Previewing Preseason Game 2

He survived the takeout larvae soup he got from an Ashburn establishment the other day, then made a daring escape from his undisclosed location, just in time to appear on "Washington Post Live" on Comcast SportsNet. Ladies, gentlemen and Jack's kids, Jason Reid:

Today's schedule calls for no media access as the Redskins prepare to play the Steelers on Saturday night at FedEx Field. Still, we'll keep checking in up here.

Portis to Bog: Tell Me When Team Gets to 53

Dan Steinberg continues his quest to discover, well, I don't know what, but he's definitely on a quest to discover something. Yesterday, he found out that Clinton Portis doesn't bother to get to know the new guys on the roster until it's reduced to 53. This even applies to Orakpo, Brian.

Turns out Portis isn't the only one with that philosophy.

By Cindy Boren  |  August 21, 2009; 7:55 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Bounty of Towels for 50,000 Fans
Next: Betts Expected to Again Have a Big Role

Comments

Big Ben is injured and probably won't play Saturday night. If the Skins defense cannot generate some plays in this one, there is really something amiss.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 21, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

I love Mike Tomlin. I wish Snyder had the stones (and the wisdom) to make a hire like that.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 21, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to TUIMMAL (throw up in my mouth a little) if Tryon's out there with the first string defense again. Hall and Rogers are both going to play Saturday, yes?

Posted by: TotallyTacos | August 21, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Calling attention to it is just going to make P-Burg's fans all the more resolute.

I wonder how overall turnout is going to be this season? w/ all the negativity I'm starting to think: 'not very good'.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 21, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 21, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

If you think about it, it certainly took "stones" to hire JZ as head coach, considering he hadn't even had a coordinator's position.

Was it "wise"? We have yet to see.

It's certainly easy to say the Tomlin hire was wise now that he's won a Superbowl, but hindsight 20/20 and all that...

Posted by: p1funk | August 21, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 21, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger injured his right ankle or foot during the last half-hour of the team's final training camp practice. It was not immediately certain how badly he was hurt or how long he would be out.

Roethlisberger had an ice pack on the back of the ankle when he was carted off at the end of Thursday's workout, with offensive coordinator Bruce Arians accompanying him. Roethlisberger didn't talk to reporters, but he could be overheard saying, "Oh it just feels great. It feels like a car ran over it."

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 21, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 21, 2009 8:21 AM

Yeah, he should have hired Russ Grimm. Absolutely everyone in the league thinks he would make a great head coach. Well, everyone except the four teams that interviewed him and didn't hire him and the other 14 teams that hired head coaches without interviewing him.

Be careful what you wish for, Brownwood. Oh! You already got it: Jim Zorn.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 21, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Was it "wise"? We have yet to see.

Posted by: p1funk | August 21, 2009 8:39 AM

Actually Tomlin was a wise hire from Day 1. I live up in PA and have followed Tomlin since he was hired and this guy says and does all the right things. I can see how the Rooneys were blown away by this guy. I've always said that his hire was not a slight against the very qualified Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm, but it actually highlights just how good Tomlin really is.

And I wouldn't say the JZ hire showed stones...it shows he was less likely than Jim Fassell to cause a riot outside Redskins Park.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 21, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

And here's something we ALL can agree on:

www.gotopless.org

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 21, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Geez, you all are late on the news.

You know the internets do operate 24/7?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 21, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

SEATTLE — Starbucks Corp. is raising prices on certain harder-to-make beverages – and cutting the costs for simpler ones like a plain cup of coffee, the company said Thursday.

The increases will be added to "complex" drinks, like the company's frothy blended frappuccino.

----------

A troubling development for the likes of TE and Nate, both HUGE fans of over-priced blended coffee beverages.

Anyone seen Stumped lately?

What about PDiddy?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 21, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

te....why??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 21, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Jury's still out on Zorn as a head coach, but the verdict is in on Dan Snyder as a manager of coaches: not that great. He falls in love with a particular candidate (almost always somebody with a big rep) and if he can't entice him, scrambles to make up lost time. As soon as he's got a substitute in place, he starts pining for somebody else (another guy with a big rep).

That's guaranteed to scare away some of the best candidates.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 21, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Officials at the Seattle-based coffee giant said prices will vary by region to cover higher labor and material costs.

Starbucks shares rose 10 cents to $19.22 in trading Thursday.

----------

Higher labor costs?

Yeah, I don't think so.

Starbucks pays their employees $8 per hour.

For shame!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 21, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 21, 2009 9:00 AM

Not sure where this comes from. I like Starbucks mugs, but wouldn't buy their coffee. Maybe by TE you meant Chris Cooley or Fred Davis?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 21, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I just threw TE's name out there (although he's the only non Pacific Northwest blogger mentioned) because I know he hates to not be included in obscure references on the blog

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 21, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Talking about you, but not to you!

;-)

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 21, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Re the article this morning, seems like Mitchell is a good choice for the 5th receiver, but I am only going on all of the recent “buzz” from teammates. I think Hagans is gone unless he has some really good plays and/or scores tomorrow, Hackett and that other guy are just fodder nobody else wants, and I would like to see Eloi on the practice squad. But my views could be different come Sunday morning of course……..

Anyone know who will start in Roethlisberger’s place? At least Leftwich is on a different team this year…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 21, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 21, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse
--------------------------------------------

I have said it before and I'll say it again - Zorn did not inherit a Super Bowl caliber team. Had Zorn walked into the Rooneys office, who knows what would have happened?

He would have had a stable defense with all sorts of teeth, an established QB, good WRs, good RBs, and a great FO... How much of that did Zorn get when he came into DC?

Squadoosh. Well maybe the RBs were good. But thats pretty much it. New OC, DC, HC, aging vets, cap issues, smurfs for WRs, holes in the secondardy, issues on both lines, the list goes on.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 21, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 21, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse
------------------------------------

Batch?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 21, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

If Marko Mitchell lives up to the hype, we just might have ourselves the most DOMINANT force on the practice field since Taylor Jacobs, y'all. I'm not gonna say it, I promised myself I wouldn't say it...

OH, SCREW IT! I'LL SAY IT!

"CHAMPIONSHIP!"

Posted by: TotallyTacos | August 21, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 21, 2009 9:25 AM

Completely wrong...Tomlin came in and took over a complacent team that was fat and happy off of its Super Bowl win 2 years earlier. They were old and injury prone on the O-line and their D-line is ancient (sound familiar?). Yes, they have franchise stars like Big Ben and Polamalu but their supporting cast was nothing to write home about, especially on offense.

The biggest thing about Tomlin is that he did a great job of balancing what to change and what not to. He's from the Tampa-2 style of defense (his specialty, by the way) and came in and left the defense as a 3-4 under Dick LeBeau. On offense he tweaked some things but stayed true to what Steeler football is. I'm still waiting on Zorn to realize that the only way to play with this offense is smashmouth.

So yes...Tomlin walked into a better situation. But it was because it's a better organization, not a more talented roster.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 21, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 21, 2009 9:08 AM

When I get back to DC, first thing I'm gonna do is try a cup of 'Bucks. If it's good enough for Nate.... Shoot, I might even stop at the nearest 'Bucks in Salisbury.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 21, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Ladies, gentlemen and Jack's kids, Jason Reid:

By Cindy Boren | August 21, 2009; 7:55 AM ET

I think the way it's phrased is "Ladies, gentlemen and Jack's kids of all ages."

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 21, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Another Year of Videos...

Another Year of Not Watching Them.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 21, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Another Year of Videos...

Another Year of Not Watching Them.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 21, 2009 9:59 AM

Amen, brother

Posted by: CBT2 | August 21, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Whoosh! The stock market just keeps going up. Too bad that Six Flags already went bankrupt. Me, 4thFloor, and Daniel Snyder coulda been billionaires!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 21, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Dunkin>'Bucks

Dunkin$$

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 21, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 21, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have Martin Short's email ADD?

Posted by: TotallyTacos | August 21, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

HEY - it cut off my comment... I guess it thot it was code...

Dunkin price

... is what I was tryin' to say...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 21, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

it did it AGAIN!

Dunkin's price IS LOWER than Starbuck's price...

lmfao...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 21, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

This question will be asked until someone answers it !

Does anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?
Does anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?
Does anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 21, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Marty wants to get your e-mail address first, before, you know, he commits to any kind of long term relationship...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 21, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

people have answered, you just don't pay attention...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 21, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 21, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

The average person who comments here have mental issues, but are afraid to seek professional help.

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 21, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have Marty S. email ADD ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 21, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 21, 2009 10:44 AM

I would see a shrink to help me get over my fear of seeking professional help, but I am afraid to go see one. It’s a downward spiral that I will never get out of. Guess I’ll just get drunk instead.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 21, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

mschottenheimer@espn3.com

Seriously, this is it.

Posted by: cj658 | August 21, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure he still has access to this address. I have a friend who is a prod. asst for ESPN (works at the Bristol office). He texted me the address after searching his outlook contacts. I am not kidding.

Posted by: cj658 | August 21, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I think Hackett gets the fifth WR slot if he shows willingness/ability to play on teams. Zorn's got to like his familiarity with the system especially when he's already dealing with three "project" type pass catchers (Kelly, Devin, Boozy). Marko's a practice squad guy this year, I'd say.

Posted by: dc-nc | August 21, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

To undercut Tomlin's performance as head coach is straight, um.. 'tard. Tomlin still has to coach 'em and keep them in line which he does very well. He's a disciplinarian, and still has the respect of majority of his players. In today's NFL that's rare. He, unlike Zorn, knows how to do it the right way when it comes to mentoring and disciplining his players. I'm sure that Tomlin would never have a war of words with someone on his own team through the media.

Tomlin doesn't even like talking to the media like that. That's the way a head coach should carry it. But not Zorn, he wants to be the media darling. Laugh and joke it up with the media and what not...

It's no secret that the secret is in fact out. The Dungy coaching tree has spouted.

brown26, has got the Tomlin analysis nailed. The Steelers weren't a SB team when Tomlin came on as head coach. The previous year, they weren't even that good.

And: "Had Zorn walked into the Rooneys office, who knows what would have happened?" -- Please stop. Zorn was a QBs coach forever and wasn't ever considered anything otherwise by anyone, not even the HC of the team on which he coached. Zorn was a panic hire. Plain and simple. Like brown said, if Fassel was hired, there would've been rioting, Watts style in Ashburn.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 21, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Beeps

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 21, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

All that may be true, but what if Rooney had Marty's email ADD?

Posted by: TotallyTacos | August 21, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Ithink Hackett gets the fifth WR slot if he shows willingness/ability to play on teams. Zorn's got to like his familiarity with the system especially when he's already dealing with three "project" type pass catchers (Kelly, Devin, Boozy). Marko's a practice squad guy this year, I'd say.

Posted by: dc-nc | August 21, 2009 10:59 AM

I sure hope they find a spot for him on the active roster, because a 6-4 guy, who can run and has good hands won't last the year on the practice squad.

Posted by: TWISI | August 21, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse