Pakulak Signed to Practice Squad; Shelton Dropped

The Redskins' punter competition has ended -- yet the team's 53-man roster remains the same.

Glenn Pakulak, a 29-year-old journeyman punter, has been added to the practice squad. To make room for Pakulak, the Redskins have released wide receiver Trent Shelton from the practice squad.

So you're thinking: If Hunter Smith is hurt and unable to play, why have Pakulak on the practice squad? We'll find out an official answer from Coach Jim Zorn on Wednesday, but this transaction seems to indicate that the team is hopeful that Smith will be ready to play on Sunday and that Pakulak is merely insurance in case Smith's groin keeps him from punting against the Panthers.

Zorn indicated Monday that the team will evaluate Smith's progress throughout the week. Smith injured his groin on the first punt of the first quarter last weekend against Tampa Bay. If Smith doesn't seem healthy enough by Friday, expect Pakulak to get elevated from the practice squad for at least the Panthers game. If Smith is healthy and ready to play, don't be surprised if Shelton is back on the practice squad next week and Pakulak is sent packing.

The Redskins are Pakulak's ninth NFL team. He previously played for the Bears, Falcons, Jets, Raiders, Steelers, Titans, Seahawks and most recently, the Saints. He averaged 37.7 yards on 24 punts for New Orleans last year.

By Rick Maese  |  October 6, 2009; 4:32 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What I Think: The Tampa Bay Edition
Next: Redskins Hire Offensive Consultant

Comments

*yaaaaaaawwwn*

Posted by: RedDMV | October 6, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Captin Check Down needs to be on the bench
I almost crap in my pants when he went deep to Moss it was like someone forced him to do that. He needs to have some balls
and a take a chance

Posted by: richardgovea | October 6, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

HWH HWIT the Christian Bale version.

Here's what happened: Zorn stuck with?!?! ah da du da du da da! Quarterback Jason Campbell!

Here's what I think: If you think Collins would do a better job starting at QB, OHHHHHHH GOOD FOR YOU! Your an F*** F***stick. Get over it, JC is not the best QB in the NFL but he sure as F*** is the best QB on this roster. Collins is useless now!

Here's what happened: Kelly had no receptions in the victory over Tampa Bay. Thomas has 1 all year

Here's what I think: Oh surprise surprise, the young WR's are coming up looking like G** D*** losers again, well what the F*** did you expect? These idiots are useless now.

Here's what happened: Washington's ability to win is about as strong as Hugh F*** Hefner C*** with out the blue pill.

Here's what I think: Ooo, you want me to punch you you want me to F*** punch you in the face. Because I will, now lets do it again. LETS DO IT AGAIN! NO... F**** NO!

Posted by: alex35332 | October 6, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | October 6, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

zjfr2,

You keep harping on JC's performance against the Bucs, but I hope even you can admit that was an aberration for him -- he usually doesn't throw that many picks. Much of the criticism of him in the past has been his conservative nature and fear of making the big mistake. If you want to compare Rodgers game last night to something, wouldn't a more fair comparison be JC's stats against the Giants?

Posted by: mattylight | October 6, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Matty, this at least is in the realm of a logical point and realistic. I fully agree that Sunday was an aberration for JC. You are correct he usually doesn't throw that many picks. Would you also be willing to agree though that it isn't really an aberration for he and the offense to struggle even against very bad teams/defenses? I'm just going off of memory here so I may be wrong on this point but the 2007 Detroit home game is the last time I can remember a game where we won by more than two scores and legitimately just beat somebody. Other than that, it doesn't matter who we've played good or bad we find a way to be mediocre keep things close and either squeak out wins or loses. We found a way to play down to our competition again even though it was at home and it was some of the weakest competition we've ever played, but hey, St. Lousi, Cincy, the 49ers last year, so I can't say I'm that shocked. The disturbing thing to me though is we were not competitive with the Giants. And we weren't really competitive with the Lions. That is worse than recent years where no matter what we were competitive. So to me, a 4th year starter, 5th year in the league guy with 40 starts under his belt and is in second year in the system is regressing, not progressing.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 6, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 6, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Like we're going to have to punt against the Panthers. Just call the touchdown plays.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 6, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 6, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

No dude I agree with you on almost all those points. I think some might call me a JC apologist but I really am not...I think he's at best above average like I've said before. The offense as a whole is a mess, and I believe the blame should be spread around, not just all dropped at JC's feet. I think our O-Line is subpar, CP is showing to be getting old fast, new WR's aren't producing -- for whatever reason -- and you hit on it, we just might be a team that has no killer instinct in terms of putting bad teams away early. I'm a little more patient than many with Campbell cause the dude had the reset button hit on him with so many different systems year after year, and this is his first time with some consistency in terms of the offensive approach. My patience does have its limits though, and if he can't get it together this season I'm all for moving on before 2010...

Posted by: mattylight | October 6, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Someone please slap those 2nd yr receivers!!! What about the WR coach? Shouldn't he be getting some heat for not developing these guys? All over the league 1st and 2nd yr WRs are doing grand things.

Posted by: KBDC | October 6, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

This is so true. How come the Skins haven't held the WR's coach accountable? Isn't his job to train, teach and prepare the Wideouts? .... stealing money....

Posted by: priceisright | October 6, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

"psps23 - What type of performance from JC will it take to get you off his junk? Seriously, your support for JC is admirable...but you need to let it go.

Posted by: oh_boy1"

I need to see games where I can honestly say that Campbell is the one holding this team back.

In the first half of TB, he was. And I called for him to be benched.

But when Campbell is dropping 200-300+ yard games and is the only person cultivating TDs, while CP sits at 0 TDs through 4 games despite getting WORKED in the red zone, while our top 3 RBs are averaging 3.9, 2.6, and 1.9 YPC, our defense is allowing 99, 85, and 83 yard TD drives, our defense is dead last in the league in getting off the field on 3rd down, and our defense is allowing the opposing team hold the ball for 65% of the time of possession -- no, I'm not going to drop the blame on Campbell. Sorry. I look for weaknesses, then create my opinion based on that. I don't pull the "knight in shining armor" fantasy, and assume another QB is going to turn around those weaknesses instantly.

Campbell sucked against TB in the first half. If that's the Campbell we see next week, I will be right back here calling for his head.

But I wouldn't bet on seeing that guy again.

Posted by: psps23 | October 6, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Then why didn't Zorn bench Campbell?

Posted by: psps23 | October 6, 2009 4:07 PM

Maybe because Zorn believes JC gives the Skins the best chance to win right now and time bore that out. But that doesn't mean JZ's fate is tied to JC's performance. The owner told JC to his face that he didn't think he was good enough. I have to believe that evaluation was made with input from his coaching staff, particularly the HC, QB guru. Do you really believe JC will be back next year as a starter? I don't - regardless of how the team finishes.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | October 6, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | October 6, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

On that we can completely agree. I only started the question the other day because if I was in Zorn's shoes, I know if we keep sucking I'm fired. So I really am only thinking about one of two things, either a) how do I rebound and keep my job or b) how do I ever get hired for anything again? IMO if we hit the bye week where I think we will which is 3 and 4. And still playing terrible offense I get Collins warmed up in the bullpen and see what happens. With New Orleans playing so well and the 49ers being for real and lets face, at 3-4 we aint catching the Giants or Eagles, that means we'd be fighting the Cowboys, Falcons, Cardinals, Bears, and maybe Packers all for one playoff spot. Don't see it happening. If Collins comes in and moves the ball and scores some points and the offense becomes somewhat legit then Zorn either can say to Snyder it was the crappy QB he was stuck with from the jump or at least he has some interview film to show somebody somewhere he could be a viable OC. I don't see him going down with the JC ship that seems to be sinking faster by the week.

IMHO our season rests on this game this week, a big road win against an NFC opponent and maybe things are turning around some. Another terrible offensive performance and a loss, and the season is basically over with 3 in conference losses already on our books and looking up to 2 teams in our division already.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 6, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

And, here it is...the final piece of the puzzle. Next stop: 14-2.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 6, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

so, whats the game plan for the panthers....they gotta get the offense going...gotta keep the panthers off balance...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 6, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 6, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Yup -- gotta find a way to get to 4-2 before the Philly game...2nd half of the schedule is way too hard to navigate if we are anything worse than that...

Posted by: mattylight | October 6, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Poor T-Shizzle.

Posted by: AdamCr | October 6, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 6, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Offensively I'd like to see them run a few screens to slow down their pass rush.

On defense I think it's stop the run, don't allow steve smith any big plays, capitalize on any opportunities for takeaways.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 6, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Bean, our only hope is to get to Delhomme early and often. If we get turnovers we win, if they control the clock with Williams and Stewart and play action to Smith we're done. If I'm Blache I go all Remember the Titans on our guys and tell "I want you to blitz all night! If they can another yard I'm taking every last one of you out!" Our D has to show up and show up big cause their defense is a far better defense than any we've seen the last 3 weeks and regardless of why we can all agree our offense has been south of suckage.

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 6, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Sherm Lewis, huh?

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | October 6, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

It sure would be nice to throw some slants, I mean come on every defense is either playing 8 in the box of 2 high defense with the safeties up top. the middle of the field has to be open.

I dont understand why we dont throw more slants, corner routes, post, and go routes from the the slot. I mean imagine Cooley going for a post to the left and Fred davis going up the seem. or Santana running a go route from the slot and devin running a corner route or vice versa.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 6, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Mike Holmgren not available? He seems to have a decent resume.

Posted by: will_ga | October 6, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

big beep

Posted by: alex35332 | October 6, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Sherm Lewis moving in now?!?!?! Looks like Zorn's time is coming up soon. Everyone keeps saying how none of the big name coaches won't come in mid season because they want to have their staff in there.... Well it looks like you bring Sherm in as a "consultant" and during the bye week, fire zorn and hire holmgren without, in theory, missing a beat?

Posted by: PanteraCFH | October 6, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

You also have to love how the redskins offical website already has a few articles written about Sherm Lewis and yet not a word mentioned on RI

Posted by: PanteraCFH | October 6, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Pokulok and Pakulak...what are the chances?

Posted by: paperboy76 | October 6, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

It would be interesting if some of these blogs/articles gave the salaries of the players involved. The fans do, after all, help pay their salaries. But, then, it might be too depressing, and the Post does NOT want to antagonize the Redskins.

Posted by: Sutter | October 6, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KBDC | October 6, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: priceisright

Maybe those other receivers had a QB who could get them the ball.

Posted by: olavsmith | October 6, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

That's kind of lame Jason - Haven't you followed the latest NFL trend where teams cut a vested veteran on Saturday - thus insuring that he gets his week's check, they elevate the PS guy, then the team resigns the veteran on Monday and put the PS back on the PS. Several teams have been doing this and it effectively expands the roster to 54 players.

Posted by: thinker11 | October 6, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

It's kind of funny that the Bucs cut their kicker after losing to us.

Posted by: Thundershock | October 6, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Yes, while we need a punter...i mean...really..who cares.

its only for a couple of weeks, if that, and then Hunter the Punter will be back.

not a big deal. doesnt even warrant a blog in my opinion but...ok.

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan | October 6, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

If you stupid losers don't think the story is important, why do you read it and then comment about it? Nobody is impressed with you. Go back and tend to your fries.

Posted by: bendan2000 | October 6, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Great News! Pakaluaka or whatever the @uck his name is the missing piece!

Posted by: nativedc | October 6, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | October 6, 2009 4:54 PM |
-----------------------------

Ummmm, the other teams have the ball more because the Redskins offense is mostly three-and-out. Occasionally, on good drives, it's six plays and out.

I'd have more respect for your post had you just answered: "Never. I'm NEVER going to get off of JC's junk. I love him."

And you might as well just say that; all of your posts telegrapgh that anyway.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 6, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Charley Casserly, the Redskins' former general manager, said during an appearance Tuesday on Comcast SportsNet's "Washington Post Live," that the move to add Sherman Lewis did not bode well for Zorn's future, calling the addition of Lewis a "kiss of death."

Time is running out Jimmy. You need to find playmakers. Get Kelly, Davis or Thomas off the friggin field. Start Marco Mitchell and throw him the damn ball.

Posted by: donsilvester | October 7, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Zorn will be canned during the bye week. He's a TERRIBLE offensive coordinator, much less head coach.

Posted by: shanks1 | October 7, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse