On Zorn, Cerrato, and the future

Many Insider readers have emailed me in the last 24 hours about the possibility of Coach Jim Zorn and the Redskins agreeing to some sort of a buyout for the remainder of the guaranteed portion of Zorn's contract. Zorn signed a five-year deal but only the first three years were guaranteed.

Logically, it's not a stupid question. Obviously, owner Daniel Snyder has no confidence in Zorn. He hired Sherman Lewis, a longtime assistant in West Coast offenses, to fix Zorn's ineffective version of the attack and now Lewis has replaced Zorn as the play-caller.

Having written all that, I don't anticipate Zorn resigning or Snyder offering him a buyout. Zorn is not the quitting type, league sources say. And even if Zorn offered to quit, would Snyder agree to pay him what he is owed?

I've also received a lot of email on another topic recently: the future of Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations. Cerrato strongly recommended Zorn and was a driving force behind the team's switch to a West Coast scheme, and those moves have not worked out well. During the previous coaching search, a source told me Cerrato would play a big role in the decision and that Snyder made it clear to Cerrato that he would be held responsible for the coach's performance. I guess we'll see soon enough if that's correct.

By Jason Reid  |  October 19, 2009; 3:19 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn: 'This is not an easy thing'
Next: For Samuels, the doctor is 'out'

Comments

Vinny Cerrato has sh!t for brains, literally.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 19, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Who cares?

Posted by: RedDMV | October 19, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

And its too bad that you're wrong. Jimmy Johnson called Jay Schroeder the worst QB he had ever seen. Ever! This quarterback led the Redskins to the NFC championship game. Okay? Yes a lot worst than Campbell! What did he have? The very best offensive line in the NFL. 'nuff said'.

Posted by: periculum | October 19, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

________________

What did any of your rant have to do with a single thing I said? Maybe you missed out on the full debate?

My point, as simple as I can put it... is that Campbell is not an accurate deep passer and consistently misses open receivers. He's done it behind this current pathetic offensive line and he's done it behind a healthy respectable offensive line.

You can't blame every thing that's wrong with Campbell as a quarterback on the offensive line. His tendency to miss open receivers is not the offensive line's fault.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 19, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Rehire Marty. Let him fire Ceratto again.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 19, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Acc...ount...a...bility?

What?

Posted by: ThisGuy | October 19, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Whadda ya mean they cut the power? They're animals...

Posted by: RedDMV | October 19, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

(I can keep going)

Hudson: Let's just bug out and call it even, OK? What are we talking about this for?

Ripley: I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Hudson: F#$kin' A...

Burke: Ho-ho-hold on, hold on one second. This installation has a substantial dollar value attached to it.

Ripley: They can *bill* me.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 19, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"During the previous coaching search, a source told me Cerrato would play a big role in the decision and that Snyder made it clear to Cerrato that he would be held responsible for the coach's performance. I guess we'll see soon enough if that's correct."

Hooray!!!

Please let it come true!!!

Posted by: WRBD | October 19, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Ripley: Well, somebody's gonna have to go out there. Take a portable terminal, go out there and patch in manually.

Hudson: Oh yeah, sure! With those things runnin' around? You can count me out.

Hicks: Yeah I guess we can just count you out of everything, Hudson.

Bishop: [speaking under Hicks] I'll go.

Hudson: That's right, man.

Bishop: I'll go.

Hudson: Hey, why don't you go, man!

Bishop: [more loudly] I'll go.

Ripley: What?

Bishop: I'll go. I mean, I'm the only one qualified to remote-pilot the ship anyway.

Hudson: Yeah right, man, Bishop should go.
Good idea!

Bishop: Believe me, I'd prefer not to. I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 19, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

What have we done to deserve this???? Usually I get pissed off at players or coaches but this is unreal. Cousin Vinny, please go BYE BYE. And Little Chief(Mr. Snyder) please don't put the Super Bowl trophies at the podium when you fire the Z Man and hire the new guy!!! PLEASE... YOU HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT!!!!!!!!

Posted by: MeatShalom | October 19, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Would you keep paying Pepco if you electricity didn't work? Would you keep going to 5 Guys if they consistently forgot to put the burger in the bag?

Stick it to Dan, turn in your tickets - I did.

Posted by: myskinsr1 | October 19, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

JR...I respectfully disagree.

We won't see soon enough.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 19, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Counsel for Snyder and counsel for Zorn get together and workout a buyout. Buyout gets executed. Zorn steps down. Interim replacement named. Counsel for Snyder and counsel for Cerrato do the same. GM named.

Rational approach. To whom do I send my consultation invoice?

Posted by: joemktg1 | October 19, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

**** Breaking News******

This just in, After hiring a retired BINGO caller to call offensive plays for the Redskins, they have made a new hire. The Redskins have hired the KENO machine to call defensive plays. Greg Blache will still be the coordinator and involved in game planning but on gamedays the KENO machine will call the plays from the booth and then Blache will relay the message to London Fletcher

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 19, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I usually can't stand this bama, but the dude 4th is on a roll with the Aliens joints.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 19, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Red - Hudson is my boy.....

Remember that movie he was in with Ice T and Ice Cube? That was my ish!

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 19, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

It's game over man, it's game over!

Posted by: REXskins | October 19, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I suspect the Zorn buyout conversation is already in progress. Snyder, for all his issues, has rarely been spiteful to people who have been nice to him -- and Zorn fits that description.

The bigger challenge for Snyder will be to let go of his security blanket, Cerrato.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 19, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK SJK

All I can thinkto say right now reading posts for today from Da Mayor.

Posted by: sfskin | October 19, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Frost: Hot as hell in here.

Hudson: Yeah man, but it's a dry heat!

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 19, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

That movie with Ice T, Cube, and Hudson comes on cable sometimes, which name escapes me at the moment, oh yeah, Tresspass.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 19, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm lezzzz see, fifth game ... guess I was wrong again ol scrambly brain cooked in 1975? I said Zorn would be replaced by the 4th game well before the season. I was off by one. Oh gee ... you should have listened ... d00uche bag.

Posted by: periculum | October 19, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Sherm Lewis' timeline of activities after he was notified that he would be taking over play-calling duties for the NFL Washington Redskins:

8pm - Receives call from Vinny telling him he'd be the new play-caller
8:01pm - Asked Vinny what being a nude pay otter would entail
8:02pm - Accepted the position after clarification, asked what his hours would be
8:15 - Gets off the phone with Vinny, grabs his edition of "Boomers," and retires to the restroom
10pm – Awakens suddenly on the toilet and yells "G-7"
10:15pm - Receives call from Jim Zorn, and says, "Oh, yes, I met you last week. Nice young man, nice young man..." then puts down the phone and falls back asleep.
11:15 – checks messages and hears one from Daniel Snyder offering him Congratulations and a list of plays he should definitely call in Philadelphia; mentions standing rule that Tom Cruise has access to all Redskins facilities, in particular the shower room.
11:30 – Calls his wife to tell her “what we thought happened, happened. I won’t be home for Christmas.”
8am – Wakes up and has a big bowl of Cocoa Puffs, spiked with Metamucil
8:15 – begins paging through Zorn’s playbook while watching “Today.” Takes first nap of the day.
10am – Arrives at Redskins Park, double parks in Zorn and Sherman Smith’s spots
10:15 – Meets with Zorn to discuss offense. Says, “Oh, yes, I met you last week. Nice young man, nice young man…” Promptly, takes second nap of the day.
12 – Wakes up, Scrawls “Chief Booty Knocker and Play Caller” on his office door, then lounges outside while players pass. Gives “raise the roof” sign to confused African-American players, glowers at the white ones and says, “Yeah, that’s right, I’m in charge now”
12:30 – Lunch w/ hookers
2pm – Falls asleep in his chair with Zorn playbook in lap and a few empty cans of Steel City Reserve on the floor

Posted by: SnyderisaBornLoser | October 19, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I prefer Ernie Hudson as the mentally challenged groundskeeper in "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 19, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Maske was on ESPN a little while ago...basically said Redskins fans are heading for "apathy", which he says is even worse than "anger."

Eh, whateves.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 19, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

This quote can be used in argument against delusional fans who still think we can turn the season around:

"Maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events but we just got our asses kicked, pal!"

Posted by: RedDMV | October 19, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Hulk sad.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 19, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Sherm Lewis does look a bit like the "chief" in that photo ... all he needs is the war bonnet.

Posted by: periculum | October 19, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I have heard it all it was Devin Thomas(s) fault that Campbell led him out of bounds with that pass!!!

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 19, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Past apathy. Following the Nats now. Awaiting Gibbsian rise as an NL East power. Checking out Nationals Farm Authority ...

Posted by: periculum | October 19, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

4th- From the Bog...transcript of what Korny was saying this a.m.:

"But at the end of the half, there began a chant--Sell The Team. Sell The Team. Sell The Team.--that everybody in the box heard. The people in the box were stunned. I don't know that he heard it, because he wasn't there, but the people in the box were STUNNED. And I remember saying to him about two hours before the game, 'If you don't understand this, this is falling on you. ON YOU. Not anybody else, falling on you. And he said--and I will share this--he said 'I'm just so embarrassed for the fans, because I do think we have great fans.'

"And I said, 'Well, why don't you say that out loud somewhere?' And then we talked about what you could do or what you couldn't do, but I'm not an adviser to the team."

Posted by: 4-12 | October 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

good one 4-12....classic.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

It's a shame that zorn should have to take the blame for a crappy gm and a crayppy offensive line.

Posted by: BMACattack | October 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"Like Going over Niagara falls with galoshes on."

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

When Dannyo says he will hold Vinny Accountable. It just means Vinny screws up and he has to sleep on the floor.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 19, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

This is awesome in a watching a tornado tear through a trailer park sort of way. Or a big pileup at Taledega. You know whats coming, that people are gonna get hurt, but you just HAVE to watch.

Now, Sherm is gonna relay the plays to Zorn, who will relay them to JC or TC on the field.

I'm sure that will help the offesne get to the line on time to get the ball snapped without having to take a random timeout in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

LOLOL.

Bright spot: Vinny clearly owns it, everybody knows it, and and both he and the danny can't deny it any longer. Rock bottom and clarity must be achieved before the problem can be addressed and fixed.

Here's hoping danny will now stop digging.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 19, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Hulk sad.

Anthony Stark sez: "Pepper, honey I need a drink. Hubby Happy Hogan is away let's play!"

Posted by: periculum | October 19, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

fwiw, there were a bunch of great QB performances yesterday ... and an abundance of miserable one.

While Brady, Big Ben and Brees put up huge numbers,the stinkers inluded:

Kerry Collins completed 2/12 passes -- for a total of -7 yards.

Matt Sanchez was 10/29 for 119 yards and 5 picks -- his team lost despite averaging 8 yards a rush for over 300 rushing yards.

Hasselback was 10/29 for 112 and a pick.

The Lion QBs were 12/25 for 105 yards and 3 picks.

Josh Johnson of Tampa was 11/17 for 147 -- pretty good, but ... he threw 1 pick and fumbled 5(!) times -- he was very lucky to have lost only 1.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 19, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Nats is too far away to be sweatin' right now...

The WIZARDS, yeah those 19 win dudes from a year ago will bounce back like round ball on suckas, watch and see...

Posted by: RedDMV | October 19, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Tony K in agreement with #3 of my "If I was DS" plan:

recap:

1. Can vinny promote M. Brown

2. Can Zorn, name Buges interim (leader of men quality, at least for half a season)

3. PR/Outreach to fans..a mea culpa/"feel your pain" type deal. Get some freakin humanity.

4. Step the heck away and let MB and newly picked by MB FP/Coaching staff go to work...

add #5...count money once the good will comes back from rock bottom to respectfull to dominant!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 19, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

So how does this work on Sunday?

Do you number Lewis' play chart and give Soups/Todd a wrist band with corresponding numbers and play names?

Because I can envision a hilarious miscommunication where Campbell or Collins attempts to run moo goo gai pan.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 19, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I live in KC and i am so shamed. What has happened to our once proud team?

Posted by: skinball77 | October 19, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

It won't be enough for Snyder to clean house, including Cerrato. Snyder would have to truly change his management style, take a step back, and then somehow convince a Polian-type that he would not interfere.

Very tall order given that there's 10 years worth of data to show that Snyder can't help himself.

Posted by: nick445 | October 19, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Popeyes needs to go. How could he have any credibility. Even with doofus brain Snyder.

Posted by: ridgely1 | October 19, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Snyder absolutely MUST fire Vinny - it's the only way he can salvage the fan base. The question is...when? Probably not until the season ends.

It will be interesting to see if Vinny does his "Inside The Red Zone" radio show on Friday....the name is hilarious since we never get inside the Red Zone.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 19, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Red - Another relevant post:

Vasquez: Hey, Mira. Who's Snow White?

Ferro: She's supposed to be some kinda consultant. Apparently she saw an alien once.

Hudson: Whoopee-f#*kin'-do. Hey, I'm impressed.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 19, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Hooray!!!

Please let it come true!!!

Posted by: WRBD | October 19, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

AGREED! It would be worth all this suffering if we could get rid of VINNIE.

Posted by: Masonman | October 19, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BenchCampbell

If you watch, both Kelly and Thomas have had the same issue. They run patterns too close to the sideline which means the QB has very little room to throw it. If Campbell throw that where Thomas can catch it and stay in bounds, that ball is probably tipped.

Big WRs need to be physical and create that space along the sideline. At least part of this on the coaches, fwiw, since this needs to be taught.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 19, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

good for Tony K for pointing out the obvious, and stating it to DS...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 19, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

HogE, " IF THEY THINK PLAY CALLING IS THE ONLY PROblem there way off"

Dilfer,"it doesn't matter what your scheme is or if you have a genius play caller, no offense will work without an O line, Vinny's fault"

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 19, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

i am not sure if anyone is listening to the LaVar show, but LaVar just did the scariest Joe Pattern impression I have ever heard. It sounded like a freaked out pumped up up Dr. Rockso (the rock-in-roll clown) (he does cocaine)

Posted by: alex35332 | October 19, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | October 19, 2009 3:52 PM

Was that a racist remark? LOL. JUST KIDDING.

Posted by: opita1 | October 19, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Now its the receivers fault the balls are overthrown or underthrown whatever that case may be *PRICELESS*

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 19, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I believe the Redskins will only compound their problems if Vinny Cerrato is not relieved of duty at the end of the season.

Posted by: tmcmullins | October 19, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

4th, I can't remember these scenes word for word, but I remember all the funny parts, so I'm ripping them right now, but here's another:

Vasquez: Look man, I only need to know one thing: where they are [mimes pointing a gun]

Drake: Go Vasquez, kick ass man.

Vasquez: Any time, any where man.

Hudson: Right, right. Someone said 'alien', she thought they said illegal alien and signed up!

Vasquez: F*** you man!

Hudson: Any time, any where!

Posted by: RedDMV | October 19, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

So, Sherman Lewis adds no new plays this week. He has no say on who will start at QB, RB or any other position. He calls plays from Zorn's playbook on Sunday from the booth. This looks like a move simply to tell the fans Vinny did something to prevent the train wreck. I can't see this making any difference come Monday night.

Farside moment:
Sherm Lewis opens Zorn's playbook just before the game and he sees that of the 31 pages in the playbook, 30 of them say "run right". The other five plays are written in Crayola...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 19, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Joe Paterno

Posted by: alex35332 | October 19, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

You have to wonder if they even bothered to ask Lewis if he thought he was ready to call the plays, and he said "yes", which you would think would be impossible. Or did they just appoint him without even asking? Loony House.

Posted by: REXskins | October 19, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 19, 2009 3:59 PM\

YES. And it also their fault that they are not tripled teamed so that Campbell can find them; apparently, there is no better percentage for a completion than when you throw into a double and triple cover. It is the open receivers fault for not attracting two or three defenders onto them.

Posted by: opita1 | October 19, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I think Kornheiser told Dan to sack Vinny. At least I hope he did.

Just look at the past 4 Super Bowl winners-- Indy, Giants, and Pittsburgh (twice)-- to learn how successful teams are built: Strong GM who hires the coach and builds everything around him. Contrast that with Cerrato, who couldn't even pass a 9th grade English class and is a total fist puppet for the owner.

FIRE VINNY!
FIRE VINNY!
FIRE VINNY!

Posted by: drischord | October 19, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Jasno RI Repost from April 2008:

Feelings About Vinny

As I wrote at length after the Zorn hiring, this is the Vinny Cerrato era, not the Jim Zorn era. He is in charge, hiring and firing PR people, devising new media guidelines, overseeing spending, setting a draft strategy. It's all him - he hired Zorn, was the voice behind promoting Blache, even chose the defensive line coach. He put in a West Coast Offense. He altered the front office structure, promoting Scott Campbell over Louis Riddick, firing one of their top pro scouts, moving Don Breaux to advance scouting from coaching.

Everything they have done the last 3 months is covered in his prints.

So, put the credit and blame with him. Personally, I think it's too early to start assigning a grade to him (plenty of time for that ahead, though, for sure), but was wondering if what he's done thus far has made any of you more comfortable with him being at the helm? Less comfortable? No change?

The rest of the league is watching, and it will be very interesting to see how well he does in this position, how long his tenure lasts in this new role and if he is able to improve his reputation around the NFL. As I wrote back in January, he's seen as a true GM by his peers now, and for better or worse the finger will be pointed his way.

By Jason La Canfora | April 2, 2008; 8:59 AM ET

Posted by: seriesoftubescleaner | October 19, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 19, 2009 3:59 PM

If the ball's within 10 feet of you, there's no excuse for not catching it.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 19, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I guess it is obvious that some people will never get off the Jason Campbell bandwagon. CAMPBELLS performance the first half of that game was awful anyone denying that is blind to what is taking place on the field. He missed open receivers and that has NOTHING to do with the terrible line that was in front of him.

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 19, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

A high draft pick and a new GM. Can you imagine?

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 19, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato was the one responsible in driving Greg Williams and Al Saunders away.

Cerrato should be kicked out of town for all the misery he instilled to all of the Redskin Nation.

Posted by: markreginald | October 19, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: markreginald | October 19, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: markreginald | October 19, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BenchCampbell

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 19, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm a JC guy, but jason missed DT on that one. Thomas had his man beat, there were a lot of places JC coulda thrown that ball to make it catchable. it wasn't his worst throw, but i'm not gonna put that one on DT11

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | October 19, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Here you go 4th

Hudson: Hey Vasquez have you ever been mistaken for a man?

Vasquez: No, have you?

Posted by: skinswest | October 19, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

FIRE VINNY!

Who is going to fire the GM? Daniel M. Snyder? Vinny wasn't too bad under Joe Gibbs.

ITS SNYDER, STOP LETTING HIM OFF THE HOOK!ITS SNYDER, STOP LETTING HIM OFF THE HOOK!
ITS SNYDER, STOP LETTING HIM OFF THE HOOK!
ITS SNYDER, STOP LETTING HIM OFF THE HOOK!
ITS SNYDER, STOP LETTING HIM OFF THE HOOK!
ITS SNYDER, STOP LETTING HIM OFF THE HOOK!

Posted by: periculum | October 19, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: markreginald | October 19, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder's balls are within 10 feet of Vinny Cerrato's mouth. That's for sure.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 19, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Can we let your mom off the hook?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 19, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I understand that Chance Gardner is back in town, maybe the Skins should consider him.

Posted by: opita1 | October 19, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

JC on 106.7 now...

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 19, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

The problem is very fundamental and foundational. The owner must change his ways and get out of being a meddling, fantasy league owner and hire a full-time GM (get Vinny out of there too) to run football operations. Not exactly news flash but nobody seems to be addressing this (or done enough) in a public setting. It's always the same damn "The quarterback is ineffective" or "the coach must be fired or stripped of extra burden" and other cop-out crap. Carlos Rogers had it right when he said "it starts with ownership" and I commend him for bravely bringing that to the spotlight. Danny Boy can just pay the checks and focus on business growth of the franchise, which he's apparently good at. With a GM running ops, things should slowly correct itself from there, like hiring the right coach, or make responsible roster moves, etc. Dan The Fan just doesn't get that part right and didn't seem to have learned a thing the last 10 years as owner. But even if he did learn something, he seems to be lacking even the most basic leadership/management traits, as evident in his handling of the current Zorn play-calling stripping fiasco. What kind of empowerment is that for your field generals, and what right does Dan or Vinny have in knowing that this is the most efficient/effective, less chaotic way to manage things at the tactical level? That's just my observation with this program, and I don't know how effective he was with his past business ventures, but apparently he found ways to make them more valuable for shareholders and became very wealthy in the process. But making moves to grow a business's value (as he's doing superbly with the Redskins franchise) and actually making technical tactical management decisions that'll affect line operations is entirely different. A GM that knows football technicalities should be responsible for that. Mr. Snyder didn't grow up in a football setting. And he apparently doesn't have experience working his way through the leadership/line-management ranks from the ground-up or at least learned them in theory from a business management 101 college course (yep, maybe he'd learn something from an MBA or something). In conclusion, until Mr. Snyder changes or a new owner buys the team out from him that has the heart and mind to know his role as team owner, the once-proud franchise will be forever dysfunctional. Sadly, I don't see Dan changing his ways as long as he owns the team.

Posted by: gcamps74 | October 19, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"I guess she didn't like the cornbread either."

Posted by: skinswest | October 19, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I was at a sports bar in upstate NY with a bunch of Giants fans. As Brees proceeded to light the Giants up, they guys just kept looking at me saying "at least we're not Skins Fans” and then would burst out in uncontrollable laughter. Painful.

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | October 19, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

"Crayola"

From the entity who brought you "Indian Red".

MoFo's was racist in school like sh**. The teacher used to tell us to sit "Indian Style." You'd get in trouble if you gave a kid an "Indian Burn". And we were taught that it's bad form to "Indian Give".

No wonder my favorite team is the "Redskins".

It all starts at childhood.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 19, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

How did Snyder get so rich? How does he not understand this is his fault and the fans hate his guts?

That said....Balloon boy's dad for GM.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | October 19, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

AND then there are all of those defenders. They push and bump our receivers and they never get called for interference. This is the officials' fault.

AND then there is that wind. Darn wind blows every time Jason throws the ball and makes it drift off course... This is Snyder's fault for not getting a dome.

AND then there is that thing called gravity. It pulls the ball to Earth so Jason can't throw an arc on the ball. Darn gravity! This is God's fault for making the planet so dense.

Hey here's reality for you... Jason Campbell sucks. He's a bust. He has a scatter shot arm and no pocket presence. He hears footsteps and doesn't step into his passes for fear of being hit. He whispers in the huddle (Collins drew one our guys offsides yesterday because he was barking the signals louder than Campbell ever did). He is not a leader. He can't motivate the players. I am tired of three years of making excuses and waiting. If he hasn't developed by now, he is not going to develop.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 19, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Chance would be a good set of eyes for Little Danny. He likes to watch.

Posted by: ellinwoods | October 19, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

4th can you paraphrase what he says.....thanks....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 19, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

BenchCampbell, I realize that given your choice of a handle you're kind of locked into this thing, but why not calm it down a notch there, chief.

Even Campbell's staunchest defenders -- and I include myself in that group -- acknowledge that he's not in that elite group of QBs who can put a team on their shoulders and will the team to victory, or whatever cliches apply. He just isn't. He's not as bad as you and others would like everyone to believe, but he certainly hasn't been what we hoped. He looks good at times and looks terrible at other times. He hasn't been able to overcome the adversity that he's faced.

But for you to continue to pound on Campbell as if he and he alone is the problem with this team... okay, we get it, you blame Campbell.

Well let me tell you something that should cheer you up: he's not going to be the quarterback of the Redskins next season. Snyder bent over backwards to move him this past offseason and failed. No new contract is coming, no chance. Campbell is gone. Does that make you happy?

Are you going to apply the same standards to the next guy?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 19, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Do you all think atleast Mrs. Snyder and Mrs. Cerrato realize their husbands are the most hated men in Washington?

And that's a tough thing to do with some of the d0uchebags we have over at The Capital.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 19, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 19, 2009 3:45 PM

I have heard that it was all Jason Campbell's fault the Skins only averaged better than 20 points/game only once in the past 10 years.

I have also heard he's responsible for the team running through 6 coaches in the past 10 years, and likely a 7th.

I have also heard Campbell has an IQ below 60, and underwrote "Where the Wild Things Are" because he couldn't get through the book.

I have also heard when Campbell is released, all will be right with the Redskins.

Yeah, that's it.

Posted by: Alan4 | October 19, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

If it is inevitable that Zorn and Cerrato will be gone, why not get started now? Let Bugel coach the rest of the season. Make your top personnel person an interim GM and trade as many players as you can for picks. When the real GM arrives, he has a good hand of draft picks to work with and can pick a permanent coach in the offseason. It's gonna take competent drafting in Rounds 3-7 to fix what's wrong with this team.

Posted by: ellinwoods | October 19, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

What an idiotic fing post

Posted by: dealer1 | October 19, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey everyone dont worry. According the Barno1, the 'SKins will still win the Super Bowl, Vinny will be voted GM-of-the-Year, and Danny will be voted Owner-of-the-Century by his peers.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 19, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Bean- Without listening, my guess is:

"Yeah, it stung getting benched."
"Yeah, I heard the boos...no I can't let it get to me...just gotta fight thru it."

"Yeah, I really hope there's a new CBA in place, so I can be unrestricted and get the !@#$%^&* outta this rathole."

OK, probably not so much with the last part.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 19, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Off topic, but someone said Balloon boy:
I hope South Park does an episode skewering Balloon boy’s dad….could be epic. That guy is an effin tool. I can see them having Randy go off the deep end and creating some false drama with Stan hiding in the attic against his will.
Or maybe they’ll do an episode about the Redskins…….

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 19, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

For the record I think most everyone knows it is snyder, but I think most people don't see any way to get rid of him, next best thing is to toss Vinny or Zorn or Campbell.

Usually there are 1-2 guys who like snyder on this blog but I think most of us would honestly tell themselves that Snyder is the problem.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 19, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Are you going to apply the same standards to the next guy?

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 19, 2009 4:18 PM

Nate, I hope you are right that he is not going to be here much longer. YES! it makes me happy. YES! I will apply the same standards.

Posted by: opita1 | October 19, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I still want to punch Ballon Boys dad in the sack.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 19, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Maske is right - at this point, who gives a rip? Snyder will never sell the team nor change his ways - too much history to suggest otherwise. Even if he fires Cerrato and Zorn leaves (getting fired by Snyder is a badge of honor in the NFL now), no top tier or rising coaching talent will come here. For proof of that, "Spages" stiffed Snyder and went to St. Louis! It took 10+ years to get to this point - it will take almost as long to remerge from the dregs of the NFL even if the right decisions are being made! At the end of the day, NFL owners don't care about fans - they care about cash flow and net worth. If Oakland and Cincinnati and Detroit can wallow in the worst of the NFL for years, then Snyder can keep this up for the next 30+ years.

Posted by: i155133 | October 19, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

bleakest moment -- all factors considered -- in the history of the Redskins franchise.
T Boswell.

Agreed.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 19, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Friggin Derek Jee-tuh leads off the game with a HR...

Posted by: 4-12 | October 19, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Look fans, we all know whose fault this really is.

It's the media's fault. The media's dropping passes, missing open receivers, missing blocks, committing penalties, not addressing the O-line, always fair-catching, missing tackles.

Stupid media.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 19, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Vinny wasn't too bad under Joe Gibbs.

Posted by: periculum | October 19, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

_____________

Some of the worst moves in NFL history were made under Gibbs/Ceratto.

Archuleta, Lloyd, Duckett. Trading multiple picks to move up and take Campbell. And to a lesser degree, trading multiple picks for McIntosh. They caused a lot of future damage to the team, which we are feeling now with lack of young talent on the offensive line and lack of depth in general.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 19, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

What an idiotic fing post

Posted by: dealer1 | October 19, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Sorry wich post you talking about my count is there are probably about 100 idiotic posts on this thread.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 19, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: markreginald | October 19, 2009 4:09 PM

(Times three.)

I wonder if markreginald was responsible for those old Bowl America commercials.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 19, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs was never a talent evaluator. Remember his reach for Desmond Howard when Betheard was not around anymore? Coaching - YES. Personnel - NO.

Posted by: i155133 | October 19, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I still want to punch Ballon Boys dad in the sack.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 19, 2009 4:22 PM
=====

If Dan Synder really wanted to make ALOT of money, he'd let people line up and pay to punch his VP of Football Operations in the sack.

Like one of those dunk-tanks at the county fair.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 19, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Betheard deserves much of the credit for the glory years.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 19, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

now we're in the gory years.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 19, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Pretty Standard stuff.

Dukes and LaVar are trying to put stuff in his mouth and JC isn't biting, but he also laughs and really doesn't answer. Then Dukes and LaVar tells him...We know what you are trying to say but can't.

I never learn anything when listening to JC17. He's talking positive.....But we all know Money talks....BS walks....unfortunetly for him.

I don't hate the guy as a person, but I would hate to have him on this team after this season.

HE agreed with LaVar about playing w/o trying to make a mistake vs. being a gun slinger. He says they benched him even though he was having a good year (editors note: Eye Roll). So now that he has been benched, he'll be a little more loose. Talks about people in DC should step in his shoes.....

He says he is making 67% of his passes and people are never satisified. Now...It's time to play ball.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 19, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

is this the bottom?? the old saying where its gonna get worse before it gets better...is this the low point, from where they have to rebound....it doesn't have to be a 10 year turn around....they could do it in 2-3, with some solid drafting and free agent pickups....

Count me in on the Alex Barron bandwagon after he shut out Jared Allen 2 weeks ago....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 19, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please answer this:
The playcalling is not the problem as has been stated by all the sports gurus.
Its the players. If the Skins dont have the players for the WCO, then which is it?
Again, i think it is trying to put the square peg in the round hole and that falls onto JZ.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | October 19, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

"Clickety click - sixty six"

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | October 19, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

CL, u know I agree with u on most but promoting from within THIS org is like going from F to F+...

Posted by: dealer1 | October 19, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Betheard deserves much of the credit for the glory years.
Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 19, 2009 4:28 P

The fact that he took only 2 weeks to put together a team of scabs which went undefeated and beat a non-scab laden Cowboys team says it all. It also says what a good coach Gibbs 1 was……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 19, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

P_McP,
I agree, or maybe we could create a dunk tank like structure where fans throw a football 5 yards and if they hit a target a boxing glove on a poll swings down and slaps him.

You have to make it fun. Also you have to let a few ex-players get in line.

Posted by: alex35332 | October 19, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"During the previous coaching search, a source told me Cerrato would play a big role in the decision and that Snyder made it clear to Cerrato that he would be held responsible for the coach's performance."

If this is true, I gotta pull for the Eagles to win Monday night. For the greater good.

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | October 19, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Betheard deserves much of the credit for the glory years.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 19, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

now we're in the gory years.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 19, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

No i think these are the glory years

wait the word hole needs to be in that sentence somewhere

And with that I am out!

Posted by: alex35332 | October 19, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Harvey Dent: The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming.

Harvey Dent for GM.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 19, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I used to work for Jack Kent Cooke as a contractor and was a true redskin fan before and after his passing. But I'm done now. Zorn being replaced by a geriatric play caller who has been on board 2 weeks is the most embarrassing moment ever for the team and organization and fans. The obvious lack of talent in running organizations has finally caught up with Snyder. He's a good deal maker but cannot manage people well, see 6 flags and his football team. The redskin fans have endured so much failure because he thinks he knows it all and I agree with Jimmie Johnson that there's nothing left to love here.(and I hate to agree with an old Cowboy) I ran into Snyder in the hall at Redskin park many years ago and he would not even look visitors in the face. Mr Cooke has got to be rolling over in his grave. So long skins.

Posted by: jack1948 | October 19, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

it's a car crash... it's why everyone slows down to look on the Beltway!

Posted by: 1of9000 | October 19, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Zorn, who now relays the play calls to the QB, is now the guy from the movie Office Space who relays the specs to the engineers.
I'm sure that after the eagle's game, Snyder will play the role of Bob Slidell and ask Zorn "What exactly is it that you do here?"

Posted by: Predator48 | October 19, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is no loser. He has much more class than the people he works for. He is willing to gut out a difficult situation to the end. I have more respect for him now than I did yesterday.

He may or may not be HC material, but he was put in this situation by others and they are not making it any easier for him. The problems with this team are not all his making by a long shot and make him look worse than he would if he had the proper personnel to run his offense, say at least an adequate offensive line.

I would like it better if he told Mr Cerrato that he is the coach and he will be calling the plays. But Zorn seems to see that the Skins are scoring so few points these days that he is willing to take his ego out of it and give this a try in the interests of honestly trying to improve things. That, too, I think takes some guts.

Posted by: cannontl | October 19, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is not the quitting type, league sources say.

Alex, this is what I was talking about.

Posted by: dealer1 | October 19, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

4th thanks....

this made me chuckle..

"He says he is making 67% of his passes and people are never satisified"

he can't be serious right?? I mean, 14ppg, again this year, so great, 67%, but 3 and out all game long...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 19, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Betheard deserves much of the credit for the glory years.
Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 19, 2009

True.

Actually, this was mostly George Allen's former intern Charley Casserly's work. Its why he was later hired as GM with the demise of surfer dude Betheard.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 19, 2009

Posted by: periculum | October 19, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

By the way, it's time to stop referring to Lewis as a "bingo caller" as if that's the only thing the guy did all day. Yeah, maybe he's been out of football for awhile but come on, people, let it go already.

Posted by: fan-o-matic | October 19, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I am curious to see how much of a pasting the MNF crew is going to lay on Snyder next Monday night. The pre-game show should be very interesting. Maybe Snyder will listen a little bit when 7 or 8 different guys slam him for running a once proud franchise into such despair. Maybe after 2 weeks of being criticized for sticking his nose where it shouldn’t be and needing to hire a real GM, he might get some sort of clue. Probably not though. I’m still going to root like heck for the Skins, but I fully expect another prime time embarrassment. And a bad hangover the next day.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 19, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

(1) Snyder hires Gibbs for $500K a year to be "team president", a.k.a. Boswell's suggestion.

(2) Gibbs's sole duty is to hire a GM.

(3) Gibbs identifies and recruits the best GM on the market.

(4) GM hires coach.

(5) Redskins trade as many aging veterans as possible for draft picks. Redskins cut old, expensive veterans who are past their primes and take the salary cap hit ASAP (R. Thomas, Randel-El, Portis)

(6) Let Campbell and Rogers walk this offseason.

(7) Horde draft picks, trade down to the 2nd and 3rd round where possible, and build up depth on o-line.

Posted by: Dellis2 | October 19, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, Barno1 posted up here last night (I think) that he had been wrong to be so optimistic about the Skins. He was obviously crushed by the Chiefs game. I was impressed with his candor.

Not that I'm a fan of Barno's (and not that he should care about that one whit), but that was very, very big of him.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 19, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of LaCanfora:

Here is what he thinks in his "power rankings".
_________________________________________________

30. Redskins — Cannot imagine this play-calling trick working. Need to make a real change in the personnel department.

31. Bucs — Enjoy London, mates, but this is not the week I’d want to be seeing the Pats.

32. Rams — You lose 16 in a row, this is where you land. Believe their last win was at Washington last season (Redskins tend to do that).

Posted by: periculum | October 19, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 19, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 19, 2009 3:59 PM

Nice of you to twist the point into something else.

On the Thomas INC, Thomas was so close to the sideline that it would have been very unlikely to have Thomas catch the ball in bounds.

On the Collins completion to Moss, I though Moss slowed up in his pattern, which cost us a chance at a TD.

Receivers need to run good patterns. These are two cases where the WRs didn't do their job as well as they could have.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 19, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fan-o-matic

Okay how about Sherm "Meals on Wheels" Lewis.

Posted by: Predator48 | October 19, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 19, 2009 4:40 PM

I saw that. It was a B/S way of garnering pitty so the masses don't jump on him for being a Vinny-backer. He said he was gonna let people "tee off" on him and at the same time he'd taking some time away from the blogs.

How do you let the masses "tee off" on you if you're not here? He should've manned up and stuck around if he really wanted people to "tee off" on him.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 19, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Gosh I really hope that Cerratto's head is on the chopping block for all of this.

It's good to know that these atrocious losses are mounting pressure on him.

Sadly, I'm looking forward to a blowout loss to the Eagles on Monday night so that Snyder and Cerrato can get crucified on nat'l TV and the pressure will continue to mount on Vinny.

I hate Cerratto and Snyder for what they've done to me: forced me to root against my own team for the sake of greater changes...

Sincerely,

A Fan in Exile Working Subversively to Undermine the Current Regime of the Team I Love

Posted by: p1funk | October 19, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 19, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse
------------

I bet they don't even wait till next week.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 19, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

2009: 13.1 pts/game - Prognosis: JC17's fault
2008: 16.6 pts/game - Prognosis: JC17's fault
2007: 20.0 pts/game - Prognosis: Todd Collins helped.
2006: 19.2 pts/game - Prognosis: JC17's fault
2005: 22.4 pts/game - Prognosis: Mark Brunell helped.
2004: 15.0 pts/game - Prognosis: JC17's fault
2003: 17.9 pts/game - Prognosis: JC17's fault
2002: 19.2 pts/game - Prognosis: JC17's fault
2001: 16.0 pts/game - Prognosis: JC17's fault
2000: 17.6 pts/game - Prognosis: JC17's fault

Conclusion: fire Zorn and JC17 and the offense will score 3 TDs a game! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Posted by: Alan4 | October 19, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Can't imagine that Sherm Lewis calling plays is going to magically endow Heyer, BMW and whatever bum they start at RG with the ability to play pro football.

I literally laughed out loud at the TV when Collins got sacked in the endzone for a safety on a 3-man rush...

Posted by: p1funk | October 19, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please answer this:
The playcalling is not the problem as has been stated by all the sports gurus.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | October 19, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

It's both. Actually it's a whole lot of things. It all starts with Snyder trading away picks for crappy older players. That limits the amount of draft picks forcing us to keep old players that get injured. Then it falls on Cerrato for trying to jam our guys into a WCO and hiring a coach that wasn't even a coordinator first. Then it falls on Jim Zorn for calling a bunch of crappy predictable plays and burning timeouts because he doesn't know where they are spotting the ball!!! Then it falls on the players for losing confidence and swagger. Crap rolls downhill and by the time it hits the bottom you end up with the 2009 Redskins.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 19, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 19, 2009

I was dead spot-on about what was going to happen. Way in advance of the season. And I still get pasted. It doesn't matter on this blog ...

Posted by: periculum | October 19, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWZ:

Shanahan turned down job offer from Snyder for an In-Season change....

Coming form AOL Fanhouse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 19, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think that at some point next Monday, Lewis is gonna get confused and start calling plays like "B-15," "I-5," "G-9," and someone else in the headset will be like "Sherm, this ain't bingo buddy" to which Sherm will furrow his brow and call a sweep-right run play.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 19, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Sources have confirmed that the Washington Redskins recently tried to hire Mike Shanahan to replace Jim Zorn and Shanahan declined.

"Shanahan told the franchise there was little he could do in the middle of the season for them and that changing coaches during the season in the NFL rarely works,'' a Redskins management source said. "Several people that Dan Snyder trusts have suggested, if he makes a move, he should turn it over to secondary coach Jerry Gray. That could still happen.

"We are trying to give Jim every chance to turn it around. The move to [bring in offensive consultant Sherm] Lewis is to take more off Jim's plate, especially the play-calling, because it is not working, and that is where Jim is spending much of his time. Now he can coach the entire team. Let's see where that gets us.''

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 19, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato is a liar!

Vinny Cerrato just wrapped up a conference call with reporters to talk about the hiring of veteran NFL assistant Sherman Lewis.

Cerrato said he approached Jim Zorn on Monday about adding a "fresh set of eyes."

Cerrato said he and Zorn agreed that Lewis would be a good addition and they approached owner Dan Snyder Monday afternoon to approve the move.

"All we're doing is adding a set of eyes," Cerrato said. "I kicked around names of guys that were available and we talked about Sherman Lewis."

Cerrato confirmed what a source told me -- the duties on the offensive staff will not change. Zorn remains the play caller.

"Everybody will be doing what they've been doing," Cerrato said.

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 19, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | October 19, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

____________

They certainly won't ever score 3 TDs a game with Zorn and Campbell in place.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 19, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

As much as I hated Lacanfora with all his Redskins bashing, it looks like he was right.

Somehow this has become worse than the Spurrier years.

I can't believe I just typed those two sentences. This is all sadder than an episode of Intervention. Which gives me an idea....

Posted by: hithere1 | October 19, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please answer this:
The playcalling is not the problem as has been stated by all the sports gurus.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | October 19, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse
It's the playcalling for sure. West Coast, Wildcat, whatever offense you play it doesn't matter. Football is football, you throw it to an open man, you run and you tackle. Blocking helps too. It is the playcalling

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 19, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

You need to solve one problem at a time. The 1981 Redskins solved a big problem. They had older, smaller offensive lineman. They replaced them with the Hogs. Suddenly Joe Theismann previously truly a joke of a QB in the NFL is putting up pro bowl numbers. And he wasn't even a ghost of Sonny and Billy.

Solve the line problems. Build the offensive line the right way. Then worry about who you want to play receiver running back and quarterback. And keep on upgrading the line where you can. Its what Gibbs did when he upgraded from Jacoby at left tackle to Lachey.

Posted by: periculum | October 19, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWZ:

Shanahan turned down job offer from Snyder for an In-Season change....

Coming form AOL Fanhouse

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 19, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Not surprising if the reports are true that Shanahan refuses to work with Cerrato...

Posted by: p1funk | October 19, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato will be held responsible??

That'll be the day.

Posted by: chasgiffen | October 19, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

the bingo posts are just straight money, can't get enough of them....so very humorous....

4th, I don't want shanny....no thank you, I'll take a younger hunger guy who wants to live at the facility, and make a name for himself...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 19, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 19, 2009 4:48 PM |

C'mon p1funk that's an old savvy vet, who reads defenses quickly making a play; albeit the wrong one. If TC is the new QB, I'm gonna give TC a chance. I do think that he's gonna be the new starting QB because I think JZ is gonna play the blame game and shuttle JC under bus. Whatever, I think the decision on the QB should be made tomorrow when they start the install. Sherm's is gonna need to structure the game plan accordingly.

Posted by: TWISI | October 19, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Trade Fred Davis

Posted by: BenchCampbell | October 19, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 19, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iH8dallas | October 19, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Changing the playcaller right now for this team is like trying to replace a couch in a house that is burning down...

The offensive side of this team is done.

The O-line is in shambles. JC17's confidence has to be crushed. CP26 clearly has his best days behind him. The triplets have not progressed.

Time to press the "reset" button on this offense.

Posted by: p1funk | October 19, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

The O line lacks depth?. The Front Office didn't see that coming! Zorn is handing the playcalling to someone who hasn't been with the team 13 days and is hanging on to see the team win? You gotta be kidding me. The owner's box was STUNNED? Now that is ridiculous!! I hope they don't beef up security to protect the owner over this little misunderstanding.

Posted by: donsilvester | October 19, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alan4 | October 19, 2009

Sure and we'll just bring in Sanchez or Cutler and put them behind this line. One or both end up on the IR with a concussion within 3 games. Be happy to predict that too.

Last I looked Cutler and Sanchez weren't setting the world on fire. IN fact Sanchez looks a lot worst than Campbell. Cutler about the same. So ... oh yeah and Denver is 5-0 with the no-name at QB. What's up with that?

Use your brains for something other than a hat rack would ya please?

Posted by: periculum | October 19, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 19, 2009 3:54 PM

Clarification: They get IN the Red Zone a lot ... they just can't get from there and into the End Zone.

Other than that, what did I miss?

Posted by: dcsween | October 19, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | October 19, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Zorn has to go with TC. What if Zorn's play calling sucks? He can't have Sherm going in there with JC and scoring points now can he? He'll go with TC that way if Sherm does work out he can say "Ha, I told you so"!!! I think changing the play calling will help a little but this team has some serious fundamental issues that aren't going to be solved this year or even next.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 19, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

This absolutely is not the bleakest it can get for the Skins come down of that ledge right now. This is baaaaaaaad, real bad, but it very much could get worse. Snyder is a big problem, and he's a constant he's not going to fire himself. However, he is also the easiest fix of our problems. Zorn isn't going to become a good coach and Vinny isn't going to become a good personnel guy but Snyder can easily become a good owner. Positives about him already, he is willing to spend money on the roster and while he has a penchant for trying to make the big splash in hiring and talent acquisition from a personal standpoint he is very spotlight adverse. The downside is he thinks he knows about football when he doesn't. All Snyder needs to do to be one of the best owners in the league is to finally admit that he isn't capable of running the football side of the operation, hire an experienced proven GM and get hell out of the way, if he does that everything can and will right itself very quickly. However, the bleakest day in Redskins history will be if after 10 years and the rapid fall to being the joke of the NFL Snyder's ego still makes him think that for some reason he and Vinny can still do this and he fires Zorn, does another cockamamie coaching search and keeps himself and/or Vinny involved in anyway with personnel decisions. That would be the bleakest day in the history of the Redskins.....and also the day I stop being a fan.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 19, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I feel shock...and awe. So this is what Saddam Hussein felt in 2003!

Maybe we should beam transmissions of Redskins games into Iran and North Korea. They'll be begging for mercy in no time! Or we should Donald Rumsfeld in charge of changing regimes at the Park. We could get Colin Powell to give a presentation of Zorn's tenure that will definitely get the international community on board for an intervention.

I just reread what I wrote and realized that NONE of these ideas is any sillier/crazier than hiring Sherman Lewis away from Meals on Wheels Bingo to coach the Washington Redskins. There is just no way to exaggerate this situation.

OMG.

Posted by: hithere1 | October 19, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Enough with VINNY, Snyder, Zorn, Campbell, Portis, etc... redskins nation. Let try to support our team in anyway possible. We are 2-4 with 10 games to go. We play 5 division games and if...And I know this is a bigggggggggg IF, go 4-2 or maybe 5-1 in the division we are ok, because we all know eagles nor cowboys are not great. They are one play or game from being in the same position as we are right now. It's any giving Sunday folks...anything can happen!!!

Posted by: taylormade218 | October 19, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

The same clowns who wasted 3 draft picks on Thomas, Kelly, and Davis also wet their pants over Campbell while the rest of the league said..."who"??????

Posted by: bundy44 | October 19, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why everyone here thinks we've hit bottom. This is no where near as bad as it can get. Just wait 'till we start playing good teams that are hungry and still in the hunt.

We could get seriously blow out and embarrassed on a much grander scale then the crap fight we've been sitting in on so far.

Skins better get it together, and I mean fast.

Posted by: edvar | October 19, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | October 19, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

And as per usual he's wrong.the rams squeaked past the skins and then ponded the cowgirls the following week

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 19, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

If Snyder thinks that tyring to hire Shanahan or another name coach is going to solve everthing for him, he has not learned anything. He is just repeating his past mistakes.

And the fans anger will grow even worse until it affects his pocket book. He will not get off the hook this time until something major changes in his organization and the way he does things.

Posted by: cannontl | October 19, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Let it be so, this moron Vinny must go!
If Danny doesn't fire him, then you fans (true, fairweather, or angry) in DC should run Vinny into the Chesapeake Bay with torches and pitchforks.

Posted by: mdflorals | October 19, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I have a great one:

WHY DON'T YA PUT HER IN CHARGE!!!!!!

Posted by: Wittan | October 19, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, we would have more success with Newt running this team. What is Carrie Henn up to these days?

Posted by: Wittan | October 19, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

let bugle take over...hahahaa...better than zorny.

paging mr holmgren

Posted by: thepinched | October 19, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

and why we didn't go after M.VICK?? If ya'll goin to do this (SKINS) why not give VICK a shot???

Posted by: taylormade218 | October 19, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | October 19, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Agree..PLs see B-more...

Posted by: taylormade218 | October 19, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

This is truly amazing. Let's see what we have here.
1. We have a QB who has four years in the league, whose every bad game has been excused away. Face it people JC is at best a backup QB. That being said we have won the SB with QBs that were not superstars, but all of them were miles ahead of Campbell which brings us to....
2. The offensive line. That cutting of Jansen and letting Kendall go looks great now doesn/t it? After yesterday we have proven that Stephon Heyer can get beat from either side. There is a reason that he was UNDRAFTED. Where did the draft pick of Vinnie's Chad The Rhino go? Oh year he is a bust also. Good pick Vinnie. Taken as a whole the line sucks. If you look at the Skins teams that won the Super Bowl they had good offensive lines. Way to go Vinnie, good job there also. Which brings us back to the QB situation. ( I can't let it go ). We now have a QB that CAN'T play ( Campbell )and one who HASN'T played in two years, one on IR, and a no name as the third one. Great situation Vinnie I didn't think even YOU could screw this up so badly, but you surprised me. You did. Which brings us to......
3. Vinnie's draft choices. The invisable man ( Kelly ), I don't know the pattern (Thomas ) and Fred, I can't stay on my feet, or make a legal block, Davis. The aforementioned Rhinehardt, the punter ( Oh yeah, he got let go last year.) Great job here Vinnie. ( Do you see a pattern forming? ) which brings us to.....
4. The owner. This is the only team in the league that ought to fire the owner. Problem with Danny is that he grew up as a fan, managed to get stupid rich, and bought the team. Let me go out on a limb here and say I bet Danny never played a down of football in his life. Even Jerry Jones PLAYED the game. Danny should follow the precepts of Management 101: Hire the BEST people available and let them do their jobs without interference. He can't do that because he is too much of a fan, therefore if he REALLY has the best interest of the Redskins at heart he should SELL THE TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O K Danny if you won't sell the team FIRE VINNIE, FIRE VINNIE, FIRE VINNIE. which brings us around to.............
5. The circus of the last 24 hours. Zorn may or may not end up a good coach, but how more screwed up could Vinnie's handling of the play calling get? Have I mentioned that Vinnie ought to be fired? Is there anything that is troubling the Redskins that does NOT have his fingerprints all over it? The only thing I can figure is that Cerrato has pictures of Snyder with a goat.

Posted by: rmcpks73 | October 19, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

@PAskinsfan17 I don't think Zorn cares who starts at this point, he is just holding on until he gets fired and makes his big payday....

Posted by: The_Spear | October 19, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Comcast reports: Shanahan turns down the head coaching job (Get on your job J Reid!!)

Posted by: jiza32 | October 19, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I want to applaud the posting of cannontl at 435 PM. I was disappointed that Zorn didn't tell Vinny to stuff it, but I like cannontl's interpretation.

Posted by: richardshaker | October 19, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

I just want to know how a guy who just got here two weeks ago is gonna call the plays..I guess the proof is in the pudding regarding JZ's credentials as an offensive mastermind..All we heard when Al Saunders was here was how it was gonna take 2 years before we saw the results because of the however many thousand pase playbook...Sherm Lewis learned Zorns playbook good enough in 2 weeks to call the plays?? Whats it printed on? a dinner napkin??

Posted by: scottmando | October 19, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

No chance in hell Shanahan or any other decent coach w/ sense would come hear w/ Vinny as GM.

Posted by: skinhead62 | October 19, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Just do it Danny, cut Vinny loose so we can start reconciliation.

Posted by: Rush21 | October 19, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse