Redskins ready despite unexpected day off

The Redskins earlier in the week were aware practice might be canceled Saturday because of the snowstorm and that they wouldn't have the extra day in which to prepare for Monday night's game against the New York Giants at FedEx Field.

Although the Redskins prefer to have as much practice time as possible, "at this time of the year, guys pretty much know all the things we're trying to do out there," quarterback Jason Campbell said Friday. "It's not like there's so much new stuff that missing a day [of practice] should be a problem."

The Redskins have scored at least 30 points in their last two games - the first time they have accomplished the feat under Coach Jim Zorn. In those games, Campbell produced passer ratings of 111.9 and 106.5 - the first time in his career he has had ratings of at least 106 in consecutive games.

"It's not just me. A lot of guys around me are making plays and we're doing it together," Campbell said. "I think that's one of the good things that's happened out of everything we've been through this year.

"Everyone is sticking together and it's not about one individual guy. We're out there as a team every day. Everyone is focused on just playing as hard as we can and trying to finish the season strong. I think that says a lot about us."

By Jason Reid  |  December 20, 2009; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins start to dig out ahead of Monday night game
Next: Special Teams Report: Planning for Hixon, Thomas

Comments

So where is Vinny going to be watching the game Monday night? Probably not in these places:

1. The owner's box
2. LaVar's club
3. Bruce Allen's video room
4. Mike Florio's basement
5. Jason LaCanfora's bedroom
6. Brownwood's trailer

Posted by: League-Source | December 20, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

7. At the gates of Six Flags Largo.

(They changed the locks on him overnight)

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 20, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Snyder will have a press conference to discuss it later.

"Vinny is a a good friend. If I had still been chairman, he would have not been locked out. But, my focus is the Washington Redskins and the fans. We have the best fans in the NFL. I feel the fans. Save for the Fire Snyder part, but I gave the fans the next best thing."

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 20, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

4th -- They changed the locks on Snyder, too. Dude's out in the cold @ Six Flags. Only flag Snyder has left in the red flag that Zorn carries on Sundays.

Posted by: League-Source | December 20, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

I keep reading on here what a "nice guy" Zorn is, blah blah blah. My Dad is nice but I sure don't want him coaching my beloved Redskins. Hell, I have coached youth football for 19 years and I am nice. We may not like the way things are getting done, but they ARE starting to get done.

Maybe just maybe, the business of football is in full motion. You HAVE to interview people for the job, so that when you are ready to replace the person in that position, your company can continue to run.

It's a shame, because Zorn does seem nice, but, his play calling, discipline on the field, and team management skills have not been there.

Hail.

Posted by: ChrisWoody | December 20, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Although, the Rooney rule is a joke, the NFL had to do something. As an owner, you already know who you want to hire, no matter what color you are.

I would tweek the Rooney rule if you're gonna keep it. I would say, you must interview a candidate outside of the organization.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 20, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

My Dad is nice but I sure don't want him coaching my beloved Redskins.

Posted by: ChrisWoody | December 20, 2009 9:35 AM

Definitely don't want a Woody for the coach.

Posted by: League-Source | December 20, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I agree RR...but the problem would then be that no minority canidate outside the organization would want to interview since it would be a shame interview anyway.

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 20, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

7. At the gates of Six Flags Largo.

(They changed the locks on him overnight)

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 20, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Golf clap. Classic.

Can we talk a little about Quneton Ganther? He singlehandedly got me into my fantasy league's semifinals. Need him to show up tomorrow. I'm really hoping that Bruce Allen works quickly on a 2-3 yr extension for this guy. Right now he could be had very cheaply- probably 3 yrs/$3-4 million. But if he blows up the final 3 weeks and the CBA is not renewed, the price will go up considerably.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | December 20, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 20, 2009 9:41 AM

The argument for these interviews was that maybe you don't get the job, but you do get experience interviewing -- shame, sham, or otherwise. So, no shame in being interviewed and not getting the job.

Posted by: League-Source | December 20, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I do not feel sorry for Zorn or see him as a martyr.

His use of personnel was poor. Continuing to use ARE as punt returner, and the essential "red shirting" of kelly/thomas/davis should not go unnoticed.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 20, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

LMG,

I don't know it for a fact, but I would be certain that the Redskins have at least an option for three years, if not a firm contract for three years, at the league minimum. Why would you sign a guy off the street without insisting on that?

Posted by: League-Source | December 20, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

In fairness though, it's hard to give that new young "black guy" a chance if you've got Homlgren, Billick, Cowher, Shanahan and Gruden sittin' out there.

It's the college ranks that sinful.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 20, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rickyroge | December 20, 2009 9:53 AM

I'm not buying it. These guys were all there last year and new young black guys were hired ahead of them. In the case of Gruden, he was fired to hire a new young black guy.

What's most troubling about retread Super Bowl-winning coaches was in this Don Banks column: none of them has ever won a Super Bowl with a second team. Eleven have been lured back or to new teams and not one of the eleven has repeated his success.

Posted by: League-Source | December 20, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

College is different....

Too many qaulified people out there for so little amount of opportunities. It's the booste's fault...

Sham...not shame....thanks...

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 20, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I do not feel sorry for Zorn or see him as a martyr.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 20, 2009 9:47 AM

Agreed. He had a fair shot, and he still hasn't even won as many games as Spurrier did. Time to move on.

Posted by: League-Source | December 20, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I agree League, but if you're an owner, it's hard to pass up a proven winner.

To be honest, Jerry Gray may be the new Sherm Lewis...

the guy who shoulda been a Head Coach.

Posted by: rickyroge | December 20, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I agree about the boosters. It may be a cold day in hell you see a black coach at Alabama, Tennessee, or Florida.

I was shocked that Sylvester Croom was at Mississippi State...and don't get be started on the "great" Notre Dame with the way they did Ty Willingham

Posted by: rickyroge | December 20, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Notre Dame is a great example....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 20, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Definitely don't want a Woody for the coach.

Posted by: League-Source

Agree. Except maybe Dick Button for skating.

Posted by: ElYeah | December 20, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse