Portis still feeling effects of concussion

Top running back Clinton Portis still is experiencing problems five days after suffering a concussion in the Redskins' last game, stirring questions about whether he might sit out the remainder of the season.

Portis has been ruled out of Sunday's game against the Denver Broncos at FedEx Field. After facing the Broncos (6-2), the Redskins (2-6) have seven games remaining. Coach Jim Zorn has said the team would exercise caution with Portis, and having him return to the lineup this season simply might not be in his best interest.

"He came in today. He still has a little, I don't know, if it was like a ringing in his head," Zorn said. "He checked in with our trainers. We sent him back home to keep him docile, if you will. We'll get a better evaluation next week."

At the very least, Portis might need to sit out another few games while continuing to be monitored by team medical personnel. But with some form of ongoing ringing in his head, Portis clearly should not be anywhere near the dangerous environment of an NFL field on game days.

"I'm not an expert concussions, so I would not begin to even try to speculate on" what the ringing in his head means, Zorn said. "I just know that we just have to be really careful with trying to get a guy back ... These are pretty difficult things to deal with. We're going to try to do the right thing."

By Jason Reid  |  November 13, 2009; 3:01 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Betts limited by foot injury but expects to play
Next: Punter Smith might return Sunday against Broncos

Comments

A little more info on McDaniels in college would have been interesting, like what position he played, how the team fared with him and Fletcher, and what he did after college etc. Just a suggestion. I guess now I have to go look it up on wiki...

Posted by: RambleOn | November 13, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

shut portis down for the year.....its Rock-n-Betts time....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 13, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

============================

??

Definitions of docile on the Web:

* willing to be taught or led or supervised or directed; "the docile masses of an enslaved nation"
* ready and willing to be taught; "docile pupils eager for instruction"; "teachable youngsters"
* easily handled or managed; "a gentle old horse, docile and obedient"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* Yielding to control or supervision, direction, or management; Ready to accept instruction or direction
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Docile

* docility - the trait of being agreeably submissive and manageable
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

* docilely - Submissively or obediently
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/docilely

??

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Zorn talks more and says less than any coach in the existence of competitive sports.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 13, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

2-14 and #1.... here we come!!!

Get Detroit's pick!

Okung and Spiller!!!

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 13, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

A reason to bring in LJ? I see it coming...

Posted by: richie_sheppard | November 13, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Portis' pockets docile.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 13, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"That's 1 starter for 2, and we need help at DE and RB."

Ayers doesn't start for them. He may in the future, but he doesn't right now (he also may not start for them in future, and just be a bust).

I think Denver did an excellent job remaking their team (7 new starters on defense), but I do not think they played their cards well early in the draft. They could have had Brian Orakpo and LeSean McCoy (DE and RB), but instead took Moreno and Ayers. Not exactly a home run there. Neither of Denver's selections have shown that their worth their slot thus far in their very early NFL careers.

Meanwhile, I think we did hit a home run with our one and only option early in the draft, which again is one of the few solaces we can take out of this season.

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | November 13, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I like to listen to some Portishead as well. Specially 'Humming'! Da-Dum-Psh Thanks I'll be here all week. Seriously is a great track, tho

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 13, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

PortisPocketStr8Jacket

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 13, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

2-14 and #1.... here we come!!!

Get Detroit's pick!

Okung and Spiller!!!

Posted by: Rypien11 | November 13, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I like it but we still need a right tackle. Pull Alex Boone off the Niners practice squad and see if the Rams let Alex Barron go. Between Alex^2 and Levi Jones we should be able to get a RT and move BMW to RG. Then use the 4th rounder on a center!!

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 13, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Broncs favored by 3.5....

Posted by: Realness1 | November 13, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"Ringing in his head." I swear Zorn's nickname ought to be "Dean Martin" b/c he is the best straight man in the entire NFL.

Posted by: nojunk4me | November 13, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Portis and Westbrook should both just retire. It's not worth dementia at the age of 50.

Posted by: smutsboy | November 13, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23

Posted by: psps23 | November 13, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------

This discussion started centering on the Orton for Cutler + picks trade vs Campbell for Cutler and we weren't offering two 1st rounders.

In that light, it doesn't matter that they might have whiffed a bit on the draft (which happens to the best of them), and it doesn't matter that we hit a home run. They put themselves in a better position by turning their 2006 first rounder into a mediocre QB + 2 first rounders, and while you are correct that neither are stars, they are both contributing to a winning effort.

Orakpo, for all his potential, is not (yet). And yes, it looks like we hit a home run with Orakpo, but we deserved one after striking out the side of last years 2nd round, where the Broncos picked up one Mr. Eddie Royal, who we'd all like around these parts about now.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 13, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a regular here, and I have only recently begun reading the weekly chat transcripts, but after reading today -- I just have to say -- my good GAWD, Jason Reid is TERRIBLE.

To think that people used to complain about the other guy!! The chat logs are insanely boring, with virtually zero incite or opinion ever offered by Reid. He seems extremely disinterested at best, and at worst, incompetent.

I don't mean to make waves, but I would be SHOCKED if someone else on the Post staff wouldn't be equally if not MORE interested in performing the job of "insider." At least let someone else run the chats!! Sweet JESUS -- just PRETEND man!! For our sakes at least!!

Has anyone else noticed this complete and total apparent apathy??

Posted by: MarylanDChris | November 13, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I think Portis will retire. I hope so, anyway. Love the guy and would love to see him back, but this is serious and brain damage is not worth it.

Posted by: League-Source | November 13, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

has JR posted his apology for the asanine waste of time his chat was today?

Posted by: themantoyou | November 13, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

That's what I'm saying...

Posted by: MarylanDChris | November 13, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

MarylanDChris,

Problem is JR did not participate in training camp and does not practice during the week, so he just doesn't get it done when needed.

Not to worry, once he comes up injured, Paul T. will come in and show what can happen when you practice.

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"We sent him back home to keep him docile, if you will."

HUH?? Not sure what Medium Jim meant to say there... but it sounds pretty peculiar none the less.

BREAKING NEWS

WASHINGTON REDSKINS SAID TO BE CONSIDERING NEW REALITY TELEVISION SERIES

We interrupt this commentary to bring you breaking news that...

CBS Television executives have contacted the Washington Redskins to ask about filming a new reality series in their locker room, playing fields and team offices.

According to the report, the network has been searching for another daily drama series to fill a vacant afternoon time slot since their longstanding soap opera "A Guiding Light" was pulled off the air earlier this year.

Given the popularity of the reality television and some obvious crossover marketing opportunities, Redskin officials were initially said to be very keen on the idea... and even offered up a title for the project, "As the Stomach Turns."

Team officials also suggested that Hollywood actor Tom Cruise would be perfect to play a leading role as a short, insecure and megalomaniacal team owner who is universally reviled by an entire city.

Unfortunately, the CBS programming executives later decided to revoke their offer when the team VP for football operations, Vinny “Bugeyes” Cerrato, got involved.

A network official explained that they had been hoping to work with a team liaison who isn’t a complete idiot. Unfortunately for the Redskins, they were unable to offer up any such liaison from their front office who has even an ounce of wits to work with. The network also bawked at Cerrato’s insistence that he be played by former “Sopranos” lead actor James Gandolfini.

Network officials also explained there's just too much drama and hysterics coming out of the team headquarters each day to make for a credible series, as the most audiences would have a hard time believing this is how you actually run a once-proud National Football League franchise.

However, before they entirely shut down any further consideration of a potential deal, the programming execs did suggest that the team might want to put their star running back -- Clinton "Rochester" Portis -- on injured reserve already -- and get him to the surgeon for the bone spurs -- a head shrink for ear ringing and player motivation issues -- and to Dr. Phil McGraw for his docility and sterility concerns.

Network executives suggested that the team should give Portis a whole off-season to “think up new excuses why he can't play, practice, condition himself, or even help to coach up some of the younger players.”

Posted by: Vic1 | November 13, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

All these "new" posters are..... JLC, slamming Reid because Reid is doing a better job on RI than the fat bag of pus did.

And I just looooovvvvveeeee MarylanDChris' pointed critique of Reid, featuring "incite" instead of insight, and this memorable closing line, "complete and total apparent apathy."

That cluster-f*** of contradicting verbs and adjectives can only be the product of LaCantStandYa.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 13, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

@Vic1

Maybe they could do something like when Dick Butkus came into the Montour High School program...

Just send in Russ Grimm or somebody with a camera crew and crack a beer.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | November 13, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

... where the Broncos picked up one Mr. Eddie Royal, who we'd all like around these parts about now.

You know, if you could show me how one or two of the three members of the fiesta trio were productive, I might buy that DT/MK/FD vs. Eddie Royal vs. DeSean Jackson is evidence of a bad pick.
Instead, I have every reason to believe that all five of those guys are about equal in raw physical football talent, and we have one head coach who doesn't know how to get his QB to implement his grand design on the field.
That's on the FO for picking the wrong coach.
That's on the coach for sticking to his system in spite of the talent that he has on hand.
That's DOUBLY on the coach for sticking to his system in spite of proven, repeated beatings at the hands of other bad teams.
That's TRIPLY on the coach for expressing shock that he had something he likes to do taken away from him because, FRANKLY, he proved to be incompetent at it.

Posted by: daggar | November 13, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth: We're too relaxed
By: John Keim
Examiner Staff Writer
11/12/09 6:41 PM EST

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth told Denver reporters that he's not comfortable with the culture of the locker room. Part of it stems from still learning how teammates handle things -- and then what that means as far as their performance is concerned.

Here's some of what he had to say:

On the mood of the team: "I think it's OK. It's kind of like a mixed feeling. Sometimes I'm not comfortable with how relaxed we are. Different people handle it different ways. At Tennessee if this is going on, I can tell how we're going to bounce back. If people are relaxed, it's not a good thing. This is at Tennessee. If everybody is tensed up and everything that means we're going to try to get better. Right now I can't really get the feel of the team and know exactly how we're going to bounce back."

On what he can do to help: "All I can really do is _ I stress a lot about it early in the season. I can't play 11 positions on the field or play a different position on offense or whatever. All I can do is go out there and do my job. That's all I've been looking to do."

On whether he was happier making less money: "You know what, I feel like I made a lot of money last year. Here these damn taxes are killing me. Last year it was fun with the winning. I'm glad to be on a new team and hopefully I can help this team right the ship and get back to that redskins football, that tradition they had in the past."

Posted by: TWISI | November 13, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | November 13, 2009 3:58 PM

Co-sign completely!

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 13, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Why do you think the Miami concussion test is graded on a curve?
Trainer: "What school are you playing for?"
Player: "The U..."
Trainer: "Good enough, get back in there."

Posted by: daggar | November 13, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

hip hip whatever. beep

Posted by: daggar | November 13, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

bling bling

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 13, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

BeanTownGreg1,

Iffin' you out there, I got a question for you. Since you were the one that always told me to just go away when I said at the beginning of the season that this Team was not in football shape, the question is:

Do you think that Clinton Portis ever got into football shape this season?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 13, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Portis should be smart and sit ou the rest of the season to not risk long-term brain trauma. It's pretty understood in the medical community that demential onset is much earlier among professional football players due to the constant violent collisions. The fact that Portis has not had more concussions at this point is surprising considering his running style.

In the offseason, it would not be surprising for the Redskins to reach an injury settlement and pay him the rest of his guaranteed money. I hope this is step one of an amicable parting unlike another former Redskins star named Lavar Arrington.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 13, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I do hope Portis sits out the rest of the season. As a FORMER supporter of Portis, I'm not comfortable with him anymore. From his lack of practicing, his aversion to over exertion, and for his brown nosing with an inept management staff, I hope that he has played his last down for us.

With the present shape of the team, I'd be proactive and play everyone who is breathing - find out whom you can trust, whom you need to get rid of. The wide receivers Thomas and Kelly need to be forced to perform to or show they are busts. We cannot afford to pamper them anymore or to coddle them. Either they show something or suck it up and get rid of them. Tight end Davis must step up his game. Any and all other wide receivers and running backs should be deployed. Let's test them in all situations and test them as receivers. New formations and schemes.

This season has been wasted to this point; we cannot afford to allow the last eight games to end in an unfocused mess. Better we lose games trying rather than lose games embarrassing ourselves. And who knows, we might find a jewel in the rough that we've hidden because they haven't been drafted high or don't have a pedigree.

Posted by: laserwizard | November 13, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Outstanding post about the Redskins appearing in a CBS reality soap opera, Vic1. Extremely well written satire. Most creative and funny as hell. Keep up the good work - it helps to have a sense of humor when our team is so pathetically bad.

Posted by: SkinsKen | November 13, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Aaah...Portis...we all knew that as NFL RBs near the age of 30 it may be time to go.....

The youth movement of this team commences further next year......

OL & RB (maybe QB) will be the targets of the draft and FA.....

So the question is....if its an uncapped year...do you keep Campbell as a Restricted Free Agent?? (have you seen the QBs that will be available in FA if it's uncapped?)

Then again....if we tag him then let him go we get draft picks in possibly the deepest draft in history.......

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | November 14, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Portis is the kind of dumb where a brain injury would increase his IQ.

I also hope he retires, it's not worth it and his has his Danny money.

great team Dan!!

Posted by: greatteamdan | November 14, 2009 4:13 AM | Report abuse

I hate to even think this but here it is....do you think Portis knows the team is going no where and is milking the concussion so he doesn't have to get beat up any more this season?? Personally I think he is far past his prime..depending on what we owe him I think we should let him go, especially if next year doesn't have a cap because it won't hurt us at all. At 28 years old he is done.

Posted by: jcrabbe1 | November 14, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse