Route Running Is Kelly's Big Concern (Updated)

On the first play from scrimmage against the Pittsburgh Steelers, Malcolm Kelly broke free deep down the middle of the field. Quarterback Jason Campbell's pass hung up too long, providing Steelers All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu with enough time to close on the play and break up the pass.

But the play still was among the Redskins' positive developments Saturday night during a 17-13 victory at FedEx Field. After playing in only five games as a rookie and having microfracture knee surgery in the offseason, Kelly slowly has started to regain the form that helped him become a standout wide receiver at the University of Oklahoma.

Kelly was sure-handed and had shown the ability to make plays in the mid-range passing game in the opening preseason loss to the Baltimore Ravens. Against the Steelers, he showed a surprising burst of speed for a big wideout listed at 6-feet-4 and 227 pounds.

With a strong start to the preseason, Kelly has provided encouraging signs for Coach Jim Zorn. Kelly is getting closer to where he wants to be, he said, but the process is ongoing.

"Just working on the little things," said Kelly, who has five receptions for 47 yards in the preseason. "Running my routes, getting in and out of my breaks, just things like that. Coach [Zorn] tells me, 'You're going to make plays because of your natural ability. At the same time, if you're not in the exact spot you're supposed to be, sometimes that natural ability won't do you any good.' My route running is getting there. I'm not a long way off. I focus more on it now.

"At first, I just used to go out there and run routes in practice and didn't really know sometimes why the DBs were jumping on it. But now, I'm emphasizing it. Sometimes, there are things you don't practice, it just kind of happens. Sometimes it's just your reaction to something. If you're running a slant route, you just get inside the dude and shield him [from the ball]. When that happens now, I just kind of think about it more and remember it."

Kelly dropped to the second round (the Redskins selected him with the 51st overall pick) in the 2008 draft because of concerns about his knee. The Redskins also were aware of the potential problems before they selected Kelly, who said his knee held up well throughout training camp.

"When I'm on the field I don't think about it, but every day now I do a little maintenance," Kelly said. "There are things I didn't do last year, little strengthening things, to make sure that it stays good. It's a lot of stretching and doing quad sets. When you keep your quads strong, you keep your knee strong.

"I never did that before. Never. It's just like a part of practice for me now. It's just like a part of everyday life. It's just what I have to do. But it's work that's helped me. Ever since I first had my surgery, through OTAs and the offseason. It hasn't given me any problems. That's why."

Thanks, Fred

Dan Steinberg reports that the reason Marko Mitchell was flashing double L's Saturday night had nothing to do with calling someone a loser. It has everything to do with the nickname Fred Smoot bestowed on the rook.

By Jason Reid  |  August 24, 2009; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Moss Says Mitchell Was the Talk of Camp
Next: Brennan vs. Daniel: Who Would You Take?

Comments

Good stuff about Kelly. I think he's gonna have a good year, he's got great hands, from what I've seen.

That thrown from JC to open the game, was just bad from jump street. Too short, didn't lead Kelly enough, oh well...hope there is dramatic improvement against NE...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BREV1 | August 24, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad that Kelly is progressing and able to beat coverage, it's just a shame that with our current quarterback Kelly won't be utilized to his full potential. Hopefully by midseason, Collins will be in at starter and we can use Kelly more on deep routes.

Posted by: ronnieb1212 | August 24, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

I'm getting a good feeling about Kelly, Thomas, Davis. Hopefully they continue their progression. In the next game, I'm hoping they get Devin going. I'd like to see some bubble screens, and a go route or two thrown his way.

Posted by: TWISI | August 24, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse

With the tall guys getting the grabs in the game Saturday night, it makes me wonder how productive a starting lineup of Marko Mitchell and Malcolm Kelly would be, with Moss playing the slot in the three receiver formations.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 24, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 24, 2009 8:48 AM |

I've certainly had thoughts of Moss being in the slot. Even Devin.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 24, 2009 8:51 AM | Report abuse

beantown--You talk fooball trash with the people around you up there? You take it on the chin when the 'Skins lose? You got a lot of bonus points wagered with 'em on this game, or is it just for braggin' rights?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | August 24, 2009 8:47 AM

Good feelings is about all you can have at this point. Jason, with Zorn's playcalling, doesn't keep the offense on the field long enough for anyone to make plays, much less points.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

te, yeah the playcalling was a little off as well the other night, I liked the attempts to go down the field, but that screen to Portis was just awful...

I work with mostly pats fans te, I'm not saying that I might have enjoyed Tom being out for the year, but maybe I enjoyed that too much....I'm sure they'll let me know how well the pats should do this year.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure most everyone has had a chance to vent about/discuss Saturday's game. So I hope not to bore anyone more than usual or stir up anything hacked to death already.

First - good win. Any win at this point is a good one. Nice to see the newbs putting some heart into it. GREAT to see the O Line play a full game well, backups and starters. The sweep inside the 20 was inspiring. I got outta my seat. The D was solid, newbs there played well too. Nice to see a turnover on ST.
HAIL

Now, here are some things still worried about: Soup - WTF?!? You had the time. Now complete a damn pass. He was ALL OVER the freakin' place. I swear, the man has no handle in reality. If this is indicitive of how he plans to run this O, hope he has his bags half packed. Sure, Zorn has to give him any positive support he can, but he better be scared too. After all, his job is in the balance too.

No points on the long drive?! For shame. Zorn, how could you possibly think those plays were a given to go in? If you going to run straight in that low, you gotta go jumbo. THAT's a given. Very disappointing play calling & execution.

Agreeing w/ Blache - starting D was SOFT! I'm not too worried about the Batch/Rothlisberger comparison. We held Roth up last year only to get trounced by Leftwich. Overall D pressure was AWESMOE!!
Oh, and STOP using Durdy30 as a passrusher/runstopper. HE NEEDS TO BE HITTING RECEIVERS. That should be his primary purpose, speed be damned.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

On Zorn's playcalling, if it were Gibbs we'd be giving him a pass: "He's going plain vanilla. He doesn't want to show his offense in pre-season." If it were Spurrier, he would have won both games and shown his entire offense. Maybe Zorn's trying to be more like Gibbs and less like Spurrier?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1 I was at the game, and believe me both screen pass plays had no chance. The throw that was really bad was the third down one to Moss that was high. Moss had 10 YAC on that one. Interestingly enough, on the first deep ball to Kelly, Moss had come WIDE open on the crossing route about 15-20 yards down field. I understand the skins wanting to get/giving a look at the ball, but I would hope that JC would have gotten Moss the ball on that one during the regular season.

Posted by: TWISI | August 24, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Oh - and Colt vs. Chase

Obviously Chase was ON (our only QB to be so, it seems). As it stands now, Chase would need to be ahead of Colt.

But I really see this as a matter of rookie bravado. Colt had it last year, Chase has it this year. Let's see what the next two games prove.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Marko! Who cares when/where they were drafted, Playas Play!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

if only it were, so cL.

"Pay the position, not the player!"

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

twis, JC is still throwing high on some of his throws, and thats concerning, no more concerning I guess than the fits, and starts in which the offense runs with him at the helm........

sigh...'its only preseason'..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

talent_evaluator,
I agree you don't show your hand in preseason, but something as simple as a goal line offense on the goal line is nothing special. Most teams don't run their complete package in pre-season, but they move the ball successfully, probably because the defense is plan vanilla as well. The first team has not moved the ball well. Even the one drive that ended in a field goal continued because of a fake punt. Campbell's lack of completions is a matter of HUGE concern.

AND, just because I like to take shots at Zorn... Wasn't he somewhat regarded as a QB developer when he came to the Redskins? So, how come Campbell and Brennan look worse after a year under his tutelage?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 24, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Several things were clear from watching the game a second time. Campbell still holds the ball WAY TOO low (down around his waist), adds a hop-step before the throw, and pats the ball before releasing it. When he throws deep, he puts so much air under the ball that any distance the receiver may have gotten on the defender is gone. He can't anticipate the throw, he has to see the opening before he can let go of the ball, so when going through his progression, he either can't figure out where to go with the ball or the ball ends up going where the receiver was rather than where he's going.

He got lucky that the throw to Moss was so high the receiver couldn't get his hands on it. If he had tipped it the ball would have been picked.

Campbell seems to lack the football smarts to see the play and get the offense moving. I'm not suggesting the team has any other options at QB. What I am saying is, Campbell is out of excuses. The receivers were getting open, the line was blocking, the running game was moving the team, and Campbell is running the same offense he ran last year. He just doesn't seem equipped to make it work.

Another observation from the game: Are Theismann and his sidekick payed by Snyder or NBC4? It seemed as though they had been given talking points by the team. The restraint shown when talking about Campbell, and the effusive praise of Tryon (despite the fact that the second year corner had to play 15 yards off the receivers in order to ensure they didn't get behind him). Even when Collins was in, the praise they showered on him was embarrassing. Collins has little zip left on his passes.

Brennen looked okay, right up until he forced the throw and got picked.

Kelly should be the number two receiver. Thomas only seems to have straight-line speed, he plays slow otherwise. And he doesn't do the kinds of things you need to do to be a starter, like come back to the ball. Kelly, on the other hand, goes after that ball. He isn't very fast, but competes on every play.

DJ Hacket should hang them up.

Posted by: tkoho | August 24, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Here's a question: how long is the rope on JC17? How many games does he get to SJK-up before they pull the string on him?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cindy Boren | August 24, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 9:33 AM

Until the skins are out of playoff contention.

Posted by: TWISI | August 24, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

So, it seems our final wide receiver spot is between Mitchell and Hackett. Why are we only hearing that Mitchell must improve on ST's? Hackett also has no pedigree at the position, and Mitchell has shown more in preseason and has more upside.

Sign Mitchell!

Also, the OL has been a pleasant suprise. Is it due to taking the onus of making blocking adjustments off of JC or just that we currently have our full complement of starters? Praying for health; perhaps the OL will be above average this year.

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | August 24, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Caboose:

"Why don't you try walking on your HANDS!? Then you can use your feet for 'hi-fives', eatin' sandwiches.. and ... ukno - the important stuff"

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 9:46 AM | Report abuse

dik, good question, I'd actually like to see how Collins does with the 1st stringers, to get a better feel for that. Seems like when he comes in the game, the offense has some spark, has some efficiency to it.

I think if by game #6, the team is at .500, and the offense is struggling, then there has to be something done, a change need to be made......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Ah yes, we've now gone from Colt Brennan to Chase Daniel as the top option at QB, moved Marko Mitchell to the #2 WR spot, and even demoted Santana Moss to the slot.

You've gotta love preseason.

Posted by: psps23 | August 24, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle

I think you have to give him the whole year, there is just not an option behind him that would be worth starting instead. Barring a trade that brings in a clear upgrade at QB, you have to start him, even if he is struggling.

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | August 24, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

"Pay the position, not the player!"

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 9:25 AM

Boring. Anybody got MARTY S. EMAIL ADD?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Just sayin....

Cutler puts on a show in Chicago
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 23, 2009 3:31 PM ET
If the city of Chicago wasn't excited about the Jay Cutler era already, Saturday's preseason performance against the Giants should do the trick.

One week after struggling in his Bears debut, Cutler led Chicago to scores on their first three drives. The numbers were great (8-of-13, 121 yards and a TD), but how Cutler achieved them was more impressive.

He rifled in a 27-yard pass between two defenders to Earl Bennett, just before taking a massive hit. He completed another throw on the run into a tight window, again to his collee teammate Bennett. Cutler made first downs with his legs, and he showed off his deep touch with a teardrop 39-yard completion to Devin Aromashodo.

The highlights are all available on NFL.com, and they show off his full arsenal of talents in a way that will make Denver fans ache and Chicago fans giddy.

Maybe too giddy.

Following Cutler's performance, the Chicago Sun-Times has an article writing that Cutler is worth an Eli Manning-level contract. Another said it was Christmas in August, calling Cutler a "gift" that "seemed so confident and adept at the quarterback position that he really didn't appear to be a Bear."

Cutler's big night even one-upped Kyle Orton's rebound game. The two can settle their three-round preseason sparring match in Denver next Sunday night.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"You've gotta love preseason."

You've got to love blogs. You can say any outlandish thing that pops into your head. For instance, people wanting to cut Kelly last year. Where are you people?

With every new play a new opinion is born.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 24, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Cindy,

Why do you keep pimping Steinberg's stuff? What is his job, anyway? I've got to think that with belt-tightening in the print media he will be gone soon.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

So are all the people that are/were for Colt Brennan to start now on the Chase Daniel bandwagon? I mean he did throw 2 TDs against 3rd and 4th stringers just like Colt!!

Posted by: wstclair | August 24, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Sign Mitchell!

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | August 24, 2009 9:40 AM

Huh? He is signed. If he weren't signed, he wouldn't be in uniform.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

I mean he did throw 2 TDs against 3rd and 4th stringers just like Colt!!

Posted by: wstclair | August 24, 2009 9:57 AM

You must have left the game early. Colt threw an INT against 3rd and 4th stringers.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Cindy,

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 9:57 AM |

talent_evaluator = no_talent_evaluator

Posted by: TLoad | August 24, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Looking at Football Outsiders' comparison of O-lines, the Skins are projecting as slightly less effective at run blocking, and slightly better at pass blocking, as a result of their offseason moves. With an overall rating of 'mediocre', Washington is in a group with Dallas, the Bengals, the Rams, Tampa, and Minnesota. Before last season the Skins were rated 'poor' in terms of durability, and that turned out to be exactly right. This year they're rated as 'fair' (two steps up).

The season is basically a war of attrition. If Samuels and Thomas can play, we'll be pretty good. If one or both goes out, then somebody has to step up, big time.

Ironically, two teams who earned an overall 'poor' rating for their O-lines (along with the Lions) are Arizona and Pittsburgh. Go figure.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I've been a JC supporter, but man that first pass of the game was a touchdown, instead Campbell underthrows the ball and put it on the wrong shoulder. Kelly had Troy beat easy. Theisman then blamed it on being a wet ball. His other deep ball to Santana was again thrown almost out of bounds on the wrong shoulder, giving him no chance to make play. I guess the ball was still wet. On the WR's why is it even being debated about whether to keep Marko. If the guy is lighting up all of our DB's in practice, then sign him. He can straight ball. 7th round? Who gives a $#$@. Marques Colston anyone?

Posted by: Skins281 | August 24, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"With every new play a new opinion is born.
Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who"

LOL well said. The fires stoked by the professional over-reactors in the media.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

who cares what JC's numbers were. We marched right down the field. We needed 1 completion to convert a third down and that's what we got. That hand off to Betts was a play call that I hope we would never see in the regular season, or at least not until we establish something in the red zone.

If you want a guy to hit the deep ball you give him some reps. That is what preseason is for. I was glad to see the calls and am not worried about the near misses. Even missing can strectch a defense and those were pretty safe throws.

So, how are all you Colt lovers holding up now that Chase looked about as good as Colt did last year, during scrub time? And, Colt looked like crap, again. Are you guys starting to figure it out?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 24, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

"I've been a JC supporter, but man that first pass of the game was a touchdown, instead Campbell underthrows the ball and put it on the wrong shoulder. Kelly had Troy beat easy. Theisman then blamed it on being a wet ball. His other deep ball to Santana was again thrown almost out of bounds on the wrong shoulder, giving him no chance to make play"

This came up on ESPN. Jurgenson said he didn't understand Zorn's point about hitting the receiver. Sonny's take was that the most you can do is get the ball over the defender so the receiver has a reasonable shot at catching it. I suppose there are QBs in the league who can adjust to the way the WR turns his head, but not many. It's the receiver who has to make the adjustment on that play.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

We needed 1 completion to convert a third down and that's what we got.

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 24, 2009 10:09 AM

I thought that we failed to convert a third down and that we needed a fake punt to convert a fourth down?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Dik,
I think it depends on the W/L after week 4 or 6.

if the team is 0-4 or 0-6 and its clearly JC's fault, then he is gone. But if he somehow is averaging 250 yds a game and has a positive TD/Int count.

I don't see him playing this bad in the regular season. And I watched the Giants game this weekend (I was in NY). They have some holes in that D.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 24, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Huh? He is signed. If he weren't signed, he wouldn't be in uniform.

Posted by: talent_evaluator

I figured that would sound better than...

Make sure Lanky Livingston makes the 53 over Hackett, due to his pass catching acumen!!

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | August 24, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"Sign Mitchell! Posted by: OffseasonChamps
"Huh? He is signed. If he weren't signed, he wouldn't be in uniform.Posted by: talent_evaluator"

I think he meant Margaret Mitchell.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"The fires stoked by the professional over-reactors in the media."

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 24, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

al, seemed to me that Chicago ran up and down the field on them.

te, fake punt, completed 3rd down pass...its the same thing isn't it??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I should have said just like Colt last year. That is what I was talking about. Yea cause he hasn't looked so great this pre-season huh?

Posted by: wstclair | August 24, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Aren't Colt & Chase pretty much the same guy a year apart.

Liked the comment about Zorn destroying the QBs he's gotten his hands on.. lol. Maybe it's just the NFL, tho.

Even the Soup supporters have to be a little scared after saTURDay.

& T_E, he did illustrate my point, did he not?

And stop making the point that someone did it against 3rd & 4th stringers... If they were put in against starters, we'd see how they do there. It's not their fault they don't get to do that.

Another problem w/ the 'expanded season' crap - the days of the scrimage are gone. Those games used to be of great value to the teams and now they're history.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know COLT B email ADD ?
Here's the video of the great kelly catch !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 24, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Why did Kelly say this about JC on CC after the game ?

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 24, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I think he meant Margaret Mitchell.

Posted by: Samson151

Hopefully that won't be a harbinger of our playoff chances this year...

Posted by: OffseasonChamps | August 24, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

psps23,
Sounds like you are jumping to conclusions about the fans jumping to conclusions about the media jumping to conclusions.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 24, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

"I've certainly had thoughts of Moss being in the slot. Even Devin.Posted by: scampbell1975"

Lots of teams put their best receiver in the slot at times. To get the mismatch. It works provided the defense doesn't recognize and react.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Why do they keep talking about Marko Mitchell as the fifth receiver? It sounds like he's having a bigger impact than Kelly or Thomas or ARE. Maybe they should give those guys a quick course in special teams?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 6:51 AM | Report

I was going to say the exact same thing TE. If he doesn't make the team because of special teams play and he doesn't have a strong background in special teams play, then why the hell bring him in? He has made the team based on his performance as a receiver which I believe is what he was listed as when they drafted him. I think Danny Smith needs a crash course on special teams!!

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Some Skins fantasy talk:

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Thats funny because IMO they should cut Betts to make room for Mason and Dorsey. We should keep Portis, Cartwright, Mason and Dorsey. Seniority is killing this team. Keep the guys who can help the most. Not the guys who are un-dynamic but safe bets because they were here already and you know what they can do.

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Aren't Colt & Chase pretty much the same guy a year apart.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 10:17 AM

I would say Chase did more on Saturday (efficiency-wise) than Colt did all last preseason. And Chase has way more mobility...I still can't believe that long run he ripped off. And even if Colt completed every pass attempt and threw for 5 TDs last preseason, he's looked like hot mess this year and is one more solid Chase performance away from being on the practice squad (or the street). I don't wanna get too excited about Chase, but it's hard to ignore the fact that he's the only QB to throw a TD for DC this year.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

...might as well...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

If it wasn't for CP26, the 1st drive would have no drive.

I'll give Campbell one more game. If he falters this game like he did the last 2 preseaon games, He will fall under the Patrick Ramsey/Gibbs 2.2 season.

You remember that season. 'Patrick Ramsey will be Our Starting QB Irregardless.'

F all that 'Its preseaon' mumbo jumbo. I see all the other top QBs in the league having atleast 2, and sometimes 3 very good drives.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I don't really have a problem getting rid of Colt for Chase, even tho I like Colt.

One game does not a career make, but if Colt don't turn it around in the next two, it pretty much does.

I have to say, what I liked of Colt last year has not been on display this.

Chase was burnin'. And the only QB with urgency. Then again, he was on the block.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"Tis the world we live in. Makes it rather hard to have stability within an organization though, which breeds a winning tradition.Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who"

That's exactly right.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I don't see him playing this bad in the regular season.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 24, 2009 10:14 AM

Why not? I didn't see him playing this badly in any game this year. It's his contract year.

If he doesn't get it together, I'm expecting a lot of "It's Snyderrato's fault. They destroyed JC's confidence in the offseason." Just like "Steve Spurrier ruined Patrick Ramsey." Snderrato lit a fire under this guy and he should be burning like that li'l shorty on the dance floor. Somebody call 911!

I'm hoping JC will get on track, but don't understand why he's started off so slowly. His numbers speak for themselves. Or, whisper for themselves.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget Betts looked pretty good on the drive too.

Maybe we can trade Betts for a solid Fullback backup. I was peein' my pants when Caveman went down.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

PFT.com is reporting Mike S. is wating in the wings for the skins JOB.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 24, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"I see all the other top QBs in the league having atleast 2, and sometimes 3 very good drives."

The guys on defense get paid too. Don't get it twisted...Skins O needs to play better, but the Steelers and Ravens aren't exactly average defensive ballclubs.

Preseason = madness

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 24, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Samson wrote,
+++++++++++++++++++++

Samson..good point.. The more media outlets (radio, web, cable) Snyder purchases..the softer the local analysts get.. cause and effect..
BMitch spoke his mind.. and soon had to update his Resume..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 24, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget Betts looked pretty good on the drive too.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 10:31 AM

Who cares how he ran the ball !Time for Betts to move on.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 24, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

BMitch spoke his mind.. and soon had to update his Resume..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 24, 2009 10:34 AM

"mind" and "BMitch" don't belong in the same sentence. What BMitch spoke was his attitude. Or gut.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

All this jibba jabba 'bout the quarterback, but no mention of the tackling prowess displayed by safety Lendy Holmes.

He was wrapping up Steelers like the night before Christmas and there's still 123 days left on the clock before Santa streaks across the midnight sky with Rudolf, Dasher, Danzer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, and Prancer.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 24, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

" would say Chase did more on Saturday (efficiency-wise) than Colt did all last preseason. And Chase has way more mobility. posted by brownwood"

I like Chase, and he may well be a better QB than Colt. But look, he's probably not even 6'. He has good mobility rather than great speed (4.9 in the 40) and his arm strength is nothing special. He excels in situations where he can improvise rather than execute a disciplined play. That's partly why he looks good in preseason, when there's no game plan to learn. Same is true of Colt, who's a couple inches taller.

Daniel may be as good as Brennan, but do you really see either as a potential starter? I can't see it.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Wait, so Lendy is a Reindeer?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I was peein' my pants when Caveman went down.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 10:31 AM

----------

You too?

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 24, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Lots of overreacting here. Seems pretty obvious to me that if JC gets off to a slow start, we can just trade Betts for Mark Sanchez.

Posted by: TotallyTacos | August 24, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

"Samson wrote: I've been a JC supporter, but man that first pass of the game was a touchdown, instead Campbell underthrows the ball ....Theisman then blamed it on being a wet ball."

That wasn't me. Somebody else's opinion.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

No Lendy is NOT a reindeer.

but what I should have said was "there are still 123 days left before Santa runs his precise route across the midnight sky," instead of "streaks across the midnight sky."

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 24, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Thoughts from the game:
-- Chase Daniel looked pretty good. The Skins haven't had mobility like that at QB, maybe ever. Dude looks like he's got the moxie and the intangibles to be a good QB IN THE LONG RUN. I won't be one of the lunatics looking to unseat JC with an undrafted rookie, but I will say that with some work, he could be Doug Flutie 2.0.
-- Marko Mitchell WILL make this roster. If he can do at WR what Chris Horton did at safety last year, one of the Skins biggest weaknesses could actually become a strength.
-- I'm not freaking out about JC's performance at all...it's the regular season games that count. I've seen All-Pros struggle in the preseason and turn it on like a light come Week 1. Not saying JC is an All-Pro, but I think he'll still be good.
That's all I noticed from the bits and pieces of the game Saturday, but I'll be watching it in its entirety today at 4 on NFLN.
Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 6:31 AM

Pretty much sums up what I was thinking as well. Would only add that our starting defense needs to actually finish off some sacks and get some turnovers. Supposedly Haynesworth played “great” but I didn’t see much direct impact….maybe it’s more about making the other guys better. Orakpo looks like a BEAST.

If someone was upset about Thiesmann and Patrick sounding like apologists/homers, then you should watch the Minnesota/KC game the next time NFLN shows the re-run……I think that draft guru Mike Maycock was doing the color commentary…..farve went something like 1 for 8 with a bunch of bad throws/read…..Maycock was explaining that come reg season, these are all completions, the receivers ran wrong this, reacted to the throw wrong, blah blah blah…..the way he explained everything and hyped favre, you would think favre went 12 for 12 for 250yds and 2 td’s……

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 24, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Malcolm Kelly on doing "quad sets" to strengthen his knee.

"I never did that before. Never."

Is this kid for reals? He had never before done any work in the weight room on his legs?

My gawd, the youth these days!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 24, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I was peein' my pants when Caveman went down.
Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 10:31 AM
----------
You too?
Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 24, 2009 10:41 AM

I’m thinking maybe he was writhing around in pain like that in order to make the FO pee their pants and re-think how much he’s worth to the team in regards of his contract……the way he was acting at first, I thought his career was over…..maybe it’s just me. But I am VERY glad it isn’t a serious injury.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 24, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Betts is not a playmaker. he needs to go to make room for some playmakers. Dorsey and Mason. We still have Rock if we need him to run the ball in the event Portis goes down. I don't like all this talk about Betts being our 3rd down guy. If thats the case, theres gonna be another big turnover next year. I just hope our current guys that are good fit the new system. YAWN

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"Thats funny because IMO they should cut Betts to make room for Mason and Dorsey. We should keep Portis, Cartwright, Mason and Dorsey"

Post of the Day.......brilliant. Take a position with depth, and turn it into a position of no depth. Super-duper.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 10:40 AM

Lots of undrafted guys have made it in this league. I could see Chase being like Doug Flutie if he gets the right situation. So I wouldn't prefer him as a starter, but it's possible.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

"Preseason = madness

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who"

No, madness is that that 'flicted goblin Hire Marty S...

Posted by: frak | August 24, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

dikshuttle

"Oh - and Colt vs. Chase"

I'm sorry, there's no comparison.

I watched the replay of an '07 OU v. Mizzou game (Sam Bradford, M Kelly played for OU and Daniels, J Maclin Mizzou)and Daniels played very well against top notch competition.

Thing is, Brennan's last college game against LSU exposed his arm (yes, he was injured) and with this being in his second year on an NFL roster, his play whould be improved.

And it isn't.

Add Marko Mitchell and Chase Daniels to the roster, please: and if Collins is ineffective in the event of a Campbell injury, let Daniels keep the spot should he get healthy.

I think the kid can play.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 24, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

but the Steelers and Ravens aren't exactly average defensive ballclubs.

Preseason = madness

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 24, 2009 10:33 AM

The Steelers D played base nearly the whole game...

2005 - Ramsey played poorly all preseason while Brunell proved efficient....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

MK needs to shut his trap.

The more he speaks, the less inclined I am to purchase his jersey.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 24, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

That wasn't me. Somebody else's opinion.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

The words Campbell SUPPORTER and wet balls shouldn't be used in the same sentence

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

only to be trumped by:

"Betts is not a playmaker. he needs to go to make room for some playmakers. Dorsey and Mason. We still have Rock if we need him to run the ball in the event Portis goes down"

Just to clarify, Dorsey/Mason are playmakers, and Rock is an adequate replacement for Portis.

Nice......

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

KELLY HAS IMPROVED ROUTE RUNNING HERE'S SOME PRACTICE VIDEO.

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 24, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Redskins Fan Nation Mantra of the day:

Blah, blah, blah, everything is horrible, blah, blah, receivers can't run, blah, JC belongs in little league, blah, blah, I wanna sleep with Brady and Coughlin, blah, blaah, start Colt, blah, blah, Skins 2-14 in 2009 because JC sucks, blah, blah, the end is near, blah

blah

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 24, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Someone is peeing in the punchbowl again...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 24, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

HIRE_MARTY_S
You are a 1 trick pony get over yourself.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 24, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

peaceful2008 = hire_marty_ s

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 24, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm begining to think that we have no depth @ RB. After CP, Betts always get injured and Rock should never get on the field on Offense. If Ladell continues to get injured, we shouldn't count him as dependable....

Based on that, cut/trade Ladell and insert MAson/Dorsey. (MAkes sense Greg?)

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Bean, I hear ya. and I'm not saying Rock would be a good replacement for Portis. I'm just saying that Betts hasn't demonstrated since 2006 that he can be either and we need some playmakers. i see Mason getting yardage, good yardage running the ball. I see Dorsey with a good return average. We need players who produce and thats all I meant

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Redskins Fan Nation Mantra-part deux:

so and so can't catch, blah, so and so can't throw, blah, blah, JC needs to be jailed blaaah, blah, Zorn can't type, blah, blah.

Blah, blah, snyder, blah, cerrato, blah money, blah season tickets.

Blah, blah Colt, blah bring the entire 'Ginas offense here blah

Posted by: peaceful2008 | August 24, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Rock has to stay for the moment because of STs....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 10:49 AM

Seriously, did Betts bang your wife or something?

Of all the backs on the roster, he's got the most experience and he's BY FAR the most accomplished (save for Portis, of course). And right now coaches are saying he's had a great camp. I fail to see where he needs to be replaced by a couple of undrafted "just-a-guys".

And what NFL are YOU watching? Not a lot of teams have playmakers STARTING at RB, much less stockpiling 2 or 3 in reserve. Instead of complaining about the backup, just be glad you've got one as a starter.

Cutting Betts for undrafted slappies = Benching Campbell for Colt/Collins/Chase

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 10:58 AM

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 24, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Good, got through 2-a-days without any bad injuries..O-line looks better than anticipated and the receiving crew is startin to rawk..Haynesworth consumed massive quantities of Steeler o-line and Orakpo startin to shine..Reasons To Be Cheerful!!! (now, shaddup, peaceful..)

Posted by: frak | August 24, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Quick question on the rules of "wedges" in the kick off, I saw the giants using a 2 man wedge against the bears is that legal?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 24, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Furthermore, the reason we need to keep Rock is his special teams play. But Mason is like Marko. he needs to make the team because he is more effective than some of the dead weight we have listed as backup RB. I don't recall Betts playing ST either.So Keep Rock and Dorsey as backups at RB because of their play at ST and Mason because of his running ability. We need playmakers not 3 yard avg guys

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Mason is tied with me, Dorsey, and the easter bunny for career rushing yards.......

Scott, you say that Betts hasn't demonstrated this since 2006, but WHEN HAS MASON EVER demonstrated this??

Lets look at his career numbers during the regular season:

Carries

Yards

Catches

TD

And no this is not fill in the blanks.....there is NO body of work to base anything on....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

"Not a lot of teams have playmakers STARTING at RB, much less stockpiling 2 or 3 in reserve. "

Brownie, you may want to rethink this as two starter quality backs is a league trend. Not sure this statement holds up after scrutiny.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I saw the giants using a 2 man wedge against the bears is that legal?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 24, 2009 11:03 AM

If either was carrying a concealed weapon it's 24 months in prison plus an undetermined league suspension. So, as long as they didn't get caught...

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, did Betts bang your wife or something?

UH, I love the Redskins and yes I'm feeling F%$*ed by having a washed up injury prone guy kept in favor of a change of speed playmaker. seriously, are you saying you're comfortable counting on him? and BTW forget about in the event that CP goes down, how about just having somebody who can actually run the ball coming in when Portis needs a breather instead of DRIVE KILLER BETTS. I used to love the guy, but he's done. Did he get you your FIRST piece or something ??!!

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I don't recall Betts playing ST either...

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 11:04 AM

Wow...you really do have it in for Betts, huh? Dude was definitely the kick returner here before Rock was. Greg, come get this guy...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

whoah!

I'm not saying Betts is bad, quite the opposite! He looked better than I was expecting on Saturday. And that's great.

Now - who do we have if/when Caveman goes down?! (ps - a bruise can be a season ender.. ask Shaq).

Given the promise of the other backups available, could we get a good Fullback for Betts? Maybe even a 2nd round pick to boot?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I would be pro-replacing betts. Just next year with a 4th or 5th round draft pick, after we get some OT's & OG's with the 1st few 3 picks.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 24, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

"So Keep Rock and Dorsey as backups at RB because of their play at ST and Mason because of his running ability. We need playmakers not 3 yard avg guys "

Just curious -- what makes you think Rock and Dorsey are playmakers at RB? And Mason sure looks like a 3 yard average guy to me.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Please refrain from using the acronym "ST."

It's one letter short of a rather unpleasant reference.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 24, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

brown, I mean, what can you say, about a guy who thinks that Mason/Dorsey are legit options.

Call me when Mason gets a carry during a regular season game....The Redskins, Jets, and Ravens thought so much of him that he didn't get a SINGLE carry while on those teams last year....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2009 11:08 AM

He said "playmakers". AP is a playmaker. LT is a playmaker. A guy who can make a play to change the complexion of the game. Those guys aren't as prevalent as you may think.

Lots of teams have a two back system or have a couple of effective runners. But I wouldn't necessarily call them "playmakers".

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"The Steelers D played base nearly the whole game..."

and the Skins showcased their entire playbook?

"2005 - Ramsey played poorly all preseason while Brunell proved efficient...."

Who has proved efficient so far? Doesn't the tasty drink have 2 picks, 0 tds and no points at all?

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 24, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"Among the players competing for the fifth wideout spot, Mitchell would be the runaway favorite if he had a strong background on special teams."--RI

Teams need players, but if both Moss and Portis are yakking up this guy, and the DB's can't cover him--he's made the team, period.

NO WAY he can be stashed on practice squad. He could suffer a
IR "injury," but he's got the potential to be the next Colston

Posted by: TheCork | August 24, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I hope Betts proves me wrong. I will definetly be the first to acknowledge it. I just don't think you can count on the guy to make it thru the season and be effective. Glad to see a little emotion in here tho.

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I knew bean would come here today STILL hatin' on Mason.

You keep talking about how he has the same career stats as you -- LOL -- I guess we should also cut Orakpo too, eh?

Whatever man... Mason suasion 4 Life...

Posted by: RedDMV | August 24, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

"Todd Collins hasn’t shown me anything since the end of the 2007 season to show that he can come in and replace JC as the starter in a regular season game. Maybe we should package him in with the Betts trade.
Posted by: dlhaze1"

Maybe he hasn't shown you anything because he hasn't got on the field -- with a real game plan and everything. And I don't know that he'd have any value as a trade, because of his age. He's about at the end of his career.

You know where he has value? Washington.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

So I do understand all the Thomas bashing, and the Kelly bashing of the past. Both were taking as saviors for the offense, big fast guys who could help stretch the field (in Thomas's case) and a tall possession guy who could move the chains and be a reliable option (Kelly), and so far neither have really panned out in those roles. However, if you look at many wrs in the league, it is their 3RD year when they finally break out and realize how to play.

While it is frustrating that neither produced...anything... last year, it is impossible to say that either are true busts yet. I am getting really sick of people saying that it is time to give up on Thomas, claiming that he is "not a gamer." He is in his second year, and to be honest its more like his first since last year he didn't really take this stuff seriously... lets give the kid some time and see if hes still making the same mistakes next year can we? Can we please stop all this instant gratification shi* sjk... can we for once let a player take his time to develop and stop expecting them to be great from the minute we acquire them??? Thanks

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 24, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Betts doesn't play ST anymore that I can think of? He prob does some backup.

The Facts: Betts is 30 has done nothing in this league save for some fill in appearance when Portis was sidelined.

Betts, though on the roster, has had only 1 (good) memory. When he ran that TD back against TB on the Kick Return.

HIS WHOLE CAREER. That's it. End of story. Get the Dead weight off the 53 and put in some frsh blood.

Don't be afriad Cerrato/Zorn. Keep Mason/Dorsey and Marko (takes Thrash's spot) and cut Betts.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Ok brownie, I rank that distinction right up there with the "it" thing with QBs...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 24, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Maybe the pass was held up by all the floating particulate matter suspended in the damp air from the pre-game fireworks show.

Most deep balls early tend to go long because of adrenaline.

Posted by: TheCork | August 24, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Mason has the speed burst that both Betts, CP, and Rock lack.

Speed is good.

Give the man some carries (at least one, which is more than he's ever had) in the regular season, and he won't let us down.

Plus, the guy has paid his dues with the practice squad. Mason deserves a chance, and we need what he brings to the table.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 24, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

red, so based on your logic, #13 overall pick in the draft = undrafted free agent??

wha??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm just saying you need a punt returner - you need room for Dorsey. You need a kick returner and special team playmaker - Gotta keep Rock. We don't have a change of speed running back and tell me what BETTS stats are the last couple of years?? Nuff said

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I swear Marcus Mason must have slept with bean and brown sister's, knocked them up, and refused to claim the child as his own the way you two constantly hate on the boy.

So if he gets major work against the Patriots and Jags (assuming he'll take some carries against first and second stringers), and produces, what will be your excuses then?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 24, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Mason and Dorsey make the 52.

Speed is good...

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 24, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

dikshuttle

"Oh - and Colt vs. Chase"

I'm sorry, there's no comparison.

And it isn't.

I think the kid can play.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 24, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Colts last game was against UGA i believe, diffrent SEC team, and yes afterward he had to get hip surgery after he got sacked around 8 times I think.
Daniels showed a lot more for me out of college then Colt ever did, think daniles would be a much better option going foward.
MARKO MITCHELL executed an endzone fade pattern something ive wanted to see for the last decade. if that dude dont make the team I will be pissed.

Posted by: Stu27 | August 24, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

whoah!

****************

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 24, 2009 11:12 AM

So....HE looked great when he couldn't convert on that 3rd & 1 from the 2 yard line?

Seriously, I really don't think you guys watched that 1st drive. The drive wouldn't be SJK w/o Rock's run a CP's legs...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 24, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Why is JLF haten on a national LEVEL !

Posted by: HIRE_MARTY_S | August 24, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

53 is Leigh Torrence's spot, that much has been established.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 24, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 11:11 AM

First of all, I earn my own pussy. Always have.

Back to football...I seem to remember a guy wearing #46 rushing for 1100+ yards a couple years back after CP got hurt. Coulda sworn his name was Ladell Betts. Look it up.

And neither one of us can say that he's still that guy 3 years later because he's not had the opportunities since then.

But remember this: most RBs need multiple carries to get into a rhythm. Betts' style of play requires him to get 15-20 carries to be effective. There aren't many RBs out there that can contribute significantly with only 5 carries.

But I'm sure that makes too much sense to you. Why put in an experienced veteran who can contribute on 3rd down and special teams when you can put in an undrafted slappy who can't even run with the starters in the preseason?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | August 24, 2009 11:23 AM

None. I would love for some younger guys to step up to the forefront. But they have to EARN IT. I'm opposed to cutting established vets for undrafted slappies simply because they're younger. Unless you're rebuilding (which the Redskins REFUSE to do), that's not wise.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 24, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

wha??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 24, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

James Harrison - UFA - also defensive Player of the Year and Super Bowl Hero for WORLD CHAMPION STEELERS. UR right BEANER, why do we bother with guys who can play when we have guys who COULD PLAY A FEW YEARS AGO.

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

brownwood and beantown,

Did you guys watch the game? I watched it twice. Mason is a better runner of the football than Betts and Cartwright. He has better field vision, he's quicker to the hole, and faster in open space. If hole isn't there, he puts his head down and makes something out of nothing. Betts does not make quick decisions and he's not particularly fast. Mason is a the scatback this team craves. His problem is that he doesn't play special teams.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 24, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

beeps.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 24, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

BMitch spoke his mind.. and soon had to update his Resume..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 24, 2009 10:34 AM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 24, 2009 10:38 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"mind and BMitch dont belong in the same sentence"???
Talent Evaluator..... Easy big guy.. Not sure where you're coming from with that statement but I gotta respond for many different reasons.....

Mitch has an IQ in the 200 range.. Was a double Bio Chem major with nearly a 4.0 GPA and was recruited in school by DuPont and other Chem and Pharm corporations calling constantly... almost as fiercely as the NFL out of college.

Even blew Gibby away his first season when he memorized the playbook for Defense and Offense.

So I would say "mind" and "BMitch" fit well in the same sentence..

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 24, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

bean, you know what I'm saying... stop playing clueless.

Betts every year is hyped up as "the under the radar" dude, and every year he does sh**! I mean, what is your infatuation with Ladell f'n Betts?

And don't tell me, he doesn't get enough carries. Betts gets carries and you know what happens? He gets stoned at the LOS or gets a bs 2 or 3 yard gain. What is so irreplaceable about that? And shame on you for using Betts' stats from 2006... to paraphrase you: that was TWO years ago!

For all the hatred you display about past acquaintances or past facts and stats, you sure do use Betts' numbers in 2006 as a reason why he shouldn't be cut. Again: That was TWO years ago!

And Rock Cartwright? Well you can't pull stats from TWO years ago on this dude, so what is your excuse of why he should be kept? His all universe like special team stats?

The Redskins need to start the youth movement, and guys like Dorsey and Mason are hungry, damn near starving. Let the youngins' eat...

Posted by: RedDMV | August 24, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Well hell Brownwood. What was I thinking. Based on your logic and what guys have done years ago. Why are we even having this conversation?? We oughta just bring Riggo back cuz he had way better numbers long ago..

The reason he hasn't had opportunities is because he is always HURT and INEFFECTIVE. What team have you been watching the last 2 years??

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

nicely done skinsneedaGM... first intelligent thing i've seen you write... wow well done sir

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 24, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

brownwood and beantown,

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 24, 2009 11:30 AM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Betts has a larger Contract and has been a great investment for Snyder.. He probably stays over Mason if its either or...

To Repost...

Why are other NFL franchises more successful than the Skins in personnel development??

The Pats (who I am not a fan of since spygate) are a good example of how a team should be built and remain competitive.

They play the better player, not the size of their Contract.

I think Snyder is the driver for this Redskin modus operandi...... Its a classic business case of "return on investment".. And Snyder wants his ROI...
Thats why Collins didnt start last year (makes about one tenth of JC)... Even though he was clearly the better QB.

Pats HC Belichick always states in the media, that the player that "wins" practice, plays on Sunday. Regardless of Contract size.
This is why the Pats always uncover and develop new talent.... Belichick learned this when he was Parcell's assistant.. And look what Parcell's has done the last 18 months with the Dolphins...same approach.

And it is probably why Redskin's players never seem to show the same passion as other teams... Why try to succeed if the guy playing ahead of you stays or has the edge, due to his Contract size?
This Redskins management problem is well known among the league's head coaches.. And it is most likely why the likes of Spags and others didnt want to be the Redskins Head Coach.

It will be interesting to see the upcoming Cuts.. Last year the two top performing players in preseason were cut.. Mullen at WR and Mason at RB.. Not much invested in them.. And not selected in the Draft...

Will Zorn make a stand this year and say, forget the Contract size or Draft position, lets keep and play the best players?

Will Dan and Vinny let him?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 24, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Have you asked yourself why that has been the case?

Tell that to Leon Washington, Sproles, Jonathan Stewart, Chester Taylor, Chris Johnson/L White, Bradshaw - need I continue? Since Betts is a back up, he's not going to get carries in the numbers he requires to get it going. He should be kept on the team is the emergency "RB in a glass" - if Clinton goes down he's the starter. But Mason or Dorsey plays the 3rd down back. Sound like a plan?

Draft position has nothing to do with someone's ability. It is just a reflection of what someone thought of them when they were eligible for the draft.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | August 24, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

opps..
meant "greater investment for Snyder".. not "great investment"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Betts has a larger Contract and has been a greater/larger investment for Snyder's ROI.. He probably stays over Mason if its either or...

To Repost...

They play the better player, not the size of their Contract.

Will Dan and Vinny let him?

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 24, 2009 11:39 AM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 24, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Why are we talking about cutting Betts when it's Cartwright that needs to go. Was it just two seasons ago that Betts got over 1,000 yards filling after Portis got hurt midway through the season? The third RB should actually be a running back! (who gets playing time and carries for other reasons than someone got hurt and there is no one else available...)

Cartwright's only value is kick returns and some special teams coverage. Developing DB's, LB's and WR's (and RB's for that matter) should be filling those rolls. Developing being the key word. Time to move on and get a scat back in that third RB spot.

Posted by: edvar | August 24, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

you are stupid edvar... cartwrights only value is kick return??? Completely retarded. He is the leader of our entire special teams unit. he is the heart of soul of teams and without him our TERRIBLE unit would be even worse. He consistently makes plays on kick returns and is a solid kick returner himself. He leads teams in tackles or is near the stop and is a leader among the players... he is not replaceable yet until we find somoene else who can lead that unit... Betts however does nothing for anyone. He sits on the bench, comes in and runs for 2 yards a carry and gets hurt. sorry but you are just wrong on this and please do not try to argue back because you will lose every time here

Posted by: peoplearestupid1 | August 24, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

My point is that Cartwight isn't even a running back, and we should not continue to hold the third spot for him. And you are stupid if you think Betts does nothing for anyone. Snap out of it!

Posted by: edvar | August 24, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

About Marcus Mason: looks to me like he's a slightly undersized power back, a north-south runner without much in the way of quickness or breakaway speed. Haven't seen any indication of outstanding pass catching ability. He didn't go to the Combine so we don't have any speed data on him, but at his size, I can see why he flirts with the roster but doesn't get a lot of looks during the regular season.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I confess I don't get this mentality that says this or that player 'needs to go'. Or else what? Given the tough road any NFC East team has to trod, why would we want an untested player like Mason, Brennan, Daniel, or Marko Mitchell in a key role? If they clearly outplay the competition (as Mitchell might), then fine. But to decide that a player like Rock Cartwright or LaDell Betts is holding the team back?

It's just crazy.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 24, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Call me crazy but we haven't gotten too far the last couple of years with the weapons we have.

Posted by: scottmando | August 24, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I love reading all the comments about Dorsey over Mason and how we need a punt returner.... Let's look at the facts......
1) Moss and R. El will return punts
2) When Betts went down last year the Skins was left to bring in Shawn Alexander off the couch because Zorn did not trust Rock to run the ball because Rock is not a pure runner but a good special team player
3) Mason was released last year because the last Preseason game he had brain farts and missed key blitz pickups in that last preseason game.... When he became available via waivers we grabbed him with every intentions on keeping him this time around because he can run the ball which can't be said for Rock.
4) In the past two games Mason have picked up every blitz and played well on special teams... Review the tapes or re-watch NFL Network to see for yourself when they replay the games
5) Dorsey is not the same as Marcus when running the ball because Dorsey will always run outside because he need space and Marcus will create space and he has great field vision. This is the NFL and the players here are fast and the field is smaller ( CFL )so getting to the outside on every run will not work... Ask Reggie Bush.....
6) Zorn and staff knew if they brought Marcus back this time that he will run well again for the third str8 year but this time Marcus just had to make plays, block well, practice hard, and learn the offense..... He has done that and you can see in his play that he is ready to contribute this year.....

Is he a punt returner? no, have others for that role
Can he play Special teams as well as Rock? not now but experience is the best food for growth.
Can he run the football? Yes, and he will make plays as he gets more time now and throughout the regular season.

The coaching staff has already made plans to keep Marcus but Marcus must not make any bone head mistakes over the next two weeks....

Posted by: thebanker21 | August 24, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

out of all the qbs we have in camp who do you think has the it factor? the one i found is chase.

Posted by: MGDMaster21 | August 24, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

A couple of quick things.

1) Betts DID have a nice fill in run, but after he got his new contract extension, he began to put the ball on the ground...even in his limited duties. Now I personally don't hold needing carries to warm up against a fella...but as a great coach once said, "it is better to have died at birth than to fumble the football".

2) We haven't even seen Aldridge in live fire, yet. That comes this week. He's supposed to be pretty good as a b/u RB and wicked as a returner. There could EASILY be more horses in this race at both RB & Special Teams, than most folks are considering. So let's not start making cuts and assigning roster spots just yet.

3) Younger and cheaper for simliar or the same production is the way you get to KEEP and USE your draft picks. That way you don't have to trade them for fill in vets when your older guy gets hurt.

Keeping old higher priced players (especially as backups) is NOT. If everyone here at the ranch wants the right to complain about poor use of draft picks, they should probably really think before backing behavior that is not compatible with good draft pick management practices.

not a sermon....just some thoughts.

Hail!

Posted by: ThinkingMan | August 24, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

Jason Campbell, is definitely - not - an NFL quarterback.

It's time to say goodbye to Vincent Cerrato.

Too bad, Danny Dnyder.

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Maryland Football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on the football recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 24, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse