One Practice Down, So Many More to Go

Just wanted to give a little update after the first practice on the first day of camp. The Skins shook off the rust while doing position drills and their first 11-on-11 work in preparation for the upcoming preseason and regular season.

"Just getting started," wide receiver Santana Moss said. "I really can't say too much about how we looked 'cause it was the first practice. But you could see guys were focused and working hard to get ready again. That's all you can ask for after your first one."

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth didn't have a good first session. "I just didn't play up to my standards," said Haynesworth, whom the Skins lured from the Tennessee Titans with a record contract in the offseason. "I'm just getting used to how our offense plays, what the line blocks it, so I'll just try to be better" during the afternoon session.

Overall, Coach Jim Zorn was pleased. "It was better than our first practice last training camp," he said. "That's progress, and you like progress."

By Jason Reid  |  July 30, 2009; 1:52 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: This Time, Daniels Gets Past That First Play
Next: Orakpo, Redskins Negotiations Continue

Comments

Not gonna say it.

Posted by: freakzilla | July 30, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tomb4 | July 30, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I dont think Barnes is that big of a hitter.

He had that one hit where he made the guy puke, but 6 foot 185 CB isnt really gonna lay the wood, nor should he try. Freddy Smoot can show him how to throw a shoulder into the thigh of a RB....

But I agree, Foxworth, Madeiu Williams now barnes... good UMD DB's coming out in the 2nd or 3rd making a good carrer...

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Frankly, I am tickled burgundy that we finally made it through the LONGEST part of the year. A little practice here, some preseason there and them BAM!!! the giants head being stomped by the Ghost of S Dot!!!

YAAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYA!!!!!!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | July 30, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

No updates on the tallness of Anthony Mixx

Posted by: trezmartin | July 30, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Ryan O'Hallaren sounds like he does not realize that he's watching the first day of practice

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 30, 2009 2:00 PM |

He said that Rabach was a world class holder too. Says its an artform. The team is real high on him, he's the glue for the o-line (that doesn't say much to me.) Says Heyer really needs to assert himself this year. He also said that Samuels told him to look out for Devin Clark. "That kid can play."

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Zeebs - Hard hitting dude from the Colts is 5'8" and he won the Def POY a couple of years back. He launches like a missile...

Sanders I think his name is.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 30, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I like Albert's attitude.......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 30, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I dont think Barnes is that big of a hitter.

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

One of the reasons he wasnt a higher draft pick is because he was recovering from Shoulder injury his final year from a nasty hit. Like it or not the guy is a big hitter. while he might be small thats the only way hes gonna earn a paycheck in this league, dont let smoot show him anything that guy hates layin the wood Barnes has a different mentality, one better suited for this D.

Posted by: Stu27 | July 30, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Re: Haynesworth's remarks, not sure whether this is a moment for "Hurray for the new O-line! There's hope!" ... or whether this is a moment for "Uh oh, how much did the Skins pay Albert?"

Posted by: dcsween | July 30, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth is disappointed with his performance? I hope he keeps in mind that despite what the media circus has been saying, he cannot take the whole team on his shoulders. The guy has a lot of pressure on him to succeed - he doesn't need to be adding any pressure.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 30, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Clark is tiny. He lays people out consistently.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | July 30, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Mayor gives us an update on Kelly and Thomas

Posted by: jm220 | July 30, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Stu, Barnes didn't just have a shoulder "injury" ... he broke a bone ... actually two ... one in his shoulder and one in the receiver's shoulder.

Posted by: dcsween | July 30, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

No updates on the tallness of Anthony Mixx

Posted by: trezmartin | July 30, 2009 2:11 PM |

Former New York Giants receiver Anthony Mix indicted on sex charge
by The Associated Press
Wednesday May 06, 2009, 12:35 PM

BAY MINETTE, Ala. -- A Baldwin County grand jury has indicted Tampa Bay receiver Anthony Mix on a misdemeanor sex charge.

Bay Minette police Sgt. Lester Banfield said Tuesday the former Auburn player is charged with a misdemeanor count of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

The indictment alleges that Mix had sex with a 15-year-old girl in January in his hometown of Bay Minette.

Banfield said because the charge is a misdemeanor, investigators will likely have to wait until Mix turns himself in or pick him up when he is in town.

It's unclear if Mix has retained an attorney. He played for Auburn from 2002-2006 and has seen limited action with the Washington Redskins and New York Giants

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

RE: Haynesworth's remark's... hopefully that is attributed to this being the first practice.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

from the last post -- not sure why Philip Daniels would wear a knee brace after tearing his achilles. I mean, they are different parts of the leg.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 30, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 30, 2009 2:21 PM

ACL not achilles

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

HA!

4th, would you believe that I was stuck in the same mess last Friday.

64 was really a pain in da azz! I was headed to VA Beach and caught up in that mess for about 2 and half hours. It seems that once we went through the tunnel we were god though.

And I really can't speak on the drivers in the V, I learned to drive overseas, and they're really good drivers over there.

On another note: F Anthony P. Mix

Posted by: RedDMV | July 30, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

JM220 - Kelly didn't get hurt and beat DHall for a TD.

Good and GReat. I got this feeling about Kelly that he will be something very very special for years to come......

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 30, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Ryan Clark is tiny. He lays people out consistently.

Posted by: ToddStinkston

Uh, Hells yes!

Just ask the boy Wes Welker.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 30, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

(INSERT Allen Iverson headshot and incredulous voice.)

Practice?

All day long we been talkin' 'bout nothing practice.

It ain't nothing but practice, y'all.

But you know what?: it sounds so good.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 30, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | July 30, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Yup, saw the hit. The way he hit the guy you can tell hes a hitter, he came at the guy kinda sideways like nailed the dude top half of his body they both spun and stayed down.
I will never dis on a player for playing with a reckless disregard for their own saftey!

Posted by: Stu27 | July 30, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

There go Moe... pissin' in the kool-aid again.

lol...

Posted by: RedDMV | July 30, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

How do you like them apples.

Posted by: alex35332 | July 30, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

4th & Red [that sounds like a new down and distance], did you guys drive down 95 on a Friday afternoon? In the summer? jm should pull out the hammer on you for that.

Posted by: 4-12 | July 30, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The Mayors taking over, got his picture up and name. How long will he last here? I give him 4 years then off to bigger things. I like the nickname and so far so good.

Posted by: tjzukoski | July 30, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

4th, I'm same paging with you on Kelly ... assuming the knee holds out. He has a solid college portfolio, unlike the WR drafted before him, who only went to (an admittedly solid) college for one season.

I foregave all of Kelly's bellyaching about his college pro day (remember that? the thing about not being told about the running surface?) when it became clear that he needed to sandbag to hide his flared up knee injury.

Kelly seems more like the large, fast antelope (in the mold of T.O. or Plaxico) than the other second round WR (who went to an outstandingly solid Big Ten school, but only for his junior year).

Posted by: dcsween | July 30, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Ok, listening to a radio call in about Vick.

"If the redskins took Mike Vick it would just taint the team in their beliefs on Animal ummm Humanity"

Posted by: alex35332 | July 30, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@Adam_Schefter:

Clinton Portis - aka SE Jerome - met former Georgetown bball coach and current sportstalk yapper John Thompson for 1st time today. Portis will have an outlet if he's ever frustrated

Posted by: chrislarry | July 30, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 2:14 PM |

Correction, he was talking about Jeremy Bridges.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Bob Sanders is 5'8 and 206 but built like a brick. I am 6 foot, 2 plus and I know i aint hitting anyone...

Barnes was never considered a 'hitting' cb

Ryan Clark is 5'11 205.

Barnes is a CB. not a safety like all the guys mentioned.

But if he wants to hit people fine... just as long as they are not catching passes b/c we need a 3rd CB, not another safety

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

And Stu;

Smoot separated his shoulder tackling a RB. And still played. Dont know why you are hatin on his tackling.

He isnt Deion Sanders ;)

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

He isnt Deion Sanders ;)

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 2:45 PM

Ah Deion, the inventer of the back tackle.

Theismann says watching Haynesworth is amazing.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

4-12, and I left the house around 1:30 PM... traffic was at a stand still when I hit Dumfries.

At that moment I knew I was in for a long afternoon.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 30, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

He should go play in another league ASAP to show he can still play then look for FA next year.

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 9:22 AM |

He could play in the NFL this year. The way the UFL was set up, it has a very short season that ends midway through the NFL season so that it can serve as a farm feeder to NFL teams that have player injury or performance problems and need in season replacements.

Posted by: TubularBells | July 30, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Man, Campbell'75 bringin it all day long! Thanks for all the peripheral news!!

You need special mention on the Wiki (remember that thing??!!)!

And to keep up my linking of things approxpo (how the SJK do you spell that?) of NOTHING:

Here's the Blowfly Album of our show in Australia!! LIVE at the Platypussery

I'm even in characature on the cover!@! That's me w/ no chick grindin' me... 'cause Mrs. Shuttle knows how to shank.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 30, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

True tubular, the question is when does his suspension start? Or if he doesnt get a contract til after week six, is he free and clear to play?

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks 4th. You are the man and just for old times. F Chris Larry

Posted by: jm220 | July 30, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm home sick this week, it sux but the benefit is I get to be around for the start of camp.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

OH NO!! WE SUCK AGAIN!!

Posted by: peterandmeredith | July 30, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Yea Dik, I remember that thing. I think I still have the last 2 posts on it from around the time of the draft. I was trying to keep it alive but had very few takers.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

lmao @ Pete

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 30, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs

So Barnes plays defense and you DO NOT want him to hit receivers?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Posted by: RedDMV | July 30, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

From Portis: "You're not going to be in the club, someone sees you around when you've got camp the next morning. You go home, you eat, you go to sleep and you be here on time."

It's a good start to preseason for his mouth. Let's hope it goes the same for his other body parts.

Posted by: TubularBells | July 30, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

2nd practice now starting, closed to public.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

beep beep from US-1

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 30, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Giving fellow RI bloggers shout outs and props: Priceless

Cheap attempts at promotion: Lame and suck ass d-baggery

Posted by: RedDMV | July 30, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

From Elfin:

* DeAngelo Hall looked like the Pro Bowl cornerback he is, strutting to the end zone with an interception of Jason Campbell.

* But Hall didn't look nearly as good being beaten on a long touchdown catch by Kelly.

==============================================

Kelly and DHall will be beasts this year...

Posted by: 4thFloor |

Don't want to say you're being a little pramature (that's what SHE said) but honestly 4th...

If you were alive on december 8th, 1941, You' probably say "I'll bet Japan kicks America's AZZ in this war..."

Posted by: TheCork | July 30, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Thrash is apparently at practice this afternoon.

Posted by: Buckleycj | July 30, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

RedskinsDotComJames Thrash just walked out to the practice field with the team. He was wearing casual Redskins gear. Coaching intern, perhaps?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Red, you still tryin'?

Blowfly is the shti. Your contributions I'm sure are limited to this crap. oh & I don't get a dime from ANYTHING they do, muchless the tour itself. 'twas good to travel, tho.

You actually have a problem with thanking someone for helping you? Oh, forgot - you're beyond help.

Dang - I can stir you up w/o even trying. Thanks for your version of the 'shout out' tho. Nice to be noticed. Now, put it back in your pants, k?

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 30, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Zeebs, our 3rd CB is our Nickel, the Nickel position is very similar to playing saftey, you will often be mismatched size wise, I dont see why its a bad thing that he IS a hitter. Just wondering how you came to the impression that he was not a contact player, you watch him in Maryland?.
Also wasnt hating on Smoot he is fine, you play for as long as he has and you get seperated shoulders.

Posted by: Stu27 | July 30, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I hope Clinton's mouth is the only thing he runs in practice. He takes a beating all year, and has since he got to Washington. He can never practice and will be just fine. Keep him as fresh as possible so he can go for 125 and 2TDs against the Giants week 1.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 30, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

No Red;

I do want him to hit.

But the original remark was about him joining Landry and Horton in hitting people. He is a 4th corner until he can supplant Smoot, so while hitting people is nice for a corner, his coverage is what we drafted him for.

Here is an excerpt from wiki

In 2007, he was the first on the team in interceptions with four, second in passes broken up with nine, and fifth in tackles with 65, including 47 solo.[2] He recorded the most interceptions by a Maryland player since Domonique Foxworth in 2002. After the 2007 season, the Terrapins lost three starters in the secondary to graduation, and Barnes stepped in to assume a leadership role during his senior year.[6]

As a fifth-year senior in 2008, Barnes played in the first seven games before suffering a shoulder injury. He recorded two interceptions returned for 27 yards, 20 tackles including 15 solo, five passes broken up, seven passes defended, two forced fumbles, and one blocked kick.[7]

In the third game of the season against California, Barnes gained notoriety for the delivery of a hard hit against running back Jahvid Best, an early Heisman Trophy prospect. Late in the second quarter, Cal quarterback Kevin Riley recognized Maryland was in man-to-man coverage. Since he saw there were no safeties in the middle of the field, he threw a short screen pass to Best. Barnes, who had anticipated the play from the snap, immediately delivered a bone-jarring tackle that almost knocked off Best's helmet. While still laying on the field, Best rolled onto his side to vomit. Footage of the hit and its aftermath circulated widely on the internet and became a viral video phenomenon that received 50,000 views on YouTube within a week.[8] After the game, Best said, "That's probably the hardest hit I've ever taken in my life ... It really knocked the wind out of me, and I had a little trouble breathing for the rest of the game."[9] When asked if he felt bad about the tackle, Barnes said, "He's not permanently hurt, so I'm fine with that. Had he died or something, I'd have felt bad, but he'll probably be playing next week."[8]

In the seventh game of the season, he used his left shoulder to hit Wake Forest wide receiver D.J. Boldin who was attempting to catch a pass.[10] Barnes suffered a torn glenoid labrum, fractured left scapula, damaged rotator cuff, and broken clavicle.[11] The injury ended his season, and he missed the final six games of his senior year.[12] Barnes later remarked, "It was my last hit ... Even though I got hurt, it caused a guy to fumble

See the rest here for his combine info

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Snyder said that he thought they were close to a deal with Orakpo last night.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

And Stu;

People expect CR22 to step inside on nickel situations like Springs used to.

But I want him to be the greatest, i just think it is early to say he will be laying the wood in the secondary because of two hits in college.

His numbers and combine seem to bear out that he is like cromartie, tall and lean and on the outside against taller WR's

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Anyway, why are we arguing about it, i like everything i hear about him, could be a Vinny special great pick...

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Ah man, the places I could go with this:

"Now, put it back in your pants, k?"

Posted by: DikShuttle

BUT, I'm going to be the bigger man (although, i'd love to air your lame ass out one more time) and just leave it be.

You must obviously still have Red on the brain. I have that effect on people.

Just ask around, Dik.

Dude, no one, well at least not me, is stuttin' your dumb ass post. Take your self-absorbed ass elsewhere with that nonsense, Dik.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 30, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

dont think Barnes is that big of a hitter.

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing you don't watch a lot of Maryland Football. Barns is probably the best tackling corner they have had there in quite a while. And Williams is a Safety

Posted by: virtueandvice | July 30, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

i didnt say williams wasnt. I used DB, which refers to both.

anyway, we drafted him for his speed and leaping and agility per wiki.

Done

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stu27 | July 30, 2009 2:30 PM

I'm reminded about the story about Landry playing HS basketball and diving to keep the ball in bounds ... as he was flying out of bounds and through a glass door.

Posted by: dcsween | July 30, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

And no I havent watched a lot of UMD since I left the area.

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Moss hittin 315 4-5 times is pretty good for someone around 185-190lbs. Hopefully it shows off when DB's try to jam him at the line.

Posted by: ga8085 | July 30, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry your mommy didn't love you, RedD - but that's not my fault.

You came straight at me, fool. I wasn't even talkin' to you.

Again, your obsession w/ my posts is getting weird. The only thing you've aired out is your penchant for my prose. And it's straight up creepy.

Feel free to ITA anything I post, but you obviously can't do that.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 30, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

What i really want to see this year is more landry in the box. We need Horton to get a little better at reading the QB and the play so he can play center field.

Horton can not stay with a TE in coverage, from what I remember last year.

It might be time to risk the deep pass for sacks and QB hurries with LL in the box

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Almost daring them to pass with a stacked box and hopefully some over or under thrown balls will lang in Hall and hortons hands, and CR can just watch them hit the turf

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 3:30 PM

Or maybe he can just try to bat them up in the air so someone else can hot potato them.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Horton made some nice plays against the run last year

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 30, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, Zeebs - not that I have a problem w/ Dirty30 comin' at the backfield... but I'm hopin' we have enough of a passrush we can let him deck receivers accross the middle. ST took TO out of a game once with that strategy. Turn Landry loose on the #1 receiver a couple times and see how he does in single coverage the rest of the game.

...I'll take a DurdyThurdy sack or two, tho, too.

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 30, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

True dik, and scamp.... the def have that drill, we have seen them do it.

Horton made some excellent plays against the run, but sometimes he did not judge the RB's speed right, which will happen for a rookie.

I guess it could be worse, our DB's are one of the most solid groups in the league...

Posted by: Zeebs | July 30, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

We can always count on the secondary not mucking it up.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 30, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"Crazy azz Theismann says the only other qb in the league that throws as tight a spiral and as accurately as JC is Brady.
Posted by: scampbell1975"

Not disputing the remark about Theisman but JC is a very accurate short and medium range passer. That's why the WCO is a good fit.

Posted by: Samson151 | July 30, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeh, I'd read that Cooley blog post and wondered what it was all about.

... not the funniest of vids, but at least they're taking shots at the right people!!

As previously stated, I'll take a 2 win, but beating Dallas season over a 1 playoff game appearance and loosing ANYTHING to dallas - every time!

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 30, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Ive always agreed on Landry needing to be closer to the line in the box. It would be best suited for his ability but lately ive backed off that stance. We dont yet have anyone that can play the centerfield style FS that we employ besides Landry. My reasoning for that was due to the performance of Horton last year. Some people remember him for his INT's. I remember him for the tackles for losses and the amount of time he was getting behind the LOS. Some of those tackle for losses were against some of the premier power backs in the league, S Jackson, F Gore, J Lewis.

Posted by: Stu27 | July 30, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | July 30, 2009 3:41 PM
I'm not disputing that Campbell is accurate but to say the only one in the league that compares is Brady is going a little far I think. Then again, I'm not now, nor have I ever been, a pro QB.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

from twatter:

@RickMaese: Spotted: defensive player relieving himself against some trees between drills... Less than 10 ft from a portapotty...

Posted by: chrislarry | July 30, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Horton did more damage in the box than Landry did in his rookie year. More big plays, tougher against the run, created more turnovers, and had better natural instincts. They're both much better suited to be playing in the positions they're currently occupying. If you're looking to tweak the defense, the secondary is the last place to start.

Posted by: psps23 | July 30, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

cL - whoever it was, he is now "Nature Boy"!! hahahahahah!

...or just gross... ...maps... [ :-|

Posted by: DikShuttle | July 30, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Horton much better against the run. Does anyone remember the playoff loss to Sea. in 07. I believe Landry picked off Hasselbeck twice, let him play centerfield, keep Horton at the strong spot.

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 30, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

That said, I wouldn't mind switching it up every once in a while, maybe sending Landry on a blitz once or twice a game, but for the most part, Landry needs to sitting deep. He'll be the major reason DHall turns back into a pro-bowl corner. Reliable help over the top will do wonders for a risk-taking CB like Hall.

Posted by: psps23 | July 30, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

The second practice is closed to the public?

Gee: that's the one I want to see.

The media and football hungry, work avoiding fans get to watch drills and reps all morning, when what's really happening is taking place in the later afternoon.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 30, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Redskins.com:

-- 3:28 p.m. ET
Sitting Out

Four players, including three defensive linemen, are sitting out the afternoon practice, just for rest.

They are: Albert Haynesworth, Phillip Daniels, Cornelius Griffin and Malcolm Kelly. All four were huddled in a tent riding an exercise bike to maintain their conditioning.

So Haynesworth does not get to improve after his "rough" afternoon practice.

Coaches want to rest some veteran defensive lineman as much as possible. No sense wearing them out during training camp.

Kelly is sitting out to ensure that swelling does not occur on his oft-injured left knee.

-- 3:45 p.m. ET
D-Line Drill

Defensive lineman surrounded coach John Palermo as he instructed them on a drill.

Players had to run a circle around Palermo and bat away a baton to his specifications. If they did not maintain their balance and did not bat away the baton correctly, they had to do the drill again.

He was hardest on undrafted rookie Antonio Dixon. "Pay attention," Palermo shouted to Dixon just before he took his stance.

Supplemental Draft pick Jeremy Jarmon drew praise. "That's it!" Palermo said.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 30, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

"...Campbell is accurate, but to say the only one in the league that compares is Brady is going a little far I think..."

Well, yeah it is.

Both Brady and Campbell do hrow nice balls.

The difference?: Brady has time to throw to Moss and Welker while Campbell has little time to rush passes to double covered people like Moss and Cooley.

The Pats made Brady the center of what they do on offense while Campbell plays with a running back in Portis who needs the ball like it's crack and he's hooked.

The big change this year should be Zorn placing the ball in Campbell's hands and relying on him to win.

'Cuz if he can't, he won't be here next year.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 30, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse