Campbell's play may draw attention

Quarterback Jason Campbell likely is playing to impress other teams for a job elsewhere next season. Although Campbell is a restricted free agent, it appears the Redskins will be moving in many new directions again, so Campbell's time in Washington could be drawing to a close. And if that's the case, the pool of teams that might be interested in Campbell could be increasing based his improved play of late.

Campbell had his best outing of 2009 in Sunday's 33-30 overtime loss to the New Orleans Saints at FedEx Field. He set season-highs with 30 completions (in 42 attempts), 367 yards passing and three touchdowns and a 111.9 passer rating. Campbell also threw one interception.

"Very sharp," Coach Jim Zorn said of Campbell's performance. "I thought today he really extended himself down the field with his vision. He saw receivers that were wide open. In the past, he's missed a couple of those things, but he was right on it. We took some shots today and made some big throws down the field and extended our offense."

Chats today

Cindy Boren chats at 11 a.m. today; Mike Wilbon chats at 1:15 (or thereabouts).

Gibbs, Theismann together again

Former Redskins coach Joe Gibbs and quarterback Joe Theismann will serve as analysts for NBC on the telecast of a first-round NFC playoff game Jan. 9, according to NBC. Mark Maske reports that Gibbs and Theismann will join play-by-play man Tom Hammond in what is believed to be the first broadcast-booth pairing of a coach and quarterback from the same team.

By Jason Reid  |  December 7, 2009; 6:28 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saints cite Moore-Meachem play as a key
Next: Sellers' injury a thigh contusion

Comments

FIRST to say Campbell will be a solid QB in Carolina. Book it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | December 7, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

This is the worst, most blatant fixing of a game I have ever seen. Yes it is ridiculous that Suisham missed and we probably would have lost either way, but was I the only one who heard the ref repeatedly blow the whistle like 50 times as soon as Sellers hit the ground. That means the play is dead and cant be overturned. Its a clear and simple rule. For some reason the announcers didn't even mention it which I thought was pretty fishy right away, and then they overturn it? Someone explain how this could happen. There are cameras out there, its not like we didn't see what happened. Someone explain how thats legal? I am so confused and I expected us to lose in OT but to see an NFL game be blatantly fixed like that is something I have never witnessed and makes me sad for this sport. Someone tell me I was hallucinating all 50 of those whistles to kill the play. Sellers didn't fumble and the play was not overturnable anyways. And how did the Saints get their timeout back? So many rules broken blatantly in one play. How does this happen?!

Posted by: bosshog7169 | December 6, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

to bosshog7169 - the rules allow down by contact to be reviewed. The whistle blew, but all that means is the ball can't be advanced by whoever picks it up. If the play is ruled a fumble after review, the recovering team (whoever it is) gets the ball at the spot of the recovery. No conspiracy. Winners win & losers lose. That's all.

Posted by: fanguy22 | December 6, 2009 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Actually I already knew the answers to my rhetorical questions and you are a confused little fanguy who doesn't know the rules. The whistle being blown means to stop fighting for the ball because the play is dead. Anything that happens after the whistle is blown can't be changed. Drop your attitude because you don't know what you are talking about. The whistle was blown right when Sellers hit the ground, not when the Saints grabbed it later after the whistle was already blown 50 times.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | December 7, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

I am not yet sold on Campbell. Yesterday may have been his best game yet.....BUT....

Remember Sexy Rexy? Good Rex one week, bad Rex the next? No consistency?

So, that being said, let's see a string of these games like yesterday....like thru the rest of this reg season, then he'll have that cred he deserved.............

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 7, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Bosshog7169. You're wrong. A fumble is reviewable regardless of when the whistle is blown. As long as one team clearly recovers the fumble, it can be reviewed. The problem in this case is that there wasn't enough visual evidence to decide that was a fumble, anyway, in my opinion.

Posted by: TotallyTacos | December 7, 2009 7:12 AM | Report abuse

He is only an restricted free agent if the league is uncapped next year, otherwise he is an unrestricted free agent. Given the number of holes that need to be addressed (OL, DB, RB, LB, DT, K), I wonder if the devil they know might be the better option at QB for the Redskins.

Posted by: tkoho | December 7, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

I agree a fumble is reviewable, however the problem with that paticular play was the fact that the whistle had blown. Watch the replay, Sellers goes down, the ball pops out, Sellers is lunging fighing for the ball as well as the Saints player, as soon as it pops out the side judge blows the whistle and rules Sellers down. Once that whistle was blown Sellers stops fighting for the ball because the whistle was blown. Now as NBC said last night "you have to play to the whistle" and that was a crap statement because the whistle blew well before the saints player actually picked up the ball. Once the whistle blows the play is dead and anything that happens after the whistle doesnt matter. In my opinion the skins need to point this out to the league office. Im saying that play is the reason the skins lost but the officials messed up that call and what really bothers me is the fact that none of the network announcers are talking about it. Im not saying it was a fixed game but I am saying it was a very bad call by the official.

Posted by: hudginsc | December 7, 2009 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Fanguy and Tacos are right "my little fat buddy". At least you have the D.C. way of late down pat. That is when you can no longer defend your position or belief because it is so wrong, you resort to personally attacking those who disagree with you.

Maybe Sellers fumbled and maybe he didn't, but would it have mattered if we had a kicker that could make a 23 yard field goal? It isn't just this one kick for Suisham either. This guy has always come up small in big situations and should have been cut after his abysmal season last year. We have the worst kicker in the league (thought that before yesterday's game) and it came back to haunt us...again.

Posted by: Hail_Victory | December 7, 2009 7:35 AM | Report abuse

I thought the play calling leading up to the missed FG was a bit conservative. I know the thought is up by 10, game over. But, we had success all day putting the ball in the end zone by throwing, why run, run, run? Suisham is done, his 3 missed FG's cost us 2 games. You can't miss 23 yarders and still be employed in this league.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 7, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

You can't miss 23 yarders and still be employed in this league.

Posted by: FedorEm

I don't know about that, Not sure if that was a bad snap or what

Posted by: alex35332 | December 7, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

FYI congrats to Jason Campbell for his new record in TD's in a season. Keep this up an the kid will actually be averaging more then 7 points a game.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 7, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

I strongly disagree with those saying Jim Zorn was wrong to go conservative on the playcalling leading up to the 23 yard FG. That was the right time to be conservative. Don't want to risk a turnover (and I think interceptions are more common than fumbles) and you would think the FG gets made at least 98% of the time.

Posted by: yaser800 | December 7, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

"Clearly the best game of Campbell's career. Head and shoulders above any other outing."

His play has been trending upward since the second half of the Atlanta game.

Now that the offense flows through him, he's rewarding the playcallers by making the throws he needs.

He's play well now that yesterday's redskins' stars--Portis, Cooley, Moss--are not the focus.

It's not his fault no one thought of calling for a bootleg when the team was near the goal line at the end of the game.

But it will be the FO office's fault if he hits the free market in an uncapped year.

Re-Sign him before the season ends.

He's affordable now.

He might not be later.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 7, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Hey Hudge. . . The rule this year was changed to allow for the review of the fumble even if the whistle is blown. Remember the blown call last year between San Diego and Denver were the qb clearly fumbled at the end of the game but they couldn't overturn the call? That play decided the game and they changed the rule for this year. You can review the play even after the whistle if there is a CLEAR recovery of the ball by one team.

Again, I still think they got the call wrong. I don't think you can call the play yesterday a fumble based on the visual evidence. However, it IS a reviewable play as of this year.

Posted by: TotallyTacos | December 7, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

"Again, I still think they got the call wrong."

The call on the Moore interception was correct.

The call on Sellar's fumble was totally wrong.

But ya' know what?: if the field goal is made, none of this matters.

What matters is the team continues to play hard and the offense is way better./

The redskins' offense looked like a modern NFL offense yesterday for the third week in a row.

And since that's my standard, I say we won yesterday by scoring 30 points in a loss.

Hail!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 7, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

So am I missing something Mr. Reid? Exactly what direction are the Redskins going in next season? Do you know something that we don't
Again whatever direction this team goes in if a football GM is hired and is allowed to hire a coach and they look at fil an thorougly evaluate the talent they will see Campbell definitely belongs an over achieved considering the tools around him, the bizarre play calling scearion..The BS surrounding his tenure in the preseason with potential trades for the two bums Cutler and Sanchez...
We need offensive lineman, a new stud running back , a strongside linebacker and corners..Devin Tomas and Fred Davis can play it took some time...

Posted by: TheBeatDontStop | December 7, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Hail!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 7, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Each loss is one step closer to a top 5 pick. I love to see the team win but I'm not going to complain if we draft Russell Okung.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 7, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Didn't ESPN have Jaws and Vermeil in the same booth for the second of the MNF openers a couple years back?

JC has earned the right to stick around at least next year with his play the last couple weeks. He and the young receivers really have developed a rapport. Do we really want to sit around watch Jimmy Clausen try to do the same for another year or two? This year's draft seems to have good QB depth. Draft Tony Pike in the latter rounds to replace Todd Collins, and we will have a stable of young arms (JC, Pike, Colt). One of them has to turn out, right?

Posted by: davereynaud | December 7, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Campbell torched a first game rookie and two backups starting for the Saints banged up secondary. More than half the Saints starting secondary was out.
Any team that picks up Campbell based on his padded stats will be sorely disappointed.

JC remains near last in Red Zone rankings of ALL QBs in the history of the NFL to ever throw for 900 or more attempts (211th out of 214).

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 7, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

If next year is an uncapped year, Jason is gone, plain and simple. Especially if Vinny is back calling the shots. I'd think he'd take a back-up role in a franchise that understands how to run a team than start here. And if Carolina gets rid of Delhome, look for Campbell to go there and possibly start.

Posted by: clark202 | December 7, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

It would be a terrible, TERRIBLE decision to jettison Campbell and go after a rookie QB. I don't know if I can endure two more years of sub-mediocre football.

BTW Colt McCoy looked like an infant playing against a real defensive line on Saturday night. Is he, or Clausen, really the answer?

Ask the Jets if Sanchez has made their year better (and THEY have had an O-line all year).

Posted by: whughes1 | December 7, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cliftonbiz | December 7, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse
========

Exactly. And Tom Brady put up about 800 yards and 11 TDs last week against that same banged up crew. owai

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | December 7, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

TotallyTacos- I was not aware of the rule change but I cant say I agree with it. Once the whistle blows the play is dead and players stop playing. Actually that is the first thing we are taught playing peewee ball, - once the whistle blows you stop. But thanks for letting me know about the rule change.

Posted by: hudginsc | December 7, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Never thought I,d see a fixed game this year but here I was, watching the big fix involving Brad Sellers (aka Seller) once again give up the ball and a joke of a kicker shank a 23 yard er, I said to my self this could only happen on a Jim Zorn, Jason Campbell led team, I am comforted however, with hopes that I will never ever see these clowns parade themselves as Redskins after the end of this season, what a sorry bunch .

Posted by: zimife1999 | December 7, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

yeah, he did fine until they needed him in that last drive and he once again threw a bad pass that was intercepted. he is very average at best and when you really need the play at the end he will not give it to you.

Posted by: cavalieri10 | December 7, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cavalieri10 | December 7, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bosshog7169 | December 7, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Bosshog you are wrong! That use to be the rule but they changed that I think as of this year. That play can be reviewed even after the whistle has blown.

Posted by: wstclair | December 7, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

You act like Jason Campbell does not have a brain. Do you think Jason Campbell will resign with this team? Do you think he forgot the hits he took because he has never had an offensive line? Do you think he forgets how abusive Dan Snyder is? Do you think he thinks anything will ever change in this mad house? Come On Jason. Jason Campbell will never come back here. This team stinks and Dan Snyder will figure out a way to undermine whoever comes in here to coach. Jason Campbell can get a job with 15 teams. His agents first question- Who is your offensive line? Not one answer could be worse than the Redskins. Jason Campbell is gone. Forget about it. You act like someone wants to play on this team. You act like someone wants to be abuse by Dan Snyder. Forget about it.

Posted by: HelloNewman1 | December 7, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I wish JC all the best whether it is as a Redskin or in another uniform. He has proven time and time again that he is a classy person and a very solid NFL QB...the unfortunate thing is that the Redskins are after that...they want sizzle and JC is not sizzle.

Posted by: cedric_lockhart | December 7, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Yeah it's amazing what you can do if you have the time. Greg "Gumbo" Williams didn't send the pressure yesterday so Campbell could do his thing.

Thanks to Cerrato's offensive line negligence, the Redskins will struggle against any team that has enough healthy defensive bodies creating pressure. Thank you Vinny!

Posted by: goatdiddler | December 7, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I am truly happy for Jason Campbell and I am turn between my love for my hometown and my desire to see a classy professional athlete who has done none but what has been asked of him under the with little to no support from his team management.

I really dont want to see Mr. Campbell leave because having had the opportunity to watch him as a collge athlete and now on my home town team but Mr. Snyder and the disloyal local fans deserve to see him leave this team, get a proper pay day (like so many other former Redskins have done) and flourish with a consistant offensive line and play calling that fits his skill set.

For all of you that have been calling for a replacement for Jason be carefull for what you wish for. Hard nose, character guys do not grow on trees and we have one. Now if Mr. Snyder and whatever individual he has putting this team together for him will put together an offensive line for this man we will have a quarterback for the next ten years.

Posted by: skinniedee62 | December 7, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Name a Starting Redskin QB with a higher passer rating then Campbell since 1977? How's about since 1963?

Gibbs won't get a word with Joey T. The man can't shut up and he doesn't have a clue. Campbell is abetter QB than Theisman.

Posted by: omarthetentmaker | December 7, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

JC has proven throughout the year to be a tough, classy, and strong competitor. He may not be a 'frachise QB' as Snyder wanted but who is besides P. Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers, and Big Ben? After those 5 elite QB's who have proven their mettle and taken their teams deep in the playoffs, the next level are guys like McNabb, Romo, E. Manning, Schaub, and Hasselback. Certainly JC has played as well, if not better, than Romo and Eli at times behind a worse O-Line and with less weapons.

If the Redskins jettison Campbell (or more likely a smart team signs him to a long-term deal to be their starter), the Skins set the team back likely 3-5 years in HOPES that a rookie QB like Locker, Claussen, or McCoy is the answer. Behind a rebuilt line with aging skill position players (Moss, Portis, etc.), this is a recipe for disaster. Even Rivers and Eli needed 3 full seasons before they were effective starters on teams with far deeper rosters.

It's a shame that Snyder and Cerrato have treated JC so poorly that he'll likely want to leave regardless of a coaching change. I'm sure he knows that the organization was not behind him and will want to go where he is wanted. The Skins are now finally using his talents after the playcalling was turned over to a consultant and he is doing well behind a line that is finely giving him some pass protection. Zorn is a buffoon and set him back for almost a 1 1/2 years until he was stripped of playcalling. That again falls on the owner/front office who decided a West Coast offense was the answer despite the talent in place on the roster.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 7, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Campbell must go.. Yes he played well overall yesterday but remember 3 of the Saints CB's, including their 2 starters were out. And the bottomline is the Skins lost again. two weeks agao he only scored 6 points and when the Skins need a final drive to win he couldn't do it. Last week the Skins needed a final drive and JC threw a pick. And yesterday again Campbell couldn't lead the Skins back after the game was tied and again he threw a pick. Campbell is not clutch.. he cannot find a way to win. 5-17 his last 22 games.. Campbell must go.. 4 games left and counting..

Posted by: sovine08 | December 7, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

It is amazing how well a QB can do when they have a competent NFL playcaller and half a line. BTW, Bugel should be the assistant of the year by getting this bunch to play this well.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | December 7, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

In response to those call for Campbell to go, shouldn't Dallas get rid of Romo who can't win a key December or playoff game despite having a great O-Line, top position players, and a real coaching staff? Romo, P. Manning, and McNabb would have fared no better playing in the Redskins organization the last 5 years. In fact, I think Romo would have never lasted this long as he is not a tough player.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 7, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wizfan89
____
Dallas real coaching staff??? WR's that drop balls all day.. defense that's not nearly as good as the Redskins.. yet at least they are in the playoff hunt. Look If Romo doesn't start playing better and the Boys don't start winning in Dec he and a lot of other guys will be gone in Dallas too.. Thing is I don't care about Dallas or Romo.. The Skins are not successful with Campbell at QB.. all you guys blame the OL but these last three weeks Campbell has hardly been touched and they still lose. 5-17 their last 22 games.. If that was Romo's record he would have been gone...

Posted by: sovine08 | December 7, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell deserves to be on a good team.

This Sunday illustrated to the naysayers that this man can play. Who would've thought that JASON CAMPBELL of all quarterbacks would OUTPLAY DREW BREES? Because of a bunch of significant failures in execution by other players, Drew Brees seemingly played better, but Brees was clearly out of rhythm until the last 2:00 of regulation and OT. Prior to Shaun's missed PAT-range FG, FOX had a shot of an obviously defeated and dejected Drew Brees, knit hat on, sitting on the bench; Drew knew that he had been outplayed, and he knew that a FG would seal the game.

My intuitions were correct: place Jason behind good blocking, give him time, and he can play or outplay the best.

I still saw people post that despite yesterday's performance, Jason would still not have a Hall of Fame career. My response: HALL OF FAME QUARTERBACKS ARE NOT TWINKIES. HoF QBs are gems, and few teams are fortunate to obtain them. Guess what? The Redskins won three Super Bowls with ZERO HALL OF FAME QUARTERBACKS. Do you realize how difficult it is to be a HoF QB? Jim Plunkett started and won two Super Bowls, but he probably will not be in the HoF.

The organization WILL regret letting Jason go. It will be a momentous mistake by the Redskins when they let go an upstanding, mature, hard-working, and, most importantly, high-performing quarterback.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | December 7, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

While I'm not sold on Campbell as a long-term prospect, I would argue that signing Campbell now would bring some stability to the organization - it is obvious that part of the problem on the offense was Zorn's play-calling and that the number of weapons Campbell is hitting has almost doubled since that change. The offensive line has at least stabilized until the next injury, so the balance of the season should continue to show promise. That is not to say this lineup is the answer - it isn't. But considering the CRISIS that existed five games ago, at least we can take a breath - albeit a brief one.

The other striking thing about this post Atlanta game era is that we have play-makers that have been kept off the field for too long. As this season is progressing, it is amazing to see the development of the three 2008 draft picks on offense. Finally they are starting to pay dividends and there now seems to be an upside to them.

Should Zorn be given another year? Earlier in the season I'd say no way - he clearly isn't a personnel guy with any talent for determining who should be on the field. I do think his hand is now being forced and he can't keep these younger players off the field should he be here for season three. And while we joked that the bingo caller was not the answer, maybe he was! After seeing his game plan (perhaps except for redzone calls), he calls a much better game than we could have expected.

2010 should be a hunt for a strong GM who Snyder can work with and then we should use 2010 to selectively upgrade this team on the offensive line and to trade some current veterans for more draft pics. If that means we have to cut loose Cooley or types like him to build a greater team, then we need to do it. I really like Cooley, but this is business. Others like him with value need to be leveraged if there is a current younger player which has shown promise.

Posted by: laserwizard | December 7, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

This Sunday illustrated to the naysayers that this man can play. Who would've thought that JASON CAMPBELL of all quarterbacks would OUTPLAY DREW BREES? Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake
_____
Please give it a rest.. Bruce Gradkowski of the Raiders outplayed Ben Roethlisberger yesterday and won.. does that mean he is better? or would have won 2 super bowls if he played on the Steelers? please one game doesn't prove a thing.. The Saints were coming off a big Monday night win vs the Pats.. it was a week they took off a little.. meanwhile Skins players wee calling it THEIR Super Bowl.. and still the Saints won. Campbell had great numbers but the Saint defense had a lot of guys hurt. These games happen better teams get outplayed by weaker teams.. but the best find ways a way to win them anyway which the Saints did. JC can hold his head high.. but his stats show this game was the exception not the rule. Campbell has 4 games and counting with the Skins left as it should be...

Posted by: sovine08 | December 7, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Jason and Cindy,

A few years ago, fans and front-office types in San Diego insisted that Drew Brees wasn't a quality QB, but that they would keep him around while grooming a rookie.

As it turns out, Brees may end up being one of the best ever (statically) and JC went toe to toe with him and gave as he got.

How many other QBs in NFL history have had to learn as many offenses in as few years and have played as well as JC?

Posted by: Redskinrex | December 7, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

I had to Laugh at some of the comments here. ONE I repeat ONE good game where Campbell throws a pick at the end of the game and he's the next Drew Brees REALLY! REALLY! come on! Good QBS win you games!!! Campbell normally doesnt lose the game for you. heres the move. DEAL Portis Moss and Cooley for draft picks 2nd 3rd round use them on all O line keep campbell and use your #1 on colt Mccoy or something of the like.

Posted by: VGOGHEDGE | December 7, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse