Samuels expected to announce retirement Thursday

Updated at 2:07 p.m.

As we previously reported in October, Pro Bowl left tackle Chris Samuels plans to retire because of a severe neck injury, and he is expected to announce his decision in a news conference Thursday at Redskins Park.

With free agency beginning Friday, the timing of the move makes sense for the Redskins, who are in the process reshaping the organization and roster under Coach Mike Shanahan's direction. The Redskins have known since October that Samuels's career was over because of the injury he suffered early in an Oct. 11 loss at Carolina. He also has stenosis.

Samuels consulted with many specialists, several of whom warned him about the possibility of becoming paralyzed if he attempted to prolong his career, people familiar with the situation said, but questions about his playing status lingered publicly because Samuels declined to officially announce he would not return for an 11th season with the Redskins.

On Jan. 13, Samuels, who played in only five games last season, said he had not made a decision about whether to retire. Samuels, who spoke with reporters after Joe Bugel's retirement news conference at the complex, said his situation would become clearer after he had another checkup in February.

In terms of their free agency and draft preparations, the Redskins have proceeded for months as if Samuels would not be on the roster for the 2010 season. Samuels was the best lineman on one of the league's worst units last season, and it appeared Shanahan would have to overhaul the ineffective group even if Samuels continued his career.

By Jason Reid  |  March 1, 2010; 7:49 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haynesworth is the key in Redskins' use of 3-4 defense
Next: Phillip Daniels: Redskins 'want me back'

Comments

I think this is the sane thing to do. Samuels was great for a number of years and that's how he'll go out. Thanks for the memories, Chris.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 1, 2010 7:59 AM | Report abuse

Thank God. He will continue to walk. Not dissing SAMUELS at all. Just expressing regard for his person. He was an outstanding player, and has been sorely missed.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 1, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Good decision, Chris. You were a great Redskin, best of luck to you moving forward.

Hopefully this reinforces the need for this team to pick Okung at #4...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

best news I've heard in a while, good for you for not chasing dollars...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

No doubt Greg, I had heard he might just stick around to get that big salary but I'm glad he decided otherwise. He doesn't gamble his ability to walk, the team gets to move on when there's no cap hit. It's a win/win for everyone involved.

I sure hope they're printing Okung jerseys right now...

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

bwood, no doubt on okung, seems like from the combine its a strong OL class this year...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

More player warnings from PFT:

"Buyer beware" on Dez Bryant, too
Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2010 8:05 AM ET
Bruce Campbell isn't the only guy who's prompting league insiders to try to temper their potential infatuation with a possible first-round pick. But while Campbell's negatives come from review of his game film, former Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant's suspension for lying to investigators is part of what Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports characterizes based on three unnamed sources as "consistently irresponsible" behavior.

Said one source of Bryant, who passed on all workouts at the Scouting Combine: "I wouldn't draft that kid unless I had someone to wake him up in the morning to get to meetings, someone to wake him up for practice and someone to wake him up for games." Another source backed up the contention that Bryant was "consistently late" for team activities.

Including games.

But while the man who called himself a "great person" in an NFL Network interview (and few people who publicly describe themselves a certain way are ever truly what they describe themselves to be) has been characterized as more "goofy" than malicious, we continue to hear concerns regarding the truthfulness of his assertion that he didn't know who agent Eugene Parker was during the time that Bryant was communicating with Deion Sanders.

It's a contention that some league insiders find even harder to believe in light of the fact that the son of Parker's partner, Roosevelt Barnes, was a teammate of Bryant's at Oklahoma State. But, hey, maybe a room full of college athletes who hope to get paid to do something that doesn't involve punching a clock would have no interest at all in knowing that the father of one of their teammates is a big-time agent who works with another big-time agent.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Exactly Greg, I'm hoping he's still on the board at #4...I've heard some talk of Detroit taking him at #2. If Bradford and Okung are off the board at #4, we could be in some real trouble.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Ring of Honor for Chris Samuels.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 1, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

It could happen Bradford and Okung go 1, 2. In that case one of the DTs would fall to the Skins.

Posted by: skinfanman | March 1, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

if Okung isn't there, and there is no trade back, then Houston we have a problem...thats not gonna be good for this team.....Not sure there is a NT worth taking at #4, and I'm also not sure that AH on the nose is a good idea....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, Greg. If Bradford and Okung go 1-2, whichever tackle is there should determine what we do scheme-wise. I've heard that McCoy is a straight DT in a 4-3, while Suh has more value at DE in a 3-4. Seems to me, if this coaching staff is more concerned with getting the most out of this roster than they are forcing a 3-4 onto the Redskins, the guy they pick would almost force their hand one way or the other.

For example, I just don't think you pass on a player like McCoy just because you have a boner over installing a 3-4. If we have better personnel for a 4-3, we should stick to what works, IMO.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Thank you, Chris. You were a great Redskin.

Posted by: BigTrees | March 1, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 8:21 AM
------------------------------------------
They could hope for someone wishing to trade up. Maybe in that situation they go to the Rams and ask for 2nd and 3rd picks this year and a first next year. The Rams would be interested in some version of a trade like that if they take Bradford with number one pick (which I think they would be crazy to do, by the way) because they would still have that big hole on their defensive line. Getting the Rams 2nd pick this year is like getting a lower first round pick since they are at the top of the 2nd.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | March 1, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Chris Samuels was many things for the skins. A leader, a mauler, a gentleman, a exotic dancer, a fighter, a star, a robot from space.

God Speed Chris, and if you happen to make your way into coaching, give the ol' team the first phone call.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 1, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

That is very interesting. What would you do if that happened? That would mean you have your choice of:

Suh/McCoy
Eric Berry
Jimmy the Pickle
C.J. Spiller
Rolando McClain
Bryan Bulaga

Picking one of the DTs would be interesting. If we picked one of them then we could have an awesome front for a 3-4 or a 4-3. It would solidify an awesome versatile defense.

Berry obviously would help wreak havoc. The thought of him ballhawking in the open field with LL smacking people in the mouth on the LOS is awesome.

C.J. Spiller could be an incredible asset to this offense. If we have to check down why not check down to an explosive playmaker?

Pickle is a reach.

McClain would be a huge reach at #4. I don't remember seeing an inside linebacker going that high.

Bryan Bulaga is interesting. He's not quite Russell Okung but he definitely is a better run blocker and worthy of a top 10 pick so it isn't a huge reach.

I think I'd have to go with Bulaga because of need but wonder what might have been if I had chosen McCoy, Berry or Suh. I wish our offense wasn't so neglected over the past decade.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | March 1, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Chris, great job, but the hot tub at Redskins Park will never be the same without you..

Posted by: frak | March 1, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 8:44 AM

I think McCoy can rotate at the NT if the Skins play a one gap D. Lamar Houston in round 3 or 4 could do the same. Also D'Anthony Smith in round 4 or 5.

Possible FA include Shaun Rodgers who I read has a sizable coming up and may be a release candidate. There's Shaun Smith on the Bengals whose a head case and might be available as well.

As far as Peppers goes, I've said before I down with whatever this staff does over the next 3 years. Allen has manged the cap well, and has helped get teams out of salary cap hell. I'll expect him to do the same here in DC, so if they sign Peppers it would be a move that has been well planned from a salary structure perspective. As far as his on the field play, dude had double digit sacks with no pass rush presence on the other sided, while playing in a fairly conservative Ron Meeks scheme. He should be fin in an agressive front.

Posted by: TWISI | March 1, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 8:21 AM

With CLAUSEN, BRADFORD, and OKUNG gone we'd be looking at the best player, FS and DT. Neither would be a #1 priority though both should be looked at. BERRY or SUH nets a potential star, but doesn't do anything for the offense which is in dire need.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 1, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Not adverse to signing Peppers, how daunting the Red Hot Chili d-line would be ..Be sure to sign Onions and Cilantro also..

Posted by: frak | March 1, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

really frak? soon to be 30 year old guy, who has a questionable motor, and is gonna command HUGE money....

good call.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Repost for Brownwood (and the others I was sparring with), in case they missed it. B'wood, you were way right and I was way wrong about ARE. Guy's gonna be gone the minute that free agency begins:
....................................................

Holy smackaroley! Brownwood's right. Diesel's right. All you all are right. ARE's a goner.

I thought ARE's contract was up at the end of next year and that we were only paying him like $3 million in cash this year. I didn't adquately allow for Snyder and Cerrato's generosity (stupidity?) when they signed this guy. I just looked up his contract to shove it up your nose and wow! it's not in your nose. It's somewhere in me. Here's what I found:

"Redskins WR/PR Antwaan Randle El is due a $4.25 million salary in 2010, plus a $6.25 million offseason roster bonus."

"Randle El's salary drops to $1.95M if the bonus is paid before August 31, but he's likely played his last down in burgundy and gold, no matter who coaches the team. The 30-year-old is still a decent slot receiver, finishing 2009 with 50 grabs for 530 yards, but offers no vertical ability and is totally ineffective on punt returns. He's not worth close to $8.2 million."

Posted by: League-Source | February 28, 2010 11:27 AM |

Posted by: League-Source | March 1, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Hell, as long as its an uncapped year, hey, the Yankees buy championships all the time, why can't we?? Besides, think of the lucrative salsa market..

Posted by: frak | March 1, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I would like to take this time to wish Chris Samuels the very best in his new life as one of us regular guys... OK, slightly richer than most of us but, nonetheless still, a regular working stiff. Good luck Chris and stay well.

As to the Redskins and the April 2010 NFL Draft Board, I'm looking forward to the possibility of a trade down. That being said, I'm not sure who might at this time wish to trade up and make something happen. Trade downs can be prosperous however, we must remember the GM's on the other teams make their bread and butter off of things like the NFL Draft. People mention off and on trading Redskins current players and it seems as though often it's as if fans wish to trade garbage for gold. Sometimes it's not garbage but a 10+ year vet like AH for a high first round pick... I can only wonder what those fans are smoking when thoughts like that come to print. Just because Danny Snyder vastly over paid to get AH doesn't mean he's worth a first round pick. In my opinion, he now worth a 3rd rounder at best. His impact is questionable and he's off the field more than he's on it. Remember, if all the Redskins players were so vaulable as trade bait than wouldn't the team be better than 4 and 12.

Just a thought...

Bob Schnebly

Posted by: StarLyrara | March 1, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Chris Samuels is a Hall of Famer.

That's a possible class featuring:

Brett Favre

Kurt Warner

Chris Samuels

That's not bad if it happens.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 1, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely no to Peppers. His own teammates (Buckner spoke out) question his love and dedication to football.

We already have one 48 million dollar disinterested player, let’s not corner the market on these clowns. With his freakish unparalleled physical talent the only reason why he isn’t as great as he could be is because he doesn’t want it. You can’t coach up desire.

Posted by: Diesel44 | March 1, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

As for Gilbert, he'll do his stint, be out briefly and get re-signed to the Celtics to fill their Designated Gunslinger slot..

Posted by: frak | March 1, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I do wonder about CS being HOF material for 2 reasons,

1. The lack of team success during his time year even more an issue given the piss poor play by offenses.
2. The anti-line bias of the HOF

Posted by: alex35332 | March 1, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

He's from Carolina, maybe its too much home cookin' for the Peppers, maybe if he ate some Dim Sum in Chinatown, or Salvadoran in Adams Morgan or Blackies House of Beef or some such change of diet to get the blood cookin'..

Posted by: frak | March 1, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

al, agreed on the lack of success...that will be a huge hindrance to his getting in....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"The Redskins are in contract negotiations to re-sign veteran defensive lineman Phillip Daniels, whom they plan to use as an end in their new scheme, which is expected to still include some 4-3 principles."

So what becomes of Jeremy Jarmon, you know, the 3rd rounder from last summer?

You re-sign Daniels so he and the 3rd rounder fight for a starting spot or they both share it?

I don't know about most folks, but I'm hoping the Jarmon pick wasn't a wasted one.

That's a 3rd rounder that would nice to have, especially if the team snags a quarterback as expected.

Posted by: MistaMoe | March 1, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Good bye Chris Samuels, you were awesome!

If Okung is gone, Trent Williams looked pretty good at the combine, athletic, fast and strong = good mix for Shanny's OL. Baluga looked good, but kind of lumbered through some of the drills. I would def put Williams ahead of Baluga, kid from Rutgers was big, but did not impress. Either way, I think we can get OL deep in this draft. Would love to see a top flight OL in first round and then possibly one of the RB in the second.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 1, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

who has a questionable motor

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 9:15 AM

I'm going to play devil's advocate here..

Peppers lead his team in sacks (10.5), was second on the Dline in tackles (42), forced the most fumbles (5), had a blocked kick, had an interception, and scored the only defensive TD last year for the Panthers. How is that for a lukewarm motor?

IMO I don't think he's going to get the ginormous salary people think; there is too much uncertainty in the future for a Moneyworth's type deal.

Posted by: TWISI | March 1, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Bean - you should see the madness I've been fighting over at extremeskins... people seem to think we should be trading our #4 for AT LEAST San Fran's first two picks... as in, #13, #17, and more... or a first, third, and next year's first.... complete madness...

Posted by: Rypien11 | March 1, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

They gotta keep Jarmon..Smell like 3-4, Look like 3-4, Taste like 3-4...Glad I didn't step in it!!

Posted by: frak | March 1, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

If Suh is there at #4, I think you either have to draft him or trade down. There a lot of teams hot on that guy and you might be able to pick up something pretty decent in return.

Posted by: BT23 | March 1, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Moe, I agree on Daniels and Jarmon. I dont see much sense in hiring an aged veteran with injuries, but I have also become more realistic with the fact that this year aint it for us.

I would have thought Dansby would be our first choice for FA, since we need a true ILB for the 3-4 defense.

I think Rams take Bradford, then 2 DL go in the draft, McCoy and Suh are rated to high for them to slip that much.

Posted by: mhartz1 | March 1, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

ryp, I'm a member over there as well, but just to lurk, and get info....too many wacko's....

twis, many people, including former teammates question his motor....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

I saw that when you posted it LS...just wasn't sure if it was really on my screen or if I hallucinated it.

Peppers people need to stop with this stuff. This ain't Madden.

Moe, as much as I would love to make yet another trip to Canton, I seriously doubt Chris Samuels is a Hall of Famer. He was a really good player on a really bad team most of the time and he made half his Pro-Bowls on reputation alone. Plus I have a hard time seeing anyone make the case that he was considered the best LT in the game at any point in his career.

He'll be in our ring of honor, but that's about it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | March 1, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

um...is Jarmon not coming off an ACL injury? How does signing Daniels NOT make sense??

Jarmon's here...no sense crying over the shoulda coulda woulda...that ship has sailed....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

U da man Samuels great career, best career of the decade, ST21 was the best player of the decade. I met Samuels at Lakeforest Mall at a signing with Inspectah Deck, he was a cool ass dude, thanks again

lets draft o-line, need a new generation of Hogs

Posted by: retroskins14 | March 1, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

twis, many people, including former teammates question his motor....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | March 1, 2010 9:36 AM |

Ok I'll move on from this because I'm not really passionate about it in either directions. Plus it's a long shot that he'll be a Redskin anyways.

Posted by: TWISI | March 1, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | March 1, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

The problem most people have with Peppers is his that he isn't consistent.

He'll have some monster games, but he has too many games where you wouldn't know that he played.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | March 1, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | March 1, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Open the wardrobe is not yet found love after another the right clothes? So, also waiting for? Immediate action bar! Welcome to { http://www.itemtolive.com } sure you will find what you need. Moreover, the company has a good reputation, product quality standards, at reasonable prices. Over the years, has been well received by overseas friends for their support. Therefore, please rest assured purchase.

===== http://www.itemtolive.com ====

Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33

Handbags(Coach l v f e n d i d&g) $35

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16

Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30

Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,A r m a i n i) $16

New era cap $15

Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $25

FREE sHIPPING

====== http://www.itemtolive.com ====

Posted by: qitkonlyyou | March 1, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Always thought Samuels was a classy dude. Glad to see him not push it.

Lets go get a OT in the 1st round!

Posted by: Redskins2Win | March 1, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

===== http://www.itemtolive.com ====

Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33

Handbags(Coach l v f e n d i d&g) $35

Tshirts (Polo ,ed hardy,lacoste) $16

Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30

Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,A r m a i n i) $16

New era cap $15

Bikini (Ed hardy,polo) $25

FREE sHIPPING

====== http://www.itemtolive.com ====

Posted by: qitkonlyyou | March 1, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Shanny won big with free agent DE's Neil Smith and Alfred Williams collapsing the pocket. Maybe he thinks Orakpo and Peppers will do the same thing? Add Haynesworth to that mix with an aggressive D-Coordinator and the Skins are a better team.

Posted by: coparker5 | March 1, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

good that samuels will retire get out while you can still move and walk..samuels is one of the best o-linemen in washington's history too bad for his entire career a fool owned/owns the team and most of the HC's were inept.

Posted by: wathu19 | March 1, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins should draft Okung @ 4 if he is still there. Then wait to see what Seattle does with it's first pick @ 8. If they don't select Clausen, we do the JC trade with Buffalo @ 9 and pick up Clausen. Hopefully Maurkice Pouncey will be available in the early second round.

Posted by: A_o_C57 | March 1, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Speaking as someone that broke his neck in a high school football game 30 years ago, it is best that Chris Samuels retire.

Posted by: justabill | March 1, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

The way I see it the most likely scenario is that either Okung or Suh will be available at #4.

St. Louis is going to take Bradford. Their quarterbacking in 2009 was light years behind the Redskins :-)

McCoy will be chosen before Suh because of his pass rush ability inside.

So, unless Tampa does something strange like drafting Berry at #3 as a safety, I see a lineman moving to the podium for Washington.

Some of you may get your wish in that Washington could end up with Suh at #4 AND an offensive tackle at #37.

Shanahan may have to make a deal to pick up a Tony Pike with a #3 pick as a guy to groom for 2011.

Posted by: leopard09 | March 1, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

By loser.

Posted by: phoule | March 1, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Samuels got hurt because Snyder neglected the line for a long time.

Posted by: jercha | March 1, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Interesting opinion on the redskins switch to 3-4. check it out.

Posted by: b145579 | March 1, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Chris Samuels, you were a true warrior who I beleive gave it your all on the field, and showed class and proffesionalism off it. Retiring to maintain your ability to be a functioning father, husband, and citizen is more important than being a rich football player.

A job well done, and God Bless.

Posted by: 72Redskins | March 1, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I hate to see you retire but you are doing what you have to do, you have been a very fine Redskin and I have enjoyed watching you play. You will be missed.

Posted by: ladyredskins | March 1, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Chris Samuels thanks for all your hard work, you were a true Redskin. Glad to see that you are not going to push it and risk a more serious injury.

Posted by: m_p_holmes | March 1, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Chris, you are a true pro.

Posted by: dashriprock | March 1, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Chris, I read in one of the posts above, "Chris you were a great REDSKIN". I say, >CHRIS YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A REDSKIN

Posted by: Blueslegend | March 1, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse