Portis Listed As Questionable for Sunday

Top back Clinton Portis was held out of practice again because of bone spurs on his ankles and was listed as questionable for Sunday's game against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field.

"His ankles have been sore," Coach Jim Zorn said of Portis. "But we've got many guys to chose from."

With the re-signing of speed back Anthony Alridge this week off the Houston Texans' practice squad, the Redskins have five running backs on the 53-man roster. Zorn declined to reveal how many backs would be active in Week 3, but the Redskins are expected to have Portis, third-down back Ladell Betts, Alridge and special-teams standout Rock Cartwright on that list.

If things hold to form, Marcus Mason, who was active in the 9-7 victory over the St. Louis Rams, would be the odd man out this week.

Portis, who was not made available to the media, rushed for 141 yards and a 4.0 per-carry average in the first two games.

"I expect Clinton to be out there ripping around," Zorn said.

By Jason Reid  |  September 25, 2009; 3:25 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rinehart Lands Starting Guard Job
Next: Alridge Signing Is Bad News for Cartwright

Comments

GO SKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: lavararrington | September 25, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

START ALDRIDGE

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 25, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

sit portis for the game, start betts, use mason, run right, shot gun, no huddle.....that should cover it...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Here's a thought... Pick up LaGarrett Blount from Oregon in the 4th round next year. He's a beast who got suspended because the NCAA overreacted. He is a 1st round talent. With him as the power back and Aldridge as the quick guy...who knows, we might be able to run right next year

Posted by: ronjon629

Or he'd beat down the opposition, literally. As long as he doesn't Michael Westbrook a teammate

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 25, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Say 4th, don't you hail from Montgomery County?

Posted by: RedDMV | September 25, 2009 3:23 PM

MY High School Years...Yup...

Before & After that, DC (Uptown). I've lived in PG County since 2005/6

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 25, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

START ALDRIDGE

Posted by: CheyenneWY

So he can cough it up on his first carry?

I need to see that he can hold on to the ball -- while running.

Stick him back there with Thomas on KRs.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 25, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Here's a thought... Pick up LaGarrett Blount from Oregon

or not....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

If he is still fumble prone, its better to find out while playing the Lions vs. playing the Giants or a division game.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 25, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Devo2, make three wishes and it might come true!

Posted by: chrislarry | September 25, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Done! And for the loyal RI'ers I put in a request for a real GM!!!

Posted by: Devo2 | September 25, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

It's hard for me to read between the lines on this:

Does "are expected" mean that this is the writer speculating about the active roster, or that he has a source telling him this? (Not a criticism of the reporting at all, I'm just not sure what that means.)

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 25, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ronjon629

He is definitely a beast, but not as a runner. Had an ok 2008 season and this season Boise State (not known for defense) completely shut him down. NCAA didn't overreact. Don't need a thug like that on the field. No thanks to adding him on the Skins.

Posted by: Alvin_Walton | September 25, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

4th, that ain't the mouth the media has been talking out of.

So you just a DM'er. You need to get some 'V' in your life, ya dig?

Virginia is on the come up. I wish that they would make the DMV one city.

I think no one could f with us, 'cept NYC and LA.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 25, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ronjon629

Because the NCAA overreacted? Dude talked a bunch a shti over the summer. He didn't do jack all game.

So he is reminded of his idiotic comments and decides to throw down? Yeah, sounds like a super smart, future core Redskin.

Posted by: ksquare | September 25, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I can pick apart the media talking out of both sides of there mouuth all day...

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 25, 2009 3:29 PM

Friggin accountants. I've got your resource allocation right here.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 25, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alvin_Walton

Yep, a thug... 'cause he punched a dude, yes it was uncalled for, and he was straight up wrong, but why the f does every black athlete that f's up is "a thug".

White athlete f's up, he's a redneck, or a roughneck.

Black athlete f's up, he's a thug.

The RB from Oregon didn't kill anyone, didn't sell drugs, didn't beat on a woman, or participated in any other unlawful activity, but yet he's a thug.

Wow, "ufb" AND "whateves"...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 25, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

red, I'm as white as white can be....and I'm a thug.....think about that for a while........I'm straight up thuggin.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

thug...

Posted by: pgugino | September 25, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Redskin Insiders have learned that Coach Zorn and his offensive coaches will put in a new series of plays for the pre-game warm ups this Sunday in Detroit.

Recognizing that playing Metallica during last week's practices only got them 9 points at home against the hapless Rams, Zorn decided that he needed to to switch things up a bit and do something to build better team cohesion.

So when the Redskins take the field on Sunday, the offensive team is expected to congregate at the 20 yard line and start line dancing to "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor -- the 1980s hit about an abused housewife who vows to fight on with her miserable life despite being hopelessly old, fat and ugly.

When asked for a comment, Clinton Portis said he would just prefer to let his dancing do the talking -- but then pulled himself out of practice, claiming that his ankles are tired, sore and swollen.

Posted by: Vic1 | September 25, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

alicious...

Posted by: pgugino | September 25, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

should have added that I'm straight up thuggin....when my wife lets me, and the kids don't have soccer, if I've cut the grass, gotten the 'honey-do' list completed...staight up, I'm tellin yah......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ksquare

Watch the video. The dude made contact with him while passing, while talking s***.

He could've reminded him about his stupid ass comments without putting his hands on him, the dude from Boise.

I'm willing to bet if he never taps him or touches him period, the RB from Oregon wouldn't have put his hands on the boy.

STOP making the dude that got punched out like some damn saint that was just passing out miracles and got stole on...

And please get the f outta here with that "core redskin" nonsense, PLEASE! No such Redskin exists. They all don the burgundy and gold until a) they're used up, b) they get a better deal, c) develop a irreconcilable relationship with fellow players or the front office.

That "core Redskin" stuff is that back in the day talk.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 25, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

how do you straight up thug, can you take a class?

Posted by: connskins | September 25, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Do most of my thugging on Madden, a wonderful world where the Skins win every time...

Posted by: pgugino | September 25, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

if you don't know...now you know....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Portis is already nicked up, which means we should see a lot more of Mason against Detroit assuming we get the lead. I think the Skins have known since the preseason about Portis' bone spurs and kept Mason knowing they would need to suit him up on Sundays. If Aldridge plays, I think that is big sign the Rock doesn't fit in the teams' plans even as a special teams player.

Posted by: wizfan89 | September 25, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

If Zorn is "expected" to call "scared" in the red zone again it doesn't matter who's playing or inactive. We have way to much talent to settle for fielf goals.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | September 25, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

how do you straight up thug, can you take a class?

Posted by: connskins

I think its like rehab...you need to get a sponsor and work the steps.

"Keep coming back; It works if you work it"

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 25, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

bean, have you been listening to Trick Daddy lately?

Since the gangster phrase for a black dude is 'thug', In your case bean, I believe you'd be a 'wiseguy'.

no offense, if any taken...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 25, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

If I see a cd out called Redneck Life, I don't think urban street criminal. I think fat, hillbilly, cousin kissing white dude. Conversely, Thug life doesn't make me think of anyone named Billy Joe or Bobby Ray. Am I racist, not at all. Am I easily influenced by cultural norms, most definitely.

Posted by: will_ga | September 25, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

so they were secret bone spurs? only a thug would have those...

Posted by: pgugino | September 25, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Do you honestly think Portis is gonna sit out because of bone spurs? Get serious. Couple of Advil and he's on the field. They are uncomfortable, but they aren't that bad.

Posted by: edvar | September 25, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

How's your blood pressure right now Red? Jesus....you got issues dude.

I was just f n with you on the whole core Redskin stuff, from earlier jibba jabba today.

Granted, the Boise St. player should have not put his hands on him. That's bound to start something. BUT it's assualt if you strike someone OK? That's against the law, you can be charged. You gotta know that dude.

Also, did you see how his venom wasn't confined to the offending player? He was straight mad, going after his own player's--who were just trying to get him out of there--, security guards, fans, you name it.

He looked almost as mad as Danny Smith last week, when Zorno was about to call a timeout.

Posted by: ksquare | September 25, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

red, got no idea what you're talking about, so of course, no offense taking....can I get back to my thuggin now?

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Can't tell y'all about thuggin or thuggery or thugin it out, 'cause I does neither.

Not a corner boy, don't be in the hood all day, and haven't been chased by the po's in a minute.

I be nerdin' it out nowadays.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 25, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Did you notice on the prior post how quickly the Redskins O-Line went from being too old and injury prone to too young and inexperienced?

Posted by: Wemiss21 | September 25, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

You know who's really kickin' back with the thug life now, with his new slave and everything ....

JLaC - straight up thug from the jump

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 25, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

edvar, I think if they just rub some 'Tussin (Robitusson) on those spurs he'll be fine. Those trainers are top notch.

Posted by: pgugino | September 25, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

4th,

What school did you go to in Montgomery County?

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 25, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

You want mad? Watch the new Kansas City coach after a bad play. Todd Haley looks like he is a fumble away from a stroke during games.

Posted by: will_ga | September 25, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Blount wanted to mix it up with fans too. You can't condone that. If he did nothing wrong Oregon wouldn't have suspended him for the whole year.

Beantown should get the 2pac thug life tattoo.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | September 25, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

red, some of us still keep it real.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

4th saw me about to go straight thug on the security dude at FedEx last week during the pat-down to enter the stadium. I was like, "Yeah, try to take this SPF-30 suntan lotion away from me."

Posted by: 4-12 | September 25, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Sit Portis, sit.

Good dawg.

Your bones will come late in the season.

Right now, just play dead.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 25, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Friggin accountants. I've got your resource allocation right here.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 25, 2009 3:44 PM |

LOL @ 4-12 and BeanTown for Thuggin it!

Red - Me and you can agree on this:

Dude from Boise will think 2x before NEVER doing that again. Nothing but 'Yes SIR' 'No SIR' from him now on. On the field and off.

Chris Tucker to Boise Dude:

'Maaaaaan! You got knocked the F@#K OUT!'

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 25, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wemiss21
______________________

Don't forget untalented.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 25, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

JohnDinHouston, JLaC is probably big pimpin more than thuggin. Wait, is there a difference between big pimpin' and living the thug life?

Posted by: pgugino | September 25, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Flound - Springbrook. Class of '98. You?

4-12 - Did they ever take your suntanning lotion? I wish i stuffed the rest of that Remy in my pocket! But I chugged the SJK out of that beer right before being patted down. My son was like 'DAYUUUUM!'....lol

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 25, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

that's hard to say...but I agree, JLaC is probably more big pimpin' than anything now.

Paint Branch High School, for what it's worth.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 25, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Portis will be ripping around, i will be ripping them around game time... BEEF STEW, I LOVE BEEF STEW!!!

Posted by: Burrasta1 | September 25, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Flound - Springbrook. Class of '98. You?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 25, 2009 4:12 PM |

Richard Montgomery class of 89

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 25, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

That 'Tussin is some powerful good stuff

Posted by: edvar | September 25, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Malden Catholic HS...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 25, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Paint Branch High School, for what it's worth.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | September 25, 2009 4:12 PM |

My best friend is married to a girls who graduated from there.

Posted by: Flounder21 | September 25, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

No, he let me keep it.
Wait, there was more Remy?! I thought we crushed it on the walk? I remember tossing the bottle in the trash.

Posted by: 4-12 | September 25, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

my bad, k. waitin' for the term "core Redskin" to be exhausted and extinguished.

It's really popular up here, and I'll guarantee someone will use it seriously before the game Sunday.

k, RE: the RB from Oregon, the dude was wrong and acted an ass. I think we can agree on that.

Am I easily influenced by cultural norms, most definitely.

Posted by: will_ga

So if you see an old Cadillac but with a fresh paint job and some rims, in a predominately white neighborhood they must be black and are casing out house. Is that what you're saying?

And maybe what you consider "culture" isn't. My suggestion to you is to get out more or leave the state of Georgia once in a while if you don't.

There are PLENTY of white dudes and ladies that are influenced by the "thug life".

The dude that y'all been linking, what his name? The rappin' dude from VA... he's white, he raps, who you think influenced him? Motorhead?

Cultural norms are how you, and you only perceive them to be. You are only influenced by what you want to believe.

That's it.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 25, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Nice, Burrasta1. I thought the same thing. Rip away, sir.

Posted by: pgugino | September 25, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

will do, maybe Zorn was referncing how much gas portis had left in his tank as well... it would make him hard to takle, then again i imagine that anytime a 300lbs fatty falls on you it is proper edicate to rip away

Posted by: Burrasta1 | September 25, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey beantown..
Notice that Belicheat hasnt done so well since the implementation of the Defensive headsets.. Basically, signal stealing either done legally or illegally isnt possible anymore.
skinsneedagm in Boston..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | September 25, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Alvin_Walton

White athlete f's up, he's a redneck, or a roughneck.

Black athlete f's up, he's a thug.

Wow, "ufb" AND "whateves"...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 25, 2009 3:47 PM

Umm, I never said anything about his color and I don't care about his color. Dude straight up sucker punched someone who was talking some smack. Then, he proceeds to go absolutely crazy trying to get into the stands only because they talked some smack as well. That constitutes thuggish behavior to me. Don't need that crap on any football field. COPIOUS amounts of smack talking goes on in football and rarely does someone sucker punch someone like that. Then afterwards needs 3 grown men holding him back from going into the stands. Dude's a thug regardless of color.

Plus you have no idea if he has ever beat up a woman or sold drugs or whatever so please don't make up stuff to support your case.

Posted by: Alvin_Walton | September 25, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

White athlete f's up, he's a redneck, or a roughneck.

Black athlete f's up, he's a thug.

Wow, "ufb" AND "whateves"...

Posted by: RedDMV | September 25, 2009 3:47 PM
=====================================
Thats about a 10 on the tension scale there Red. I don't know if I'd a call the kid a thug, but if I were coach, I know I wouldn't want to risk a draft pick on him. The kid will make a perfect Raider or pet project of Jerry Jones'.

Posted by: clark202 | September 25, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I wounder how much worse is stonin someone standing looking at you versus cleatin someone in the head with his helmet off.....hmmm....hey people make mistakes in anger and wind up regretting them no need to label em and shelf em. however I don't think he's all that as a runnin back....

Posted by: myrtle_beach_fan | September 25, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse