Rabach 'encouraged' that a Redskins deal can be done

On Thursday, we reported that the Redskins this week reached out to the agent for center Casey Rabach, who next week can become an unrestricted free agent. Retaining Rabach is a priority for the Redskins, who had one of the league's worst offensive lines last season.

We caught up with Rabach, who is hopeful of reaching an agreement with the Redskins before the market opens.

"Well, I definitely want to still be in Washington and I feel I can still play and help the team," Rabach said in a phone interview today. "It was rough at times last year [for the offensive line], but everyone kept working and kept trying to help us win games. I feel good [physically] and feel like I definitely have good years ahead of me."

The Redskins have finished last in the NFC East in three of the past four seasons, but Rabach believes the organization now is on the right path behind Coach Mike Shanahan and General Manager Bruce Allen. "All the changes that have been made will definitely help the team," Rabach said. "They bring in a coach with great credentials, who has won Super Bowls, and a general manager who has put together some good teams. It's just very exciting what they've done in Washington and what they're going to do in the future. So you definitely want to be part of that."

Rabach declined to comment on the status of the team's negotiations with his agent, but a person familiar with the situation said the sides opened talks Monday and plan to continue to work toward a potential deal during the combine.

"I'm encouraged that something can be" worked out," Rabach said. "Obviously, a lot of things are done during the combine. Not just with soon-to-be draft picks but free agent-wise.

"Hopefully, something gets done soon, and everybody's happy. Obviously, you don't know what's going to happen until everything is signed. But I think there's a chance something could get done."

By Jason Reid  |  February 26, 2010; 4:24 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Shanahan expresses 'admiration' for Campbell
Next: Redskins hire Malcolm Blacken and Chad Englehart as strength coaches

Comments

One Less O-line needed... now draft QB!!

Clausen, Clausen, Clausen!!!

Posted by: tony325 | February 26, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Tebow gets drafted in the first round.

of the cfl draft

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Yep, dont need to take Okung now..Weve got Casey coming back!!! Lets focus on Clausen now! Ummm your an idiot of the highest caliber Tony325

Posted by: ocskins | February 26, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Tony325 is clearly a kid.

They will not waste #4 on either Bradford or Clausen ... now should they fall to the 2nd round where the Skins have the #4 pick in that round? However, they could then lose a player who would start immediately, someone they desperately need by doing this.

Will they trade Campbell and Cooley for picks? Lord knows they probably need the picks more. They can always sign a veteran QB like a Carr. They would have to be pretty darned good picks.

Posted by: periculum | February 26, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

You guys started non-stop draftblogging last October and now you're all above watching the Combine. Man that's rich.

Posted by: SMACK1 | February 26, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Is this good news? I've always felt like Rabach was more of a liability than an asset. He seems to be penalized at the worst times. Well I guess if they are bringing him back they think he can help out. Maybe Pouncey will be available in the 2nd and he becomes a non issue.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 26, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

As far as the Lions are concerned they could take Okung but they still have to pay Backus and I think upgrading Gravy Jackson may be better than upgrading Backus. I think they'll go for McCoy. They could easily have a decent front 4 on defense. I think they'll take the D tackle in the first then a runnig back in the third and then try to get some interior linemen later. They could actually be decent in a year or two.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 4:43 PM

I see a lot of posturing by all the teams in the draft.

Rams: recent drafts- Carriker DT, Long DE, Smith OT all high 1st rd picks. If they pass on a QB, I would be shocked although it would be a severe reach. Bradford/Clausen/Suh. This is why they are trying to move down.

Lions: There is talk of them moving Backus to OG since he is a 10 year vet and taking Okung. QB last year LT this year is my take. Still could be Suh or McCoy, because they could squeeze another year out of Backus @ LT.

Bucs: Suh, McCoy or Berry. My bet is Suh.

Skins: If it goes down Bradford, Okung, Suh…We would be staring at Clausen, McCoy, or Berry. I would pick between McCoy and Berry and choose the next Ed Reed in Berry. Rationale is that you don’t reach in the Top 10, you take impact players and Berry is either the 1st or 2nd best overall player in the draft while Clausen is somewhere between the 15-30th..

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

One Less O-line needed... now draft QB!!

Clausen, Clausen, Clausen!!!

Posted by: tony325 | February 26, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

One less O-lineman needed.......LOL, what a maroon.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 26, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Tony325 is clearly a kid.

Posted by: periculum | February 26, 2010 5:01 PM

Clausen's 11-year-old brother.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Well BERRY would not be my personal preference, but you're right Diesel, in the top ten, you've got to go with the best player. Just because you pick him doesn't mean he's yours when the draft is over. Especially when it's a three day event, and more can be accomplished after hours over a full glass.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 26, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Tony325 is clearly a kid.

Posted by: periculum | February 26, 2010 5:01 PM

Clausen's 11-year-old brother.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Now that's funny. LOL.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 26, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ocskins | February 26, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________

Oh, I'm sorry... Last time I checked, there were pro bowl QB's & winning QB's with bad offensive lines (Rodgers & Big Ben).

If Adam Shefter is right (hard to believe, someone wouldn't fill his ear with garbage knowing that Shanny is his guy) & Rams are taking Bradford over SUH... what does that tell you??

That QB is more important than any OL/DL!!! You don't know when you will ever have another top pick & another shot at a difference making QB...

All of the support for JC is unwarranted & dumb, those are the idiots that keep making excuses for why Campbell can't win games in the 4th Qtr when it's there for the taking... It's always the OLine's fault... winners WIN, losers LOSE & that is what JC is... A LOSER! 19 - 35!!! ... Clausen ALWAYS gave ND this season a chance to win the game but their defense F'd it up every time. That's the guy I want with 2 mins left & score needed. Everyone has strong feelings about Notre Dame (either love em or hate em) but they are letting their hearts get in the way of a good decision.

Quote from Golden Tate:

Tate also gave a bit of insight on teammate Jimmy Clausen -- one of the most high-profile QBs available this year. "Jimmy's consistent and he showed up every day ready to work. Every day we got the same Jimmy. I am pleased with what he did for the program. Overall, he did a great job... Coach Weis prepared him for the NFL and I think he will be successful."

Also, look how dude got better & better every season... from sophomore to junior he went from 25TDs - 17 int's to 28 TD's & 4 int's... 7 to 1 ratio as a junior... rediculous!!!

Posted by: tony325 | February 26, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I think they'll have to cut Backus or trade him if they take Okung. He's said he won't move to guard. That makes me feel better but I'd draft Okung if I were them and try to move Backus for a bag of footballs. I guess some of the in house opinions are that the issues on the line are attributed to the interior line and not Backus. I hope that is true. I still wouldn't rule the Bucs out on taking Okung either.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | February 26, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Tony325 is clearly a kid.

_________________________

F You people!!! HAHA

Posted by: tony325 | February 26, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 26, 2010 5:15 PM

Wiz signed PG Shawn Livingston to a 10 day deal. He was the 4th pick a few years back and blew up his knee. Thabeet 2nd pick in 09' to the D-league...dolt

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo rabach sucks
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
at the most give him vet min
booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
rabach sucks

Posted by: retroskins14 | February 26, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | February 26, 2010 5:19 PM

I like Clausen over Bradford but #4 is too high IMO for either. Don't let these blog bullies deter you from posting your opinions. Most of them are just old curmudgeons.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 26, 2010 5:15 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanx for the update Dieselman.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 26, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | February 26, 2010 5:19 PM

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Damn, exposed again.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 26, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Im with Diesel. If Okung is gone, then Berry. Let lightning strike twice, and let Berry be the second coming of ST21. There is something to be said for star power, Sean Taylor was a star, and the team hasn't been the same since. Berry's the a good "star" candidate.

Posted by: bleedburgundy | February 26, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | February 26, 2010 5:22 PM

Where to begin. You start your pro Clausen argument talking about how there are pro bowl qbs with bad lines. The lines in Green Bay and Pittsburgh arent great, but both qbs you mention are known for holding the ball too long.

You then call Clausen a difference making qb and fault JC for not being a winning qb. Clausen has never had a winning season at ND (unless you count their Hawaii bowl win) and has fumbled away the ball on the last drive of the game. You then quote Golden Tate as if he is going to say yeah my teammate is highly overrated and lot of his TD passes were due to me being great with the ball after the catch.

Long story short the skins would be fools to take him at 4. Pick 37 is another story. I think the best bet is to grab a qb in the 4th, maybe Snead, and two years from now if they are not happy with the qb Matt Barkley will be available.

Posted by: KingJoffeJoffer | February 26, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tony325 | February 26, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse
____________
I don't think Clausen has the arm strength or the intangible leadership ability to be worthy of the #4 pick. And you're naive to believe that it would be better this year to draft QB ahead of OL. You show your immaturity by broadly declaring JC a "loser" when, although he certainly has his faults, the team had major, glaring weaknesses last year (ie, overwhelmed coach who continually made horrible/atrocious decisions and designed game plans that were just plain bad, a horrible/atrocious OL, mediocre at best running game, secondary that couldn't cover talented receivers very well and tried to jump too many routes instead of just covering the receiver (hello, DHall), etc.). No QB - not Elway, Montana, or Johnny Unitas could have taken that team to the Super Bowl or even deep into the playoffs. Both the Steelers and the Packers had many more strengths in other areas than we had. The biggest weakness that needs to be fixed this year is the OLine, starting with the LT. Clausen would only get ruined behind the Oline after getting sacked a zillion times (see Carr, David), and he really strikes me as having something of an attitude problem, which would only make it worse.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 26, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I recall quite a few plays last year which featured Rabach and Campbell arriving in the backfield nearly simultaneously.

Of course, Campbell had to use his feet to get back there, while Rabach was performing reverse levitation.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | February 26, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Whoa now - ST21 was good but he wasn't a star. Ronnie Lott was a star. Taylor was no Ronnie Lott.

Since my man Bradford will be off the board at #4, I say take the athletic tackle from Rutgers 1st round and guard/center Pouncy 2nd round.

Posted by: coparker5 | February 26, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | February 26, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Talking to RABACH about anything other than packing is a true indication of just how far this o-line rebuild needs to go.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 26, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm entering hyper-analysis

Watched the video of Shanahan a few times, trying to read between the lines. Shanny got asked 3 consecutive questions about Campbell. Would he be tendered and offer. Shanahan said yes. How much? Shanahan gave a flippant answer. The 3rd question was the key one.

Will Campbell would be here? He looked at the questioner and with an amused expression that I'm interpreting as follows -- "Nice try, but I'm not tipping my hand"

If Shanahan knows that Campbell is going to be here, Shanahan doesn't have to worry about 'tipping his hand'.

Translation -- this is the most concrete evidence that I've seen that tells me Shanahan wants to replace Campbell. It doesn't tell me that he will do that in 2010. But ... if the right QB is available at the right price, Shanahan's answer tells me that he pulls the trigger.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 26, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | February 26, 2010 5:53 PM

ST broke the mold @ FS. He was a once in a generation athlete at that position. Lott was a converted CB that was forced to play safety. Lott is the gold standard at safety only because ST was murdered, ST would have gone down as the GOAT (greatest of all time). So yes ST was a star, his just burned out to soon.

Davis is not a fit and projects most likely as a RT. Pouncey would be a great get in the 2nd, but he projects as a late 1st.

ST = sacred cow

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

___________________________________

How do you know?? Nobody will know who is who for 2-3 years... If I'm Seattle, he's not getting past my 2nd #1 at 14, but I don't see him getting past Buffalo at #9.

QB is #1 position that can take you to the promised land... how soon could Atlanta forget Vick?? Matt Ryan sure helped... yes, you can win with a mediocre guy & a good defense, but what's Ravens record vs Colts... oh say last 7 times... 0-7.... QB trumps DEFENSE!

Posted by: tony325 | February 26, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 26, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Right price......BRADFORD in the fifth round would be nice.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 26, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: coparker5 | February 26, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse
__________

Be careful what you say about ST21 in here...alot of people still have strong feeling about him. Not only that, but he did have Ronnie Lott's level of talent. Only time could have told what he might have acheived. What a shame.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 26, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

ST = wins. As dominant as he was becoming, he was beginning to lift every player on the team. That's what I meant by star power. If Okung is gone and we're stuck at 4, Berry is well worth considering if the coaches feel he can become that kind of player.

Posted by: bleedburgundy | February 26, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

___________________________________

Posted by: tony325 | February 26, 2010 6:06 PM

How do I know that these blog bullies are just old curmudgeons? If you waste enough time on here it will become very apparent. It won't take you 2-3 years to realize this.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

heard on sirius nfl radio that shanny in an interview was quoted as saying he expects big things from CP this year. I still think that we should use his 10 mil per elsewhere but in shanny I trust. also heard the rams are chosing between the 2 DTs and 2 QBs. gotta think they'll choose which ever DT will accept the smaller contract or less guaranteed dollars but the QBs are just to see if someone wants to trade up. no way is clausen top 20 talent let alone 1st overall

Posted by: hcic55 | February 26, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 26, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

__________________________________

More JC apologies...

You haven't done your research... It has already been said that Clausen has a bigger arm than Bradford. Here is a quote from our old GM Casserly:

Sam Bradford: Feeling 'unanimous' Bradford > Clausen
Sam Bradford - QB - CLG - Feb. 26 - 1:35 pm et
After speaking with numerous NFL executives, CBS' Charley Casserly says the feeling is "unanimous" that Sam Bradford is a superior prospect to Jimmy Clausen.
Gregg Rosenthal has reportedly heard the same at the Combine. Both quarterbacks had impressive weigh-ins, but Bradford's accuracy and athleticism are clearly superior. Clausen may have the slightly better arm. Both passers still appear likely to be off the board by pick No. 7. Feb. 26 - 1:35 pm et
Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

You all are missing the point... JC is his own worst enemy... YES his OLine sucked... YES I like JC as a person... I just want a damn QB that can read the defense before the ball is snapped!! JC is horrible at this & reason some plays take way too long to develop. If it's not Clausen, then please find a QB that is smart at the line of scrimmage pre-snap who understands coverage & can sniff this out before the play even starts.

I just see Clausen as a Shanny type... A guy that he can take to the next level who has a little moxy/confidence & doesn't look so lost all the time.

Posted by: tony325 | February 26, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

ST21 was a terrific player and might have become an all time great, but he wasn't Ronnie Lott. Got to see Lott play out here, to borrow from Diesel, Lott is the gold standard.

Taylor was one of very few guys who had the potential to be in that category. It wasn't until his last season that he really seemed to have fully gotten the FS position.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 26, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone up in arms with what we do with the 4th pick? A QB, granted, is risky. An Olineman is more of a safe bet, but we DO need a QB. I have'nt seen anything that resembles a franchise QB, long term from Jason Campbell.

I think Campbell will get a one year or two year deal. They will draft a QB.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 26, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell does NOT have the intangibles needed to be a Super Bowl QB...

This man has not led us to ANY 4th Quarter comebacks...

He is slow to read defenses and release the ball...

I could see the apologist's point if this was his first or second year. I used to be the biggest apologist...but not anymore.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 26, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

One rational reason the Redskins may pick a QB instead of OL.

Because of the potential for a rookie cap, this years draft is flushing out a lot of collegiate talent. This means next years draft will be depleted. So unless, you're completely sold on JC, you take a chance on drafting a promising QB now, hold on to JC just in case (Collins and Brennan are both third string talent anyway), and build OL through lower picks this year and next.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 26, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

....

Posted by: tony325 | February 26, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse
________________

When did I ever say Bradford had a better arm than Clausen? I didn't. Read my post first before you respond next time. I don't think Bradford's worthy of a #4 pick either. I watched both of them in college and neither one really impressed me to the extent that I'd draft them at the top of round 1.

You're right in saying that JC doesn't seem to be very astute at reading defenses, but my point is that no QB is worthy of a #4 pick this year, and there's a LT that is worthy. I think that JC with good coaching, a decent Oline and running game could be a pretty good QB. And if not, then we'll have another high draft pick next year to find a QB.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 26, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I would like okung 4th then tackle or gaurd in 2nd then QB in later rounds.no longer feel lafevour is gonna fall to 4th. I've waited so long for JC to become a solid QB and maybe shanny's the coach to do it, but he does still possess some flaws that a 5th year player should have overcome by now. terrible oline play, and its terrible, has nothing to do with poor presnap defensive recognition. He is gonna be cheap compared to most other options so here's hoping that shanny "fixes the glitch"

Posted by: hcic55 | February 26, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

"Both quarterbacks had impressive weigh-ins, but Bradford's accuracy and athleticism are clearly superior. Clausen may have the slightly better arm. Both passers still appear likely to be off the board by pick No. 7."

Weigh-ins? They're judging QBs by their weigh-in?

I thought neither even threw at the Combine.

This is the height of idiocy.

Here's what we know about these two QBs.

Bradford is very accurate and throws well from the pocket or outside it. He has a history of injury involving one shoulder. He's a little taller than Clausen.

Clausen has been tutored in a pro-style offense. He's a deep passer first and is best when he's protected in the pocket. He has no significant injury history.

Everything else is, well, the weigh-in. We're going to have to wait for Pro Day.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 26, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE STOP THE SEAN TAYLOR TALK!!!!

Half of ya'll talked about him bad when he was alive, now you wanna make him Ronnie Lott.

At least be consistent...

Taylor was a special player on his way to elite...Ronnie Lott he was not...but I will say this...he instilled the same fear.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 26, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

How do you know??

Posted by: tony325 | February 26, 2010 6:06 PM

How do I know that these blog bullies are just old curmudgeons?

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 6:22 PM

It's because he's an old curmudgeon and that causes him to assume everyone else is like him. In reality, it's just him and Cork. Rest of us are in our prime of life.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I think Campbell will get a one year or two year deal. They will draft a QB.

Posted by: rickyroge | February 26, 2010 6:27 PM

Why? Thanks for asking...Because if they miss with a QB @ #4 then it will set the franchise back the full length of Shanny's contract. And while I agree we need a QB for the future, there is too many red flags with Clausen and Bradford.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge

Well actually, Campbell matched the Cards -- and beat them

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 26, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Diesel...

What if one of those guys is a BEAST?

Posted by: rickyroge | February 26, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

"Green Bay's Oline stinks like ours, but Rogers managed to match touchdowns with the cardinals...NO WAY IN HELL CAMPBELL COULD DO THAT."

No, that's certainly true. I was frankly amazed at what Rogers was able to do in that Arizona game. Time after time the defender missed the ball by an inch, no more. You have to give a lot of credit to the WRs and the TE because some of those catches they made were remarkable.

But you see that and you have to wonder, how often can any QB get away with that sort of risk-taking? If you put Rogers on a team with less adept receivers, would his play suffer a whole lot?

Posted by: Samson151 | February 26, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

D44,
Yes, there is a risk of using #4 on QB. But if there were any few red flags on these guys, they would most certainly be #1 picks.

I sure hope we don't have the number 1 pick next year. I hope our first is way down there.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | February 26, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest....

Would you rather have Campbell or Rodgers?

Posted by: rickyroge | February 26, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Why are we still talking QB?!?! Anyone who knows football knows that it starts with the lines!!! Drafting an O.K. to good Qb is NOT going to fix our line, gentlemen. Drafting good offensive linemen should help our QB....like it helped QB Doug Williams....like it helped RB Timmy Smith. Until you understand this, you understand NOTHING about football.

Posted by: lszovati | February 26, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Campbell vs AZ, 22 of 30 for 193 and 2 TDs plus 26 yards rushing -- Skins win 24-17

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 26, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I am so F-ing sick of hearing about what Shanny did with another team! Just like Portis! Neither has done S**t with THIS team! Please shut up with Sham Wow and the Super Bowls of yesteryear!

Posted by: iubiquity | February 26, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Iszovati...

Obviously, you know nothing about football...

If you have the #4 pick and there's a QB that you think is your franchise QB..then you get him and build the line with later picks...

Posted by: rickyroge | February 26, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest....

Would you rather have Campbell or Rodgers?

Posted by: rickyroge

Funny stuff. I was in both RI Fantasy leagues and selected Rodgers in both. Won one league, got to the semi finals in the other. Actually drafted Peyton and Rodgers on one team, then traded Peyton, kept Rodgers.

Rodgers is an elite QB, Campbell isn't. Reality is that while I'd prefer Rodgers (and chose him twice in FF), that isn't the choice facing Shanahan.

Campbell is good enough to succeed in the NFL and did get W's over Warner and Brees in 2008 (with clutch play). But he also regressed in 2009, it wasn't just the OL.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 26, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Please shut up with Sham Wow and the Super Bowls of yesteryear!

Posted by: iubiquity | February 26, 2010 6:48 PM

Okay. He's gonna win the Super Bowl next year with the Redskins. That better?

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: iubiquity | February 26, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse
___________

Portis absolutely has done a whole lot with this team. Is he over the hill now? We'll see, and I'll trust Shanny's judgment on that more than any of us baffoons, but don't forget that he has been the face of the franchise for several years, and practically carried the offense for at least 3 of them.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 26, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE STOP THE SEAN TAYLOR TALK!!!!

At least be consistent...

Posted by: rickyroge | February 26, 2010 6:37 PM

So you want "US" to stop but you felt the need to comment about Sean Taylor.

I've never said anything disparaging about him and accepted his growing pains as immaturity and him being a product of his environment. He was physically more gifted than Lott and to compare their careers is unfair because ST’s life was cut short.

I have very few sacred cows but if there is something derogatory said about Sean Taylor, Riggins, Monk, Clark, Green, or the HOGs, I’m going to have a response.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

rodgers was a ff beast for me this year too. he is legit, great recievers tho jennings was shut down some games. grant not really that great of a back. rodgers is the real deal

Posted by: hcic55 | February 26, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse
___________

Amen to that.

Posted by: skinsfan713 | February 26, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, you know nothing about football...

Posted by: rickyroge

LOL You ever notice how people who know very little about football and not much of anything intelligent to offer always use that argument? Reading the above comment should make that quite evident!

Posted by: iubiquity | February 26, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 26, 2010 6:44 PM
==================================
In this game, the Skins Defense (2008 version) was responsible for the winning margin..

The following from the news wires...

As is often the case in close games, the difference proved to be turnovers. The Redskins had two takeaways, while the Cardinals failed to force a single turnover. Washington scored 10 points off of its takeaways.

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 26, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge
}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}]

Posted by: iubiquity | February 26, 2010 7:05 PM
=============================
thats funny, I saw the same quote attributed to Bill Polian a few weeks ago.
You dont pass on a potential franchise QB when you have the chance and the Need. And the Skins possibly have both.
The Skins certainly feel they have the Need for a new QB. Otherwise, Jason and Segal would of seen a Contract Extension by now..

Posted by: cliftonbiz | February 26, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Someone wake Diesel44 up and tell him it's time to move on.

Posted by: League-Source | February 26, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

RickyR and Stump-

The draft is an absolute crap shoot. GMs like Parcells minimize the risk of picking inside the Top 10 pick because of the crippling affect that a bust can have. There are 4 players IMO that are worthy and would be impact players: Suh, Berry, Okung, & McCoy. That’s it that’s the list (kornheiser). If there was a QB worthy I would definitely consider him but I'm not willing to roll the dice on either guy with the obvious red flags of both.

Roll with JC for one more year and see if LeFevour or Snead is available in the 4th take one, If not address QB next year and let JC either walk via the 1 year tender or trade him if they sign him to a 2 year deal.

I believe if they don't get any offers at JC’s tender they should sign him to 2 year deal @ about 2 years 5 mil with a 3 mil signing bonus. That way he wouldn’t be able to walk in 2011 if he has a respectable year like he did this year and they could cut him if he underperforms. He’s an average QB that is certainly not a part of the future but needs to be treated like an asset.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 26, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Alright folks, I've been out on the left coast buying a house and then drove home so what'd I miss? Anything worth repeating?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 26, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

You know, I'm sick of the double standard. Its all about winning people say, and no excuses should be made for a losing QB. Of course, Clausen was a loser at ND, had a losing record, but of course, blaming the defense is perfectly in THAT scenario for Clausen's losses is okay. Then someone points out a game where Campbelll had great stats, including 2 TD passes, and beat the Cardinals, but no, really it was the DEFENSE that won it, because they got turnovers and the Skins offense didn't turn it over...uh oh, here comes the hypocrisy again....just WHO was in charge of the Offense that turned it over 0 times? Listen, if an Elway or Manning was there at 4, I'd be the first to say grab him because its true Campbell is not an "elite" QB. But we can win with him and yes he has pulled games out and performed well in the clutch when his supporting cast has done likewise, and to take a Clausen or Bradford just because they are the best QB on the board without actually comparing their draft value with the top player at a position we are woefully weak at, would be really stupid.

Posted by: kenboy1 | February 27, 2010 2:10 AM | Report abuse

I CAN`T BELIEVE THAT SOME OF YOU BLOGGERS KEEP SCREAMING FOR THE TEAM TO TAKE BRADFORD OR CLAUSEN. A LOT OF PEOPLE WONDER IF CLAUSEN EVEN HAS MUCH OF AN UPSIDE, AND BRADFORD WAS SUCCESSFUL..BUT HE HAD THE BEST O LINE IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL, AND HE IS COMING OFF SHOULDER SURGERY.
NEITHER OF THERM ARE WORTHY OF A # 4 PICK..AS
THE O LINE IS A FEW YEARS AWAY FROM BEING "DECENT" AT BEST. INSTEAD, YOU TAKE 2-3 OF THE BEST O LINEMEN AVAILABLE. YOU FIND A REAL SPEED BACK. THE CHARGERS, FOR
EXAMPLE, WERE REPORTED TO CUT SPROLES LOOSE. OR YOU FIND SOMEONE DOWN IN THE LOWER PART OF THE DRAFT. REMEMBER THE SKINS WON SUPER BOWLS WITH RYPIEN, AND WILLIAMS.
AN AVERAGE QB CAN WIN WITH A TOP O LINE..NO QUESTION..BUT A TOP QB CAN`T BE SUCCESSFUL WITH A BAD O LINE.

O LINE O LINE O LINE!!!

Posted by: blazerguy234 | February 27, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

No! Rabach is awful! He's too small and gets pushed around too much. This team needs to completely overhaul the OL. I'd like to see them give Edwin Williams a shot at center. If they draft Clausen it will be a huge mistake. He's not worth a 1st round pick let alone the 4th selection. This team needs OL 1st and Rabach shouldn't be in those plans.

Posted by: Toochilled | February 27, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

If we can trade down and grab LT B.Campbell, that would be amazing

Posted by: SkinsFan37years | February 27, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I see Campell(LT) or Pouncy then tebow in a later round. I hope not But lets hope we get somebody worth the 4 pick. I am tired of taking a beating from the Eagle fans, cowboy fans and those damn raven fans.

Posted by: bert3 | February 27, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I hope a deal is not done with rabach because he is DONE as far as being a starting center he should have been replaced 2yrs ago. rabach is a part of the problem with the o-line and certainly not a solution he is too weak and slow maybe shanahan needs to stop looking at films of campbell 24-7 and start looking at the o-line, that is the biggest problem of this team draft down and get more picks let rabach go.

Posted by: wathu19 | February 27, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

ummm why don't we just draft a qb in the 1st, a rb in the 2nd, a te in the 4th, a cb in the 5th, and a wr in the 7th. That covers all our need right?? Straight up Cerrato draft. LOL YOu all know that's what he wanted to do round 1 and round 2 right?? Not too long after he told Snyder that, he was canned! Go snyder!

Posted by: avbanig | March 3, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse