Now It's Betts' Turn to Deliver

With the season drawing closer, it will be really interesting to watch Ladell Betts in his new role as the Redskins' primary third-down back.

Coach Jim Zorn rewarded Betts with an expanded role in the offense because of his hard work and professionalism. In addition, top back Clinton Portis should benefit from a decreased workload. At least that's the plan.

"It just gives me a chance to know for a certainty that I'm going to be in the game on that particular play," Betts said. "It's not like I'm coming in the game cold."

I receive a lot of negative, downright nasty email about Betts from Insider readers. Many of you think he's just not very good, is hurt too often and was paid way too much off of one good season when Portis was hurt. Okay, I get it.

None of that, however, necessarily means he could not be productive in his new role under Zorn. I really don't think the coaching staff was trying to punish Portis for his lackadaisical approach to practice and the preseason. Betts just forced their hand because he brought it during offseason workouts.

The guy took a starter's approach every second he was on the field and Zorn noticed. Obviously, Betts has to deliver and he knows it.

"I know with certainty that I have to be ready for those particular plays" on third down, Betts said. "We have a certain set of plays for third-down situations, so I have to be very knowledgeable in those situations, and as far as the blocking schemes, because teams like to blitz in those situations. This is going to give me an opportunity to keep my mind fresh and be ready to go. I'm looking forward to it."

City Mouse, Country Mouse

Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas have a Gridiron Green Acres kind of thing going...without the pig.

By Jason Reid  |  August 31, 2009; 2:50 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Special Teams Should Be Secondary for D. Thomas
Next: Updates on Haynesworth, Rogers

Comments

You mean Betts'. Not Betts's.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 31, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

for sale

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Who the hejj thinks Betts sucks? Betts is as good a second back as you will find. In fact, he could start for several teams.

Posted by: cb6671 | August 31, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

UNO!

Posted by: Spanglerg | August 31, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

No matter how I look at it, I have us at 9-6 going into San Diego with a playoff spot likely on the line.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 31, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Who the hejj thinks Betts sucks?

Posted by: cb6671 | August 31, 2009 3:07 PM

Marcus Mason

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 31, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

talk, talk, talk. I can't remember a Skins player talked about more who contributed less. (Preseason heroes aside)

BETTS IS JUST OK.

Count me among the group who is sick of hearing about what a big role he is ready to play...that article has been written the past 5 years.

Once the season starts, his impact on the team will become invisible.

Posted by: McMetal | August 31, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

We have to trust the coaches to pick the best players
Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 31, 2009 1:32 PM

Wow, you must not be from around here……up here we all know way more than the coaches, the front office, and the beat writers. In fact, not only do we know more about football than the beat writers, but we know more about how they should be writing about the football, of which they know nothing about. “Trust the coaches”…..good one!

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 31, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Consensus has been reached.

Betts stays, Rock stays.

Marko Mitchell is all we get in the way of surprises.

Same, same, same...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 31, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

The Mayor has spoken:

Betts stays, Rock stays.

Marko Mitchell is all we get in the way of surprises.

Same, same, same...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 31, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I think Betts sucks.

As a runner he is mediocre, as a reciever he is okay, his blocking is subpar, he is overpaid, he is easily replaceable, and he's nearing 30.

I'd rather have younger, faster guys with the potential to improve over betts (who IMO has reached his limit as a mediocre backup)

IMO Betts is the Todd Collins of runningbacks...and idiot fanboys aside, Todd Collins is simply awful.

Posted by: ecale25 | August 31, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so if the football conversation is boring, we can always discuss these other important issues:

1) Def Leppard vs Van Halen
2) Heather Locklear vs Michelle Pheifer
3) Vanilla ice cream vs Chocolate ice cream
4) Coke vs Pepsi

Feel free to discuss.

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

And you had the nerve to say I act pompous. You do realize you are free to start a new discussion that I have no doubt would hold everyone's interest?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 31, 2009 3:02 PM

You didn't see the little smiley? Sheesh. ;)

I've started several new convos. Last one was about McNabb peeing on Vick again. They go no where. Redirecting this group is like stopping a lynch mob in Dodge City by pointing out that what they're doing is illegal.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 31, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

VH, Locklear, Chocolate, coke

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 31, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

You mean Betts'. Not Betts's.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 31, 2009 3:06 PM

----------

Rookie mistake.

I thought "journalists" knew the basic rules of punctuation?

No way JLA makes that blunder.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 31, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Betts has not been productive since we paid him the year he produced when Portis went down. Point blank, his skill sets have diminished or he is less enthusiastic about football; keep Mason younger and fresher legs and less money.

Posted by: Tom_square | August 31, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

anyone gonna be at the game Thursday? Originally from Ashburn, but live in Ponte Vedra now, me and a group are setting up shop on visitor's side, section 137 around 3.

Posted by: saltine182 | August 31, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

JR, Re: the letters from fans - it's only your first year. Soon you'll learn not to pay much attention to emails from Skins fans. That hate mail likely comes from the same folks who want Betts replaced with Marcus Mason. By and large, we just aren't the brightest bunch. Passionate, sure, but maybe 1-in-20 Skins fans has the slightest idea what's going on during the regular season, let alone the pre-season.

Posted by: bigfoot1 | August 31, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I like Betts but I don't give a S!%T about "his hard work and professionalism". There are a lot of guys who work hard and are very professional that shouldn't even sniff the field. Zorn should only play him if it will lead to more "WINS". Easy as that!

Posted by: mburns134 | August 31, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

dhaze,

That wasn't much of a conversation. You were supposed to give indepth analysis as to why you made your choices :)

As for me, I'm going with Def Leppard, Heather Locklear, Vanilla, Coke

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

VH, Locklear, Chocolate, coke

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 31, 2009 3:18 PM |
____

Yup.

Posted by: edvar | August 31, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

As long as those 3rd downs are 3rd and Longs...I am ok....Just NEVER EVA put Betts in 3rd and Short....

Why do people email JReid like his name is Vinny Cerrato?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 31, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Down with high fructose, carbonated beverages.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 31, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Ok, two things:

Number One) the Pig is the BEST PART.

Aaand

#1) Let me be among the first to state that Betts as a 3rd down back is going to be a BAD IDEA. Perhaps monumentally bad.

I could go into all the reasons why, but I don't think I need to. It won't matter anyway.

I just want to be on record: BAD IDEA.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

NICE Ritca, now we're talking. VH, and by a LONG margin, with both Sam or Dave at the helm.

Locklear, again, by a wide margin. MP has never ever done anything for me, way, way too skinny, have a couple dozen burgers, then we'll see.

Ice Cream, matters not the flavor, as long as it is Breyers.

Coke/Pepsi, try NEITHER. Can't and don't drink soda. I'm a water guy, drink about a gallon a day....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, who are these azzhats emailing the Mayor?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 31, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

No way JLA makes that blunder.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 31

Jla couldn't spell blunder.

Posted by: will_ga | August 31, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I just want to be on record: BAD IDEA.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2009 3:25 PM

----------

Let the record reflect, Dik thinks Ladell and 3rd downs is a bad idea.

Duly noted, and agreed...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 31, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Diazapan, Hashish, Vicodin, Coke...

...wait, what game are we playing again?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"That hate mail likely comes from the same folks who want Betts replaced with Marcus Mason. By and large, we just aren't the brightest bunch"

Ans they are also the same bunch who, during the regular season, demand that Betts replace Portis every time Ladell has good game.

Posted by: bigfoot1 | August 31, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I highly doubt that Zorn is giving Betts this “new role” because he was on time every day and simply “gave it his all” every play in practice. If that were the case, there would probably be a lot more 3rd down guys coming in on offense and defense. Sure he may have worked hard, etc, but I think it goes without saying that all this work and professionalism have shown RESULTS in practice….no coach in their right mind would be putting a scrub on the field if they weren’t producing in practice. So Betts hasn’t done much in the three preseason games….so what? He’ll see more action come 9/13, and will more than likely start showing some good plays. If he gets the action and consistently under whelms, then Zorn should pull him back. Until then, I’m going to believe the coaches rather then all the armchair talent scouts up here…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 31, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Bean,

I figured most would go with VH, but that whole Dave/Sammy thing kind of turned me against them. Not so much the music they were putting out, but the whole Dave vs Eddie bickering. It got old, kind of like discussing Mason vs. Cartwright.

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget benzodiazepines

DJ AM didn't.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 31, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. Coke and Pepsi out -- water, water, and more water...

Posted by: mattylight | August 31, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigfoot1 | August 31, 2009 3:20 PM

Speak for yourself Bigfoot1. You don't know me to group me. I know whats going on but I truly suspect that Jason Reid has the slightest clue at times....

Posted by: thebanker21 | August 31, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Diamond Dave era VH > than all forms of def leppard

Up till and including Pyromania era Def Lep > than Van Hagar

Van Hagar + Hysteria and beyond def lep = suck

Van Halen with that Extreme tool = possible point when "Hard Rock" jumped the shark for good.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 31, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Can't say I've missed the little scuzbag, but it's always illustrative to find out when they let the career criminals use the computer room.

Oh and by the way, John D. MacDonald doesn't care what you think, you megalomaniacal twit

Posted by: TheCork | August 31, 2009 2:39 PM |
------------------------------

You should be using the past tense, since Mr. Macdonald is deceased (not that you'd know that).

You're still a piker, Corksucker, and for that I'm grateful. It's nice to know some things never change.

Now get back to your little draft blog or whatever it's called and keep your thesaurus at the ready.

That is all.

(for now)

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | August 31, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is giving Betts the nod 'cause he still has it out for Portis and will try to break him surreptitiously.

...then again, I've been a conspiracy theorist ever since the Vesrace hit.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

And MP had one good movie scene (Hollywood Knights - when she was sun bathing) but I'll take HL. She even looks good in her hair commercials. Haha.

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

You mean Betts'. Not Betts's.

Posted by: Rypien11 | August 31, 2009 3:06 PM

----------

Rookie mistake.

I thought "journalists" knew the basic rules of punctuation?

No way JLA makes that blunder.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 31, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

There is nothing wrong with writing: Betts's

In fact, adding 's to a noun ending in "s" is the traditional way to do it (though not required). You can write it either way in English.
1. Don't hate on Reid
2. Please focus on football (especially when incorrectly correcting people)

Marcus Mason should not be on the roster if we have Betts (and we will). He doesn't provide anything different (except worse pass pro). Alridge is the best option as a 3rd RB (w/ Cartwright at RB4 for special teams)

Posted by: Sheriff_Gonna_Getcha | August 31, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Betts has never been a good blocker. If it's a choice between bad blocker Betts and bad blocker Mason, I'll go with Mason boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Championship!

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 31, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

That should be 'Versace'

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Women and Children First.

Fair Warning.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 31, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Not hatin', just joshin'

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 31, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

dhaze,
As for me, I'm going with Def Leppard, Heather Locklear, Vanilla, Coke
Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 3:22 PM

Sorry….how’s this?
VH rulz, Dead Leopards drulz.
Locklear rulz, Pheiffer drulz,
Chocolate rulz, vanilla drulz,
Colke rulz, pepsi drulz.

Anyone get the dead leopard’s reference? Guns and Butter!!????

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 31, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

VH, Locklear, Chocolate, coke

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 31, 2009 3:18 PM |

Double Yup

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 31, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

ugh, cl, why did you bring gary cherone up....I just puked in my mouth.....

saw VH 4 times, but never with Dave....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Alridge is to light in the ass to block in this protection scheme. Did you see him the other night? He was ran over....... Marcus took on Seymour an All Pro DE.

Posted by: thebanker21 | August 31, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

lol @ Chia - "Too Soon, Too Soon!!" (not really).

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to Sheriff's grammar knowledge. And double for backing AA. I'll believe in Betts when I see his performance in Week 1.

Posted by: pgugino | August 31, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

-Van Halen w/DLR > Def Leppard > Van Halen in any other incarnation.
-Heather Locklear...I mean, I watched Melrose Place and T.J. Hooker for crying out loud.
-Chocolate anything dessert > Vanilla anything dessert.
-Coffee, water, beer, wine

Posted by: 4-12 | August 31, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

VH actually played at my bachelor party. Sammy was awesome up in the rafters with the spotlight on him, singing "I Can't Drive 55"

Disclaimer: My groomsmen took me to the concert. We didn't actually hire them for the party...haha.

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Motorhead, Ushi Digart, Pecan Pie (w/ cool whip), Big Spliff.

...am I closer?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

learned -- on injuries and return guys, I've seen too many injuries to return guys (mostly PR). The one that was most costly was John Taylor. Not sure if you remember the guy, but he ran opposite Jerry Rice in SF. Was a brilliant WR, until he got hurt on a PR and the rest of his career after that was mediocre.

I don't like risking a 50 play a game player on a dangerous 4 plays per game role

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Please look at the B-more game when Collins completed a important 3rd down pass to Kelly in the Flats, Marcus picked up a block on a huge 94 which knock his helmet off but he mad the block. His blocking is much better and you guys need to start looking at the tape. Jason can lead you with thought that the kid is not blocking but go look at the pass three games and then tell what you think. He has played the most of all the RB in preseason and maybe had three or four blocking errors but he made many more key blocks this year.

Posted by: thebanker21 | August 31, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Who is Ushi Digart?

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

ZZ, if you don't stop being right THIS INSTANT!!! lmao.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

ZZ Top > than def lep

Posted by: chrislarry | August 31, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

1) Def Leppard vs Van Halen:
Van Halen

2) Heather Locklear vs Michelle Pheifer: Locklear

3) Vanilla ice cream vs Chocolate ice cream
Choc

4) Coke vs Pepsi
Coke (Pepsi is currently running a promo featuring the Cowboys. Boycott Pepsi products)

A few more:

Rolling Stones vs Beatles:
Stones

He-Man vs Superman:
He-Man

Ovaltine vs Nestle Quick
Ovaltine (they should call it round-tine)

Bo Duke vs Luke Duke:
Luke

Posted by: jgarrisn | August 31, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I'll take Daisy Duke!

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

For influence you'd have to go with the Beatles, but for listening enjoyment, I prefer the Stones.

I'll also take Superman, Nestle's Quik, and as previously stated, Daisy Duke.

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Spice Girls/Bananarama/The GoGo's > ZZ Top

Joking cl, joking.

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Betts on 3rd is a BAD IDEA.

But a bad idea whose time has come. Why? Because CP will still get most of the carries and a lot less pounding.

And if Betts can't take care of his blocking assignments and occasionally pick up the yards we need, then the writings on the wall.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 31, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't know, I just think that He-Man would bring kryptonyte and defeat Superman.

Posted by: jgarrisn | August 31, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Srry - Uschi Digard... m'bad.

hehehehehe

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 31, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Yo RITCA, I am pro Go Gos...Beauty & the Beat is a great album!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 31, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I hope it works, but can't block for crap.

Posted by: jmy999 | August 31, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Is that GoGo music or a Band named GoGos?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 31, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Dik,

I can see how you would be distracted by her umm spots, but I'll take Locklear over that. And if you're looking at other endowed starlets from a certain industry, why not try this one:

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

With training camp winding down, I’ve come back to give you my annual appraisal of performances here on Redskins Insider. I can’t rate all of you because too many are nebbishes with no personalities to speak of, but these bloggers stand out:

Most valuable player: dcsween
Biggest nit picker: talent_evaluator
Most poorly named: GreatOne1
Most unhinged: (tie) FIREJIMZORN, Barno1, sportsguru
Worst record: 4-12
Best friend: 4thFloor
Most humorless: zcezcest
Worst speller: Alex35332 (since Jasno left)
Most out to lunch: TheTruth11
Most out-of-the-blue: NateinthePDX
Most liked: CindyBoren
Thinnest skin: scampbell1975
Most bonus points: beantowngreg
Whiniest: leevi98
Least to offer: BlackBagOps/LittleGreenBag/BaggerVance/etc.
Posted by: FirstTimePoster | August 25, 2009 6:22 AM |

LMAO. I made fewer posts on this blog than many posters make in 5 minutes, I made them months ago and I get a shout out as a "stand out" blogger. Quite an accomplishment from someone rated as having the "least to offer".

PS. In case you are wondering about Bagger vs Bigger Vance, Bagger was taken when I registered and I never saw anybody posting under Bagger when I was active.

Posted by: BiggerVance | August 31, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I am pro Go Go music too, but was refering to band there.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 31, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

but what do I know, I am most retarded....

Posted by: chrislarry | August 31, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

So how many of you drafted Rock Cartwright and/or Marcus Mason on your fantasy football teams?

Yep, that's what I thought.

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Pro Go Go with congas. Anti roto tom, or bounce beat, or whatever the hell the kids are calling it.

Posted by: mack1 | August 31, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

BETTS has a 2 million roster bonus coming this season and a 900,000 salary.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 31, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Bigger:

Thanx for the innane report.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 31, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

dang, back to back post referencing ZZ -- once it was me, the other ZZ Top. Must admit, first time I've been confused with them

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Shave that ridiculous beard and I can pretty much guarantee it won't happen again, zeke.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 31, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Gotta mix-in some talent with being "hard working and professional". Betts isn't fast or elusive or effective in short yardage. He is not a good blocker and he fumbles. He does have good hands but we don't use him in the passing game. He does have a big contract so that makes him untouchable.

Posted by: coparker5 | August 31, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Where is Osi?

Suspend him for game one Coach Tom!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 31, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Love it when division rivals have problems

Where is Osi Umenyiora?

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 31, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"To tell you the truth, it would actually be a lot easier to keep Rock on the roster if Betts was a legitimate #2 in a 1-2 punch. As it is, Betts is much better as a spot starter than he is as a rotational back. For that reason, I think you need a "#3" RB that contribute on offense game in, game out, with limited carries.Posted by: psps23"

I'm just not hearing much in the way of evidence. Maybe I'm missing some chunk of fact.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Great... RI superlatives... f'n great.

Lawd take me, I done seens it alls now...

Most Improved, huh? I'd like to thank my Mom and Dad, without them it just isn't possible... My first grade teacher Ms. South, but by now she may be Mrs. South... My fellow RI bloggers... and this steady combination of Xanax and Valium I've been popping for the past year to keep me "down to earth".

Posted by: RedDMV | August 31, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I call jinx, someone needs to buy the other guy a coke, and neither can post till this happens.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Apparently after taking on the Redskins 2nd and 3rd stringers Bruschi calls it quits, begging for mercy.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 31, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

My sister is heading to New York next week. I will send the coke with her. Best I can do...

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 31, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Where is Osi?

Suspend him for game one Coach Tom!

Posted by: chrislarry

What cL said

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"Love it when division rivals have problems"

Schadenfreude!!!

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

bruschi was covering Cooley, when he got loose for that 73 yard gallop....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

curz, thats acceptable....continue posting...as you were.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, f football for just a sec here...

I hope Osi is alright. Athletes these days are being targeted like never before. A lot of youngins out there looking for a quick come up, and are looking at today's multi-million dollar athletes to do it.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 31, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"Listening to Danny Smith, and the high regard in which Coach Zen places his opinion,"...

If this is true, we are in trouble...I think our ST suck.

I am all for D. Thomas returning kicks, cutting Rock and cutting Betts early if he does not block well.

Anyone else concerned about the azzwhupping Moss handed down to D. Hall the other night, ouch.

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 31, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Def Leppard vs Van Halen

Tough. Van Halen music is much more impressive but thinking back I find myself singing Def Leppard songs in my head way more often. And don't get me wrong I liked Van Halen. It's just that I haven't ever gone back to it.

I think the big knock on Def is the lack of a second hand by the drummer really limited their beats. It was cool and all, but more of a novelty. Their drummer was like our Mike Williams making the 1st string. Great story but we would suck with him.

Posted by: jspin77 | August 31, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417

Just makes sure you have the saran wrap dipped in ammonia, wrapped in vaseline, and stuffed in cans of coffee.

And for gawd sakes, keep it under 65.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 31, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

On ZZ Top...playing the 9:30 Club in September. $75 a ticket!

Posted by: 4-12 | August 31, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

"It should be a win-win situation, Zorn figures, if Betts contributes more and Portis's legs are fresh for the fourth quarter. For his part, Betts is ready, he said."--RI, The Mayor

What happened to that Bettis guy? Was he cut?

Posted by: TheCork | August 31, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

They say great minds think alike and apparently Curzon and CL just proved that "Not-so-great minds think alike too!"

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

can't open the PFT link, whats going on with Osi?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Under Maxwell Smart "Missed it by that much" heading, this week's Darwin Award Winner

Calif. man dies after cliff diving on Lake Havasu

A 200-foot dive from a cliff at Copper Canyon on Lake Havasu proved deadly for a Costa Mesa, Calif., man.

The San Bernardino County Sheriff's office said the diver struck the rock face just one foot from the water.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

oh SNAP RITCA!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 31, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

RITCA, nice!

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 31, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

2) Heather Locklear vs Michelle Pheifer

Feel free to discuss.

Posted by: RlTCA |

Oh like any of us mouthbreathers here would have a shot at either of those fin MILFs.

Posted by: TheCork | August 31, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Where is Osi Umenyiora?
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 31, 2009 3:58 PM ET
If you are in the greater New York/New Jersey area and see Pro Bowl defensive end Osi Umenyiora, let him know the Giants are looking for him.

Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger reports via Twitter that Umenyiora "apparently went AWOL" Monday and Giants coach Tom Coughlin confirmed that it was an unexcused absence.

At this point, there isn't much information about the situation out there. Garafolo used the word "camp fatigue" in a later tweet, which could be mental.

Umenyiora has been looking for a new contract for a while, so that could be part of the equation. It's safe to say this isn't the last of this story you'll hear in the coming

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 31, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Betts blocking on third down when defenses blitz JC heavily. I don't know about that. CP is masterful at picking up the free man on the blitz. Could this be another part of the conspiracy to set JC up for failure?

Posted by: SPUD2 | August 31, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Only one of the two people involved can call 'Jinx'. The one who does not call Jinx FIRST can not post for the rest of the day....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 31, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

mhartz1, nay concerns about Hall getting "worked" by R. Moss.

Except for those seasons in Oakland, he's been doing that since day one coming into the NFL.

I remember watching that Dallas game on Thanksgiving, I think it was thanksgiving... Anyway 3 catches, 163 yards, 3TDs.

He's been making dudes look dumb silly for a while now. Not concerned about him molesting D'Angelo Hall.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 31, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

curz, thanks, strange.......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

jinx!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 31, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

On ZZ Top...playing the 9:30 Club in September. $75 a ticket!

Posted by: 4-12

On ZZcestsetc ... playing with his oatmeal in September. 11¢ a ticket!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 31, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

hold down the exciment there cL...it's not that kind of refreshment...

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 31, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

I know, we have as much chance of shacking up with one of them as we do in deciding who gets cut from the team. It was just a diversion to get off of the Rock/Mason debate.
So anyway, who would you take (in a dream world)?

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

RITCA: bang, marry, kill:

Locklear, pfifer, Meg Ryan?

Posted by: chrislarry | August 31, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

damn, missed your post 4th.

I'm out...

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 31, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

It's a regular air show out here. Two Superscoopers, a Mars Mariner, and both a DC-10 and a 747 are being used to fight the fires. Pus the usual brigade of choppers.

It's quite an upgrade over the converted Herkie-birds, Neptunes and DC's they used to use. One of the most painful sights I've seen on Youtube was that C-130 that cracked a main spar and had its wings fold up on a fire run.

Without a wind, there are Pyrocumulous clouds topping out over 20,000 feet. The smoke is just plotzing making it even more dangerous for the air resources.

And hand it to the firefighters who operate in heavy unis in 100 plus heat while toting around their enormous brass ones.

Two firemen killed, say a prayer, hamsters.

Posted by: TheCork | August 31, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

So anyway, who would you take (in a dream world)?

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 4:45 PM

Cork will take whichever one Vinny doesn't take and then blast Vinny for not taking him/her.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 31, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Posted by: BeantownGreg1
--------------------------------
Okay Bean, shouldn't you have said someone needs to buy the other guy a water???

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

"I wanted to clarify something: what's the reason for thinking Betts isn't adequate as a 3rd down back? Or that Marcus Mason would be superior in that capacity?"

For Betts, as a rotational back, his best YPC was his rookie year, at 4.7. After that, if you subtract the year he was a starter (meaning not a rotational player producing off limited carries), his YPC throughout his career looks like this: 3.3, 4.1, 3.8, 3.6, 3.4. His reception totals, minus the one year he received significant starts: 12, 15, 15, 10, 21, 22.

Betts has had ample time to show his worth as a rotational back. He has underperformed. If you look at rotational backs around the league, the trend is to find guys with high YPC, or short-yardage, goal-line vultures. Jerious Norwood, Darren Sproles, Leon Washington, Derrick Ward, Ahmad Bradshaw, Jonathan Stewart, these guys were all upper echelon in YPC. Betts wasn't even in the top 50 RBs last season in YPC, or even that close at all. And we all know Betts is not Bettis when it comes to short-yardage situations.

Do we know if Mason would do better? No. But we do know that Betts was not and has not been good in that role since his rookie year. And, IMO, Mason has shown enough that he could be given a shot.

Betts can still play as the "3rd down back", if that means obvious passing situations. That's fine, if that's what the coaching staff deems will magnify his strengths and cover his weaknesses. But he hasn't shown that he's equipped to provide breaks for CP in the regular flow of the game. That's where a 3-back rotation can fit in, with Mason cycling in on 1st and 2nd downs for CP (when needed), and Betts as the "3rd down" back. But the underlying point was that Rock isn't providing either of those roles. That, on top of the idea that he's pretty replaceable in every on-field role he provides, is why his name is being tossed up for the chopping block.

Posted by: psps23 | August 31, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

rit, good call....I messed that up 9 ways from sunday.....how about if I give you 10,000 bonus points, to make this whole thing go away....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 31, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

RITCA: bang, marry, kill:

Locklear, pfifer, Meg Ryan?

Posted by: chrislarry
----------------
Do I have to choose to kill one of them?? I would bang Pfifer, marry Locklear (cuz then I could bang her a whole lot more) and I have no interest in Meg Ryan (but I wouldn't want to kill her). She just comes across as too needy and whiney. On second thought...

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

it better be betts' turn to deliver, we ought to get something out of the millions we paid him for a good 12 game stretch sooooo long ago. Since then he's done ummmmmmm nothing.....I'm holding out hope they come to their senses and dump rock and keep mason and aldridge, two or three screens to aldridge a game would be a nice way to keep blitzing teams honest, if they know a guy can house it on them if they are to aggressive.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 31, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

You must not be married.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 31, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

1. VH vs. DL-I will go with VH but I have to say Beatles Vs. Stones is a more interesting matchup...Beatles...they were consistently groundbreaking...although The Stones were/are a great rock band...don't know how much ground they broke.
2. HL vs. MP- From my limited exposure to them as younger women, I'd have to go with MP...has a bit more of an exotic feel to me.
3. Chocolate- hard to come up with a rationale for a flavor.
4. Pepsi-same as above.

Posted by: FITS | August 31, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Contrary to popular belief, sex doesn't end after the honeymoon. And without dragging out my earlier comment, I'd prefer to spend more time around HL than MP (hence the marrying part).

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Cork,

So anyway, who would you take (in a dream world)?

Posted by: RlTCA |

Oh I know THAT.

Which one I would take in the dream world would depend if I was looking for an actress or a lover.

For the record, Michelle as the actress.

Posted by: TheCork | August 31, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

beebs

Posted by: Curzon417 | August 31, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

beepity beep beep

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 31, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

peeb peeb

Posted by: RlTCA | August 31, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

See this is what upset me about my skins..

Why are we even talking about betts??

The dude sucks!!! If portis is our best blocking running back, then what is there to talk about??

Posted by: taylormade218 | August 31, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Why do people email JReid like his name is Vinny Cerrato?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 31, 2009 3:24 PM

Because some "people" are preparing for a future season with a different racquetball partner.

Posted by: dcsween | August 31, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

The only thing I want betts to deliver is my pizza and wings on Sunday 9/13/09 at 3:50..25min before kickoff...

Posted by: taylormade218 | August 31, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

psps: "If you look at rotational backs around the league, the trend is to find guys with high YPC, or short-yardage, goal-line vultures. Jerious Norwood, Darren Sproles, Leon Washington, Derrick Ward, Ahmad Bradshaw, Jonathan Stewart, these guys were all upper echelon in YPC. Betts wasn't even in the top 50 RBs last season in YPC, or even that close at all."

Thanks for clarifying that. I see your point if you look at yards per carry and ignore yards per reception. If you look at the receiving, Betts ranks much higher:

Sproles: 11.8 ypr
Derrick Ward & Jerious Norwood: 9.4
Ladell Betts: 9.1
Ahmad Bradshaw: 8.4
Leon Washington: 7.6
Jonathan Stewart: 5.9

Stewart and Derrick Ward probably shouldn't be considered at all, since they carried the ball more than 180 times last season, or about three times as much as Betts. Betts also doesn't fumble often; only once in 61 carries last year -- all the others had more. And Betts' yards per carry was not far off from Portis' -- the Skins were a decent running team, but you compared them to some of the very best (NYG, CAR, ATL, SD).

If receiving is the most important trait in a WCO 3rd down back (along with not turning the ball over), then Betts is quite acceptable. If the Skins are looking for a true change of pace back to alternate with Portis, he's probably not our guy.

One consideration: if Portis does go down with an injury, Betts can replace him as the primary back. Some of the smaller backs on that list would struggle over, say, half a season.

As far as Marcus Mason, he remains an unknown. That's his biggest weakness as well as (it sounds like) his biggest strength as far as this blog goes.

We'll see what Zorn chooses.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

I hate to sound like the "hater-fans" but it appears to me, (I have a limited memory of game events-I have football dementia)
that Betts has a knack to run into large defensive linemen instead of going through or around them. Is he better than Rock or Mason at this stage viz-a viz the "ceiling" or the "roof" Zornistically?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 31, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

sorry, "knack for" (sorry to all my English teachers)

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 31, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Betts is an average runner at best who needs almost perfect blocking, otherwise he's going nowhere. No vision, no elusiveness, and no substantial burst. Good hands, average to below average blocking. And last but not least, prone to fumble at the most inopportune times, and not a good short yardage or redzone runner.

He worked hard and proffessionaly in the offseason. Okay. And,is that going to produce results once he's on the field in the regular season that lead to the Redskins winning ball games? We soon shall see.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 31, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I really do not get why we are insisting on going with the same ole mediocre players and expecting better than mediocre results.

Betts sucks. Can we please get rid of him. Please?

Posted by: keino83 | August 31, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to know, which team could Betts start for?

Posted by: keino83 | August 31, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: A-Contrario | August 31, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

72redskins: 'And last but not least, prone to fumble at the most inopportune times..."

Must be really inopportune times, because ordinarily, he doesn't fumble. Last season, he had 71 carries and 22 receptions and put it on the ground exactly once. That's 1.2%. Slightly worse than the season before, when he also fumbled once, but had quite a few more carries. In fact, for his career (720 carries, 148 catches), he's fumbled exactly 13 times (1.5%) -- not exactly butterfingers.

Darren Sproles and Ahmad Bradshaw are at about 5%, Leon Washington at around 2.5. Jerious Norwood is slightly better than Betts. Now there's a back worth trading for.

Marcus is at 0.0, based on no carries or receptions for his career.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

"When you are 8-8 and you have not won anything of note since 1991 everyone's job should be open.Betts had one good half a season when Portis got hurt and that has been his calling card since.Betts is a good player but how good is he if the team is 8-8 with or without him?Posted by: A-Contrario"

Using that standard, how good is Portis? Fletcher? Moss? Any player? Any coach? I suppose with that rationale you could justify dumping anybody.

Maybe I've discovered how Al Davis thinks.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

"I love it when people assert things like "he could start for a few teams" but then don't list one team he could start for.
I'd love to know, which team could Betts start for?Posted by: keino83"

Based on last season? Given injuries, you could argue he might well have started games at Detroit, Seattle, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Cincinnati... there were a bunch of teams that really struggled at the position during the season.

We know he can't beat out Clinton Portis. But if Portis went down, he could probably start here, too.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I'm not really a committed defender of Ladell Betts. Just a foe of poor reasoning.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap Matt Turk is still punting in the NFL!Remember him?A.P. still confirming Cerratto's stupidity.

Posted by: mark65 | August 31, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I'd like one person to explain in detail what Betts has done in an NFL game since 2006 that shows he's worth having on the field at all? What's that I hear? It's the crickets chirping.

Mason has done everything in preseason, including looking great against a very good starting defense, to earn the job as Portis' backup. I think the announcement of Betts as 3rd down back was premature, and Zorn will either need to backtrack, or come to regret it.

Posted by: kirbyknight | August 31, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2009 7:58 PM

Well qualified like that he could start for every team in the league.

Clearly, that wasn't the assertion. The assertion was that Betts could start for a few teams in the league. That implies absent injury. He would not start for any of those teams today.

There is not a team in this league that Betts could start for absent a bunch of injuries. He wouldn't even be the #2 in most places, lets take a look shall we:

ATL - Turner/Norwood
BAL - Rice/McGahee & McClain
Buf - Lynch/Jackson
CIN - Benson/Watson
DAL - Barber/Jones/Choice
DEN - Moreno/Buckhalter

I think I will stop there and challenge Betts defenders to name a #2 RB he can supplant, let alone a #1.

Posted by: keino83 | August 31, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Betts played great in that 5-game span when he was the man. Since and before, he's just too injured & too inconsistent.

Hopefully, this newly defined role will motivate him to produce. The Skins offense could certainly use 2 backs with fresh legs. CP has a lot of miles on him.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. The line has to hold up. That's where Offense starts and ends in the NFL.

Posted by: agupta1 | August 31, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Samson,

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 31, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

keino: "Did Cinci approach the Skins about trading for Betts? Why would they when they had Kenny Watson who outperformed Betts when he was here and they signed Cedric Benson off the street. Betts can supplant neither of those guys."

Not to make too fine a point of it: Cincy cut Kenny Watson.

Last I looked, he's a free agent looking for a team. Hope he finds one, he's a tough RB.

Not as good as Ladell Betts, however...

Now Cedric Benson -- there's a player who might be called a bust.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

BETTS goes nowhere. 2 million roster bonus plus 900,000 salary in 2009. Signed through 2013 at which point he will be 34.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 31, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

"Samson, I didn't say he was butterfingers, or more precise a chronic fumbler, just that when he DOES fumble it's almost always been at a critical time in a ball game.Posted by: 72Redskins"

Must be the one fumble last season, or the one fumble the season before. That's why I'm saying it must have been spectacular; there's not many to choose from.

So I guess we could say Betts fumbled once and the other team recovered. That's not exactly a trend, though.

IMO we're doing something we do all the time around this blog: hold a player to a higher standard than others, based on the fact that we think there's greener grass across the fence.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: elfreako | August 31, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

"Betts has averaged 3.5 yards/carry the last 2 seasons and hasn't had a run longer than 20 yards.Since 2006 Portis has 9 fumbles with 900 touches. Betts has 8 fumbles with 500 touches.Ball security is not his strong suit. I feel it's time for an upgrade: ditch Betts next season.Posted by: elfreako"

OK, let's take a look at that, for fairness' sake.

Betts had 61 carries last season. His longest run was 14 yards. Portis had 328 carries. His longest run was 28 yards.

Clinton wasn't exactly a breakaway back, either. They're very similar. If it's a change of pace from Portis you're looking for, Betts isn't it. Jerious Norwood or Darren Sproles would be a better fit.

If you're looking for a back to carry the load if Portis is out for an extended period, then Betts is a good candidate. Not the only candidate, but a good one.

He probably doesn't run better than Marcus Mason, but he's a more proficient blocker and a much better receiver.

About the fumbles: you've demonstrated that Portis is even better at holding on to the ball than Betts. We're not talking about replacing Portis. We were comparing Betts to others who got a similar number of carries. Betts did OK there. He fumbled less than Sproles, Washington, or Bradshaw. He fumbled slightly more often than Norwood.

By comparison, looks like ball security is in fact a strong suit.

I understand you feel it's time for an upgrade. Find a better player and figure out how the Redskins can sign him. If I had my druthers, I'd go with Norwood or Derrick Ward.

But thanks for sharing your feelings.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 31, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Betts is average at best . I keep hearing this insider talk about Mason's lack of blocking, what a joke has he seen Betts over th eyears block anything but air?

We need to make a change Mason is the guy to replace Betts

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | September 1, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody else worry that we are taking out one of the best pass blocking backs in football in passing 3rd downs.

I mean I have heard many people complain that its not Campbell's fault , the O-line is terrible and never gives him time.

How is taking Portis out on 3rd downs, who is someone who actually knows how to pick up a blitz , gonna help. Betts is terrible in pass proctection.

Posted by: thegreatgrexican | September 1, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse