Redskins sign QB Bartel, add a FB (updated)

The Redskins signed quarterback Richard Bartel from the Jacksonville Jaguars' practice squad and have released quarterback Andre' Woodson from their practice squad.

Bartel is the third quarterback on the active roster. Starter Jason Campbell and backup Todd Collins have been the only active quarterbacks this season.

The Redskins, via Matt Terl's tweet, signed fullback Jonathan Evans to Woodson's practice-squad spot.

The mayor chats today

Chat with Jason Reid at 11 today.

By Jason Reid  |  November 25, 2009; 7:59 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rock's chance to roll; a Gray-to-Memphis report
Next: Report: Gray to coach Memphis (updated)

Comments

Posted by: RedBee | November 25, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

diesel44

"We haven't drafted a lineman in the first 2 rounds since Samuels and I say not only do we need to draft the next Samuels we need the next Grimm too."

I agree with some of this.

The team does indeed need to draft superior linemen.

But the people who drafted Grimm and Samuels aren't running things now.

You can take a tackle with picks 1 and 2 and still need a quarterback (give up the Colt fantasy when Sam Bradford's there to be had--please), running back, and depth.

Long term thinking means you devote the next three years to adding a 1st or 2nd round pick to the offensive line--the great improvement folks want is not all going to happen next April.

And for every Tre Johnson, there's an Andre Johnson--a lineman drafted high who was a bust.

Skins fans always forget about that guy when listing failed high round drafted skill players who were busts.

Thing is, if the draft is a crap shoot, you don't stop drafting at a position just because some guy in long ago forgotten time failed.

Troy Williamson failed in vikingsland, and they still went after Harvin.

Art Schlicter failed for the colts, yet they still went after Manning.

Did the seahawks remember Brian Bosworth while drafting Lofa Tatupu and Aaron Curry?

Nope.

Should the skins forget past failures and use a mix of top free agents, Hanyesworth-type money, and drafted players to add offensive linemen and speed?

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 25, 2009 8:09 AM | Report abuse

We should have kept Chase Daniel!!

Posted by: fearturtle44 | November 25, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

BOYCOTT $NYDER,
Instead give the money you would spend on $nyder's investments to a charitable organization during the holidays. Abe Pollin would be proud of you as well as hessone. I know you are probably sick of seeing my post about the BOYCOTT $NYDER thing but don't lose focus. Happy Thanksgiving and remember:

THE MOST PESSIMISTIC FAN CAN REFUSE TO GIVE $NYDER MONEY AND STILL SAY A BOYCOTT WON'T WORK!!!

Posted by: hessone | November 25, 2009 8:16 AM | Report abuse

"We should have kept Chase Daniel!!"

We should draft one of the following quarterbacks:

Sam Bradford
Colt McCoy
Jake Locker
Tony Pike

But not until free agent money and draft picks go towards improving the offensive line.

Otherwise, we'll be watching Pat Ramsey-like reruns every Sunday.

Like we do now.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 25, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

moe, woke up to lots of baseball stuff today, sox are shopping Lowell, and are willing to pick up 6large of his contract, as well as they, the yanks, and the angels are in a contested pissing match for the services of Doc, and finally the Tigers are dumping payroll, and the sox have set their sights on Miggy...

Personally, I'd rather have Adrian Gonzo, but the tigers might be forced to accept pennies on the dollar for Cabrera, who comes with baggages..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

From the Times, just shut CP down before he does permanent damage:

Clinton Portis hopes to return for the Redskins in 12 days against the New Orleans Saints.

Appearing on 980's The John Thompson Show, Portis said all of the MRIs and X-Rays have come back negative but he still experiences blurry vision when he moves his head quickly side to side.

Doctors are also limiting his physical activity to the stationary bike and walking.

"I've seen six or seven doctors but for the most part, everything is fine and checking out well," Portis said. "I think I passed all the tests I've taken. ... Now it's a matter of correcting my vision and getting back on the field."

Portis on being out of shape if he returns: "Being its midseason, I don’t think I would be out of shape that quick."

Portis on his vision difficulties: "I could sit still and read everything you put in front of me. But when you move me and shake me around, that’s when it happens."

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

"...and will release quarterback Andre' Woodson from their practice squad..."

Woodson looked good at Kentucky.

But the NFL is a machine that cranks out the NCAA's alleged stars, and spits them into the wind.

Does it mean the skins should stop looking for someone to play behind Campbell next season?

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 25, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

beantown

The Sawx need to lay low all Winter and pounce to outbid anybody who tries to sign John Lackey.

Y'all need to be able to go 'four deep' with your starters.

This would mean:

Beckett
Lackey
Dice K
Lester

That ain't bad if each guy is ballin' every five days and you throw in the knuckleballer to jack things up.

Pitcher who stop scoring are just as important as hitter who drive in runs.

I'd also lay back and watch the Yanks-Matsui drama.

He's a Sawx killer: so add him if you can, and let him play a little outfield and DH.

If he goes the the Mariners, make a deal for Curtis Granderson and move Ellsbury out of centerfield.

Finally, Cabrebra will play well in Boston.

Add him too.

And I'll stop 'sleeping with the enemy' by endorsing ideas for the sawx.

'Cuz I'm a Yankees fan who wants 'nuther ring!

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 25, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter if they went out and signed Bartolo Colon as QB.

No improvement along the line, more of the same QB play.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 25, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe and BeantownGreg1,
Can you exchange phone numbers and talk baseball over the phone. It's almost winter for crying out loud. Baseball season is long enough and we need a break from it. Not to mention how boring it is to watch.

Posted by: hessone | November 25, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Jerry Gray close to escaping the 'Skins
Posted by Mike Florio on November 25, 2009 8:37 AM ET
Redskins secondary coach Jerry Gray, once regarded as a member of the short list for NFL head-coaching jobs, is close to getting a crack at wearing the whistle, but at the college level.

As John Taylor of CFT points out, multiple reports indicate that Gray will become the next head coach at Memphis.

LSU assistant coach Larry Porter also is under consideration for the job.

Both men are African-American; coupled with last week's decision by Western Kentucky to hire Stanford assistant Willie Taggart, the Memphis move will result in two new minority coaches at NCAA football programs, a dramatic development in an era featuring supposedly liberal university presidents who largely have been doing their best Al Campanis impersonation.

Posted by: Flounder21 | November 25, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm.

There ain't much sitting still and reading in a football game, but there's plenty of moving and shaking.

I bet that CP26 wants to get shut down for the season, but he knows he can't just come out and lobby for it publicly.

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

red, agreed, which to me, is why it has to be LT/RT in the draft. We can make do with some of the interior, Dock/Rabach can stay, just need to figure out if BMW/Rhino will be at RG. Draft a RB/QB, and what changes, they're getting mugged in the backfield, same as whats happening today.

moe, yeah, miggy brings some baggage. In a perfect world, they bring in A-Gon, Lackey, and Doc, and then we get the popcorn ready...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

hessone, happy thanksgiving...hope your turkey is overcooked...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

It doesn't matter if they went out and signed Bartolo Colon as QB.

No improvement along the line, more of the same QB play.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 25, 2009 8:45 AM |

They already did that. Signed Fanaica from the Eagles, so line problems are solved. Expect QB wreckage -- Bartel will be starting against the Saints.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Really? No Chase Daniels??

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 25, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

"Not to mention how boring it is to watch."

Boring is relative.

But I understand your angst, sir.

This is a football blog for a team headed to the offseason free agency playoffs.

So I'll handle my baseball issues in another format.

Beantown, my phone number is:

1-800-Yanks-Won-Son

I won't hold my breathe waiting for your call.

Trust me.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 25, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

So why didn't the Skins go after QB Chase Daniels last week when he was let go by the Saints? One more reason for me to disagree w/ Cerrato.

Posted by: MrMerkin | November 25, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 25, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sold on any of these QBs. I'd rather wait and take one next year or see if anyone good falls to the 4th round.

Sam Bradford - Will get killed behind this line and we've never seen how he plays under pressure. He's always had a great line at Oklahoma. I predict a seperated shoulder by week 3.

Colt McCoy - Weak armed QB that rarely has to make more than 1 or 2 reads. He may work out here but I doubt he'd be much better than what we already have. I don't see him as much of an upgrade.

Jake Locker - Not enough film on this guy yet. I hear criticisms that he locks onto receivers and misses wide open targets. If we're dumping a buttload of money into the guy I'd like to see more of him in big games.

Tony Pike - Could be a great fit here as well but it is very concerning that his backup came in and tore it up just as much as he has. Is he really talented or is he a system guy?

First Round:

Russell Okung - Classic blindside protecting left tackle. Appears to be the closest thing to Chris Samuels in the draft.

Bryan Bulaga - Athletic tackle that can pass block and is an effective run blocker. Appears athletic enough to adapt to most blocking schemes.

Bruce Campbell - Freak of nature type athlete that could be great against the speedy edge rushers in our division.

Charles Brown - Another athletic tackle that could be very good here.

Second Round:

Trent Williams - Would make a terrific right tackle if he falls to the second.

Ciron Black - Could be a good left tackle or a great right tackle. Has as much upside as any tackle in the draft.

Anthony Davis - NFL Right tackle that can maul in the run game. Struggles time to time against speedy edge rushers but nothing near as bad as our current guys and could benefit from Bugel's teachings.

Kristofer O'Dowd and Stefen Wizniewski are 2 great junior center prospects that may be coming out this year in fear of a rookie pay scale.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

where are we positioned to draft right now, and who is in front of us??

moe, give me that number again, the one listed above isn't working....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 9:05 AM

I just read where he's now a 3rd or 4th rounder as he has been consistently this year by speed rushers. His best position may be as a guard.

Posted by: TWISI | November 25, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

hessone, happy thanksgiving...hope your turkey is overcooked...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Bean. Don't take it so hard. I just get tired of baseball after a while. I hope your turkey comes out perfect. BTW I prefer chicken over turkey.

Posted by: hessone | November 25, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

where are we positioned to draft right now, and who is in front of us??

moe, give me that number again, the one listed above isn't working....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I assume this is updated regularly.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrMerkin | November 25, 2009 9:04 AM

Maybe they didn't go after him because they hadn't just put three guys on IR? What have you seen that makes you think Chase Daniels is better than Bartel?

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 9:11 AM

Thanks for the link, PA. It was updated before last Sunday's loss, and it had us picking at #7, or #8 in a coin flip with Seattle.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

look at this, is there any replacements?

Posted by: Skins2 | November 25, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

pa, can't access, but my bigger point was that we should look at where we are drafting, and who currently is in front of us that might need to draft a LT...for instance the Rams, just drafted Jason Smith, etc....

I mean, if Okung falls to us, I'm of the persuasion that we should be pimping him to the highest bidder...we're not nearly close enough to turn stuff down.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I thought Voldermort killed him?

What about a Vince Young type?

Posted by: CheyenneWY | November 25, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

BTW I prefer chicken over turkey.

Posted by: hessone | November 25, 2009 9:11 AM |

chicken : turkey :: baseball : football

Go turkey!

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Turker>Chicken

Posted by: CheyenneWY | November 25, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

maybe they can coax Craig James out of retirement. a backfield of Bartel & James may not be any good, but at least the koolaid would have a kick to it

Posted by: mdrockjock | November 25, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

From PFT:

Jerry Gray close to escaping the 'Skins
Posted by Mike Florio on November 25, 2009 8:37 AM ET

LSU assistant coach Larry Porter also is under consideration for the job.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 25, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Snyder's running around with the "We're embarrassed, our fans deserve better" crap. Apparently it's part of a bigger trend among losing franchises afraid of losing their season ticket holders. Today's Wall Street Journal strings together paragraphs from seven different letters that teams have sent to their fans. One of the paragraphs below is from a letter that Lerner sent to the Nats ticket holders:

To Our Great Fans,

Your team has played very hard this season, but with an unprecedented amount of injuries we just haven’t been able to attain a victory.

Our record was to be expected – but it will not be accepted. Big difference, I think. What matters most to me is how we respond to adversity this season – knowing it will come in heavy doses occasionally.

Self-analysis started for me and our staff on Saturday night. It is an unpleasant but necessary process. At some point we will be able to distance ourselves emotionally, and in doing so find some positives from the 2009 season.

Our hope was that a solid club leadership would emerge on and off the field and that some intangible combinations would begin to click resulting in many winning streaks.

Our unwillingness to accept mediocrity has caused you additional aggravation over the short term. We regret that this was necessary but you deserve much more than a mediocre team.

We are currently finalizing our ticket pricing for 2010. Season Tickets prices will be reduced by an average of more than 10 percent, with several seating areas being adjusted by more than 20 percent.

I am extremely proud of our franchise, its accomplishments, and the region and fans that we represent. We have an illustrious history, one which we are all anxious to add to, and if someone does not wish to be with us as we head in this direction, then we will move on, and move forward.

There is not a lot else to say, just that as a group of professionals we were embarrassed by the way we performed, we feel it was below our standards and this is something we feel we owe to the fans.

I love my job because I love this team…

Go Padres!

In other words, "blah, blah, blah ... send us money ... blah, blah, blah."

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Stupid question but when Jerry Gray is named HC of Memphis today does he leave immediately or finish out the season with us?

This is yet more bad news for the Skins. This season has been profoundly SAD.

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 25, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Turker>Chicken

Posted by: CheyenneWY | November 25, 2009 9:20 AM

Turker? The guy at Purdue's training camp who tells the chickens that they've been cut?

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

where are we positioned to draft right now, and who is in front of us??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I belive we are currently 5th. We are behind Cleveland, St Louis, Tampa Bay and Detroit. We have the same record as Oakland, Seattle and Kansas City but are ahead of them by virtue tie breakers (they each have a divisional win).

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 25, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

chicken : turkey :: baseball : football

Go turkey!

Posted by: League-Source

Good one! Still laughing.

Posted by: hessone | November 25, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 25, 2009 9:25 AM

He's probably already home packing and calling high school kids to convince them to come to Memphis. We don't want a coach who's signed another contract anymore than he wants to go to Philly on Sunday.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

oe, thanks. so I believe that Cleveland, st. louis, and det, kc, all don't need a LT, so tb, oak, and seattle do...so we need to hope to finish in FRONT of them...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 9:31 AM

Bean, Neither necessary nor sufficient. All the teams with the top picks will be looking to trade down.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Memphis: currently 2-9 with blowouts at SEC also rans:

September 6 Mississippi L 45-14
November 7 at Tennessee L 56-28

Sounds like a job for some young eager beaver HC at a div II school looking to eke out a couple of 6-6 up-tick seasons and then move on to better things, not a dude who has seen the bright lights and big titties of the NFL.

Posted by: LibertyValence | November 25, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Snyder could sell the Skins and buy the Nats.

Then he could spend as much as he wants, and actually get results - something that can be done in baseball as opposed to football. He could make the Nats the NL's answer to the Yankees.

More importantly, he'd be out of OUR hair.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 25, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Chase Daniel came available and the Skins didn't sign him? Stupid!! He already knows the system and could step right in and play if needed.

Posted by: SkinsfaninNebraska | November 25, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

And nobody will be looking to trade up. We will have a heck of a time trying to trade out of a top 5 pick.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Chase?
I swear, what's up with deification of preseason third string QBs? Colt, Chase. They both would have been released if Colt hadn't got hurt.
The QBs in the draft aren't that impressive. Sure they have potential but no one jumps out as the Joe Montana of this draft class. The FA class is topped by JC.
My suggestion, max tender JC. Bring in another vet QB to complete for the starting position, cut Todd. Draft a project QB in the mid to late rounds.
Get OLINE HELP!!!
It starts there people. No one will look like a franchise QB behind this current line.

Posted by: priceisright | November 25, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 9:40 AM

Well, last year the Jets traded up to grab Sanchez with the #5 pick. If Okung is the lock everyone is saying, then teams might try to get ahead of the Redskins.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

not sure how I feel about Gray jumping ship...on one hand I look at the talent in the secondary, and feel like it should be better, but on the other hand, I look at Rogers/Landry, and don't see much improvement over the past 2-3 years....conflicted, I am...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Snyder could sell the Skins and buy the Nats.

More importantly, he'd be out of OUR hair.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 25, 2009 9:39 AM |

Snyder saw the Skins as a fantastic business opportunity when he bought the team 10 yrs ago. Milk $$$ out of a fanbase that was smack in the midst of a 3 SB reverie from the Gibbs 1.0 era. With the Nats there is no fanbase and no delirium and hence no $$$ so what is the point of having unlimited spending when there is nothing to spend?

Posted by: LibertyValence | November 25, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

price, do you mean max tender as in franchise tag Campbell? I'm not to sure what a max tender is other than the franchise tag.

Dude would be making like 10 million dollars next season if they did that.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 25, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Bring back Emmitt Thomas.

I'm sure Snyder can pay him more than the Falcons.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 25, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Bean, let him go, and Blache after the season with him. I'd like to get a couple of defensive coaches in here who like to play aggressive, blitz-happy, punch you in the mouth defense, instead of the passive, bend-but-not-break mentality we have, for the most part, right now...

Posted by: mattylight | November 25, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Last year there were 2 elite QB prospects this year there are none. Claussen is supposedly the top prospect. I just don't see teams falling over themsleves to take Jimmy Claussen. There are a lot of decent QBs this year but no elites. Why trade up to draft Jimmy claussen when you can stay where you're at and get Tony pike?

There's no way I'd let Okung go though. If he is gone then yeah I'd look to trade down otherwise I'd draft him.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 9:46 AM

All the coaches will be gone in two months so what difference does it make. Good for Gray ending up in an HC job at an insignificant college on the Mississippi River.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

hessone, happy thanksgiving...hope your turkey is overcooked...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Posted by: hessone | November 25, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Hess,

Way to take the high road with Bean. This Blog is for opinions and if you disagree with Bean he calls you an idiot. I better watch out he might use his other popular comeback "do you have any stat's to back that up"?

Posted by: Seasontickets1966 | November 25, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

We need that 3rd rounder back.. We need to trade somebody to pick it up.. And I'm not a believer in getting rid of Carlos.... Cause we really don't need to be trying to find a CB also in the off-season.... Unless there is someone else out there just as good... At a good price..

Posted by: cocodc1 | November 25, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Get OLINE HELP!!!
Posted by: priceisright
_______
I agree Chase was not the answer.. he's just to short. But sign Campbell.. are you crazy??? Campbell has done nothing but lose since he has been here. I used to think Schuler was the worse pick the Skins ever made at QB.. but at least he only played for 2 years.. Campbell is like a bad habit.. he's worse because he keeps playing and LOSING. No FIRST get rid of Campbell. But I would look to sign a FA QB.. like David Carr on the Giants. Bring back Colt.. see how he looks playing healthy.. and use draft picks to get OLmen... Oh and I have no problem keeping Collins around for one more year.. but I would like to see him play some THIS YEAR to see if he can look anything like 2007 again.

Posted by: sovine08 | November 25, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

What if this dude Okung's stock tanks at the combine, like Malcolm Kelly did?

Then what? From what I hear it's a weak year for 1st round offensive tackles.

Trade?

Of course all this means nothing if they still have Cerrato making the selections.

Fire Bugsy Cerrato and hire a GM or promote Morroco Brown.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 25, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

So who is gonna talk to the media about the defense?

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

What if this dude Okung's stock tanks at the combine, like Malcolm Kelly did?

Then what? From what I hear it's a weak year for 1st round offensive tackles.

Trade?

Fire Bugsy Cerrato and hire a GM or promote Morroco Brown.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 25, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

That's a good point I think. We don't want to pigeon-hole ourselves into taking a LT just to take one, especially if there isn't one out there worthy of the high draft pick we'll have. If that's the case, I would def explore trading down and picking up more picks. Can always find a o-lineman at the bottom of the 1st round or even the 2nd...

Posted by: mattylight | November 25, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Oh and assuming the 'skins do pick fifth and Okung is gone, if they trade back, what should they expect in return?

Posted by: RedDMV | November 25, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

tix1966, yeah, shame on me, I mean, lets just make stuff up and run with it right??

"PFT is reporting that with 10 interceptions this year, Carlos Rogers is looking for Deangelo Hall like contract. We're hearing something along the lines of 25 million guaranteed, over 6 years"

more to come....I love this game...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

oh i misread this over on ES, I thought it was a done deal, if they plan to, maybe he says no ;)

Posted by: Veretax | November 25, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cocodc1 | November 25, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Carlos is gonna demand #1CB money as he's already started burning bridges with the organization. He needs to get traded.

We don't need to go "looking" for another CB in the offseasn b/c we'll still have Smoot and 2 young ones on the roster.

I know it's a radical thought for the Redskins, because they'd rather throw $15mill guaranteed at someone else's CB, but we could focus on coaching up Tryon and Barnes and groom them to be starters.

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Red- I mean max tender as in a tender offer in which we get a 1st round pick if he signs with another team. Franchise JC, no way. If a team wants him, make them pay.

Posted by: priceisright | November 25, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Another Beantown chestnut would be along the lines of "could you post the content of the article in which chicken is favorably compared to turkey? I can't access that link from work."

I got our gorgeous ten-pound organic heirloom-breed bird into an apple cider brine bath last night, which will almost idiot-proof the roasting process on Thursdee. Moist, tender, delicious turkey. Hallelujah!

There's a reason we only eat turkey once or twice a year, but I think it's a matter of logistics, not of taste.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"Don Banks is reporting that the Washington Redskins are in active negotiations with Coach Jim Zorn, in extending his contract. Originally signed to a 3 year deal, and with the team having gone 8-2 this year, the team is interested in locking him up long term"...

tix, which one you like better??

I got a TON of them.....idiot

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

What if this dude Okung's stock tanks at the combine, like Malcolm Kelly did?

Then what? From what I hear it's a weak year for 1st round offensive tackles.

Trade?

Fire Bugsy Cerrato and hire a GM or promote Morroco Brown.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 25, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Well yeah but he could also get hit by a bus. We're just talking about the draft because we're bored and at this point it's the only thing we have to look forward to. The class is only weak in the sense that there is only 1 elite tackle. Last year there were 4 elite tackles. This class is abundant with decent tackles though. I'd say this year's tackle class is as weak as the QB class. Only 1 or 2 elite prospects and a whole bunch of guys that are decent.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

So who is gonna talk to the media about the defense?

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

clinton portis dressed up as Sherif Gonna Getcha.

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | November 25, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Another good call. As Orakpo and Jarmon continue to acclimate themselves to the NFL, I only see them and our pass rush getting better and better, which in turn should alleviate some of the concerns in the secondary, at least in theory. No need to have a knee-jerk reaction to losing Rogers, develop the guys you already have and address bigger needs...

Posted by: mattylight | November 25, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: priceisright | November 25, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Who do you think wants him?

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Seasontickets1966 | November 25, 2009 9:54 AM

I hate it when bean-boy gets away with this crap up here. I'm just waiting for the day when someone actually has the stats and puts the chowdah head in his place!

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Who do you think wants him?

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

If anyone does, I doubt they'll show their cards now b/c they know our FO is desperate to get rid of him, which will drive the asking price for him way down.

Posted by: mattylight | November 25, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Speaking of Rogers - what's up with the strange situation there? After he was benched against Denver, Jerry Gray (and Zorn) both came out and said he had a great attitude and a good practice. Then they started Smoot again and only played Carlos sparingly.

He most likely will have to play this weekend since Hall is out but are they trying to "hide" him or what?

Posted by: Lisa_R | November 25, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

p1, if Rogers demands #1 cb money, I hope that he gets the full on Snyder treatment of vanilla ice cream, as well as a flat screen tv....

seriously, if he does demand that, then the Redskins should show him video footage of him getting burned on the dreaded double move, from his rookie year, up to this year...then they should give him a wedgie, as well as go to his house and do an upper decker...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 10:03 AM

And with the apple cider brine you'll have the dessert at the same time as the main course!

Beantown's turkey is in a vinegar brine as we speak.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

sovine08- So Carr is better than JC? JC might not be Farve but he's not Shuler.
I'm just saying QBs are like used cars. Our used car might not be the best but at least we know what the problems are.

Posted by: priceisright | November 25, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Oh okay. Indeed, price. Never heard of that before. Maybe because teams are unwilling to give up draft picks.

If the team is unwilling to resign the guy they've tendered to a long term deal, then why would the other team give up a draft pick for the guy?

No way a team will surrender a 1st round pick for Campbell though.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 25, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | November 25, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

They should expect a lot. A top 5 pick is worth a mid first rounder and a late first rounder.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 10:09 AM

Rogers isn't going to be in negotiations with the Redskins to demand anything. Love to know what went wrong there, but Rogers is more likely to be the DB coach at Memphis than he is to be talking with the Redskins about money.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Who do you think wants him?

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | November 25, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Teams around the league that could reasonably be in the market for a QB that I can think of:
-Buffalo
-Oakland
-Carolina
-San Francisco
-Cleveland

Even if they wanted him, who would cough up a first-rounder? It's not like JC17 has shown himself to be a franchise kind of QB.

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

No, I'm just saying a guy that performed well against 1st string competition, scored our first points of the pre-season, and knows the plays MAY be a better 3rd stringer than some newb added to the squad mid season.

Seems logical doesn't it? I'm not even saying that we go with him (Chase), I'm asking why we didn't. It's not a rhetorical question... It's a question.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 25, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Richard Bartel. Huh. Any relation to the great Paul Bartel?

On wikipedia it says he left SMU and went to Tarleton State U, wherever the hell that is. Big, tall kid... UFA pickup by the Cowboys in '07... never thrown a pass in the NFL... totally awesome. Huge upgrade over Andre Woodson. Things are going to start happening for us now.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Trust NATE on the food stuff.

That is your burger blog, rite Nate?

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 25, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

-Buffalo
-Oakland
-Carolina
-San Francisco
-Cleveland

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:14 AM

Come to think of it, Beantown cited PFT up here a few days ago saying that the 'Skins were going to trade JC to Carolina for Delhomme. Naturally, the Boston scrod sucker couldn't back it up with facts or even a link...

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 10:09 AM

That was the last word out of the Rogers camp before the season began...

I wouldn't waste the dough on a flat-screen for that scrub...he can have an ice-cream cone on his way out the door, though...

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 10:17 AM

Sounds like our Thanksgiving turkey.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 10:09 AM

That was the last word out of the Rogers camp before the season began...

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

What are the chances he would drop the ice cream cone on the floor before eating it??

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | November 25, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

jim, post of the day...they'd hand it to him, and it would be on the floor, and he's have that stupid look on his face...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

If we're going to bench Rogers then we need to see what we have in Barnes. Barnes needs to have some playing time and Zorn needs to STFU and just play him.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedskinJim1 | November 25, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Nice.

I floated another option that the FO could employ re: Rogers.

They can throw stacks of cash at him and tell him he can keep as many as he can catch.

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | November 25, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 25, 2009 10:10 AM

Last year Cleveland traded the #5 pick to the Jets for the Jets 1st and 2nd rounders -- picks #17 and #52 plus three players that Mangini liked from his Jets days.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

p1funk- it doesn't matter who wants him, it only matters that we get good value for him. When you trade 2 1st to get the guy, don't let him go for a 3rd rd pick. If he signs back, let him compete for the job.
This last week showed that when JC has guys that work hard every down we can compete with any team in the league.
But this is why we need a new sheriff(GM) in town. Everyone in the NFL knows that the current leadership will pay anything (pick & money) for what it wants. We need a new GM to change this perception or else Danny will continue to buy and be sold the snake oil.

Posted by: priceisright | November 25, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Oh, no, that wasn't my blog, Dik, but I do eat a lot of hamburgers.

I am serious about brining the turkey, though. That's a revelation after a life spent thinking turkey was supposed to be dry... which, to be honest, did provide a good excuse for applying obscene amounts of gravy...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 25, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Reporter: "Carlos, tell us what happened with that ice-cream cone."

Rogers: "What can I say? It was a double-move...can't stop it."

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I floated another option that the FO could employ re: Rogers.

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:26 AM

Wizards tried this with Arenas and he caught it all.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

When you trade 2 1st to get the guy, don't let him go for a 3rd rd pick

Who are you talking about?? We didn't trade 2 firsts for JC...

I mean, I know that certain posters up here don't want any type of accuracy in what gets posted, but I'm curious as to who you think we traded 2 firsts for.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I got a TON of them.....idiot

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Come on Bean, it's the holidays. Lighten up and spread good cheer. You don't have too call folks names if you disagree with them or vise versa.

Posted by: hessone | November 25, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: priceisright | November 25, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry. But you really think that the Dallas game shows we can "compete with any team in the league"?

Dallas played like crap, and we lost 7-6...

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Wizards tried this with Arenas and he caught it all.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather try out Arenas as our 2nd CB than bring back Los...

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Rogers: "What can I say? It was a double-move...can't stop it."

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:29 AM

You've got to wonder about the Wonderlic of a guy who's willing to tell every WR in the league -- repeatedly -- how he can be beat.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

We need to just win some games! The draft will be there and so will good OL picks, momentum is key to turning it around next year. I think someone in this blog pointed out the Bengals last year as an example

Posted by: rupertpupkin | November 25, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

That's it!

Today is Turkey recipie day! Bring it!!

I've got a couple methods... One I've actually made, the other just enjoyed.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 25, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

ls, no kidding, I mean thats just gotta be part of every teams game plan going forward right?? They'd be stupid not to audible to that whenever Rogers lines up opposite someone....

still wondering who we traded 2 firsts for??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

I'd rather try out Arenas as our 2nd CB than bring back Los...

Posted by: p1funk | November 25, 2009 10:34 AM

Yeah, bring back Sean Springs -- he plays more games than Arenas.

Posted by: League-Source | November 25, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

still wondering who we traded 2 firsts for??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

It was a 1st, 3rd, and 4th, and his point was we gave up a lot to draft him, and by trading him we'd get nowhere near that kind of value...let it go...

Posted by: mattylight | November 25, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I was watching Dan Patrick today, and while it would never happen due to the Groucho Marx rule, I would welcome (his guest) Jeff Fisher as Redskins head coach every day and twice on Sundays.

The Groucho Marx Rule comes from Groucho's comment 'I would never belong to any organization that would have someone like me as a member."

Here it means, no coach worth having would work for an organization like the Dan Snyder-led Redskins,.

Posted by: TheCork | November 25, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Bean- sorry i was a 1st, 3rd & a 4th.
I don't know what i was thinking when i wrote that.

Posted by: priceisright | November 25, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Cork, you just described my employment history!!

I would never bank at an institution that would hire me!! muaaa ha ha ah ha hah a aahah ch achem.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 25, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

still wondering who we traded 2 firsts for??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | November 25, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Bean running his mouth and wrong AGAIN.........

Posted by: rupertpupkin | November 25, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

p1funk- IMO, the dallas loss was more about play calling than the players (except the last drive, that was on the D). But as far as Dallas playing like crap, you got to give credit to our D up until the 4th quarter.
In the NFL any team can compete, how did KC beat Pittsburgh? How did the Bungles go from worst to first?

Posted by: priceisright | November 25, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

honking sound

Posted by: mattylight | November 25, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

So...

I've made a few turkeys. My most successful one was where I used like TWO STICKS of BUTTER under the skin and just basted the crap out of it. Not dry. Just awesmoe!

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 25, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

rupert, I asked the question of who we traded 2 firsts for...price is the one who suggested that we traded 2 firsts for JC....try and follow along...comprehend much??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 25, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

PriceRight,

You could still say the CowPatties TD drive (shudder) was about play calling: Defensive play calling.

Poor Sonny almost had a coronary complaining about the Prevent D.

You know about 'prevent' D, it 'prevents' you from 'winning'.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 25, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Chase Daniel vs. Bartel. What have we seen that makes Daniel better? You gotta be kidding. Tarleton State/Mizzou. Heisman finalist vs. whatever? C'mon, in the long, long, long list of stupid, asinine personnel decisions; signing, then cutting Daniel ranks among the top bonehead moves they've made. And I cannot accept that "he was too short." Again, I bring their attention to Theisman, Brees, Flutie, etc. just to name a few in the long line of successfull QBs "too short to play in this league." Cerrato (and Snyder) is an IDIOT!

Posted by: wydafish | November 25, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

wyda, there is a chance this kid could be something. There have been a few of these no name baseball type guys that have made it pretty big

Posted by: rupertpupkin | November 25, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Fish,

I'm not sure what you're saying there... You seem to not like the Daniel pick and the proceed to make an argument for short, Heisman candidate QB's.

hmm...

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 25, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

why... a new qb... seriously...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 25, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs.

And it finally dawned on me why the Riggo 'dark heart' comment didn't work for me. There is no way I can square Riggo's opinion with Gibbs' presence in Ashburn.

Now maybe the chickens have come home to roost, and Dan will have trouble getting the next set of replacements. But I doubt it. There are only 32 of these jobs in the world (30 if you eliminate Detroit and Oakland).

Posted by: daggar | November 25, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

What do Steve Spagnulo, Jim Schwartz, and Ron Meeks all have in common? They were all willing to stay in stable, better run organizations and wait for another chance than to be a puppet head coach for the Redskins. Snyder's passing over of Gregg Williams sent more than a bad signal inside of Redskins Park. It was a message to any interested candidates that Snyder doesn't value loyalty.

The situation regarding the pending departure of Zorn is similar and consistent with the way Snyder has managed the franchise. Undercut the head coach, strip him of authority, and then hope he quits. I'll at least give Zorn credit for having the backbone to stay on through the season so he at least gets paid for next season.

Good luck with next coaching search. If Vinny is still employed in an capacity, there is no chance that a legit coaching candidate comes here. Shanahan will want full power and that will mean either a demotion or firng of Vinny...Snyder needs to sell the team to someone else and soon.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 25, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I am glad to see some others saying exactly what I have been commenting about since the Skins cut Chase Daniel, they never should have cut him. It was a big mistake by the Skins. So now the Skins have cut another QB they just signed not too long ago and signed another one. It's like musical chairs with the QB situation and we'll never get anywhere with this ongoing QB situation. HAIL!!

Posted by: ladyredskins | November 25, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to go on the record as saying, unless he completely falls apart in the next six weeks, the Redskins should keep Campbell for next year and focus on the line. He's ranked 16th right now and has been slowly going up. His rating has been going up each year. And this is despite a broken o-line and a few lackluster receivers the past year or two (not to mention his good receivers dropping easy passes).

Whatever they would have to give up to trade Campbell (like the two picks they were going to give up to get crappy Cutler ... he and Sanchez ranked lower than Campbell), would be better put toward the line -- both for Campbell and any other future QB here.

As we saw in Denver, the less "West Coast" this offense tries to be, and the more smash-mouth it is, the better Campbell (and most of the team) is suited. So, why try to build a team around an offense instead of building a better offense around the team? Heck, I'd take a killer young punishing RB instead of a new QB any day.

Posted by: Andrew53 | November 25, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

sovine08- So Carr is better than JC? JC might not be Farve but he's not Shuler.
Posted by: priceisright
_____
Yeah Carr is better than Campbell.. there's a reason he was the first pick in the draft but he ended up on an expansion team, it's time to give him another chance. Now does that mean he is good enough to get the Redskins in the playoffs.. I don't know. What I do know is Campbell can't do it. And yeah Campbell is not Schuler.. but my point was Schuler was so bad they got rid of him fast. Campbell is worse because he is just good enough to have some decent numbers but not good enough to win. So he's bringing the Skins down year after year.. Most of us in 2007 knew Campbell was a bust but the powers that be decided to give him another chance, they brought in Zorn for just that.. make Campbell a good QB. That cost us 2 SEASONS!!! Now it's way past time to move on. And yes we know Campbell's problems.. he can't WIN!!! Get rid of him...

Posted by: sovine08 | November 25, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse