One Man's Take on Redskins' Cuts

Cut-down day always reminds me that people see things differently and, when the Redskins announced the season-opening 53-man group, there were many more roster surprises than I envisioned.

I thought they would carry nine offensive linemen; they carried 10. Guard/tackle Jeremy Bridges was not among the group, but D'Anthony Batiste and Edwin Williams were. And although I did not expect running back Marcus Mason to make it, the former Georgetown Prep standout is on the team.

And the cornerback situation provided another interesting twist. With so many unexpected moves, I'm in the mood for a quick cut-down day edition of, "Here's what I think. ... " so away we go.

Here's what happened: Mason is in.

Here's what I think: Coaches wanted a change-of-pace back, which Mason is not. He's a good inside runner who produced in other preseason auditions with the Redskins, and Mason, 25, brings much-needed youth to the position. Mason failed to make the team out of the preseason in 2008, in large part, because of his deficiencies in pass protection. A scout who watched the team recently told me Mason still struggles with blitz pick-ups, and I watched him whiff on two blitzes against New England.

But Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, said Mason's overall game is much improved. Among media members, speedy back Anthony Alridge was a chic pick to secure a spot. Several people familiar with the team's internal roster discussions Friday told me Alridge was eliminated because he didn't have much of a body of work - and what he did have wasn't very good.

He fumbled repeatedly early in camp and missed considerable time because of a foot injury. Alridge showed a little something with a 5.4-yard average on nine rushes against the New England Patriots. But with roster spots on the line Thursday against the Jacksonville Jaguars, Alridge fumbled on the Redskins' opening kickoff (he cradled the ball in the wrong arm) and Jacksonville recovered and returned the ball for a touchdown. No matter how fast Alridge is, he put the ball on the ground way too often.

Here's what happened: Byron Westbrook is the Redskins' sixth corner.

Here's what I think: Cool. Westbrook is not as talented as his running back brother, Brian, but the cat is a hard worker who put in two full seasons on the Redskins' practice squad. He had his moments in the preseason, and it's always good to see blue-collar guys get rewarded.

Of course, the main reason Westbrook is on the team is because rookie third-round draft pick Kevin Barnes really struggled. A couple of people told me the former Maryland starter was so lost in coverage at times the Redskins could not risk beginning the season with only five players at the position, especially considering no one is sure how Carlos Rogers' lingering calf injury will respond as the team begins preparations this week for the season opener next Sunday against the New York Giants at Giants Stadium.

In fairness, Barnes isn't the first rookie corner to struggle while making the transition to the NFL, and he won't be the last. His left the door ajar and Westbrook seized his opportunity.

Here's what happened: The Redskins kept only two quarterbacks - starter Jason Campbell and backup Todd Collins.

Here's what I think: After speaking with sources during the day, I expected this one. I wrote earlier about the possibility because of the numbers crunch the Redskins encountered trying to get everyone they wanted on the roster.

Washington made the decision to put Brennan on the season-ending injured reserve list because of his left hip injury (he also had a right hip surgery before the 2008 draft), which worked out well with their roster situation. "Basically, we put a 10th lineman on for that extra quarterback," Cerrato said. "Or you can say we put Marcus Mason on for the quarterback."

The reality is that No. 3 quarterbacks rarely play. Wideout Antwaan Randle played quarterback in college at Indiana, so he could move to the position in an emergency. With everything the Redskins tried to accomplish, they needed to find an extra spot somewhere.

Here's what happened: Incumbent kicker Shaun Suisham held off challenger Dave Rayner.

Here's what I think: Another easy one. I always thought the Redskins would stick with Suisham because of the familiarity factor. When Suisham nailed a 48-yarder against the Jaguars, he sealed the deal. Rayner didn't get many opportunities to showcase his ability on field goals because the Redskins' offense didn't move the ball much on his turns in the rotation. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

Here's what happened: Bridges was among the surprising cuts.

Here's what I think: I was really surprised about this one. Not that Bridges had played particularly well in the preseason, but he has starting experience in the league and had worked at both guard and tackle since camp began. The Redskins went with rookie Edwin Williams in part because the undrafted rookie free agent out of Maryland plays center and guard. Offensive line coach Joe Bugel was high on Williams who "can play three spots and got better each week," Cerrato said. "He earned it."

By Jason Reid  |  September 5, 2009; 8:57 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Suisham Wins Kicking Job at the Wire
Next: Kelly Is Hitting His Stride

Comments

woo-hoo! It's me!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 5, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, can't believe we cut a 2009 Draft Pick (and a 2008 pick as well).

Posted by: educk | September 5, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Top 10 running backs in the NFL:
Grade
1. LaDainian Tomlinson 89
2. Adrian Peterson 88
3. Brian Westbrook 86
4. Steven Jackson 84
5. Michael Turner 84
6. Larry Johnson 84
7. Marion Barber 82
8. Maurice Jones-Drew 81
9. Ronne Brown 80
10. Clinton Portis 80

Top Players (with the most impact)

1. DeMarcus Ware 94
2. Tom Brady 94
3. Peyton Manning 93
9. Albert Haynesworth 93
10. Haloti Ngata 03
11. Ed Reed 93
12. Andre Johnson 93
13. Champ Bailey 92

Look at these guys ... are you really
going to say that Portis belongs with that
crew the way that Bailey does.

If you believe that you have been smoking some really strange crank.

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, can't believe we cut a 2009 Draft Pick (and a 2008 pick as well).

Posted by: educk | September 5, 2009 9:13 PM

Not one, but two 2009 draft picks.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 5, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Virginia being thumped by William & Mary. Didn't see that coming.

Posted by: will_ga | September 5, 2009

They were pretty good last year ... why not?

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

They were pretty good last year ... why not?
Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 9:21 P
Just thought Virginia would be better.

Posted by: will_ga | September 5, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Good to see the Skins w/ a DeMatha bias (wink x2)

Posted by: bernard_thompson | September 5, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Byron Westbrook is horrific. I don't care how hard he worked in the off season. Using this logic, Buzbee should make the team (pahleese). I find it hard to believe we are going into the season with Mike Williams backing up Heyer (who is injury prone). Cheers

Posted by: MPNangle | September 5, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Upgrades in regard to the 0-line in my mind other than adding WIL MONTGOMERT include DOCKERY who has looked good, far better than when he left. He should help us forget KENDALL. HEYER is improved, but still a question-mark to my mind although a cut above JANSEN who played like a zombie at times last year. RABACH continues to perform steadily at center. EDWIN WILLIAMS is rough, but has excellent upside and could be a standout in two years. And finally BATISTE who played well at LG, but struggled against corner rush at RT.

Still troubling are both SAMUELS and THOMAS who have to prove they can play pro caliber ball after serious injuries. RANDY was held out of the JAX game. Evidently serious enough to rest what ails him. His outstanding career is nearing its end.

On the least optimistic side, CHAD RINEHART continues to give me night sweats. And MIKE WILLIAMS looked terrible for a veteran player. The thought of him having to pinch-hit for SAMUELS or HEYER is downright scary.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 5, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

If you believe that you have been smoking some really strange crank.

Posted by: periculum

I don't believe the Scouts Inc. ratings at all.

For instance, should Steven Jackson, Larry Johnson, Marion Barber, or Ronnie Brown be rated ahead of Portis?

Watch the games, check the stats.

Also, imagine those trades never happened. Forget all the hypotheticals about who we COULD have gotten. Do you think we would have rather had Bailey's cover skills than Portis' running?

Other than '06 when we got lit up, I'd say no.

Elite cover corners are harder to find. Bailey was elite on '04, '05, maybe '06.
He's living off reputation now.

We're in the NFC East. The top rated WR in the division, by Scouts Inc. ratings, is Antwaan Randle El, at #29.

Who do we need Bailey to lockdown?

Posted by: saltine182 | September 5, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Jeff George for No. 3 QB!

Posted by: brian58 | September 5, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

The final roster reflects the shakiness of the upper levels of the depth chart and the shakiness of what just made it in at the lower level.

1. QB. Neither Brennan or Daniel looked good in preseason. If there had been a first or second year guy with potential they would have kept him. Brennan and Daniel were essentially training camp fodder. There is the distinct possibility that the Skins start 2010 with none of the QBs they had in 2009.

2. OL. There are probably going to be injury problems here and backups will be used when necessary. Not that the current crop of backups are all that great but more spots and bodies are needed because of the creakiness of the situation and the Skins took the best of what they had to fill up the space, at least for now. Thomas will be gone after 2009.

3. DB. The Rogers injury is worse than the team is willing to admit. And the depth chart behind Rogers and Hall is not very sturdy. Hence an additional body was needed to provide more options when Plan A does not work out. Smoot will be gone after 2009.

4. RB. Portis is declining and his backup is also, even worse than him, so they needed another body and Mason made it in even though he is not very good. Bet on Betts not being around for 2010.

Because those that just made it onto the roster are not very good and because there are injuries waiting to happen, the Skins will be casting about throughout 2009 for help from the outside.

Posted by: MrRed | September 5, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

All right Jason we know Marcus it not your guy. Get over it and move on. Marcus will make some nice plays for us this year and you will write something good about him if you remain to be professional and remember to not take your reporting so personal with any player. Your relationship with players will always be the key to your success to gather true Inside Information. If you burn players you must remember players will stick together and black ball you in the locker room......

Over the past week you have made every attempt to crush this kid in your blogs or treads and I do know you are better than that.....

Posted by: thebanker21 | September 5, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this Reid kid the same one with the horrible video blogs last year? I still flinch when I remember those.

Posted by: themantoyou | September 5, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Who do we need Bailey to lockdown?

AAAHHHHHHHHHHH WRONG! You lose.

You should see from the rankings and where Haynesworth and elite QBs Manning and Brady were placed that they are pretty accurate ...

... and try watching games? Compare Portis to Peterson for example? If you say Portis is as good you are high on California crank.

An elite cover cornerback is typically considered more valuable than a top ranked receiver.

Reggie Wayne IND grade:93
Randy Moss NE grade:93
Andre Johnson HOU grade:93
Larry Fitzgerald ARI grade:92
Steve Smith CAR grade:91

DeSean Jackson PHI grade:75
Antwon Randle El WAS grade:74

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Marcus probably won't even play as long as everyone's HOF hero and surly bon vivant Clinton Portis is in charge. He's probably just a place holder while the look around for what they need.

And they do have significant needs in more than one position.

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I am satisfied......

No complaints.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 5, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I usually don't comment on this blog but I must say that to call this an insider page is such a joke. I keep giving the site a chance to get better but it doesn’t. As a “professional journalist”...have you ever heard of proof reading before posting an article? Back to PFT for my I go!!!

Posted by: agcoony | September 5, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

"I don't believe the Scouts Inc. ratings at all."

Speaking of such, it is illegal, unless so authorized, to publish proprietary data that is availble only through a subscriber fee. It wouldn't be too hard to find out who is committing the crime, even though we use bogus names here. Take a page from the Skins playbook and go after someone who does it repeatedly over a long period of time and prosecute the crap out of him as an example of what can happen when you break the law. Snyder may have his shorcomings as an owner, but one thing he is good at is using lawyers.

Posted by: MrRed | September 5, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of such, it is illegal, unless so authorized, to publish proprietary data that is available only through a subscriber fee.

Let me know when the Chinese stop publishing millions of DVDs of movies from Hollywood before they have even premiered here! In India they actually congratulate themselves for being "good thieves" and stealing proprietary scripts and making them into Bollywood movies!!!

Don't get me started on all the outsourcing that his going on ... risking National security! Gee its fun working somewhere were a bunch of guys from India speak constantly in their own tongue and try to find ways to sabotage you so they and their outsourcing company can get your job.

MrRed YOU NEED TO GET A LIFE!!!

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Two tidbits from ESPN's Paul Kuharsky

1. I don't think Brennan will ever play for the Redskins again -- even when he's healthy. The two sides will reach an injury settlement and go their separate ways.

2. No-brainers: You knew Marcus Mason was going to make this team as the fourth running back. And by the end of the season, it wouldn't surprise me if he's the backup to Clinton Portis.

----------

Paul Kuharsky of ESPN is basically calling Jason Reid a dummy.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 5, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Snyder may have his shorcomings as an owner,

Posted by: MrRed | September 5, 2009 10:09 PM

Oh yeah? I noticed that you weren't able to name any shortcomings, unless, of course this is a cheap shot about his height. What a low blow.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 5, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Corrected:

2. No-brainers: You knew Marcus Mason was going to make this team as the fourth running back. Its "the good publicity"! And by the end of the season, it wouldn't surprise me if he's off the team and replaced by someone else.

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum

No one is comparing Portis to Peterson.

The subject was the Portis/Bailey deal.

Sorry I missed Desean Jackson, he's at a 75. Randle El at 74.

Bailey's value isn't near that high in a division where there isn't an elite WR.

Posted by: saltine182 | September 5, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Here's what happened: Marcus Mason made the 53 man roster.

Here's what I think: Jason Reid swings, and misses.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 5, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Sam Bradford hurt & Oklahoma loses. Wow.

Posted by: will_ga | September 5, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Here we go again. The slugs at Redskins Park have again been encouraged (or assume they should to impress the bosses) are again on the attack of the WaPo.

Posted by: TheCork | September 5, 2009 5:42 PM

I thought that Cork was daft -- dafter than usual -- for posting this. But watching all the newbies up here beating on Jason, I think he called it perfectly. Way to go, Cork.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 5, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: saltine182 | September 5, 2009

Operative Word: Yet.

However, Last year Terrel Owens was pretty close. As was Plaxico before MrRed turned him in.

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Duly noted, periculum.

Mason will be a bust.

Got it.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 5, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Ditto 4th.
Looks like vinny just mightve hit on one of his receivers with Kelly though he reminds me of darkerian.

can't help but think that if we as fans brought in Marty schottenheimer or a real gm and coach what he wouldve done with Fred Davis, tryon, rhinehart, Devin thomas, jc. I say he cuts them. Ohh well we find out in 6-7 more months.

Posted by: dealer1 | September 5, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: agcoony | September 5, 2009 10:08

Don't let the door hit you on......Oh what the heck, let the door hit your azz on the way out!!!

Posted by: will_ga | September 5, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | September 5, 2009 5:42 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Like that guy MrRed ... sounds like one:
probably Weiseman or whatever that stupid
blogger's last name is ... mebbe Fitzgerald.

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

looks like the drive by moron posts are getting into mid-season form.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 5, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

יש לי תחושה לא נוחה עם זה בסגל הנוכחי

Posted by: Spanglerg | September 5, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Mason will be a bust.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 5, 2009

Never said that. He would be a "bust" on special teams that's for sure. But as a running back? I don't think they will ever give him a chance ... not a real chance.

Look at it this way. They are carrying TEN OL! TEN!!!! At least 2 extra ... possibly even 3. Why don't most teams do this? Because they need guys to play on the "specials". Adding Mason, and the extra OL have created a critical shortage on the special teams! That can lead to kickoff and punt returns for TDs. To little or not return yardage for the Skins. In other words poor field position.

You have to take all of this into account when you create a roster. Either that hasn't been done or they are reserving spots for folks they think they can pickup either by trade of on the waiver wire.

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

I think Jason Reid is doing a fine job.

As for the hatchet job the Post did re the ticket sales, such stories have to be written - even if they are predictable.

The only part that shocked me was the way the WaPo website posted the headline for those two-consecutive-days articles at the TOP of the home page. I believe that should be reserved for isues that actually impact all people: healthcare reform, job losses, climate change, et al.

I don't get the print edition where I am, but I assume the "Tickets Story" was NOT given PAGE ONE status.

At least I hope it wasn't.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 5, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

יש לי תחושה לא נוחה עם זה בסגל הנוכחי

Posted by: Spanglerg | September 5, 2009

Translation: I feel uncomfortable with the present roster.

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Skin, it was actually Thursday morning, front page story that is.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 5, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

looks like the drive by moron posts are getting into mid-season form.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 5, 2009

F chrislarry he's a moron. Feel better now?

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Alot of Tyron hating in the BArnes segment.

Tyron, a 4th rounder, had the media miffed on how he made the team last year. This year, BArnes, a 3rd rounder, has built in excuses and no one in the media picked him to be could.

Just sayin.....

And I think Tryon has big potential. MAybe DGreen knows what he's talking about after all....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 5, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't even reffering to your normal lunatic babbling periculum, but a hearty F U back atcha.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 5, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 5, 2009

They need fast guys who can tackle for the "specials". That's really all that counts at this point.

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 5, 2009

Thank you CL. Got your attention ... :)

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 5, 2009 10:42 PM

----------

Darrell Green agrees.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | September 5, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Boy we sure need some comic relief, the lunatics are running the asylum:

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 5, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow - Leevi98/Vinny is back after a long absence.
Leevi, I wouldn't start with defending the champ trade though. Maybe focus on how good C. Horton and M. Mitchell turned out to be instead.

Posted by: zornskins2 | September 5, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

First of all...I have not had a "long absence" I have made many comments on here. Just some only focus on the posts they disagree with. second...Don't throw me under the bus on the subject I commented on. It was already long going...I just made one comment on a subject many were already discussing.

3rd...i don't like Vinnie either...so why you include his name with mine I have no idea.

Posted by: leevi98 | September 5, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

cL, we need a scouting report on perineum

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 5, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Reid: "Bridges has starting experience...blah blah blah"..

Yeah?? Well Jansen and Kendall both have an ass ton of starting experience and neither one of them are here either. Thankfully.

No disrespect to Jansen's contributions over the breadth of his career.

Redskins went with the youth who earned the spots...Buges likes 'em...'nuff said.

As to BMW... you gotta keep a BMW over a used Ford Tempo... even if it needs body work and an engine rebuild. The quality is there, and the upside is SWEET.

Overall, the age of the line has significantly decreased and there is a LOT more than some beaten down ham and egger waiting to limp onto the field if the first stringer goes down. Remember the days of Wade, Fabini and Geisinger???

Yeah i agreee, those days sucked.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | September 5, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

"cL, we need a scouting report on perineum

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 5, 2009"

Needs to be traded to a tropical locale. Grows best there.

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

scamp, I don't know...the dude is so wack-a-doodle would anyone draft him?

Posted by: chrislarry | September 5, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

scamp, I don't know...the dude is so wack-a-doodle would anyone draft him?

Posted by: chrislarry | September 5, 2009

I can make my own draft ... just by opening the door ...

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Erasmus James (last years Mike Williams) suspended by NFL. Sorta redundant right? He was already out of the league.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 5, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Wack-a-doodle is a great description cL. And I would draft him and trade him to the London Sillynannies for a ham sammich.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 5, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Don't know if anyone's noticed but four of the backups in the OL slot are guards with 2 center guards. Everyone pretty much knows Rhinehart can't play tackle. The only true backup tackle is big mike williams.

I think glawrence003's night sweats are justified.

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 5, 2009

Nah ... rather go to the Wichita Wall-E's for a gluten free raw food snack.

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Is Mason a change of pace to Portis and Betts?

Reid has continuously said no.
Mosley says yes, and I agree.

Aldridge and Dorsey's speed weren't as advertised to me, Mason has a burst we sorely lack.

Posted by: eghblaw | September 5, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Is Hannah Montana a Redskins Cheerleader?

Chris Cooley: "So it should come as no surprise that I chuckled when I pressed the order button to the Miley Cyrus movie. I figured what the hell, I don't have to tell anyone about this."

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

At least I hope it wasn't.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | September 5, 2009 10:33 PM

A1, top of the fold, two days in a row.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | September 5, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

I gotts admit....This John C Reilly dude is pretty funny! I never gave him any credit....But with this Dewey Cox story and Step Brothers movies, he stamped his way into officialness!

Black Dude: Get out of here Dewey

Dewey: What are you guys doing in here?

Black Dude: We're smoking refer. And you DON'T want no part of this SJK.

Dewey: You're smoking refer?

BD: Yeah. Of course we are. Can't you smell it?

Dewey: No. I can't

Groupie: Come on Dewey! Join the PArty!

BD: NO DEWEY! You DON'T want this! GET OUT OF HERE!

Dewey: You know, I don't want a hangover. I can't get no hangover.

BD: It doesn't GIVE YOU a HANGOVER!

Dewey: well...do I get addicted to it or something?

BD: IT'S NOT HABIT FORMING!

Dewey: Well...ok. But I don't know...I don't want to overdose on it...

BD: YOU CAN'T O.D. ON IT!

Dewey: It's not going to make me to want to have sex, is it?

BD: It makes SEX even BETTER!

Dewey: Sounds kind of expensive...

BD: It's the CHEAPIST Drug there is........YOU DON'T WANT IT...

Dewey: I think I kinda want it...

BD: Ok...just this once. Come on in...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 5, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Russ Grimm's son #26, linebacker on Va Tech,made a great play to strip an Alabama runner in open field.

Roll tide baby as Hokies are going down...but it was a good play.

Posted by: will_ga | September 5, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow Jason Reid, you really know how to to show your dissensions with Marcus Mason. I mean give the guy some credit he played good enough to win a roster spot and from what I seen he picked up rosters well I guess every player needs haters and your definitely on his list.

Posted by: Tom_square | September 5, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Some thoughts on the cuts:

- Cutting Jeremy Bridges will hurt if we get hit with injuries. I'm all about a youth movement, but I have a hard time believing there wasn't any room for a guy with starting experience at guard and tackle.

- Hope you Marcus Mason slurpers are happy. And I also hope you're right. I still don't see the wisdom in going with 4 backs when you don't even effectively use 2, but I guess Mason is so great that he can play 3rd string QB since he has taken the torch from Leigh Torrence as the greatest thing to ever happen.

- I don't understand why the team decided to go young/inexperienced on the O-line and old/experienced on the D-line. To roll with both Daniels AND Wynn is crazy. They're essentially the same guy and I would have preferred to continue the development of Rob Jackson or Alex Buzbee.

Hopefully the team upgrades at some spots with some of the cuts around the league today. I'm pretty intrigued by Justin Miller (cut by the Raiders), dude could be a decent depth corner and an instant upgrade in the return game. That should be their first call.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 6, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Poor Chase.. I bet he thought he made it once Colt was put on IR..

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | September 6, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Just giving thanks that it's over and we're on to the regular season. Seven days 'til the Skins kick off, only four days 'til Titans-Steelers. Whoa, Nellie!

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 6, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

No big surprises, but a few questions. We kept Williams even though he can't pass protect? We kept 4 RB's when we barely use 2?

Gonna be interesting. Can't wait to hear who they will pick up as the 3rd QB - because you know that's coming, even if it's just to run scout teams...

Time for the D to get nasty and the O to fly high and pound low.

Tee it up and kick it already!

Posted by: edvar | September 6, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

If Chase is on practice squad, can't he run the scout team?

Posted by: will_ga | September 6, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe. periculum actually said demarcus ware is the most impactful player in the league....im dumbfounded. only a dallas fan would EVER say that....demarcus ware...impacts the game...more than brady or peyton. Is periculum the name of the particular crack you smoke? Im sorry for getting immature here...but you're stupid. can't think of another way to say it

Posted by: poconnor | September 6, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

HE'S NEVER EVEN WON A PLAYOFF GAME FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!

Posted by: poconnor | September 6, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

although not a fan of Vinny and the FO, I think it was a smart move to go with the 2 qb move (I prefer Chase over Colt). Now are you bold enough not to put Chase on the pract squad. There are so many other positions of need/depth I like having ARE as the 3d qb. Maybe if ARE could get some work in out of necessity, Zorn would realize that using ARE in the right situation would improve his (predictable) play calls and catch someone off guard for a big play. Why not use an asset since you have it? btw, it's not like someone is going to snatch Chase up right away unless they have injuries at qb. I hope they put Aldrige on the pract squad, unless they can find another speed weapon from some other team. We desperately need a speed demon in the backfield because right now no one expects our backfield to run away from anyone (mason being the closest to it right now IMO). Playing at the NYG is generally a low scoring affair, so we need something different from the conservative crap I seen from my skins. Utilize JC to run the ball more often because they do not expect him to (proper slide required). HAIL SKINS!

Posted by: jenksredskins | September 6, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

scouts inc rankings = power rankings

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 6, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

periculum, it looks like you had a meaningful Saturday evening...

Posted by: trolly_time | September 6, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Man the skins just love these undrafted OLinemen from Maryland

Posted by: tm1135 | September 6, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

ESPN's Matt Mosley:
"I don't think Brennan will ever play for the Redskins again -- even when he's healthy. The two sides will reach an injury settlement and go their separate ways."

Sounds like that would be the case. Even though Colt was in pain, and kudos for him to tough it out, he still made horrible decisions with the ball and has not shown anything to prove he would ever be a legitimate starting qb in the nfl.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 6, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

I say third string QB should be Jeff Garcia for the Redskins!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | September 6, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Chia_Pet should change his/her name to Teacher's_Pet

Posted by: Vicc | September 6, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

#47 takes over SI's hot clicks page in case anyone missed it. I'm glad he's on our team!

Posted by: will_ga | September 6, 2009 1:34 AM | Report abuse

Its like amazing, they do one thing that makes sense at the same time they do something stupid. Cutting Bridges, was a bad move, no way around it, the only veteran with starting experience they had for depth period. Any of the other guys would have cleared waivers and made the p-squad, and Mike Williams? plz, he's been out of football for 3 years for a reason. However, I must applaud the 2 QB keep an extra back and extra cb move. I never understood why they kept 3 qbs anyway since JC was made the starter. The fact is its JC then Collins, if we have to go past that we're screwed anyway, ARE could get us through a half if need be and anybody we sign is good enough to a #3 there are plenty of number 3s on the street, I prefer having the depth at positions of need on the roster more than wasting a spot on a designated clipboard holder.

Posted by: zjfr2 | September 6, 2009 2:01 AM | Report abuse

JC needs better playcalling this year period. The O-line should be better and hopefully healthy.

JC also needs to be faster and more decisive. He needs to play to win and not play to not lose. He needs to let her rip! He won't be back if he doesn't win games, so he might as well accept some interceptions....and go deep, deep ,deep baby

Posted by: peaceful2008

-------------------

Peace, Peace, Peace, what the hell are you talking about? "The O-line should be better"
Here is the juice of the matter: the Redskins looked at 2008 season and realized that one huge reason for their failure was the O-line. So they organized a bunch of meetings to address the issue thru free agency and draft. They focused their attention on the O-line and signed big time free agent O-linemen and drafted talented O-linemen in the draft, right?

WRONG! the Redskins looked at the problem and got bored. they decided to spend all their money and attention on defense. Here is the "logic": Damn it, if we cannot score because our offense sucks, let's make our defense better so the other team doesn't score either. We'll be 0-0 all through the season, right?

Wrong! Doesn't matter how good your defense is. Somebody is going to score a couple of points on you. With Redskins offense on early retirement, the defense will play 40-50 minutes per game and the 4th quarter will be a good time for opponents to light up the score board.

Help!

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 6, 2009 2:08 AM | Report abuse

Are there professional scouting services that a team could hire during preseason/draft? Kinda like a consultant who can look at the draft and the free agents and find solution to problems? Can this be outsourced?

I mean, MrSnyder must be pretty saavy to make his marketing empire. I am sure he knew how to use smart people to keep things going. How come he is not doing that with the Redskins? Does Vinny Cerrato have nude pics of Ms. Snyder as blackmail?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 6, 2009 2:28 AM | Report abuse

periculum, it looks like you had a meaningful Saturday evening...

Posted by: trolly_time | September 6, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abu

you slay me. dude takes this stuff personal. bottom line : HTTR. Hail victory. Braves on the warpath, FIGHT for ol' D.C.

Posted by: saltine182 | September 6, 2009 2:38 AM | Report abuse

The team got younger and hungrier for the first time since Gibbs took over. We have all the pieces in place to compete in this division, depending on (elephant in the room) Campbell. I would like to know what is going on with Brennan and the injury, bc besides the ineffective preseason, the kid has potential and the skill set for this offense or the one that will be here next year if this one doesnt work. Late round draft pick QBs have been good in this league lately, and I'd hate to see us blow another one.
Colt, hold the clipboard next to Zorno this year like you would have if you made the team as QB3, and learn as much as you can to compete for the vacant QB1 slot next year if JC doesnt make the pro bowl. Mr Shanahan will teach you the rest you need to know.

Posted by: bobnowell | September 6, 2009 2:41 AM | Report abuse

I must be missing something though on the Redskins lack of attention, or incorrect response to the O-line woes.

Is it because there really weren't any good O-linemen in the draft? Is it because we have some gems that no one knows about? Is it because O-line is not sexy enough for the headlines?

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 6, 2009 2:46 AM | Report abuse

I will go out on a kool aid drinking limb and not complain here. We all said the oline sucked in July and Jason didn't get sacked all preseason. Buges is no idiot so I'll trust that whatever he saw in Edwin justified letting bridges go. That was a surprise no doubt but it's not like we cut clady. Mike Williams needs to improve too but he's got some upside and can move the pile in the run game.

But the decision to use the extra roster spot for a Westbrook instead of alridge actually is kinda comforting, in that the fo is skipping the trendy sizzle pick for someone that is reliable and just fills a need. We'll see.

Posted by: AdamCr | September 6, 2009 3:05 AM | Report abuse

Fans must not watch the game close cause there were alot of if's and but's and why's.Redskins will go 8-7,and I believe this is Zorn last season.This is the Pro's not College Ball and it is always say's Preseason is Preseason Coaches are Coaches thats why they are in the game.Are you? So let the games begin.Next Year is another Year and there be Tebow what will happen then if Zorns there? Training again how to be a QB,Zorn is new to this game too if I was the QB's I go to a team that needs QBs and fit in a Team that needs QB simple and said this is not to right or a wrong but a Fact!!!!!!!!!Go Skins,oh and watch the Tape's you might Learn Something?

Posted by: hokuhema | September 6, 2009 3:06 AM | Report abuse

You guys can spend your time bickering about roster decisions if you really think it's worth the trouble, but what's done is done.

I for one am spending my time envisioning Eli Manning being repeatedly driven into the fake grass at the Meadowlands.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 6, 2009 3:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: peaceful2008 | September 6, 2009 2:46 AM

I think this was a topheavy oline year in the draft. All the guys that could really help us were gone by 13. We'd probably have taken oher as a solid pick if we didn't luck into orakpo still being available at 13, which I got no problem with.

Lots of people wanted us to draft oline in late rounds too, which is fair, but if we didn't go for the best players, no marko. It's a double edged sword.

Posted by: AdamCr | September 6, 2009 3:13 AM | Report abuse

יש לי תחושה לא נוחה עם זה בסגל הנוכחי

Posted by: Spanglerg | September 5, 2009

Translation: I feel uncomfortable with the present roster.

Posted by: periculum | September 5, 2009 10:36 PM

Nice, periculum, but it's Hebrew. Isn't that backwards?

.retsor tneserp eht htiw elbatrofmocnu leef I

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 6:03 AM | Report abuse

The overall talent isn't there. I see 5-11, maybe 6-10 with 2-4 in the division. Goodbye all the coaching staff and both QB's . Let's start anew for the umpteenth time under Snyder. If he isn't the worst owner in the NFL, one doesn't exist.

Posted by: pjente | September 6, 2009 6:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: pjente | September 6, 2009 6:16 AM

pjente = Don Banks, Peter King

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Why not sign Tony Pashos? Starting right tackle for Jags and Ravens the past 5 years or so, only got cut because he makes over $4 million and the Jags drafted tackles Monroe and Britton. I'd be willing to bet he's better than big Mike right now, as much as I'm rooting for big Mike to somehow get better, stay healthy and stay in shape.

Posted by: kcc1 | September 6, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Why not sign Tony Pashos?

Posted by: kcc1 | September 6, 2009 7:44 AM |

We can only sign him if he'll play for the vet. min. We're up against the salary cap and can't afford the $4 million that the Jags wouldn't pay him.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Reid,

Take this to Maese and all other reporters who cover the Redskins and the Post Sports Editor. Can you guys spare us and not
quote Cerrato verbatim like you did in this morning's paper? It is painful to read word for word what Cerrato says because he is the most unintelligible sports management figure ever. I mean ever. When I read Cerrato (or listen to him) it is like I am sitting in the dentist's chair pulling a tooth without novocain. Please spare me. Help!!

Posted by: getitritegov | September 6, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 6, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Would you please stop using beatnik slang in your posts. Yes, this is just a blog, but act professional for pete's sake. Calling everyone a "cat" just sounds juvenile and unprofessional.

Posted by: mafafu | September 6, 2009 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Calling everyone a "cat" just sounds juvenile and unprofessional.

Posted by: mafafu | September 6, 2009 7:58 AM

But calling yourself mafafu sounds adult and professional?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

T_E- thanks for starting off the morning with some humor. that was pretty funny for early in the am

Posted by: stivic | September 6, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

@talent Thanks for attacking me and not addressing the point.

Posted by: mafafu | September 6, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Been laughing over t_e's comments in the last ten minutes and realized it's been an a slow morning indeed!

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 6, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Calling everyone a "cat" just sounds juvenile and unprofessional.

Posted by: mafafu | September 6, 2009 7:58 AM

But calling yourself mafafu sounds adult and professional?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Talent Whatever, why is mafafu unprofessional? If you don't know what it is, don't criticize it. Idiot, it is Samoan for "I'll kick your butt with 12 Primo beers in me"

Posted by: getitritegov | September 6, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

I don't think the Redskins final roster is set. I look for them to bring in another offensive tackle and they will probably cut or move one of the existing offensive linemen. Tony Pashos was let go by the Jags. Maybe he is a possibility. Bridges did not play as well as advertised and I think it came down to him not being worth the money. Everyone remember that this guy had some off the field issues, which combined with his lackluster play, probably made the cut easier to make.

I am delighted the team decided to keep Mason. Late in the season last year the injuries accumulated and the Redskins were left so desperate that they brought in Sean Alexander as a backup. Having Mason around is insurance.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 6, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

We finally have some offensive weapons...last year our starting WR's were James Thrash, ARE, and Santana Moss...scares no one

Now, we've got Kelly, Moss and Thomas. WE can go 4 wides with Mitchell. Even if you double Moss, Kelly can beat you by moving the chains.

Posted by: rickyroge | September 6, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mafafu

Yo, chill bro. There's nothing "professional" about RI blogging. Beat lingo is encouraged, if not required. Can you dig it?

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 6, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

@Ken - Now THAT was funny. Sorry guys, it just chaps my tailbone to read "cat" and "dude" in these posts. I will go back to lurking and just shuddering at the slang instead of complaining.

Posted by: mafafu | September 6, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

"Fans must not watch the game close cause there were alot of if's and but's and why's.Redskins will go 8-7,and I believe this is Zorn last season"

What? We're only going to play 15 games this year?

Posted by: isnadd | September 6, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

I think TE hit on something that is a serious driving force behind the decision to cut Jeremy Bridges and keep the likes of Mike Williams and D'Anthony Batiste.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Bridges was scheduled to make almost $2mill this year.

I believe we cut him because of $$.

Mike Williams is a bottom-of-the-barrel reclamation project and we throw him a minimum salary and he'd be grateful for it.

I the same goes for D'Anthony Batiste.

What you are seeing is not a "focus" on our Oline.

What you are seeing is the result of ignorant and shoddy planning, lack of investment and cheap-skating.

Posted by: p1funk | September 6, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | September 6, 2009 8:40 AM

He might even be willing to "donate" a quarter of his salary to Vinny's favorite charity. Say, "The Cerrato Family Wassail Fund."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mafafu | September 6, 2009 8:34 AM

...and being a d-bag that doesn't add anything to the conversation and just b!tches and moans.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 6, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

p1funk,

Part of "getting younger" means that you are paying lower salaries. This is not a lack of planning and it isn't cheap-skating. (This is the first time I've ever seen this word used in reference to the Redskins).

In the case of Bridges, the guy just didn't play that well and Rinehart beat him out at guard. In the case of Williams, I'm taking it on faith that Joe Bugel knows what he's doing.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 6, 2009 8:45 AM

In other words, our type of guy.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

After months of jibba jabba about all things Skins, finally it comes down to the 53 member roster. I think in the end we will all look back and wonder why we wasted all our time and energy for another mediocre season. I don't see much better than 9-7. Hope I'm wrong of course. Just trying to be realistic. HTTR!

Also, was so hoping Navy would upset the Buckeyes, and the VT Alabama game was great. Terps look bad as do the Cavaliers. Maybe a name change is in order at Virginia??

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 6, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hokuhema

Basic requirement to post: know how many games are on an NFL regular season schedule. But, perhaps you are going out on a limb and know about some sort of mechanical problem with the team plane.

Quick hits:

Scouts Inc ratings are garbage and so are periculum's opinions. Stick with Dungeons & Dragons.

When did Jeremy Bridges develop a fan club? If the dude was beaten out by the young Terp, he wasn't going to contribute anyway.

Marcus Mason proved himself to be a viable short yardage and goal line option. Ladell Betts has a long history of goal line disasters. Mike Sellers, God love him, is just too big to squeeze through a hole on short yardage. He needs to stick with making holes.

Carlos Rogers is gonna miss some PT, and the D is gonna miss him.

If Devin Thomas can't break the starting lineup, he should return kickoffs and be useful.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 6, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 6, 2009 8:45 AM

Thanks! I will cherish that advice always. Let me add that I would prefer Mason be on the team in case of injury than a retread like Shaun Alexander.

Posted by: mafafu | September 6, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

In other words, our type of guy.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 8:51 AM

Exactly! Isn't that the definition of a Redskins fan in the Snyder era?

Posted by: mafafu | September 6, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 6, 2009 8:45 AM

In other words, our type of guy.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 8:51 AM

Exactly! Isn't that the definition of a Redskins fan in the Snyder era?

Posted by: mafafu | September 6, 2009 8:54 AM

Spot on and true. I too am glad Mason made it and say no to retread running backs.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 6, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

So how long do we have to wait for players nto clear waivers so they can be put on the practice squad?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 6, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Why not sign Tony Pashos?

Posted by: kcc1 | September 6, 2009 7:44 AM |

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 7:48 AM

I think after the week one games, Pashos will be getting calls from several teams.

Posted by: TWISI | September 6, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

TE You have been mad funny lately. I am going to pull my usual schtick and give myself props for helping you step up your game by dogging you so much lately. Like Bugel and Dockery.

Oh and complaining about the use of slang vernacular on RI is straight Tart. I mean really? Maybe stop reading and crack open some Emily Dickinson if it chaps ur azz that much.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 6, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

p1funk,

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

We've invested none of our high draft picks and none of our big contracts in any linemen under the age of 30.

We reached for Rhinehart last draft.

Everyone else is a project, a UFA, a castoff from someone else's team.

We've cheap-skated our Oline.

I want to be wrong and I so very mch want to eat my words; but last season's biggest most glaring weakest link was our Oline. It is not better (personnel-wise) and it is not deeper. It's going to be our undoing this season.

Anyway you cut it keeping Mike Williams is a freakin joke and inexcuseable - a page out of the Jim Bowden Guide to GMing:

"Hey look at me! I can take someone else's garbage and turn him into a gem and do it for pennies!"

Posted by: p1funk | September 6, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I believe it's possible to recreate last year's 6-2 start. A big reason for the 2-6 finish is that Zorn's playcalling got predictable. If he passes on run downs, he puts everybody at an advamtage. If he goes downfield instead of nickel and diming, we'll win. Another big reason for the poor finish is lack of big plays on D. Blache has got to unleash hell on Eli and blitz him all the time. If not, Eli will pick us apart. Same with Romo. Donovan is another story now. I wouldn't blitz him but I would shadow him with Rocky. I like our chances this year only if Zorn and Blache don't go conservative.

Posted by: getitritegov | September 6, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 6, 2009 9:08 AM

Thanks, but I will stick with my Terry Pratchett.
As for Pashos, the Ravens are supposedly looking at him again to back up Gaither and Oher.

Posted by: mafafu | September 6, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Relying on Scouts, Inc. and other statistical gathering firms to gauge a players worth in the NFL can be misleading. Often a players career is skewed by the players around him and the coaching they receive. Many highly rated players have fallen precipitately in the rankings once removed and placed within a new organization. BRANDON LLOYD comes to mind. The REDSKINS buy high priced talent all the time that performs less well in this environment. There's nothing wrong with ratings agencies, but they only tell half the story. There are just so many factors that influence a players career that no one barometer will tell the whole story about him.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 6, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Oh jeeze, the blog police are out this a.m. See you later, gay-ter. I'll bring the salve.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 6, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I think some of the cuts are questionable but I guess thats why Vinny is still on Danny Boys Apron string!!!! As for portis for Bailey That was a good Trade. I still think Riggo can do better than our backups now. Hell look at Blitzburgh They play smashmouth football and run it down your throat but we need a back that can do that. Just like the glory days!!!!

Posted by: bert3 | September 6, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bert3 | September 6, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

...how much more evidence does Danny need that VInnie is the worst GM and evaluator of talent in the entire league? This roster is poor--certainly not indicative of a winning team. CBs, OLine, QB, RB postiions are all sub par from a depth perspective.

...the Skins will put an OLineman on IR tommorrow and pick up a tackle or two. They have to! Same for the CB position. They need to find a way to keep Aldridge in the fold but have bigger problems at OLine and CB, so cant afford to groom him.

Posted by: oddjob1 | September 6, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

At 9:08 a.m., ChRis LaRrY flat out killed me.
FYI, Redskins Park is closed to the media today; we'll be back a little later.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 6, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Here's what happened:

Jason Campbell is still the weak link on a team loaded with talent at other positions. It does not take a Sherlock Holmes to figure out why the Skins Offense does not work.

Here's what I think:

Another 8-8 season and no playoffs.

Posted by: rjclay | September 6, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | September 6, 2009 9:08 AM

Thanks for the -- uh -- girlie-kiss? I couldn't have done it without you. Before I hit "submit" I ask "will this amuse cl or get me another girlie-slap?"

And I always answer with the same question "Who knows what will amuse cl?" [Mrs. cl and their daughter, of course.]

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

How is it "hating" on Mason by pointing out he's not a change of pace back? He's not a scat back. He's a taller Rock Cartwright, or a shorter Ladell Betts, or an unfamous Clinton Portis. He's a great story, but he's not the change up back we needed.

Posted by: mack1 | September 6, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Maybe mafafu picked the wrong terms, but we can all agree that some words don't belong on this blog. Kids do read it, you know:

physically unable to perform

whizbang

erstwhile

Power Rankings

body of work

General Manager Vinny Cerrato

Posted by: farstriker | September 6, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

At 9:08 a.m., ChRis LaRrY flat out killed me.
FYI, Redskins Park is closed to the media today; we'll be back a little later.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 6, 2009 9:38 AM

Ok.. how little is later gonna be?

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 6, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Redskins Park is closed to the media today; we'll be back a little later.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 6, 2009 9:38 AM

That's what they told the Post and Sports Illustrated. They told the Times, Examiner, and other national media, "Come on in! Let us buy you some breakfast. Here's your free Mason jersey."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I just checked out the redskins depth chart on redskins.com. I'm little surprised that Fred Davis is stil the third TE. I was under the impression he was having a good camp. Also they have Mason as the 4th RB

Posted by: TWISI | September 6, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Redskins Park is closed to the media today; we'll be back a little later.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 6, 2009 9:38 AM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 10:02 AM

Mason is definitely not gonna be availabale by the time comes up. LOL

Posted by: RedCherokee | September 6, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Second Thoughts??:

"I find it hard to believe we are going into the season with Mike Williams backing up Heyer (who is injury prone)."

Imagine a world where Stephon Heyer gets injured.

Do you feel comfortable with Mike Williams coming off the bench to replace him?

I can't believe Williams made the final roster. He got used like a drunken fool with a credit card in a strip club against the jags.

A second thought on the roster is the skins have to find some tackle depth.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 6, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Calling everyone a "cat" just sounds juvenile and unprofessional.

Posted by: mafafu | September 6, 2009 7:58 AM

But calling yourself mafafu sounds adult and professional?

Posted by: talent_evaluator

"Go cat go"--Carl Perkins, R&R HOF

'nuf said.

Posted by: TheCork | September 6, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

TO ALL MARCUS MASON FANS: How come Mason never got a whiff of play with the Ravens or any other NFL team when some teams clearly needed a backup,not hating on the kid just sayin; he clearly lacks the speed this teams needs(change of pace back) to help the offense, on another subject i am scared to death that this O-line is going to get Jason Campbell killed and the Giants are just the team to do it and finally our secondary didn't look too good this preseason and will Haynesworth be worth the money.

Posted by: dargregmag | September 6, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

Just watched tape of Jags game. Agree on many plays he was abused. But on quite a few, he was not. The issues, I think (and so apparently do Buges and Zorn) isn't talent availability, but rust and consistency.

I'd bet Bridges issue was limited upside and past character troubles, and agree OT is very very very thin right now. and unless MacIntosh or Pashos will play cheap--it's pray for health and wait til next year, when they ignore the OL again and draft more defensive studs.

Right now it looks like OL will again be worn down by the time the tough second half of the season arrives.

Posted by: TheCork | September 6, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

+++TO ALL MARCUS MASON FANS: How come Mason never got a whiff of play with the Ravens...+++

Rutgers relentless runner rookie Ray Rice

Posted by: TheCork | September 6, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Redskins Park is closed to the media today; we'll be back a little later.

Posted by: CindyBoren | September 6, 2009 9:38 AM

Posted by: talent_evaluator |

"And after a sumptuous breakfast, please join us for lattes as we dedicate our new Dick Cheney Torture Center and watch Mr. Potter Waterboard Season Ticket Holders."

(Hey! It's a JOKE!)

Posted by: TheCork | September 6, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

J Reid you are a Marcus Mason Hater!!!!!!!

Posted by: jiza32 | September 6, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Breaking News:

Patriots trade Richard Seymour to the Raiders for a 1st round pick.

Wow...just wow. This is why the Pats are one of the best organizations and Raiders annually suck.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 6, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Oddjob1, nice post, but Vinny is not the worst GM in the league, Snyder is.

Does anybody doubt Snyder is calling the shots?

I still love the photo of him wearing the oversized hat next to Marty. It was hilarious.Reminds me of Rick Moranis in Spaceballs with the oversized German helmet. "I am surrounded by a bunch of A holes", but Mr.Snyder, as the lyric goes
" Look in the mirror boy."

Posted by: pjente | September 6, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

wow if I was Seymour I would be PISSED!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 6, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

If Snyder isn't the worst owner in the NFL, one doesn't exist.

Posted by: pjente | September 6, 2009 6:16 AM

Patriots trade Richard Seymour to the Raiders for a 1st round pick.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 6, 2009 10:54 AM

Well, you forgot about Al Davis.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

True, CL! But you gotta give the Pats credit on this: they probably get a top 10 pick for a guy that probably would have left as a FA at the end of this season. Plus getting a 1st rounder for a 30 year-old lineman is friggin' incredible. If this ain't further proof that the demented version of Al Davis is a far worse owner than Snyder, I don't know what is...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 6, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I like the analysis by Mr. Red - I think he's right on the money about our RB and OL positions. As far as this season goes...here we go again - another year just like the last year, and the year before that and so on and so on. Why didn't we didn't go out and get a RB that has the size and strength to get in the end zone when its 4th and goal from the 1/2 inch line. Hey Cerrato - we play in the NFC EAST - not the AFC West. Ladell Betts? give me a break - and Clinton Portis - we don't have a single RB larger than 6 feet, and over 240 lbs. - andonly one legimate FB to try this or lead block. All our TE's end up playing a second fallback OL because our OL is really too old, other teams cast-off or flat out no good (And that ain't Bugel's fault - look at the draft or in the 'Skins case - the daft). I have to tell you, I've been a 'Skins fan all my life but it's getting harder and harder with each passing year of Snyder/Cerrato mismanagement to really stick with this bunch. It seems the best we can expect from Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber is mediocracy. I sure miss Jack Kent Cooke. Do You think Mr. Cook would've sued that grandma?

Posted by: whelms | September 6, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

What I see is an organization using its longest tenured asset to buy the future. Imagine that REDSKINS fans, imagine that and weep for the fan-base.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 6, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

where are you getting info that the pats have traded seymour, can you link that?

Posted by: bryaningrocery | September 6, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

RICHARD SEYMOUR to the 49ers for a #1 pick. Sorry I left that off in the previous post.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 6, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Brownie, brilliant move by Pats, no doubt...just saying Seymour must be livid to go from SB contender to a madhouse.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 6, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Lets be honest:
The redskins do a average job at evaluating talent. Decisions are made by the team that are not good football decisions but business decisions. So is the way of the losers.

As for the dissin of Portis...STOP IT! He will be the redskins all time rusher and your saying he sucks!!! Have you ever played football higher than the pee wee level periculum or all the portis haters?? If you have you would recognize the talent, the man is an above average runner, the best blocking back (passprotection), and has carried this sorry a@@ team for a long time on offense (ask Joe Gibbs). That being said I would trade him soon because he only has 3 years at most left. But trusting our front office to make a blockbuster deal, yeah right we will not get anything back.

Mike williams, marcus mason, byron westbrook...All three are signs of our terrible front office. What teams would keep these players on their 53?? WE ARE A JOKE!! Stop telling me the improvements they have made on the practice squad. Or my coach saying he didnt look good against the ones( Mike Williams) but he was battling against the two's. If they can not be your starters soemwhere on the field CUT THEM!!

Oh and sorry RANDLE EL should be the 5th wr, Betts Sucks(always did), rock cartwright should have been cut..

FOOTBALL gods PLEASE HELP US!!!

Posted by: seanjo93 | September 6, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

chrislarry

where did the see the seymour trade info? can't find it and would love to read about it.

Posted by: bryaningrocery | September 6, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bryaningrocery | September 6, 2009 11:23 AM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Redskins park is closed to the media today??? What sinister undertakings are afoot? Is Dan Snyder conducting his fantasy football draft today?

On another note, did anybody witness ARE's drop of the touchdown catch in Thursday's game? This is just what I have been saying about the guy. He can't make the big play. It's like he's allergic to them. As long as the Dan is playing fantasy football today, why not trade ARE for an offensive lineman?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 6, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | September 6, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 6, 2009 11:26 AM

Salary cap. It doesn't exist in FF, but does in NFL.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 6, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Why all the hate on the Back Up Oline??

Wow...Just Wow...

Like we can evaluate Reserve Olineman in preseason games alone. Buges is with these guys everyday and he is making the best decisions for the organization long term.

Bridges fitted under the cap already. Look up rule of 51 (or 53).

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 6, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Salary cap. It doesn't exist in FF, but does in NFL..

He did say trade not cut!! But to your point ARE cap number is too high.

After this year, I would let him go, we have young, tall, fast, and athletic WR's right now and I think we need to give them playing time to blossom.

Wouldnt it look nice with Marko and Kelly outside, Santana at the slot or always in motion and Devin as your fourth. WOW SATANA in the SLOT....

Now if our old crippled line doesnt fall to pieces after the 7th week, we may have a chance...

WE MISS YOU 21!!!

Posted by: seanjo93 | September 6, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead:

Busy day today. Scourer the waiver wire for additions to the 53 man roster and put together an 8 man Practice sqaud that will consist of:

Dutch
Daniel
Glenn
Dixon
Young
Holmes
Agnone
One from another team

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 6, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Buges or the Front Office had Jon Jansen starting last year!!!!

NUFF SAID

Posted by: seanjo93 | September 6, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I think that the addition of Marcus Mason will provide a major spark on third downs. (Betts) is one of the most fragile and easy to take down running backs in the league. (If you simply touch him on the shoulder pads then he automatically goes down).. And I think Clinton Portis will shut up all of his doubters this year.. You have to realize that (Portis) is going to be in the Hall Of Fame and in my opinion, still has many more years left in the tank. But I do admit that he must become a leader of this team and stop acting like an individual. Even though I've always hated the Dallas Cowboys, you can't help but respect how Emmit Smith would carry his team with just his fire and leadership alone. (Even after his skills were faltering).. Just imagine how the Redskins offensive unit would be if our best offensive player developed that type of a motor!

Posted by: hightek82 | September 6, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

OL Shawn Mahan was offered a contract by Oakland and is turning it down. who would want to play there? Skins could use this expereinced C/G.

Posted by: elderdave1 | September 6, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Rutgers relentless runner rookie Ray Rice

Posted by: TheCork | September 6, 2009 10:38 AM

The Cork, you are a pure idiot... Period.... Marcus was on the practice squad with the Raven around this time last year. During the season, there is no more competition for positions and the Ravens had their three tailback rotation set and they took Marcus for security if Willis got injured. The Raven wanted to keep him but the Jets took him off their PS because they lost Chapman for the year and they to had a two man rotation that worked well for them. RB's can't compete for jobs in the regular season because practice is thud at best on the contact so you must wait for injury to get that opportunity. So think to yourself.. If Marcus was that bad would the Raven and Jets picked him up for insurance? Remember, he did not have preseason and camp to compete on a daily for a RB spot on both teams..... The Redskins and the Chargers both claimed him off waivers in April and the Skins won out because they had the worst record. So he did not clear waivers and he would have been picked up again if the skins cut him this time around. The kid can run the ball and he will provide good depth behind CP and Betts.

Posted by: thebanker21 | September 6, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Our front office has done a fine job in my opinion... My man Vinny has plucked out two diamonds out of the 7th round for two consecutive years. (Horton and Mitchell)..

Also, I honestly think that the addition (Hall) will turn out great for this football team as well. And even though our offensive line is thin, if we can just maintain and stay away from major injuries then this can be a pretty good unit.

I always look at the New England Patriots and how they are able to plug in player after player, at every position and just keep on winning football games! Because when it's all said and done, it's about coaches preparing the subs and the scheme that can overcome the lack of depth that we have... Do you not agree?

Posted by: hightek82 | September 6, 2009 12:18 PM | Report abuse

We need a solid back-up T not another c/g, sorry.

Posted by: glawrence007 | September 6, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

And I need a Lexus GS 300 and I would love for it to be delivered to my house gift rapped with an exotic dancer in the passenger seat! But you know what.. That probably won't happen because I don't have the "money" to pay for all of that!!

Same goes for the Redskins... Ofcourse we need another Tackle, but lets be real with each other people. How many available "Quality" tackles are there left? NONE! So lets stick with what we have, coach them up and get them better.

NFL Linemen aren't like laptops you know... You can't just purchase the best one, take it home, plug it in and it works!

Posted by: hightek82 | September 6, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I read the Seymour trade is for a number 1 in 2011. Suppose the Raiders improve over the next two years to the point where the pick is say 18 or 19. And they get two years from Seymour before the pick. Perhaps it's not such a bad deal for the Raiders, although at first glance it would appear to be.

Posted by: pjente | September 6, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

periculum, you can't just make up some phony list and expect people to agree with you. Your knowledge of the game needs some work. Tomlinson over Peterson? I don't believe you meant to type that. Barber, LJ and Ronnie Brown over Portis? Barber gets 15 carries a game on average and thus not a true running back. Brown is a Wildcat QB. LJ is statistically light years away from Portis.

And as far as Demarcus Ware being a higher impact player than Peyton Manning, Ed Reed, Haynesworth, Brees, Peterson or Larry Fitzgerald, YOU are the smoker of dried leaves.

Posted by: wewbank1 | September 6, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Arguing with perineum is like arguing with a child. Give it up, it's pointless.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | September 6, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS

My sources tell me Marcus Mason has made the Redskins 53 man roster. The team has not informed Mason yet but will do so by tomorrow's roster deadline.

Stay tuned for more breaking news from the Barno.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

First to break the story, yet again.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 6, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

BREAKING NEWS

Stay tuned for more breaking news from the Barno.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 4, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

First to break the story, yet again.

Posted by: Barno1 | September 6, 2009 1:57 PM
_______________________________________________

Barno1 you should have Jason Reid's job with WAPO.... Because Jason is the last to know any football related news...

Posted by: thebanker21 | September 6, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

QB - JC, TC (2)
RB - CP, LB, MM (3)
WR - SM, MK, ARE, DT, MM (5)
TE - CC, FD, TY (3)
FB - MS (1)
OL - CS, DD, CR, RT, SH
DB, EW, WM, CR, MW (10)
ST - SS, HS, EA, RC (4)
DL - AC, CG, AH, PD, JJ, AM, KG, RW, LA (9)
LB - LF, RM, BO, HBB, RH, CW (6)
CB - CR, DH, FS, JT, KB, BW (6)
S - LL, CH, KM, RD (4)

Vinny said 25 offense, 25 defense, 3 specialists
24 25 4

they are clearly not confident in giving Cartwright carries even in the case of Betts injury last year, he got a few, but Portis carried the almost all of the burden. So, I count him as a specialist.

brennan on IR makes Mason's life