Portis misses practice with lower-leg problems

Running back Clinton Portis sat out practice today because of leg problems.

"It's really one leg," he said. "It's just my right leg. I've got plantar faciitis, an ankle, the inside of my MCL, and a calf all on my right leg. So if I can get a new lower leg, I'll be fine."

In the 14-6 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, Portis rushed for a season-high 109 yards on 15 carries (a 7.3-yard average). He gained 78 yards on one rush in the third quarter - the longest gain of his career.

Portis acknowledged he has not had much interaction with new play-caller Sherman Lewis, who came out of retirement about two weeks ago to serve as an offensive consultant. Owner Daniel Snyder promoted Lewis, 67, to call plays after stripping Jim Zorn of the responsibility following the team's latest dreary loss to a formerly winless team, which has occurred four times this season.

Lewis is unfamiliar with the team's personnel and knows little about Washington's running game, but Portis expects the running game to work well.

"It ain't hard, I mean, you either run gut, counter, stretch, toss, dive, or draw," Portis said. "You can call it however you want to call it, but them are the only runs in football. For him to be an offensive coordinator for as long as he has, I'm sure he knows that as well. Maybe it's the formations. I don't know why he would say that, but I don't think it's too hard to call the running game."

From the Bog

Dan Steinberg reports that Jim Zorn shares concerns about possible game delays as plays go from Sherman Lewis to Zorn to Jason Campbell.

By Jason Reid  |  October 21, 2009; 3:13 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Change is nothing new, according to Portis
Next: Largent says Zorn considered quitting

Comments

I want to congratulate the author for putting all three 'i's in 'plantar fasciitis'. Of course, he left out the S, but that's forgiveable.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 21, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Admittedly out of the loop here in tumbleweed country, but what was it Sherman Lewis said that Portis took exception to?

Posted by: boothintexas | October 21, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"I donwn need no eff'n practis," he sayed, "and if (Sherm) downwn knos me and mys shiz, well eff him too!"

Posted by: Vic1 | October 21, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Best case sceanrio 2009-2010 OL:

RT- Poopy McPoop
RG- chrislarry
C- That stalker that stalked Tracee
LG- Talent Evaluator
LT- Barno (the real one)

Posted by: ElYeah | October 21, 2009 3:12 PM

Damn, I better start eating than. Off to In-n-Out for lunch I guess. Maybe I'll have some Popeye's for dessert.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 21, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Before The Danny sells the team, it would be appropriate for him to sign a new agreement to name the field "SpongeTech Field". (It's particularly funny when you follow the link to the previous piece he'd written about SpongeTech.) Seems like a move just made for the Redskins right now.

Posted by: badenjr | October 21, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

can we please move on from the barno piling on?? wtf...guy had an opinoin just like everyone else, he's thrown out a mea culpa...wtf else do people want....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 2:01 PM

Welcome to the blog, new poster. This is a novel idea, but it's not how we do things here. Best time to get a guy is when he's down and defenseless. And, if he's admitted he's wrong, well he's even more defenseless, isn't he?

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"Best case sceanrio 2009-2010 OL:

RT- Poopy McPoop
RG- chrislarry
C- That stalker that stalked Tracee
LG- Talent Evaluator
LT- Barno (the real one)

Posted by: ElYeah

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

I'd say I am on my way....

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 2:01 PM

So you can come on here, praise Vinny and Danny to no end, bash a good amount of Redskins fans for being "fakey-fans" and than just in the blink of an eye with some "heartfelt" apology wash away all the soap-box rants?

Got it!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 21, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Dude would be a hell of a lot more convincing if he actually walked the walk. But he can't be bothered with off season conditioning, preseason training, preseason games, midweek practices, and major stretches of time during the games -- but apparently has no limit in excuses for his failure to play well and execute in sinc with the rest of the team. He's also not shy about throwing other teammates under the bus -- as today's little episode about JC failing to hold a door for him proves.

His 78 yard run this past weekend followed the first stretch in several years of actually participating in practice -- but even as Sherm Lewis begins to install this week's offensive scheme for the Eagles, CP has decided to skip practice (again).

What a loser!!!

Posted by: Vic1 | October 21, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Since Zorn doesn't have the "nads" to say this, I want to hear our next coach and GM say,"I know some of you aren't going anywhere because of salary cap ramifications, but that doesn't mean you're gonna play. So if you can't practice, be prepared to watch on game day."

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | October 21, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I've never understood what Jim Zorn's offense really was. Cause it sure is heck wasn't any WCO I've ever seen...Running isn't the foundation of the offense, its a part of it, but not the foundation...

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 21, 2009 2:52 PM

My understanding is that the current offense is a hybrid of the WCO and the running plays that Gibbs used. I think the old running schemes were kept for the sake of continuity. It's not quite the offense that Zorn would want to run on an actual, functioning football team. Of course, it's also not the Coryell-derived offense that Gibbs (and Norv) used.

It's a little bit of both, and not enough of either. Ladies and gentlemen, your 2009 Washington Redskins!

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

This is on PFT

Chris Samuels could retire due to neck injury
Posted by Mike Florio on October 21, 2009 3:29 PM ET
Redskins left tackle Chris Samuels, a fixture on the offensive line since arriving as a rookie in 2000, possibly has played his last down in D.C.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, Samuels will visit a specialist in Los Angeles regarding whether Samuels will be able to continue his career.

Samuels is not expected to play again this year, and Schefter says that some within the organization think that Samuels will never play again.

One source told Schefter that Samuels is privately saying that he plans to retire.

Samuels was the third overall pick in the 2000 draft, the second half of a back-to-back series of selections by the Redskins. With the second overall pick in 2000, the Redskins selected linebacker LaVar Arrington.

Posted by: clark202 | October 21, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping at some point this season that CP's nagging leg malidies would knock him out for a few games...then we might have had a chance to see what mason might have done with 15 carries or so ...guess that ship has sailed

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | October 21, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Time to move on Chris...good luck with retirement.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 21, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

pm, no, by all means keep eviscerating the guy, all day long, extract your pound of flesh for him having an opinoin that differs from yours, and for being wrong....knock yourself out....because Lord knows you've never said anything that was later proven wrong, or otherwise...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clark202 | October 21, 2009 3:36 PM

Sad to see, but it sounds like he'd be a fool to continue playing. He's had a good run, and he will be missed.

I think we can assume he will be part of next year's post-salary cap purge, regardless of what he decides.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

From the Bog...on the ShermL-to-Zorn-to-JC play calling and potential shabingus...

Posted by: 4-12 | October 21, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is injured and couldn't practice? I hope the new coach sees through this bunch of malarkey! If you don't practice, you don't play!

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 21, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

________________

The Redskins are really lucking out in that regard, because if there is a cap next year... they would be screwed. His contract would be impossible to absorb.

Definitely sad to see him have to exit this way. I think without this condition he'd have 3-4 more good years if they moved him to RT. Wish we had more players like him over the past decade.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Question . . . I heard the Redskins were shoping Anthony Montgomery around prior to the trade deadline.

I'm assuming nothing ever came from this, but was there any news in regards to what the team was hoping to get or what other teams were asking for.

It seemed like big news at the time since the Redskins always seem to be trading for players, not trading them away. The throught of trading away an unused player who is young enough to have some trade value sounded great to me but I didn't hear any follow up.

Posted by: HokiePaul | October 21, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Samuels should retire. The consequences of continuing to play could be devastating, both for him and the organization. Just imagine going into the 2010 season:

"We've got Samuels back so we don't need to address the O-line, lets get more SKILL POSITIONS!!"

Seriously though he should quit for his own health.

Posted by: REXskins | October 21, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Chris Samuels should be in the Redskins Ring of Honor.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 21, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HokiePaul | October 21, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

_________

I'm not sure what they wanted for him, but I'm sure the market wasn't very strong for a defensive lineman who couldn't even find himself on the active roster this year, and who will also be a free agent next season.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

And in other news, the sun rose in the East...

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 21, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

beantown, the RI can be more exhausting than your full-time job on some days, no? I've found it to be true for me...

Posted by: mattylight | October 21, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Vinny couldn't trade Montgomery because he has no relationship with other GM's. Did you ever wonder why all the trades Vinny has ever made have been with just a handful of teams?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 21, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is injured and couldn't practice?

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Portis spoke of the constant change, but Portis missing practice is a sign of continuity.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

see THAT's why they shoulda just fired his SJK.

And that's also why The Danny needs to
SELL THA TEAM!

hehe

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 21, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

A variety of topics were covered by Jim Zorn after practice, which ended at 2:55 p.m.

*Left tackle Chris Samuels is on his way to California for an evaluation on his neck. Samuels is already out for Monday's game against Philadelphia.

*Zorn was told of friend and former teammate Steve Largent's comments on a Seattle radio station that the Redskins current play-calling set up is a "joke" and that

"That’s probably his thoughts on the process," Zorn said. "Friends, they get fired up for friends. I’ll have to go bust him. I haven’t talked to him in awhile"

Largent also said Zorn's contract included a clause that the management/ownership could strip away the play-calling at any point. If Zorn objected, he could be fired with cause and therefore, not get paid the remaining 1 1/2 years of his guaranteed money.

Zorn is not commenting on his contract status.

*Evidently, Zorn will not forward Lewis' play call to quarterback Jason Campbell.

Zorn said Lewis will be in the coach's box and call the play down to offensive coordinator Sherman Smith (who moves to the sideline). Smith will they relay it to Campbell.

*Safeties Chris Horton and Kareem Moore missed practice because they were ill and tight end Chris Cooley was absent to attend his grandfather's funeral in Wyoming.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is injured and couldn't practice?

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Posted by: zcezcest1

True that. CP is really getting on my nerves. I'd like to see him get a real injury in the mold of a Joe Thesiman leg break. Let's see him whine about that all week and still suit up on Sunday...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 21, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 3hrswasted | October 21, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

check out my interview with Derrick Dockery yesterday

Posted by: gaholtzman | October 21, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | October 21, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

you guys still crying about the 7th leading rusher in the NFL?

we'd be 0-6 witout him

Posted by: pabrian2003 | October 21, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 2:01 PM

Got it!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 21, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

So yeah, I understood exactly what he was talking about when he said you took his quotes out of context. And it's funny how some people can read his apology and think it's very thorough and sincere while you continue to think he's some demon who needs to be piled on over and over again. I think that says more than you Poopy than it does about him. Also, I've never seen anyone apologize to him for the vile comments towards him.

All I'm saying is it's time to back off, Poopy. You said your piece, he said his, now move on.

Posted by: JimMonitor | October 21, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Who is going to be in charge of timeouts?

Posted by: jmy999 | October 21, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Article on ESPN says "Largent said he speaks to Zorn just about every day."

I'm sure what Largent was saying was an echo of what Jim Zorn says to him privately.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 21, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

The worst part about it is that there isn't a game plan. There is no strategy. Our offense has no objective. You are right. We don't use enough of either. Playcalling and offensive philosophy should go hand in hand. The west coast offense spreads the field horizontally. The coryell spreads the field vertically. Using aspects from both would seemingly be deadly. The problem is that we don't use the sidelines enough and we don't throw deep enough. Therefore, we aren't stretching the defense in either direction. We will always be covered and we will always be running into traffic because we aren't making any space for ourselves.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 21, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 3:58 PM

Whatever they're smoking out there at Ashburn, I don't want any.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

you guys still crying about the 7th leading rusher in the NFL?

we'd be 0-6 witout him

Posted by: pabrian2003

Gee, the NFL.com website must have it wrong then, because they are showing he has only one touchdown this season. BTW, I don't dispute that the guy can still be an effective back, but I am sick of his shenanigans. He is a destroyer of team unity and it sounds like even the other players are turning on him now.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 21, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

"I've got plantar faciitis, an ankle, the inside of my MCL, and a calf all on my right leg."

Hey, I've got all those things on my right leg also (excluding the plantar faciatis)!

Posted by: nojunk4me | October 21, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 3:58 PM

Whatever they're smoking out there at Ashburn, I don't want any.

Posted by: acoberst1

So, let me get this straight; the guy who has been out of football for four years will radio the plays to the guy who hasn't sent plays into the quarterback all year who will then radio plays to the quarterback? All I can say is they better let Campbell call the play if the clock says eight seconds and there is no play.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 21, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: quinn3 | October 21, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

That's some sad stuff about Samuels. Too bad, he maybe had a shot at the hall of fame with another pro bowl or two. (not first ballot, obviously, but anyone who plays in 8, 9 pro bowls, especially all with the same team, is usually a shoe in for the HOF)

Posted by: JimMonitor | October 21, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Now it's Sherman Smith who will relay Sherm Lewis' play-calls to QB, instead of Zorn. #AP_NFL

Posted by: joevick | October 21, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 21, 2009 4:22 PM

The only way this gets any worse is if Snyder puts on a headset of his own and....

Ok, I better stop, I don't want to give the guy any ideas.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

So let me see if I've got this str8.
We were already horrible with time management and timeouts. Now, instead of going directly from the sideline to the QB, the play will come from the coaches box, to the sideline, to the QB (adding a step to the process)and we're to believe this will go smoothly? Uh, i don't THINK so.

I predict we'll be out of timeouts in the second half by the end 3rd quarter...lol. This team is a joke.

Posted by: erykah32 | October 21, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nojunk4me

Okay. No practice all week. You're a veteran and you don't need it. See you on Monday night.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 21, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

"Poopy You know this is bologna. I have witnessed some innocent Barno comment about the team turn into people jumping all over him with vile insults. I've also seen him respond with some of the vile comments of his own, some of which you cropped, to borrow Barno's term, without providing the context that he was baited into those comments. I'm sure there are exception to this but let's not pretend Barno was simply picking fights on here with Skins fans. He was a diehard just like any of us, and got emotional on here and says things he regretted like some of us tend to sometimes."

Posted by: JimMonitor

Damn, why can't have my back like that up here... kinda makes you wonder...

Hey I know my style doesn't sit with many of you here. It's raw, it's hood, it's... it's... young black America....

Some of y'all can't vibe with it and that's cool. But like Poop did Barno, some of y'all are just out to rip people without any real basis for not liking another poster up here. Sure I curse, i act a an ass more than a little bit, But I only, I ONLY do it to those that try their hardest or make it their business to bring it out.

This one hatin' dude from yesterday, basically put out there that RI was such a lovely place until I showed up. I mean, what the f*** is that supposed to mean? Like I am the only one who comes up here spitting fire at anybody and anything.

No answer required or even wanted... it's just funny how that works. Nothing against Barno or anything...

It's just funny, I've been posting up here for about two years now, and not once since up until recently do I re-call people putting out what they backgrounds were. I like to think with the content of my posts and my boldness, I kinda started that.

It's funny, up here you mostly encounter the "brothas" who think that I'm setting "us" back (you know who you are), or I encounter the "middle American" dude who thinks that blacks and hip-hop will eventually spread like AIDS and set-off WW3.

Y'all be easy. No need to post up here like that during these times anyway with the season currently being sh*t*ed out in the toilet. Hopefully the season will turn...

One.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 21, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

JimMonitor, what PDiddy says here:

No, my issue with Barno is the dripping sanctimony with which he confronts those who lack his passion and conviction. Rather than debate on the merits of an argument, he casts doubt about the loyalty of others, thus positioning his own loyalty as superior and, therefore, Barno, himself, as superior to the rest of us. The way he writes, it's not about him being right and you being wrong, it's all about him being better than you because his affection is so much more meaningful.

It's quite okay for Barno to be wrong about the Redskins. It's not okay for Barno to be a sanctimonious jerk.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 19, 2009 9:14 PM

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | October 21, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Portis wasn't the only one practicing, but he is the only one that gets called out by JReid....

Cooley wasn't even at practice....Where's your report on that? What about the other starters who sat out.

JReid vs. Portis continues....

Why? Only they know....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"i act a an ass more than a little bit"

truer bama words were never spoken by a truer bama.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 21, 2009 4:32 PM

You're saying you're black? I guess that's not how I pictured you, carrot top.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm lost people. What in the world did Barno say, anyways?

Posted by: mattylight | October 21, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Sure its a rip job and overdone in places ... but the basic issue is real. How often do people leave Snyder with their career in a better place?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

VINNY CERRATO
So what you do is you take the plays from the box and
you bring them down to the QB?

SHERMAN SMITH
That, that's right.

DAN SNYDER
Well, then I gotta ask, then why can't the QBs just take the
plays directly from the box, huh?

SHERMAN SMITH
Well, uh, uh, uh, because, uh, QBS are not good at dealing with
playcallers.

VINNY CERRATO
You physically take the plays from the playcaller?

SHERMAN SMITH
Well, no, my, my head coach does that, or, or the fax.

VINNY CERRATO
Ah.

DAN SNYDER
Then you must physically bring them to the QB.

SHERMAN SMITH
Well...no. Yeah, I mean, sometimes.

VINNY CERRATO
Well, what would you say… you do here?

SHERMAN SMITH
Well, look, I already told you. I deal with the god*@mn QBs so
the play callers don't have to!! I have people skills!! I am good at
dealing with people!!! Can't you understand that?!? WHAT THE HECK IS
WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!!!!!!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 21, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Portis' attitude and continued voicing of displeasure with the team's personnel is another symptom of the lack of leadership from ownership. Any other team with a real owner (Rooney, Kraft, Mara), etc. would have already either suspended Portis for conduct detrimental to the team or he would not be playing. Considering Portis is friends with the Danny, neither Cerrato or Zorn have any ability to control his unwillingness to practice or keep his mouth shut.

I'm sure everyone on the team is frustrated at this point, but Portis appears to have already jumped ship. It's a shame they cut Mason because he would have been a viable alternative instead of Betts who has clearly lost a step.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 21, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

JReid vs. Portis continues....

Why? Only they know....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 21, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Was reported that Cooley was out because he was at a funeral, that is probably why Reid isn't calling him out.

But you are right Reid does have some kind of problem with CP.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 21, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

PA

we also don't use the middle of the field or throw to recievers who are in a position to make move when they catch the ball...... but in reality we just don't have anything....and its fruitless to say we should be doing this or more of that....i have seen enough over the years to judge wether or not we have enough talent or speed or scheme or linemen or depth or QB or coaching to tell you that this collection of players that is currently representing the maroon and black isn't going to suddenly get it together and even become an average offense...and thats the real tradegy...if we were just average we would be in the playoff hunt.... rooting for total and final humiliation.....

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | October 21, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Well played, PA.

Well played.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 21, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Would someone - Redskin insider hint hint - please find out what kind of dael we made to sign Levi Jones. How long and for how much? I can't understand why we can't get this information anywhere.

Posted by: ederic | October 21, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

If I'm Jason Campbell, the first thing I do Monday Night is break the friggin speaker in my helmet.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

4th, you drama-filled, crybama...how is Reid calling out Portis? Just said he didn't practice, due to a leg injury.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 21, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

But you are right Reid does have some kind of problem with CP.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 21, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

------------

Hell, I have a problem with him.

My problem is...he's a jacka**.

He's actaully whining that Campbell didn't hold a door for him?

What is he, 8 years old?

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 21, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone other than me notice how Cerrato claimed there was no offensive line help out there last week, only to sign Levi Jones this week. This guy is so full of crap!

Posted by: ederic | October 21, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ederic | October 21, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

So, Sherman talks to Sherman who relays it to Jason.

There's a big problem here. A full third of this chain isn't a Sherman. We'll have no continuity and JC17 won't be able to get into his rhythm. We either need to trade our first, second, third and fifth round draft picks for Sherman QB, or Jason needs to legally change his name before Monday Night.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Calling Sherman Helmsley

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

No conspiracy here...I think Portis is probably the only one there to comment.

The earlier post is disturbing. The team is in free fall.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | October 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I got your back RedDMV! :) I'm a sucker for the little guy. When i see someone getting picked on, I can't but help and stand up for them. I've seen Barno getting picked on routinely on the blogs for his homer optimism and even though he responds in kind with crap of his own a lot of the time, I just think everyone ganging up on one person is a litte much.

I think if we were all at a bar and said the same things we say up here, there wouldn't be nearly as much hostility in person. People hide behind their computer screen names. I don't see these kinds of fierce, vile, debates over the Redskins at bars or at the few games I've been to in recent years. Maybe it's just me.

Posted by: JimMonitor | October 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Who is going to be in charge of timeouts?

Posted by: jmy999 | October 21, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Mike Shannahan via tweets

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Just said he didn't practice, due to a leg injury.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 21, 2009 4:47 PM

As beat up as Portis is it makes the decision to cut Mason kind of odd. Although with their o-line they may want more reliable pass protection from their RBs.

Posted by: skinswest | October 21, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Clinton, He good! He do what he do.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 21, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

matty, its fully listed of the last few posts...lets not rehash...

I have had my run-ins w/ Barno...but the dude has been up here since the begining and Poopy pretty much summed it up. Barno wins points in my book with his contritness...

Red...I got your back bro! I love what you spit. Bring it strong to the hole or take your ball and go home.

Yes I am a rapidly approaching middle aged white dude, but I work with Urban youth, live in Brooklyn, work in Queens and party in Manhattan (well I used to...)I got nothing but mad love for all kinds of cultures, vernacular, music and folkways...

Do you man!

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

So, Sherman talks to Sherman who relays it to Jason.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

_______________

They need to pick up a Sherman Tank in free agency to play on the offensive line.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

An extract from the Largent interview ..

"Yes, he did consider it, and no, he did not want to give up those responsibilities," Largent told KJR, "but they went to the point of pulling out his contract and saying, 'You have got to do whatever the owner tells you to do.' ...

Future coaches - take note. I will watch with morbid interest.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | October 21, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

So, Sherman talks to Sherman who relays it to Jason.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 21, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

---------------

Put me in, coach, I'm ready to play!

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 21, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 4:52 PM

But in typical skins fashion they'd be bringing a Sherman to an M-1 Abrams fight.

Posted by: skinswest | October 21, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

And the kid, Sherman, from the Bullwinkle show (Sherman and Mr. Peabody) to point out the obvious to Dan Snyder:

"Sherman: "Mr. Franklin, you're kite's gonna be zapped by lighting!" Franklin: "O rly?"

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 21, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | October 21, 2009 4:32 PM

You're saying you're black? I guess that's not how I pictured you, carrot top.

Posted by: League-Source

******

Yep. Red's black, raw and hood. Here's a picture:

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 21, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | October 21, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I disagree. I think scheming and coaching would bring this offense up to mediocre. Malcolm Kelly and Marko Mitchell could be used as sideline targets and Moss and Devin Thomas as deep threats. Randle El, Cooley, and Fred Davis could be used across the middle. I think the personnel is there and we just aren't using it correctly. I think we are the Porche that got passed by a diesel powered van on the nurburgring[top gear reference!!!]. I think this offense has a lot of talent but we don't know how to use it.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 21, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Hell, I have a problem with him.

My problem is...he's a jacka**.

He's actaully whining that Campbell didn't hold a door for him?

What is he, 8 years old?

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 21, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I doubt he was seriously complaining about the door.

Of course for you it doesn't matter as long as it gives you another reason to hate on CP.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 21, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

This just in, Zorn nor Sherman Smith will call in the plays.

The Redskins have decided to use 2 Campbell soup cans and a string to relay the play.

We have an audio clip from practice as they used it today.

Sherm: Alright Jason here we go
Red 32 Zebra 11 Sand Rider 9 Penny rutz

Jason: Ok got it

Teamates: What is the play J

Jason: Man I dont know sounded like he said
Red Zebra Dan Snyder and Vinny suck

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 21, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Some interesting things from Marcus Mason on him being cut again:

n the reasoning: "Pretty much it's just not understanding fully with the plays. You know, they change up plays so often, like all the time. They're changing the route, so when you get in the game, you get all this going and you're thinking, and then you wind up running the wrong way or something. They pretty much told me that they have to bring in a guy that can be trusted on special teams as well, and obviously they have to bring in an offensive lineman."

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

@TWISI - Anyone who watches this team on Sundays knows Mason isn't the only player that doesn't understand the offense. The one thing I understand is that it isn't designed to score TD's.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 21, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Some interesting things from Marcus Mason on him being cut again:

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2009 5:02 PM

NFL is a tough place to make a living, for anyone, but especially for a borderline player like Mason. He was on the opening day roster, though, so his pay is guaranteed for the year. May be his last NFL paycheck.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 21, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

________________

It's a Porche that has a bad head gasket (Campbell), dry rotted tires (offensive line) and driver with a revoked license (Zorn).

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

from the Bog, with Zorn and Larry Michael talking:

Zorn: "Our defense could say, 'Hey, after we do our job, why don't you guys do your job?' And there hasn't been any of that, there's been no infighting or anything like that, the guys are together."

Michael: "That's, I think, unique when you're talking about professional athletes, when you're talking about humans that are trying to work as a team. And half the unit isn't doing it, and there ISN'T any finger pointing. That's, I think, a special situation."

DOES LARRY MICHAEL EVER PAY ATTENTION???? No finger pointing? Special? Unique?

Huh??

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source

Only "vested" veterans (4 or more credited seasons) are guaranteed a season's salary for being on the opening day roster. I think he's actually hosed.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | October 21, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GreatOne1 |

That's funny...LMAO

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 21, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

DOES LARRY MICHAEL EVER PAY ATTENTION???? No finger pointing? Special? Unique?

Huh??

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

______________

I think he's saying it's human nature for there to be finger pointing when one half of a unit is doing their job and the other half isn't. Therefore it's unique that it's not happening.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 21, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Larry Michael is so lame. Yes the Redskins are the only team, in any group context, that don't turn on eachother when times are tough!

Talk about delusion.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I doubt he was seriously complaining about the door.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 21, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

-----------

Now you're whining as much as him. I don't need more reasons. He's not that good a back anymore, and that isn't really his fault - he's carried the ball so much - but that is just the way it is.

I can live with his dimished skills. What I don't like is his constant whining. If it isn't the O-line, it's the coach, or the QB, or the media....

He should be history after this year.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | October 21, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

What does "SJK" stand for? Thanks!

Posted by: sjw1 | October 21, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, haven't seen mistamoe in a while? What's up with that?

Posted by: periculum | October 21, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep

Posted by: sjw1 | October 21, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Some people need to stop instigating things that aren't there...Clinton was jokingly saying that Tana didn't speak and JC slam the door in his face...you have to listen to the way and tone these things are said to get what he meant...And JC was joking about the door also...so to try and make some riff or split on the team is just..Bee-etch Shti...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 21, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Portis SUCKS.Stop whinning and learn to speak so we can understand WTF you are talking about.There is only one player pointing fingers on this team and that is PORTIS!He is quickly becomming a cancer in that locker room!The owners baby can say and do what ever he wants!No player should have that right.Trade PORTIS!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | October 21, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure half the locker room is suffering from anal glaucoma at this point, can't see their a$$'s going to practice!!! Someone take control of this sinking ship, please!!!!!!

Posted by: blackhills1 | October 21, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love Portis, He should bring back the weekly characters. We were winning when he did that.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 21, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Hey WaPost, can we have just one week without a stupid Portis story?

These items are as irrelevant as Portis is these days. He's a perfect example of what is wrong with the Skins ... five or six overpaid and overhyped players at the expense of a good, solid team.

Posted by: loux24 | October 21, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 21, 2009 5:00 PM

Pray tell, who will block on these plays you're drawing up?

Posted by: Pepper5 | October 21, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Hey, there is just way too much drama going on in here...you guys sound like a bunch of teenage girls arguing back and forth and siding up stirrin crap up..WTF..cheer the damn Redskins and be brothers...hate the management and be brothers...cheer for change and hope for the best...but we're all skins fans so stop acting like a bunch of kids and celebrate what you have in common.......holy crap

Posted by: scottmando | October 22, 2009 1:28 AM | Report abuse