Portis: 'It's Only a Matter of Time'

As readers of the Insider are well aware, I have been critical of running back Clinton Portis for his poor practice habits and other things.

But Portis really surprised me today with the reasoned approach he took in answering reporters' questions about the struggling team during his weekly group media session at Redskins Park. I usually skip the gatherings because one of my partners on the beat, Rick Maese and Barry Svrluga, usually monitors Portis.

I don't know why I decided to listen to Portis today. But I'm really glad I did.

Portis has been slowed because of bone spurs in his ankles and he bruised his calf Sunday in the 19-14 loss to the Detroit Lions. The problem with his ankles is not a ploy for Portis to avoid practice, several people in the organization have told me, and he's doing things he has never done in an effort to remain in the lineup. The first question was about Portis's ankles, and he played down the pain, saying, "My ankles [are] fine. I'm good."

And from there, the conversation shifted toward the job status of embattled Coach Jim Zorn. In response to being asked if he was worried about Zorn's job, Portis said, "Why would I be worrying about Jim Zorn? I'm worrying about my own job."

Right at that moment, I thought to myself, "uh-oh." Portis has a history of, well, throwing Zorn under the bus, and I thought things were going in that direction again. But Portis didn't go there. Instead, he just made a lot of sense.

He talked about the need for everyone to have a little perspective and patience. "People ready to throw in the towel. It's Week 4 of the NFL season," Portis said. "There's a lot of teams in the same situation as us. But because we've had close games with the Rams and Lions, it's like, 'Oh, we [stink].' For us as a team, we know the talent that we have, and I think we have an opportunity to go and do something special.

"We've still got a long season ahead of us. Just like last year when we were 6-2. We didn't win the Super Bowl at 6-2. It took us to get to 16 games and we realized we wasn't going to the playoffs at Week 16, Week 17. Our season's not over. We got to continue to go out and play."

Portis has a uniquely close relationship with owner Daniel Snyder, so I asked Portis about Snyder's frustration level because of the disappointing 1-2 start that includes being the team the lowly Lions defeated to end their losing streak at 19 games.

"I think everybody over here frustrated," Portis said. "When you have the opportunity ... I mean, it's the NFL, man. You can't look and say, 'Oh, this a win, this a win, that's a win.' But when you got the opportunity to win games and you lose 'em. We [Portis and reporters] talked about that after the Rams.

"It was like, 'Oh, you guys played the Rams so close and almost lost.' But we won. Then we go to Detroit and we lose, it's like, 'If only you all would have won by one.' Now that we've lost, it's okay if we would have barely beat the Lions. It's always going to be something. We've just got to find a way to come out and win games."

Portis was asked if everyone is on the same page. One of the worst things about a situation like this is that we're going to be hearing about "pages" for a while. It's a question that always irks me because everyone isn't always in agreement on successful teams. But I digress.

Anyway, Portis said it's not about dissension in the locker room. Again, the Redskins have played only three games "and I don't think people feel like we far off. We go and watch film as a team; we see where we go wrong. It's not like there's some bickering in the locker room and guys like, 'This guy [stink]. And this guy can't play. And we need to get rid of him.' We know where we go wrong. That's why it's so easy to come here and have hope and say that. We know we're going to get it right.

"It's only a matter of time that the plays we miss out on we hit. You know? You take everything that happened in that game [against Detroit]. We score on the goal line, we win. Despite every other play that happened in that game, it's one play that can change the game."

Portis isn't a "rah-rah" guy, and he doesn't need to be encouraged. His mindset is just fine, he said.

"We got 20 people walking around the locker room with "hoo-rah" talk, pumping guys up, 'Let's do it, we can do it.' It's Week [4]," Portis said. "I don't think it take a hoo-rah talk and I don't think it take pumping up a guy or putting the guy in the car let's go have a one-on-one. I think we just got to go out and make plays. I don't think this is the time to panic. Some people say, 'Let's not panic, we gonna be all right.' But they walking around, 'Come on, baby, we need you, we need you.' I mean, everybody on this team knows what they accountable for. Everybody on the team know that we need you.

"I would hate for a guy to come to me, 'Come on, C.P, baby, you know, stick with us.' I'm sticking with you. I'm going to give you everything I've got. It's only a matter of time before I have a 200-yard game. It's only a matter of time before I have a 150-yard game. It's only a matter of time before I get two or three touchdowns. It's just the fact, 'When is it coming?' I know it's coming but when? It's like, 'Can you tell me are you going to have a 150-yard Sunday?' I would love to have 150 yards Sunday. But If I don't, I'm not going to say I'm going to quit football."

By Jason Reid  |  September 30, 2009; 2:32 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Afternoon Practice Update
Next: R. Thomas Looks for Humor in His Hurt

Comments

Before what?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 30, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

LETS ALL ADD "FIRE SNYDERRATO OR GET YOUR CERRATO OUT OF YOUR BUTT" TO THE END OF EACH POST!!! I BET WE CAN GET 100% OF THE FANS TO AGREE.
I WILL GO FIRST...

FIRE SNYDERRATO OR GET YOUR CERRATO OUT OF YOUR BUTT!!!

Posted by: BarackObama | September 30, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I would be so much more encouraged if I was hearing from playas

"Yeah we stink right now. We dont block/tackle/run/pass/hit/think real well. We got to get better, start making plays, It starts with me, taking care of what my job/role is and trying to my part to make team better. If we can all do that than we can improve. We aren't better, we got to get better"

Posted by: chrislarry | September 30, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I think you are mad/upset when you care. I was a die-hard fan, and I am reaching a state of acute indifference with this team, its QB, "Mr. Burns" and "Smithers".

Whatever...

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | September 30, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I hope all of you folks pushing a “sales-boycott” realize that Snyder (or most owners for that matter) won’t sell the team. He would move it to another city that is hungry for a team and willing to pay. Please keep in mind that he loves the Hollywood scene (Tom Cruise) and LA is looking for a team, and the NFL wants a team in LA…….there is also the fact that if everyone cancels their season tix and the games don’t sell out, that there would be blackouts and you wouldn’t even be able to watch them on tv until they move to LA (unless you live in a different market). That’s a real genius plan, that boycott thing.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 30, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"It's only a matter of time that the plays we miss out on we hit. You know?"

No, the other team scouts the Redskins too.
It's not a matter of time, when you are a finesse team and you don't do anything different than you've been doing for 19 games. It's not a matter of time. It's not a matter of effort. It's coaching, play design, play selection, and using personnel to advantage. These things the Redskins are not doing well.

Campbell: When are you going to hit one of those big pass plays at the beginning of a game? You missed Brandon Lloyd. You missed Santana Moss long. You missed Santana Moss short. You missed Malcolm Kelly. Stop talking about getting it right and GET IT RIGHT!!! You need to start hitting those shots or you are going to be third string in Oakland!!!

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | September 30, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1,
Look beyond Campbell's misleading stats for a minute. A lot of his completions are on 3rd and long and they come up short because he is taking the safe, underneath stuff that does not yield a first down! From Sunday's game I count five times where the Redskins were in third and long and Campbell threw a completion that was short of yard marker! The Redskins third down efficiency on Sunday was 20%. The majority of his completions are against soft zones fronted by a team holding onto a lead.

I don't understand why people are saying he is playing well. He threw an interception on Sunday, could easily have had another intercepted, fumbled twice, and was largely ineffective for the entire first half. How is that good? A quarterback's job is to score points. From where I stood, the Redskins had scored zero points at the end of the first half and two touchdowns when the other team was playing to conserve a lead. Campbell has thrown for three touchdowns in three games. Drew Brees, on the other hand, has thrown for nine. Campbell is not a good quarterback. I would argue he could be good enough for the Redskins to win, but not for this coach.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 2:44 PM

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 30, 2009 2:51 PM

That's a frightening possibility.

Posted by: will_ga | September 30, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Portis says the team has great talent, but he's mostly just thinking of skill positions.

The offensive line got MANHANDLED by Detroit on Sunday. Portis should know that better than anyone else-- he had ZERO yards in the first half!

Meanwhile the defensive secondary (most notably Carlos Rogers) got torched by a baby-faced QB who spent his preseason duck-taped to a goal post.

This roster has big gaping holes (on the O-Line more than anywhere) and who put it all together? Vinny Cerrato and his Fantasy Football manager Dan Snyder.

Snyder: Wake the @$%$#% up!! FIRE VINNY! He's incompetent. Get a REAL GM in here and then stay out of his way!

FIRE VINNY! FIRE VINNY! FIRE VINNY!

Posted by: drischord | September 30, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1,

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Actually, I did say that Campbell's stats were better than his play, was a late night post yesterday. One stat that might shock you ... Campbell is 2nd in the league at % of pass attempts for a 1st down.

Still, its worth noting that the Skins had 3 1st half possession vs DET, all 3 resulted in the Skins having a 4th and 1. Two punts and the infamous failure to score.

I don't think Campbell had a good game vs DET or the jints, but he was good vs the Rams. What frustrated me a lot was that the DET DL got more pressure on JC than our DL got on Stafford.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

dlhaze1:

Then the Jaguars move to DC. We are a big enough market to have an NFL team and there won't be a vacancy for very long.

There's nothing to stop Danny from moving to LA right now, if he wants to. It's got nothing to do with a boycott.

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | September 30, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Its funny that the best play at the new Dallas stadium was made in the bathroom. Won't post the link because its not safe for work, but the video is at Deadspin. Gotta say they do have roomy stalls there.

Posted by: will_ga | September 30, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

If the bone spurs keep acting up and continues to hurt his playability he just should be honest with everyone and go on IR for the season and spend the off season trying to get healthy. Or platoon him heavily.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 30, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

You really are a genious just like Snyderrato.... Move the team from 7th largest TV market with a great fan base that pays all this money for the crappy product of the last 10 years, and move to a city that didn't support its team when it had one. Great plan!!!!

really man, get your Cerrato out of your butt!!!

Posted by: BarackObama | September 30, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"Its so funny to read the constant "We need to throw to this guy more or that guy more". Campbell has the 5th best completion % in the league and the only way you get that is to throw to open players. I want my QB to throw to the open guy. I don't care which guy that is -- or if its different from week to week."

Posted by: zcezcest1

Thank god someone else pointed this out.

Posted by: psps23

God and me are often confused, mostly by my girlfriend.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

you know whats anoying. The Rollover adds on the top of the screen here. If you try and select anything from the bar above and click it just pops out the add and nothing from what you clicked pops out.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 30, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

---

Campbell def needs to get better as in going for the first on third down. Part if that is also the receivers not getting past the sticks. Cooley did it once, moss did it once, they need to know where the first down is and Campbell needs to realize who is past the line.

Posted by: nami322 | September 30, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing to stop Danny from moving to LA right now, if he wants to.
Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | September 30, 2009 2:57 PM

You sure about that? I don't want to come off as a "prove-it" guy, and I'm not sure myself, but aren't there usually contracts with the cities that the teams play in. Maybe this is a dumb comparison, but like in the movie Major League, the team had to drop below a certain attendance before the team could move? Again, not sure though.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 30, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES

again brought to you by the fine people at Yahoo!

Part 1:
No shortage of perspective this week.

Some quick Q&A. Is Zorn in trouble? Are the Skins unwittingly in the middle of youth movement? Is this team Vinny's fault? Did the refs rob us? Is Portis done? Is Albert a bust? The answers are: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Maybe and Not so far.

Now onto perspective.

Since the start of the 2008 season, the Rams and Lions have combined to play 38 games, including 4 games vs the Redskins. Their W/L record?

vs the Redskins
2-2

vs the rest of the NFL
1-33

All 4 games vs the league's drek were close. The 12 point lead Detroit built on Sunday (19-7) was the equal to the largest lead the Redskins have had during the entire Zorn era (ironically, our 12 point lead came last year vs Detroit). Detroit played the better game, despite injuries to their top LB and and their top RB, who was having a huge game.

How did it go in the trenches, where most games are won and lost? Kevin Smith had bigger holes to run thru than Portis did and Stafford had more time to throw than Campbell did. I expect modest things from our OL, but the DL was a huge disappointment.

This week, our defense reached crisis level. 4 long drives, including a 99 yard TD drive mocked what was supposed to be the heart of this team.

Which brings me to this week's theme. Heart.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-al

I thought he grew up a Redskins fan and loves the Skins. Why would he ever move them? Then they wouldn't be the "Washington Redskins" anymore. I don't think any legitimate fan would want to move the team.

Posted by: REXskins | September 30, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES
part 2

During the Zorn era, the Skins record vs the 2 teams that played in the NFC championship game last year (AZ and philly) is 3-0.

So how can you beat the some of the best teams and lose to the worst?

Heart.

I've been one of the few who has suggested that character matters while noting personnel moves that had the potential to diminish the character of this team. In the games immediately after Sean Taylor's death, the Redskins accomplished a rarity, they became more than the sum of their parts. They had heart. That heart left the building in 2008 (I cited the week leading up to the Cincy loss as the final nail) and it simply isn't here in 2009.

A 99 yard drive by a rookie QB vs this defense was unthinkable last year. Not this year. That's a lack of heart, not just a foolish coaching move.

Which brings me to the question of the hour, what to do with Jim Zorn? I've stated my concerns on Zorn early and often. But firing Zorn isn't a plan. Others up here have suggested bringing in a guy like Holmgren for a week or two to diagnose the issues and find fixes. I'm on board. While some might see this as undercutting Zorn, the short and sweet is that Zorn isn't cutting it as a HC. The decision to help Zorn develop with some mentoring from a friend may prove useful. Either Zorn improves a bunch or Zorn is toast. Might as well help him. ... because firing Zorn won't mean you've solved the HC problem. Or any other problem. Firing Zorn would be a tactic when what is needed is a strategy.

But stratagery has never been the strong suit of Dan Snyder or Vinny Cerrato.

And that is it for week 3 of ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES, as always again brought to you by the finest people at Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-al

Not gonna happen. No rivers, so no trees to cut down for a better view.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Portis is a rambling cliche. He repeats the same jumble every week. And yes, his job is on the line because he's not very good. Glad Snyder made him the highest paid running back in the league. That was fiscally brilliant.

Posted by: matthewrayman | September 30, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

It's been like this for years and nothing has changed.

Don't drink the Kool-Aid man.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | September 30, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead,

While Campbell certainly hasn't been brilliant, he simply isn't the problem; the line is. (And the playcalling.)

Ask any quarterback in the league to compensate for ZERO yards rushing in the first half. See what you get.

The Redskins have one lineman (Samuels) who ranks among the Top 10 at his position. Rabach is maybe in the Top 15. None are in the Top 5. And Stephon Heyer might be the worst starting tackle in the NFL. The coaching staff has no faith in him; watch the way the plays are designed to shift the action away from Heyer.

This is what happens when you have a court jester for a GM. Vinny Cerrato has no idea how to draft linemen. (He usually doesn't even try.) He's a disgrace to his job.

FIRE VINNY!
FIRE VINNY!
FIRE VINNY!

Posted by: drischord | September 30, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1,
Yes, protection is another problem for the passing game; however, I was really surprised to look at the number of times Campbell threw short of the yard marker on third down. I realize that the WCO is partially about YAC, but when you strike out five times you might want to consider just throwing the ball past the marker. Clearly the receivers cannot get the extra yards to make the first down.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead -- this is what I wrote yesterday ...

Campbell is 9th in passer rating, tied with a bunch for 9th in fewest INTs, 9th in yds/attempt, 5th in completion %, tied for 18th in TD throws, 2nd in % of first downs per pass attempt and 3rd among QBs in rushing yards.

I'll be the first to admit Campbell's rankings exceed his overall play by a good bit, but for Harrison to call Campbell a backup is just silly. The guy is top 10 in too many areas to toss him into the backup bin.

Remember, Harrison, along with all the other broadcasters, are trying to watch 7 games at a time. How many plays is he really watching? I'm guessing he sees mostly highlights, which have been few and far between for the Skins.

Posted by: zcezcest1

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: matthewrayman | September 30, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

You do realize that the best player in the league at his position isn't always going to be the highest paid.

And I guess 1400+ rushing yds last year wasn't very good. Or the fact that he rushed for more yards than AP during his 1st 2 seasons means he was never very good. And since he will pass Riggo's yardage in fewer years with a worse line than Riggo must have been garbage.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 30, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Stop telling me how good the team is, just show how good you are on Sundays during the season and the playoffs... if you ever reach them. This is just more talk, and no action. The same stuff i hear every year.

Posted by: Burrasta1 | September 30, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

RedSkinHEad,
I have to agree. Aren't the defensive players going to line up to prevent exactly that kind of play? Especially, since Zorn seems to consistently call that kind of WCO pattern.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 30, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Portis: It's only a matter of time before I have a 150-yard game. It's only a matter of time before I get two or three touchdowns.

This comment reminds me of our great RB, Larry Brown predicting he was going to have a 1,000 yard rushing season after coming back from knee injury. Brown struggled and retired after that year.

Not sure if Portis is slowing down or if its the OL struggling ... or both. But I know that RBs are the last to realize when they no longer have it. I'm hoping CP is right and he's still got lots of big days ahead of him. But I also know that at some point, his confidence won't correspond with reality. When? I don't know.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 30, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Why oh why do people not understand Zorn's tree of the WCO. It frustrate me on Sunday to watch the Redskins execute the plays, and it frustrates me during the week to read "but they cam up a yard short of the first." Anywho isn't Campbell among the league leaders in converting 3rds via the air. (Oh yeah that is a silly useless stat...)

Posted by: TWISI | September 30, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

all bark no bite from this team, i will believe they are as good as they say when they take a team like the Giants to the woodshed and follow it up with more wins.

Posted by: Burrasta1 | September 30, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Portis, Campbell, Zorn and the offense might feel like things are getting close (or better), but I would posit the defense is getting decidedly worse. They ranked #4 last year, and they rank #17 right now. Zero takeaways from the Lions?

This team is not going to suddenly turn into an offensive juggernaut, that's not the team's identity.

Just like Pittsburgh would not be a SB team without their awesome defense, and the Skins will not be competitive without a top 5 defense.

Regression of the defense is what's really killing this team at this point.

Posted by: Alan4 | September 30, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

drischord,
I would actually prioritize the Redskins' problems in this order:

1. Coaching
2. Quarterback
3. Offensive line
4. Lack of running game (more to do with #2 than the backs)
5. Wide receivers

I think the team can win with Campbell, but I don't think he's that good. If I were Vinny and I had to make the decision on whether or not to keep Campbell next season, I would say let him go. A team can win with him, and some team running a conservative scheme next year might just do that, but he doesn't fit in the WCO.

As for the line, they gave him time to make most of the throws, but they really didn't run block very well. Part of that is on Portis, however. I don't know if it's his injuries or if he is just getting old, but he hasn't run the same since he broke that long one at the beginning of the Giants game. I would like to see them sit CP this weekend so we can get an idea whether it's the line not holding their blocks, or the running back not getting to the hole before it closes. I'd love to see Mason and Aldridge both get carries this weekend. I especially want to see Aldridge on a sweep or screen where he can use his speed in space. If they can get the running game going, then the pass rushing will quiet down, and everything up front will become a little more manageable.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

only one stat matters... winning, but when you are playing fatasy football like vinny, the only stat that matters is the payrole.

Posted by: Burrasta1 | September 30, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

denial and obfruscation. And it's sad to see it from m'boi CPo.

Nobody's cryin' on the team?!~ why the SJK not?!

You KNOW what you're doing wrong?! REALLY?? Not that I've seen. 'Cause that would mean you're just not that good. So which is it? You don't know what you're doing? or you aren't very good? You can't have neither. You can have both.

So sick of the team sweeping it under the carpet.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

1. Coaching
2. Quarterback
3. Offensive line
4. Lack of running game (more to do with #2 than the backs)
5. Wide receivers

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

The problem is that you think we should have this awesome offense when we just dumped all of our resources into our defense. That is why the offense sucks. It is supposed to suck. The defense is suppposed to be dominant. That is the real issue here. Stop bashing the offense. They aren't suppsoed to be good. The defense is supposed to be making plays. We should be getting 15 drives a game not 10. We should also be getting a lot of short fields to work with. We aren't getting that either. We still have no pass rush and our secondary is giving up way too many plays. The offense is actually playing at the level they should be. The defense is way too talented and expensive to be playing at #17 in the NFL. We built this to be a defense first team so stop blaming the offense for everything.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 30, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"I have been critical of running back Clinton Portis for his poor practice habits"

" I usually skip the gatherings because one of my partners on the beat, Rick Maese and Barry Svrluga, usually monitors Portis."

you write for the skins and you skip Portis' press conference AND your critical of HIM

Does anyone else have a problem with this. Are you a journalist or just some shmo?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

word...Burrasta1...word

Posted by: chrislarry | September 30, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Pardon me if I dismiss Clinton Portis like he dismisses verbs and infinitives.

In football, we can only judge a season as it transpires - we have no crystal ball to look ahead and to anticipate improvement. All we have is a resume built upon the progress of the season.

And pardon me, Clinton, the resume ain't pretty.

The New York Giant game was typical of the Redskins - even Joe Gibbs had a hard time winning in NJ. I can't base much on this other than the offense couldn't score and the defense couldn't stop the Giants. Stupid penalities transpired at the worst of times.

The game against the Rams certainly counts as a win and would have been at least as tasty if it had been done with some skill on defense. The Rams were able to move the ball at will on us and once again we could barely score enough to win. We aren't talking about looking like the Ravens of old with a defense that stifled and an offense that sputtered. We are talking half-stepping on both sides of the ball.

Against the Lions, perhaps this was a trap game and perhaps the Lions wanted this more than the Redskins - and that is what makes this one so distasteful. Everyone knew the Lions were gunning for us and even Mr. Portis wasn't bringing his A-Game to Ford field. Yeah, he was hurting. Thinking about practice and preseasons has a cummulative injury effect on everyone!

But still, a victory by 1, as Sheriff Gonna Phone it In said, would have been met with contempt - that is because we were told this team was better than this and other teams gave the Lions a better fight. Yet, when our defense couldn't stop grandmothers from crossing the line of scrimmage and when our receivers couldn't hold onto passes or our quarterback still doesn't know the concept to touch on a football pass, we are wondering why our payroll is so much higher than everyone elses'.

Let's be blunt here - the offense has been installed for over a year - the defense has been nearly the same for five years save for changes in some personnel. We aren't talking about rookies being the ones failing - we are talking about high priced professionals who can't pick their arses up each week and who continue to lecture the fans on "we're getting there!". Well, excuse me if that lecture is now falling on deaf ears. We are tired of promise only to be stifled by the reality that Redskins' players are lazy, overpaid, and don't give a flying monkey about giving a 100%. All you guys do are to make excuses and to promise us more!

Three games into this season looks an awful lot like eight games last season and you aren't playing the Pittsburgh Steelers, Dallas Cowboys, or the Philadelphia Eagles. You were playing the Rams and the Lions - hardly resume material and hardly a reason to explain why each weren't blown out.

Listen here, Portis - if you want your fans' respect - you do it the old-fashioned way - you earn it. And try to find a verb when you talk.

Posted by: laserwizard | September 30, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

TWISI,
West Coast Offense or Jimmy's CrackHead Sandlot Offense, if you don't convert on third down, you end up punting and punting doesn't score points. The Redskins threw short of the yard marker five times on Sunday. Now, the WCO would dictate the receiver gets by the defender and runs the rest of the distance for the first down (yards after the catch YAC). That's not happening. I think teams have figured that out and you can't be effective with that crap in a two deep zone defense because the corner will slow you down just long enough for the safety to kill you. Run the receivers deeper, I say. Save that underneath stuff for first and second down.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

F yeah Portis
F yeah

The fans quit when they boooed victory

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: laserwizard

In reality we can only judge a season when it is over

are you telling me you knew the 5-6, 2007 was going to win 5 in a row and make the playoffs.

how dare you criticize Portis

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

could you survive 1 carry in the NFL?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

could you survive 1 carry in the NFL?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

---

umm i dont think anybody here said they could.

Posted by: nami322 | September 30, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"could you survive 1 carry in the NFL?"

Yes. And Portis sucks.

Posted by: richard_cranium | September 30, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

September 30 3:36 ET
The Bucs' 31st-ranked defense might have a slightly different look Sunday against the Redskins. DE Tim Crowder and LB Adam Hayward are expected to get more snaps after showing progress in limited playing time.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

The FANS quit?!... The fans mighta been able to put 6 on that Rams D. The team sure wasn't.

The fans booing was holding this team accountable, which they won't do for themselves.

Players need to know - play hard & well and you'll get support. It's not the WINS - it's the EFFORT!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

first play on offense...

statue of liberty play...

book it!

Posted by: carsonspence | September 30, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 3:33 PM |

I agree with this, but I fail to see how it's Campbell's fault if the play's execution is to really on YAC for the conversion. Granted I wasn't there, and I didn't receive my copy of the coaching tape, but unless Campbell had WR beyond the 1st marker, the fault lies within the play called. Moreover the fact the Campbell is among the league leaders in 3rd conversion via the pass doesn't support you theory about Campbell.

Posted by: TWISI | September 30, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

umm doesn't mean I can't ask it

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan17,
What are you talking about? The offense is "supposed to be bad"??? They signed Dockery to a high dollar contract and drafted three receivers in the second round last year. They had one of the best running backs in the NFL last year. Why would I expect them to be bad???? Last I heard it takes offense, defense and special teams to win football games. I remember Zorn telling us in the preseason that the offense was coming together. Yeah, right.

As for the defense, they've given up four touchdowns in three games (remember, there was one more that the offense gave up against NYG). They've given up five field goals. They're giving up an average of 14 points a game. Most teams can win on that. Yes, I will be the first to agree that the defense has played badly, but still, they have only given up 14 points a game on average. That is not bad. What did you expect from the defense? Negative points?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle

child pleeeeze. NO NO NO the fans who booed didn't respect the effort, because the effort was congruent with what was required to win, and the fans boooed. The fans who booed only understand TD's and that ain't understanding football and effort.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"I've been one of the few who has suggested that character matters while noting personnel moves that had the potential to diminish the character of this team. In the games immediately after Sean Taylor's death, the Redskins accomplished a rarity, they became more than the sum of their parts. They had heart. That heart left the building in 2008"
-posted by one of the many inconsequential retards on this blog

The skins actually lost the first game after 21's death.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 30, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

RedHed, that's 14 avg. where two of the teams are the RAMS & the LIONS...!

[:- |

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"could you survive 1 carry in the NFL?"

Yes. And Portis sucks.

Posted by: richard_cranium

yeah right, i would like to see that, you would get meat plowed, maybe you'd SURVIVE, but you'd be a mangled mess

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

September 30 3:38 ET
DE Gaines Adams missed practice today with a minor groin injury. Coach Raheem Morris said he hopes to have Adams available for practice on Thursday.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-al

People in DC will be pissed but I live in LA area so I will be happy (I think).

Posted by: TheJury | September 30, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"the fans who booed didn't respect the effort, because the effort was congruent with what was required to win, and the fans boooed"

pabrian = idiot

This is Washington son- every year the fans are sold an image of a team that is a playoff contender and on the verge of a superbowl appearance. The booing from fans is thier reaction to finally having enough of the smoke and mirrors. It's built up over 10 years now.

Posted by: richard_cranium | September 30, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

could you survive 1 carry in the NFL?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

---

umm i dont think anybody here said they could.

Posted by: nami322 | September 30, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"could you survive 1 carry in the NFL?"

Yes. And Portis sucks.

Posted by: richard_cranium | September 30, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

didn't take long for someone to say they could, LOL

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

" would be so much more encouraged if I was hearing from playas"Yeah we stink right now. We dont block/tackle/run/pass/hit/
think real well. We got to get better, start making plays, It starts with me, taking care of what my job/role is and trying to my part to make team better. If we can all do that than we can improve. We aren't better, we got to get better"Posted by: chrislarry"

In other words, you prefer people to BS you.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 30, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

September 30 3:31 ET
Redskins coach Jim Zorn on whether he's concerned about his job: "Now why would I be concerned about my job after three games?"

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

could you survive 1 carry in the NFL?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Most here probably wouldn't last a quarter in the NFL let alone a season or multiple seasons.

Still that doesn't mean they can't have an opinion.

The thing that gets me is the people that post up like "oh he sucks" without adding anything else to the conversation.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 30, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 3:48 PM So its okay to play only as hard as necessary to win? That's a winning attitude for you.That effort was congruent with loser ball dude.

Posted by: will_ga | September 30, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead
__________________________

And not without a very good to excellent O-line, which would (help) compensate for his slow clockspeed and wind-up. Fully agree, he's a back-up at best.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 30, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

September 30 3:22 ET
CB Carlos Rogers on the Redskins' defensive struggles: "Because we've come out of the gates slow, we don't have that swagger. We have to come together and correct a few things and we'll get there."

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

pabrian = idiot

Posted by: richard_cranium

your name is appropriate, the fans buy that BS every year and can't come to their own conclusions? You are only proving my point that the fans who booed are sheep, that want TD's. Snyder clones

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

As I read these posts and reflect on this team as a whole, I really do not understand how anybody can blame this on Campbell. He has played well considering what he has to work with. All I ever hear from my friends (most of them Giants fans) is how terrible Campbell is. I have no doubt that if JC was on a well-run team with a cast of players in place around him (such as the Giants O'Line) he would be amongst the elite QB's in this leauge. He has never been given the opportunity to get comfortable due to the constant chages with the personnel and offensive system. He only needs some consistency and will be an above average QB for years to come. I can only hope it will be with the Skins.

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | September 30, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

September 30 3:36 ET
Redskins coach Jim Zorn on whether he is becoming more involved with the defense and coordinator Greg Blache: "We've had a few discussions, but Greg and I have been pretty much on the same page."

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 30, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

"The skins actually lost the first game after 21's death.Posted by: BMACattack"

That's right -- and declared it the lowest point in their history.

Then they won four in a row.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 30, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Brian, I know that wasn't the case in my crib and we were booing loud.

I don't mind a good loss and I'll take an ugly win.

But those boos were a LONG time comin' and weren't limited to that game. They were booing everything we're talking about up here.

They weren't about THAT game. They were about this team - this coarch, this QB and the fact that they just don't give a SJK.

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 30, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead
__________________________

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 30, 2009 3:55 PM

The statistics do not support your opinions of Campbell

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

pabrian-
seriously, you're an idiot.

Posted by: richard_cranium | September 30, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

people who blame it on Campbell and Portis are little mini danny snyder clones

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

4th, thanks for those updates, I appreciate the info....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 30, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I expect the defense to make the Lions punt more than once in the first half. I also expect the defense to not allow 3 drives of over 80 yards in 1 half. I also expect them not to let the Lions have the damned ball for 22 minutes. You only care about the final point total but you completely disregard time of posession. We can't score if we don't have the ball.

You really have to be kidding about the offensive investments right?

$100 million dollars in a DT while we have an udrafted FA starting at right tackle.

Let's just look at the last few drafts.
2009
2005
1st Carlos Rogers
1st Jason Campbell
2005
1st Sean Taylor
3rd Chris Cooley

That's 4 first rounders on defense and 1 late first rounder on offense.

Albert Haynesworth and Denagelo Hall got $160 worth of contracts. London Fletcher, Andre Carter, and Fred Smoot were also brought in to help the defense.

The offense hasn't seen anywhere near that kind of attention.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 30, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this out of the way: FIRE CERRATO!

Ok...I have been upset at the QB play. However, motivated by an above post:

Campbell #9 in the league (All NFL) in passing yards. Ahead of Eli, Romo, Kolb.
#5 in passing %. Ahead of Eli, Romo, Kolb.
#2 in first down %. Ahead of Eli, Romo, Kolb.
#9 in QB rating. Behind Eli, Ahead of Romo and Kolb.
#9 in Ints. Behind Eli, Ahead of Romo and Kolb.

What does this mean...Do we have the 2nd best QB in the division??? Is the problem NOT the QB??? Maybe we aren't as bad as the blogosphere would lead us to believe???

I am fully aware of statistics (lies, damn lies, and statistics). But after this week and all this. I'm tired. No more complaining. No more fire Vinny...ok maybe more of that. But I'm done for this week. I'm going to watch the game and root for the team this Sunday. However, if they lose...

Posted by: sanantonioredskin | September 30, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we could trade Campbell to Carolina for John Fox? Then we trade next year's 1st rd pick to Philly for Michael Vick. Then they can play "Who Let the Dogs out" every time he gets on the field. Cause, really, that song just never gets old.

Posted by: will_ga | September 30, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

rick head, wake up and smell 2009. If you no longer believe in your team then take a break.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 30, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Campbell #9 in the league (All NFL) in passing yards. Ahead of Eli, Romo, Kolb.
#5 in passing %. Ahead of Eli, Romo, Kolb.
#2 in first down %. Ahead of Eli, Romo, Kolb.
#9 in QB rating. Behind Eli, Ahead of Romo and Kolb.
#9 in Ints. Behind Eli, Ahead of Romo and Kolb.

What does this mean...Do we have the 2nd best QB in the division???
Posted by: sanantonioredskin

How can you not decipher what this means? It means Campbell is good you knuckle heads!

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 30, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 3:33 PM |

Posted by: TWISI

You are right. I don't know if it was the play called, or if it was Campbell. I do know that there were receivers deeper on most of those plays, and Campbell is checking off, right? As for Campbell's first down percentage, I only see a stat for first down percentage on NFL.com. That could come on any down, not necessarily third down. If you have a different set of stats, tell me where to find them.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 30, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 30, 2009 3:55 PM |

So what if he's a back up. Who on this team is better? Collins a career back up QB. Offer something other than the usual refrain up here. Campbell is the best option for the skins to win this year. Going forward he might not be, particularly if there is a new coach. But for now, Campbell's play is not what is causing the skins to loose games. When did skins fan become so annoyingly boring?

Posted by: TWISI | September 30, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

This weekend for those going to the game. When they play "Hey you Suck!" Can every one face snyders box and point at him when we do it!!! PLEASE!! I really think he is in his own world that he doesn't even know that literally EVERY SKINS FAN HATES HIM..

Posted by: cromag23 | September 30, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

There's nothing to stop Danny from moving to LA right now, if he wants to.
Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | September 30, 2009 2:57 PM

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 30, 2009 3:01 PM
*********

Just ask Al Davis. You can sue the city you're leaving, sue the city you're moving to, sue the league, sue the world .. and they all just throw money at you.

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | September 30, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I would say that the fans paid for the right to boo the product the Skins put on the field against the Rams. And the product was worse the following week. If the same product is displayed on Sunday against the Bucs, then the fans again will have paid for the right to boo.

4th, let me add my voice to greg's...thanks for the info...

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 30, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

There is no doubt that JC17 can make plays...it's the red zone efficiency that limits him. They need to get more dynamic in the red zone...that's where Zorn comes in.

Good, Bad, or Indifferent, he has to truct Campbell to make the pplays, and not call a play that does not maximize his skillset. He is a pretty mobile guy. I dont see alot of roll-outs or bootlegs coming from the offense.

We need to leave the pestrian stuff aside and start taking some real shots out there.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 30, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

unfortunately it's our defense that is the main problem, that is terrible to say, all 3 games our O has never had a chance to get into a rhythm b/c our D can't get off the field on 3rd downs, im not saying our o is any good, actually they kinda suck right now, it's just the d is so disappointing it hurts. honestly, if barnes can't do a better job than smoot, something is seriously wrong, ive always liked smoot, but he sucks now and barnes has to be better than smoot at this pt and if he isnt, jesus, just terrible

also i will be changing my name to todaysskins14, b/c retroskins14 is giving too much credit to an organization that presently is complete garbage and it's time i face the facts, so if you want to hate somebody hate me, b/c im the Skins in the now and i suck

Posted by: retroskins14 | September 30, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drischord
_________________________

I absolutely agree that the O-line is far and away the # 1 problem for the offense, and I'm pretty sure playcalling is 2nd.

But I disagree whenever someone indicates there's only one or two problems, which there seldom is for any football team, with 22 positions and all the other complexity. JC is definitely a problem, he's a back-up level QB, so we need to try to upgrade there as soon as we get an opportunity (this offseason). He's had enough time to show he's special, and he's not. We want a QB that can (from time to time, if not frequently) win games despite a poor O-line, or despite poor performances from the other skill players.

But a competent O-line would allow even a mediocre or poor QB to score enough points for us to win, given the Skins defense (which, despite its problems in the secondary, is doing a decent job in limiting opponents' points), and also strengthen our defense by allowing it to rest.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 30, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

And I gotta say, the bend-don't-break low-pressure D that Blache is running drives me bonkers. Give me a Grilliams/LeBeau-style, unpredictable, frequently blitzing, pressure D anytime over that. QB's need to get hit frequently, no matter what, and they need to be seeing different, confusing defensive alignments constantly... in order to reduce their comfort level and recognition capabilities.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 30, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 30, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Look around the NFL. JC is actually mediocre starting caliber talent. Not every team has a Tom Brady.

Currently he's ranked about 10th and he is usually about 15th. He's an ok QB on a crappy team. Is he really worse than Kyle Orton, Jake Delhomme, Jamarcus Russel, Brady Quinn, Matt Stafford, Matt Cassel, Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Ben Roethlisberger, Marc Bulger, Shawn Hill, Matt Hasselbeck, Byron Leftwich, Kerry Collins, Trent Edwards, Chad Pennington, or David Garrard? If all those guys can start then why is Jason Campbell considered backup quality?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 30, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

"That’s a real genius plan, that boycott thing.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 30, 2009 2:51 PM"

dlhaze1, in a "normal" economy, I'd DEFINITELY agree with you.

But ummm, California is no way in hell able to support another stadium.

They're looking for corporate sponsors to help provide school lunches. You think the Governator is smooth enough to finess THAT by the poeple? Californians are idiots, but I don't think even THEY are THAT dumb.

There's a snowball's chance in Tempe (during July) of them getting funding for infrastructure upgrades for any of the existing pits...ummm, I mean stadiums in the state, much less funds to build a stadium itself?

Do you think Danny is going to foot that kind bill out of pocket? Not so much.

He'll never sell the team unless he finds something shinier he wants to buy...but he sure as heck ain't moving it anywhere other than Toronto in the current economy (read: next 5 years) either...good luck in the Great White North, eh Danny?

Hail to the Toronto Inuits !!!!!

Posted by: ThinkingMan | September 30, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 30, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

laserwizard: "Pardon me if I dismiss Clinton Portis like he dismisses verbs and infinitives."

I doubt Portis speaks any different now than he ever did. It's a reporter who's decided not to dress it up in Wapo English.

Which is what they traditionally did. I noticed the change a month or so ago. Maybe they're trying for verisimilitude.

Of course, I imagine Clinton Portis isn't that impressed by your grammar, either LOL...

Posted by: Samson151 | September 30, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DLHAZE

Congress will let this happen right after they give up their reserved parking at National, er, Reagan National Airport.

Posted by: TheCork | September 30, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Portis has a good attitude and talent. The problem is Danny. Danny. Danny.

Posted by: kls1 | September 30, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

regarding fear of boycott since since he might move the team.

No. No. No. Stop putting money in Danny's hands.

Posted by: kls1 | September 30, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Portis: 'It's Only a Matter of Time'

Dude would be a whole lot more convincing if he walked the walk. Trouble is, he's a habitual no show for off season conditioning, preseason practice, exhibition games, mid week practices, and probably much more. Then comes game time, he's either a non-factor and/or out of sinc with the rest of his team. More often than not, he just looks like he wants to lay down and have a nap.

Yeah, CP got it right. It is only a matter of time. But what he failed to mention was that he was talking about "Quitting Time."

And the sooner this lazy, overpaid waste of roster spot goes, the better.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 30, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I watched the game again last night on my DVR. And I must admit the bad play calling by Zorn. But what about the ref's call that change the outcome of the game. In the 4th QTR 3rd and 7 on the Skins 48 yard line quick screen pass to Santana Moss flag thrown from the ref for a face mask was picked up as a no foul. The replay shows that their was a face mask. So instead of a 1st and 10 at the Lions 37 the skins punt. Two plays later pass interference on the one next play touchdown Lions 19-7????? If the ref threw the flag why was it picked up ??? Also in the 3rd QTR skin driving the ball Casey Rabach was called for holding (mystery hold) as the skins completed a 20 yard pass into Lions territory. Result in a punt.. Maybe it was a plan to have the Skins lose... I agree the game should have not been close at all but when you get bad calls it changes the game.. Thanks Ref's .. Where is the justice... The league hates Danny Boy Too..

Posted by: NYSkinFAN | October 1, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse