Redskins will see familiar face of Dawkins again

For the first 13 years of his outstanding career with the Philadelphia Eagles, safety Brian Dawkins faced the Redskins twice every season.

Dawkins left the Eagles in the offseason and joined the Denver Broncos, with whom he returns to FedEx Field on Sunday to face Washington. Although he wears a different uniform these days, Dawkins figures it will be like old times for him, in a sense.

"I just know what to expect when I play these teams I have played them so long," he said. "I know this is going to be a ... every time that I have played the Redskins, it has been a physical battle. I come out of the game a lot sorer, if that is a word, because of those big bodies that they have.

"They pound [Clinton] Portis at you [and Ladell] Betts at you; take shots up top with these quick receivers they have. This has just been something that has been bred in me to anticipate certain things when I play the Redskins."

After a 6-0 start, the Broncos (6-2) have lost consecutive games and are in a battle with the San Diego Charges (5-3) in the AFC West. Denver hopes to get back on the right track against Washington (2-6), which has lost four in a row.

"One of the things that I kind of live by, my biggest sermon, can be the way that I approach things," Dawkins said. "Not so much by what I say, but what I do. If I'm walking around panicking, pouting, then that is what I'm going to preach to others. If I'm working [and] I'm diligent in my study in the classroom, if you will, and if I'm busting my hump in practice, then that is the sermon that I'm also going to preach. It's not so much what needs to be said. ...We know what we need to do. It's just about doing it now."

Portis has been ruled out of Sunday's game because of a concussion he suffered last week in a 31-17 loss to the Atlanta Falcons at the Georgia Dome. Portis has accomplished a lot with the Redskins, Dawkins said.

"He has been a huge, huge weapon, to say the least, for that team over the years," Dawkins said. "You know that you have to be prepared to stop this cat for four quarters before stepping in there and sticking your nose in and bringing something with you when you do, because he does.

"Even in pass protection, he's one of the [best] if [not] the best chip blocker there is on the ends. He's trying to do damage. If you blitz, you know you better have your chin strap buckled up [and] your mouthpiece in, because he is going to try to take your head off. That is the type of mentality he's brought to that offense."

Fearless forecast ... of the weather variety

The Capital Weather Gang figures that Sunday is going to be a pret-tay, pret-tay good day to go to a football game.

By Jason Reid  |  November 14, 2009; 9:05 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Punter Smith might return Sunday against Broncos
Next: Alexander sees special-teams openings vs. Denver

Comments

Dawkins:

"every time that I have played the Redskins, it has been a physical battle. I come out of the game a lot sorer, if that is a word, because of those big bodies that they have."

This is a guy who hasn't been looking at films of this year's Redskins.

Stop living in the past. That was then. This is now. Only risk from the Redskins is a late hit out of bounds from Laron Landry.

Posted by: League-Source | November 14, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I second that notion.

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | November 14, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Dawkins hit the nail on the head in these quotes. I hope the redskins coaches and players get a chance to see these quotes, and really embrace them. That is Redskins football. That's how their games need to be played, from the play calling to the execution of the plays. We saw a glimpse of that type of play in the second quarter last week. Until they get a head coach that embraces a physical style of football, and correspondingly the players who embrace that style, it really isn't the Redskins football as I know it.

Posted by: TWISI | November 14, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if it's the inner conspiracy theorist in me coming out, but I'm mystified by the explanation that they haven't fired Zorn because they don't want to pay him his money.
But this is like a $1 billion boat, and old cap'n Zorn is drunk at the wheel. Unless you think you can trap him into violating the contract, don't you just throw the wad of money at him (yeah, it's not pennies, but it's not Archuleta-type money!) and ditch him in the first available port?

Posted by: daggar | November 14, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

And Mayor, right after you talk to Lorenzo, can you tell us what Levi Jones' contract details are? At least the length, if nothing else?
A lot of us Up Here are rebuilding the o-line, and need to know if he's part of the long-term mix.

Posted by: daggar | November 14, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

This is what makes CP, well CP. Yet we seem to give everyone else a free pass when they play through injuries. No one plays harder on the offensive side of the ball.

To suggest that Betts is even remotely better, even though CP he has lost a small step, is crazy.

Posted by: dcwun | November 14, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

daggar Levi Jones signed a one year vet minimum deal. If he's going to be with the team next year, I'd assume that they would have to give a mid-level vet deal, loaded with incentives for playing, performance etc.

Skins hope Jones shall be Levi of '05

Thrust into starting job, Redskins' left tackle Jones welcomes challenge

Date published: 11/13/2009

BY RICH CAMPBELL

ASHBURN

--The last two weeks of July could have been a total bummer for Levi Jones, but he didn't view it that way.
For the first time in seven years, a new NFL season began without him. All 32 teams reported to training camp, and their offensive lines began to jell for the upcoming campaign. Jones, meanwhile, trained on his own near his home in Arizona, away from the action and the spotlight.

And he was OK with that. He was waiting for a specific fit, a certain combination of a contract and a chance for playing time. When none materialized, he accepted it and waited.

And then the Washington Redskins called. Starting left tackle Chris Samuels was out for the season with a neck injury. Their line was decimated.

It was, as Jones put it, "a golden opportunity." He signed a one-year, veteran-minimum deal on Oct. 20.

Posted by: TWISI | November 14, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

aha, thanks for the link.
Apparently, Rich Campbell is monitoring Hamster Nation in a way that the Mayor could not.

Posted by: daggar | November 14, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | November 14, 2009 10:22 AM

Have you seen this "explanation" put forward by any credible source. With a thousand better reasons not to fire him, you have to be a RI Nut Job like [supply your favorite here] to dwell on this one.

Maybe they haven't fired him because they can't find anyone better who wants the job on an interim basis? Or because they want to wait to the end of the season when there will be many more people available? Or because the last thing the team needs is more discontinuity in the middle of the season? Or because firing the coach won't make one difference in the season record given the roster?

No, it has to be the money.

Posted by: League-Source | November 14, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

In the words of the "Great Forrest Gump"...."stupid is what stupid does"....it's Zorn's fault, the skins refuse to play some rookies on a regular basis in their first year. They wait until their 2nd year to give them a shot and then wonder why they are struggling. Most teams will play their rookies and reap the benefits during their 2nd year. But not the stupid a$$ skins.

Posted by: kingpenn1 | November 13, 2009 11:55 PM

I just had to repost this. It is a very good posting.

Kingpenn1, I also stole this and put it on the Wizards blog because it is appropriate for them as well.

I changed your a$$skins to Redskins there though. We don't roll that tough over there.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 14, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 14, 2009 12:05 PM

Yeah, and neither do the Wizards. Every time I start thinking that Mr. Snyder should hire a professional manager, let him make all the decisions, and stick with him, the Wizards come to mind. What a waste.

Posted by: League-Source | November 14, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

No, it has to be the money.

Posted by: League-Source | November 14, 2009 11:38 AM |

They haven't fired him because it would be too disruptive. Normally when you fire a HC either the OC or the DC takes over. But Z was practically the whole O - the OC, the QB coach, the play caller. Nobody really knows the O but him. They brought in Lewis to to relieve him of that part of the O that could be switched off but that is as far as they could go. Firing him would save $1-$2 M, petty cash to a team like the Skins. If it were the Bills it might be a different story.

Posted by: TubularBells | November 14, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I meant "cost $1-$2 M", not "save $1-$2 M"

Posted by: TubularBells | November 14, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Dawkins will have trouble covering Fred Davis down the deep middle if the skins choose to attack there.

Posted by: coparker5 | November 14, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Fred Davis can give Dawkins trouble if the skins try to attack there.

Posted by: coparker5 | November 14, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

sh1tty30 needs to watch old man Dawkins play the game, with some real intensity. LL officially is a BUST, collecting paychecks pretending to be a football player. Should of known after his brother got hurt, LL wanted him to walk away from the game. It appears his brother has picked up where he left off and fruitcake lil bro walked away from the game by his atrocious play on the field. I'd be surprise if he's still in the league in 2 years... flake!

Posted by: bhoang888 | November 14, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Fred Davis can give Dawkins trouble if the skins try to attack there.

Posted by: coparker5

would be nice if Davis created trouble for the other team, for a change.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 14, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse