Orakpo Continues to Impress Coaches

Rookie defensive end/strong-side linebacker Brian Orakpo continued to impress as a hand-down rusher in last week's 23-0 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

Ravens tackles struggled to slow the speedy Orakpo, holding him often as he displayed a variety of moves. Linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti also was satisfied with Orakpo's performance in pass coverage, through Orakpo did not grade himself highly in that area.

"Definitely could have done some things better, but that's why I'm just working hard," Orakpo said. "Just have to remember my keys and remember not to get fooled out there. I hear K.O. telling me that all the time in my head."

Although Orakpo rarely worked in coverage in college, he is transitioning well to a hybrid role the Redskins expect him to master, Olivadotti said.

"What we've asked him to do, he's done that correct," Olivadotti said. "And once you've done it right once, we expect you to keep doing it. He's doing fine in space. There are some things that we're cleaning up as we go, and he's working on it.

"He understands where I'm coming from and where we're coming from as a staff. I'm pleased with where he's at, but he knows he's got to keep coming."

By Jason Reid  |  August 17, 2009; 4:06 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth Expects to Play Saturday
Next: Let the Hazing Begin

Comments

Snidely is still probably bitter about not getting Sanchez...

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 17, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh thank goodness for Orakpo. Someone we can all agree on... for now.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 17, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

SEJerome = ElDrano = FIREJIMZORN

Dude probably has three browers open and thinks he is a hoot

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 17, 2009 4:13 PM

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 17, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm stoked about Jarmon too. He looked fantastic out there against the scrubs.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | August 17, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happens though, you guys are always welcome to come through b4 the game just hit me up and bring enough for me to drink, or some hotdogs to go on the grill. I got enough drivway to fill 3/4 cars....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 17, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Yep, I will be there. I got the Green pass to park, feel free to stop by. I will be the one in the Tebow or Harvin Jersey, Until I get an Orakpo Jersey. I figure I am paying for the Parking so I might as well use it.

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 17, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | August 17, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh thank goodness for Orakpo. Someone we can all agree on... for now.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 17, 2009 4:11 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

LaVar mad at the org. cuz he claims they didn't do ST21 right while he was alive....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 17, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"Like all other agreements on RI, true to a point or agree to disagree. There are still the diehards who argue that he'll never reach his potential as a DE because of the misguided expirement of playing him at SLB.

Posted by: talent_evaluator"

Posted by: psps23 | August 17, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"are still the diehards who argue that he'll never reach his potential as a DE because of the misguided expirement of playing him at SLB.
Posted by: talent_evaluator "

LOL -- joined by the stubborn coots who think it's a good idea to take a player who's terrific at one thing and make sure he spends his time learning an entirely new position because the team didn't manage to find a replacement for a linebacker position...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 17, 2009 4:22 PM

LaVar is just mad and bitter. How can a guy get so much mileage out of nothing more than hate? He's too young for this. Maybe when he's Cork's age, but not now.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

4th you serious??

File that under "ways I can generate interest in my show, which are entirely untrue".....

Lavar needs to shut his mouth, and go run his restaurant.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 17, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Also, why does everybody hate on the SEJerome name? It's from Clinton Portis 2005. If I changed it to Dolemite Jenkins or Janky Spanky would that be as confusing to the diehard fans?

Posted by: SEJerome | August 17, 2009 4:23 PM

I dig it. I was just checking to make sure you weren't really Clinton Portis in disguise (or, more accurately, disguised Clinton Portis in disguise).

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"Reminds me of the people complaining about Chris Horton because he robs Laron Landry of his 'natural' position at SS.
Posted by: psps23 "

LOL II -- we won't mention the talented Chris' small deficiencies in pass coverage...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Orakpo is going to drop back in coverage often, so I am not as concerned about pass coverage as I am about run coverage. Can he get off blocks quickly? Can he move well laterally to string out those runs to the sideline? Can he deliver the hit in space?

What I want to see is Brandon Jacobs come chugging along in that first game and Orakpo explode into him. Of course, that is, if Haynesworth doesn't clobber Jacobs first. Heck, maybe each of them can get a piece of the guy and make a wish...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Orakpo is gonna be a beast. I hope his legs hold up.

Posted by: edvar | August 17, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

SEJerome = ElDrano = FIREJIMZORN

Dude probably has three browers open and thinks he is a hoot

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 17, 2009 4:13 PM |

You would need three different machines for one person to post under three different userids simul. So guess what pal. There are threeeeeee of us. Three posters. More posters, more fun!

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

SEJerome = ElDrano = FIREJIMZORN

Dude probably has three browers open and thinks he is a hoot

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 17, 2009 4:13 PM

Don't compare me to knuckles heads. Speaking of knuckles I wouldn't mind knocking some sense in your head "JERK".noonefromtampa

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

"You would need three different machines..." well, not really, but you'd have to be really into the psuedonym thing to go to the effort of pulling it off with one machine.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 17, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Listening to LaVar should be called Guantanamo Radio. During drive time, its the only thing on ... and on and on and on ... the guy has nothing to say, and a lot of it.

Also, I agree with SEJerome about Sellers ... except that Sellers doesn't really seem to have pass catching hands.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Just FYI, from FO Almanac: "...pass rushers rarely -- really rarely -- make an impact as a rookie. Think about Mario Williams, Patrick Kerney, Michael Strahan -- elite 4-3 pass rushers off the edge. (If [Orakpo] actually does end up playing strong side linebacker, well, he's even less likely to have an impact; the list of 4-3 linebackers with huge sack totals is extremely slim.)"

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

The guy is an absolute beast, and he'll be our every-down RDE once the salary cap implications allow us to trade or dump the somewhat disappointing Andre Carter and once we find a starting LOLB. Orakpo, however, did seem to get beaten in coverage by Ravens TE Heap in the endzone when the starters for both teams were in, but the pass was off target.

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 17, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Lavar needs to shut his mouth, and go run his restaurant.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 17, 2009 4:26 PM

I was thinking that hating will bring your radio show much quicker. They wasted like 2 hours hating on: Twitter-Ban (which I am for)/Snyder/ESPN980/Redskins/Treatment of ST21 pre-death....

Big WoW moment today....But, LaVar said his daughter still plays with Sean's daughter. But I thought they lived in Florida? Not trying to call LA a liar, but I know everyone has their own angle/agenda when given a microphone......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 17, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I don't remember what Smoot calls Sellers (Caveman? Meast? Man Beast? something like that), but they should call him Dog Sled. When he's in front of Portis on the outside, when Portis grabs Seller's belt, that play is always good for 6-8 yards. Its almost like you can hear Portis yelling "MUSH!"

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have MARTY S. email add ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I'll put on the Negative Nancy wig.

Orakpo seemed to lose some explosiveness as a pass rusher as the second quarter progressed. I think he needs to be rotated to be fresh as a pass rusher and he can't get that rest if he's playing peek a boo with Jason Witten.

I'm not worried about his potential at DE so much as getting a pass-rushing DE who is a little winded from playing lots of run downs.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | August 17, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151

No one wants to talk about that, huh? The reason why they are talking about Moore or Smoot playing free safety is because neither Horton or Doughty are too spiffy in coverage. Don't get me wrong. I think Horton is great at SS - and I am becoming a believer in Doughty - but neither of them could hold a candle to Landry at SS, or FS, or CB, or... You get the picture. Landry is the most gifted athelete on the team and they need to get him up close to the line where the majority of the plays are happening.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

4th, can you elab on what Lavar thinks the redskins didn't do...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 17, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have MARTY S. email add ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Once Haynesworth is in the lineup, O-coordinators are going to lose a lot of sleep figuring out how to get both of those guys blocked in passing situations.

Posted by: rbpalmer | August 17, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Snidely is still probably bitter about not getting Sanchez...

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 17, 2009 4:10 PM |

Don't think he is bitter. Hard to go on one preseason game. A lot of his panting after the dude was an elaborate show for a scam that Cerrato was working. Sanchez's college coach, Pete Carroll, who Snyder chats with from time to time, had reservations about him being ready for the NFL. So far he has proven him wrong but we'll have to wait to see how this story turns out.

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have MARTY S. email add ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 4:39 PM |

eatshtianddie@gmail.com

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------

I would add my generator to the bandwagon, but this is not without precedent. If a guy comes along and he has above average talent, then you do want to see how much he can do.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 17, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

As far as Orakpo, what would be wrong with sliding him in Carter's spot and moving Carter to linebacker? Didn't he play linebacker in San Francisco? And as long as we are getting into moving chess pieces around, let's move Carter to the middle and Fletcher to the strong side. I would like to see us with a bigger middle linebacker, and the outside backer needs more range, which Fletcher has. With Carter in the middle, separate the tackles a little more so that Carter can take on the center and create all kinds of problems with trying to block Haynesworth and Orakpo with a guard, tackle and maybe a tightend.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

"I think Horton is great at SS - and I am becoming a believer in Doughty - but neither of them could hold a candle to Landry at SS, or FS, or CB, or..."

If rookie year statistics (both individually and team-oriented) are any indication, Chris Horton more than holds a candle to Landry at SS. In fact, he surpasses him.

Of course, maybe that was just a magical year for Horton and an underachieving one for Landry, but I wouldn't be so quick to judge on those two as of yet.

Posted by: psps23 | August 17, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I kept an eye on Williams on Thursday and I gotta say I was pretty impressed the guy had a decent night (until he left with a tummy ache)

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth also likes Orakpo (although you get the sense he wanted the kid to shut up and leave him alone at first). Steinbog says:

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I feel all alone on this "BLOG" maybe going back to the DALLAS COWBOYS blog isn't such a bad idea.

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

4th, can you elab on what Lavar thinks the redskins didn't do...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 17, 2009 4:38 PM

HE was saying he was supposed to get a new contract, but wasn't going to get it until the end of the season. He gave 'innuenddos' (sp?) that he should have received a new contract earlier than that. Why? I don't know, but he says he didn't get a good rookie deal and that's why he had to fire his agent. And that Snyder felt guilty (of the death and not giving him a new contract) and decided to pay for the funeral and all the other little stuff because of the guilt. And he also went to further say he used his death, possibly, as a marketing ploy. Possibly, he said to that last part, but he's saying it as he wouldn't put it past Snyder?

I don't know about all that. And I see revisionist history is already trying to be created. I'm outta 5000.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 17, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have MARTY S. email add ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------

The problem with that is that Carter is not actually an earth mover... he's more of the speed rusher type. However, AH will definitely help out Griffin/Golston, which will indirectly help Carter.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 17, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"Snidely is still probably bitter about not getting Sanchez..."

Well, if he is, why would he be?

I mean, the redskins had a good defense without Orakpo, so did it need him or a quarterback with an accurate big arm?

I mean the defense added Haynesworth and Hall, did it also then need a 1st round draft pick when the offense scores like a South American soccer team?

Haynesworth, Hall, and Orakpo are another overkill version of the '08 draft of 3 pass catchers--two were neede, the third was too much.

Sometimes you wonder if the skins could've gotten by with C Wilson performing in Orakpo's shoes.

Before you shout, "Blasphemy!!" and raise your torches and pitchforks, please remember the NFL is a league that rewards scoring and passing: two issues that plague the redskins' offense like flies on doo-doo.

And if the jury has yet to decide if Sanchez is a banga after one preseason game, the said can be said about Orakpo, can't it?

Let the shouts of heresy begin.....

...but I've eaten my plate of crow already: memba that!

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 17, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

"I hate all of them equally," he said. "All the other 31 teams. Any team that ain't the Redskins, I don't like."

From big al.....nice

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 17, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------

Scratch that. I kinda misread your 'middle' definition.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 17, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

... Sanchez's college coach, Pete Carroll, who Snyder chats with from time to time, had reservations about him being ready for the NFL. ...

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 4:40 PM

I remember that too. When your own coach doesn't pimp on your behalf (I think Carroll had a hard time with his maturity?), just seems odd. Of all the QBs to drool over, I was kind of pissed that Sanchez was The Owner's guy ... and relieved that he missed out on him. I remember Carroll being a little more strident -- not just reservations -- but figured that he was pissed about Sanchez not coming back to be his QB for his senior year. Anyway, I'm not sold on the Sanchez bandwagon ... seems like another pretty boy that everyone is waiting for to save the world ... like Leinart or Brady Quinn.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have MARTY S. email add ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------

mschizel@Iwas8n8justlikezorn.com

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 17, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

LaVar is an ASS. He hates the Skins because they got rid of him. If he had played within the rules and didn't cry about his signing bonus he may still be a Redskin in some capacity. I loved him when he came out of college. I thought he was a beast. Now he is just a big washed up whinner. LaVar, JUST SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TheJury | August 17, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheJury | August 17, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------

We'll never really know what went on behind the scenes, but after seeing Gregg (extra 'g' for genius) Williams pull his 'I am so smart I can with with Archuleta' tantrum, I'm not so sure Arrington is in the wrong.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 17, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez is an animal! Dont know if you guys saw it but he is starting this weeks preseason for the Jets and to all the people that want to make excuses for Campbell. How is it that a kid has only been with a team for a few weeks of PRACTICE and throw the ball around like he was????

Posted by: BenchCampbell | August 17, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Now he is just a big washed up whinner. LaVar, JUST SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TheJury | August 17, 2009 4:58 PM

Freedom of speech is a right ' KNUCLE HEAD".

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Prediction -

With the first pick of the 2010 NFL Draft the Washington Redskins pick Tim Tebow - Quarterback from U of Florida!

Posted by: oldnova | August 17, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ElDrano | August 17, 2009 4:28 PM

So you're not an IT guy or a geek. Several ways to do this. Easiest is three different browsers on same machine, IE, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc. Each uses a different cookie set so you can log in more than once. Now who's the dumbazz

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 17, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Prediction -

Posted by: oldnova | August 17, 2009 5:05 PM

No Trent Williams from Oklahoma

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 17, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

BenchCampbell, Sanchez might turn out to be all that, like Ryan or Flacco, but Ryan and Flacco had serious offensive lines (well, maybe more serious in Atlanta than Baltimore). The Jets SHOULD finally have their line together (though I thought I just read that Faneca is out). Sanchez would not have that kind of line here in D.C.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

So, who will linebackers be for the Skins on the opening day roster. Last year they only had 6 for most of the year, and this year they drafted 3 (if you count Orakpo).

So you've got Orakpo, Fletcher, and McIntosh for sure.

Then you have Blades, Thomas, and Fincher as the veteran backups.

Plus you have Chris Wilson, who is to be another hybrid like Orakpo...

And you have the 2 draft picks - Glenn and Hanson.

So even if you keep 7, who do you keep?

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 17, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"I think my mom has found one, but I haven't had a whole lot of time to go look for one yet," he said. "I kind of miss it. I'm having Super Wamart withdrawals. I mean, you've got everything in a Super Walmart. They have people who damn near do your taxes at Super Walmart"

classic.

Posted by: saltine182 | August 17, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

If the Skins try to replace Campbell after this season, its going to be in free agency, not the draft.

Alternative prediction: For their first pick in the NFL 2010 draft, the Skins take a running back.

Alt-alternative prediction: The Skins have traded their first pick in the NFL 2010 draft to [insert] in exchange for [insert QB already in the league].

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

WeMiss21, based on my review of one preseason game, I think the Skins will keep Henson.

saltine182, something tells me that Haynesworth is going to need a team of CPAs to figure out his taxes for this calendar year (assuming he doesn't hire Mike Tyson's financial planner).

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Charean Williams, president of the PFWA, said she's not certain many teams will allow tweeting during practices that are not open to the public.

"On the one hand, some coaches like to tell us in the media that we don't know anything. On the other, they're worried about what we're saying and writing and 'giving away secrets' to the enemy.' They can't have it both ways," Williams said. "If they'd be more worried about what their team is doing on the field than what we're writing, there probably wouldn't be so much turnover in the coaching profession.

By Rick Maese | August 16, 2009; 3:15 PM ET

This is such an incredibly weak, illogical argument by Ms. Williams, it's hard to imagine how she is president of the PFWA.

Posted by: Barno1 | August 17, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

luckily for Albert, there's a walmart 10 minutes from Redskins park. Not only that, but they're in the process of turning it into a super walmart. Not only does the dude get a $100 million contract, but Walmart builds him a super walmart. What doesn't go right for Albert?

Posted by: -swb | August 17, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't care for serious offensive lines, sween.

Like Vinnie Cerrato, my preference has always been for an offensive line with a sense of humor about itself. Light-hearted. congenial. They're not laughing at the opposing D line, they're laughing with the opposing D line.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 17, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

LaVar just has an axe to grind, it was well known that Pedro Taylor stood up and gave a standing ovation when the minister presiding over 21's funeral mentioned the redskins organization.

LaVar needs to shut up, he can moan and groan about his treatment under grilliams and gibbs but the simple fact was he was out of the league a year later! Let go from an organization that he said treated him SO much better than the redskins. As soon as jerry reese became GM of the giants he cut his broken down ass. He should go run his restaurant.....whoops i forgot it went belly up. guess he "freelanced" too much as a business owner too.

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 17, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | August 17, 2009 5:19 PM

It is a string on non-sequiturs, but consider where it's coming from: the woman covers the Dallas Cowboys for the Fort Worth paper. And, as far as being president of the PFWA, do you really think that anyone wants that job?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 5:13 PM

My prediction: Whatever they do it will be roundly criticized by Don Banks, the Cork, Lavar Arrington, and brownwood.

And I don't need no stinking alternative prediction like sween. When I see the future, I see the future. Or, in this case, the past.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

"Pete Carroll had reservations about him being ready for the NFL."

Pete Carroll--as Rick Pitino has recently proven--is a selfish college football coach worried about his roster and contract.

USC v. Florida is the National Championship if Sanchez stays in school.

Now it's the gators v. a college all-star team and the gators still win handily as they are a college all-star team.

Now, with Sanchez giving hope to the folks in j-e-t-sland, Stinky Pete can sit back and watch Sanchez do what he couldn't do in New York: win, baby.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 17, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, -swb, I just had a flashback of driving in the Ashburn/"Dulles"/Sterndon hellscape... every tiny errand requiring a 15- to 30-minute drive to this or that strip mall... the horrific gargantuan banality of the Wal-Mart you mention (and what great news for everyone that it will soon be super-sized)... ugh...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 17, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Now he is just a big washed up whinner. LaVar, JUST SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TheJury | August 17, 2009 4:58 PM

Freedom of speech is a right ' KNUCLE HEAD".

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 17, 2009 5:05 PM |

Hey FJZ, if freedom of speech is a right then why is it that athletes and coaches get fined for criticizing the refs?? And whats with this name calling, PENIS LIPS.

Posted by: TheJury | August 17, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator

"For their first pick in the NFL 2010 draft, the Skins take a running back."

CJ Spiller, anyone?

He's Portis with the breakaway speed.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 17, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

always happy to provide horrific flashbacks, Nate. fwiw, they've closed half of the walmart parking lot for construction, so it's even worse now.

on a positive note though, (since i know you're dying to know about rt. 28), they've finished a ton of off ramps on 28/removed a bunch of traffic signals, which means traffic flow is sooooo much better now. happy times, right?

Posted by: -swb | August 17, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator

"For their first pick in the NFL 2010 draft, the Skins take a running back."

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 17, 2009 5:31 PM

Moe, You got me confused with DCSween. I'm flattered.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

What's with the Comcast SportsNet telecast? Why don't they SHUT UP and show the game? I mean, between Kelli Johnson and Joe Theisman, I thought it was a special edition of THE VIEW!

Why don't they just tell me who's in the game and who made or missed the play? That's all I want to know.

If Portis, et al., don't want to play in the game, don't interrupt the game to interview them on the sideline! What stupidity! If this happens next week, that's the last preseason game I'm watching. It's not worth it, they don't even show the game!

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | August 17, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Out of curiosity, is The Owner still the controlling shareholder in Six Flags? Or was that just from the boom boom early 2000s?

Because if there’s one way to save a failing company, its to expand to a lucrative international market where the local consumers will pay:

But sometimes failing companies are just too debt-ridden to survive:

On the other hand, sometimes a little advance market research separates good business decisions from other business decisions:

[I am NOT suggesting that this tale of woe is consistent with advance market research failures like Brandon Lloyd ... just sayin' ....]

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

MistraMoe, I had about that guy. Does he really spill stuff?

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

MistraMoe, I heard about that guy. Does he really spill stuff?

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 5:39 PM

He was never the controlling shareholder, and now that it's in bankruptcy whatever shares he had (about 8%, I think) are worthless. The company is owned by the debtholders.

What he did was to put together a coalition of shareholders who made him Chairman of the Board and approved his management team. The debtholders may well stick with his management team. And he may try to buy back into the company by purchasing some of the debt.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Robert Palmer thinks Andre Carter is a disappointment. This will be his ninth
season in the NFL and the ninth season as a starter in the NFL. Except when he missed a half of one season in 2004 he missed only 2
games in 7 seasons and not one game with Washington. In fact, Washington could put Orakpo at right end and replace Carter, but they don't.Blatche isn't an idiot. Carter obviously does things besides sack the Quarterback or this wouldn't be his ninth consecutive season as a starting DE/LB.

Posted by: firemetalrat | August 17, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

About Horton, don't forget all 3 of his interceptions and a fumble recovery occurred prior to the fifth game.

That's a record that does suggest Chris comes back to the league some this coming season.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 17, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Robert Palmer thinks Andre Carter is a disappointment. ...

Posted by: firemetalrat | August 17, 2009 5:44 PM

I was not disappointed with the "Simply Irresistable" video.

Posted by: dcsween | August 17, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 17, 2009 5:28 PM

And how do you do it in the PDX, Nate? You just call the beer store and they deliver all of life's necessities?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 17, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oldnova | August 17, 2009 5:05 PM

It is a widely known fact that florida qb's cannot play qb in the nfl. he will be drafted to run the wildcat for the houston texans one year after the league has figured out how to stop it. lol.

Campbell will not be replaced the O-line will give him a little time and Malcom Kelly will revive his career, and every fair weather fan on here will say they knew he was the one all along

Posted by: skinztattoo89 | August 17, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

1. walking to place in the neighborhood (for example, I'll be doing this tomorrow night, to consume mass quantities with some of the PDX Skins faithful at my local)
2. bicycling (for example, I did this yesterday, biking home with one bag of groceries, a six-pack of suds, and two kids)
3. taking the light rail downtown (for example, I do this periodically to see live music in one of Portland's fine venues)
4. driving the car

It's about having options. In Assburn there were no options.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 17, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: tafka | August 17, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Re: LaVar

Early Career -
Was the only reason to watch the Skins for many years. 3 consecutive Pro Bowls and knocking Troy "The Nancy-Boy" Aikman into retirement earns him an all-time spot in my heart.

Later Career -
Blame to spread around. LaVar got injured; freestyled alot; became a little unreliable; maybe thought he was "above" the system. Even so, good coaches figure out how to get the most out of their best players. Pretty bush-league of Grilliams to cuff LaVar and sit him on the bench just b/c he didn't stand in the right spot all the time. All the while Warrick Holdman was giving us 1 tackle per game.

Contract Issue -
Blame falls squarely on LaVar's bum-of-an-agent who forgot to check the contract to see if the mysterious 6.5 mill bonus was actually in there. Stupid of LaVar to beef with Danny and stand by his dumb agent. I believe the agent got his licesne suspended for malpractice.

Post-Redskins -
Achilles injury and lucky to survive the motorcycle crash. You'd think that brush with death would make him a little more grateful, and he wouldn't be spending his days squeezing sour grapes. You've got a nice life, LaVar...just enjoy it...

Posted by: p1funk | August 17, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what Campbell's, Ryan's and Flacco's stats were last season per TDs, INTs and total yards?

Posted by: GoEagles | August 17, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 17, 2009 4:44 PM

Ummm....that was a joke right?!?!?!?!

Posted by: eazy413 | August 20, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse