Redskins expect the unexpected from G. Williams

Greg Blache has retained many of the principles of the highly successfully scheme Gregg Williams used when he ran the Redskins' defense for four seasons.

Although Washington has remained a top-10 defense since owner Daniel Snyder fired Williams after the 2007 season, Blache is much more conservative with blitzing than his predecessor, defensive players said. The Redskins expect Williams to utilize all his exotic blitz packages when his New Orleans Saints defense plays Sunday at FedEx Field.

"Gregg is a great coach," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "We had a good relationship when he was here and we talked a lot, and the thing about Gregg is he doesn't really give teams a chance to learn his tendencies.

"He'll bring linebackers, cornerbacks, safeties, but he changes it week to week. You may see one package one week and then not see it again for another four weeks. You see stuff on film but you really don't know what he's going to do."

Practice update

Albert Haynesworth was on the practice field after doing some rehab work inside at the start of practice, @redskinsblog tweets.

Saints injuries

Sean Payton said that cornerback Randall Gay (hamstring) is the only significant injury from Monday night's game, Jeff Duncan of the Times-Picayune tweets. Gay's status will be officially reported later, Duncan says.

By Jason Reid  |  December 2, 2009; 12:35 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning practice update
Next: Barring 'a miracle,' Hall won't play Sunday

Comments

I think it would be hilarious if the Redskins came out with ten blockers and a running back in the wildcat, and just ran that offense all day long. Who ya' gonna blitz now, Greggy Weggy?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 12:58 PM

And this would work because the Redskins are so good at the wildcat?

Posted by: League-Source | December 2, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Then on defense we run 5 DTs and 6 DEs and blitz the entire team.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 2, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

League-Source,
I didn't say it would work, I just said it would be hilarious. You can't sack the quarterback if there isn't one, right?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Um....zcezcest1....in Hamsters I am currently in the final playoff spot with tie breaker against dealer. I am also hanging HUGE scores of late and my team is BEAST. Do your HW. I will be in the playoffs and when I am in, no one will want a piece of me.

Posted by: chrislarry

You're right -- 7 teams are 7-5 or better (I got it wrong, thought it was 6) and 8 teams can win 7 games or more.

Tie Breaker is Total Points Against and both you and Copro have huge points against meaning you are both win and in.

Dealer will need to beat me (and he has a good chance at that) and hope you or Copro loses to get in. E Funk appears to be toast.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

PAskinsfan17,
Now you're talking. The Redskins would probably lose by a bunch, but this way it would be entertaining. I'd hit Brees every play until he was injured, and then when Brunnel came in to replace him and I would work even harder to make him one with the turf. The Redskins could spoil the Saints Superbowl hopes on one mean Sunday...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

League-Source,

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 1:04 PM

That's the object now -- hilarity? Like we're not already a laughing stock? Okay, how about we line up with our backs to the defense? That would be pretty funny, wouldn't it?

Posted by: League-Source | December 2, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Actually, blitzing is how you defend the WildCat. Bring your corners and stuff the run - force the RB to find a hot-read and get the ball out quickly and accurately.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

David Letterman = celeb talk show host
= spends time interviewing hottie celebs
Lettermans' wifey = homely as hell
Letterman's girfies = better, but still homely

Tiger Woods = celeb golfer
= spends time golfing
Tiger's wifey = hottie
Tiger's girfies = hotties

Riddle me this - how does that make any sense?

Posted by: Coriolis | December 2, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Boomer Esiason lays it all at Campbell's feet

Until this week, I knew of maybe two people who had publicly said the Washington Redskins had a playoff-ready roster: Vinny Cerrato and Clinton Portis. Both were widely scorned for making such a claim. Well, on Wednesday, a third name was added to the list.

"I do think that the Washington Redskins have a playoff-caliber roster, with the exception of one thing, and that's the inexperience at quarterback," Boomer Esiason said on 106.7's Mike Wise Show.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 2, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | December 2, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

book it

Posted by: chrislarry | December 2, 2009 12:50 PM

Hold it right there buddy. I am not sure about all them tie breakers and such, so best believe I will make sure I win to get that bye.....

And it is playing out exactly how I told you. I told you I was a slow starter. Started out 0-2. Now I am near the top w/o scoring big points.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 2, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Riddle me this - how does that make any sense?

Who has more money, Tiger or Dave??

Nuff said....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Who ya' gonna blitz now, Greggy Weggy?

Posted by: RedSkinHead

Greggy Weggy?
Are you kidding me?
You really think that little of one of the best defensive coordinators in the league? A guy who got three out of four years of amazing defensive out of marginal and sometimes questionable talent? A guy who wasn't hired as the coach of the team because he didn't want to be best friends with the owner?

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 2, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

And I already thought Boomer was an idiot. This seals it. We're not gonna talk about...playoffs?!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 2, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but I think that's limited thinking.

It's akin to saying a man can't walk down the street and chew gum at the same time, so let's not even try.

They have to build the O-line through a combination of FA and the draft, but that doesn't preclude finding a QB - either through FA or the draft.

It doesn't even matter to me if it's an older QB, if that QB can win next year and take this team to the playoffs, as a fan I'll be satisfied.

When the Vikings signed Brett Favre, I doubt their fans wasted any time thinking about what their team would be like at the QB position come 2011, 2012 or 2013 or beyond.

Posted by: MrRedskin21

How is that limited thinking. We continue to bash Snyder, and rightlfully so, for short sighted thinking. Again, we continue to act as though JC is THE reason we are a bad team. The Vikings built their team first and added the QB after all of the pieces were there.

The Skins need to do the same. Look at the Viking's O and D lines. Both groups are regarded as top 5 units.

As far as adding a veteran QB, who would be an upgrade? Again, don't ask for change just for the sake of it.

Posted by: dcwun | December 2, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

E Funk appears to be toast.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

You've fallen into my trap. I've got you all right where I want you.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 2, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

1st to say Leigh Torrence

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 2, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jbanks979 | December 2, 2009 1:12 PM |
-------------------------------

He WAS a head coach at Buffalo, and didn't wow anybody there.

I think Grilliams is probably like Mike Nolan, Richie Petibon and others - very good D coordinators who are just not HC material.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

And the point everyone else has been making for the last half season is even if new leadership is brought in, Campbell is still by FAR the best FA candidate at QB available, and it's not even close. So it doesn't matter whether or not they invested in him. He's still the best option, unless they opt to go full tilt on a rookie from day one.

Posted by: psps23 | December 2, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Well that all depends.

We're not playing fantasy football here and alot of the decision is going to ride on who the regime thinks could best execute their style of football.

For instance, let's just say that Shanny/Kubiak come to town and install basically the same kind of offense that Kubiak imported from Denver to Houston right now.

Rex Grossman is currently the backup for the Texans and has a 1-year contract at vet minimum. Instead of going with Campbell and having to teach him a new offense from scratch, they just sign Grossmna (who already knows the offense) and roll the dice with him for a year or 2 while they draft a QB they'd like to develop.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

He WAS a head coach at Buffalo, and didn't wow anybody there.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Belicheat in Cleveland, anyone? Shame about Petibon though.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 2, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Boomer Esiason lays it all at Campbell's feet

Posted by: Curzon417

Hillarious. If Boomer played behing this line, he would be garbage instead of the average QB he was.

Posted by: dcwun | December 2, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

He WAS a head coach at Buffalo, and didn't wow anybody there.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 1:16 PM

Really? I think he's more like Bill Belichick who got run out of Cleveland. He made the most of his second gig. So will Williams.

Posted by: League-Source | December 2, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

1st to say Leigh Torrence

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 2, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

2nd to say Pierson Prioleau

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Boomer Esiason lays it all at Campbell's feet

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 2, 2009 1:09 PM

I was the 3rd one after CP and Vinny....But sadly, my vote didn't count because my pockets weren't straight....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 2, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Belicheat in Cleveland, anyone?

Bill didn't win on a regular basis until the greatest QB possibly of all time took the snaps....so do with that what you will....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

1st to say Leigh Torrence

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 2, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

2nd to say Pierson Prioleau

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:19 PM

3rd to say Mark Brunell

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 2, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I think we should have an extra defensive player in for the first series in honor of Williams.

Posted by: DenverdoesDalls | December 2, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

p1funk, you'd rather have Rex Grossman in a system we already know he's inconsistent in under ANY coach over Campbell? Really? I'm all about second chances and players evolving, but I don't see it. And CHI went to the Super Bowl despite him, not because of him IMO.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 2, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | December 2, 2009 1:15 PM |
-----------------------

Ummmmm, no.

The Vikings had no guarantee Favre would play this year. If he hadn't, they'd be the same as last year: a 9-7 or 10-6 team with an early exit in the playoffs.

Just shows you that a good D and a great running game isn't enough. A very good QB puts them over the top.

Jason Campbell is not a "very good QB," he's had plenty of time to show he is, and I don't think the Redskins experience any drop-off at the QB position by starting someone else next season.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Anyone notice how BB can't seem to win big games against big teams this year (Colts, Saints) now that he isn't allowed to cheat??

Just sayin...

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

He WAS a head coach at Buffalo, and didn't wow anybody there.

Posted by: MrRedskin21

I think I'll go with Joe Gibbs assesment of G Williams.

Posted by: dcwun | December 2, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder will rue the day he let Gregg Williams leave this organization.

Like thunder from the mountain tops, Gregg Williams will bring down crushing blow after crushing blow unto the flailing offense of the Redskins.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | December 2, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins expect the unexpected from G. Williams"

I would never expect Gregg Williams to come out on the field in only a red thong, with a red mask, red hood, and a cape, and call for that all out LB blitz when he makes the double claws with this hands.

Therefore, because you can't expect that, they should be prepared for it.

Posted by: dcsween | December 2, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Bean, just an example of someone having a lousy first go and hitting home runs when given a second shot. It's a fair point, and I'd bet Grilliams could find success with the right pieces. I'm just not sold on him as one and done. I don't see him here though.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 2, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Just sayin...

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:23 PM

Best part of Monday Nights game was watching BB throw in the towel and say uncle w/plenty of time on the clock.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 2, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 2, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

What I was doing was laying out a scenario where a new regime passes on JC17 in favor of someone they prefer to execute their system.

Alot of folks were surprised that McDaniels rated Orton over JC17.

Just b/c folks may think that JC17 is by far the "best" FA QB out there doesn't mean a new regime is gonna keep him around.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

So maybe Grilliams shuts the Skins out.

That wouldn't be any great feat.

This is a team that was held to 9 points against the hapless Rams, and 6 points against the perpetually overhyped Dallas Cowboys.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

He WAS a head coach at Buffalo, and didn't wow anybody there.

Posted by: MrRedskin21

And how many head coaches after Grilliams have had success over there in Buffalo?

That's like saying DHall was washed up b/c he didn't play well in Oakland.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

What in the world does the lack of success by Grilliams successors in Buffalo have to do with Grilliams lack of success in Buffalo?

Because the people who followed him in Buffalo were just as lousy that makes him good?

The logic up here gets veddy, veddy weird at times.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

From Boomer's call in:

Fine, fine, boilerplate stuff, except the Campbell thing. To be a playoff contender right now, the Redskins would have to be about 6-5, which means Esiason presumably thinks Campbell is, by himself, at least three wins poorer than a playoff-caliber quarterback.
______________

Let's see: I'd say the Philly game, the Dallas game. I need one more any thoughts?

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Just sayin...

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:23 PM

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 2, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I also enjoyed watching Tom Brady's pouty little mug sulk on the sideline staring out on the field like: "What just happened?"

Yeah Golden Boy, you got your arse handed to you in a bowl of jambalaya - that's what just happened...

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Gotcha. It wouldn't be accurate to say that, for example, JC was the best FA QB for a WCO, but he may be for a team with good running and vertical game (which we currently are not). The list of names out there doesn't impress, but hell, I was wrong about Orton, I thought McDaniels was nuts.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 2, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

curz, post of the day...I DELIGHTED in that...I'm hoping they replay that game tonight on NFL Network...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

That's like saying DHall was washed up b/c he didn't play well in Oakland.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

It's funny how the same people that say Campbell has no excuses are willing to make excuses for Williams record as a HC.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 2, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Just sayin...

Posted by: p1funk

Before the season started the whole "Spygate" thing came out and they still ran the table in the regular season -- one win from doing the unheard of.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 2, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Gregg Williams, Leigh Torrence, Pierson Prioleau, Mark Brunnell

These guys are not gonna let this game trap the team. They are gonna be ready to play and will know what to expect.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 11:00 AM

VERSUS

1st to say Leigh Torrence

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 2, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

2nd to say Pierson Prioleau

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:19 PM

3rd to say Mark Brunell

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 2, 2009 1:22 PM

and the crowd says "snap!"

Posted by: dcsween | December 2, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Just sayin...

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

He managed to win 11 games last year with TB... Why does everyone hate so much on BB? The cheating if I recall was wwaayy blown out of proportion.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | December 2, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

In honor of Leigh Torrence's move to the IR, Grilliams will play the first few series with the 'missing man' formation.

Zorn will recognize this by halftime, and adjust accordingly. That's how we'll get our field goal.

Posted by: daggar | December 2, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The logic up here gets veddy, veddy weird at times.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it has something to do with working in an organization that doesn't like to spend $$ and doesn't attract very talented FAs.

I guess you think the problem in Oakland over the past several years strictly has to do with poor coaching?

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

lmao, daggar (again!)

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 2, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

*without*

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | December 2, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

va, I hate the guy because of where I live, and how much sunshine gets blown up his skirt......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Snyder to Zorn:
"Okay. So here's what we're going to do on offense. We line up Hunter Smith on first down and punt. Every time we get the ball we punt. Greg Williams can't beat us if his defense never gets on the field. I am sure Drew Brees' arm will give out after the sixth or seventh touchdown and that's when we will have them right where we want them... mwahahaha!"

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Wow.

Didn't realize there were so many Belichik fluffers here on IR.

Make one joking comment about the guy's serial cheating, and folks get all serious...

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping they replay that game tonight on NFL Network...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 1:32 PM

They are...5:30 eastern.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 2, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

How to beat Gregg Williams Defense this week:

He's going to throw the kitchen sink at Campbell and the O-line. He's going to make sure that Moss and Randle-El are covered.

When he blitzes, he can't cover everybody. Find out who he isn't covering (most likely Devin Thomas or one of the no-name RB's) and keep throwing it to them,and throwing it to them, and throwing it to them.

One thing GG does not do--ever--is adjust his game plan. If DT is open on one play, he'll be open all game long.

Book it*

*copyright 2009 by 4th floor, inc.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 2, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

4th talking real big for a guy who scored 78 points in his win. Every other winner last week scored at least 84, 4 of the 5 winners scored 94 or better.

As for Etrod, you apparently do have us where you want us.

And cL, you've scored 100 or more 3 straight weeks -- and in 5 of the last 6. Definitely going to be a threat.

Me, I think Stumps Copro team is the best in the Hamsters league ... scores well every week and has a very strong lineup.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

NO defense is ranked 16th they are not that good, so why is everyone on here acting like they are going to kill us.

They might kill us with there offense but there defense is OK nothing more.

Brady has a bad night and all the sudden NO defense is great whatever.

We have played 5 teams with better defenses then the Saints, last week we put up over 20 on a defense that is much better then the Saints.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 2, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Snyder to Zorn:

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

This reads in my head as the voice of Jon Stewart doing his best Prez Bush impression. Squint. Heh heh.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | December 2, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Theres a lot I would make light of or use as part of a joke. But the missing man formation that honored one of the best players to ever wear burgundy and gold isnt one of them.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | December 2, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Marv Levy won in Buffalo, with the same owner.

And I wouldn't compare the Raiders to the Bills.

Al Davis is clinically insane.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

The weakness on the New Orleans D is in the run game, Sadly we have a 3rd string RB

Posted by: alex35332 | December 2, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

They might kill us with there offense but there defense is OK nothing more.

Brady has a bad night and all the sudden NO defense is great whatever.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 2, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

The Saints are #1 in the league in turnovers and defensive TDs.

Next time, try looking at more than one statistic.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

gonna have to run on these guys, to keep the D honest...get rock/mason/ganther close to 30 rush's, and get them some swing passes as well...get the ball to Davis a bunch as well...quick passes, 3-5 step drops...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Marv Levy won in Buffalo, with the same owner.

And I wouldn't compare the Raiders to the Bills.

Al Davis is clinically insane.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

All that means is that Al Davis has an excuse for his poor organization.

Ralph Wilson's organization is in the tank and he's not even senile.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

agree greg. I would really like to see a heave dose of Mason/Ganther running the ball. Thought Mason should have had more touches against the iggles.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 2, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm not pimping the guy, but I thought ganther has looked good with the ball in his hands...seems to have a little wiggle, seems to know when to stick his head down, and mash it....re-watching that game last night, showed me that the stretch play they were running was having good success...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Kinda see where VaBeachBlitz is coming from RE: Belichick.

Yeah, so the Patriots got caught filming the Rams walk through back in the 2001 super bowl.

IMO, bfd.

People cheat all the time at the time and significant success was a byproduct from their cheating. Whether in sports or this thing called real life.

Bean, the reason why you hate Belichick and the Pats is the same reason Dallas fans or other football fans in the DMV give for rooting against the 'Skins.

Not you specifically, but if you don't like the local coverage of the hometeam in your respected market, then move or lose your interest in football. I tell all "Skins haters this. It like: "No f'ing duh. Um, yeah, if the home-team is even close to being good the local media will gas them up. Even if they suck they will get discussed to no end. It's football, the #1 sport in America, whadda ya expect?"

And please no one mention that he runs up the score. There is no such thing.

Posted by: RedDMV | December 2, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I've said that I wouldn't be surprised by a Redskins win in any week since week 1. This team has enough talent to compete and we really haven't played games vs the league's elite teams.

But I would be surprised if they won this week vs the Saints.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I recall him almost losing 2 fumbles.

I think one was recovered by Skins and the other he just managed to be down by contact before the ball got stripped out.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Riddle me this - how does that make any sense?

Who has more money, Tiger or Dave??

Nuff said....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 1:12 PM |

Tiger might be worth $1 B and Letterman $100 M. But Jesus, at some point well below $100 M having more $$$ doesn't mean much. And chicks always dig a sense of humor, where on a scale of 1 to 10 Tiger might have a 2 and Dave a 9.

Posted by: Coriolis | December 2, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

They might kill us with there offense but there defense is OK nothing more.

Brady has a bad night and all the sudden NO defense is great whatever.

Posted by: Flounder21 | December 2, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I hate to break it to you but a lot of the yards and points against them come in garbage time. They beat the tar out of you in the first half and let off the gas. This is probably one of the most complete defenses I've seen this year. They have 1 weakness though. You can run up the middle on them. short to intermediate passed coupled with a stong downhill running game is what we need. Too bad we don't have the strong downhill running aspect of the gameplan.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 2, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Marv Levy won in Buffalo, with the same owner.

And I wouldn't compare the Raiders to the Bills.

Al Davis is clinically insane.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

True, but Levy also had Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed and Bruce Smith. Bill Polian was his GM. Those type of guys aren't around there right now, and I'd venture to guess Levy would be pretty mediocre if he coached their current roster...

Posted by: mattylight | December 2, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

imo, Belichick is a punk.

Yes, he runs up the score.

Interestingly, he pulled the plug down 21 with 5:26 and 2 TOs left, on a team that has Tom Brady and Randy Moss.

And I know why. He was afraid if the Pats kept fighting, the Saints would end up dropping 52 on him instead of 38, and he couldn't face that humiliation.

Classic case of a guy who can dish it out but can't take it.

I doubt Peyton Manning leaves the game if the Colts are down 21 with 5:26 left and 2 TOs.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21

I guess that's why the Jets were so good last year right? Look, The Vikings were gonna win 10 games this year regardless. They had Gus the head banger at QB last year and still won. Why, because the peices around him were outstanding.

Posted by: dcwun | December 2, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

As for Etrod, you apparently do have us where you want us.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2009 1:42 PM

Team 4-12 has hit its stride...well over 100 points a week now. Nobody wants to face us in the playoffs.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 2, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Book it*

*copyright 2009 by 4th floor, inc.

Posted by: Original_etrod | December 2, 2009 1:41 PM

All credit due to the Honorable ChRRis LaRRy...

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 2, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Al Davis is clinically insane.

Posted by: MrRedskin21

He should run for a congressional seat, he'd have lot's of company!

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | December 2, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | December 2, 2009 2:00 PM |
----------------------------------

And your point is?

I said they'd win 9-10 games this year without Favre and have another early exit from the playoffs, behind either Sage or T-Jack.

Without a very good QB, their good D and great running game only takes them so far.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

red, it has more to do with the local coverage of the pats acting like they won Monday night, acting like the Colts game was won by the refs....come on up and experience it, the pats can do no wrong, and anyone who beats them either cheated, or the pats weren't interested in playing....Bill going for it against the colts was the right call, same for going for it against the Saints....

the pats tape all their press conferences at Gillette...you ask the wrong question, and you don't get invited back.....

I expect both sides of the arguement, but that doesn't happen....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

And apparently, nobody will face the 4-12s in the playoffs, as we have no shot at the post-season.

Nevermind.

Posted by: 4-12 | December 2, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

The Saints are #1 in the league in turnovers and defensive TDs.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Which makes me wonder why we didn't get more turnovers and score more defensive TDs when he was the DC here.

Posted by: rbpalmer | December 2, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Al Davis is clinically insane.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 1:44 PM |

Al is undead. All zombies are a little screwball.

Posted by: Coriolis | December 2, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Earlier in the season, like week 3 i posted what Campbell's stats averaged out too for the 16 season.
Thought I would give an updated version.

If he were to play the remaining 5 games like he has the last 11, he would be

311/477 passes 3428 yards, 17 TD's 16 Ints with 43 sacks -264 yards. 48 rush attempts for 232 yards and a TD, 14 fumbles with 4 lost.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 2, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

imo, Belichick is a punk.

Yes, he runs up the score.

Classic case of a guy who can dish it out but can't take it.

Posted by: MrRedskin21

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

As for Etrod, you apparently do have us where you want us.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2009 1:42 PM

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

Stumps team is the BEST??? WTF?!?!?

I present to you peoples exhibit #1:

I may have scored 78 points but I BEAT SUZZANE. THE WON WHO HAS DOMINATED THE WHOLE SHABANG FROM THE GET GO.

And I may have lowest scoring team in the league, but I AM TIED FOR 2ND PLACE AND A BYE. WTF?!?!?!?

So what are you saying? I am a fluke?

MOTIVATION!!

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 2, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

not good beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

imo, Belichick is a punk.

Yes, he runs up the score.

Classic case of a guy who can dish it out but can't take it.

Posted by: MrRedskin21

What I meant to say is ... I completely AGREE

Posted by: zcezcest1 | December 2, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

And your point is?

Posted by: MrRedskin21

My point is put the damn pieces in place first. The offense has too many holes to make the QB the focal point of the problems.

Its sort of like the people of New Orleans blaming the rain for the flooding instead of the broken levy.

Posted by: dcwun | December 2, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

If he were to play the remaining 5 games like he has the last 11, he would be

Posted by: alex35332 | December 2, 2009 2:05 PM |

Below average QB and below average OL. The stats have been regressing and will continue to regress w/o running game and above average opponents in upcoming games.

Posted by: Coriolis | December 2, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 1:59 PM

Six years ago, on a Monday night in October, the Colts trailed the Bucs in Tampa by 21 points with four minutes to play.

But Colts coach Tony Dungy didn't throw in the towel. And he was rewarded for showing faith in his team by a comeback for the ages. Led by Peyton Manning, Indy scored three touchdowns to force overtime -- and then won the thing in the extra session.

On Monday night in New Orleans, the Patriots regained possession of the ball with 5:22 to play after a missed field goal, trailing the Saints by 21 points, 38-17.

So the stage was set for another stunning outcome, right?

Wrong.

Pats coach Bill Belichick threw in the towel, pulling quarterback Tom Brady and many other starters and conceding the win to Sean Payton, Gregg Williams, and the rest of the Saints.

Posted by: Curzon417 | December 2, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Of the 50 something years the Buffalo Bills have been in existence, only Marv Levy has one up there in upstate NY.

That should tell you something.

Bills (save for '90s) = pre 2008 Cardinals = pre '98 Buccaneers = pre Holmgren
Seahawks

On a side note: WTF do you call the years from 2000-2009. The '0s?

Posted by: RedDMV | December 2, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

It was all set up for Campbell - contract year, soft early schedule, continuity in the system, and he failed to deliver. I keep waiting for the the guy to take the next step but he just can't seem to do it.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 2, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse