Redskins audible: Smith will now relay Lewis's plays

The team's new play-calling procedure already has been revised.

Coach Jim Zorn, stripped of play-calling duties after the Redskins' most recent loss, initially said Sherman Lewis would work in the coaches' box and communicate the plays to Zorn on the sideline through their headsets, and that Zorn then would relay the calls to quarterback Jason Campbell.

After practice, however, Zorn announced a new plan that includes offensive coordinator Sherman Smith. With Lewis up in the box, Smith will move to the field and relay the plays to Campbell while he's receiving them from Lewis. Although Zorn has been completely eliminated from the process, he also will hear the plays on his headset.

"I'll be walking around," Zorn said. "I'll be listening to what's going on. I'm not going to be calling what's going on."

Not surprisingly, players have expressed skepticism about the process, especially considering Lewis, who came out of retirement about two weeks ago, is unfamiliar with the Redskins' personnel, running game, pass-protection schemes and blitz pick-up packages.

Other than that, Lewis is well-versed in the Redskins' offense.

"That's one thing we're going to work on - trying to get the plays in and out of the huddle faster," Campbell said. "There will probably be a couple plays I'll have in my head - just in case for some reason if it doesn't get in on time - [so] we can keep the tempo up and keep moving. There will be some things we'll have to adjust to a little bit, and getting plays in faster will have to be one of them because now it comes through one more person."

By Jason Reid  |  October 21, 2009; 7:13 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Samuels in California to see specialist
Next: Jones appreciates 'golden opportunity'

Comments

I wonder when they will load in the three rings into Fedex Field for the game Monday night?

Posted by: pjente | October 21, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Maybe first to say this is a mess!

Posted by: WRBD | October 21, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

This phukin' team has been dooshbaggified by the a$$h0les at the top. I'm glad some people in the media are finally starting to come forward and say what we all know to be true about this turgid pile of fecal matter we call a FO. I hope they start to listen up. Thanks Largent for speaking up...let's get some more.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 21, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I am an optimist, but even I now think this play calling scenario is pretty ridiculous. I think it would be ridiculous even at the high school level.

Part of me (a small part of me) would like this to miserably fail on Monday Night Football under the bright lights and thoroughly embarass the Skins brass.

If the next 10 weeks are like this one, Dan Snyder will DEFINITELY be closer than ever to considering an extreme philosophy change. Every day of this circus reduces the value of this storied franchise!

Posted by: gilk | October 21, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

This is complete idiocy. How are we going to "increase tempo" as Campbell says, if Smith is now relaying plays? Why is Smith involved? Does Lewis not speak English, and requires a translator? What's the point? It will be like a game of Telephone, around the campfire. All that can happen is that something goes wrong. Oh Danny Boy, what hast thou wrought...

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | October 21, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

The SEC was totally right to slam those refs from the Arkansas-Florida game: the calls at the end of the game favoring the status-quo #1 Florida were absurd..F*** THE STATUS QUO!!! Corporate commie/fascism, false casino Fed money for funding brownshirt/ CIA political sculpting Mustapha Hamshow Clambake ops, YAAAAA!!...But Zornie is being told to resign (unlike others)..

Posted by: frak | October 21, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Eagles suck. They lost to the Raiders. We're doing this to make the game interesting.

Posted by: mack1 | October 21, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

This is going to be such a cluster....Campbell and the other players should revolt and just call their own plays...Snyder can't really fire them because he doesn't have any other choice.

Posted by: orioledw | October 21, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I really feel sorry for Jim Zorn. Yes he's over matched as a HC and OC, but he does not deserve to look like he's utterly useless on the sideline, and that's what he's going to look like. Even HC with OC's have some say as to what calls get made, this is ridiculous. Why doesn't Danny just call the plays himself? That's clearly what he wants to do.

Even though he's getting paid for it, there's just nothing IMO that makes up for being made to look like a fool and Snyder's making Zorn look like a fool, all because he wants Snyder to resign so he doesn't have to pay him.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | October 21, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Words cannot express how incredibly @#$!ed up things have gotten. What an embarrassment...

Posted by: chris_rollins2k3 | October 21, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I have seen many head shots of Snyder and Vinny around the stadium. People holding them high with with red circle and line through them. I have seen some tapped to posters with "fire them", cut them, trade them. I would really like to see them where they belong, on peoples back sides. If someone has some sense they would make snyder seat cushions so we could all have danny boy kiss our asses.

Posted by: grastyp | October 21, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

FUBAR!

Posted by: ccwbambam | October 21, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

3-6 seconds to call a play to Sherm Smith, 3-6 seconds to call the play into Campbell, and 3-6 seconds for Soups to call it in the huddle..... hmmm.... that is if The originator knows the plays and terminology.... What is the over under on 4 delay of game penalties? This is an atrocity!!!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 21, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

My God JASON, get out of D.C. ASAP. With this latest manouver, it should be obvious to all, that SNYDER is trying to use ZORN's pride to force him to quit. Probably a clause re: quitting vs. firing and $$$$. Hang in there JIM. Make the slug stroke a check every month until he's had enough. Looks like a three-fer - ZORN, CAMPBELL, and CERRATO.

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 21, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

What a cluster-f----!!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 21, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

What, does Snyder think that Zorn would ignore Sherm and just call his own plays again?

LOL

Posted by: arenasmvp | October 21, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

grastyp,

I think there would be a market for Danny chamberpots and Vinny toilet paper. I assume the dartboard market for those two is already clogged.

As for the musical chairs of play calling, it is not only scattershot, ill-conceived and embarrassing, but at this point they might as well give the playbook to Reid and let him call the plays for Campbell. Lord knows the results could not be any worse than what we have seen so far this season.

Posted by: NosferatusCoffin | October 21, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Largent is spot on!!!!!

Good for him. Only problem this is creating is, it is hurting our chances in the eyes of some of the potential coaches. Suppose it won't matter if Snyder doesn't change his ways......

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 21, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Can't the guy up in the box talk directly to the QB?

Someone 'splain this to me

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 7:59 PM | Report abuse

ZCE,

Come on man. How long have you watched this team..... even if that were possible, do you really think we would do anything that made sense?

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 21, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

F'd Up Beyond All Reconition
FUBAR!

The Skins are a Classic example of how Not to run anything. They are a JOKE!! I keep waiting for the special episode of You Been Punked, presented by Danial Snyder, it hasn't happened yet. I don't care if Snyder is passonite about the redskins, so are the rest of us, this team has become a embarrasment. I hope the lose the rest of their games!

Nothing but a bunch of Moron's.

F'd Up Beyond All Reconition
FUBAR!

Like Brian Mitchell, Snyder and his Cronies might own the Redskins, but Skins belong to the fans!

Posted by: ccwbambam | October 21, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

ZCE,

CLEGG

Didn't Saunders call plays from the upstairs box?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Monday will be a laugh riot. All I can do is laugh at this point. It's hilarious.

Posted by: brian58 | October 21, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Vinny better hope this new play caller idea of his works, because if it doesn't there will be one less reason to blame for this disaster one more reason to look at the GM.

Posted by: cannontl | October 21, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Here's an idea I proposed to my fellow skins fan at the office today:

Let's start a publicly traded company on the NYSE which sells stock for the purpose of raising money to buy the franchise from Snyder. We don't like the moves? Well let's stop complaining, stop chanting "sell the team" at the game and do something about it! I bet if we got enough money together to pay ole Danny boy back what he paid for the team, he'd jump at it.

Then, we don't like a draft pick? Don't like the direction of the franchise? Well we'll just fire the CEO at the next board meeting and start again. $100 dollars a share as an IPO.

SportsCenter would be all over that story like white on rice. We'd have the cash in hand by next year's draft.

Now, since I don't have any idea about anything related to the NYSE, can someone please take this idea and run with it?

I'll happily buy a share. And then, well...I don't know about you guys, but I'm votin' for yours-truly as first CEO!

Posted by: brianearman | October 21, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Here's an idea, why don't we Redskins fans
start writing Rodger Goodell, and swamp the NFL headquarters in New York with letters to ask Mr.Goodell to talk to little Dan Snyder about hiring a competent GM so that this franchise can be restored to respectability and oneday be a winner again. It can't hurt. What do you all think?

Posted by: 72Redskins | October 21, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

You guys have this all wrong! This play calling scheme is so crazy it might just end up causing a tear in the space time continuum which will then allow us to go back to when Dan Snyder was being conceived so that we can throw a c*** block on his dad!

Posted by: LarryBud | October 21, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Saunders call plays from the upstairs box?

Yes, he told Gibbs and Gibbs told Campbell....so it has happen before and worked....

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 21, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Beyond the play calling, suppose the vaunted Eagle pass rush completely shreds the Skins O-line and they gain less than 150 yards for the game.

Is that possible?

Posted by: cannontl | October 21, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Ok let me get this straight...Clinton is hurting and has not been very effective. The skins released not one but two running backs this week. If clinton goes down, we'll have Betts, Cartwright and the new RB who don't know what the hell is going on. Typical skins

Posted by: pennstate1 | October 21, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Sherman Lewis will relay the calls to Sherman smith who will radio the to sherman hemsley who will signal them to Sherman and mr Peabody. They will get in the wayback machine to see if the play worked five years ago. Jason cAmpbell will get the play and fumble.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 21, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Saunders call plays from the upstairs box?

Posted by: jcnjcnj

Really?? Its 2009, you'd think you could make a call from the box to the field

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Not unlike the Raiders, another 3 time Super Bowl winning, history-laden franchise, we are now a complete joke. Not a partial joke, not mediocre, not toying with respectability. A total, unmitigated disaster. The exact blueprint for what I'd wish on the Cowboys has happened to us.

I do not accept the proposition that we cannot win under Snyder - if that's true then we have a long 40 or so years ahead of us - but it is undeniable that we cannot win with this current method of operation. We have to organize and be heard. For starters, I am totally onboard with a FINANCIAL BOYCOTT for the remainder of the season.

PLEASE, IF YOU CARE ABOUT THIS TEAM AS I KNOW YOU DO, DO NOT GO TO THE GAMES, DO NOT BUY MERCHANDISE, DO NOT ENABLE DANNY BOY ANYMORE! I'll never be able to stop watching, but I will stop padding his bottom line until I see changes.

Next up - a petition. The mouthpiece - Robert John Riggins.

WHO'S WITH ME???

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 21, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone remember all the haters attacking JLC? Has not every single thing he's posted or said turned out to be true? EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he wasn't a Redskins hater, he just called it as he saw it every single day. Maybe he just told the truth and you know what? The truth hurts ladies...the truth hurts...

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 21, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Why can't Sherm just tell the play straight to JC?

Posted by: edvar | October 21, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

what the heck let Jason Campbell call his own plays!

Posted by: pquick6165 | October 21, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I think it's fairly obvious that Sherm Smith will be relaying from Lewis to JC because Lewis doesn't know all the verbiage, etc... I literaly think Smith will be translating it into Zorn's version of the West Coast Offense and provide the proper verbiage... Remember he's been here for 2 weeks... He doesn't know all the plays, pass pro, rub blocking schemes, etc...

This is such as show. It really is pathetic. Snyder is a complete A$$CLOWN

Posted by: EinVB | October 21, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Sooooblime.

Posted by: MartinZook | October 21, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Daniel Snyder does get it. He gets paid everytime we, the fans buy the hype. Daniel Synder's Redskins is the second highest revenue generaing franchise in the NFL. He was first until recently.

We, the fans, don't get it. He advertise, we buy but don't get the product (The superbowl). He advertises again. we buy again and agian and again (without receiving the product). As long as Daniel Snyder can sell just hype and we, the fans continue to buy it - We would never get the product, The Superbowl. Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

The Superbowl requires hat Daniel Snyder give up the power to a GM and give up the hype.

But that will never happen without the majority of fans demanding and willing to wait for it.

My assessment is that fans are not willing to wait the two - to- three years it takes to build a real team. So ---
BVecause we are not willing to wait for the meat to cok fully; we will keep getting just the gravy.

Posted by: rebuildredskins | October 21, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Lewis will point to a number or a diagram of a play and then it will be relayed by Smith to Campbell.

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 21, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Here's an idea, why don't we Redskins fans

Posted by: 72Redskins | October 21, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure the Commisioner is the right person to whom we need to file our grievances, but I love where your heads at, you to brianarman. My plan is two-phased- a massive financial boycott of Snyder, coupled with a petition, signed by as many fans as possible, hoefully including our celeb Skins fans, and delivered by a prominent individual with ties to the organization. I proposed Riggo above, but he may be dead to Snyder after his recent You Tube rants. Point is someone with gravitas (maybe Sonny?).

I'm happy to draft a petition and see if I can't get it in. As for the boycott- everyone needs to chip in by spreading the word- Facebook, email, You Tube, word of mouth, whatever. The momentum is there - look how empty FedEx was last week - we need to seize the initiative.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | October 21, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

If the gravy is really doody, then yes my friend, you are right.

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 21, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

I think that Sherm Lewis has to go through Sherm Smith so that Smith can edit/revise the calls. I believe this is true b/c it is reported that Sherm Lewis is not up to speed on the verbiage. Analogy: a high school spanish student translate a high level diplomatic negotiation.

AS for Zorn, what's next? Will he be prohibited from wearing Redskins gear and be required to wear an orange jumpsuit?

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | October 21, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I'll sign it.

Posted by: rich20ssu | October 21, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

When does the castration of Coach Zorn end? Seriously, this is embarrassing. Whose bright idea was this?

Why doesn't DC just hire Bobby Bowden to be the coach after he's kicked out of FL State after the season?

Posted by: WorstSeat | October 21, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

At some point can't the Commish step in and pull Danny on the carpet and end this charade? Make Synder fire Zorn already and the pay what the man is due. Because not only is he making the Redskins look like retards, but it gets to a point where it makes the NFL look ridiculous as well for tolerating such behavior from one of its franchises.

Posted by: clark202 | October 21, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

So it appears that the goal isn't just to replace the Raiders as the league laughing stock, but to raise it to a level which may never, ever be surpassed.

At least we'll have a high draft pick... oops! DOH!

Posted by: Redskinrex | October 21, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling we might just win this game. We play the Eagles good. The benching of Campbell was good. He knows now that he will be benched if he doesn't deliver.

Posted by: TheJury | October 21, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

FROM ESPN........

"They went to the point of pulling out his contract and saying, 'You have got to do whatever the owner tells you to do,' " Largent said of Redskins management.

Snyder has taken this proud Franchise and crushed it!!!!!!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 21, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

This is so fked up.

Posted by: jmy999 | October 21, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

A guy walks into a bar wearing a Redskin's jersey and carrying a cat that also has a Redskin's jersey on with a little Redskin's helmet on his head, too.

The guy says to the bartender, "Can me and my cat watch the Redskin's game here? My TV is broke and my cat and I always watch the game together."

The bartender replies, "Normally, cats wouldn't be allowed in the bar, but it's not very busy in here right now, so you and the cat can have a seat at the end of the bar. But, if there's any trouble with you or the cat, I'll have to ask you to leave."

The guy agrees, and he and his cat start watching the game.

Pretty soon the Redskins kick a field goal and the excited cat jumps up on the bar and walks down the bar and gives everyone a high five.

The bartender says, "Hey, that's pretty cool! What does he do for a touchdown?"

The guy's answers, "I don't know, I've only had him for 3 years."

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

There was a similar setup with Saunders and Gibbs. It resulted in some delay of game penalties back then. I think the reason for the added step is because Lewis doesn't know the protection schemes. Someone has to add those on. I had heard initially that Zorn was going to do that, but I guess now it's going to be Smith.

Posted by: FITS | October 21, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheJury | October 21, 2009 8:55 PM
=============================================

Barno, is that you?

Posted by: ellinwoods | October 21, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Phuquing laughing stock of the league. GR8!

Posted by: FedorEm | October 21, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Barno, is that you?

Posted by: ellinwoods | October 21, 2009 9:09 PM

HA HA HA. No man. They have played so bad. Can it get worse??? The skins always play at the level of their opponents so I have a feeling they just might pull this one out.

Posted by: TheJury | October 21, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

DAMN!! One of those jackasses must read this blog! I mentioned I how I thought that Lewis would just defer to Zorn and let him call the plays to avoid screw-ups ... because Lewis should know better ...

And damned if Snyder didn't change the rules to exclude Zorn from any play calling. You know what who is there to exclude Snyder and his hengeman from making personnel decisions! Bring back Gibbs! Make him president, let him select GM and coaches and PLAYERS with his guys and this team will surely win.

Posted by: periculum | October 21, 2009 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I was just looking at the Skins' schedule in today's Post while eating dinner. I don't think we're going to win a game this November. We face:

Eagles
Broncos
Cowgirls
Eagles

In other words, teams with a combined record of 16-5. The only almost "certain" shot we have of winning another game is against the Raiders, but the game is at Oakland. Excluding November and the Raiders, the rest of the teams we face are:

Saints (Drew Brees have mercy, good God, have mercy)
Giants
Cowgirls
Chargers

We're already headed for 2-14. A hopeful, and I mean REAL hopeful 3-13.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | October 21, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

FROM ESPN........

Snyder has taken this proud Franchise and crushed it!!!!!!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | October 21, 2009 9:02 PM

Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, the best thing that could happen this Monday is for the Skins (with their new play caller and pourous offensive line) to be totally embarrased by the Eagles.

Posted by: cannontl | October 21, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

No way the Skins can win this? Philly smells blood on the water. Their fans would crucify them if they lost this game.

Posted by: periculum | October 21, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Forgive me if this has been posted already, but this is a good read:

Learning What Not to Do From the Leadership of the Washington Redskins

Posted by: ronz | October 21, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Forgive me if this has been posted already, but this is a good article on leadership, using the Skins situation as an example:

Learning What Not to Do From the Leadership of the Washington Redskins

Posted by: ronz | October 21, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

And I just noticed that michael_b_clegg is back.

ALL HAIL CLEGG.

CLEGG

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | October 21, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Let sonny call the plays from the broadcast booth. He'd be awesome and it would be cool to gear that. Give that it's Danny station, he may just allow it. Would be great to hear Sam get surprised by the play even though he just heard sonny call it fiveseconds ago.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | October 21, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Snyder could be forced into selling the team if enough fans stopped supporting the team as has been suggested above and made his team unprofitable for him.

But alas there is not enough people mad enough yet to make that happen.

Posted by: cannontl | October 21, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Man I swear this feels just like when a family member, or a person you consider a close friend betrays you. We the endearing fans continue to expect a better outcome. When we know that family member will and is pulling the same stunts...over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again!!!!!!!!!! I guess that makes us all pretty much dumb.

I would like to express myself more, but I really cannot wrap my head around this disgusting, disrespectful, immoral boo-boo.

Keep your heads up, and I will attempt to do the same.

R.I.P Sean Taylor
Duce One

Posted by: onemikeclark | October 21, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

A similar clause giving Snidely GM uber powers surely was there under Gibbs. He knew better than to do as blatantly with Gibbs. He had been excoriated just before for that. He still managed to even undermine Joe Gibbs. Now, with impunity he just returned to his old ways.

There is no bus wide enough to throw Snyder under. His best fate is a long log with lots of tar and feathers.

Posted by: periculum | October 21, 2009 9:27 PM | Report abuse

We should not let Snyder get away with trying to embarass Jim Zorn into quitting so he won't be liable for the contract if that is what is really going on here.

Posted by: cannontl | October 21, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

OK, so Sherman Lewis is doing this for the money. But I think even for the money it shows a distinct lack of character to participate in this low behavior orchestrated by Snyder and Cerrato. I hope all three are embarrassed by the Eagles Monday night.

Posted by: rfjh1 | October 21, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I suspect that Lewis is here because he is a friend of Blache's. Perhaps he accepted thinking he could help rescue this team if he can ... not necessarily Zorn but from Snyerato. He may be finding that more difficult than he thought.

Posted by: periculum | October 21, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rfjh1 | October 21, 2009 9:28 PM

Do you work for money or is all your work volunteer work?

But, I don't buy the "lack of character" crap. They guy is trying to help the Redskins get better. Maybe he can do it, probably not. If he does, he could actually save Zorn's job.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn will be embarassed nationwide this Monday because all of this will be reported again by the announcers.

But if the Skins get totally embarrased by the Eagles, if their offense totally does not work, and the Eagles win big, and people start chanting bad things at Snyder and Cerrato, and this gets seen nationwide, there is real potential for Danny and Vinny to get exactly what they seem to deserve.

Posted by: cannontl | October 21, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cannontl | October 21, 2009 9:28 PM

This is up to Zorn, not us. And, he's not going to get bullied out of the money he's owed.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cannontl | October 21, 2009 9:42 PM

Zorn will be shown as being in over his head. And he is. But the ones who will be embarrassed are Snyder and Cerrato, the ones who hired Zorn, because they will be portrayed and incompetent, greedy, and stupid. Which they are.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

REDSKINS DEPLOY TIN CAN AND STRING OFFENSIVE COMMUNICATION SYSTEM

Dateline: Washington, D.C.

When Daniel Snyder bought the Redskins, he was committed to using high technology for his communications systems - afterall, his money was made in such.

Now the Redskins will employ virgin metal cans and string for their offensive communications system - the string will measure nearly a quarter mile and the cans will be shiney and new. The process will ensure no one intercepts the communications by the opposing team.

Said Snyder, "We are proud of these gleaming cans and bright white string. This is the finest stuff made and I'll be sitting next to Sherman to ensure he calls the plays I want."

IN OTHER REDSKIN NEWS

Bingo has been a hot topic around Redskin Park and there will now be official Redskin Bingo cards, dabbers, and ink supplies so that you can bring your favorite team to the smokey Bingo Hall near you!

Jason Campbell will be speeding up the offense during the Philly game. This will also mean the interceptions for touchdowns will reach a frenetic pace. The Redskins might not ever see the Philly offense on the field as a result.

Posted by: laserwizard | October 21, 2009 9:48 PM | Report abuse

i know a guy named sherman tyler,can he get a job with the skins?

Posted by: DLESMonday | October 21, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

So who calls the formations? How about the personnel? Good grief. Hang in there Zorn...you deserve better. Ummm...Hail?

Posted by: Smiley2 | October 21, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Can this get any more ludicrous???

Our head coach has been completely frozen out of in-game play-calling decisions???

I've never said this before ever in my life, but I will say it now:

I am officially ashamed to be a Redskins fan.

Posted by: p1funk | October 21, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I stand by what I posted above.

Posted by: cannontl | October 21, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

If I were Skynet, I would send a Terminator back in time to go after Mrs. Snyder and Mrs. Cerrato...

Posted by: p1funk | October 21, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Smiley2 | October 21, 2009 9:53 PM

Thar'd be Sherm Lewis. When he calls the play it'll have the personnel grouping, formation etc.

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Speeding up the play by adding a middle man... touche Danny

Posted by: palinidle2 | October 21, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

If I could catapult the Enterprise around the gravitational pull of the sun and go back in time, I would convince Jack Kent Cooke to will the team to his son outright...at gunpoint...

Posted by: p1funk | October 21, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | October 21, 2009 10:02 PM

So, you'd threaten to kill a man who is already dead? And, anyway, the old goat changed his will so many times that, sure, he'd be happy to oblige you this week.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh, good grief... this is preposterous.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 21, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I am officially ashamed to be a Redskins fan.

Posted by: p1funk | October 21, 2009 9:53 PM

I'd be ashamed to be a fan of Snyder or Cerrato, but I'm still proud to be a Redskins fan.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh, good grief... this is preposterous.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 21, 2009 10:05 PM |

And it's going to be on national TV where the whole country can see the folly that Dan Snyder and Vinnie Cerrato have created. I love it! How many delay of game penalties?

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I guess this is what Taiwanese dissidents who are trying to subvert the Communist Chinese govt from a distance must feel like...

Posted by: p1funk | October 21, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh, good grief... this is preposterous.

Wait... this occurs to you just now?

Posted by: daggar | October 21, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

League-Source sounds a lot like talent evaluator except more direct, smarter...but less witty...

handle switching and doppleganging confuses me...

F Vinny

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty much hoping that JC starts with the two-minute, no-huddle offense. After all, Zorn is the only one who ever threatened to pull the QB if he didn't run the play that was called. Since Zorn is powerless, that threat is also powerless.

Posted by: daggar | October 21, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

F chRIS LArry

Posted by: daggar | October 21, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 10:10 PM

talent_evaluator was embarrassing the franchise. He had us about last on RI, and you don’t have to be a dcsween, chriS Larry, or nateinthePDX to realize that. Even periculum could see it.

So, from now on, I’m calling the plays for talent_evaluator. We’ll continue to put him on the sidelines where his rugged, manly good looks are a credit to the franchise and he can serve Gator Aid, but I’m calling the shots from up here in the booth.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

F chRIS LArry

Just trying to keep the comment count up. After all, this place has been dead since September.

Posted by: daggar | October 21, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

BEST IDEA TONIGHT:

Letter writing campaign to ROGER GOODELL's office. I mean tens of thousands of them. Mine is in draft form right now. Anybody know GOODELL's/NFL's address

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 21, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Does it really matter who calls the plays? They still have the same sh!ddy scheme.

Posted by: dcwun | October 21, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

f chris LARRY

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

BEST IDEA TONIGHT:

Posted by: glawrence007 | October 21, 2009 10:18 PM

And this is a good idea because...why?

Goodell works for Snyder. Snyder doesn't work for Goodell. This is about as clever as a letter-writing campaign to Jim Zorn. But, press on, and let me know how it works out for you.

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

late night beeps

Posted by: League-Source | October 21, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I am kinda excited for Monday. The hilarity factor should be sky high. Its a cant lose right b/c

The further the Snyder is embaressed the closer he might be to fundamental change

or

We shock the world and heading into bye week we can feel good about ourselves

or

its a completely sucky game that we lose in a dumb way and Snyder cans Zorn and we can just turn the page on Corny Zorny.

Posted by: chrislarry | October 21, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WorstSeat

Castration in slooooowwwww motion. There's a nightmare.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Beep Beep

Posted by: edvar | October 21, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

UN BEE LEEVABLE

Posted by: LouLewis | October 21, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

For a while I've been wanting to see Zorn fired, but the more I read about what is really going on, I want Zorn to succeed so that he shoves it in Cerrato's face and tells Little Danny to stuff it!

The problem with the Redskins isn't as much Zorn-centric as it is with a system that would make any Hall of Fame coach look like an Amateur.

For the Redskins to succeed Snyder has to look at himself in the mirror, admit he's one of the reasons his team fails, and must man-up to the solution that includes kicking Cerrato to the curb, getting a real GM with a track record, and then has to stop meddling and let the PROFESSIONALS take over.

Until that ever happens, I don't see the Redskins being more than a joke. As a Redskin fan from 1970 on, I'm embarrassed and angry. I won't give up on the Redskins but Snyder and Cerrato can kiss my......

Posted by: laserwizard | October 21, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh great, jason campbell has to think about more stuff now. Try to think about not fumbling the football as hordes of 2-300 pound men come crashing down on you as derick dockery commits 2-3 false start penalties, chad wineheart, mike williams, casey jokebach and levi jones all get dominated by philly's dline. Monday night is not going to be pretty ladies and gentleman. Can't wait to watch how mad Dan Snyder looks in his crappy 50k booth. Go Broncos.

Posted by: hezbollaskins | October 21, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

What a joke this franchise has become. You Redskins fans are pathetic lemmings if you do not demand this team have new ownership!

Posted by: jambajuice | October 21, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

First and 10. Delay of Game. 1st and 15. Delay of Game. 1st and 20. Time out. Run a play. Delay of game. 2nd and 25. Head set breaks and Jason Campbell just start running plays. At some point, the coaches will just let the players play and take credit or blame for the outcome.

Posted by: Carole5520 | October 21, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

"Sherman Lewis will relay the calls to Sherman smith... to sherman hemsley... to Sherman and mr Peabody."

..to William Tecumseh Sherman who will march them thru Georgia.

Posted by: michaelmagnus9 | October 21, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I hope I am wrong, but I understand that our head coach no longer has the opportunity to change the play to be called, to adjust it, to veto it, or to make the final decision.. Are we going to take the red flag away from Zorn, too? What's left? To hang out with the cheerleaders? No one has been a bigger Skins fan than me. I grew up pulling for Sonny when he was tossing balls instead of words. I remember Otto Graham and Vince Lombardi. I moved to NC 35 years ago, but watch every Sunday at the sports bar, and I read RI 10 times a day, year round! I hate the Cowboys. Heck, I even hate the Panthers! But, if we have a head coach on the field that is not in charge, then for the first time in my life, I hope the Redskins LOSE!! Never thought I'd say that, but I can't help it. At least I still can't pull for the Cowboys, but that's all I have left. Heck with Snyder! Bring on the NBA.

Posted by: mmck | October 21, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Snyder will continue to take your money. A boycott is necessary, blackouts are necessary, stop feeding this man's ego. Make him sell this team, but not to another Jew.

Posted by: jambajuice | October 21, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Redskins=hilarious.

I suggest you ignore them from now on. You'll find you have more time with family, and can pursue hobbies/activities that are actually enjoyable.

It feels great to go to work on Monday and not care what this non-team did on Sunday.
Try it-you'll like it!

Posted by: Towson_Tiger | October 21, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

This is so bad. What does it gain a man if he gains...the remaining 8 mil on his contract...

Posted by: Donald8 | October 22, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

i may be wrong, but i think the relay is precisely bcuz sherm l isn't familiar with the intricacies of zorn's offense. therefore, sherm s will have to say it in terms jc will quickly understand. i do think his calls can be successfule, if only because they won't be so predictable. BUT, we gotta watch that clock! finally: his playcalling really MIGHT spark the team. after all, like it or not, obama DID win...

Posted by: dcjazzman | October 22, 2009 2:13 AM | Report abuse

please stop talking abt character and that lewis should 'just say no.' not ONE of you would do that: all we would hear from you capitalists would be 'i hate it for you, jz, but let the cream rise to the top!'

Posted by: dcjazzman | October 22, 2009 2:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jenksredskins | October 22, 2009 3:01 AM | Report abuse

Even though it defies logic, I along with many others were complaining about the dumb plays Zorn was calling so let Sherm give it a go this week. He may be able to save Jim "too many hats" Zorn's job. Zorn needs to go with it and manage the clock/team units. Go Skins! Ha!

Posted by: jenksredskins | October 22, 2009 3:02 AM | Report abuse

So what happens if the Headsets stop working, and they can't get the play to Campbell?

HHHHMMMM!!!!! The last time that happened, he threw deep to Moss for 6.

Posted by: WARPATH85 | October 22, 2009 4:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm starting to think this may be a good idea. First time I've heard a "coach" address the fact that they need to get the plays in quicker.

I'd call that a start. We might actually have a couple timeouts left at the end of the game.

And isn't it cool that Zorn gets to actually listen in to the conversations over the head sets! It's like listening to a NASCAR race!

He must be so excited... Like a big boy!

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 22, 2009 5:20 AM | Report abuse

dcjazzman, I feel you, my brother. We gotta salaam malaikem. Based on those deep blood similarities that manifest themselves in our kinship united in the genetic implementation of melanin that makes you like me, and me like you.

Now, pass that thing this-a-way, my brotha!

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 22, 2009 5:24 AM | Report abuse

I think each lineman needs someone up in the booth, as well... To tell them where to block.

Can't they get headsets?

"Heyer, quick, to your right! Block that safety!"

"Heyer, that was good that time. You knew you had to block the guy in front of you. Next time, try to fall down at least so maybe he'll trip over you before he strips the QB and recovers the fumble"

"Casey, go ahead and hold on this play, OK? We really need to get a full 3 seconds to throw the ball... tell the others, too - hold on three"

"Mike, HIT THAT GUY! HIT 'IM, HIT 'IM!!! God Dammit! WTF, Mike!?!? You SAW him back there!! HIT HIM!! Don't just stare at his @#$%*! A55! Block somebody! Come on!"

"That's OK, now when your rear hits the ground, try to grab his foot, the ref's locked in on Rabach's hold, you're good. Don't let go, now. That's right!"

Posted by: Thinker_ | October 22, 2009 5:31 AM | Report abuse

We are getting rid of the wrong guy....Cerrato must go not Zorn.
Open your eyes Mr. Snyder and make a business decision...Fire Cerrato!

Posted by: skinsfan0524 | October 22, 2009 5:54 AM | Report abuse

Get ready for embarrassment. I see at least 3 delay-of-game penalties coming. Campbell will be spending a lot of time on his back.

Posted by: allknowingguy | October 22, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Zorn is now a highly paid spectator.

Posted by: hackeynut | October 22, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Didn't Spurrier temporarily give play-calling to one of his assistants when he was here?

Posted by: rspeorl | October 22, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

This is all so sad and infuriating and funny at the same time.

What a joke this franchise has become.

Okay, I changed my mind. It's just sad.

Posted by: hallmt18 | October 22, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

So, I assume going "no huddle" is out then?

Posted by: shmessy | October 22, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Lewis to Smith to Campbell. Moe to Larry to Curley.

Forget the GM or any other competent coach. It ain't happenin'. It's Dannyboy's toy and he ain't givin' it up!!! How many times has he said he won't change? Why was he forced to hire Zorn? It's the Laurel and Hardy show until Dannyboy sells out.

Posted by: bundy44 | October 22, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, Steve Largent. He is a relatively powerful guy in this town and with the league...not because he is a HOF and a former congressman, but because he runs one of the most powerful lobbying orgs in town. The companies he represents are big advertisers with the NFL and the Redskins.

So if his guy Zorn is getting a raw deal (and by all indications he is, if they really sat him down with a contract and pointed out the Termination/Voluntary Separation clauses) Largent could make it pretty uncomfortable for the league and will force Goodell to take notice. This could be the driver we need to make Vinny the Senior VP of Racquetball and Sycophant Operations and bring in a real GM. One can dream, right?

Posted by: hotturkey_us | October 22, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I heard the team is considering a name change. They will now be know as the Washington Generals.

Posted by: jimv3706 | October 22, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Shame on Dan Snyder's mother for disgracing the world by giving birth to this stupid, petty little man.

Posted by: brad40 | October 22, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

So Jason is not even going to hear Zorn's voice while he is on the field. Wow. At this rate, he will be standing with the cheerleaders in a couple of a weeks.

Posted by: VaBroker | October 22, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I am done going to Skins game, not because of coaches or players, but because of the stupid owner and GM.

Posted by: davidnle | October 22, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I haven't seen this anywhere, and I guess because we are talking about the Redskins, that is why... Why not have Sherman Smith call the plays if we need a change? He is the offensive coordinator isn't he? This would be a good opportunity for him to show his stuff if he is supposed to be good...

Posted by: 1of9000 | October 22, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

On Monday, every fan should stand as one and give an ovation to J.Zorn. Then,en masse, everyone should turn to the owner's box and chant SNYDER SUCKS.....
Being a nationally televised game, that should show the NFL World the depth of hate that we have for this slimy,little,petty owner who has single handily embarassed and denigrated our proud franchise.

Posted by: bschrott | October 22, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The play calling now seems to be like a Rube Goldberg contraption managed by a government bureaucrat.

This should be fun to watch..

Posted by: DaveInDC1 | October 24, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

This should be fun to watch..

Posted by: DaveInDC1 | October 24, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse