Offense improving despite missing pieces

Running back Clinton Portis is the 10th player the team has placed on the season-ending injured-reserve list. Portis joins tight end Chris Cooley and left tackle Chris Samuels as Redskins' offensive Pro Bowlers on IR.

Despite losing so many key members on offense, the Redskins have been much more productive recently than earlier in the season.

"I'm not really surprised what the offense is doing even without Clinton and some of our others guys because you know the level of character each guy holds within himself," defensive end Andre Carter said. "We have a lot of guys who want to win and want to be held accountable.

"Since watching Clinton since '06, I know how explosive he can be and how he sees his way through a lot of gaps that most running backs couldn't get through. So you definitely miss what he brings, but you have to be careful when you're talking about head trauma. You can't mess around with that."

By Jason Reid  |  December 8, 2009; 5:29 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis' future and the salary cap
Next: Poll: Is Portis done here?

Comments

First to say LETS WIN !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 8, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

2nd to say all I want for christmas is to Beat Dallas !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 8, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

And 3rd 'ly F Dallas

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 8, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Go for it on 4th down inside there 40 !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 8, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't drink, but I'll by the new kicker a 5th of his favortie booze if he makes all his kicks !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 8, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

We should be on a 6 game winning streak !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 8, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I tend to root for the jersey and not the player. If a guy is past his prime and their paycheck exceeds their contribution, then I have no problem moving on. Players are commodities and when their sell by date is up, you discard them.

Remember football is a sport until they want it to be a business and it's a business until they want it to be a sport.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Nothing but 7's from here on out !

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 8, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Someone is doing a fine job of leading this TEAM and keeping them together. I would not think it is VC or DS. Be careful what you ask for, you may get it.

Posted by: Keyskonnection | December 8, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

uh...its 2009! There are alot of things I could do in 2006 that I cant do anymore.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | December 8, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

no no no mr carter hasn't been reading the genius posts of edvar and the haters

Clinton explosive and great vision

Hmmm Andre carter or edvar?

1478 yds pro bowl last year doesn't count

79 yd run this year doesn't count only edvar's unsubstantiated opinion counts

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 8, 2009 5:46 PM

sorry dude, you were on a roll...

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

You lame ducks feel sorry for these chokers and has-beens.

Remember something dimwits, these athletes get paid a king's ransom for playing a kid's game.

this player deserved better... get the F outta here!

Posted by: bhoang888 | December 8, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bhoang888 | December 8, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Shaun Suisham missed field goals would not have been an issue (or attempted) if we had a HC with some heart and killer instinct. 3rd and 1 at the dallas 21 with 15 seconds on the clock, wimp ass decides to kick a FG rather than take a shot at the end zone.(missed) Wimp ass decides to kick a FG against the eagles, we know how that game ended. 1st & goal at the saints 10 Wimp ass decides to settle for a field goal ( we know how that game ended. Week after week, the same wimp ass decisions

Posted by: kingpenn1 | December 8, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I tend to hear from what I see na na na not from what I hear

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Should have been on IR long before now. Lets steal us a OL man off some practice squad and give them a run, There must be one guy out there hidden away thats got some potential. GottaBe just GottaBe...

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | December 8, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Have you notice how the 13 year old poster always comes out around the time school lets out?

Too bad school days don't last longer.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 8, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

More like "Head Cases"

Posted by: bhoang888 | December 8, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

1478 yds pro bowl last year doesn't count

79 yd run this year doesn't count only edvar's unsubstantiated opinion counts

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:47 PM

9 out of 10 RB's take that to the house. He didn't and we didn't score.

Why didn't he you ask...no vision, no burst, no speed, no stamina, no preseason, & no practice.

I hope you don't call me a hater, I'm starting to think you are a hater of the redskins. This team needs to get rid of the dead weight and his contract weighs the most.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

"despite" missing pieces or "because of removal of" missing pieces?

Posted by: dcsween | December 8, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I guess that face slap Bugues gave to the OL in the Atlanta game maked them come to their senses and play with pride. I think the main reasons these nobodies have played better than the "stars" its because of it, theyre nobodies that are hungry to make a name for themselves and earn a bigger paycheck, either here or somewhere else. The so called stars are sleeping in big beds of money and really have no incentive to play harder. They have what they wanted, a big fat paycheck.

Posted by: arbano1 | December 8, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I don't know the exact way it happened, but I don't think it was the insertion of Sherm Lewis that turned things around offensively. It feels like it was more about adding Levi Jones.

Posted by: dcsween | December 8, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Not sad about the SS cut, though if zorn did not play puzzy ball it might not have come to that. (IMO)

Glad to see CP on IR. He should have been shut down atleast two weeks ago.

CPs cap hit is huge as well as his salary next year. If he can get healthy, both his head injury and his bone spurs, then maybe he can get back on track next year.

What was mind boggling is all the love SS has up here on RI. Did not recognize some of the posted by names, so perhaps Reid signed on as different bloggers to support his boy. One would think that SS history w/the Skins would not garner this much love.

Posted by: Skins930 | December 8, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm sick of the LL bashing here. He missed a couple big plays that he needs to improve on but dude was a flat out beast last Sunday. He is still the man in my book.

Posted by: NickelsLuvsSkins | December 8, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

deez, u think I hate the skins because I'm supporting the star RB

Your proving that you make no sense, hater

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Want to correct what REDDMV wrote about me in regard to LL. I said he was the best SS in the game when someone else had his back. There aren't any other safties on the squad capable of playing FS. We need to draft one, and I'm pimping for ERIC BERRY. There won't BE any LT available worth a franchise tag left in the draft in '10 by pick number five(ours). If there is grab him. If not, why draft projects like RINEHART just to say we need a fix for the o-line? The great tackle draft is gone. GET a LT in free agency not in the draft. Pick in the second round of the draft for a good RT, a JON JANSEN type who was solid not spectacular, and a guard in the fourth or fifth round, preferably a LG. Use the last pick for the best available.

Meanwhile sign the best free agent K, OLB and CB.

DRAFT:

#1 ERIC BERRY - FS
#2 RT(thirty-seventh overall).
#4 OT
#5 LG
#7 LB or Best available player.

FA:

Best LT, K, OLB, and CB. Keep JONES for back-up LT.

It will be an uncapped year so DAN can run wild. Resign ROCKY McINTOSH for three, and JASON CAMPBELL two-year, incentive-laden contract.

Put ORAKPO on the line where he belongs. Move MOORE to teams solely. Cut SMOOT if his contract allows it, WYNN, and HOLMES. Leave PORTIS to his own devices. I think he wants out of WASHINGTON. Keep BETTS and GANTHER

Posted by: glawrence007 | December 8, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

We knew it had to happen anyway.....and we knew it was coming....

OUT WITH THE OLD....IN WITH THE NEW.

Let's Fast Forward this Youth Movement into overdrive with an uncapped season coming!!!

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | December 9, 2009 3:03 AM | Report abuse

Could it be the improved play calling (when Zorn hasn't interjected himself)? Anyone notice that the offense has been moving the ball pretty well considering their convoluted play calling scheme? Or that the offense bogs down when Zorn calls the plays in crunch time?

Posted by: tundey | December 9, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse