Portis Philosophical about Hiring

During his weekly group media session today at Redskins Park, running back Clinton Portis seemed reluctant to weigh in on the hiring of offensive consultant Sherman Lewis. "I don't know," Portis said. "You've got to ask general management about that. I don't know much about the situation."

Well, not quite. Portis still is the Redskins' top running back and he is close to owner Daniel Snyder and Vinny Cerrato, Washington's executive vice president of football operations. In fact, former coach Joe Gibbs always called Portis an assistant GM, Cerrato once told Barry Svrluga.

"I got fired," Portis joked today. "They released me from that duty. Right now, I'm just a part-time running back."

But what does he think about this hiring?

"It don't matter what I think. It's what they think," Portis said. "If they think he can help ... I think his background record speak for itself. It's always great to be able to have an addition like that.

"You've got to see what his role turn out to be and how we pan out. If we pan out to do something spectacularly, it's great."

In Week 5 of their schedule, the Redskins (2-2) have not played a team with a victory. Washington faces the Carolina Panthers (0-3), who are coming off their bye week, on Sunday at Bank of America Stadium.

"We're going on the road to a tough environment in Carolina and they coming off a bye week, so you know they got some things right they got some people healthy," Portis said. "They're going to come out ready to play. Looking at our schedule, you never would have thought, 'Oh, they play the easiest schedule.' I really wouldn't say our schedule is easy.

"We have 12 games in front of us and we've got to find a way to get better and win more games. There's a lot of people that sitting in position with no wins or 1-3, and they're saying, 'Man. If we could have got to 2-2.' We got to go into this next quarter [of the season] hoping to come out better."

SI Poll Names Most Dominant Defender

It's Albert Haynesworth, via DC Sportsbog.

By Jason Reid  |  October 7, 2009; 4:02 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tryon Might Have Found Just the Right Slot
Next: Zorn Discusses Lewis Hiring

Comments

I love Portis but someone needs to find his English teacher and fire them!

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | October 7, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Fist to say.

No one is giving us a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Portis. Maybe we can get a 4th. He is on the down hill and going down fast. People need to get off this Portis love. The guy is out of shape. He could have had some big runs against the Bucs last week. Maybe for touchdowns. No speed at all. I know the offense line is weak but they did open some holes last week.

Posted by: TheJury | October 7, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Wish he could break a tackle as good as he does an interview.

Great game last week though

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

No one is giving us a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Portis. Maybe we can get a 4th.

No one is going to trade for him; they take one look at his salary and laugh. Accept it and move on.

I know the offense line is weak but they did open some holes last week.

Yup, they sure did. In the backside, where Jason promptly got sacked twice and fumbled once. Nice one.

Posted by: Megskin | October 7, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I got nuthin'

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Carolina will be scary coming out of their bye.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

DVR, esp. b/c you can watch games in slo mo, is really cool. The thing about offensive coordinators (and guys who had watched a ton of film), is that they can watch games in real time and see the same as we do in slo mo DVR. Two guys in the booth SHOULD be able to help out a lot (assuming that the head phone cross chatter doesn't become TMI for Zorn during the game).

Also, I wonder whether Portis knows that he has outrun Earl Campbell.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Ain't nothing philosophical about Clinton Portis.

Sad to see him winding down like a cheap watch.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I love Portis but someone needs to find his English teacher and fire them!

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | October 7, 2009 4:26 PM |

He went to the U. What do you expect? They can't even spell the whole name of the university, they just call it the U.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"In Week 5 of their schedule, the Redskins (2-2) have not played a team with a victory."

Huh? Well I guess technically the Giants hadn't won a game yet when the Skins played them.

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | October 7, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

And they think 'U' is the first letter in Miami.

F Dallas.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

um, BG no, not in the slightest.....(from previous post)

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the Post used to clean up the grammer - it seems this season that they've just let it fly with exact transcripts -

...f dallas...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 7, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

[repost for a certain media hating bama up here]

And a quick googles finds the other local "newspaper" did mention it.

Bama.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 7, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

No need to check with Mr. Consonants about what Vinny told him Gibbs said. Gibbs himself said that all the time.

I don't like the idea of facing a team coming out of a bye week either. I don't like the idea of Skins' run defense trying to stop D'Angelo Williams (though I think Doughty improves the run D ... not hating on Horton, just noticing a difference in results). And I don't like the idea of Julius Peppers lining up one-on-one with Stephon Heyer. Other than that, I'm looking forward to watching a game from home and not stewing about whether I should be there watching it live at Fed Ex (for too much money).

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I know the offense line is weak but they did open some holes last week.

Posted by: Megskin | October 7, 2009 4:26 PM

Are you saying they didn't open any holes last week? You need to give them some credit. Have you look at Green Bay's line? I remember on one of the sacks Fred Davis just let the guy go right by him.

Posted by: TheJury | October 7, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I love Portis but someone needs to find his English teacher and fire them!

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1

Who cares how Portis talks? I'm so sick of reading that crap all the time!

The dude is a mf'ing football player, not some suit wearing office dude that works a 9-5. With how and where he grew up, and the talent he has, what makes you think that he took English, speech, or language arts (for that matter) seriously?

I tell you what, when you have "straight pockets" like Portis, you let your money talk for you.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Even if the Redskins COULD trade him, I doubt that they would with the current management.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 7, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we brought in CP to give speeches on the Senate Room Floor, or have him arguing back and forth on MSNBC/FOX/CNN. Nor did we bring him in bacause we wanted to know what he 'thinks'.

The more he keeps his mouth closed and don't feed into the media frenzy, he'll be straight like his pockets. The season is only 4 games in.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I guess I don't understand what the difference is......whateves...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

And a quick googles finds the other local "newspaper" did mention it.

Bama.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 7, 2009 4:33 PM

Let me get this straight. David Elfin thinks HE is the "Redskins Insider"? I don't think so. We are that ... or at least, we're not Marshall.

Posted by: dcsween | October 7, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I think Snyder is bringing Sherman in, so he can fire Zorn on the bye week if he wants to. I think he will try to promote Blache and make Sherman the O.C. I really like how Snyder hires people and then gives them no vote of confidence and then fires them without really giving them a fair chance. Zorn was never a O.C., Snyder knew that before he hired him, so he knew Zorn would be learning on the job, which was going to lead to some mistakes. If Snyder would have hired Greg Williams and let Zorn be the OC then we would have been better off. Well I doubt it because Snyder wouldn't have given him a fair shot either. It is like a bad soap opera that we can't turn off because we love the Skins. Everyone who thinks Zorn should be fired are really just agreeing with Snyder and blaming the wrong person.

Posted by: Redskins001 | October 7, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Why would you want to trade portis?
almost 1500 yards last year behind a crappy o line.
You are ready to trade him after 4 games, get real.
You think betts is better, what a laugh.

Posted by: jmy999 | October 7, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

4th, I think its only a matter of time before CP has a melt-down...

Also mentioned on the Sports Bog:

So maybe the eventual Portis media explosion is still six or seven weeks away, but it's coming, sure as the leaves will fall and the grass will wither away and the ground will turn a dull shade of earthy brown.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I remember on one of the sacks Fred Davis just let the guy go right by him.

Posted by: TheJury

Something like that...

It was more of Gaines Adams "ragdolling" Fred Davis like he was going up against some JV linemen.

Fred Davis = Giggling Suck Ass Bama = BUSTTT

Trade him at the end of the season. Dude is dumb as a damn box of rocks.

Portis maybe too, but at least he knows the plays.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

We Are The Ti-tans... Mighty, Mighty Ti-tans...

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Red - trade him for a box of rocks, rocks that have "F Dallas" painted on each and every one?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | October 7, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

4th, I think its only a matter of time before CP has a melt-down...

Also mentioned on the Sports Bog:

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 4:39 PM

Can't a man change? He's been saying all the right things since training camp started and 4 weeks in. But the Media is just hovering waiting for his 1st misstep on the JT radio show or his wednesday presser.....

I'd rather take a wait-n-see approach. Anybody can grow at any time. CP26 is now a Captin, so he may feel he needs to roll a certain way different from the past....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 7, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Have you look at Green Bay's line?

They went against the Vikings DLine. On the other hand we against the fearsome of line of .... Tampa Bay! Ohno, scary! Please, don't even go down that road.

I remember on one of the sacks Fred Davis just let the guy go right by him.

Exactly, he stinks as well. And he's probably sitting around giggling about it. Double-F Davis.

You need to give them some credit.

No. It's like watching guys dressed up in the Overstuffed Mickey Mouse costumes at Disney World stumble and flail as little kids run circles around them poking them in the rear and laughing about it. It's hilarious and sad at the same time. I bet Julius Peppers can't wait for Sunday to get here.

Posted by: Megskin | October 7, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I'll trade Fred Davis for a stank pair of used cleats.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

: RedDMV

What's even worse is that Adams manhandled both our starting OT early in the game. It was just sad.

Posted by: TWISI | October 7, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

4th, don't get me wrong, I don't want him to have a meltdown, but like fall, its in the air, only a matter of time now....

When Portis leaves the team, he's pulling a lavar......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Ultimately, though, the move indicates Snyder's lack of confidence in Zorn

By Jason Reid | October 6, 2009; 10:00 PM ET

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember there being this kind of response from the Redskins beat writers when offensive gurus were brought in under previous coaches in the Snyder era. Why so much hoopla now? The move didn't really surprise anyone, but yet if you frame the story as if it's some kind of controversy, more people will be interested in the story?

And I'm still not understanding what the big deal is. We have had a couple of dropped TD passes this year already, but other than that our offense has shown the ability to consistently move the ball down the field. Now, obviously, we've had issues getting the ball in the end zone once in the red zone. But be patient, that will change.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Barno1 | October 7, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand why we even drafted Davis when we already had Cooley. Trade him for a bucket of gatorade.

Posted by: TheJury | October 7, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I love Portis but someone needs to find his English teacher and fire them!

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1

I've got this one. "I love Portis, but someone needs to find his English teacher and fire him or her!"

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

CP is okay in my books. He carried this team since JG took over. He gave et he had and now when his body is breaking down..we get to see the bigger picture how this offense sucks without him. His play over the years basically covered up the skins flaws in the passing game.

Posted by: thewayitis | October 7, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I also think when it ends with Portis it ends badly. My fear is it will be this year. That is why I would like to see the younger guys get involved. That way they dont have to learn as they go.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember there being this kind of response from the Redskins beat writers when offensive gurus were brought in under previous coaches in the Snyder era."

I don't know who you're referring to exactly, but I remember Saunders coming in to "modernize" Gibbs' offense. And Gibbs made him offensive coordinator.

With Sherman Lewis coming in, it sort of undermines and underlines Zorn's ability as a play-caller and coaching.

And Zorn had his staff in places already. And they're a quarter into the season... This is not something you just shrug and go "meh" to.

Zorn hears them scratches at the door... lol.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Hail.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 7, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I love Portis but someone needs to find his English teacher and fire them!

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1

Who cares how Portis talks? I'm so sick of reading that crap all the time!

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

You are 100% correct. I really could care less about how he talks. I guess I was displacing my anger at how he has played this year. I think his problem is that his "pockets are too straight" and that's really all that matters to him at this point. He is still good but not nearlly as good as he could, and should, be if he cared about more than his "straight pockets". Just an occasional practice is all I ask.

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1 | October 7, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

And I'm still not understanding what the big deal is [...] Now, obviously, we've had issues getting the ball in the end zone once in the red zone. But be patient, that will change.

You know, I want that to change as well, everyone does, but the big deal is it hasn't happened for years now.

Posted by: Megskin | October 7, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

When Portis leaves the team, he's pulling a lavar......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 7, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Lavar is bitter his pockets aren't as straight as Portis'.

It could end badly with him here, but I doubt that. And I doubt he would go on to do a radio show even if it did.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 7, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

: RedDMV

Posted by: TWISI | October 7, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Get a grip guys, if it was really that bad we would not have won the game.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 7, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE INTERVIEW SOMEBODY ELSE!!! Maybe someone who has a better command of the english language. It really gets old reading Portis' quotes!!! I really hope they release this guy next year. It's time.

Posted by: matthewrayman | October 7, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh... I think we got some karma coming due this Sunday.

Remember the Schottenheimer year, 2001, when we got off that brutal 0-fer start by rising up from the dead and stealing a game against the Panthers? We were 0-5 coming into the game, down 14-0 in the fourth quarter, and then BAM! we got LaVar's amazing pick-six and went on to win it in OT.

Okay, okay, so the Panthers were terrible that season, went on to finish 1-15 in what would be Seifert's last year. (Speaking of SB-winning coaches who are available. Ahem.) But the Skins have been sporadically terrible this season, so who knows...

Ugh. F chRIs LaRRy, F Dallas, and F me for caring so much...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 7, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

This guy is a glorified scout. EVERY team in the NFL has guys that scout their own team to try to pick up weaknesses and tendencies so that they can make adjustments and corrections. This guy just has a better pedigree and higher salary than those guys.

THIS IS BEING OVER REPORTED AND EXAGGERATED!!!

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 7, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RiggoisDrunk | October 7, 2009 4:29 PM |

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | October 7, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Get a grip guys, if it was really that bad we would not have won the game.

Yeah, hey, you're right, cause if we'd lost then we'd have to question why we didn't score enough points, why we can't pass the ball, why we can't block, and then we'd have to bring in like a ... hmm... consultant ... or something.

Posted by: Megskin | October 7, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Get a grip guys, if it was really that bad we would not have won the game.

Posted by: mhaslup1

I swear on everything I love, I just busted out laughing when I read this.

Never ceases to amaze me how some will sit under the burgundy and gold umbrella wearing the Gucci 'Skins shades sipping on 'Skins-aid with the pineapple on top shaped like the 'skins logo all day long.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

My buddy just sent me a disturbing recreation of our beloved Redskins logo. It is pretty funny but heartbreaking at the same time

Like watching the video of that old lady getting the taser.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Have you look at Green Bay's line?

Posted by: Megskin | October 7, 2009 4:46 PM

Hmmm. So you are telling me that the Rams and the Bengals have a great D Line just line the Vikings??? The Packers allowed 2 sacks by the Rams and 6 Bengals. Please check your sources before you speak.

Posted by: TheJury | October 7, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I'll trade Fred Davis for a stank pair of used cleats.
Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 4:46 P

Please, he's not even worth a stank pair of egg salad & menudo sharted drawers, let alone cleats.

Posted by: will_ga | October 7, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

"And if they beat the Panters then they will have 3 victories, all against teams with winless records. If they lose to the Panters then they will have 3 losses, all against teams with winless records. Ain't symmetry nice?"

Posted by: FrancoBegbie

Nicely done.

On another note, Megskin is GIVING it to bamas! LOL...

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Portis, he good. He do what he do.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 7, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Remember the Schottenheimer year, 2001, when we got off that brutal 0-fer start by rising up from the dead [..] But the Skins have been sporadically terrible this season, so who knows...

Yeah, but we had Marty back then. That's Marty's MO, suck the first half of the first season by breaking the teams will and then clean up from then after. Now? Now, we just have Whacky Crazy-hair Zorn who just stays 'medium.' Medium is 8-8, middle of the pack, middle of getting nowhere, middling.

Posted by: Megskin | October 7, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Get a grip guys, if it was really that bad we would not have won the game.

Posted by: Megskin | October 7, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Get a grip guys, if it was really that bad we would not have won the game.

Posted by: mhaslup1

I swear on everything I love, I just busted out laughing when I read this.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I was specifically talking about the comments about Gaines Adams "manhandling" out OTs. Our O-line is terrible. Granted. What I'm saying is that if Adams was consistently beating our OTs, we would not have come back from 0-10 at the half. That's all. We're not good. I knew that from the start, which is why I'm not as upset as most people and why I don't blame Zorn or Campbell. Insert Lombardi and Manning and we'd still be 2-2 at best. Our personnel = not good.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 7, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jury, I don't know if you've been watching or at least following football other than the 'skins this year, but the Bengals have a damn good defense this year.

One of the better ones in the league.

And as we all know, a good defense always starts up front -- with the d-line.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FrancoBegbie

The Giants haven't won a game yet? Maybe we're still in this division race!!!

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 7, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Zorn is having an effect. Portis sounds medium in that interview.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

At least if we trade him after this year, we wouldn't incur the cap hit. Not sure how transferring the salary to another team works in an uncapped year.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 7, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

The Giants haven't won a game yet? Maybe we're still in this division race!!!

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 7, 2009 5:11 PM |

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the fact that every team we played was winless at the time we played them.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I think the Skins should have brought in Tyler Perry instead of Sherman Lewis to serve as another "set of eyes". If anyone spot someone who is doing bad it's TP.

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | October 7, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I'll love to see all of you that's f-ing with him because of his grammar (wtf is that about?) hop right back on his balls if, hopefully when, he goes for 150-175 and 2 or 3 TDs.

haslup, it's not only the personnel, it's the coaching as well.

And the front office too.

The whole thing is just f'd right now.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

"Why would you want to trade portis?
almost 1500 yards last year behind a crappy o line. You are ready to trade him after 4 games, get real. You think betts is better, what a laugh."

The crappy o line is exactly why I would trade him ... to get a draft pick you can use on an o lineman. I was really hoping they trade him last off season, maybe then we still could have gotten something of value for him. With a really good o line, you don't need great backs, just good ones.

Posted by: HighPlainsDrifter | October 7, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Exactly. A good Oline will take you far; a bad one condemns you to the gallows time after time after time.

Posted by: Megskin | October 7, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I cautioned about the "Stay Medium" junk last season...

Preach medium -- believe/think medium -- play medium

If players have to turn in their playbook when they leave, what does a coach have to turn in when they leave?

Whatever it is he needs to bring it to Snyder and Cerrato.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

FIRE VINNY FIRE VINNY

Posted by: CBinDC1 | October 7, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

What GM out there is going to trade for him? Please, please, please throw out a name, cause I'd really like to hear one. No one, but no one, is that incredibly stupid to trade for a 28 year-old running back with that amount of mileage and that big of a salary. People keep proposing this ridiculous notion that somehow, someone, somewhere wants him. Please people, get it through your heads, there isn't anyone that freaking dumb.

Oh wait, I just thought of one. But I guess we can't trade for him twice, can we?

Posted by: Megskin | October 7, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Ain't nothing philosophical about Clinton Portis.

Sad to see him winding down like a cheap watch.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 4:28 PM |

Man you on a roll today.

Posted by: FrancoBegbie | October 7, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

At this point i would take the crippled olympian with the metal blades for feet over Portis.

At least that guy would make a cool "swooshing" sound as he ran for only 2 yards on a 3rd and 5.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

haslup, it's not only the personnel, it's the coaching as well.

And the front office too.

The whole thing is just f'd right now.

Posted by: RedDMV | October 7, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Front office = personnel.

There's not a coach around that could do better than .500 with this group. I think Zorn has done an admirable job given his inexperience and I think the only reason you hire a guy like Zorn is if you think he will "develop" into an excellent coach and you're willing to endure a couple 6-10 seasons while that happens. This franchise is NEVER willing to do that because the front office over-estimates the personnel and the fan base is so demoralized that it no longer has patience for anything but instant gratification.

If Holmgren/Shanahan/Gruden doesn't go 10-6 or better in year one the front office will start looking elsewhere and the fanbase will howl for his job.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 7, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

We will trade Portis the day there are blackouts in the DC area for skins games.

WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

We dont want to admit it, but the skins actually are doing a relatively good job getting younger at a lot of positions.

Offensive line, running back and LB should be targets in the draft next season.

Lets all pray to god we dont try and get a qb when we could just sign a veteran for cheaper and he'd have time to throw.

Posted by: m1ke3i6 | October 7, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

m1ke3i6,

I agree, I think things could be much worse. The youth movememnt has begun. Zorn and Campbell will gel together and make good things happen.

I think Zorn may be stretched a bit thin and would like to see some help as QB Coach or an Offensive Coordinator.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Huh? There are no other no foolish teams or GMs out there? There are several badly managed teams who might have taken him in the offseason, who knows? He had a decent year last year, so maybe someone would have given up a draft pick for him. The real point is, our FO is too dumb to even try to trade someone on the downhill slide, before its too late. It would be nice if we schooled someone on a deal instead of being schooled ...

Posted by: HighPlainsDrifter | October 7, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Red, you are a piece of work. That's all I got. Thanks for the laughs.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 7, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Like the Lewis hiring, hopefully Zorn suborns his ego and accepts the reality of the situation - that he needs help. That may be his best and only chance to get this offense going and save his job.

Anyone know what picks the Jets gave up for Edwards? I heard it was Chancy Stuckey, a special teamer and 2 picks...any idea what rounds?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 7, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Not LMG,

Not exactly sure, but I think they can get as high as a second based on Edwards play...and a 5th.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Nobody will trade for Portis. If we cut him at the end of the season, there may be a few teams that would consider signing him for something a little better than vet minimum, but his numbers would have to improve substantially. Otherwise, he's just another former great RB who can't stay healthy for the whole season and is in decline after too many carries and is only useful for depth.

Posted by: edvar | October 7, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

CP is the kind of guy whose prima-donna act you put up with b/c he produces on the field when it counts.

However, the moment he stops being productive, he's the first guy you'd like gag and chuck out the back door...it's the risk you take being a self-centered loud mouth.

Posted by: p1funk | October 7, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

In CPS defense, he usually gets hurt because of his physical style of play.

He can still be apriductive back, but I think at his age and health he is a "part-time" back.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

If Joseph Heller wrote Carlos' biography, it would be called 'Drop-22'

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 7, 2009 3:25 PM

Possibly post of the year...

Posted by: 4thFloor

Maybe not THE post of he year, but certainly a Major Major Major Major one.

Posted by: TheCork | October 7, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

my littlr bro (the dude who txted in camp updates) waxing funny on his skins obsession: (written post giants loss)

"a Redskins win last Sunday would have made me excited for a week, even if i crashed my car, got fired, or got turned down by a chick. Redskins just have that control on me, so i guess i love them. But loving the Redskins is like experiencing blue balls, media hype, over paid players, fun and gun, and still no climax. But until they chose to say goodbye also, and peace out of D.C. ill love them regardless if i think they're similar to a female who just wants to dry hump. Sorry mom, i know you may not know the lingo.... but dry humping is making sex motions with cloths on."

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I love Portis but someone needs to find his English teacher and fire them!

Posted by: NYSkinsFan1

And yours. Teacher is singular, them is a plural word.

Posted by: TheCork | October 7, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

good joke exstender cork...

Posted by: chrislarry | October 7, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

He should break out a little slingblade...

mmm taters

Posted by: CheyenneWY | October 7, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

About Portis mangling of the lingua franca. He speaks better "English" than most crackers speak Ghetto. Many of these dudes are Bilingual, communicating in two different environments.

I get a kick out of white guys who rip on black cats and can't wait to assimilate their terms and attitudes and clothing styles dance steps into their own culture.

White guys didn't turn their hats around, or first speak Jive. And if you think it sounds bad listening to Portis mangle the so-caleld King's English, get a load of your own bad self trying to be ghetto cool in your bling and bad azz attitude.

Great example was the white guy with the Asian GF trying to talk his way out of a tuning up to the black guys in Eastwood's "Gran Turino."

Hey, it's ALL good....

Posted by: TheCork | October 7, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

I love it Cork. Well put. And that dude needed an a$$ beating just for being a snatch rag.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 7, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Not many backs would do much better behind this line.

I just watched a segment at NFL.com on how Portis is washed up in terms of fantasy football but the clips they showed from the Tampa game and the blocking was legitimately bad on several plays.

This conversation really does go back to OL.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | October 7, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse