Redskins turn to Davis with Cooley out

The Redskins made it official: they expect tight end Chris Cooley to be sidelined for the remainder of the season because of a broken bone in his right ankle.

During his news conference today at Redskins Park, Coach Jim Zorn announced Cooley would be assigned to the season-ending injured-reserve list because of the injury that occurred in Monday night's 27-17 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles at FedEx Field.

"He is looking at getting this final evaluation from another doctor to see if, in fact, he needs surgery, but the minimums are six to eight weeks he's gonna be out," Zorn said. "I'm gonna probably end up putting him on injured reserve. ... I don't think I can hold the roster spot open, so we'll be looking for another tight end to come in and help us out."

With Cooley out for the Redskins' final nine games, second-year tight end Fred Davis is expected to join the first team. Davis was prone to giggling in meetings as a rookie, league sources said, and has failed to inspire confidence or consistently demonstrate a command of the playbook.

After Cooley was injured on the first play of the second quarter, Davis emerged as a major factor in the passing game and finished with eight receptions for 78 yards. He also teamed with quarterback Jason Campbell on a 1-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter - Davis's first career touchdown.

"It's just devastating," Zorn said of losing Cooley. "He's such a good player for us all over the field. He's good for our football team. ... The loss of him on the field, and his fight, much like the other really good players we have on our team, he brings the fight to the field. It's gonna be a big loss for us.

"I thought Fred Davis just did a wonderful job yesterday, picking up some of the slack. Now, he's going to have to really come to play. Todd Yoder's gonna really have to be involved now."

By Jason Reid  |  October 27, 2009; 1:20 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis preaches unity, professionalism
Next: Heyer's bye-week plan? Getting healthy

Comments

Good thing we drafted Fred Davis instead of an offensive lineman. Oh wait.

Posted by: Predator48 | October 27, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Chase is on NO's active roster...we would need to trade for him.

Posted by: Curzon417 | October 27, 2009 1:05 PM

Hmmm. So he is. That's a new and recent development of which I wasn't aware. Last I read was about 8 or 9 days ago, when he was release from the NO p-squad.

Okay, then the Skins should continue to suck donkey with Campbell, I guess.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 27, 2009 1:24 PM

Posted by: freakzilla | October 27, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Furhst to say . . . too bad. And . . . we suck!

Posted by: sjw1 | October 27, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

And let Mike Sellars play more tight end.

Give Cooley's roster spot to Marko Mitchell.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

so, somehow Davis didn't inspire confidence and giggled, but when Cooley went down, Davis lead the team in catches/yards....what does that say about those whom had no confidence in him....seems like that was somewhat misplaced, and people were again looking for perfection....this coaching staff just absolutely sucks....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I almost wish Moss would pull a hammy or something so the team could find out more about all these young WRs on the roster.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 27, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

F Dallas.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | October 27, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

While he played well last night, someone still needs to remind Fred Davis that he needs to stop jumping towards the 1st down marker when he's 5 yards away. I appreciate the effort but all that leads to is fumbles as we seen in the past.

Posted by: forever8-8 | October 27, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

______________

Davis looks like he'll be a nice threat in the passing game. Only thing he could be critiqued on so far is his blocking and also ball protection (witnessed in previous games).

Posted by: dfbovey | October 27, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

The more I see, the more I know that Jim Zorn is the problem. And if Jim Zorn is the problem the guy that hired him is a bigger problem. Damn we are stuck

Posted by: wardt30 | October 27, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I see someone mentioned Chase Daniels. I was watching the Saints/Dolphins on Sunday and saw him suited up and thought to myself, "how happy is he that the skins cut him in the preseason." Yeah he might have a had a chance to play here but he'd be running for his life and instead he gets to learn from a real QB in DB.

Posted by: forever8-8 | October 27, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I say we are 2-5 so let the young guns play. I say start Devin and put Santana in the slot. and start Malcom Kelly at the other wide receiver and put ARE in the first row on the 50 yard line where the fans are.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 27, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts exactly watching the game last night. Zorn and others said repeatedly about him not knowing the plays... but yet somehow he had an excellent game in his first real opportunity??? Something doesnt add up. Except for the jumping... stay on the ground big guy! Use your body weight and friction with your feet on the ground to get the extra yards!

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 27, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Anybody see jim zorn try and take the credit for the touchdown call last night?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | October 27, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

OK question:

Supposing we don't draft a QB in 2010. BTW, I would only draft Claussen, maybe Lockler (sp?) ...Bradford scares the crap out of me, Tebow sucks and McCoy has regressed this year, so it looks like the QB position is a bit thin this draft anyway. Who can we bring in as a short-term fix until we do draft a franchise QB? The only vets I can think of who might be available in the offseason that I would gamble on for a couple of seasons are McNabb and Jon Kitna...can anyone think of anybody I am forgetting?

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Davis was ranked as a top blocker at his position in college. He has the physicality, the tools to block like a Donny Warren. He just needs the motivation and the reps. At least at his point it looks like he may have both.

Posted by: periculum | October 27, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

yeh - his 'boy wonder' somersault thing is TIRED! he ALWAYS does that.

Sleepy: You can't hurdle everyone in the NFL. Sorry.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 27, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Teams that would LOVE Campbell!

1. Carolina
2. Buccaneers
3. Rams
4. Cleveland
5. Oakland
6. Buffalo
7. San Fran
8. Jacksonville
9. Tennessee
10. Kansas City

Posted by: jtrob_1 | October 27, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

va, it just doesn't make sense, I mean, either he doesn't know the plays, or he does...and judging by last night, he knows the plays...makes me think we've got more talent that we're not utilizing, MM, Rhino, MK....suddenly the flanker screen to DT is a viable play...?? weird, what is different now than the past 20 games??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Fred Davis is A1 example of what is wrong with the Redskins. Did anyone see this kid last night? Great catches but my grandmother blocks better than this kid. Where is the coaching? I like Zorn but it seems to me that if his specialty is offense that no one who we needed to step up on that side of the bll has gotten better. Campbell is worse. I thought Zorn was a QB whisperer? The kid does not look downfield, he has happy feet and does not seem to improve. Yet, he is smart, has an arm and has guts. So why has he not gotten better? Why was Sherm Lewis able to get Devin Thomas the ball when Zorn could not? The coach must go! Don't get me wrong Cerrato would be my first fire but Zorn would be out the door just as fast.

Posted by: zman1 | October 27, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

can anyone think of anybody I am forgetting?

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I cant think of who you are forgetting, but I can think of you as an idiot.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 27, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Clausen sucks! How many games does it take for you guys to realize this??? What has he done w/o #23? Dude has stick 'um on his hands.

Locker and Bradford or legit.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Give Cooley's roster spot to Marko Mitchell.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | October 27, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dfbovey

The only thing that prevented this from being a total assinine statement was the almost.

Posted by: dcwun | October 27, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

2. Buccaneers - 2009 2nd round pick Josh Johnson

4. Cleveland Derek Anderson?

7. San Fran - Alex Smith

8. Jacksonville David Garrard

9. Tennessee - Spend a #3 overall on VY

10. Kansas City - Spent a 2nd on Cassell

not sure I agree with you on a lot of this....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zman1 | October 27, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

You're the A1 example of "dumb fan"

Davis is the lone bright spot on offense. since you obviously missed that, I feel compelled to point out the obvious.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 27, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

"Great catches but my grandmother blocks better than this kid (Fred Davis)."

So maybe, like Jason Witten, he's better suited running routes underneath than blocking?

A 260 pound plus guy with speed who can catch is an asset on most teams.

But for the redskins, if he can't block, well, leave him on the bench.

No wonder we suck.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I cant think of who you are forgetting, but I can think of you as an idiot.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 27, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Wow -- appreciate the love. Guessing there was something in there you don't agree with. So how about elaborating?

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Teams that can SJKing HAVE Campbell!

1. Carolina
2. Buccaneers
3. Rams
4. Cleveland
5. Oakland
6. Buffalo
7. San Fran
8. Jacksonville
9. Tennessee
10. Kansas City

Good riddance.

Posted by: DikShuttle | October 27, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I dislike Clausen. Still haven't gotten over the "look at my rings" presser he held to announce he was going to Notre Dame.

Locker scares me since he's averaging just about 50% completions in his career. That's wayyyy too low for a top tier QB.

Bradford is the only QB I would take with the first draft pick this year. If he's not there, then either draft OT or trade down and draft OT.

Posted by: jesuisunpizza | October 27, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | October 27, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

_______________________

I never saw a report that said he was an elite blocker. I remember scratching my head at the thought of drafting another TE who basically duplicated Cooley's strengths and weaknesses. Strong receiver, not so great blocker. Fred Davis has a long way to go before he's an even average blocker, let alone in Don Warren's league.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 27, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Teams that would LOVE Campbell!

1. Carolina - No. They broke him down. Why would they want him?
2. Buccaneers - No. They have their own 1st round project
3. Rams - No. Too many sacks.
4. Cleveland - I'll give you this
5. Oakland - 100% Yes. And he'd prob make the Pro Bowl.
6. Buffalo - No
7. San Fran - No
8. Jacksonville - No
9. Tennessee - No.
10. Kansas City - No

Posted by: jtrob_1 | October 27, 2009 1:45 PM

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Teams that would LOVE Campbell!

1. Carolina
2. Buccaneers
3. Rams
4. Cleveland
5. Oakland
6. Buffalo
7. San Fran
8. Jacksonville
9. Tennessee
10. Kansas City

Posted by: jtrob

Great! Then trade his lame azz to any of those teams for a pick and or a player.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | October 27, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I think WR-TE-WR is actually going to turn out to be something good, once we get them the ball.

Posted by: Rypien11 | October 27, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Locker and Bradford or legit.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I have watched every ND game -- I think Clausen is a pretty good QB. Throws a great deep ball (better than our boy JC), accurate, played very well in the 2nd half against USC...and don't get me wrong I like Bradford, but the shoulder thing worries me alot -- don't want to invest a ton in him to see him get injured again...

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Teams that would LOVE Campbell!

1. Carolina
2. Buccaneers
3. Rams
4. Cleveland
5. Oakland
6. Buffalo
7. San Fran
8. Jacksonville
9. Tennessee
10. Kansas City

Posted by: jtrob_1 | October 27, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse
_______________________________________

Why? so he could throw behind their receivers also... come on, Jason is a backup QB, end of story... wish people would stop making excuses for this guy... geeeesh!

Posted by: tony325 | October 27, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I hear people talk about starting Kelly and Thomas. Don't believe the hype. Here is the problem with Malcolm Kelly . . . he cannot separate from the defender. I love the kid. Nice kid with a strong work ethic. But this is the NFL. There is a reason they measure your 40 yrd dash and agility times at the combine. In this league you have to be able to create space. The corners and SS are too good. Kelly is big but he just can't create enough separation. TO and Rice were not 40 yard fast but they had that quick explosion that allowed for separation. Kelly just does not have it. In college the height gave him an advantage. In the NFL it only does if he has the speed to back it up. Another bad pick!!!

Posted by: zman1 | October 27, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Teams that would LOVE Campbell!

1. Carolina
2. Buccaneers
3. Rams
4. Cleveland
5. Oakland
6. Buffalo
7. San Fran
8. Jacksonville
9. Tennessee
10. Kansas City

Posted by: jtrob_1 | October 27, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

___________________

Hopefully one of them values him enough to trade a 3rd rounder.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 27, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

"#84 is already on the roster. He's just inactive. And he is not big enough to block DE's and LB's."

From what I see in most games, these guys aren't getting blocked even with Cooley healthy.

The point is, let's get some assessment of Mitchell in game time.

Davis and Thomas are looking better the more they play.

Mike Sellars, Davis, and Yoder can play tight end and block linebackers and whatnot.

Let's get an extended look at Mitchell.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I cant think of who you are forgetting, but I can think of you as an idiot.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 27, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but this team needs to do a few things before they even THINK of drafting any players much less a 1st round QB. First of all would be:

FIRE CERRATO!

Then:

HIRE A REAL GM!

and somewhere in there:

LET GO OF ZORNS NUTS!

They have to be sore after these repeated Judo chops at 'em.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 27, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe he didn't know the plays last year, Greg, but with an extra year under his belt, he was able to polish up. And maybe he wasn't getting on the field this year because we have (had) a pro-bowl TE already starting. Which underscores the idiocracy of the draft pick to begin with. But I guess it becomes somewhat validated now that, with the team at 2-5, he gets his opportunity due to a season ending injury to Cooley.

Great use of a second round selection, I must say. Vinny Cerrato is an effin genius.

Posted by: psps23 | October 27, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

So I understand we lost, and I fully expected we would. I was actually very encouraged by last nights performance.....seriously. We couldn't block anybody, but we already knew we couldn't do that, Portis was ineffective again, but we already knew that. Our defense is good not great, but pretty darn good, we already knew that, Landry is a sub-par free safety and turned the Jackson reverse from a 15 yard first down to a TD by taking an awful angle, but we already knew that, Randal El is officially the worst punt returner in the league, but we already knew that, Campbell is a bad QB, but we already knew that, Jim Zorn made another bad decision to go for it on 4th and goal when you're down 3 scores and needed those points then Rabach is not very good as a center and promptly snapped a shotgun play into his own butt, but we already knew that.

What we didn't know is that Fred Davis can be a playmaker in this league, we scored twice in the red zone using our young players, Devin Thomas has a pulse and looked pretty good, and we are capable of running bootlegs and moving the pocket. I thought with being here for 3 weeks, and with what he has to work with for an oline and a QB, Sherm Lewis' playcalling was pretty darn good, we put up 17 points and it should have 3 more than that if Zorn makes the right call.

We're not a good football team, and we're not going to be this year, but look what happens when you finally give the young guys on offense some opportunities. Now its time to put DT11 on punt returns and make Marko active, Randal is and should be done on this team. Rebuild the Oline, find a RB (not hard in the NFL) and find a QB and you have a pretty good football team quickly. I'm encouraged, honestly. It sounded like Gruden wants the job to me also, he was often praising us despite looking terrible saying "this team is very close to being a good football team, the lack of discipline is hurting them, penalties and little fundamental mistakes, but they are close"....I think he wants the job. Give me Allen as GM, Gruden as coach, and Snyder in charge of 6 flags and lets go!

Posted by: zjfr2 | October 27, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

ryp, hasn't that kind of been the issue since drafting them?? I mean wouldn't you say that they're largely under-utilized??So when it turns out that we need them, turns out they just might know how to play....lots of wasted time...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I agree that it looks like Campbell is a backup in this league. Maybe he could have been more in the right system, but we'll never know. I think people focust too much on him, though. I think he's less of a problem than our terrible offensive line and mediocre receivers.

Posted by: mhaslup1 | October 27, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Davis will probably never be a blocker like Don Warren, but he may be like Clint Didier, a very solid, even clutch receiving TE with less-than-average blocking skills.

Of course the difference is Didier was on great teams that didn't need him to help block so much; Davis is on a team that has a sieve for an O-line.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 27, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

MAtty - I've only seen him play well in those crunch times you mentioned late in the 4th QTR.

My boy Mallet is doing his thing.

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 27, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if Brian Kozloski is in shape? Last I checked he was a free agent. Was a very good blocker and had a couple of TDs if I recall.

Posted by: RambleOn | October 27, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

"Here is the problem with Malcolm Kelly . . . he cannot separate from the defender."

How do you asses this in the NFL when all the defensive backs are quick and fast?

There aren't too many wide receivers who get separation from what I see.

The question is, does he have the 'balls' and hand strenght to snatch a ball out of the air in tight coverage: that's the mark of an NFL receiver.

But if you quarterback doesn't have the accuracy to fit the ball into tight spaces, well, you'll never get the answer to this question.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 27, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

How about a washed up journey man QB with good mobility for next season while we rebuild our oline .....Mike Vick

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | October 27, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

psp, time to move on...nothing can be done at this point...best thing to do is to maximize usage of the talent of the picks that were made....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

BT Greg,

Another thing is JC's comments that FD86 came to him in the huddle and said you can trust me J, just throw me the ball. He said this and delivered too... impressive from a guy who "didnt know the plays" and "giggles in meetings".

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 27, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zman1 | October 27, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Teams that would LOVE Campbell!

1. Carolina
2. Buccaneers
3. Rams
4. Cleveland
5. Oakland
6. Buffalo
7. San Fran
8. Jacksonville
9. Tennessee
10. Kansas City

------------------------------------

Look at the QB stats of all the folks teams involved. He campares favorably of flat out is better than all of them.

Posted by: jtrob_1 | October 27, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | October 27, 2009 2:01 PM |
--------------------------

I'm down with that, except my first choice would be Garcia.

Hell, sign them both (Garcia and Vick) for a year, and get Campbell and Collins out of here.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 27, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 27, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | October 27, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Garcia is going to be 40.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | October 27, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Would have been kinda nice to see a two tight end set using Cooley and Davis. Think the combo of Cooley and Davis could be at least as good as Bennett and Witten for Dallas.

Sucks that it took a season ending injury to Cooley for us to find out that Fred Davis can make plays in this league.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 27, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Garcia likes to win he will get run out of here!

Posted by: jtrob_1 | October 27, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think I can hold the roster spot open, so we'll be looking for another tight end to come in and help us out."

While you hate to see anyone injured, this isn't necesssarily all bad news -- especially when the time is already long overdue to tear this so called team up and start over.

The only real shame here is that only the "good guys" (Samuels, Cooley) seem to be going down at the moment -- that's the price that some are willing to pay in going out and putting it on the line -- while so many others will prance on through giving half-azzed efforts.

For example, see CP26... JC17... ARE82... CR22... DH23... MS45... SH74... etc., ad nauseum, ad infinitum.

Not that any of this lot needs yet another excuse to shut it down.

Posted by: Vic1 | October 27, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I was up in section 417 and thought Mike williams looked okay, am i crazy to think he can stay after we draft okung in the 1st and a RT in the 2nd round? Heyer (aka shirley from whats happening) can watch from the couch next year.

Can sam huff please get off haynesworths back?

Hes the reason why andre carter looks all world. this season is an abomination but 92 is a beast.

Posted by: drewkinnear | October 27, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I hope people realize great QBs do not grow on trees in the NFL. To heck with where Campbell could be successful, there is no one out there for the Redskin to get any better than Campbell!

Clausen is another over hyped Notre Dame product playing second tier programs on national TV and looking average really.

If the Redskins pursue Tebow, I am officially off the bandwagon.

Campbell is not an elite QB but he would better on other teams. Oakland for sure would be better with him than the LSU guy. I'll concede Campbell is not an elite QB but do you all see how the guy never has a pocket? He's lost or never gained confidence as a QB. Between his lack of pocket presence and the fact his passes tend to be late, the future is not bright in DC.

Posted by: oknow1 | October 27, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Boycott all advertisers and sponsors of redskin games. and tell them why.

Posted by: californicationdude | October 27, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

can anyone think of anybody I am forgetting?

Posted by: mattylight | October 27, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I cant think of who you are forgetting, but I can think of you as an idiot.

Posted by: VaBeachBlitz | October 27, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse