Portis, R. Thomas Not Likely to Play

Running back Clinton Portis and right guard Randy Thomas (knee) are not expected to play Thursday against the Ravens.

Portis is not limited because of an injury, but Coach Jim Zorn said he probably would let him sit out the first preseason game. Thomas, who underwent knee and vertebrae surgery in the offseason, has been slowed because of knee soreness.

Guard-tackle Jeremy Bridges (ankle) was held out of team drills Tuesday because "he couldn't anchor on that ankle," Zorn said. "I want him to rest with it. I don't want to have a setback."

Bridges is expected to be a key reserve. Zorn would not rule out Bridges, who injured his ankle in Saturday's intrasquad scrimmage, on Thursday, but said he probably would be limited to 12 plays. "That's a bonus," Zorn said.

Second-year wide receivers Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly figure to be on the field a lot. The plan is for Thomas, who returned to practice after missing time because of a hamstring injury, to start at Z receiver, or flanker, ahead of Kelly. Top wideout Santana Moss, the X receiver, or split end, might sit out or play sparingly.

Zorn declined to reveal his plan for the quarterbacks against the Ravens, but Jason Campbell's outing could be short, he said. Todd Collins, Colt Brennan and Chase Daniel will share time in some sort of rotation.

By Jason Reid  |  August 11, 2009; 2:12 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth Won't Play in Preseason Opener
Next: High Hopes for Defense

Comments

1st?

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 11, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Fantastic...
in that we
Rest some
Starters,
Thursday

Posted by: pgugino | August 11, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: pgugino | August 11, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Dan Synder sucks giant monkey balls.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | August 11, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

3/4, I gonna me a powerbal ticket for sure

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 11, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Who cares if Haynesworth, or even Portis can play in a PRESEASON game? As long as he's ready to go at 4:15 PM on Sept. 13, I couldn't care less about his lack of participation in the preseason.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 2:02 PM

Do you know how bad JLC and other posters up here would have ripped Portis a new one if he made the same comments that haynesworth just made. In fact Portis has been saying the same thing everyear and he gets blasted for it.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 11, 2009 2:18 PM

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 11, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

CP not playing works for me

Posted by: jm220 | August 11, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Mike Williams vs. T Sizzle...oh the humanity!!!

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 11, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

pretty sure that 't-sizzle' wont be playing that much, if at all....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to see Portis until week 1. Haynesworth either.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 11, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Mike Williams, the human saloon door, will get extensive playing time. Translation: Run for your lives, Jason, Todd, Colt, and Chase!

Actually, I hope the big guy shows some progress. The team really needs him to step up and the reps surely won't hurt him. It's interesting how no one has stepped up to win the right tackle job outright, but now Bridges is referred to as a "solid backup" instead of a potential starter. I think Heyer almost wins the job by default.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Agreed Beantown...still an intriguing matchup that enjoy watching. Maybe they could make a movie about the matchup, with Suggs playing the part of Godzilla and Williams playing, um, Tokyo.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 11, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear D.Thomas and Kelly will actually do what they were brought here to do: step on a field and PLAY the game of football.

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 11, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead, how are you going to call him a human saloon door without even seeing him play?

Posted by: trolly_time | August 11, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

There's a good reason Zorn wants Mike Williams to see a lot of action against Baltimore.

Stephon Heyer made the 'duds' list (see thread, "Horton Richer, Thanks to C(olt)-Note.") after apparently getting schooled by middling DEs J.D. Skolnitsky and Chris Wilson.

It's going to be a very long season if that RT position isn't claimed by a legitimate starter.

Posted by: Alan4 | August 11, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs had enough juice to make any player line up in preseason. I'm not saying that's necessarily a good thing, just a fact. Maybe one day Zorn will have that pull, but for now, he gets his marching orders from the players on preseason PT.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 11, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I can actually get into the coarch getting his orders elsewhere. It can help the 'us against them' bond w/ the players if they buy into it.

It seemed to work w/ Soup - truth or no...

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 11, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I hope they sit Moss and Rogers as well. I hope we get to see alot of Orakpo and Jarmon, as well as F. Davis. Interested to see Dorsey return some punts or K/O.

Hail Skins!

Posted by: mhartz1 | August 11, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

dan snyder sucks giant....

posted by the esteemed and sophisticated Poopy Poop or whatever.

Don't you have to be 18 or over to post up here?

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 11, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious to see how Rhinehardt plays on thursday, he and the kid wr/te's....lets take the training wheels off, and see what they can do....wfo...wide f-ing open...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

72Redskins, never feed a troll. Internet 101.

I'm anxious to see several different people, mainly Rinehart and whichever high draft pick WRs haven't pulled something in the shower that morning.

As for Portis, one series in the final game.

Posted by: messykat | August 11, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 3:03 PM

Btown you sound like you are ready to hit somebody. Maybe you can come down and lead the 2nd and 3rd team out of the tunnel and lead a chant like Ray Lewis

How bout it btown, let me hear you say.

WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 11, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

any dogs in the house....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Where is Levi Jones? He is still available, why aren't we signing him?

Posted by: AcePhoenix77 | August 11, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Where is Levi Jones? He is still available, why aren't we signing him?

Posted by: AcePhoenix77 | August 11, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

from the Times:

Blache on rookie DE Jeremy Jarmon: "He’s done a good job. ... He’s actually further along than I thought he would be. I thought he would be further behind on the learning curve, but quite honestly, some of the things he can do athletically helps bring him up [to speed]."

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

any dogs in the house....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 3:15 PM |

I hope not with all this Mike Vick talk

Just kidding(whew tough crowd)(I've had better audiences at a funeral)

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 11, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

sween, a tip of my straw hat to you for getting the "Green Acres" reference.

Dik, "coarch" never ever fails to bring a smile to my face.

I wouldn't let Portis into the stadium Thursday. You know how he is. He might just sneak out there in somebody else's jersey just to get some licks in on dudes.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 11, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Good stuff b'town....Jarmon seems to sound a lot like another Charles Mann. Athletic and super smart, being bilingual and all.

Posted by: ksquare | August 11, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Who let the dogs out?

Where my dogs at?

Love my n*****, but where's my b******?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Anybody still hating on the "waste" of a 2010 3rd round pick on Jarmon?

Thought it then, and its getting borne out on the field: Good move Vinny. Credit where credit is due is all.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 11, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Me likey Jarmon!

Nice to catch u online Nate. Yeah, let Crisco Portis watch on HD...

btw - still need recommendations for best local HD Skins' broadcast. Who ya like?

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 11, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Maryland will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland's defensive line and linebacker corps are a joke --- no pass rush whatsoever and give up a ton of long yardage plays.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

The only hard hits the Terps make - are out of bound plays - which cost them an additional 15 yards - which are quite frequent.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

It's hilarious to see Maryland win a game - and the very next week get clobbered by a Virginia Tech - Boston College.

It is great to see Maryland go down to a crushing defeat on recruiting front (the kids they have received commitments from - are a joke! - taking the bottom of the barrel)

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 11, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Oh, you know it's game week and the RI'ers are ready...by the way - why do we want to sign Sara Palin's daughter's baby daddy to play OL for us?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 11, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Where is Levi Jones? He is still available, why aren't we signing him?

Posted by: AcePhoenix77

The same reason why 31 NFL teams aren't signing him. Or maybe for the same reason the Bengals cut him in the first place.

I don't know about this Rhinehart dude. Dude couldn't even sniff the field when he was needed most in the regular season, and unlike Marcus Mason, didn't impress in the preseason even against 2nd and 3rd string players.

But I guess because he's a draft selection he gets a pass, right?

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Despite having been the first to report that Vick would not be joining the Redskins, I knew the speculation would start swirling again.

By Jason Reid | August 11, 2009; 12:32 PM ET

This is SOOOOO something Jason La Canfora would say. Look at me, I'm so cool. Despite me being such a great reporter who cracks so many stories, I just knew some other less intelligent people who aren't as gifted a reporter as I am would keep this story alive

Posted by: Barno1 | August 11, 2009 2:42 PM

This is SOOOOO the response one has come to expect from Barno following an innocuous comment by a WaPo Redskins beat reporter. It's the sound of an axe being ground down to a round nub.

Posted by: 4-12 | August 11, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

red, actually, Chad had a good preseason last year.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 11, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Was North Carolina even good last year in football?

For some reason I remember them being a below average team.

I think at least the Terps went to a bowl game, and I think they won it too.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

If you get your only Rinehart snips from WaPo, you are excused if you think he sucks.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 11, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Posted by: hclark1 | August 11, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Really? You must have missed the beat down the Terps put on the #10 ranked Bears last year at Byrd.

Check out the legal truck by new Kevin Barnes. Hit the dude so hard he blew chunks on the 30. Tar Heels my ass...

Posted by: ksquare | August 11, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 4-12 | August 11, 2009 3:58 PM

He who has went to work on the wrong day shall throw the 1st stone...lol...

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 11, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Sure, it's early. We haven't seen any preseason action and we don't have much to go on. That said, I thought it might be fun to start speculating on the 53-man roster/ practice squad! Whaddya say, hamsters? Feel free to comment or make your own changes (I'm sure this will oscillate a bit after pre-season, especially if we're injured). Anyhoo, here's my first swing:

QB

Cornelius Griffin
Kedric Golston
Anthony Montgomery
Lorenzo Alexander

SLB
Brian Orakpo
Alfred Fincher or Chris Wilson (I think one will be cut, with H.B. Blades as a back-up)

MLB

P
Hunter Smith

LS
Ethan Albright

Practice Squad:
---------------
Marcus Mason or Byron Westbrook (one will stay, one will go)
Scott Burley
Edwin Williams
Devin Clark
Chase Daniel
Trent Shelton or Keith Eloi
J.D. Skolnitsky
Robert Henson
Cody Glenn
Eddie Williams

Posted by: TDawg1 | August 11, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

bean, I don't recall your boy Chad getting praises like that.

I don't know, charge it to the sauce from last year up until now, but I don't remember fans being hyped about his performance.

If he did have a good preseason, why didn't he see the field? Did both Thomas and Kendall play in all 16 games? I know Kendall did, what about Thomas? I seem to recall Fabini getting reps at guard.

And when the line begin to falter, why didn't they put him in there?

It's not like I want Rhinehart to fail or not make the team, just not sold on the guy is all I'm saying.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

CP not playing works for me

Posted by: jm220 | August 11, 2009 2:31 PM

No way, man. Thursday night, he's working for ME!

[Well, it is only really fashion and investment advice, but I am paying a small consultancy fee. He's going to throw in some play-by-play and chaulk talk for free.]

Posted by: dcsween | August 11, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

TDawg -

Chris Wilson and Fincher will both make it, with Wilson taking Rob Jackson's spot at DE.

Rock Cartwright will be cut, with one of either Marcus Mason, Anthony Aldridge, or Dominique Dorsey making it.

Mike Williams will be cut, with one of Robert Henson or Cody Glenn making it.

The other of Robert Henson or Cody Glenn will be in a very tight race with Robert Thomas for the last LB spot.

...amd I love Ethan Albright, but can someone else learn to long-snap? It really is a waste of a roster spot.

Posted by: psps23 | August 11, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

sween, a tip of my straw hat to you for getting the "Green Acres" reference.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 11, 2009 3:34 PM

Oliver Douglas knew a good thing. I totally would move to a place called Hooterville. Same county as Petticoat Junction. Are you kidding me? The county seat is in Hookerburg.

Posted by: dcsween | August 11, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

psp23--
I agree with you on Albright-- how about Will Montgomery? Pushing for the #2 center spot, guard ability in a pinch, and can long snap. Why not start grooming him?

I also hope that one of the three young RBs gets a shot-- that'll have to depend on how their pre-season goes with special teams/ returns, and the like.

I'd be surprised if Rob Jackson gets cut, especially over one of the drafted linebackers who are unproven (and haven't done anything of notice in camp), but with Vinny's pull, it wouldn't surprise me THAT much given how he'd be pointing to a "successful draft class"...

Posted by: TDawg1 | August 11, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

And whoever suggested that Mike Williams goes on IR-- I bet that would happen before he gets cut, given how much hype there was about him coming into camp.

Posted by: TDawg1 | August 11, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

i hate to say it, but I am with poopy. i still blame it all on snyder. they need to sign runyan.

and where is barno?

Posted by: jpfterps | August 11, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

psps, I'm guessing that Rob Jackson is still in the "drafted protection" window, and I think there is no way they draft two LBs and cut either. Its just not the Vinny way. If Jackson gets cut, its next year, not this year. I sense lots of people are surprised by Jarmon ... seems like he's getting a lot of reps at DE per the twittereporting.

Also, I think they really are planning on having Chris Wilson play LB.

Finally, from the twitterama and Skins site blog, seems like Mason is getting way more snaps than Aldridge or Dorsey combined (and maybe more than Rock).

Posted by: dcsween | August 11, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

""The Redskins are eager to see tackle Mike Williams, who has lost more than 70 pounds since signing with the team in April, get a lot of work against Baltimore. "As much as we can get him out there," Zorn said. "He won't play the whole game. I just want to get him in the game and get a sense of full-speed play.""

If he's not been able to block anyone in not-so-full-speed practice, what do we expect to see at full-speed play?? Ugh.

And to the dude who spends so much time writing about Maryland, just admit you are a closet fan. There's no other rational explanation for why you take the time to come up here so often to blog about your thoughts on UMD, you are obsessed, you can't get the Terps off your mind...

Posted by: p1funk | August 11, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

tdawg

Nothing against the roster 'cept the idea that from what you've put together, a team with poor offensive line depth exposes itself by placing its youth at the position on the practice squad.

Cut Mike Williams and you're very much on the mark.

Isn't a practice squad just 7 players?

Overall, very little change in the team.

At some point, the skins have to 'turn' their roster over and get 'younger' at multiple positions, though.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I disagree about LS being a waste of a roster spot. Not having a solid and healthy LS is a really, really bad thing. Seems like the tendency around the league is that the long snapper only long snaps (and blocks and covers against punt returns).

Posted by: dcsween | August 11, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, Moe-- I think next year's draft is going to focus on 2 OTs (one starting, one project), a C, and likely an MLB successor for London Fletcher (soon, if not right away). They've got to get younger on the O-Line, and I just can't see them ignoring it another year!

Also, I wasn't sure if the PS was 10 or 7 players, so I went with 10 so I didn't have to think as hard :p

Posted by: TDawg1 | August 11, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I have a serious Question: How many years can you make the practice squad?

I mean come on, Byron Westbrook is a practice squad hall of famer by now. He has been on the practice squad 4 or 5 years now at least.

Is there a Guiness world record for consecutive years on the practice squad?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 11, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

careful, talking about about Rock Cartwright in any negative form is blasphemy and is punishable by death by decapitation.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Albert and Portis only need to play one quarter in the Pittsburgh and New England games, anything else is asking for disaster.

Posted by: abxinc | August 11, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I THINK Westbrook either makes the team or is cut; I think he has used up his Practice Squad eligibility.

Anybody thinking this Agnone kid could challenge Yoder for #3 TE behind Cooley and Davis? Yes, I think Davis is now now 2, or more correctly, i think Coaches AND Front Office want Davis to beat out Yoder for #2 and will be given every chance to do so.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 11, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Maryland will finish with a 2-10 record.

I have seen harder hitting teams in powder puff leagues.

California's running back - Best - will gain 296 yards in the opening game

I love it, when Maryland constantly gets embarrassed on national TV.

Prediction:

California -- 56
Maryland -- 10

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

----------

Pretty sure this is the Redskins Insider. Take your carolina talk somewhere else.

Posted by: SmallPen15 | August 11, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

red

I grew up in Central Pa and live in Palm Beach County, FL.

I know and can drive around Georgia, Miami, Eastern Pa., South Carolina, the Florida Keys, been to the Bahamas multiple times, spent a summer in Lake Tahoe, hate Texas, and think the West Coast of Florida is the best place to see a sunset.

Yes, I'm a southerner and an easterner and a northerner all at the same time.

But I have to ask you: what's the 'DMV'?

Just askin'.....

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

The thing with Jackson is that I don't see where he fits in.

Let's assume we keep all the usual suspects at DT: Haynesworth, Griffin, Golston, Monty, and Alexander. That's 5 linemen.

At DE, we've got 2 more starters: Carter and Daniels; and 2 more highly touted rookies: Orakpo and Jarmon.

Just with those guys, that's 9 defensive linemen (and I know Orakpo is said to be an OLB, but he figures to play more snaps at DE than anyone not named Carter or Daniels).

After them, it's Renaldo Wynn, Chris Wilson, and Rob Jackson. The thing about Jackson is that, from my impression, he doesn't excel at any one thing. In pass-rushing situations, we'll see Wilson more than Jackson. In rotational situations for Daniels (i.e. run-stopping), you'll see Wynn or even Alexander before you see Jackson. He figures to get the very least reps out of the entire group (under the premise that all are on the roster).

And as sween said, Wilson will also be a LB (but, he will still be used as a situational pass-rusher, should the time come). That versatility alone boosts his appeal. If you keep all those guys, that's 12 men in a defensive line rotation. To me, that's overdoing it a bit, especially when the last guy in that rotation doesn't offer anything else, including little in ST play -- and when there are significantly weaker positions depth-wise in comparison to the line. I can see Jackson getting the rookie leeway from Vinny over Renaldo Wynn, but not over anyone else.

Of course, maybe he surprises the heck out of everyone and lights it up this preseason. In that case, maybe he does knock off Wynn, Wilson, or earns a spot through sheer talent.

Posted by: psps23 | August 11, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I too would love to see Mike Williams at full speed so I know what I have protecting the QB.

Signed,
Jason Campbell's ACL

Posted by: Crunkenstein | August 11, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

p1funk

"...If he's (Mike Williams) not been able to block anyone in not-so-full-speed practice, what do we expect to see at full-speed play?? Ugh."

I'd like for someone to ask Vinny or whomever how Mike Williams was better than taking a chance on any of the young offensive linemen in the '09 draft that he refused to select.

Yes: Mike Williams' weight-loss ordeal is a great 'feel-good' story.

But if I'm the quarterback who gets crushed after one of his 'lookout' blocks fails to stop T Suggs, there will be very little feel or good about his story.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

mistamoe,

dmv = dc, maryland, va.

Posted by: mafreeman | August 11, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 11, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TDawg1 | August 11, 2009 4:36 PM

One of those two LBs they just drafted is an inside guy ... but the likely successor to Fletcher is supposed to be Blades. The next critical draft need (other than guys to replace Thomas, then Samuels*) is running back. Portis, Betts, and Rock all left school at the same time. As soon as the wheels start falling off one of them, the other two will quickly follow. As a position, RB is going to be a mess for a few years in the post-Portis period.

* Drafting means thinking a few years out. Only first and second round guys should be expected to start in their first year out (some variation depending on position ... you'd have thought a punter in any round would be ready to start). Rinehart was drafted to replace Kendall (not Thomas ... that Dockery became available was a fluke). There was no planning about what might happen when Jansen was done, and definitely has been none re: Samuels. I think the FO just thinks these guys can play forever (or at least just one more year ... for several years in a row). Only one guy can play for 18 seasons ... and he's been labelled a waste of a roster spot up here.

Posted by: dcsween | August 11, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

In my eyes, the only draft need on the defensive side of the ball (for a few years anyway) is another WLB ... because RockyMac's knees are held together with bubble gum and duct tape.

Of course, thinking about a draft might be time well-wasted ... no CBA means no cap ... which means DC becomes the free agent capitol of the NFL.

Posted by: dcsween | August 11, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

It's entirely possible this fearsome Suggs fellow might not be playing on Thursday, right? Especially since he has some kind of boo-boo and hasn't been practicing. So that's one less thing to worry about.

Though I wouldn't rule out Suggs' walking over to the Skins' sideline and telling Zorn to take out one of our O line's weak sisters, lest we get somebody kilt.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 11, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Man, Moe.

Get familiar! LOL! Nah, just playin'.

DMV = DC, Maryland, and Virginia. The acronym is becoming really popular.

DMV covers:

Maryland: Calvert County, Charles County,Frederick County ,Montgomery County, and Prince George's County.

Virginia: Arlington County, Clarke County, Fairfax County, Fauquier County, Loudoun County, Prince William County, Spotsylvania County, Stafford County, and
Warren County. To include: City of Alexandria, City of Fairfax, City of Falls Church, City of Fredericksburg, City of Manassas, and City of Manassas Park.

And all of DC. And Jefferson County in West VA as well.

Basically put, this map pretty much covers the DMV

It's like one big city combied with parts from three states and one district.

DMV, beeyotches!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

"....The next critical draft need is running back. Portis, Betts, and Rock all left school at the same time..."

Let's take CJ Spiller--Clemson, next Spring and get it out of the way.

And for those of you---like me--aping about linemen, perhaps we'll get lucky and the next '..big, splashy..' move will be the best availiable free agent offensive linemen or two next year to block for him.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

***CORRECTION***

Well looking at that map that top of MD isn't the DMV, and really West VA isn't either. But other than that, it's pretty much on point.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

It's like one big city combied with parts from three states and one district.

DMV, beeyotches!

Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 5:27 PM

So really, DMV = DCMSA (District of Columbia Metropolitan Statistical Area).

RedDCMSA ... agreed ... it does not evoke any funny Simpsons episodes about the Department of Motor Vehicles.

[Is the bottom line that DMV extends south to roughly King's Dominion? Seems like after that, you're in northern suburban Richmond! and by suburban, I mean rural]

Posted by: dcsween | August 11, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Red

I gotcha, bruh.....LOL!!!

I almost became a citizen of that part of the world one summer.

I got a homie living in Owings Mills--he turned me into a skins fan 25 years ago during a trip to an August practice the team had in Carlise, Pa.

But then, I came to Florida and found some sunshine between a pair of fine brown legs and have arrived alive every since.:))))

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 11, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

RE: DMV - and come to think of it, that little part of Virgina doesen't belong, and HEY! what is Carrol County doing in there? and you can just bag Harper's Ferry, too -

Aw, screw it - we'll just call it the DC.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 11, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 11, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

... And all of DC.
Posted by: RedDMV | August 11, 2009 5:27 PM |

Jesus. If there is a more sorry azz spot on the face of the earth, tell me about it. First you have the "suits":

1. Cheat on their wives.
2. Steal from the public till.
3. Don't pass any much needed laws - like health care, energy, financial reform, etc.
4. Hate on each other.

Then you have the "non suits"

1. Don't graduate HS.
2. Dont have a job.
3. Kill each other.
4. Take drugs.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | August 11, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

hey Nate ... any truth to the idea that we'll be drafting 23 rounds in the FF league? Sounds like wayyyy too many.

PS congrats :)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 11, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Portis not playing.

Here we go again girls - in October he gets his legs because he took August off. Write it down, he'll have 20 carries between now and Sept 13.

Perfect.

When do these clowns learn from their mistakes.

A lazy mouth who poisons the team every year.

Posted by: gdennie | August 11, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

"psps23, Good recap of the Dline. What happens if we expand the scenario to include Dlinemen AND LB's? Keep an extra Dlineman and one less LB to get the same number of overall players? Seems this is where Orakpo and Wilson's versatility comes into play... straight stick LBs would be London, Rocky Mac, Robert Thomas, and HB. Fincher left on the outside looking in to make the numbers work. 3rd down you are gonna take out a LB, put Orakpo on the line, and bring an extra DB...

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe"

One reason I would be afraid of that is because of the extremely thin depth at LB. Should one of the LBs go down (not unheard of with RMac), that could significantly hinder Orakpo or Wilson's reps at DE. And I don't believe either is ready to be a full-time OLB.

On top of that, a lot of special teamers, especially on coverage units, come from the LB corp. D-linemen like Jackson aren't as effective because they don't have the range to chase returners as well as a LB could. That has to be factored in for fringe guys, and that's where guys like Fincher, Henson, and Glenn will have to make a name for themselves.

I just don't see too many scenarios where Jackson can see the field this year. Could Vinny keep him on the roster purely as a future project? Sure, that could happen. But my money would be on the two draft selections this year, Henson and Glenn, getting that nod before Jackson.

Posted by: psps23 | August 11, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Whew. I'm glad I made the cut for the DMV. I couldn't bare having to be a northern suburb of Richmond. (shudder)

I wonder if this means I'll have to become a liberal windbag when Northern VA seceeds from the rest of the state.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 11, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Best case scenario 2009-2010 OL:

RT- Saloon door
RG- Elevator door
C- Trap door
LG- French doors
LT- Doors of perception

Posted by: ElYeah | August 11, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 11, 2009 6:17 PM

Liberal windbag? You'll have to post up here as TheCork2.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 11, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I think Marko will be on practice squad. And I have to say, though I love Rock, I wonder if Eddie Williams can make the 53? If not for Rock, then Sellers? I love Sellers too... Glad I'm not making the call

Posted by: ElYeah | August 11, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

PSP23, can't say I disagree.

Anybody think Rock is under threat from Dorsey? I think if Dorsey shows promise returning, it could be CP, LB, MM and Dorsey as the RB corps. My hope is that Dorsey can return KO and punts. I'm a Rock fan, and he is a "true Redskin"....but we all know how cruel this bidness is...

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 11, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure this has already been discussed but going to Green for help sounds like an awesome move for Tryron.

Denver sounds like they have too many running backs to keep all of them. Maybe they cut Hillis (awesome fullback/h-back/goal line back), Lamont Jordan, or Ryan Torrain. All bigger running backs that could fill a need for the skins.

Posted by: skinswest | August 11, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Beep x 2

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 11, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Updated: August 11, 2009, 5:54 PM ET
Ex-Eagle Runyan cleared to work out
By Sal Paolantonio
ESPN.com
Archive
Anybody need a right tackle who has started 192 consecutive NFL games?

Former Philadelphia Eagles right tackle Jon Runyan began running for the first time on his surgically repaired right knee after his surgeon, Dr. James Andrews, medically cleared him to begin putting repetitive pressure on his leg -- with the goal of working out for an NFL team soon

"I'm cleared to do everything," said Runyan, "except hit people. And I'll be able to do that in about two weeks."
*******

Anyway, the article goes on to say that the Eagles are still in contact with him and with their injury issues might end up resigning him. Hello, Danny Boy, where's the giant bottomless wallet when we need it?!?

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 11, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Here's a link to the Runyan article on espn.com:

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 11, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswest | August 11, 2009 6:50 PM

Denver does have quite a stable of backs, but didn't the Skins alraedy scoop up Aldridge from their leavings? I think the Redskins already have more backs than they can keep, and I'm not sure any of Denver's backs you mentioned constitute an upgrade or a change of pace to the guys already in camp. As far as a goalline back, I'll take my chances with CP every time, because he's so good at knifing through even the smallest creases, and I think the train wreck known as the TJ Duckett Experience taught us that goalline specialty-type backs like Hillis are no good behind our weak line. Too slow and too big to find a hole. Just my opinion.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 11, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep Beep

Posted by: abxinc | August 11, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Zorn is becoming very good at being transparent. I have a good feeling about this year. If we can get some unexpected, decent depth at line, then we're looking pretty good. There are a lot of "if's" in this scenario, I am well aware. But, I just have a good feeling about Zorn. He's a straight shooter, but he is learning when to be objective and when to hold his tongue on the subjective. I can't wait till the season actually starts. Hopefully Orapko sacks Manning on the first play of the year, ending his season. Then we would win the east, for sure. Dallas and the Eagles are soft. The g-men are the only team I worry about.

Posted by: BMACattack | August 12, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse