Rogers Says He'll Be Ready to Go Sunday

With the rest of the media huddled around defensive coordinator Greg Blache, I was able to rap privately with cornerback Carlos Rogers a few minutes ago.

As everyone is well aware, Rogers has been sidelined for much of camp and the preseason because of a lingering calf injury. He kept telling me it wasn't a big deal and that he would be ready to roll when the curtain went up for real.

Then Rogers was limited in practice Wednesday, and, well, reporters are skeptical by nature. Unless something changes, Rogers said he will be in the starting lineup Sunday against the New York Giants at Giants Stadium.

"Oh, yeah, man, I'll be there," he said. "It did surprise me a little bit, just how long it took to get better, because I never really dealt with an injury like this. I had the ACL, but this wasn't as serious as that.

"I didn't think I'd be out this long, but it wasn't pain or anything like that. It was really just the swelling. Once the swelling was out, we could go on from there. But it was never something I was really worried about. It just took a long time."

The Redskins were cautious with Rogers, who could be their top corner in press-man coverage.

"Carlos's calf is very, very good," Blache said. "He's going to practice again today. He did the walkthrough this morning. I think Carlos is fine. We kind of protected him the last couple of weeks because we wanted him to be healthy. We didn't want this to be a lingering thing."

Well, more lingering than it was, anyway.

Despite the addition of defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth and the impressive showing by rookie defensive end/strong-side linebacker Brian Orakpo, the Redskins will not be able to produce as they hope to defensively if Rogers is not right physically. Although DeAngelo Hall has the big contract and moved into the No. 1 corner slot Shawn Springs previously held, the reality is that Hall gives up a lot of big plays and has throughout his career.

Hall also is going to make a lot of big plays, and the Redskins re-signed him, in part, because of his knack for getting interceptions. Rogers has dropped many would-be interceptions throughout his career, but no corner in the NFC East was better in coverage than Rogers for a long stretch last season.

"I'll be ready, and I think we can be good, real good, as a secondary," Rogers said. "I'm just ready to get going."

By Jason Reid  |  September 10, 2009; 1:17 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A League of Your Own
Next: Williams Surprised by 'Limited' Label

Comments

I'll never complain about typos in any of these blog posts. And I never will. But I saw this--"cautionious"--and it was beautiful. One of the best typos ever. Could be the name of an MC.

Posted by: CDon | September 10, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Knowing what you know now, would you rather have:

A. Cutler (but not Orakpo)
B. Sanchez (but not Orakpo)
or
C.Campbell and Orakpo?

I'll take:
D) Bobby Boucher and Shane Falco

Posted by: gatorskinz2000 | September 10, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Cautionious Jackson a top draft prospect next year? You know, out of JReid University?

Posted by: pgugino | September 10, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I hope this isn't smoke and Carlos is legitimately ready to go on Sunday. Seems like some of the bloggers are not sold on D. Hall. I think he's great - maybe a bit more of a risk taker than Rogers - but he counters that with much better hands. It's a slow day so here's a hypothetical: What if the team tried Devin Thomas out as a defensive back? I realize that is one of those crazy things like making the Fridge your fullback, but the guy is ripped and I am just betting he could put a hurting on a wide receiver, plus he's got quick feet...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RITCA | September 10, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Aren't the Jints also dragging their feet on a couple of dudes' injuries? This is just gamesmanship, yo. (He says, foolishly hoping everything's all right with Carlos.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 10, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

E) Shirley Manson and Gwen Stefani.

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 10, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow NBC Sports has the skins ranked #26 in the NFL this decade.

Behind KC, Oakland, and Arizona.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 10, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Right now I gotta go C because we have seen production from Orakpo in the preseason and JC knows this offense now. But ask me again at the end of the season...

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | September 10, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

What I really like about Albert facing the jints. eli has a tendency to throw while backpedaling, and those passes result in turnover opportunities. eli can't zip the ball without stepping into it.

Between Albert and Griff/Golston, I expect the center of the jints OL to be deep in the backfield quite often, meaning eli can't step up. If eli can't step into a throw, it gets entertaining quickly.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 10, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

"It means a lot after missing [virtually] the whole year last year ... going through that [knee] injury," said Kelly, who caught just three passes in five games as a rookie in 2008. "I always said that once I get healthy, I know I can play football. But I still got a lot to prove."

So does Thomas, who played in every game last season but produced just 15 catches, 120 yards and no touchdowns. He didn't help his cause by missing a week of camp this summer with a tender hamstring.

"It's not a surprise," Thoms said. "Malcolm's a hard worker and he's making plays. It's good for him to be fully healthy and ready to go. I know we're all going to get a lot of playing time and ready to make plays."

The fellow second-round picks from the 2008 draft had virtually identical statistics this preseason: each caught seven passes with Kelly gaining 69 yards and Thomas 67. Neither scored. But the 6-foot-4 Kelly has two inches on Thomas and displayed better hands day after day in practice.

Kelly said he was motivated by coming to camp behind Thomas on Zorn's depth chart.

"I knew I was behind because I missed a whole lot more practices than he did," said Kelly, who was held out of minicamp and organized team activities in May as he recovered from a third knee surgery. "I told myself that behind or ahead I was going to stay after practice every day, catch balls from Jason [Campbell], catch balls from the Jugs machine and it's paying off."

Kelly believes that he transferred that consistency to practices and preseason games.

"I think they believe that they can trust me to be in the right spot and make plays," Kelly said. "I try to make sure that my hands are dependable. That's one of my best attributes. I feel like I had a pretty good training camp and then not to drop a ball the whole preseason and to make plays ... when they needed [them] showed them what they needed to see."

Antwaan Randle El, who started at the spot the past three years, wasn't in the locker room today, but Kelly said that the veteran had been classy in congratulating him about his promotion on Wednesday.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow NBC Sports has the skins ranked #26 in the NFL this decade.

Behind KC, Oakland, and Arizona.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 10, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Sounds about right to me (unfortunately).

Oakland and Arizona made it to the big show this decade. Not sure about KC though. I am a HUGE Skins fan and I can say it has not been a good ten years for us.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 10, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

This team really needs both Rogers and Hall to keep healthy all year. The idea of Tryon, Barnes or Westbrook making their way into the nickel packages if Smoot has to start, is pretty damn scary.

Posted by: dfbovey | September 10, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

And people didn't want Malcolm Kelly during the draft because of 'attitude problems'. Tsk tsk...

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

guilty as charged....however psp, you have to admit that when he blamed OU for his poor 40 time, it made for bad press....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow NBC Sports has the skins ranked #26 in the NFL this decade.

Behind KC, Oakland, and Arizona.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8

This is wear I channel my inner bwood26...

Hey, I loooove the 'skins just as much as the next man. I bi*** and moan when they lose, and find myself taking a very high level of self-satisfaction when they win. And on gameday, I'm yelling, cheering, and WTF'n all of my living room.

But I think a lot of fans are completely delusional about what this team has been since 2000.

An over-hyped, over-spent, underachieving team, save for two years when they made the playoffs.

Those teams, Oakland (SB win, multiple double digit win season), Kansas City (multiple double digit win seasons, Conf. Champ appearance), and Arizona (SB appearance) simply have more of a prestigious body of work so far this decade.

Hell, I wish the 'skins can string together back to back 10+ win seasons for the first time in my life. To date, they have not.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

psps23,
I thought people didn't want Kelly because of his slow 40 time and his suspect knees...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | September 10, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

From the previous thread...let me chime in on this "fan" jibba jabba

There are some people that are "true" Redskin fans...they have followed them for an extended period of time or since they could remember. A "true" fan is the eternal optimist.

There are some "fair weather" fans that only like the Redskins after they win. For example, these fans dusted off their Gus Frerrote jersey when the Skins last went to the playoffs.

There are some "closet" Redskin fans. These are fans who liked the Redskins at one time but have jumped to Ravens, Steelers or Eagles.

Now...I hate "closet" fans the most. Remember when you were a kid and it was always that other kid who liked a team who was winning at the moment. "Closet" fans have no stones and I have disdain for them.

I am a "true" Redskin fan. I have like them since I was a kid, and will not route for any other team. I love football and watch other teams. I respect other teams.

BUT...as of this day, I am looking for those fair-weather and closet fans to reveal themselves. Who will jump on the bandwagon when they are 6-2? Who will call for JC to be singned to an extension after the first touchdown? Who will wear a Steelers jersey but can't name two O-lineman? Who has a Laverneus Coles jersey they put in the closet in disgust.

I AM A TRUE FAN...

GO SKIN!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | September 10, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

The days may change, but the story stays the same.

Let's hate on DHall, who has become a leader on the defense. Much more than CR22 who has been on this team 3 1/2 years longer.

ufb.....

Emmitt Smith
Michael Irvin
Peter King
Andy Pollin
Thom Lloverro

and---

there are many of you naysayers on this blog...care to go on record.

Posted by: rickyroge | September 10, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Thomas can fight hard and show he deserves some play time and good press too.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 10, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I think it's time to stop b******* about whatever, criticizing management, if we did this, if we did that, which player coulda woulda shoulda...the season is here. Thank God the season is here. Tomorrow is Friday before game day. Strap on the burgundy and gold and wear it with pride. It is a new season. ANYTHING is possible. Tomorrow, we can smack talk with the best of 'em. Get psyched boys...it is finally here. Starting right now, it's only about what happens on the field.

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | September 10, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Just so everyone's aware, I will also be ready to go Sunday.

It's my first season with Sunday Ticket, and I'm feeling super smart and ready to cheer my guts out for every swingin' soul.

Posted by: freakzilla | September 10, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm not trying to say that the skins should be ranked in the top 10. My point was seeing them at 26 caught me off-guard.

I see your point about AZ and Oak making it to the SB but I disagree that that qualifies them for a better decade. The cards only made 1 playoff trip and have had 7 losing seasons. Similarly Oak has had 6 losing seasons. KC is also 0-2 in the playoffs (they haven't made conf. championships this decade).

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | September 10, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with rickyroge...

It is amazing to see all the Steelers and Patriots jerseys even here in Cheyenne. I always love to ask them "what part of PA are you from" or "what part of NE are you from".

And it never fails that if I ask 25 people only one or two are from there. I know you dont have to be from there to like a certain team. So I will the ask, especially a Partiots fan, "who was the quarterback and #1 receiver before Brady and Moss" and they give me a blank stare.

I have followed the Skins since I was a kid and every new state I move to I still love the Skins. I can honestly say i am not even a football fan as much as I am Skins fan. I usually cant sit and watch a football game unless the Skins are playing.

I could not imagine ever routing for another team.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 10, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | September 10, 2009 1:50 PM

With some A-1 Steak Sauce even crow can be tasty...just pluck the bird first.

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 10, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Who has a Laverneus Coles jersey they put in the closet in disgust.

I AM A TRUE FAN...

GO SKIN!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | September 10, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

I sold mine in a yard sale for $10. Does that count?

Posted by: Original_etrod | September 10, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I could not imagine ever routing for another team.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 10, 2009 2:12 PM

Just the thought of it makes me sick.

HIP HIP HOORAY for us lifelong, diehard, emotional-wrecks-on-Sundays Redskin fans!!!

Posted by: Section104 | September 10, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Shooo, people were down on MK12 up until that pass he plucked out the sky from TC early in the preseason. Before then, it was only a few of 'us' who had his back....

DT11 will see the field plenty on Offense. There will lots of 4 WR sets in the JZ/WCO/Spread Offense.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I chalange JR to shout LIAR at the next presser.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 10, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

curz, I've done it every way that it can be done, boiled, fried, deep fried, grilled, I'm man enough to know and admit when I'm in the wrong.....

"who was the quarterback and #1 receiver before Brady and Moss" and they give me a blank stare"

chey, you could ask that in the Foxboro parking lot on Monday before the game, and you'd get a lot of the same blank stares....lots, and lots of bandwagon fans...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I got Bledsoe...but have no idea on the receiver...

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | September 10, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Just wait another 5 years or so when everyone is rocking the Detroit Lions jerseys

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 10, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 2:19 PM

From now on I will end with "hope I'm wrong" just in case ;)

Posted by: Curzon417 | September 10, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I chalange JR to shout LIAR at the next presser.

Posted by: alex35332

Classic!

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 10, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Kelly blaming OU on his 40 time has some validity to it.

Much like DeAngelo Hall verbally handing that d-bag coach, Bobby Petrino, his a** on the sideline had some validity to that also. Hall got ripped for that, turns out a lot of the players wanted to rip his bama a** a new one, and felt that Hall had spoke for most of them when he did it.

Cowboy or not, I wasn't quick to judge Haynesworth either. That d-bag center (whose name slips me) had been f'n with AH the whole game. Doing little ticky-tacky, p**** stuff that will eventually get under a man's skin.

This is why I don't judge these players. We're on the outside looking in, some of us from thousands of miles away. You don't know who's got a legit beef or not.

We don't know s***. They (athletes, coaches, owners) have their own world. The rest of us saps pay a small fee to come by visit for a few hours on Sunday.

That is how most of them see it, and honestly, that's how it is.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 10, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

blesoe, troy brown, thats all I've got....wasn't ever a pats fan...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"I got Bledsoe...but have no idea on the receiver...

Posted by: 44riggosranger44 | September 10, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse "

__________________

I'd guess Terry Glenn

Posted by: dfbovey | September 10, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

My buddy here is a huge Pats fan, his cousin used to play for him.

He said it was Terry Glenn...he then gave me the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string recveivers for the previous ten years. He is from alabama.

Go Figure!

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 10, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I chalange JR to shout LIAR at the next presser.

Posted by: alex35332

Classic!

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 10, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

That would bring the house down. Can't see the Mayor doing it though, he seems too seriousity moist of the time.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 10, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

From Mosley's column: "Haynesworth told me recently that he and Orakpo have been devising their own little games at the line of scrimmage."

Mostly, these "games" involve 2 manbeasts running through/over/around 3 slower and weaker offensive linemen to get to the QB before he makes his first progression.

Is it Sunday yet? Damn...still only Thursday.

Posted by: Section104 | September 10, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

curz, thats right.....I mean, I hope I'm wrong....did I do it right?

red, I got no problem with what AH did, you do business as business is being done...that wasn't some random act, gurode had that stuff coming...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_

I have a staff meeting in a little bit, I think I'll try it. If it works, everyone laughs. If it doesnt, I get a three-day weekend.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 10, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 10, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I think it would depend on when he does it.. Maybe when Jimmy comes out and does just his introduction.

JZ: Well we had a good practice today
JR: YOU LIE!

hold for laughs (or possible explosion of Zorn)

Posted by: alex35332 | September 10, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

i got the Titans tonight. Just sayin.

I am a faux Titans fan. Back with the Texas team was Amurica's team, I was a dyed in the wool Skins fan and thought I needed an AFC team to root for so I picked Houston, sort of the anti-Dallas team...they had a guy named Earl Campbell who played for them at the time.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 10, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

tsk, tsk... I give you David Patten, who was indeed a champion with the Patriots but is now better known for his two All-Pro seasons with the Washington Redskins.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | September 10, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please explain what a “bama” is and give the etymology of the word? I can tell it’s not “cool” to be a “bama” but I really want to know what it means and how the word came to be…..

Posted by: dlhaze1 | September 10, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Pats had David Givens, David Patten, Troy Brown and Deion Branch. They spread it around without a real #1 guy.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | September 10, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

CheyenneWY

Do let us know how it turns out.
Still @ FD, right?

Posted by: _Stumped_ | September 10, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I'll see your David Patten, and raise you a Christian Fauria....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"--"cautionious"--and it was beautiful. One of the best typos ever. Could be the name of an MC."

MC Cautionous?

His rap group's name, Public Fear.

or Fear Da Publik

Posted by: MistaMoe | September 10, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ToddStinkston | September 10, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!

Posted by: alex35332 | September 10, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I used to love the Colts as an AFC team. That was back before they became a powerhouse. I remember Jim Harbaugh and the kicker was Dean Biasucci (sp) and they had BIG Jon Hand.

I used that team every once in a while playing Tecmo Bowl. Thats right TECMO BOWL!

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 10, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

were doin' bama again?! Where have you been since 1983?!

Posted by: DikShuttle | September 10, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | September 10, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Nope back in exotic Wyoming. Its a bit like watching a bad after-school special.

It sucks at the time, but in the end you know you'll be better for it.

Posted by: CheyenneWY | September 10, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I remember Curtis Martin playing in a foggy playoff game some 12 years ago or so for the Pats....

Actually I had a co-worker who use to live out there and has season tix since the 80s. The stories who would tell me were comical. Fighting, drinking, such as. All those people now are fairweather fans. He still has the tix, but sells them to his buddy, but he always goes to the AFC Championship game. He was at the 'Tuck' game as well.

Actually, he has season tix to Minnesota/NE/and Bmore. He use to work in Minny and NE. He got the Raven's because he was anti-Skins.... But I respect him anyway.

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 10, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

A factor Sunday..positive for 'skins.

If AOL weather is to be believed, it looks like some pleasant weather at gametime, especially with the 4 PM EDT start.

This is good news for fat guys like Haynesworth who can spend more time on the field.

Wasn't long ago when the skins lost an early game when everyone and his uncle cramped up in the 4th quarter.

Posted by: TheCork | September 10, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

From the Times:

Malcolm Kelly was humble and Devin Thomas was at peace with coach Jim Zorn's announcement that Kelly will open the season as the No. 2 receiver alongside veteran Santana Moss.,,,

POSTED BY: Beantown Greg

Thanks Beans, because we just weren't getting enough Malcolm Kelly coverage here at RI.

Posted by: TheCork | September 10, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

You wonder (even if he is 100%) if Los will be firing on all cylinders with no games, limited practice etc. This is a critical position and rust will not sleep. But Cushing has been out all preseason -- also a number one pick and he is starting Sun.

Posted by: ElYeah | September 10, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

In response to the request to see who's a "true fan"; i've been following this team since 1971, since Sam Wyche was our backup. Through good times and bad ones I've supported this team with everything I have and I have to admit the last 10 years have been a struggle. This ownership and FO are arrogant and conceited; they think they know how to "build a better mousetrap" than the rest of the league when its obvious they do not.
While i want this team to win badly I fear that success will only further cement Cerrato to our future, and I don't care what happens this year that's a bad thing.
I think if this team can score 20 points/game they will win double digits....they only way this happens is if the OL stays healthy....if they have to go into their depth (or lack thereof) we will be in trouble.
Get off of JC, he is more than capable of taking us deep into the playoffs. Ultimately the success of Orakpo will be measured against the success of Micheal Oher (he was available when we selected at 13). orakpo with 10+ sacks will look very good, but if we don't keep JC safe it won't matter. WR will be solid, RB's will be solid - OL health, sacks and turnovers.
I say best case scenario is 10-6, wild card.

Posted by: DEskinzfan | September 10, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

"but no corner in the NFC East was better in coverage than Rogers for a long stretch last season."

if they could catch they would be WR's. Corners cover and tackle, picks are icing. Get it straight.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 10, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

the success of Orakpo would be better measured against larry english, robert ayers, Matthews, or maualuga.

don't let the prick owner define what the Redskins are

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 10, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Hi, my name is ThinkingMan and I'm a Redskins Addict...

...not only do I own (and operate) a Lav Coles jersey, I ALSO own BOTH a Danny Wuerrfel AND a Shane Matthews jersey.

Help me!

Posted by: ThinkingMan | September 10, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHA!!! I own a Lav Coles jersey as well..... at least I think I do. It's very possible I may have already thrown it away though. I have one even worse than that though, I had a Rod GARDNER jersey as well!!!! YOu can bet your a** I threw that piece of trash away.
HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: marleyb313 | September 10, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse