Redskins Are Missing Presence of Rogers

Cornerback Carlos Rogers has been sidelined most of the preseason because of a lingering calf injury and is not expected to play in the final preseason game Thursday against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"It's not a problem," Rogers said. "Just being careful with it."

Rogers expressed confidence he would start Sept. 13 in the season opener against the New York Giants at Giants Stadium. "Yeah," he said. "It's getting better all the time. Like I said, we're just being careful."

Maybe Rogers is recovering, but his calf problem could become a big problem for the Redskins. The reality is they're not as good defensively with Rogers on the sideline. I'm going into my third season covering this team, so I'm well aware of his problems securing potential interceptions, but Rogers is good in press-man coverage, and he's arguably the team's best overall corner when physically sound. Rogers was outstanding in coverage for a big chunk of last season, and the Redskins need him on the field.

Nickel corner Fred Smoot has started in place of Rogers in the preseason, and second-year corner Justin Tryon moved up to Smoot's spot. That's not the lineup that coaches would prefer to rely on for a long period.

"It's fine," Rogers said. "I'm really not even feeling it."

We'll see.

Wise on Mason

Mike Wise writes about Marcus Mason, the Turk and the 53-man roster.

By Jason Reid  |  September 1, 2009; 6:17 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Updates on Haynesworth, Rogers
Next: Blache: Alexander's 'Stock Has Gone Up'

Comments

FIRST to say we really need Rogers this year.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 6:38 AM | Report abuse

Redskins Are Missing Presence of Rogers

no sh1t Sherlock

Posted by: jonthefisherman | September 1, 2009 6:54 AM | Report abuse

Its not going to be pretty for the fans from Old DC.

Posted by: periculum | September 1, 2009 12:51 AM

Save for a couple of 10-6 playoff seasons, when has it been in the last 17+ years?

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 6:07 AM

Optimist and pessimist. I see the glass as half full. Brownwood sees it as completely empty.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 1, 2009 6:58 AM | Report abuse

I am looking for Los to take it to the next level this year. He improve last year like I said he would and will do even better this year.

Posted by: jm220 | September 1, 2009 7:09 AM | Report abuse

Cut Danny Smith, not Mason. Our special teams have sucked since the beginning of Gibbs 2.0. Why is Danny weighing in on pass protection and personnel moves anyway? Just get your kicker to make @!&?ing field goals from over 40 yards once in a while!

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | September 1, 2009 7:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 1, 2009 6:58 AM

I don't get what was pessimistic about what I said. That sentence is completely factual. Unless, of course, you enjoy 8-8...

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 7:27 AM | Report abuse

I think we are in better shape at CB then the team realizes, and have been for years we have 3 guys who can take a no 1/2 rotation going, hell that may be our most consistently solid position that we have had since Snyder took over, I sure cant think of any other.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 1, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 7:27 AM

You're so pessimistic that you can't even recognize it when you do it. Optimism/pessimism doesn't hinge on whether your statement is factual. It's on which facts you use and how you project them into the future. Lemme show you how an optimist replies to "Its not going to be pretty for the fans from Old DC."

Oh, come on, droopy jaws. A lot of young talent seems to be coming on for us. We beat the defending champs, and our first team held New England to a tie. We would have won that game but for Colt's pick six.

There. Completely factual and an optimistic view of the 'Skins' prospects. Now, you try it.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 1, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 1, 2009 8:20 AM

What you just typed and called "optimistic", I call "delusional".

My blood pressure has suffered enough at the hands of this team. My motto for this team still stands: 8-8 until further notice.

By the way, anyone under the age of 80 who uses the term "droopy jaws" should be drawn and quartered. Completely awful.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

"Redskins Are Missing Presence of Rogers"

This headline begs the following question, "Should the team scan the cut-wire for some ready to play vet corner, especially since neither Barnes or Tyron seem up to snuff?"

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 1, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

What you just typed and called "optimistic", I call "delusional".

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 8:27 AM

Glass half full v. glass completely empty. Do I need to explain it to you further?

And droopy jaws is about the kindest thing anyone up here has said to periculum.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | September 1, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Question?

Teams with More talent in the NFC than the skins.

1. Minn (best team with a good QB)
2. eagles - (westbrook hurt a lot)

Others?

Maybe Vinny is doing a good job. I can't believe I said that.

Posted by: mul123 | September 1, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

"....8-8 until further notice..."

Let's review the plan:

5-5, the 1st 10 games.

4-2, the final 6 games

This equals a record of 9-7, but with improved offensive play, and a defense that gets a score or two, 10-6 is doable.

And 10-6 might mean playoffs.

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 1, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Teams with More talent in the NFC than the skins.

1. Minn (best team with a good QB)
2. eagles - (westbrook hurt a lot)

Others?

Maybe Vinny is doing a good job. I can't believe I said that.

Posted by: mul123 | September 1, 2009 8:37 AM

Unfortunately for us, games aren't played on paper. They're played on the field.

We're paper champs just about every year. So getting talent is never the issue. It's getting the right guys that fit here and getting the right men to lead them. And that's the key to a sucessful season.

The teams you listed above aren't going anywhere either. The Eagles have the better chance, but I wouldn't bet on it.

And Moe, I didn't say the team CAN'T go 10-6. I just refuse to get my hopes up for it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"I didn't say the team CAN'T go 10-6. I just refuse to get my hopes up for it."

Aha! A closet optimist.

Posted by: bangkokben | September 1, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Question?

Teams with More talent in the NFC than the skins.

1. Minn (best team with a good QB)
2. eagles - (westbrook hurt a lot)

Others?

Maybe Vinny is doing a good job. I can't believe I said that.

Posted by: mul123 | September 1, 2009 8:37 AM

1)Giants - even though they are suspect at WR, they are well coached, have a good running game, defense, and I like their punter.

2)Atlanta - Suspect defense, but their offense has an identity and a buddy star at QB.

3)Saints - No defense to speak of, but with the best QB in football and a healthy Colston for the entire year will it matter?

Posted by: TWISI | September 1, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Question?

Teams with More talent in the NFC than the skins.

1. Minn (best team with a good QB)
2. eagles - (westbrook hurt a lot)

Others?

Maybe Vinny is doing a good job. I can't believe I said that.

Posted by: mul123 | September 1, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Dont' sleep on the Cardinals. Last season may not have been a fluke.

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 1, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 8:48 AM

I agree 100 percent about paper winners. But in this case the GM's job is to get talent at a resonable price. I think we are OK in that department from a low point after the Ball Coach (5-11). Gibbs did ok but was a better leader than GM IMO.

Posted by: mul123 | September 1, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | September 1, 2009 8:53 AM

Don't sleep...our old friend Gregggggg Williams is now at the helm on D. Don't be surprised if the Saints are your NFC representative in Miami.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | September 1, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I think you need to go check the Saints depth chart. They did a good bit in the offseason. They completely overhauled their secondary and they have a few guys coming back from injury. They should be very good this year.

My picks are:

Indy
SD

WC
Bal
NYJ

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | September 1, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

BEEP Y'ALL! My first time doing the beeping around here...feels pretty anti-climatic.

Posted by: brownwood26 | September 1, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

The thing I really don't like about the Saints is their secondary. GG will put the CBs on an island, I don't think they'll cover well. My hunch is that the Saints defense will resemble the Jags of last year.

Posted by: TWISI | September 1, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

originalet: "Teams with More talent in the NFC than the skins.
1. Minn (best team with a good QB)
2. eagles - (westbrook hurt a lot)
Others?"

On paper? Dallas. They really underachieved last season. Can't imagine Wade Phillips surviving another year like that.

Posted by: Samson151 | September 1, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Cuts are always tough. I don't like the practice squad. I think every NFL team should have a minor league team in a nearby city to send the young prospects. Maybe Washington could have a AAA team in Norfolk and they could send players like Marcus Mason there to prove themselves against other AAA teams. The NFL could afford this if the salaries are kept low. Play the AAA games on Thursday nights because that is a relatively free night for sports. But for now, the players on the cut list should be told that they could have a future in the UFL if they keep themselves in shape and out of trouble.

Posted by: midniterc | September 1, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

TWIS- A buddy star? So who's Dean Martin to Matt Ryan's Jerry Lewis?

Posted by: bostskin | September 1, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Hall's deficiencies in covering the No. 1 receiver on a good team were exposed against NE on Friday night...Rogers is much better in man coverage, especially against bigger, more physical receivers like Moss, Roy Williams, etc. Yes, he's not the big play guy that Hall is in making INT's, but he's more fundamentally sound and a better tackler. I think the Skins made a shortsighted move by not keeping Springs around another year as a nickel corner.

He could have helped cover other teams bigger, physical receivers and to provide depth/flexibility at the saftey position. Having him at FS in certain packages would have allowed Landry to be more involved in blitz packages and to occasionally play closer to the line. I'm also very concerned about our CB depth beyond Smoot who is no longer the player he was, but is light years ahead of Tryon and Barnes. Tryon should be cut when we get down to the 53-man roster and Barnes given a chance to nail down the position as our 4th corner.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that Rogers calf injury doesn't turn into one like Springs had last year where he misses most of the season or is always playing at less than 100% since we need him in the lineup every week.

Posted by: wizfan89 | September 1, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Are you allowed to say "droopy drawers"?

Posted by: ElYeah | September 1, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse