Play-calling by committee

"I know that he'll have more of a comfort level just 'cause he continues to learn about what we're doing and the plan," Zorn said. "We'll try to do the same things we did a couple weeks ago to help him with the way we have it put together."

Smith is expected to call the running game for the rest of the season and "I think that's going to be a work-together situation."

As for Zorn potentially handling the two-minute drill for the rest of the season, "I probably will handle some of it, but it's not that specific of a ... it's not that cut and dry. And also, I would say I'll still interject every once and a while if I can't keep my mouth shut."

So although Vinny Cerrato stripped Zorn of play-calling duties with owner Daniel Snyder's approval, he apparently plans to maintain a role in the process.

"I think that's very cool," Zorn said. "I think Sherm's good with it. It's just part of my comfort level."

When asked whether Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, was okay with Zorn's decision to do that, Zorn responded, "I haven't asked him."

By Jason Reid  |  November 6, 2009; 1:58 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blades might play Sunday against Falcons
Next: Paulescu to get his kicks

Comments

Go ahead Zorny! Stick it to your future former employer!

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 6, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

When asked if lap dog Vinny was ok with this, Zorn replied, "I don't care."

Posted by: edvar | November 6, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Nothing wrong with THREE people calling plays

Posted by: gixxer998 | November 6, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

We need a SS Lbacker. Blades is being groomed... or not... as a middle backer behind London. He is not big or fast enough to be a SS backer.

Philip Daniels is The Man. Quietly goes about his business in a MOST professional manner.

D Needs: Starting quality SS LB. True FS.
O Needs: 2 OT. Guard. Center, although Rabach can hold his own another year or two assuming the other holes are filled. RB. QB, although i think Campbell plays better when he has better support, and worse when he has to be the "savior" or play maker. Not the long term solution, but the other needs are more glaring.

Thats 8 top 3 round needs...and you can't get there from here in one year. What you can do, is get a good start once you admit your problem and decide to truly fix it.

I think I would go immediate starter LT, and SS LB or G depending on best available option next year with the first two picks.

I would assume and (hope) that Samuels, Thomas, (ARE) will be gone.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 6, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Carry forward from last thread.

Zorn is sure daring Snyder to can either him or Vinny during the year. I give him props for that.

We suck, but "As Ashburns" is riveting reality viewing, LOL.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | November 6, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Good to know that things are just all SNAFU with the Redskins.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 6, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Zorn: "And also, I would say I'll still interject every once and a while if I can't keep my mouth shut."

How about another meet with the lawyers to go over the part of the contract about insubordination to keep the ole pie hole shut?

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | November 6, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how Vinny likes today's new additional title for him: "Mini me sock-puppet", given to him courtesy of Thomas Boswell.

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 6, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

It don't make much difference who calls what... as long as the snap goes to JC17... an entirely talentless, dysfunctional and clueless dufus of a dork... who couldn't execute his way out of a sandbox.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 6, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Isn't there a joke about this?

"How many Redskins coaches does it take to call in a play"...or something like that?

Posted by: p1funk | November 6, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

So although owner Daniel Snyder stripped Zorn of play-calling duties, he apparently plans to maintain a role in the process.

When asked whether Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations, was okay with Zorn's decision to do that, Zorn responded, "I haven't asked him."
_____________________

Might want to check with your attorney on the "firing for cause" terms in your contract Zorny... You might find yourself heading home in a few weeks with several million dollars less than you could have. Food for thought.

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 6, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

This is just getting totally silly now!

Why not have Sherm Lewis meet with Zorn Monday night and go over the game plan, plays that are on the short list, etc.?

If they are going to fire Zorn at the end of the year, they should at least give him the opportunity to fail or succeed on his own terms. The way they are treating him is so low!

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | November 6, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Sherm, please do NOT execute the "Zoron Plan." We've all seen enough of it. Do your thing Sherm, do your thing.

Posted by: dcwun | November 6, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

FUBAR

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 6, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

mayor

"New play-caller Sherman Lewis will direct the offense for the second time Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons at the Georgia Dome -- with some help."

Again: we support this action even though we condemn how it all came to be.

Sherm does indeed have a broader understanding of how to use personnel, formation, and design as evidenced in the iggles' loss.

And we shouldn't be perturbed if the skins get a 40-burger put on them this weekend.

What we'd like to see is the complete use of Fred Davis, Devin Thomas, and Santana Moss.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 6, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

TARFU

Posted by: RedDMV | November 6, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1

I know you don't like JC but stop acting like we've had "franchise" QBs lead us to titles before. JC is far from great but can be good. Joe Montana would look average hehind this line. It all starts up front and we need to fix that before we start looking for the "franchise" QB.

Posted by: dcwun | November 6, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

With all this talk about play calling they completed neglect the personnel on the field. This is why after a 2-5 start and being a strong contender for the worst team in the league you have the same inactives every week and never demote anybody not performing.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

completely for all the grammar nazi's out there.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | November 6, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

No waaay bra!! It's all JC man. He's holdin us down. If we draft Tim Tebow we goin straight to tha supa bowl. W00t!1! JC is actually Jerry Jones in disguise.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 6, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | November 6, 2009 2:25 PM

Regardless of those who continue to make excuses for JC's long list of shortcomings and those who see him for the backup QB that he is... He's gone after this year.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

3 playcallers?

what could go wrong!?

Posted by: smutsboy | November 6, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Can't believe that tunnel vision zorn is still here. Fire him already. Every time he opens his mouth I lose more respect for him and feel less sorry for him.

If you are not going to fire him yet, take away his talking to the media duties!

This team has regressed since zorn has been the HC.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 6, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44

He's a restricted FA and he will be back because he won't cost much. Book it!

Posted by: dcwun | November 6, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

He's a restricted FA and he will be back because he won't cost much. Book it!

Posted by: dcwun | November 6, 2009 2:37 PM

I'll take that action.

I think he needs a change of scenery. He needs to watch the game from his couch.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

_____________________

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 6, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Vinny has already made a big deal about publicly giving Zorn a vote of confidence for the remainder of the season.

Vinny can decide to fire Zorn for "insubordination" but that would just put Vinny's arse on the hot seat forcing him to go back on his previous declaration.

Zorn knows he's done after this season anyways, so what does it matter to him? At this point, I'm not sure that Zorn cares if he doesn't get the rest of his $$. They've humiliated him so badly, I'm sure it would mean more to him to stick it Vinny regardless of the cash.

Posted by: p1funk | November 6, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"I haven't asked him."

I can't be the only one that likes Zorn sticking it to "The Man" ever so subtlely. Not enough to get fired, but just enough to show some backbone. Good for you JZ!!

Posted by: mrlowery1 | November 6, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Is there anyway zorn can be one of the in-actives this week?

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 6, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Campbell should just disable the transmitter in his helmet and call his own plays.

Posted by: coparker5 | November 6, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

oh the humanity... mkayor get some new topics...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 6, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

dcwun --

Nah, we don't need no franchise QB, but we might like to see someone in there who can hang on to the ball, make some reads, work the pocket, compete a few passes to the open receivers, move the chains, and maybe even score some points.

All we've gotten from JC17 for the entire time that he has been playing here is a lot of psychobabble about being off with rhythm, off with his timing and out of his comfort zone -- and an unrelenting series of excuses and alibis for his consistent inability to execute even the simplest of plays.

I also cannot understand the team's aversion to benching this composite loser and playing Collins instead. TC is no franchise QB either, but can at least do a little bit of the aforementioned.

I suspect it may have something to do with Zoron's moronic stubbornness, vanity and stupidity.

As I said earlier, it really doesn't matter who calls what. Rather, it's more a matter of who plays and how well they execute their assignments.

And frankly, through good lines and bad, and with great and not so great runners, receivers and blockers -- the one consistent factor throughout is JC17's continuing inability to get it done.

And for that, I blame the coaching staff and ownership group -- who continues to start and play this loser of a QB, despite his proven and continuing inability to get it done.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 6, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Boswell really nailed it in his article about Snyder and Steinbrenner. Do you suppose Dan-the-man read it?

HAHAhahahahahahaha

Posted by: edvar | November 6, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I'll take that action.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Do watch any other teams? I mean do you really know what other QBs are out there? Why should JC be at home on the couch when Jamarcus Russel, Trent Edwards, Matt Cassel, Derek Anderson, Chad Henne, Marc Bulger, Jake Delhomme, Jay Cutler, and David Garrard still get to play? Like it or not JC is the best FA QB this year. That means the only options are drafting a starter or promoting from wihtin. You guys are delusional if you think drafting another QB is going to fix this offense. Todd Collins sucks as bad as JC and Brennan is worse than both of them.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 6, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

How sad is it when you have a defense that is in the top five in points allowed and yards allowed and the side of the ball you are in charge of could only manage two wins against some of the bottom feeders in the NFL?

Where does zorn's arrogance come from? The only thing he has accomplished here is to take JGibbs running game and make it laughable!

What a joke this guy is.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 6, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

"Why should JC be at home on the couch when Jamarcus Russel, Trent Edwards, Matt Cassel, Derek Anderson, Chad Henne, Marc Bulger, Jake Delhomme, Jay Cutler, and David Garrard still get to play?"

I'd take Bulger, Henne, and Garrard out of that grouping before Campbell if I was starting a team tomorrow.

That is, of course, if Tom Brady or Drew Brees is somehow accounted for.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 6, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

That is, of course, if Tom Brady or Drew Brees is somehow accounted for.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 6, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Bulger is terrible. Have you watched him play this year?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 6, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Vic1

I'm in complete and total agreement. I was pissed when we gave 1st, 3rd, & 4th to take this dope in 2005 after 1 decent year surrounded by a laundry list of NFL talent @ Auburn.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Get Bulger and bring back AL Saunders!

Have fun kicking that one around...

Posted by: edvar | November 6, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Bulger is only as good as the players around him. With the exception of Stephen Jackson, the players around Bulger are not very good.

The same would be true if he came to this Shabingus.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 6, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

That was dumb. We left a lot of other teams scratching their heads when that happened. Gibbs doesn't value draft picks. He doesn't get it anymore. Those 3rd and 4th rounders are where you get great quality linemen prospects. By moving up and taking JC in the first round all we did was raise the expectations for a guy that was only ever supposed to be a mediocre QB. Just because you overpaid doesn't mean the product is going to be any better. Now, he's a bust because he can't carry a team. He doesn't play like a first rounder because he never should have been a first rounder. He has to be surrounded by talent and anybody that scouted him noted that.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 6, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Vic1

Again, it all starts up front. We have to remember that through 8 games last year, people were touting both CP and JC as MVP candidates. What changed in the last 8 games as well as this year? You have to have the horses up front.

To consistently blame JC for this mess isn't acurate. Again, he's not the greatest but to think that a slow Todd Collins would fair better than JC is kinda crazy.

Protection is everything. Even the great Tom Brady looks like a totally different dude when he getting hit all of the time. The SB against the Gints and this year's Jets game is the perfect example.

Posted by: dcwun | November 6, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

I'd take Cassel, Henne, Garrard, and of course Cutler. JC definitely belongs in the grouping of the other players mentioned. JC is the second coming of Tony Banks or a more contemporary Kyle Boller.

Having said that I don't want an injury prone Bradford, an undersized McCoy, or a FB/TE playing QB in Tebow, or even a guy in Locker that has more upside but needs seasoning.

I'm hoping we are watching a newly hired GM draft either LT Okung or Williams.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

What a joke this guy is.

Posted by: Curzon417

The only thing Zorn has accomplished is taking over a playoff team and making it worse.

Posted by: dcwun | November 6, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Beeps.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 6, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping we are watching a newly hired GM draft either LT Okung or Williams.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't like these QBs either. The only one I think would even have a chance here is Colt McCoy. Williams needs to stop getting burned. I like Bulaga and even that kid out of Maryland better than Wiliams right now. Okung is the cream of the crop though. My plan was to actually draft WCO players. We could get an athletic tackle in the 2nd and 4th rounds. Take C.J. Spiller in the first. Bulaga in the second and Capers in the 4th. Then in the get a WCO QB in the 2011 draft. I actually like Christian Ponder from Florida State and think he would be a good fit here but he needs to continue developing.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 6, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

That is, of course, if Tom Brady or Drew Brees is somehow accounted for.

Posted by: MistaMoe

C'mon Moe. Have you seen Garrard this year. That's not an upgrade over JC. Bulger sucks and is one hit away from being out of the league (concussion).

Posted by: dcwun | November 6, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

can i call a couple of plays, too? What a joke this is. Do they have a four sided die to decide whose turn it is?

Speaking of draft picks: Adrian Peterson or Laron Landry. Now that was a bad choice.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | November 6, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping we are watching a newly hired GM draft either LT Okung or Williams.

Posted by: Diesel44 | November 6, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I hardly call Bradford injury prone. The guy had one injury and came back too early.

Posted by: Redskins001 | November 6, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I just heard on radio that Marko will be active this sunday. Can someone either confirm or deny this?

Posted by: REDneckSKINhead | November 6, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | November 6, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I remember a bunch of the Portis fans saying we didn't need him. Drafting for need that really works well.

Posted by: Redskins001 | November 6, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

How many coordinators/head coaches is it going to take for some of you people to realize we have bad players on offense. Cooley and Moss and sometimes Portis are the only players that could start on most teams. This is the same offense that Gibbs had we he first got here with the exception of one or two and they have never been good. First it was Gibbs, then Saunders, then Zorn, and next Sherman Lewis will get the blame. How about the players??? We need more TALENT!!

Posted by: Redskins001 | November 6, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

The pundits should try honing their observation abilities: Cooley is afraid of losing his job to Davis. Davis IS potentially a far superior blocker. That was the Scouts' take on him in college. He has the natural skills they look for. He was also considered to be a potentially an excellent receiver with soft-hands and decent speed.

Posted by: periculum | November 6, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

The redskins need a new RB to replace/back Portis,in the next draft they should try to nabb the RB from Alabama-J.INGRAM WHO IS ALSO A HEISMAN CANDIDATE,THIS GUY IS ACTUALLY BETTER THAN A.PETERSON flat out,he's got some amazing duke moves,will run over you and can gain amazing yards after contact whisch the skins really need,if they pass on this guy,i dont know,but he is a game changer

Posted by: BEE5N2002 | November 6, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I definitely am starting to believe the dysfunctionality that's going on in the organization when Zorn was asked whether or not Vinny knows about it and he stated pretty much: "No and he need not know"...I say good for Z although his future is looking much more bleak.
REBUILDING IS NOW....3-13 HERE WE COME!!!!
GO SKINS!!!!

Posted by: dpena75 | November 6, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

ONE MORE THING...
DANNY BOY:
FIRE YOUR PUPPET VINNY...HIRE A GM/HC IN THE OFF SEASON WHO KNOWS HOW THE GAME OF FOOTBALL ACQUISITION BY DRAFT WORKS!!!!
GO SKINS!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dpena75 | November 6, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

The Bama running back can hardly be compared to AP. He has had half a good season. AP carried Oklahoma the entire time he was there.

We can get a decent free agent running back for cheap....or CP can suffice behind a better line for one more year.

We need an oline, but if we were going to take the best available player the Vols safety gets my vote. He is in the mold of ST21

Posted by: rupertpupkin | November 6, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Who should replace Vinny?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | November 6, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Many long years ago in business school I was taught a management concept called Unity of Command. It's probably been around since the early days of the Roman Empire. This play calling monster seems to have three or more heads. How anyone in their right mind thinks this can work is beyond me. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The egotism behind these decisions is mind boggling.

Posted by: SackMan | November 6, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

What a well oiled machine..Yikes,at this stage, I would rather have the Magic 8 Ball calling plays.

Posted by: djorl | November 6, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

It is absolutely mind-boggling that halfway through the regular season, we're reading the following description of an NFL franchise's offense:

"Offensive coordinator Sherman Smith still will handle most of the running game, and Zorn plans to stay in the mix as well. And then there's offensive assistant Chris Meidt, who provided a big assist to Lewis in the coaches' box during the 27-17 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted by: simpleton1 | November 6, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Our offense, minus JCs turnovers, actually showed rythem last week as we out-gained the Eagles by a mile AND scored in the red-zone. That's not good enough for Zorn?What a Dumb-Butt!!

Posted by: wewbank1 | November 7, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse