Portis' future and the salary cap

Portis last renegotiated his contract in March 2008, receiving a signing bonus of almost $9.4 million. By the end of this season, Portis, under the terms of the renegotiated deal, will have been paid more than $2.35 million in salaries and bonuses in addition to his signing bonus. Most of Portis's 2010 base salary of almost $7.2 million is
guaranteed, and he is also due roster and workout bonuses totaling about $507,000.

The Redskins also have "offset" language on the guaranteed portion of his contract. If Washington released Portis and he joined another team next season, the Redskins would receive a credit against his guarantee for any additional salary.

By Jason Reid  |  December 8, 2009; 4:48 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid  | Tags: Clinton Portis
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rosenhaus optimistic about Portis' Redskins future
Next: Offense improving despite missing pieces

Comments

Sheesh... the circus is back in town... cue the calliope...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | December 8, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Who would want him? No one. Only Snyderrato
would have made such a foolish extension.

Posted by: ridgely1 | December 8, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Not many teams would want him with his current contract, but without that contract, several NFL teams would sign CP.

Here's hoping for an uncapped year.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 8, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

More and more bad news. Whatever, it is worth $14 million in cap space to get rid of him.

Posted by: cacla | December 8, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Let's be frank here....

I gaurentee that atleast 30 of the 32 teams in the NFL (Not For Long League) would have dumped Swiss HAm today based off of 2 and one half seasons dating back to the playoffs of 2007. He's a kicker, not too many stay a long time.....

Can we move on. We can't even discuss the great game JC17 had. Some people are ready to annoint him, and I'm like, 'Not sooo fast My Friend.'

HE needs to do what he did consistently for the next 4 games. And possibly give us at least one come from behind victory where he drives the team in for the win with little to no time remaining.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 8, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Just catching up on posts, and I've encountered the MOST RIDICULOUS AND ASININE statement of the season:

"Shaun has performed very well. I'm sure when I talk to him ... I know he'll just be, you know, upset, and he should be. But then yet there's an accountability there. We'll all end up being accountable for our season. No question about it."

!?!?!?!??!!!

Let me tell you who will never ever be held accountable for anything under this regime:

1)Clinton Portis
2)Albert hayneworth
3)Laron Landry
4)DeAngelo Hall

The highest-paid and highest-picked "stars" on the team will never be held accountable for anything.

Posted by: p1funk | December 8, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

"Many in the league believe 2010 will be an uncapped year, but the current system and its rules still are in place. If the Redskins released Clinton Portis before June 1 in 2010, they could face a cap hit of as much as $14.8 million, according to league sources familiar with Portis's contract and the Redskins' cap situation."

Its like the Spaghetti Gang insists on painting itself into corners

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 8, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

That's right, 4thFloor, and please would you get Dannyboy to make you GM/coach? Then it'll be Superbowls for Washington in perpetuity.

Posted by: AncientTerp | December 8, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 4:45 PM

Here is 10 reasons

1. Worst kicker in the league last year
2. Has no range
3. 2 KO's out of bounds
4. KO's are short
5. 18-21 inside of 48yds
6. The season is over and we might as well look to next year, i.e. give Gano a 4 game tryout in actual games
7. Sunday night I could have sworn League Source was dating him
8. He played for the cowboys.
9. Do you have a #6 jersey?
10. Isn't there something else to discuss (argue). i.e. 17, 26, 11, 92, 22, 30, 47, 86, Zorn, the draft, etc.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2009 5:01 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

You forgot to mention that he's Canadian.

Posted by: p1funk | December 8, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

funk - I think you forgot Carlos Rogers for your list

Posted by: edvar | December 8, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Portis haters, Thomas haters, Davis haters, Campbell haters

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Diesel if you think the problem with this team is the kicker you should give Durand brooks a call and have a chat.

Were 2 missed kicks away from being last place anyway

I hope Gano is the best kicker of all time, this just smells like a daaaaaaanny snyder blame someone besides vinny move... Again.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

1)Clinton Portis
2)Albert hayneworth
3)Laron Landry
4)DeAngelo Hall

Posted by: p1funk

Well, put Chris Cooley in there too. We talk about acountability. What did the players do that you named that warranted them being held accountable. And just don't tell me about Portis practicing either.

Posted by: dcwun | December 8, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

This team has started doing better since they have been playing without Portis. If we need to keep him due to his contract then fine, but he doesnt have to start. The Ravens have a similar situation with Mcgahee but they use Ray Rice more. What this team needs is leaders as coaches and in management who will play a guy because he's good and not make the safe bet and play Portis or anyone else (Cooley, Moss, Sellars) based off of what they have done in the past. Have the balls to make the call and go with who can help you win now. Otherwise, how do you know what you have if you don't play em? I may not be the smartest guy in the world but its pretty obvious to me that Fred Davis and Devin Thomas can play and need to touch the ball. Who else do we have who hasnt been given enough of a chance? Rhino? Marko? Barnes? Ganther? I am loving seeing some fresh faces out there breathing new life into this club..I hope they continue getting opportunities and more contributors can be found. This team needs to cut all the fat and paycheck first guys out of the action and play the ballers first... Then see what you have..OK I'm gonna say it. We have talent. We haven't been using it right..

Posted by: scottmando | December 8, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Portis isn't a top back anymore because last years pro bowl 1478 he season doesn't count, because I don't want it to because I'm a player hater

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

You forgot to mention that he's Canadian.

Posted by: p1funk

Aboot that ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 8, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:15 PM

He's on the list of things wrong with the team and is on the top of the list of easiest to dispose of.

Maybe if Gano wears #6, you can just change the name on the back of your jersey.

If you want the last word, go ahead, I just want to move on.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

and who knows??? Jason campbell just might be a good QB after all...I doubt it but we have been so inept as far as offensive coaching and decisions for so long that maybe he's just all screwwed up and they need to let the dude drop back and air it out instead of this pussy ass WCO they been playing..just a thought

Posted by: scottmando | December 8, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:15 PM

If you want the last word, go ahead, I just want to move on.

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

mando we've been playing better since we got Levi jones and sherm lewis, not because portis and cooley are hurt

The way you are looking at it is the way ofbthe hater.

Remember Davis and Thomas have been getting hated on by the post and many posters up here

Just don't be a hater be a supporter

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Stupid interwebs leads to a double post. Damn you Al Gore

Posted by: Diesel44 | December 8, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

deez, the move on champion

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003

I agree with you about Portis. I think we have VERY short memories here. How can we say he's washed up when he's been hurt this year. He'll get healthy and have another stellar year next year.

Also, the running game is better because the line remembered that they are proffesionals. No one can argue that the pass and run protection has been totally different in the last few games.

Posted by: dcwun | December 8, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

pabrian, i agree. LJ has helped out ALOT. we have only given up 2 sacks in the last three games. SL has done great. my point is more that the coaches need to have the confidence in thier decisions to stand up and not be bullied by the so called stars of this team..Portis still has great talent. However he also has a fat bank account, a bad work ethic and now he's paying the price for missing all those practices...he's a bad team player

Posted by: scottmando | December 8, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

we run a WCO? Has anyone seen us stretch the field laterally at any point this season, I haven't

Looks like Gibbs O to me

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:18 PM

What do they say in the investment world?:

"past performance is no guarantee of future reward."

and

"...especially if your RB has demonstrated a significant performance drop-off after thousands of bruising yards and sustained a massive concussion that ended his season after 7 games..."

Portis has been reclassified as a "Junk Bond".

Now...run along and shovel up some stupid stats that - when taken out of context sound impressive, but mean nothing when looked at in the context of the big picture.

Pointing out that a once great player is past his prime and displays declining skills is not hating.

Posted by: edvar | December 8, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

mando I hear u, I just think at the end of the day Portis is our best back.

Danny paid him too much and has failed to replenish the RBs just like the O line.

Riggo had a bad work ethic and wasn't a team guy.

We've over paid a bunch a guys we need them all to do well to succeed. That is the truth. If you want them to fail then the team fails.

If there is a uncapped year then ????

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

7. Sunday night I could have sworn League Source was dating him

Posted by: Diesel44 |

thought it was just me... thought it was ss himself or TE/LS his BFF.

Posted by: bhoang888 | December 8, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

edvar, so do you release your investment and throw the money away, tough guy?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Need a new poll ...

If Portis comes back next year, does he practice during the week?

["PRACTICE!?!?! PRACTICE!?!?! WE'RE TALKIN' PRACTICE!?!?!?]

Posted by: dcsween | December 8, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

You lame ducks feel sorry for these chokers and has-beens.

Remember something dimwits, these athletes get paid a king's ransom for playing a kid's game.

this player deserved better... get the F outta here!

Posted by: bhoang888 | December 8, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: dcsween | December 8, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | December 8, 2009 5:39 PM

If I were making those kinds of calls, I would have never signed him to that contract last spring. I wouldn't put that kind of money into RBs with that many miles on them, but I digress...

What we are stuck with is either way, you have to pay the money, so the question is whether you want to burn the roster spot as well?

If the year is uncapped, yeah, I cut him June 1 and move on. We've done it before with guys like B Lloyd. I think putting the other players on notice that no one is sacred, and performance rules the day might be worth some of that lost salary. I'm also drafting a RB and checking the FA wire well before then.

If it's a capped year, you are kind of stuck. Bring him to camp and see if there's anything left. Mostly, I'm looking at his attitude, because he will not be the feature back in my O anymore and I want to see if he can handle that.

I'd also thank Betts and say goodbye.

Posted by: edvar | December 8, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

i said it last year on these boards, and i'm saying it again now. THIS (2009) IS PORTIS'S LAST YEAR AS A REDSKIN.

his body can't take it anymore, and this was evident last year. his days as a player are numbered. carrying the ball is a young man's game, especially when you are more of a hitter than a dodger.

Posted by: surlydoc | December 8, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse