Redskins will use Alexander at outside LB in 3-4 scheme

In another sign the Redskins plan to shift to a 3-4 defense, versatile defensive lineman Lorenzo Alexander will add outside linebacker to his duties next season, two people familiar with the situation said during the scouting combine at Indianapolis.

Although Coach Mike Shanahan has been noncommittal about his plans for the team, including the defensive scheme he plans to run, several league sources said the Redskins are laying the groundwork for the shift from a base 4-3 front to a base 3-4. Some within the organization have privately raised concerns about Shanahan's plan, citing apparent personnel problems to making such a switch.

Adding Alexander to the linebacker corps, even on a part-time basis, is among many moves that could help in the transition process. Alexander played a key role on offense, defense and special teams during the Redskins' late-season run to a playoff berth in 2007. In 2008, he was an effective pass-rush specialist as a defensive tackle. And with his role expanded on defense last season, Alexander was credited with 23 tackles, including 18 unassisted, two sacks and a forced fumble.

Alexander is among the team's restricted free agents. The Redskins hope to reach an agreement on a multiyear extension with Alexander, sources said at the combine.

By Jason Reid  |  February 28, 2010; 6:06 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins make an offer to Daniels
Next: Haynesworth is the key in Redskins' use of 3-4 defense

Comments

Posted by: tramellcanady | February 28, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

In a related note, ARE will be converting from WR to RT. All our parts are interchangeable.

Posted by: daggar | February 28, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

As long as ARE isn't returning punts

Posted by: Dorf | February 28, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

As long as ARE isn't returning punts

Posted by: Dorf | February 28, 2010 6:28 PM

Posted by: League-Source | February 28, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

"This would be asinine. He lacks coverage ability and speed. Why re-sign Daniels? My god...this is ominous. Hopefully, this is just a smokescreen to mask our true free agency/draft intentions.Posted by: tramellcanady"

Don't be too hard on the Shanahans. They're new to Washington. They don't realize such important decisions must be left up to some anonymous guy on a blog.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 28, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

"Mike Williams, Stephon Heyer will split the punt returns. I think it's a mistake to use two guys. They should pick one and let him have the job. I'm voicing my concerns privately.Posted by: League-Source"

You're not fooling us for a moment, Vinny.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 28, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap, this has disaster written all over it. What happened to fitting the scheme around our players? How big is Alexander? Has he ever played in space before?

Posted by: DCinSD | February 28, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | February 28, 2010; 6:06 PM ET

Duh. Can you imagine that? A team that has played 4-3 forever doesn't have personnel for a 3-4? How could that happen? Must be Vinny's fault.

Look, if you're going to change then you change. You don't spend two years gathering the parts and then change. If you try that approach you've got your 3-4 specialists playing in 4-3, and they're not being used properly. Instead, you change and see which guys can make the switch and which guys you have to replace. Then you replace them.

Posted by: League-Source | February 28, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Lorenzo proved he has a feel for scoping out the ball on special teams and delivering the package, thats what they're thinking..A little 3-4 here, a little 4-3 there...U. of Cinncy would use that Campbell-esque Pike on some plays and then that scramblin' Wildcat-like dude on others...3-4 against Philly, 4-3 against the more runnin' Giants and Cowboys..

Posted by: frak | February 28, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I like this... Alexander is exactly the type of unsung over achiever that never gets a chance to shine in D.C. Let's give the younger guys a chance to shine. They're not all going to be first rounders.

Posted by: crashinghero | February 28, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

That's scary bad. If they move Alexander, shift him to the o-line to be a pulling guard. Gregg Williams tried dropping Alexander into coverage before and Bryan Westbrooke ran right past him to catch a TD. This kind of news is scaring me.

Posted by: coparker5 | February 28, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Some within the organization have privately raised concerns....

What the?!?! I thought the organization was just entirely turned over. Who is the skeptical person? He or she sure has an in with the Washington Post.

Posted by: Hail_AZ | February 28, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Alexander is listed at 6-1, 275.

I think the Redskins will liberally use multiple defensive fronts, schemes, and personnel groupings.

Alexander is a football player. Lets not all cut our wrists over the thought that the new coaching staff will put players in position to make plays. Whats to say they can't bring him in on base 3-4 sets and then bring him off the edge? Or put him on the strong side with run stop/pass rush role with no coverage responsibility? And how do we know he can't cover a TE or a short flat zone on 3rd/long??

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 28, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Draft McLain at #4 and get a real linebacker

Posted by: coparker5 | February 28, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

I think Alexander can handle it. It's going to be like the Steelers D and if I'm not mistaken. The LBs don't do much man coverages.

On another note, the RB class looks to be solid all the way through the mid rounds. MrMoe will be proud with the performances of Hardesty and Tate.

Posted by: TWISI | February 28, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

"Some within the organization" would have to be football players, maybe they are concerned about their jobs.

Posted by: jmy999 | February 28, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Uh oh, sounds like Detroit might have their eye on Okung. Any other OL really worth the 4th overall pick? Campbell out of Maryland seems like he's got a ton of potential, but not worth drafting that high. Everybody else seems to have some serious warts...

Posted by: DCinSD | February 28, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

dumb, dumb...1st for letting him know you're thinking of using him in different positions BEFORE signing him. 2nd, for TRYING to find a position for him tht he's not suited for. He's a versatile player...that doesn't fit in anywhere; certaily not as a linebacker.

Posted by: scmonty1 | February 28, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Your final SHARKS Olympic update

Great tournament, great finals. Love hockey!!

Final SHARKS OLYMPIC TALLY

GOLD: 6 wins, 1 loss
Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Dan Boyle, Dany Heatley

SILVER: 5 wins, 1 loss
Joe Pavelski

Memories
Douglas Murray (Sweden 3-1)
Evgeni Nabakov (Russia 2-1)
Thomas Griess (Germany 0-3)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | February 28, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tramellcanady

I love all the whining going on.

People haven't seen Alexander in coverage -- I know this because he's never done it before. So given that fact, how would you know if he's capable of playing it or not? Why don't we just wait and see before we start b*tching and whining? I trust the trio of Allen/Shanahan/Haslett to make the correct decisions. You all are acting like it's still Cerrato/Zorn/Blache in Ashburn. GIVE IT A CHANCE!!!!

As far as re-signing Daniels, I don't have an issue with that either. With Daniels' size he's the exact kind of DE they need in 3-4 alignments.

Quit b*tching. Give it a chance.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 28, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

3- 4 front 7 and where players should fit.

DEs: Daniels, Alexander, Jarmon, Haynesworth,
NTs: Montgomery, Haynesworth
OLBs: Orakpo, Wilson, Carter, Gatewood
ILBs: Fletcher, Blades, Macintosh, Henson

Haynesworth could play either. Carter failed miserably in S.F. as a OLB and is way to light to play DE in a 3- 4.
Golston and Griffin are very expendable and don’t have a true home in a 3-4.

Need at least 3 players especially at NT, OLB, ILB or DE.
NT- Justin Bannan UFA, or draft Terrence Cody in 2nd
ILB - Karlos Dansby UFA, Larry Foote UFA, Paris Lennon UFA, Matt Wilhem UFA
OLB- Scott Fujita UFA, Tully Banta-Cain UFA
DE- Jarvis Green UFA, Dwan Edwards UFA

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 28, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I thought ya'll said once we got a GM, you'd be patient...

Some of ya'll are whining already...

Typical!

Posted by: rickyroge | February 28, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

2008- Blache called for DT Alexander to drop into a zone and he pulled his hamstring in coverage after getting abused by Westbrook. Although Westbrook has done it to better.

He's 6'1 297. He would need to shed 30-40 lbs to play OLB. It would be easier for him to gain 30 and play NT. I didn't know he was only 6-1, he would be too short to play DE in a 3-4.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 28, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Most discussion of a 'Skins conversion to a 3-4 seems to focus on their need for help at linebacker. But I believe the need for 5-technique DEs to be at least as crucial. Surely that's where Daniels (who's VERY strong) will be used. Indeed, isn't Alexander's body type more suited to play 3-4 DE than LB?

Posted by: DCtoDE | February 28, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 28, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

On Redskins.com they have Alexander listed as 275

Posted by: TWISI | February 28, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me that he would be more suited to be an ILB in the 3-4 - in the Levon Kirkland mold (If he's going to be a LB at all...) He can move for a big guy, but an edge speed rusher? Hmm...

Posted by: Goldenfried | February 28, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | February 28, 2010 9:06 PM

NFL.com has 297
wiki has 300
Redskin.com 275

Avg 290. Needs to drop 30+ lbs to play OLB.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 28, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins will use Alexander at outside LB in 3-4 scheme"

Whither Chris Wilson?

Posted by: MistaMoe | February 28, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Check out this post on "The Jason Campbell debate"

Posted by: b145579 | February 28, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Odd choice there. I thought Alexander was one of the most natural 3-4 players already on the roster -- as an end. I don't really see the sense in ever lining him up without his hand down. I know the guy is a good athlete, but OLB? Really?

Posted by: Brashnir | February 28, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Check out this post on "The Jason Campbell debate"

Posted by: b145579 | February 28, 2010 9:19 PM

I didn't read it the first couple of times you posted it. I finally did and I agree with Gibbs, Zorn, & the fact that any QB would be better behind a NFL caliber OL, even JC.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 28, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brashnir | February 28, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts about ORAKPO also.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I guess I just don't get it. You would think our front 7 was the weakest link on the team. Why don't they re-target all of the thinking and energy they are putting into doing an extreme makeover on our D scheme into rebuilding the O line? I'd feel alot better if the ratio of articles and posts were weighted towards those where the staff talks about how they are definitely going to use the draft, and WHERE POSSIBLE, as this will be a really screwy FA year, through FA, to build a reliable line which will give us a reliable running game and our QB some time to throw the ball. ITS THE O LINE STUPID

Posted by: kenboy1 | February 28, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Quit b*tching. Give it a chance.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 28, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse
I agree, Red. PDan is supposed to be the strongest guy on the team. And a real workout monster. I know a lot of guys here have been saying we need to get younger, but PDan is a keeper.

Posted by: frediefritz | February 28, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I wouldent mind trading Andre Carter for a pick N dis year's draft and try our best trading back to have mutilple pick N the first 3 rounds but dats goin to be hard because dis class is so deep N talent

For Free agents I would go Dansby, Sproles N i kno dis a lil risky but i would mind Peppers he could replace Andre Carter.. he wants to play for a 3-4 he dominated our depleted line last year..

Posted by: PardenMiSwage | February 28, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts about ORAKPO also.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2010 9:33 PM

Glar- Orakpo will be an absolute star as the rush OLB in a 3-4. I say 15-18 sacks. It's the NT, FS, ILB, & other DE not named haynie that we have to worry about.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 28, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Diesel44... I will be posting a new one tomorrow...

Posted by: b145579 | February 28, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

New coaches, new system. May as well remake the defense while building the offense. Great way to insure getting a great pick for q-back next draft.

I'm thinking they might be trying to trade ANDRE CARTER thus the offer to PHILLIP DANIELS as insurance with JARMON's injury and inexperience. That would certainly put ORAKPO on the d-line where he belongs IMHO.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Quit b*tching. Give it a chance.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 28, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | February 28, 2010 9:38 PM |

I'm on board with this line of thinking.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 28, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't know Diesel. It's his pass coverage that concerns me. A lot of what I'm reading about ORAKPO's use in backer coverage says he's wasted talent at OLB, but a phenom at DE.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: b145579 | February 28, 2010 9:40 PM

Is that your handy work? If so we could use a little more of b145579 on RI. If not still could still use some more people that think rationally.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 28, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Quit b*tching. Give it a chance.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 28, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | February 28, 2010 9:38 PM |

I'm on board with this line of thinking.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 28, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Fourth.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

looks like Antrel Rolle the FS from the cardinals is going to be a UFA. If they could pick him up and move Landry to SS that would be a good start

Posted by: BostonWarPath | February 28, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2010 9:48 PM

I would imagine Haslett would use him like Dallas uses Ware and Pitt uses Harrison. They can't cover their shadows but can certainly cause havoc rushing the passer. He would be wasted as a DE in a 3-4...lining up in the same spot every time, would be easily double teamed, and would be 1 yard away from a LT on every play.

You want big strong hog mollies tying up the LT and RT while Orakpo and Wilson get after the QB a la Harrison and Woodley.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 28, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 28, 2010 9:57 PM |

Exactly correct/ You just don't see Woodley dropping into coverage. He rushes the passer.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 28, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

I think the info released to the public is wrong. he would make a nice DE in the 3-4 scheme. a DT to OLB is absurd. the guy has shown he is a good athlete but damm!

the biggest question is THEY JUST SPENT $40 MILLION ON HAYNESWORTH! HOW DOES HAYNESWORTH FIT?

Posted by: oknow1 | February 28, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oknow1 | February 28, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling that Shanny and Haslett are going to be doing a lot of mixing and matching and shifting between schemes and players. I think O lines and QB's are going to be very confused. Even Shanny said he was going to run a 3-4 with a 4 man front. Let the smoke and mirrors begin! We're going to have different players coming at 'em from all over the place.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 28, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 28, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm not particularly versed in the 3-4 defense, but what you say makes sense. If they bring back DANIELS because of his size and strength, club has got to go after another DE because DANIELS can't handle a full season without getting hurt. He's like GRIFFIN in that respect.

GRIFF used to be a load inside, and he still has his moments, but he's done, and isn't a nose anyway. Way too late for him to learn a new position even if he could play it.

GOLSTON just is not a NT at all. He's too small to play DT in a 4-3 let alone the nose in a 3-4.

And MONTY hasn't shown me anything so far. Four tackles last season and zeros other-wise. Besides, he left some lane-sized holes inside when he did play. At 6'6", I'm not sure he has a low enough center of gravity to be a nose tackle.

I'm really surprised the REDSKINS staff thinks this can be accomplished this year.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Updated Sunday, February 28, 2010 at 6:02:30 PM EST
Name School 40-Yard
Dash Bench
press Vertical
jump Three-cone
drill Broad
jump
Bradford, Sam Oklahoma
Brown, Jarrett West Virginia 4.54 34.5 9'06
Brown, Levi Troy 4.95 20 7.07 8'07
Canfield, Sean Oregon St. 4.99 8'04
Clark, Daryll Penn State 21
Clausen, Jimmy Notre Dame
Edwards, Armanti Appalachian St.
Hall, Max BYU 4.87 32.0 8'06
Hiller, Tim Western Michigan 4.94 18 32.5 9'10
Kafka, Mike Northwestern 4.93 32.0 6.96 9'02
Lefevour, Dan Central Michigan 4.66 6.93 9'02
Lewis, Thaddeus Duke 4.84
McCoy, Colt Texas 4.79 9'06
Pike, Tony Cincinnati 4.92 7.06 9'00
Robinson, Zac Oklahoma St. 4.71 35.0 9'02
Skelton, John Fordham 4.85 33.5 9'00
Skinner, Clayton Wake Forest 5.00 7.04 8'05
Snead, Jevan Mississippi 5.01 33.0 8'07
Tebow, Tim Florida 4.72 38.5 6.66 9'07

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 28, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

With his size and considering london fletchers lack there of, I would think he would make a better fit inside with london. In the mold of a Levon Kirkland type, when he was inside for the Steelers in the 3-4

Posted by: b145579 | February 28, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

LEVI BROWN TROY STATE spent his first two years at RICHMOND. He was a solid player, but ERIC WARD beat him out.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: b145579 | February 28, 2010 10:27 PM

Maybe they see him as a Adelius Thomas type player.

Posted by: TWISI | February 28, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: frediefritz | February 28, 2010 9:38 PM |

The dud is old, he has been injured the last two yrs and if they make him an offer it will be the vet min. If he makes it to the 2010 season he will prob play backup. so who gives a shti about this? Since when is stuff about scrubs news for for Chrissakes?

Posted by: PsyOps | February 28, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2010 10:19 PM

3-4 DEs are hard to quantify by stats, same with NTs. This is why some would consider Tyson Jackson a bust. 4-3 DEs get after the QB and most would be considered OLBs in a 3-4.

Prototypical 3-4 DEs: Haynie, Seymour, Trevor Pryce, Brett Keisel, Ty Warren, Tyson Jackson, Olshansky, Luis Castillo. Big strong guys that would play inside in a 4-3.

Prototypical 3-4 OLBs typically played DE in college or would play DE in a 4-3. Ware, Harrison, Woodley, Ellis, Vrabel, Orakpo, Suggs, Anthony Spencer, Shawn Merriman.

Prototypical NTs: Wilfork, Hampton, Kris Jenkins. 350+ guys that spend all day tying up at least 2 blockers every play (except Jay Ratliff).

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 28, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 28, 2010 10:25 PM |

Not very interesting dude.

Posted by: PsyOps | February 28, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz is one wiz-bang disasta afta anotha, I can't stand to watch those great players we gave away to the Dallas Mavericks (I know, they're not the Cowboys, but they rhyme) lead them to the championship, like the Gasol steal, owners work outside the established league box all the time, hate to say it, like the Mafia, f***in' rigs under the table,wassup with the Ilgauskas Revenge Treaty, oi...Sorry, jus' some natural steam..f*** sorry, oi...

Posted by: frak | February 28, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Diesel. In that case we definitely should look at TRACY and MOATS in the post-draft. They were excellent DE's in the CAA for their careers. Isn't CHRIS WILSON already that kind of giy?

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 28, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Didn't I read where all those guys got franchised or locked up to new contracts by their current teams.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Since when is stuff about scrubs news for for Chrissakes?

Posted by: PsyOps | February 28, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Damm guy, it's the REDSKINS, after all.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 28, 2010 10:50 PM

Yes. A dominant NT is key to the 3-4. That is unfortunately a need for us to make the switch fulltime.

Posted by: Diesel44 | February 28, 2010 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | February 28, 2010 10:25 PM |

Not very interesting dude.

Posted by: PsyOps | February 28, 2010 10:44 PM

That's probably more the combine and players fault than Jimmy's. I would venture to guess that some on here were interested in that info.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 28, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I took a look at the Combine #s for OL and Bruce Campbell performed very well. He was among the leaders in all the imp drills - 40 yd (pulling speed), bench (upper body str) and 20 yd shut (lat mobility). Trent Will showed up in 2 of the 3 but the two top OL in the draft evals, Davis and Okung, were not impress. Davis did not make any of the 3 drill cats and Okung made only 1, bench.

Posted by: PsyOps | February 28, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

It's been such a pleasure to have some REAL football people making decisions and acting like other "normal" teams...It doesn't matter what defense is used as long as "we" can put some points on the board and play with an actual lead in a game for once...when and if THAT ever happens, then the opposing offense becomes one dimensional and has to rely on the pass to get back in the game...

These discussions are so much better than hockey...let alone, olympic hockey.

Posted by: boricuabopper | February 28, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

These discussions are so much better than hockey...let alone, olympic hockey.

Posted by: boricuabopper | February 28, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | February 28, 2010 11:08 PM |

What was hilar was PSU's Clark who did only 1 drill, the bench, and had 21 reps. Pretty good stat I guess if you expect your QB to stiff-arm charging DL dudes.

Posted by: PsyOps | February 28, 2010 11:19 PM | Report abuse

WTF? Really? With all these new defensive schemes they're supposedly going to do now, flipping from a 4-3 to 3-4 to a 3-4 that's really a 4-3, and lord knows what else, the players aren't going to know where to line up on the field. This just seems unnecessarily complicated..

Posted by: ga8085 | February 28, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PsyOps | February 28, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I read where the vertical jump and broad jumps where important to the OL as it shows hip explosion. The 20 yard shuttle is important as well as it shows lateral agility.

CBS news in DC is reporting Chris Samuels will hold a presser this Thursday to announce his retirement.

Posted by: TWISI | February 28, 2010 11:26 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz is one wiz-bang disasta afta anotha, ...

Posted by: frak | February 28, 2010 10:46 PM |

Hey, they beat the Nets who beat the Celts ... You blew a chance to word up - "the Wiz iz" inst of "the Wiz is". Surprising since you did have "disasta afta anotha" word up.

Posted by: PsyOps | February 28, 2010 11:28 PM | Report abuse

The idea of Alexander playing outside linebacker seems pretty hilarious, unless it's in some kind of special run stopping formation. I don't see him in any major role at LB regardless.

Orakpo, Chris Wilson and Andre Carter as LBs in a 3-4 make a lot of sense.

I'm more interested in what their plans might be for McIntosh, and whether he could possibly make a transition to the inside.

Posted by: dfbovey | February 28, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I thought I read somewhere that the Redskins would be running a hybrid 3-4, utilizing a 4-man front at times. Folks are quick to rush to judge decisions before all of the facts are known.

Posted by: JinxMan | February 28, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Um, Alexander is 300 pounds . . . Jarmon is 275 and ran a 4.78 - these are outside linebackers . . . OK, I get it, "hybrid" meaning the 4-3 with the DE in a 2 point stance and offset a bit. No problem with that.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | March 1, 2010 12:58 AM | Report abuse

I have to admit that what I'm hearing so far doesn't make much sense to me.

The front defensive 7 was the strength of this team in 2009, in the 4-3. Shaking it up doesn't make sense to me. Why go 3-4? Daniels is old and has been hurt the past 2 years, though he played thru it last year. We have depth on the DL, why not get younger?

Alexander to LB? I recall the play he got abused by westbrook -- it was ugly. In a 3-4, you do need the OLBs to cover. Sounds pretty off the wall.

I'm in the 'keep Campbell' camp, and so far the signs are pointing the other way.

A longer term deal for Rabach? Unless someone spotted a correctable deficiency in his game, I'd hope we could upgrade the center position sooner rather than later. Its a risk to let him go, but he's struggled a lot the past couple years.

Shanahan has the track record that gives him the benefit of the doubt and then some. But I'm a bit surprised at the direction he seems to be going.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | March 1, 2010 2:14 AM | Report abuse

Since we're dreaming here...why don't Danny boy go after the cornerback in Oakland before the Jets still him and ship Carlos Rodgers out or Smoot! and if I could have my Christmas gift early sign Julius Peppers too. Then use all our 2010 picks and build up the offense O-Line and maybe a quarterback and a late round running back(Shanny boy should have the eye for one of these gems hidden in the later rounds). Use the FA on Defense and Draft on Offense. We'd still at best might be 8-8 because chemistry would need to take place and everyone buying into ALLEN/Shanny/Hasslett scheme and getting the right personal to feel comfortable executing it and not thinking but just reacting out of familiarity and embracing it(like Greg Williams and Sean Peyton had the Saints just believe the System)

Posted by: anointedebony | March 1, 2010 2:23 AM | Report abuse

if I could have my Christmas gift early sign Julius Peppers too.

Posted by: anointedebony | March 1, 2010 2:23 AM

That's your idea of a Christmas gift? "There must be a pony in here somewhere...."

Julius Peppers = April Fool's Day Joke

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 6:04 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, pass on Peppers...the only way I'd take a chance on him is if he takes about half what he's asking for. Making a long term, big money commitment to him would be borderline insane at this point.

I'm willing to see what Alexander can do at OLB (not that any of us have a real choice in the matter); it seems to me that if Levon Kirkland could play LB (and that guy was 300 pounds on a good day) at a high level in a 3-4, Alexander should be able to make it interesting at least.

Can't wait to see what happens.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Today at 5:01 PM they will release CP. Just like last year when they released Taylor as soon as the season ticket renewal period closed.

Posted by: 3rings | March 1, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 3rings | March 1, 2010 6:56 AM

Um, releasing CP won't exactly rattle Redskin Nation...so I don't get why the team would go to any lengths to time his release around season ticket renewal. I mean, his act has worn pretty thin and I don't know of anyone who regards CP as a sacred cow here.

I, for one, hope they DO release Portis. He's long overstayed his welcome, IMO.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Wait a sec some within the organization??? Well, ownership is the only thing that hasn't pretty much changed Bruce Allen and all of Shanny's boys were brought in by him so who in the Org has issues??? Come on WP already trying to stir up problems are you? I see no reason why a switch would do nothing but help the skins they have several DE's who are high motored guys who could be switched to LB in some situations. Don't always write so negatively, of course most of you're writing is like reading junk mail anyway...

Posted by: papaskynz | March 1, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

In honor of Sean Taylor, the Redskins will be playing with only 10 men on defense and employing a 3-4-3 system, with the ghost of Sean Taylor covering any gap and open man that might slip through the system. What "evil" may lurks in the defense, only the "Shanny" knows!

Posted by: JohnWWW | March 1, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

I don't see Alexander as an OLB.

He is 6'2 and 280 and at 27 has played on the line (offense and defense) his whole career.

I could see Alexander bulking up to 285-290 and playing DE in a 3-4.

But LB?

Look at Baltimore. They have run perhaps the most effective 3-4 the past 10 years.

Suggs is 260. Lewis is 256. Sharper when he was in Baltimore was 249. Bart Scott is 255.

I just don't see how the Redskins are going to get guys like Alexander and Andre Carter to learn completely new positions well into their NFL careers.

Carter is 30. At 30, you are lucky to have a player that is going to maintain his production at his CURRENT position for another 2-3 years, let alone putting him in a more challenging spot.

Posted by: leopard09 | March 1, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Lorenzo Alexander is only 270, with a consistent dedication to the redskins workout plan and his god given athletic ability (he has the ability to play professionally three different nfl positions, that's an athlete people!) there is no reason he couldn't lose 5-10 pounds and play at 260-265 and become a solid situational run stopper and pass rusher in a 3-4 scheme.

Remember that in a 3-4 scheme, you want lighter more athletic middle linebackers that are used to cover and larger (defensive ends in most 4-3 schemes) outside linebackers. That's why you have defensive ends (around 245-265 pounds) convert to outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. Alexander is better off losing 5-10 pounds and moving to outside linebacker and therefore becoming more athletic than he is now and therefore a solid fit for the position rather than gaining 10-20 pounds a losing his athletic talent that has made him as diverse and talented as he is now.

I'm glad to see the move, it shows that there actually people in the organization logically thinking about players and putting them in the best situation to succeed. Not treating the team like a madden run season mood like most fans do.

Posted by: culprit59 | March 1, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

alexander is not a olb..maybe he can get down to 255-260lbs and play inside linebacker but certainly not outside. hopefully if this team goes to the 3-4 make sure they still use the 4-3 at times they could probably use another experienced line-backer.

Posted by: wathu19 | March 1, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse