On Teams, Lions Actually Are Special

In the Week 3 installment of Special Teams Saturday with Lorenzo Alexander, we'll discuss why the Redskins need to be very concerned about the Detroit Lions' surprisingly effective teams units and review the positive effective of punter Hunter Smith.

Although the Lions are 0-2 and have lost 19 straight, their play on special teams is not indicative of their record. In fact, the Lions get it done on teams, Alexander said.

"I know you look at their record and all that, but you see the tape on those guys, they're really good on teams," he said. "Look at their game against New Orleans. I know Drew Brees threw six touchdown passes, but their special teams was big for 'em."

In a 45-27 loss in Week 1, the Lions' punt return coverage team harassed Reggie Bush into two fumbles while limiting him to a 3.0-yard average on three returns with a long of only 11 yards. Speedy rookie kickoff returner Aaron Brown had an 87-yard return and averaged 36 yards on five returns. Veteran punt returner Dennis Northcutt contributed a 43-yarder.

Detroit place kicker Jason Hanson - still among the game's steadiest performers in his 18th NFL season - made his two-field goal attempts, including a 47-yarder. Veteran punter Nick Harris placed two balls inside New Orleans' 20-yard line.

"The 87-yard return, making Reggie Bush fumble twice, the 40-yard punt return and their kicking game is strong all-around - you can't ask for much more and play much better on special teams than that," Alexander said. "You look at, you see how those guys fly around and play together, and that's just great special teams."

Which could be a problem for the Redskins.

The Lions' secondary appears to be the weakest unit of an overall below-average defense at best. Standout wide receiver Calvin Johnson is an elite player in only his third season in the league, but rookie quarterback Matthew Stafford - the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 draft - is having a rough adjustment to the NFL (one touchdown pass, five interceptions, 40.5 passer rating).

Special teams could provide a late spark for the Lions if they hang around in the game. The Redskins can't let that happen, Alexander said.

"We won last week (in their FedEx Field home opener over the St. Louis Rams, 9-7), but we let 'em stay in the game," he said. "A team can get a lot of confidence if they're in it in the fourth quarter, and with a team like the Lions, their special teams could do something to really help their offense or defense get going. That's where they could unite and get that spark."

Fortunately for the Redskins, they have Hunter the Punter.

Smith has been a welcome addition to a team units in need of a major upgrade at punter after two guys failed to get the job done consistently for special teams coordinator Danny Smith in 2008. The Redskins were last in the league in net punting average (33.4 yards) last season, in large part, because the team's punters were not very effective, to put it kindly.

"A lot of times, you didn't know if the ball was going to make it to the [opponents'] 25- or 30-yard line," Alexander said. "Whenever we punted, I'd be on the sideline thinking, 'Okay, where is this going to go?' But with Hunter back there booming 'em, he really sets up our defense and gives them some room to work with. It really changes everything for us."

Through the first two games, Smith ranks 27th in the league with a 41.3 overall average on seven punts. He is 25th with a 36.6 net average and also scored the Redskins' first touchdown (they have two) on a faked field-goal attempt (he is the holder).

"Hunter is just a reliable veteran," Alexander said. "We're going to need him and everybody to do what we're trying to this week."

By Jason Reid  |  September 26, 2009; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Campbell's Ankle 'a Whole Lot Better'
Next: Alridge Returns, Hopes Fumbles Do Not

Comments

form the other thread:

I hear you t_e, and agree with your point, I guess I'm just not so sure CP is still an "elite" back. He is still a good back, but "elite"? I dunno...

My point is that I wonder if Zorn hasn't used CP as a bit of a crutch at times, relying too much on the running game because of his lack of trust in his offensive personnel as a whole. I felt this way last year, I thought it showed up against the Giants, and showed again in the red zone against the Rams. Case in piont: the video of Zorn on NFL.com that included a clip of Zorn saying into his headset that he was just "going to run the ball from now on" after the Sellers drop. Maybe without CP, he wouldn't be so quick to abandon the passing game.

Posted by: craig2 | September 26, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

sorry, I reposted the wrong post:

LETJASONPASS: I couldn't agree more, and that's point I've been trying to make, maybe I've not done a good job of making it, but that's it.

@chrislarry: as I wrote to t_e, I get your point and understand it, I just think there could be some benefit to it, that's all. It's been obvious to me(and to many other football people) that CP isn't in "mid-season" form right now, so I wonder just how much we would lose. Of course, if he isn't in top form now, sitting because of injury certainly won't help him get there any faster.

Posted by: craig2 | September 26, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

chrislarry

"...I can't really see a scenario in which losing one of our best players on offense is a positive..."

Well, sometimes subtraction is addition.

In patsland, Drew Bledsoe gets hurt, and some guy named Tom Brady comes off the bench to become the next new thing.

Dallas let its best receiver--T.O.--leave and now doesn't have his annoying but talented presence demanding the ball come his way play after play.

LaDamian Tomilinson gets banged up, the chargers get Sproles on the field, and realized that his versitility and speed beats LT's power game.

Again: you can lose or sit your best guy, and come out better in the long run.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 26, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

The real worry is our kick-off team and Suisham. Our defense may be the key to prevent the Lions from scoring. It's going to be tough defending Calvin Johnson so I hope the defensive line can block Stafford's passes throughout the game.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 26, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

redcherokee

"It's going to be tough defending Calvin Johns..."

So who matches up against him?: Rogers or Hall?

Hall: he got the big contract and with that comes 'locking down' the other team's number one receiver.

Otherwise, if he can't do that week in and week out, he's not worth the money.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 26, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I agree, MistaMoe. It's going to be scary to watch. The game's going to be played on turf so the coverage may be different. I wouldn't count on it though.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 26, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

No way you put Hall on CJ. You don't base the tactics on contract size. Rogers is the best man cover guy on the team and matches up with him size wise. Put him there, with some safety help in centerfield. Also this way Hall covers the junk where he might be able to get some picks off the rookie.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

CJ is a beast, containment is the key...hey if he grabs 7 catches and their only TD...I can live with that.

Imagine CJ's numbers if he was on a good team...wow...

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Imagine CJ's numbers if he was on a good team...wow...

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 11:22 AM

On the other hand, imagine his numbers if he were on Zorn's team. He'd be doing downfield blocking for Chris Cooley.

I'm feeling grumpy about Zorn today.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 26, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Stop making the Lions into the 85' Bears!

We will beat the crap out of the Lions!

Posted by: rickyroge | September 26, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Is the chrislarry poster Snyder's radio and tv guy? That's the guys name, right? The guy behind the desk on those comcast shows?

Posted by: withoutdoubt27 | September 26, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

um no....He's Larry Micheals I am Chris Lawrence....get the difference?

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

On that article by Sally Jenkins about play-calling..

Jurgensen says: "Play-calling is overrated."

I remember Orakpo said: "We didn't play smart." (after that loss to the Giants)

Come on.. Zorn should know better than to put himself on the spot by calling ridiculous plays that would have a low chance of succeeding. Execution is not the issue. The issue is designing plays based on your players' strengths and the opposing defenses' weaknesses.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 26, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 11:21 AM |

Not to put you out cL but Carlos doesn't even come close to matching up with 6' 5" 237 lb. Calvin Johnson. Rogers is 6' 200 lb soaking wet. Having said that he is closer than Hall thats for sure. You put Rogers on him with safety help over top. I would say Landry but he sure scares me in coverage.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"Stop making the Lions into the 85' Bears!

We will beat the crap out of the Lions!

Posted by: rickyroge

I think taking an opponent seriously leads to beating the crappe out of said team.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Good point Scamp, but I did mean closest of the guys we have to matching up size wise.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: withoutdoubt27 | September 26, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse

CJ is better than any CB in the league (save for Nassy)...

CR22 and DHall......

He got by 5" and 6", respectively....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 26, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I love CJ...my point is how to best contain him with the playas we got. I like Rogers chances better than Hall's to keep him from dominating the game. He's obviously gonna get his. But he has been getting his during a long streak of losses so you gotta keep that streak alive.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

"I get that you're two different people, but no difference as far as I can tell -- neither of you are worth listening to, even to the greatest of Skins fans.

Posted by: withoutdoubt27

Duly noted, so stop listening. But keep up what you are doing, you bring so much to the conversation.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Here is one withoutadoubt27 can disagree with...

The best way to neautralize CJ will be to pummel Stafford all day long so he can't even see CJ. Punch him in the mouth early, often and hard.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

request granted, larry. Have a good weekend and enjoy the game. See ya

Posted by: withoutdoubt27 | September 26, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Is Jansen starting? Orakpo could get a couple of sacks off him.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 26, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Jansens the backup RT. BPo lines up at RE when on the line, so even if Jansens forced into action he won't meet Brian

Posted by: withoutdoubt27 | September 26, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Come on you Rodeo's. Enough of using abbreviations for other Teams player. I'm breezing through the blog and I am going, who the hay is this CJ?

Now I have to go back and see that CJ is Calvin Johnson. Good. OK.

He is allright, but he does not deserve initials on the Redskin Blog. Initials on this Blog should be for Redskin players.

KISS.

LarryInClintonMD.

By the way, Redskins will stomp the Lions.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 26, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Smoot @ FS with Rogers & Hall @ corner. LL @ LE blitzing.. Hope Blache envisions this, too!

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 26, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be mad at holding out Portis. But it won't happen because Portis won't let it happen. Unless Snyder gives the ok...

Players aloud to have initials on the blog:

AP
CJ
BBM
LBM
BBP
LBP
LT
MB
TO

And the list goes on.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 26, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"No way you put Hall on CJ. You don't base the tactics on contract size."

So you sign a guy to a big deal, but don't use him like he's a big time player?

In my world, if Hall gets 'shut down corner' money, he must shut somebody down.

And this week, that someone--Calvin Johnson--is the kind of big wide receiver Shawn Spring would be called out to stop: and he would.

If DeAngelo Hall doesn't move with Calvin Johnson or take him on in 'bracket' covereages, I don't see how he's worth the money.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 26, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

MB

And the list goes on.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 26, 2009 12:23 PM |

Who's MB?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

You see thats the problem with initials. Two, I knew right off, but without subject matter, who are dem guys.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | September 26, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: withoutdoubt27

If you're listening to the posts on the blog have the person reading to you skip ones you don't want to hear.

Posted by: mack1 | September 26, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

In my world, if Hall gets 'shut down corner' money, he must shut somebody down.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 26, 2009 12:28 PM |

Here's the problem. Even if he gets shutdown money, he is not a shutdown guy. CJ burns his a$$ repeatedly thus giving the Lions a better chance of winning. This all happens regardless of contract size. By the way, he didn't get that money to be a shutdown guy, they specifically stated he got that money to make turnovers.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

4thfloor

"...I wouldn't be mad at holding out Portis..."

Agreed.

Sit Portis down.

Save Portis for November/December--get him good 'n healthy.

Start Betts Sunday.

Sub in Mason/Rock as the change of pace guys.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 26, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

My opinion is worthless apparently, but I am with Scamp...you don't base playing time & assignments of contract size.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Sub in Mason/Rock as the change of pace guys.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 26, 2009 12:32 PM |

Come on Moe. You're better than this man. You must be hungover or something. Not in this lifetime are Mason or Rock a change of pace for Betts. They're all different versions of the same guy.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Sub in Mason/Rock as the change of pace guys.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 26, 2009 12:32 PM

Huh? Alridge is listed ahead of Rock @ the moment. And I'd use him instead of Betts.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 26, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

scampbell1975

"...By the way, he didn't get that money to be a shutdown guy...they specifically stated he got that money to make turnovers..."

I guess I see the world differently.

If I hire a lawyer, pay him more than the next guy, then I expect more from him than the next guy.

Otherwise, why overpay?

I guess the point is, unless Hall starts snagging INTs, his utility makes him just as interchangable as CR.

So it makes since to put him on Calvin Johnson, then: he'll draw the guy who'll see the ball thus increasing his chances at getting INTs.

Thanks for helping me prove my point.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 26, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

scampbell1975

"Not in this lifetime are Mason or Rock a change of pace for Betts. They're all different versions of the same guy."

Yeah, they are all the same guy.

That's why I think long-term, a versitile speed back like CJ Spiller would be perfect in the Skins' offense.

CJ Spiller has track speed and can catch the ball and return kicks.

Looking at our running backs, Spiller is Mason, Betts, Rock, Alridge all rolled into one.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 26, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Agree with scamp. Mason and Rock are not change of pace backs. They're the same back with different numbers. Also, Rock is short. I still think Mason was signed to make the fans happy.

Posted by: mack1 | September 26, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

See, Moe, your attempting to use logic which has no place in Vinny's world. He got his money to make turnovers, not to be a cover guy. You didn't really prove anything with your if/then statement. Just because he would have more opportunities to get turnovers covering CJ doesn't mean he has no opportunities covering someone else. And he is no where near interchangeable with CR. CR can't catch but can cover. DH can catch but can't cover. They are opposites.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

scampbell1975

Yeah, they are all the same guy.

CJ Spiller has track speed and can catch the ball and return kicks.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 26, 2009 12:46 PM |

Your man crush on Spiller has been duly noted. He would be a change of pace back for Portis/Betts/Mason/Rock.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Moe, sorry but you are wrong. First off play the guy who has the better chance to stop him, that is Rogers. Is this the first time the Skins have over paid for a dude? So they should have just started Archelleta and B LLoyd forever?

Also who do you think is hungrier the guy who got his fat payday or the guy looking for one?

Also IF Rogers can cover CJ enough to force STafford to force it to the other receivers that is some picks for Hall.

Also I think, outside of hands, that CR is a much better CB...but he is still working off rookie contract. He has not had the FA chance that Hall has to sign new deal, so to make an equation of their worth based on contract size is false.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Alridge and Spiller are almost the same type of back. Spiller's better tho.

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 26, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

whateves I guess we will see about this time tomorrow. If they can just rattle and punish a QB making his third overall start than they could put Hunter the Punter on CJ and it won't matter..

HAIL

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 26, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 26, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't think so, Moe. SS would be inactive, and CR22 would be guarding him. You can argue all you want about DH's contract. And I was all for resigning him. He is a playmaker, he will get picks. He is a team leader. He just is not a shut-down cover guy. Let's use him where he is most useful...roaming, picking of a wounded duck, returning an occasional punt. He has great hands, good speed. Pick 6 is certainly a possibility this week.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 26, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Have a feeling tomorrow is going to be nauseating.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 26, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse
Sorry scamp, didn't mean to repeat your argument. Just catching up. And I agree 100% with you.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 26, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 26, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 26, 2009 1:10 PM |

He's NFC East sized.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 26, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I was drooling over his size too when I went to that site. Wonder if he can run? and catch?

Posted by: frediefritz | September 26, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 12:34 PM

I would say that you are more of an acquired taste. I remember I just did not get you when I first started reading/posting on this blog. Can't remember the last time I disagreed with your post or view.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 26, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Curz, I am all for growth...so what was rubbing you wrong.

I do remember arguing with you one afternoon about counting victories before a game was over (eagles/giants...i think) and then the team who was losing came back to win. Was that your moment of awakening?

Whateves, I will admit I can be completely annoying. But to have your own voice, you have to be willing to offend.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 26, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

That's high praise, cl. Hope you can keep it up.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 26, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I most certainly can not.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

OK, just listened to Mike Sellers respond to a question about whether the team has "that killer instinct, an edge" and his response: "we do, we don't do it enough, it's still a work in progress."

As we head into a game where either team could conceivable will it's way to a win - I pin that on the HC.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | September 26, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Mostly cL it was about you defending Jasno whenever someone busted him up on his posts.

Like with my family, I get my feathers ruffled when someone bad mouths my team (Skins are my only real team in pro sports I feel this way about). Though I gotta say that I would welcome Jasno back now based on some of the posts JR gives us.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 26, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I concur with Curz...

At 1st, I thought ChRiS laRry drooled...

Now, I just don't think he rulz...j/king

Big difference....

Hopefully, getting ready for a rainy football game for my son. Good for me, not him....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 26, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Really 4th? I would think it would be fun to play in the rain, but sucky to watch? But pee wee football in the mud must be funny as SJK to watch.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Can't remember the last time I disagreed with your post or view.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 26, 2009 1:16 PM |

Uh oh. Curzon's either got amnesia or he's tequilaed up @11:00 am. Okay, the latter's given, so it must be both.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 26, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, when I was a kid, we used to love to play in the rain.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 26, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 26, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse
Probably still hung over from last night. It's only 9 am out there.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 26, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 1:19 PM

lol, I'd have to agree. I remember I was annoyed 1 and half yrs ago after the 2008 draft when you said CHorton wasn't worth mentioning in the same sentence as ST21 after I talked about his hard-hitting skills. You were right later tho. Who knew CH48 was a ball hawk?

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 26, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"LeGarrette Blount of Oregon is very intriguing. A big-time talent with huge size for a RB- almost 6'5 and 250 lbs.."

Does size matter?

Or do you want a guy with average size who can take it to the house in 10.6 sec.?

The lack of speed is what ails the redskins' offense.

Adding a 6'5, 250 lb. banger would be nice, but if he's not athletic enough to be used in multiple ways, I don't see the need.

Look around the league, y'all: Steve Slaton, Devin Hester, Percy Harvin, Josh Cribbs, Dareen Sproles, Reggie Bush, Leon Washington, Chris Johnson, Derrick Ward--speed is what we need....

...then we draft two stud offensive linemen, and bring in a low cost free agent linemen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 26, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Has the active list been released? Just wondering if my man Marko will be in there. Can't wait to see him play in a regular season game.

Posted by: bostskin | September 26, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

T_E, it's five o'clock somewhere...

BTW, loved your poll question yesterday, but like the WaPo's polls, you left out the "all of the above" answer.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 26, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 26, 2009 1:56 PM

I regret that question. Brownwood called me a name and is stalking me to punch out my teeth. I'm not like Chris Larry. I'm just here to make friends. This is Facebook, isn't it?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 26, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Teeth? At your age what do you need teeth for? Plus, just stay out of alleys and you will be fine...

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 26, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

u guys have good memories. I guess i was wrong about Horton and glad to be! I am pro horton big time, he is my friend on facebook (true).

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

At your age what do you need teeth for?

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 26, 2009 2:04 PM

Here at the home the jello and bananas are so tough that you can't chew them without teeth.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 26, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

The question is what is brownwood doing trolling alleys?

I don't have a fave in the te/bg v brownie battle.....but the violence threat was lame.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 2:06 PM

Wow! I'm bloggin' with a guy who's Facebook friends with Horton! I can't wait 'til my kids visit me here at the home and I tell them this!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 26, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

The coach or the playcalling isn't our problem, these fuchurs can't execute. The hb pass from CP to 47 wasn't a bad call, if I remember correctly CP is like 5 of 6 with 5 TDs from that play in almost the same situation not a bad call, bad execution chris could had caught that ball. Zorn saying he was just gonna run it on NFL network isn't stupid it's pretty on point. He's got a QB who has thrown 15 TDs in 18 games! Why would you be stupid and think a QB who has only shown flashes of mediocraty could get it done in the red zone. This dude has been in the league 5 years now and has shown nothing, regardless of how many coordinators you go through it's still football you find an open guy or a lane you think you can fit a ball in and you throw it. Hopefully this dude we have at center realizes what he does for a living, I'm over his potential and big arm. If we lose to a team that is 0-19 I seriously think old man Collins takes the wheel while we still have hope.

Posted by: murphyz | September 26, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

(and before the insults about FB/Horton....its for a laugh, i obviously don't think we're friends...)

Although its fun to see all the babes wish him luck...

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 2:08 PM

Look, I think this is the right thing for you to post. I know in my heart of hearts that you're with me and beantown on this one, but why take a chance that brownwood will come after you too?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 26, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

funny te....i chuckled at that one.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

i chuckled at that one.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 2:23 PM

COL? ROFCMAO?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 26, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

The fact that the media are picking the Lions to win just shows the sorry state of sports media. Sports news is entertainment first and foremost. Nothing resembling thoughtful analysis even enters the picture (with a few exceptions). Even when they say they're providing analysis, it is almost always totally based on whatever is trendy at the time. Well balanced, cautious journalism doesn't readily produce strong, controversial opinions (especially entering the third week of the season) so its left out or not even attempted. Should the Redskins go into the game with a healthy amount of humility, recognizing that the Lions are capable of winning the game? Of course. But the idea that a Lion's win is the more likely outcome is preposterous. I think all this stupid talk is going to piss the Redskins off, rather than scare them and they're going to manhandle the Lions. Redskins 28-10.

Posted by: FITS | September 26, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I was drooling over his size too when I went to that site.

Posted by: frediefritz

FF, this is a family blog.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 26, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 26, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see a 1st round tackle then a 2nd round RB and just draft by best talent available after that. We can take another tackle in 2011 or 2012. Why take 2 top tackles in 2010 when 1 won't play? Obviosly if that guard from bama is still there in the 2nd then take him but other than that I'd take a RB.

1. Okung/black/williams/bulaga
2. dwyer/mcknight/best/royster

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 26, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 26, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Yup. Stole my thunder with this, I was gonna say we should put Orakpo and Carter in coverage on CalvJohn (is that better?) by draping them all over the rook.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | September 26, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 26, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see a 1st round tackle then a 2nd round RB

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 26, 2009 3:26 PM

Third game of the season and you guys are making draft picks? Wow.

Don't you think it depends on what we learn about our roster over the next 14 (hopefully 17) games? And whether there is a capped or an uncapped year? And on what we do in free agency? And on who's available in the draft and where it is deep or shallow?

Third game rulz, September draft talk drulz.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 26, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Third game of the season and you guys are making draft picks? Wow.

Third game rulz, September draft talk drulz.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 26, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

You underestimate our level of boredom.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 26, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

You underestimate our level of boredom.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 26, 2009 4:15 PM

Okay. I'm going with a QB in the first round, tackle in the second.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 26, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

For those Chase Daniel fans:

With Lance Moore limping, Chase Daniel gets called up
Posted by Mike Florio on September 26, 2009 3:41 PM ET
The New Orleans Saints have been carrying only two quarterbacks this year, with receiver Lance Moore serving as the emergency quarterback behind Drew Brees and Mark Brunell.

But Moore won't play Sunday, due to a strained hamstring.

So Chase Daniel, the former Missouri standout, has been elevated from the practice squad for Sunday's game at Buffalo, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

Veteran center Nick Leckey has been waived to create a roster spot.

And "veteran" is the key. Leckey is a vested veteran, and he won't be subject to waivers. Thus, the Saints will be able to cut Daniel, re-sign Leckey, and then re-sign Daniel to the practice squad in the days after Sunday's game.

The only risk is that someone could claim Daniel on waivers. Then again, anyone could have signed him to the active roster from New Orleans' practice squad.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 26, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

F all you Marylanders.

VA and freakin' T.C. Williams beoytches.

Recognize.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 25, 2009 4:25 PM

Tru dat

Langley! Me and the Czabe on the Mean Streets of McLean

Posted by: CBT2 | September 26, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry
_________________________

Fully agreed on this. As Mike Tyson said, in probably his only good (or for that matter intelligible) quote, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face."

(helps to think of him saying this in his girly, lispy, high-pitched voice)

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 26, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm really liking how we're only keeping 2 qbs.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 26, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Okay. I'm going with a QB in the first round, tackle in the second.

Posted by: talent_evaluator
________________

Yep, exactly what I want to see, except I want us to get one of the most highly rated QB's, so I expect that'll cost us 2 firsts, this year and next (assuming we don't have a top-5 pick in the draft, and we don't want to have a 2009 season anywhere near that bad). Then I want an OT in round 2, and another good OT thru FA.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 26, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

let's not get confused with who Dhall is guys. all this shut down corner talk is very ambitious for Dhall, but none of us should consider him that. we signed him last yr after he was cut for getting burned. he's talented and he can catch the ball and score on defense. that's why we got him. i would luv for him to become the lock down guy folks thought he was when he was makin probowls with atl, but i don't know if that's him. he might be shell shocked (like Ricky Bobby after the accident). either way the skins had to throw some bread at him b/c he led the team in picks last year and they couldn't let him go. but no he should by no means check "CJ" 1 on 1 all game. but is it not possible to play them straight up or roll a safety to "CJ's" side? I don't think rogers or hall can stick "CJ" one on one so i think blache should just roll coverage to his side or some exotic zone doggies or something.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 26, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

let's not get confused with who Dhall is guys.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 26, 2009 6:00 PM

Finally a sensible, realistic post about D Hall.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 26, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Finally a sensible, realistic post about D Hall.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 26, 2009 6:11 PM

Mine wasn't realistic enoguh for you? I'm hurt.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 26, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

wow 27th thats amazing. jk

hunter the punter, zo lex, rock, swish 'em
specials.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 26, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

rodgers is our best CB, and has been for the last 3ish years

cover tackle, has a DFR

I was aware of the report on Hall from the get go too

big play risky, has an INT

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 26, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Veteran center Nick Leckey has been waived to create a roster spot.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 26, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

So is Leckey any good? Maybe we should sign him?

Posted by: frediefritz | September 26, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse