One Man's 53-Player Roster

In advance of the announcement later this week of the 53-man roster, here are my picks to make the team. Obviously, I'm doing this way in advance of Saturday's NFL deadline, so injuries and other unforeseen circumstances could lead to last-minute changes. After speaking with many people in the organization, I believe I have a good handle on the breakdown of the roster, though you really never know for sure until it's officially set. Well, anyway, here we go.

Quarterbacks (3): Jason Campbell, Todd Collins and Colt Brennan

Despite renewed concerns among fans in the preseason about his ability to be "The Man," Campbell begins his third full season as a starter and one that could be his last here unless he has a career year. For the fourth straight season, Collins returns as the No. 2 quarterback. Collins, beginning his 15th season in the league, was supposed to be challenged for his job by Brennan, but it never happened. Brennan has struggled throughout camp and the preseason and has found himself in a battle for a roster spot with rookie Chase Daniel. Still, I'm sticking with Brennan.

Running backs (3): Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright

Although Portis still is the Redskins' top back, Betts will be the main guy on third downs. At least publicly, Portis seems fine with the move. I'll be curious to see if that changes. Steady Rock Cartwright continues to lead the way on special teams.

Fullback (1): Mike Sellers

He's back again to lead the way for Portis and Betts. But from now on, no more participating in pregame ceremonies, okay?

Tight ends (3): Chris Cooley, Fred Davis and Todd Yoder

Cooley is the Pro Bowler with the coolest blog. After purchasing an alarm clock, Davis seems ready to contribute. Yoder is dependable.

Wide receivers (5): Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El, Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas and Marko Mitchell.

Moss remains the team's top playmaker. Regardless of who opens the season as the No. 2 wideout, I think Kelly will emerge as the breakout contributor if his surgically repaired knee holds up. The Redskins hit it big in the seventh round with Mitchell.

Offensive line (9): Chris Samuels, Derrick Dockery, Casey Rabach, Randy Thomas, Stephon Heyer, Mike Williams, Chad Rinehart, Jeremy Bridges and Will Montgomery

The Redskins are concerned about Samuels and Thomas, who underwent knee surgery in the offseason and experienced knee problems in the preseason. Williams has not played in a regular-season game since 2005 and Rinehart did not appear in a regular-season game as a rookie in 2008. More so than any other position group on the roster, quality depth is a must here.

Defensive line (9): Andre Carter, Albert Haynesworth, Cornelius Griffin, Phillip Daniels, Lorenzo Alexander, Anthony Montgomery, Kedric Golston, Jeremy Jarmon and Renaldo Wynn

On paper at least, this is Washington's most talented defensive line in Greg Blache's tenure as defensive coordinator here. Owner Daniel Snyder is counting on Blache to make big things happen.

Linebackers (8): London Fletcher, Brian Orakpo, Rocky McIntosh, H.B. Blades, Chris Wilson, Robert Thomas, Cody Glenn and Darrel Young

Fletcher is the on-field leader of a fundamentally sound and statistically strong defense that hopes to become a big-play group this season. Orakpo is learning how to play linebacker, but it appears the rookie could be a major force rushing the passer. Although he's short, Blades is an effective reserve at all three positions. Wilson is transition from a hand-down role and Thomas and Glenn are special-teams guys first. Young is my sleeper pick to make the team, largely because of his work on teams.

Cornerbacks (5): DeAngelo Hall, Carlos Rogers, Fred Smoot, Justin Tryon and Kevin Barnes

Hall is the team's new No. 1 corner, and he has the big contract to prove it. Rogers was slowed throughout the preseason because of a lingering calf injury and Smoot, who also worked at free safety in the preseason, is the nickel corner. This is a big season for Tryon, who improved in coverage after struggling badly in the preseason opener. In his rookie season, Barnes is just trying to figure it all out.

Safeties (4): LaRon Landry, Chris Horton, Reed Doughty and Kareem Moore

Landry has the talent to become a big playmaker and Horton was a major surprise as a seventh-round pick in 2008. Doughty does a little of everything off the bench for the Redskins, and coaches are intrigued about Moore's potential.

Punter (1): Hunter Smith

Finally, the Redskins have a consistecy.

Place kicker (1): Shaun Suisham

If Suisham stinks it up in Jacksonville, it'll be "Welcome aboard, Dave Rayner."

Long snapper (1): Ethan Albright

Mr. Reliable.

By Jason Reid  |  September 1, 2009; 1:30 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: At Redskins Park, Goodell Addresses Labor Issues
Next: Haynesworth Will Skip Trip to Jacksonville

Comments

wow, nice

Posted by: bryaningrocery | September 1, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Is it game day yet????

Posted by: cocodc1 | September 1, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Special teams or not.... I don't see 8 linebackers on the final roster...

Posted by: oldnova | September 1, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I have trouble seeing the Offense not get atleast one more Roster spot, either RB, FB, OL, or WR. If I was going to bet on it i would say it would be Mason or Williams the FB.

Posted by: lowtharofthehill | September 1, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I also think Renaldo Wynn is over... he got pancaked by a rookie in the Ravens game... humiliating...

Posted by: oldnova | September 1, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

1nd? How about the practice squad? Any chance of Aldridge and Mason hanging around there?

Posted by: boothintexas | September 1, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Also Daniels?

Posted by: boothintexas | September 1, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Geez Jason, Don't you read your blog? We already decided we're cutting Wynn for Anthony Aldridge.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 1, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, you definitely didn't go out on a limb there, except maybe Darrel Young. Certainly hope they go with 1 less DL (Wynn) and keep Aldridge, Dorsey or Mason.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 1, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

id swap wynn for anthony alridge

Posted by: brian58 | September 1, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't like it....
Need more impact @ RB behind CP....

And what happened to Henson? He'll def be on the Practice Squad...Him in Doug Dutch...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 1, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

+1 OL or RB, -1 LB

Posted by: gregegeg | September 1, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Seriously Jason, try & keep up with the blog. Did you forget Aldridge is Vinny's guy?

Posted by: will_ga | September 1, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Its fun to think of who on that roster will be replaced by better/younger guys in 2010, which I think will be our real chance to win if JZ/JC are still here.

I'd include:

Rock
Yoder
Rabach
Daniels?
Wynn
Betts?
ARE?

Other than Fletch and Daniels, we are incredibly young on the defensive side of the ball.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 1, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

rb sure does look blah though.....MMason is missing....

Posted by: bryaningrocery | September 1, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Young for Mason.

Championship.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 1, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree with your picks, save for Darrel Young. I do think Robert Henson makes this team.

Posted by: MadeRED | September 1, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

RI: "On paper at least, this is Washington's most talented defensive line in Greg Blache's tenure as defensive coordinator here." ??? Normally when you make a statement like that you are referring to a span of years. Blache has been DC 1 whole year.

Posted by: BiggerVance | September 1, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Tyron blows. Just sayin'. Also, I hate hanging on to old, mediocre players in the interest of maintaining "core redskins". Betts, Cartwright have got to go. Wynn also.

Posted by: bostskin | September 1, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

And Randy Thomas to my list.

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 1, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking Mason needs to make the team.

Posted by: Dorf | September 1, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

COLT vs CHASE: I am not a big fan of Colt, but I agree with keeping him to let him grow (r u hearing this JC-haters)
We can keep Chase via practice squad, so it will be open comp for 2nd spot next year

NO MASON? I would find a way to keep him in there. We need burst and Rock and Betts are burst-less

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 1, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Lendy Holmes instead of Darrell Young.

Rob Jackson or Buzbee for Wynn (Wynn doesn't play special teams).

Alridge for Rock. [D. Thomas on KR and ARE relieved of PR.]

Posted by: dcsween | September 1, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 1, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

There's a couple of guys that should end up there but Jason is only listing the 53 man.

Antonio Dixon, Chase Daniel, Edwin Williams, Robert Agnone, Lendy Holmes, J.D. Skiolnitsky, and Eddie Wiliams should all be on the P-squad.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 1, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

great work...I would carry four RBs (Rock is purely a teams guy IMO) So I would go Mason over Darrel Young and find someone to take Young's spot on teams...

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | September 1, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Brennan - Out ... Daniel - In
Young - Out ... Mason - In
Suisham + Rayner - out ... Matt Bryant - In

Posted by: mattylight | September 1, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Marko Mitchell should yell " Polo!" with every TD catch.

Posted by: bostskin | September 1, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

i think we could retain young on the practice squad and give him a year. Contrary to the opinion that because he has never made an NFL roster and therefore isn't good enough..baloney. MM should make this team. Either him or AA could add a spark to what looks like a solid
1)CP
2)LB
3)RC
(read unspectacular expect for CP)
group that could use some SPEED read playmaking!!

Posted by: bryaningrocery | September 1, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, Ryp....a couple days away from the '09 53-man coming out, and you're playing the "which vets get cut in '10 game?"

Need a ruling from Greg in Bahston...does that qualify for a 'ufb'?

Posted by: 4-12 | September 1, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

@ Bigger Vance.

Correction. Blache has been on Washington's staff since the 2005 season, and he was the Defensive Line Coach.

He has only been the Defensive Coordinator for 1 year. But, Jason's quote was totally appropriate since Blache has overseen the D Line since 2005.

Posted by: MadeRED | September 1, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I'd include:

Rock
Yoder
Rabach
Daniels?
Wynn
Betts?
ARE?

Posted by: Rypien11 | September 1, 2009 1:51 PM |

Collins and Randy Thomas too.

Posted by: BiggerVance | September 1, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I would also offer my layman opinion on the receivers:

let the players play! If Moss cannot get open, let others try to catch a ball. ARE, God protect him, is pretty much a decoy anyway since he doesn't catch any balls, so why not put a couple of ambitious receivers in there and maybe good things will happen.

I'll be very very happy when the following trio is on the field

Moss, Kelly, Thomas
Moss, Kelly, Marko
Kelly, Thomas, Marko

Also, coach Zorn, can we please not throw away any downs? it seems like the Redskins sometimes decide to not call an effective play on particular downs due to some secret run/pass quota. Example:

1st and Ten----missed throw
2nd and Ten---run for 1 yard
3rd and nine---run for 2
punt

We should somehow eliminate this sequence of plan/thinking. Feel free to run on first and gauge the success before committing 2nd and 3rd downs to run. If you try to pass on first and don't make it, you are not fooling anyone with the run on 2nd down, especially when the running game is going nowhere. I am definitely not a football genius so you guys, don't get offended if I am way off base....

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 1, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

From that list, cut Williams, Young, Cartwright, and Wynn, keep Mason, Aldridge, Henson, and Jackson.

Posted by: psps23 | September 1, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh, also, today I'm throwing my hat into the Chase Daniel's bandwagon. He doesn't have the whacky side arm throw, played in a much more difficult conference, and looked more confident in this preseason than Colt did last season. Therefore, I subscribe to the Case for Chase.

I reserve the opportunity to change my mind as of late Thursday night. And I also recognize that Colt was not only an expenditure of a draft choice (making him a Vinny guy), but also Zorn's draft choice.

Posted by: dcsween | September 1, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

yea i'm not liking the lack of surprises to make the team, especially at the backup RB position.

Posted by: eghblaw | September 1, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

@ Bigger Vance.

Posted by: MadeRED | September 1, 2009 2:02 PM |

Posted by: BiggerVance | September 1, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I just went through the 75 men we have on the team and just put a rank beside them of Pass Fail Bubble. I have 36 guys who are a lock on the team 9 who are not going to make it and 30 that are on the bubble.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Lendy on practice squad too. Wynn is done. Mason or alridgehas to make it, take your pick.

Posted by: AdamCr | September 1, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking MWilliams to PUP.

Henson has to make this team...HE has too much potential.

This Young dude may be lucky to make the P Sqaud...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 1, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Make Mine Mason.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 1, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Mr Mayor, I only count 50 on your list

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 1, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

You have to keep either Aldridge or Dorsey at RB for a change of pace back

Posted by: davispond | September 1, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

53rd

and beeps...

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 1, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I do think there is something to Chase having a much tougher college schedule. I just think he has a bigger upside & will be snatched off the practice squad if he gets put there.

Posted by: will_ga | September 1, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 1, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I understand where you are coming from, psps. I'd like both AA and MM to make the team. But if thecoaches are convinced that MWilliams will be ready to play at some point this season, he does add insurance to the OL, where we have the oldest and most injury-prone group of players on the team.

And I'll go aong with The Mayor on Young. I have no seen him in the preseaso games, but apparently he hasmore speed than Hensen.

But since BOrak and CWilson do play part their time at DE, I think Wynn should be cut and team should select either AA or MM, to put some speed in the backfield, and give us an alternative as punt returner.

Posted by: frediefritz | September 1, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I have been looking over the roster a lot right now and I got to tell you, I see too many guys who should beat out Wynn.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Minus Robert Thomas and Renaldo Wynn
Plus Marcus Mason and Either Eddie Williams, Robert Henson, or Chase Daniel

Posted by: mlandsjr | September 1, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@ Bigger Vance
[The dud should have used different words. Is it asking too much for a professional journalist to use the right words?

Posted by: BiggerVance | September 1, 2009 2:11 P]

No there's nothing wrong with asking a professional journalist to use the "right words." But, if you understand what he's saying, what's the point??? Anyway, I guess editing the Blogger's Blog Post is worth the time. Sorry to interrupt.

Posted by: MadeRED | September 1, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

MadeRed and Bigger Vance:

I'm pretty sure Blache has held defensive coordinator title since he's been here, although this is only his second year calling the defense.

Gregg Williams was "Assistant Head Coach - Defense".

In the title-inflated Gibbs regime, Bugel was also an Assistant Head Coach, and Saunders was named Associate Head Coach once he came on.

I think you got baited by JReid into your complaints.

Posted by: Flizzo | September 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Aldridge or Mason has to make the team. We are in dire need of breakaway speed at the RB position.

I see nothing from this preseason that warrants keeping Colt over Chase.

Posted by: McMetal | September 1, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

The Skins could safely cut Mike Williams - nobody is gonna pick him up - and bring him back if disaster strikes. Get rid of him and Wynn. Keep Lendy Holmes and Aldridge (athletic special teamers)

Posted by: coparker5 | September 1, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@ Flizzo:

Gregg Williams was "Assistant Head Coach - Defense".

I think you got baited by JReid into your complaints.

-----

By that reasoning, everyone who is still talking about this got 'baited.' The bottom line is, everyone who follows the Skins closely knows that 1) G. Blache has been with the team for more than one year, and 2) regardless of what recollection we have of his title, he coached the Defensive Line under Greg Williams, and when he became D. Coordinator John Palermo was brought in to coach the D. Line.

So, the original post, while not Technically accurate, was not completely off-base when it read that the 2009-10 Defensive Line is the most talented line since G. Blache has been here.

Posted by: MadeRED | September 1, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

that is a safe bet on the roster.

although has anyone see Young make a single play in pre seeze?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 1, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

My only issue with "Da Mayor's" roster is the Defensive Line and Linebackers. I wouldn't keep Reynaldo Wynn over Rob Jackson or Alex Buzbee. I would also rather keep the other LB they drafted (Henson) over Robert Thomas. This team needs to keep as much youth as it can.

Posted by: moseley_brian | September 1, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: moseley_brian | September 1, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Wide recievers- Weak C+
Moss & El can never stay healthy, the other guys are suspect.

Running Backs- Portis OK banged up, Betts is alright? The other guys are suspect but i do like Aldrige.

Offensive Line- Weak & Old suspect to not make it pass week 8!

Defense line- Too much talent not to get to the QB. A lot of guys are old!

Defensive Backs- Smoot is our best DB?
Half a year Springs is a lot better than none at all.

Safeties- Weak! Now that Taylor is gone nobody fear the middle or the long ball against the Skins.

Special Teams- Alright
Kicking- ??

Posted by: shamken | September 1, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Redskins Management: Please cut Colt Brennan today so he can immediately get picked up by a more serious team and get on with what will no doubt be a Hall of Fame career.

Any doubters out there? Well here's an easy way to put up or shut up: Let Colt play a half with the 1st offense, then let Jason Campbell play a half with the 2nd/3rd offense and tell me who has better results.

Posted by: Time4Sanity | September 1, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

1. 9 DL? You never have more than 4 on the field at the same time except goaline so this is way too many. Add to that the fact that 2 LBs (Orakpo and Wilson) excel with their hands down and this is clearly overkill. WYNN is CUT.

2. You have 26 on D and 24 on O. Cutting WYNN results in 1 more spot on O and as many have pointed out this goes to the RB spot. Still an open question which of the three it will be.

This is THE open question that matters (as opposed to the Kicker (either will hurt us in the end) or 3rd QB (neither will ever play anyway))

3. IF I was the GM (I'd be so much better than Vinny) we would trade ARE for a 6th or 7th round pick (2 of our best picks have been in the 7th rd!) and put Dorsey on instead. Then, with Wynn cut, we have Dorsey (ST and PR) and Mason (RB and a little bit of ST).

Posted by: wassavi | September 1, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

if you don't have #29 Holmes making the team, you've not been paying close attention. Dude can cover at CB and makes all the tackles at safety.

Posted by: buster_c | September 1, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Keep Alridge. The dude can scoot, and dump Betts

Posted by: vtsquirm1 | September 1, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

By and large, an excellent choice, Jason. I only demur in one respect: on a 4-3 defense, why keep 8 --eight!-- linebackers? My modification would be to drop one of the linebackers, and add Marcus Mason at RB: the first three RBs are all good, but also getting a bit shopworn. The Skins will need a young running back with some power & acceleration in December and (hopefully) January. Mason seems like a good fit.

Posted by: elena4 | September 1, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Wide recievers- Weak C+
Moss & El can never stay healthy, the other guys are suspect.

Offensive Line- Weak & Old suspect to not make it pass week 8!

Defense line- Too much talent not to get to the QB. A lot of guys are old!

Defensive Backs- Smoot is our best DB?
Half a year Springs is a lot better than none at all.

Special Teams- Alright
Kicking- ??

Posted by: shamken | September 1, 2009 3:29 PM |
===============================

So much writing.....such little thought!!
Portis is OK??? The best back in the NFC east adn you say ok!! Starting off strong aren't you!!
Defensive line is getting old?? Besides Wynn, who are you talking about?? Do you know what you are talking about?? Did I even need to ask that??
DB's and Smoot is the best corner?? What a joke!! He's the perfect #3, but nothing more!! Eventually will be moved to safety.
Safety's?? Long ball??? The Skins had the 4th lowest yards per pass average in the league and you say that teams pass deep on them???? What deep plays are you referring to?

Do some research if you have a clue as to what that is!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | September 1, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

jackson at de has more upside potential than wynn they already have 3 d-linemen over 30yrs old. aldridge has burner speed if he has good hands find a space for him on the roster. If O-lineman williams is not ready to play put him on pup and look for a late cut OT from another team until he is ready. barnes maybe to practice squad and westbrook(should know the defense by now)given a chance.

Posted by: wathu19 | September 1, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Not keeping 4 RB's is the only mistake.

Cartwright will not get any carries in this offense for a lot of reasons.

There's no way they keep only Portis and Betts after all the injuries.

They brought on Shaun Alexander last year...

Mason/Aldridge make the roster.

Posted by: saltine182 | September 1, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween
_____________________

Plus if we're playing the 3rd QB, it's cause JC and TC got killed by a deteriorating O-line, meaning we need mobility, which Chase provides much better than Colt. I'm pro-Chase!

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 1, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

With a little luck, we might be able to pick a starting QB from the waiver wire and release Campbell.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 1, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | September 1, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldnova | September 1, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I haven't been keeping up with Wynn's play but I can tell you that the "pancake" block was a joke. That pancake occurred because a veteran linemen knew that the play was over and the rookie was bulling him back into the pile. Linemen need their wheels, especially older veteran linemen. Wynn eased up, knowing that the pileup of humanity was right behind him and Ohler takes his momentum and rookie energy and goes 100%. Wynn played it the only way he could and stopped moving his legs back because he knew what was behind him. He even picks his legs up knowing he was going to take it in the chin.

It looked brutal but it was definitely a savvy and smart veteran play. He was in for the next play, wheels intact, while Ohler had to leave the game to stop the blood from his split face.

Posted by: BigDeck | September 1, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Darrel Young

FB(2)
Mike Sellers
Eddie Williams

LS(1)
Ethan Albright

I wish I could Mason on the squad because I believe he is better than Betts. Alridge is a change of pace back so I gave him the nod. Colt has had a bad preseason. Chase played one game, true, but he outplayed him in roughly a quarter of work compared to Colt playing in all 3 preseason games.
Cartwright is expendable to me. There are people on the roster that can return kicks and be on special teams coverage. I do not really care for R.Doughtery. He gets beat in coverage way too much. Tryon got the bid just because Dutch has not shown me anything.

Posted by: daquietcutie | September 1, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldnova | September 1, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

With that being said, I vote youth over experience with regards to Wynn. Got to throw the nod to youth (speed, agility, strength, revved motors and fresh wheels) over veterans (savvy, experience, strength, leverage, and technique).

Can't coach speed.

Posted by: BigDeck | September 1, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why they signed Wynn. He was cut 2 years ago because he was too old. I like what i saw from Aldridge. Guess Rob Jackson from last year's draft is gone?

Posted by: BarackObama | September 1, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I'll take 4 back up LBs instead of 5 and then add A. Alridge to the backfield.

And Chase Daniel in the keeper at QB

Posted by: bigfoot1 | September 1, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

This was a pretty weak post, considering it didn't include the names of the guys that would be cut, and didn't include a practice squad.

D- for Reid.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 1, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

WE NEED ANTHONY ALRIDGE ON THIS TEAM!!!... (and please stop calling him Aldridge people... it's ALRIDGE)

Posted by: BossmanJunior | September 1, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Way to go chalk Jason.

I can't see keeping Wynn over Mason or my preference Alridge. Given the versatility of Jarmon and Alexander it doesn't sound right. I also wonder the wisdom of only one FB even if that is Sellers. With Carlos hurt - do you hang on to Westbrook? I think I'd even rather keep Edwin Williams the Center/Guard as a 10th Olineman and not risk him on the practice squad than Wynn. Keeping a 10th Olineman may be the most prudent thing because I imagine it's only a matter of time before Thomas, Samuels, etc. get knicked up and we don'te really have any idea of whether BMW can really perform. If you have to keep another dlineman I'd still keep Dixon over Wynn. If Devin Thomas returns kicks well again I consider cutting Rock.

Posted by: thinker11 | September 1, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

BARACK OBAMA:

Mr. President, sir. ROB JACKSON is on the team currently and hasn't looked too bad this preseason. You may see him Thursday evening. He's #91. I'm afraid however, he's not gonna' make the cuts coming later this week. ALEX BUZBEE has also looked pretty good. He's #90. I believe WYNN will make the team however because of the experience factor.

D-line and linebackers are set. Same for the d-secondary. HENSON goes to the practice squad.

Offense line as JR has said although I don't see how the club can risk keeping MIKE WILLIAMS. This is not going to be pretty.

I like the fact that MONTGOMERY can long snap if the "RED SNAPPER" goes down.

I continue to believe that either BRIDGES or WILLIAMS as back-up OT is no back-up at all.

Same for the rest of the offense. MARKO will be great in 2-3 years. MARK my words. This dude is a better version of KEENAN McCARDELL. I see KELLY or he as #2 in three years with ARE gone and MOSS as a #1 still.

HUNTER SMITH will take the nasty taste out of my mouth whenever we punt. It's been too long since we had a decent kicking game.

I think RAYNER's the stronger leg, but kickoff's to the goal line must not be of utmost importance. I noticed when the ball went to the fifteen, it did not get to the twenty-five in the last game. Some of the longer ones did or worse. So accuracy will be the determining factor IMO, and I think SUISHAM has a slight, that's SLIGHT advantage there.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 1, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

It's going to such when ethan albright retires. He is literally, the BEST long snapper in the league.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 2, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

They need a change of pace RB on the roster who dresses on game day.

Either dump Cartwright or Young or Wynn to make room for Aldridge and run him as a change of pace back. Or keep Mason. Either one.

Posted by: DownTownClown | September 2, 2009 4:06 AM | Report abuse

I think that is too many LBs--Sorry but I think Jason's sleeper pick is destined for the practice squad.

The team will use that slot for another DB (Lendy Holmes or Byron Westbrook) or another RB/FB (Probably Mason but maybe Williams at FB).

If there is a surprise cut, it will be Wynn or Cartwright.

Posted by: HokiePaul | September 2, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Are you all kidding? There is no way there going to cut Cartwright. He has given them consistent good field position on kickoffs, and is better at holding on to the ball, than say Mason. That will always be his downfall. If you keep someone, keep Dorsey. He has the burst, plays teams, and is a better returner than Mason. The more concerning one for me is Suisham...What has he done to stay around? Did you notice the length on Rayners kickoffs? Suisham has the only miss of the preseason, and sure didnt distinguish himself last yr. Lets give Rayner the shot. I think Jason went the safe route, and something tells me there will be a few surprises come cut day. I agree Wynn maybe gone, I mean you dont cut good youth player like Jackson, to keep around a guy that no longer has a real upside.

Posted by: Jatchi8577 | September 2, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

"Also, I hate hanging on to old, mediocre players in the interest of maintaining "core redskins". Betts, Cartwright have got to go. Wynn also.
Posted by: bostskin"

Always seems to be a fair amount of support for the idea of getting younger by cutting older, mediocre players. Problem is, who do you replace them with? Except young, inexperienced, mediocre players. There's always a surplus of those.

Idea is to upgrade the team for this season, not next, right?

Posted by: Samson151 | September 2, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Even if JC goes ahead and completes his/her gender realignment surgery, he is still going to think and throw like a little girl. So we should keep watching the waiver wire and looking for a quarterback who can lead this team to a trophy or two.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 2, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Marcus Mason has been putting up some good preseason stats the past couple of years and I was a little surprised to not even get a mention of him in your article. However, the player I would really love to keep is Dom Dorsey. This kid has looked very explosive on punt returns, an area I think we need to improve greatly upon. I still love Randle El, but I don't think he's a very good option returning punts (6 yards per return). I definitely see your point about keeping Young to improve teams, but we've got to find a way to improve field position on punt returns as well...

Posted by: Goldleader | September 2, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Best case scenario OL 2009-10 (after a couple injuries to the Mayor's 9):

LT- Gen. Stanley McChrystal
LG- J-Lo
C- Jenny Craig
RG- Barbara Eden
RT- JR Ewing

Posted by: ElYeah | September 2, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Sorry....after last weeks performance I can say Colt Brennen has no business in the NFL.

Posted by: congero | September 2, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree 100% that Colt Brennan has no future in the league with that goofy throwing motion. Develop a kid with a future.

Posted by: fullonfully | September 2, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse