Redskins Cautious with Rogers's Injury

Cornerback Carlos Rogers is expected to miss the second of the Redskins' three preseason games because of a lingering calf injury, Coach Jim Zorn said today after practice at Redskins Park.

The Redskins plan to hold out Rogers from Friday's game against the New England Patriots at FedEx Field. The team also exercised caution in not using him in the preseason opener against the Baltimore Ravens.

The coaching staff hopes to have Rogers, who is beginning his fifth season, back for the season opener Sept. 13 against the New York Giants at Giants Stadium.

"It is what it is. If a guy's not there, a guy's not here," defensive coordinator Greg Blache said. "We'll have to wait and see if he's here and healthy come the regular season. What we'll hopefully do is get him well right now and get it over with, so we'll have him for the Giants game."

When Rogers was sidelined in Week 1 of the preseason, nickel corner Fred Smoot started opposite DeAngelo Hall and second-year cornerback Justin Tryon had an expanded role in the game. Rogers's absence Friday also could lead to more work for rookie cornerback Kevin Barnes.

"Carlos is a good football player," Blache said. "There was a stretch last year where Carlos played as good as any corner in the league. If we can get him to play like that for 16 weeks, I think we'll have a big time corner on our hands."

There could be major problems in the secondary if Rogers's calf problems linger throughout the season. At this point of his career, Smoot would be more productive in the role the coaching staff has planned for him rather than having to start and play often in place of Rogers.

And although Blache and cornerbacks coach Jerry Gray continue to be supportive of Tryon, I won't believe they totally trust him until he's running with the starters occasionally when the secondary is at full strength. The Redskins need Rogers on the field to be the type of defense manager they envisioned when they lured Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth from the Tennessee Titans, retained Hall with a big contract and drafted defensive end/strong-side linebacker Brian Orakpo.

By Jason Reid  |  August 26, 2009; 4:30 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Third Downs Are Primary Concern
Next: Reid on the Radio

Comments

Better safe then sorry HUH

Posted by: hasgiiffen | August 26, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers needs to step it up.

Posted by: BMACattack | August 26, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't he have more all purpose yards than anyone in the history of the game?

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | August 26, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I believe Jerry Rice is #1, and BMitch is #2.

Posted by: p1funk | August 26, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

You definitely don't want your corner to have bad wheels when the season starts. I hope they're really letting him heal, and this is not an indication of a setback!

Posted by: Alan4 | August 26, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers being held out w/ a calf injury is the Skins way of honoring Shawn Springs' return to DC for this Friday's game.

Posted by: p1funk | August 26, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

woozle wuzzle

Posted by: alex35332 | August 26, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a big conspiracy sort, but when it comes to the HOF and the anti-Redskin bias, I think there is just too much evidence to conclude anything but that there is a bias.

Gary Clark vs michael irvin (amazingly identical stats if you count Clark's 1 subpar USFL year)

Floyd Little vs Larry Brown (no question who was better)

Chris Hanburger vs just about every senior nominee (9 Pro Bowls?)

No Hogs and only Grimm is even getting serious consideration

Art Monk takes 8 times to get in (insane)

Jerry Smith (more TDs by a TE than any TE in HOF, held TD record for TE for roughly 30 years!!)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 26, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

p, you nailed it. Jerry has him by 216. But Walter and Emmit are behind BMitch. So, again, doesn't he deserve some attention?

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | August 26, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

1. Jerry Rice 23,546
2. Brian Mitchell 23,330
3. Walter Payton 21,803
4. Emmitt Smith 21,564
5. Tim Brown 19,682

Posted by: alex35332 | August 26, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Better safe then sorry HUH

Posted by: hasgiiffen | August 26, 2009 4:33 PM

hasgiiffen - This video will explain the history......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 26, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Hey heres JZ lastest VIDEO on Kelly

Posted by: hasgiiffen | August 26, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

[1] ITA, and

[2] Click on Report Abuse on every one of this postings...

Posted by: chasgiffen

You ain't foolin' anyone, mistep isp swindlin internut losah..

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

BMitch probably deserves some consideration, though I'm not on board with special team specialists in the HOF. I think you gotta be out there 50 plays a game, not 15 to get an HOF nod. Ray Guy, 5 plays a game and people want him in the Hall. I can't get on board. Some people see it differently and they should be on the BMitch bandwagon because he clearly was an outstanding teams player for a long time.

In other words, should BMitch get deeper into the selection process than Steve Tasker or Ray Guy? Yes.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 26, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"Agree with you there….much as I loathe to say it, Buddy Ryan should be in the HOF; not as a head coach though……his contributions to the way D’ are drawn up these days are 2nd to none."

Buddy should be in the hall, if only for the time he tried to punch out Kevin Gilbride on the sidelines after the Oiler's offense turned the ball over with less than two minutes left in the first half instead of sitting on a lead.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 26, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I hear you Z but he wasn't only a teams player. He was a third down back for a long time too. The only reason he wasn't a starter was we have always had great backs. This guy could do EVERYTHING. Remember the Philly Body Bag Bowl...he ended up finishing the game at QB for us. I agree with you on teamers in general, but BMitch was a beast...he got up always in someone's face and always came to play. Wish we had him now...

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | August 26, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

opinionguy2011,
Your hand is tipping

Posted by: alex35332 | August 26, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Please stop calling that idiot "BMitch". He was never good enough to merit one-name nickname status. And his blown-up ego is quite big enough already.

Having said that, Brian Mitchell was a superb kick returner and passable backup running back. Though it's not unreasonable to mention his name in a HOF conversation, it should be brief and quickly dismissed. One-dimensional players who are locker room malcontents do not merit serious HOF consideration.

Posted by: outsider6 | August 26, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I do remember the body bag game and BMitch finishing up at QB. What a brutal game. Their defense scored a couple TDs and just abused our OL. The HC of philly that year? Buddy Ryan. That was some front 4 he had.

Of course, the Redskins faced the iggles in the playoffs later that season. In philly, Monk caught the TD pass to give the Skins the lead -- turned out to be Ryan's last game as iggle's coach.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 26, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I hate to admit it, but loser video guy is growing on me.

At least he's got creative tags for his stupid link each time. Dude's putting a lot of thought into his tomfoolery.

Posted by: farstriker | August 26, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

outsider, I understand what you are saying about BMitch but he was NEVER a malcontent while in DC. He only got bitter after he got screwed. As for his ego...if I played 14 years in the NFL and had the second most all purpose yards I'd be telling you what a bad ass I was too. And I bet you would too.

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | August 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Funny guys who are losing their box office touch:

1. Judge Apatow
2. Sascha Baron Cohen
3. Will Farrell
4. Adam Sandler
5. Jim Carrey

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | August 26, 2009 2:28 PM

Lost some box office luck sure but Apatow's talent as a filmmaker is growing, Funny People was brilliant, its just that people were too dumb to figure out its not a comedy. The rest are all stuck as 1 trick ponies though Jim Carrey almost got out and became something greater.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 26, 2009 3:11 PM |

alex - Carrey peaked in that "talking out of his ass" scene in Ace Ventura. All of us were waiting for him to top that and he never did, sad to say. Instead he's given us dreck like "Me, Myself and Irene". Also, I said box office touch, not craftsmanship. All I had to do was read a review of "Funny People" to realize that no one except the critics was going to want to see this film.

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | August 26, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I WILL SEE YOU GUYS IN A FEW UNTIL THEN WATCH THE HIGHLIGHTS ON THE RAVENS GAME

Posted by: hasgiiffen | August 26, 2009 4:53 PM

That highlights were great. Do you have highlights from last years Redskins/Cowboys game? You are doing such a good job. YOU DA MAN. I got two words for you. SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TheJury | August 26, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Today's worst headline for folks who hate eating crow:

"Jets Name Sanchez Starting Quarterback"

I'm not eating it--I already have--I'm talking about the slice USC Head Coach 'Stinky Pete' Carroll swallowed this afternoon.

Last spring, in support of Jason Campbell, we dissed both Sanchez and Cutler.

Let's skim the preseason numbers:

Jason Campbell 13 4 48 0

Mark Sanchez 12 6 131 1

Jay Cutler 23 13 185 1

I hope Campbell gets plays well this weekend, otherwise I might have to admit the FO was right--and bloggas wrong-- in chasing boh Sanchez and Cutler.

And I don't want to do that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 26, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

You staff isp changin' haters at the Post showin yer true hand..This what happens when a paper hires yuppie-style careerist and not a true homer fan yokel, I guess..Leave your hatred to the entrails, Catch-22, you'll get you're dream job in Jersey before too long..

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | August 26, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

what?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 26, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Just have Rogers rest for the next two weeks. We can't afford to lose him for half the season. Smoot is NOT a starting corner anymore, but we have no other options. I see GREAT things in Barnes for the future, but not right now.

Posted by: kickass10101 | August 26, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

you 'eard. Nothing really. Just missing.

Posted by: mikeysuperdons | August 26, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Brian Mitchell has ALWAYS been a malcontent... long before the 'Skins got tired of his act and dumped him. We just didn't have 24/7 access then via the internet and a hundred different blogs trumpeting every Redskin detail. The beat reporters had better things to do than report on a whiny primadonna of a kick returner....

Posted by: outsider6 | August 26, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

he killed a woman and got away with it because of his last name....that should NEVER be over looked....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 26, 2009 4:05 PM

A woman drown as a result of a drunk driving car accident that walked away from, not exactly killing her. Any chance you could let his body cool down before dancing on his grave? Your empathy for the recent dead rivals t_e_ and his jokes about the kid who got decapitated at Six Flags.

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Harrison adds to nation's jobless figure

Interesting piece on Marvin Harrison's inability to latch on with a team. Besides being done, apparently, Marvin's an sjkhole. And check out the last paragraph from a personnel exec. Who knew?

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 26, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

That person needs to be ignored it's not hard just act like you don't see the post......... BUT REMEMBER IT ONLY WORKS IF EVERYONE PARTICIPATES

Posted by: jiza32 | August 26, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Sween... nowadays if you drink and drive and your passenger dies when you crash, we say you killed that person. Teddy may have spent the last 40 years making up for killing Mary Jo Kopechne but it doesn't change the fact that he was responsible for her death and never faced justice for his actions. I don't think it's unreasonable to remember his victim today.

May they both rest in peace.

Posted by: outsider6 | August 26, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

French toast lovers. Thank me later. Use Hawaiian bread to make french toast. Eat the whole loaf if you like.

Posted by: getitritegov | August 26, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

"All I had to do was read a review of "Funny People" to realize that no one except the critics was going to want to see this film."

The more most people want to see a movie, the less I want to.....

Oh and Funny People won its opening weekend by the way, just so you know. Maybe didnt make 40 Year old Virgin money, but certainly wasn't a flop. If I had been the studio I would have saved this character driven piece for an fall/early spring release where it would have had more time to grow an audience as opposed to summer. But don't worry there will be more Zohans.

Two of the greatest TV show no one watched were Apatow's Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared. And the fact no one watched didn't diminish them one bit.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 26, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

I've often argued against Carlos and I still don't think he's as good as his selection # would indicate BUT with Tryon in the wings we need him on the field.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 26, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Did all of the team sign up for the 2nd RI FF League?

Draft is tommorow....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 26, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

MVP, I share your POV re BG's hysterics over TK but I don't think it was as simple as Teddy just walking away from a drunk driving accident.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 26, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Brian Mitchell did, does and will always rule. F Haters. Dude straight balled for the Skins, I loved watching him play and line up for the Burgundy & Gold! Carry on BMitch!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 26, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

The Jacksonville WR did the same thing as Ted and he walked , too..Yeah, injustice happens but Just a buncha whiney Right-Wing d-bags , WHATTA BOUT 9-11?? F'in 3000 Americans killed by NeoCon SJKs , just so they could invade Iraq and Afghanistan, for the oil and heroin..how many dead civilians..f-in hiroshima apocalypse now..

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm in the 1st FF league 4th -- so I won't be whupping you in FF this season

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 26, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Every obituary I've read for Ted Kennedy prominently includes the Mary Jo Kopechne tragedy and the travesty of justice which followed. It was a critical moment in Kennedy's life, and while he escaped anything like "just" punishment, it shadowed him all his days. Most of us have known about this for a very long time, and have accordingly tempered our opinions of the man.

For Beantown and others to act as though they're doing us and the world a great service by mentioning the Chappaquiddick accident up here is disingenuous at best... though I have to think it's driven by malice more than anything.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 26, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

"It is what it is. If a guy's not there, a guy's not here," defensive coordinator Greg Blache said.--RI

Coach Blache certainly has a way with the language. Unfortunately, that language is coach-speak.

I guess the big question is, if a guy's not here, and a guy's not there, where is he?

Posted by: TheCork | August 26, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Scamp's daily clip of Newsradio:

Always makes me laugh.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 26, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

outsider, I can't disagree about what's right being right, so I won't. Forty years ago, movie stars smoked cigarettes on screen and tobacco companies knowingly jacked nicotine like it was ... like it was nicotine. Lots of people died ... and producers were "responsible" for those deaths, but "killing" suggests some level of intent to me. [Or, at least, comparing the intent to get drunk and hop in a car in the 60's to the intent to get people jacked on nicotine so they will be more smokes ... its a difference in time.] What I was responding to was today's grave dancing, not trying to defend what the guy did. He JUST flking died. [And I can't deny that I wouldn't get off because of my last name ... on the other hand, none of my siblings has taken lead to the head for their job either.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

It is what it is. ... Unfortunately, that language is coach-speak.

Posted by: TheCork | August 26, 2009 5:39 PM

"Is what it is" is universal language. Even in Esperanto, its still spelled "it is what it is." In Braille, there are no dots ... the braille reader translates the lack of dots to mean "it is what it is." In American Sign Language, the sign is two hands facing up, finger tips out, shoulders shrug.

"It is what it is" means "I don't know what it is, what am I supposed to say?"

Posted by: dcsween | August 26, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Buddy Ryan should not be in the HOF for being a defensive genius, or even -- regrettably -- for punching out Kevin Gilbride.

Instead, he should be in the HOF for saying of Chris Carter "All he does is catch touchdowns". Thinking like that deserves HOF consideration.

I don't know if the Redskins are getting held out of the HOF because of a bias. Instead, I think it was more that the truly great Redskins of the 80's were the Hogs. Offensive linemen don't get enough credit for winning. The media/sportswriters give credit to backs, receivers, for winning. Offensive linemen seem, instead, to be judged using some other criteria. I don't know what it is. Probably not rushing yards per carry. Probably not sacks/hurries.

Here's what I mean: New England Patriots offensive tackle Matt Light was selected to his first Pro Bowl in 2007. He becomes the first Patriots offensive lineman was earn an All-Star selection since center Damien Woody following the 2002 season. Really. NE kicked ass from 2002-2007, going to the playoffs ever year and winning 2 SB. Yet they didn't have an offensive lineman in the Pro Bowl.

Does anybody know what they're rated on?

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 26, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheCork | August 26, 2009 5:39 PM

He is probably nowhere.

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 26, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

frak:

Wow, yo calmate dude. We're not gonna' solve the world's problems on the old blog, or even the ones the REDSKINS have.

Posted by: glawrence007 | August 26, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Tell me about it..Where's our new OT??

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Loved me some Khandi Alexander back in the day. Good actress too. Hot sidekick to Bill McNeal to cracked out mom on "The Corner"/junkie mom in "Menace" and "Sugar Hill" to sassy coroner.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 26, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak

Hmmm. Any results in that Marijuana Study that might account for this?

Posted by: TheCork | August 26, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 26, 2009 5:38 PM |

It is pretty crud ball.

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | August 26, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dpc2003 | August 26, 2009 5:46 PM |

Forgot about that incident. Does this absolve the Cable Guy of what he did to one of his assts? BTW, lest you think ill of Gilby, the dude was the offensive genius behind the Giants improbable SB run. Ryan must have knocked some sense into his head. Who knows, maybe the Cable Guy did the same to his asst and the Raiders will win the SB.

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | August 26, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 26, 2009 5:30 PM |

Hey, dude. I watched Freeks and Geeks. It is my all-time favorite TV show.

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | August 26, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 26, 2009 5:30 PM |

************************

Undeclared was awesome! But I think it only lasted half a season or something! Not even a whole one!

Posted by: suzannepdc | August 26, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Undeclared sucked. Freaks and Geeks was much better.

Posted by: BMACattack | August 26, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

suzannepdc, they filmed...but didnt air...a full season of Undeclared. But the DVD box has the whole thing!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 26, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

bmacattack sucks! (not really just defending Undeclared...which didnt suck!)

Posted by: chrislarry | August 26, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

CL - I didn't know that! Will definitely have to look into it. They didn't have "burn off theatre" like they do now over the summer to air the cancelled shows.

(RIP Pushing Daisies)

Posted by: suzannepdc | August 26, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Just a a quick comparison of the HOF tight ends

Career TDs / Player / In the HOF?

60 Jerry Smith NO
52 Dave Capser YES
47 Ozzie Newsome YES
45 Kellen Winslow YES
43 Mike Ditka YES
40 Jackie Smith YES
38 John Mackey YES
31 Charlie Sanders YES

Jerry Smith has more career TDs than ANY tight end in the HOF.

I just did the Floyd Little vs Larry Brown analysis ... Brown clearly was the better player

Chris Hanburger had more Pro Bowls than ANY player not in the HOF

17 of the 22 members of the All-Decade offensive players of the 1980's are in the HOF. 2 of the 5 not in are Grimm and Jacoby.

At some point, the evidence of the anti-Redskins HOF bias becomes overwhelming.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 26, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Here's where you really need Shawn Springs in the line up.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 26, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

*yawn* Because you posted right behind the known a**hole, voicing your support..Your monikers, like your posts, are unimaginative expressions of hate and frustration..razors in the bathtub, clothesline around something tall enough, etc...

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 4:55 PM

Oh, okay. I was afraid it was for something substantial.

I am dreadfully sorry that I complimented Scamp on posting a clip of a favorite TV show. The show -- and you'll love this, frak -- the show that actually spawned my RI handle, since the name "Freakzilla" actually makes a random appearance in three different episodes.

Anyway, won't happen again.

Hear that, Scamp?! Screw you! Start posting booty dances instead of Newsradio clips or you're dead to me!

Posted by: freakzilla | August 26, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Here's where you really need Shawn Springs in the line up.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 26, 2009 6:41 PM

Yeah, do you think he'll be healthy enough to play?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 26, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Not for 16 games, but 8 certainly, games like Dallas where someone is going to have to man up with Roy Williams.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | August 26, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Springs donated his calf as a going away present to Los when he left.

If they're going to let him rest it, I hope they let him rest it until it's REALLY 100%. No Springsisms please.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 26, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

And frak, 9-11 does not = Hiroshima by a long mile, and the Japanese did not drop it on themselves. Neither did we.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 26, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

...but their sushi is delicious!!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 26, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

On the HOF, Gary Clark vs michael irvin.

Clark 755 catches, 11,616 yards, 67 TDs
irvin 750 catches, 11,904 yards, 65 TDs

Super Bowl Comparison (total yds/game and TDs/game)
Clark 97.0 yds/game and 1.0 tds/game
irvin 85.3 yds/game and 0.7 tds/game

NFL Rank in receiving yards upon retirement
Clark 8th
irvin 9th

HOF QB?
Clark No
irvin Yes

On every stat that matters, Clark is equal to irvin -- its really amazing how equal they are. But ... with HOF voters, Clark never cracks the top 25 and irvin gets in on his 3rd attempt.

* note: for Clark, 56 catches, 760 yards and 2 TDs were in USFL, in essence, Clark's rookie year. Of importance, it is specifically the Pro Football HOF and not the NFL HOF -- and performance in these other leagues is to be considered as part of a candidate's career.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 26, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Mmm, sushi. And teriyaki.

And robots.

And giant monsters.

It never comes up in the movies, but I would have to think that Godzilla, Gamera, etc., would probably smell really bad.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 26, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

zilla,
Galled to see you back.

(okay, it was a typo I couldn't bring myself to correct)

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 26, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

sweet, stumped. LOL

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 26, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Ya, Mothra too. Unless it's really Sidney Poitier. And what did that guy really have for dinner anyway?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 26, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

What's with frak and 9-11? Another poseur poster posting viral vexing voodoo.

frak is a hostile apostle!

there is no difference between frak and a Christian.

I wonder how much research frak did on his own to determine 9-11 was inside job? If ya ask me, the hostile apostle parrots what he hears on propaganda videos, for the hostile apostle lacks independent thought..

If the hostile apostle had watched that moon landing conspiracy a few years back he woulda noticed that the special included qualified theorists who said it was not faked; Which separates itself from being called propaganda.

Hostile apostle: I know this post will go in one ear and out the other, so don't respond cuz I'll just ignore you.

Hey RI, guess which one of these sages is frak aka hostile apostle.

Posted by: Vicc | August 26, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Springs played in 64 out of 80 games in his time here ... 80%

Rogers played in 50 out of 64 games in his time here ... 78%

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 26, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Don't get too close, Stumped. I'm a troll isp poseur and part of a smear campaign.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 26, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Coughlin getting testy about injuries
August 26, 2009 5:45 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Giants coach Tom Coughlin didn't shed much light on cornerback Aaron Ross' hamstring injury during his news conference earlier today, but it's obvious he's tired of answering questions.

"He is limping. What can I tell you?" Coughlin told reporters Wednesday. "What do you want me to tell you? He's got a hamstring."

Coughlin did say that Ross' hamstring "was a little worse than it was," which isn't good news. At this point, it sounds like there's a decent chance Ross and defensive tackle Chris Canty won't be ready for the season opener against the Redskins. Coughlin has asked the media to stop praising his team for its superior depth, so I'm going to cooperate with at this point.

**maybe this has already been posted but makes me feel better for the Giant game

Posted by: stivic | August 26, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

... the show that actually spawned my RI handle, since the name "Freakzilla" actually makes a random appearance in three different episodes.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 26, 2009 6:42 PM |

Urban dictionary on freakzilla:

1. freakzilla
A person displaying monstrous, tyrannical behaviour, esp. toddlers or over-preened/princess women encountering cognitive disonance.

2. freakzilla
The best damn lay in the world.

3. freakzilla
Sucks 50 cent's c0ck.

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | August 26, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I asked Mrs. Freakzilla, and she says definitely definition 2.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 26, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

This is a contract year for Carlos. He better stay healthy if he wants enough money left over to feed his family after fixing his injured calf.

Posted by: Vicc | August 26, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

"Even when it happened, I knew it was not Tryon. Tryon is a better player than that. Last week is indicative of the player that he is and will be for us." Greg Blache

This is a horrible thing. Blach has so much as conceded Tryon on the team because what he made three tackles and didn't get burned for a TD? How many of those 3rd down conversions were passes to Tryons man. The right answer is 2 of the 3. This guy is going to make the team because he was a higher round draft pick last year. he adds nothing to the team, but he will probably cost a WR or RB that could help the special teams a job. This is terrible

Posted by: dbrine1261 | August 26, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Zilla,

So what's your read on the Skins this season?

I know we've won the off-season again and we're batting .500 in the pre-season, but gosh darn it, they're not giving out championships for either one (not even the regular season come to think of it).

So what do you think? Class half empty, Class half full?

Oh, and can the Shehawks unseat that Arizona football team in their division?

(You've got a better eye for the finer points of the game than I do. But keep in mind this request is in no way an endorsement of your opinions on the subject, your response can and will be used against you, after all this is RI.)

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 26, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I am not worried about the Giants that first game. We have more receivers showing advancement this year and our defense is gonna be great. I can't wait to see how well Eli reacts to the pressure we will put on him and he doesn't have Plaxico anymore. They didnt finish very well without him last year. so put it down, you heard it here first. Redskins 17 - 16

Posted by: scottmando | August 26, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scottmando | August 26, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and one more thing...on Freaks and Geeks your handle was used three different times, there are three different urban dictionary.

On F&G which definition were they using?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 26, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

...I can't wait to see how well Eli reacts to the pressure we will put on him...

Posted by: scottmando | August 26, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

The Giants should be an excellent indicator of how serious our revamped D-line will be over the course of the season.

Posted by: Vicc | August 26, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

>>>It's about getting through a 16-game schedule with, essentially, the same line that faltered in pass protection in the second half last season and was determined to be, internally, the team's biggest deficiency.

Criminey, another journalism major on the loose. That is the problem with Journalism today...journalism majors are the one's doing the work. Any chance you can get a tv gig any time soon?

2/5 = 40%

Last time I looked, two guys named Kendall and Jansen are not only NOT on the starting O line, they are no longer on the roster.

Essentially, your choosing to "massage" the facts to fit your thesis undermines your credibility and the stuff you print/post.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 26, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Springs played in 64 out of 80 games in his time here ... 80%

Rogers played in 50 out of 64 games in his time here ... 78%

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 26, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

That's a great stat zcezce,

yet we still pick on springs for being injury prone..why is that?

didn't carlos miss like 10 of those games in one season?

Posted by: Vicc | August 26, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

This site is so badly infected with multiple isp's posting from the same a**hole, it's worse than AIDS, who needs it?? Swim in your hate-filled mediocrity, Post-sanctioned a**holes...INDULGE in your destruction of Free Speech, just 'cuz the words spoken by the people don't fit to your liking, and YOU CAN!!! eternal losahs, F' Yuz...

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

On F&G which definition were they using?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 26, 2009 8:15 PM |

Definitely def 1. Freaks and geeks never get laid and they aren't hip to hip hop.

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | August 26, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

"We believe Michael Vick has served his time, paid his debt to society and deserves a second chance and the animal rights groups want to hold him hostage for the rest of his life," J. Whyatt Mondesire, president of the Philadelphia chapter of the NAACP, told ESPN. "We think that's patently unfair. It denies Michael Vick's basic civil rights, denies him his ability to make a living."

Last I checked J. Whyatt Mondesire, Mike Vick is working and Peta protesters are unfortunately exercising their right to free speech. NAACP is screwing this one up rallying for a felon who moving on with his life.

Posted by: Vicc | August 26, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

NAACP exploitations aside, I can't wait to watch Vick play this thurs.

The guy is a winner when it comes to football. DAMN i jus wish he hadn't gone to the iggles!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Posted by: Vicc | August 26, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

It was Newsradio where "Freakzilla" was thrice used, not Freaks & Geeks.

One was as an e-mail address, which I believe was freakzilla@scopenet.com.

Another was on an episode where Toby Huss guest-starred as a rapper named MC Freakzilla.

I don't recall the exact details of the third, but I do remember there being a third.

It sort of became a running joke made in passing, and I actually started using it as an e-mail and message board handle over a decade ago. I used to be a pretty hard-core Newsradio nerd. Used to post on alt.tv.newsradio on Usenet and everything.

Per our chances this year, I'm always cautiously optimistic. I'm encouraged that the O-line has performed better than I'd expected. I'm trying to withhold much judgment until after the 1st string has some extended operating time on Friday night. I'm not getting worried just yet, because low 1st quarter production doesn't necessarily predict low production for the whole game. That said, I'd love it if we started faster.

I'd just like to never see us give Betts the ball at the goal line and try to go left ever again. Has the play ever worked? Wasn't that the same play that the Gints blew up two years ago, in the game where we could've put them at 0-3 and most likely blown up their locker room? Yeesh. I know that was under Gibbs 2.0, not under Zorn, but the play seems essentially the same. That play is bad hoodoo.

As for the SheHawks, I expect mediocrity. I've never been a Jim Mora, Jr. fan, and don't expect him to do much. If Hasselbeck says healthy, they could maybe do something, but their best chance has passed them by. Their curve has intersected with those of Arizona and San Francisco. The NFC West is actually competitive again, at least internally, so Seattle's days of making the playoffs by default are over, as demonstrated last year.

That's my fully-indictable armchair take.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 26, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I think I've seen frak in downtown Seattle before, peddling the Lyndon Larouche newspaper.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 26, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: freakzilla | August 26, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Do you have a picture or video to confirm it?

Posted by: Vicc | August 26, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vicc | August 26, 2009 8:42 PM

Uh, what did Michael Vick actually win!
Maybe he won a second chance, that's all.

Posted by: joeboggs | August 26, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Do you have a picture or video to confirm it?

Posted by: Vicc | August 26, 2009 8:56 PM

Alas, no. But it looked just about like you'd imagine.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 26, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

joeboggs,

Q: Uh, what did Michael Vick actually win?

A: Football games including a few playoff games.

Anticipated Sidenote: Please don't talk about SB unless you're willing to bash Marino, McNabb, Fouts, da list goes on..

Posted by: Vicc | August 26, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

freakzilla,

LOL. when you look at hostile apostles posts, you begin to notice(ova time of course) he recycles and rehashs the same sh!t ova n ova. Standard Operating Procedure from a robot!

I tried baiting the baiter, but I guess he couldn't find the video??

Posted by: Vicc | August 26, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I still don't consider Vick a consistant type winner. Sure he's won a few games here and there and most notably the GB playoff game.

Posted by: joeboggs | August 26, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

"I still don't consider Vick a consistant type winner."-joeboggs

That's fine. Vick sure didn't live up to his potential, I'll giv ya that.

yea that GB game was impressive.

Posted by: Vicc | August 26, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frak | August 26, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse
So, frak, what do you really think?

Posted by: frediefritz | August 26, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

It was Newsradio where "Freakzilla" was thrice used, not Freaks & Geeks.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 26, 2009 8:47 PM |

Was TV on the Radio a spinoff of NewsRadio?

Posted by: FreekyGeeky | August 26, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

You know, that was an artful and entertaining rant, nimbly noted by frediefritz. Good one, frak. I share your pain but it's still pretty funny.

We fight the blog parasites with humor and ITA and whatnot.

RI, it is what it is. If it's not here, it's not there.

I believe videoman/whoever is a 15-year-old Korean kid from NoVa (sorry to all other Korean youth who are well-adjusted and sensible) who got dumped by his first sort-of-girlfriend and is taking his revenge by posting the shaky cell-phone vid of her little dance, and is trying to drive up traffic for it.

Get your glee on, kid. This brief spasm of irritation on RI may be the high point of your squalid existence, unless you count the high score you're going to rack up in your college dorm on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

Posted by: farstriker | August 26, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

MAPS11one!!!
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 26, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 26, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

B Mitchell was an all-time great Redskin. He could only do what they asked him to do, and he did it better than anyone else longer than anyone else, and has #s to prove it.

As a talking-head sports personality he's a blow-hard whose signature schtick is to shout down folks who disagree and then pat himself on his back for "wearing his heart on his sleeve" - gets really old really quick.

Posted by: p1funk | August 26, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

whateves p1

Bmitch rulz
Larry michaels drulz

Posted by: chrislarry | August 26, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Dominick Dunne Died. Durn.

Posted by: TheCork | August 26, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Larry michaels drulz

Posted by: chrislarry | August 26, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

No debate here...

Posted by: p1funk | August 26, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Got a regular roast beef from Arby's tonight for $1.99 with a coupon.

Took a satisfaction survey advertised on the back of the receipt, filled in the provided blank with the code I got when I finished the quick survey, and I can turn the receipt in for another regular roast beef, this one FREE.

Not trying to make too big a deal of it. Just sayin' I know how to live, is all.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 26, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

fire jim zorn / hire marty/ video guy is starting to grow on me.... kinda getting chuckles out of it...

Posted by: toohoes | August 26, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Livin' large freaky z

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 26, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow,how things change in a week during the pre-season.Suddenly we are solid at O-line and desperate at corner.With or without Rogers we are good,because we are four deep at safety,and Westbrook is ready to play.

Posted by: mark65 | August 26, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

zilla,
If you're ever down this way, let's do a meet-up with the PDX crew. The regular ODA site serves an awesome burger. Beer is good too. All in a family-friendly, non-sporting venue.

I find your responses to serious football questions so rational that they certainly don't belong up here on RI. It's as if you think football is a team sport or something. I say stick to the jibba jabba and throwing the occasional blog Molitov cocktails.

Okay, this kangaroo court is adjourned.

I'm out.

Hail!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 27, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Where are the Skins fans on the Pacific Rim?
Let's get this party started.
Kost?
Bankok Ben?
Anybody?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 27, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

Stumped, I was actually just down in Oregon two weeks ago for a couple of days, though not in your neck of the woods. After finishing development of a particularly grueling proposal, where I worked over 200 hours just in the final two weeks, culminating in my being awake for 38 hours straight at the end (don't worry, my boss had one of my co-workers chauffeur me), Mrs. Freakzilla ordered me to go on vacation.

We drove down to Astoria for a couple of hours, then went on to Seaside for the rest of the day. Spent the night there, then went down to Cannon Beach, which was fantastic. The weather turned out nice that day, sunny and low 70s, and the views and tide pools at Ecola State Park were good therapy. On top of that I had fish and chips and clam strips and good beer for lunch, so I was a happy camper, minus the camping part.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2009 2:13 AM | Report abuse

I was just wondering about some of those guys on the other side of the Pacific. Haven't seen them for a while. They have an important role to serve as the "Coast to Coast AM" of RI, minus the talk of aliens and black helicopters and parapsychowhatsis and false-flag operations.

We've got frak for that part.

Posted by: freakzilla | August 27, 2009 2:19 AM | Report abuse

Sounds rejuvenating.

A 24-hour party? Not so much anymore.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 27, 2009 2:31 AM | Report abuse

whasssup--I get to break the five-hour gap?

Good mooooooorning, RI!

Posted by: farstriker | August 27, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Uh oh. Another day of working for a living.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 27, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

whasssup--I get to break the five-hour gap?

Good mooooooorning, RI!

Posted by: farstriker | August 27, 2009 7:36 AM

Yeah, but we expect video with that, please.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 27, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Another day of working for a living.

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 27, 2009 7:46 AM

Working is for ordinary Joes. You're a RI Hamster. You spin for a living.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 27, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Way to go Reid. Relegated to injury reports. U da man.

Posted by: getitritegov | August 27, 2009 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Living is kibble.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 27, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: outsider6 | August 26, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Outsider...so you would have this information how then? The bottom line is exactly as P1 and ChrisLarry said it...better, longer, harder than anyone, anywhere else. Hate all you want. BMITCH belongs in the HOF too.

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | August 27, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Jason Campbell = Mark Rypien

And I'll gladly take that.

JC's clearly the kind of quarterback who will help a solid team win. And he will struggle if asked to play beyond his limits.

Anybody pining for Cutler or next year's first-round QB darling is sprinkling the Snyder bad-mojo pixie dust, along the lines of two #1s for Chad Johnson. The great-QB hope is part of the whole bad Snyder approach to this team--one more star, one more superhero, damn the expense and long-term mortgaging of the future.

Now the one big question I have about this season is whether Zorn was the right coach for Jason. My philosophy is this: Align your strategic vision with your people. If you've already got the vision, get people who fit. If you've already got the people, find a vision that fits them. Our only critical position when we hired Zorn was QB: we supposedly had (have) our QB for the next 10 years.

Since we already had Jason, entering what should be the prime of his career, we should have made sure to hire a steward of the offense--which is obviously Zorn's preferred role--who fits with what JC is best at.

And I'm just not sure of that. Staying medium seems very in sync with Jason, but I'm not enough of a football maven to know whether Zorn's game-plans and favorite plays fit with JC's rhythm and skills.

Last year gives us two different stories--first half, a big yes; second half, a big no. JC himself--the up is few INTs, the down is few TDs.

So for now I'm staying medium.

And keeping a sidelong glance on Chase Daniel as third-strong QB this year. Hey, maybe he can return kicks. Joe T did a few times.

Posted by: farstriker | August 27, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

beep... beep...

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 27, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Hands of stone and no professional commitment. Not so much a loss but addition by subtraction.

Blache does NOT trust Rogers...believe it!

HTTR

Posted by: tony11 | August 27, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1

Only 10% of the population think he should be in the hall of fame... but I saw the guy play and I would say el yeah, break down those doors! Have some pride!

Posted by: ElYeah | August 27, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse