because of talent, but the way the Skins front office has treated him!!! any GM worth his pay knows the guy will be "free" and available after the season. And JC is not so good that a team would need to overspend a draft pick to get him. ONLY THE REDSKIN FRONT OFFICE IS THAT IMPATIENT! A seasoned Gm would weigh him vs. say the chance to get Boller or Batch.

2nd, people are talking about getting all these great players in next years draft like it is an automatic. HAVE YOU NOT NOTICED THE PLAYER PERSONNEL DECISIONS FOR THE REDSKINS THE PAST 10-YEARS!

If we let JC walk, we are on yet another 2 to 5 year QB search. People need to smell that reality. Matt Ryans and Sanchez's are not out there every year. And to get one we might have to forgo another need like left tackle. so if JC walks, we'll have some bum holding the spot until we draft a QB or the drafted guy is ready to start their apprenticeship. Realize what you are asking for. the Redskins have had this carousel since Snyder forced out Brad johnson for Jeff George. Remember that?

I was at the game. Folks blamed Campbell for any and every pass that was not caught. the guy is not great, but he is decent. He hit guys in their hands (Davis, moss, Betts) and they dropped it. Yet, folks sad come on Campbell. Santana Moss trots on a route, and then tries to explode and JC over throws him. it looks like JC is the bad guy, but being at the game live I finally saw how Moss is not giving 100% every play.

i would be cool if the Redskins drafted a QB for the future, but after seeing the perspective free agent QBs i say stick with JC for 2 to 3 more years if possible while another QB develops.

Posted by: oknow1 | November 18, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse