Rogers says he doesn't expect to be on bench

Benched after giving up a long touchdown pass early in the Redskins' game against Denver, cornerback Carlos Rogers hopes to play Sunday in Cowboys Stadium, Rogers said before practice today at Redskins Park.

"I don't think I'll just be strictly benched," he said. "May come off the bench. Not saying that's what the case is; I don't know. I don't expect to be on the bench."

In the first quarter of Washington's 27-17 victory over the Broncos at FedEx Field, Denver quarterback Kyle Orton and wide receiver Brandon Marshall combined on 40- and 75-yard touchdown passes. Marshall, who was wide open by several yards on both scoring plays, beat Rogers on a double-move for the first touchdown.

Wideout DeSean Jackson beat Rogers on a double-move for a 57-yard touchdown in Washington's Week 7 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles. After Marshall burned Rogers, the coaching staff benched him for the remainder of the game in favor or Fred Smoot.

"I don't expect to be on the bench" this week, Rogers reiterated. "But like I said, I made a mistake. It happened. Whatever the consequences, I got to deal with it and I got to live with it. If that's not playing, I'm here to support the team."

The team's first first-round draft pick in the 2005 draft (Washington also selected Campbell in the first round that year) has felt slighted throughout his career with the Redskins, which could end soon. Rogers is a restricted free agent after the season, and he might benefit from a change in scenery.

Whether Rogers returns to the Redskins next season or moves on, he needs to work on covering double moves.

"Being an aggressive corner, and just not even being an aggressive corner, a corner that don't want passes completed on him, if it's third down my mindset is, 'Just get off the field. I want to get off the field,' " Rogers said. "They throw this ball to one [of] their go-to guys, I don't want him to catch it. And that's my mindset. With that it's just tough. You think a route coming, you study formations and [you say], 'Out this, this is what they do.' They do that, and [by the] time you look back to get a pick or break up the ball, it's back there [a touchdown]. I mean, Sunday they [Broncos] gave about three [double moves] and we ain't cover not one of 'em. It's just hard. It's tough to do."

Rogers and secondary coach Jerry Gray have talked about Rogers's approach against double moves.

"Just stay with my eyes on the receivers longer and more cushion," he said. "I'm kind of a guy like, I want to be on my receiver. I want to be tight and tough. Probably need to stay more depth, stay more over the top and just keep my eyes on the receiver.

"That's the only thing I can do. That's the only thing Jerry told me to do. Don't stop my aggression. Don't stop being a physical corner. Just keep your eyes on the receiver and loosen up your cushion."

Afternoon update

Rick Maese tweets that Clinton Portis isn't at Redskins Park, isn't participating in meetings, isn't watching practice. We'll ask Zorn, but he seems doubtful. ... Also, Albert Haynesworth, who hurt his ankle Sunday, wasn't at practice. ... Mike Williams was there, but seemed to be watching and not participating.

By Jason Reid  |  November 18, 2009; 1:57 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Smith is NFC special teams player of week
Next: Hunter the punter is man of the moment

Comments

Nothing wrong with that.

Except the opposing team might make a halftime adjustment?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | November 18, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

It does take speed off the field.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

What kind of adjustment might they make? put more guys in the box? then you start throwing out of the set more than you did before, you can adjust right back but we should keep the best personnel on the field. And I'm sorry what speed is off the field if Moss and DT11 are on it? MK, MM, and ARE (anymore) aren't exactly speed guys.....obviously if you get in 3rd and long you'll may have to go 3 wide but if you are in two tight end pounding the ball you shouldn't get in 3 wide, its time for smashmouth Redskins football again, it worked pretty darn well this weekend and its what we've always been better suited for, take that west coast stuff back to the west coast....

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Geez, you'd crap ypur pants if you ever watched McNabb play. He does that every other throw.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

yeah but he also makes amazing plays every other throw and hits his guys for deep passes and scores points....don't even pretend JC and McNabb are in the same stratosphere of QB....

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Bench....

Posted by: 4thFloor | November 18, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

12 yards off the ball on 3rd and 10 isn't enough cushion?

WTF?

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 18, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

"Rogers says he doesn't expect to be on bench"

And he shouldn't be--when the game starts.

However, if he again gets used like he was Charmin toilet paper in a world of diarrhea, the bench is the best place for him.

Draft status--and contract size--should have nothing to do with who plays.

Playing time should be given to those players who shut up and play.

Otherwise, the players who don't perform on the field can sit on the bench and play with themselves.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 18, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

more cushion!!!!!!!!!!!! HA we already play 12 yards off receivers, why don't we just let CR22 stand in the end zone and wait, the offense will get there eventually anyway if start giving 20 yards of cushion instead of our standard 12.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Carlos got the memo - keep him on the field, especially with Austin and WIlliams out there we need at least one big corner jamming his guy on the line - especially since we're going to be stacking the box with 8 guys, or at least Blache probably will want to stop Barber and Choice first.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | November 18, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

zj, thats funny, I actually laughed at that...CR playing 80 yards off the ball...

personally, I'd rather activate Barnes, and move on from CR...we've seen this movie before...

"if it's third down my mindset is, 'Just get off the field. I want to get off the field"

I mean, giving up a long TD is one way to make this happen right??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"HA we already play 12 yards off receivers,..."

This strategy is indeed confounding.

Anyone who's played any defensive football on any level knows jamming a receiver or tight end on the line disrupts the timing he has with the quarterback.

And given the pass rush the skins have, such a disruption would be a plus.

Playing 12 yards off against elite receivers means giving up the 'smoke screen' or slant opening yourself up to a guy breaking a route off early on in the game to set up the 'double move'.

Like the two Brandon Marshall scored with thispast Sunday.

Get the corners and 'backers up on the receivers, and coach them to 'jam' at the line, please!!!

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 18, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Afternoon update

Posted by: Cindy Boren | November 18, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Unless you're in a prevent defense, you shouldn't be more than 5 yards off of the receiver to begin with, imho.

If you are, then you're saying you're not quick enough to play the CB position in the NFL.

Watching 1985 film, you can see D. Green and Vernon Dean play right up on WRs. Yes, Green is HOF, but Dean isn't. And the argument that WRs are faster today should be balanced out by the logic that if WRs in 2009 are on average faster today than in 1985, then CBs in 2009 should also be - on average - faster than those in 1985.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

McNabb also throws deep 50 times a game, has a much better line, and has more deep ball receivers. McNabb threw deep more times in the Raiders game than JC has all season. They aren't even close to being in the same situation.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Good news about CP, and MW. I have a feeling that when MW gets healthy, JZ is gonna pull Rhino....

anyone tell me what Dallas's D is ranked against the run??

Need to get Betts/Rock/Ganther going early and often..wear them out..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

seriously, go double tight end, and run right at him, never have a play where there aren't 2 guys pushing him to the ground,if he switches over to the weakside, have yod's cut off his backside pursuit, have big mike banging helmets with him all game long, don't put him in a position of being able to get 1-1 blocking....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Greg we once again are of one mind here. Davis and Yoder are some of our best pass catchers anyway, it drives me crazy when we go in to these 3 wide sets with just a back to chip against some of the best pass rushing teams in the league. What's wrong with going 2 tight end all game, they have more than proven they can catch. Plus the defense never knows which one is staying in and which is going out and Betts can get out and catch the ball. That's 3 legit passing options that can block too we should be 2 tight end all game, pound betts, rock, ganther and use the tight ends in the passing game. We shouldn't see a 3 wide set at all. Especially with the prolific wide receiving corps we have going three wide is just advantage defense, pound them and keep them off balance never knowing which guy might sneak out in a pattern and take a deep shot to moss at least once a quarter.....maybe just maybe JC can put one in his zip code.

Posted by: zjfr2 | November 18, 2009 1:48 PM

I was on the wrong side of you guys yesterday, but this is way way the way I see it too. Against Denver, Sellers lined up at tight end almost exclusively, and in the few times they were in the I, he motioned out of it tight end. My manlove for Yoder, the invisible touchdown machine, esp. since the addition of the Yohawk, is well-known up here. Given that Davis got the most pass attempts (6) and he completed 4 of them, this is the wave of the future. Well, the future of this season anyway. The wave of next season, with Cooley back, should be four tight end sets.

Re: CR22 and "more cushion," I only have to say that the bigger the cushion, the deeper the pushin' ... or so I have read. Big bottoms drive me out of my mind. How can I leave this behind?

Posted by: dcsween | November 18, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

"...Clinton Portis isn't at Redskins' Park, isn't participating in meetings, and isn't watching practice."

...and so, how is any of this unusual?

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 18, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Carlos - My mindset is you suck.

BOYCOTT $NYDER-FIRE CERRATO-DUMP DONOVAN!!!

Posted by: hessone | November 18, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

No wonder they moved the play calling up to the sky boxes. With so many player-coaches on the sidelines dialing up their own numbers -- and deciding if and when they want to play -- there seems to be little room left over for any other so called coaching staff.

CR should only start if he presents a clearly better option at his position than any of the other alternatives.

It shouldn't be about salary, or time with the team, or affinity with the owner, or something they may have done last season. Rather, it should be about who is in the best suited to handle their assignments -- who has put the most work into getting prepared for the game.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 18, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Butterfingers.

Posted by: ridgely1 | November 18, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

bean

Would you do a Portis for Matt Light trade?

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | November 18, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, move FSmooter, into the CB spot, move Tryon into the #3 spot, and lets get Barnes involved....lets see what this kid can do...I know that this coaching staff is loathe to use rookies, but time to get an idea of what we have...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | November 18, 2009; 1:57 PM ET

Wednesday and he doesn't know whether he'll be playing? If he doesn't know whether he's playing then Smoot, Barnes, Tryon don't know what their roles are, either. Great coaching. Way to get the team ready for Dallas.

Posted by: League-Source | November 18, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I would like to offer some BASIC advice to our coverage team:

A man isn't going anywhere his GUT isn't pointed. Double move or not - look where his torso is pointed, that's where he's going.

One step behind, and you can catch him. Bite on the wrong move, it's over.

Where is his GUT pointed?

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 18, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Comparing McNabb to JC is as dumb as how Rogers sounds with his broken english ebonics speak. WTF can't Rogers just not bite on short passes. Get up on the WR, jam him and if some short passes get completed as a result of a good route so be it. Don't just give them free completions on hitches by giving a 15 yard cushion.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | November 18, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

"Just stay with my eyes on the receivers longer and more cushion,"

Is this some damn type of joke? There is already a 10 yard cushion. Time for Gray and Rogers to be shown the door.

Posted by: jm220 | November 18, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

"Being an aggressive corner, and just not even being an aggressive corner..."

Passive aggressive?

Posted by: 4-12 | November 18, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

oos, no, thats just putting off the inevitable....I think ML will get axed after this year anyway, they have a rook Sebastian Vollmer, who just held DFreeney at Bay....I'd bring ML in, but move him to RT...and not in a trade either...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the WCO supposed to be about getting the ball to the WR's and having them get lots of YAC? They should be doing everything they can to get the WR's (Thomas and Kelly in particular) the ball and see what they can do. Kelly flashed last week and Thomas has a few times. It was pretty remarkable to see how much bigger Kelly was than the DB who ended up bringing him down. Hell maybe they can bait a CB into a jumping the route with a double move. I know Moss was wide open with one of those at Atlanta. JC didn't see it though. Make WR-TE-WR a good thing.

Posted by: skinswest | November 18, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Please, no mention of playoffs or playoff possibilities, even in jest.

At this point, I just want to see them perform offensively like they have for the past 6 quarters, and cut down the big plays against the D.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | November 18, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ToddStinkston | November 18, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

It's not so much comparing McNabb to JC it's more complaining that we don't take enough deep shots. We go deep once a game right after halftime. We need to up that to at least once a quarter.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 18, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Since I referenced the '85 Skins, check out this short video (3:20) on George Rogers.

What stands out is Russ Grimm's comments at 0:41 about what he said to Rogers after he fumbled. I don't think any Redskins o-linemen in the modern era would ever get on Portis like that after a fumble.

Also, there's a shot of Gibbs being interviewed at 2:24 and he has no shirt on (seriously) for some reason.

Weird.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | November 18, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Would you do a Portis for Matt Light trade?

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | November 18, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

In 2005, yes.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 18, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

bean , as we both know up here in NE, they won't just let light walk he has lots of value and they have a penchant for squezzing the last mile out of a nearly over the hill RB....just saying

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | November 18, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 18, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Don't know what Gray has told Rogers, but it can't be any different than any db coach from the recreation level up to the pro's, and Gray when he played was one of the best.

CB Zone montra:
1) Stay as deep as the deepest and as wide as the widest.

CB Man Montra:
1) Chuck 5 up
2) Watch the hips not the shoulders
3) Stay hip on hip from the outside and play the ball from the inside.
4) Grab the ball at its highest.

Gray probably realized on Sunday, that Rogers will never get it and its time to move on.

Posted by: clark202 | November 18, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Getting back to Chia's post after a trip to the Dr.

You think? - Some times but I think that thinking is overrated

Do you love rain? - only if I can walk in it shirtless with a melancholy look of deep philosophical thought on my face (Chick magnet)

Hipsters strike your fancy? - i like Hippies more then hipsters. But I do like throwing rocks at hipsters.

Tweekers as part of your social group? - I worked in theater.

Sex offenders on every corner? - Any attractive lady sex offenders?

Unemployment suit you? - Yes but I am living in the US, we have unemployment everywhere.

What about potholes? - you mean holes full of pot? Cuz I use mass transit.

Want to pump your own gas? - See above, but I always have. I mean lordy lordy I cant figure out how to pump my gas I must be retarded and from Jersey, which would also qualify you to be a senator from jersey, as despite having an ivy league school in their state, everyone there is an idiot.

Enjoy paying sales tax? - yes. I am a socialist.

Courteous drivers? - wait they have em or no?

Credible public transportation? - same question as above

Superfund site family picnic areas? - I had to look up what that meant. But sounds like the beginning of a good ol trauma film.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 18, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

can they put a gag order on this team for the rest of teh season. Their ignorance and arrogance hurts them.

Posted by: oknow1 | November 18, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

why is wynn renaldo still on our squad? what is up with montgommery IR hello??? I mean if he is not going to be healthy enough by mid year...make room for the younger stronger hungier.....

Posted by: OriginalOldschool | November 18, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Oooh! That '85 clip reminded me of something. I watched "State of Play" the other night (The American movie, not the British mini-series). It wasn't bad. But what really got me about it: There's a prolonged scene w/ Affleck on a Senate panel giving a speech. And guess who's next to him nodding and reacting? Frank Herzog!! WTG Hollywood Frank! hehe.

I think Comcast is also running a special (the ad w/ Shaq & Montgomery Blair's own Ben Stein (Beuhler? Beuhler?)) and they show the clip. It's the ad where they're at some fake awards show. There's Frank! hehe.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 18, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Rogers says he doesn't expect to be on bench??? WTH has he been smokin lately?

Or is he just blind with hands of stone?

Posted by: dc4life | November 18, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Step up ur game Rodgers. We still love you here in redskins nation.

Posted by: taylormade218 | November 18, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Rogers says he doesn't expect to be on bench??? WTH has he been smokin lately?

Or is he just blind with hands of stone?

Posted by: dc4life | November 18, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

=====================================

Maybe he has brain of stone too!

Posted by: JohnWWW | November 18, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Sure Carlos will play but will he do anything but watch passes go over his head? He can tackle but he cant cover his bed with a blanket!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | November 18, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Who needs Rogers when you have "Love Boat" Smoot? Maybe we can get Champ back from Denver in exchange for Portis....

Posted by: randysbailin | November 18, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse