Samuels in California to see specialist

Pro Bowl left tackle Chris Samuels, sidelined indefinitely because of a neck injury, traveled to California today to meet with a specialist, Coach Jim Zorn said.

"We wanted to make sure that the doctor who was reading the reports actually could visually see him," Zorn said. "We sent him out there just to do all the due diligence, so we could make, and he could make, an intelligent decision about how long, what if, all the what ifs and things like that."

Samuels in high school was diagnosed with stenosis, a narrowing of the spine. His neck injury occurred on the Redskins' first series in a 20-17 loss to the Carolina Panthers on Oct. 11.

Although the team has not ruled out Samuels returning to the lineup, a league source said the 10-year veteran is not expected to play again this season and is strongly considering retirement. "He should not play right now, that's the consensus," Zorn said. "And rightly so. If you don't have all the information, there's no way we would risk it, and I know he wouldn't risk it. ... We're trying to do the right thing."

By Jason Reid  |  October 21, 2009; 5:48 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Largent says Zorn considered quitting
Next: Redskins audible: Smith will now relay Lewis's plays

Comments

Hoping for good news for Chris... Godspeed as you hopefully enter retirement before enduring grievous injury...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 21, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know what it means for the cap situation if Samuels retires at season's end?

Posted by: sufferinskinsfan | October 21, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 21, 2009 6:01 PM

Amen to that. Neck injuries aren't to be taken lightly.

Posted by: skinswest | October 21, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Tough about Samuels, and I hope he is ok. I think he should just retire instead of risking further injury to his neck/spine - something I would say even if the Redskins were a super bowl team.

About Zorn, I frankly think that he should have listened to the advice he no doubt got from people who warned him about this job (Holmgren, etc.). Instead he let himself get swept up in the opportunity to be a head coach because he knew deep down he would probably never get this shot anywhere else. Why? Because he was already 50 and had never been a coordinator or HC anywhere in the NFL.

Zorn's should have considered the potential for future problems with a front office that would choose him as HC. Not easy to do, but seriously, what front office hires Zorn as HC in the first place at all at that stage of his career, to say nothing of HOW they hired him? Absolutely nuts. Of course, at the time I thought it was no big deal. How wrong!

Posted by: hithere1 | October 21, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

From the Larry Weisman on redskins blog:

It is Sherm Lewis, the offensive consultant hired two weeks ago, who spoke to the quarterbacks Wednesday, a role coach Jim Zorn previously filled. It was Lewis who suggested some different routes for the receivers to run. It is Lewis who will call the plays against the Eagles, a job which Zorn relished but agreed to let go at management’s insistence.

----------------------------------------------

Looks like Sherm has been doing some homework. I don't think much will improve but I like the fact he's working hard at it.

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

sufferin', doesn't a player's retirement affect the cap same as the team cutting the player, where the remainder of the pro-rated signing bonus is accelerated to hit the cap?

I would guess that would be the case here, though if 2010 is an uncapped year (as we suspect) it wouldn't particularly matter to us... and besides, and not to get all preachy here, but I couldn't give two SJKs about salary cap implications when we're talking about a man's health and quality of life after football.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 21, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

My prayers are with Chris. I think this is it for him and he will be truly missed.

I have a question about the Eagles - do they have a fierce defense and pass rush? Gene Wong just said on WaPo Live that the Eagles are coming to DC looking for blood after their embarrassing game against the Raiders and that the Skins will be facing a ferocious pass rush like we have not seen! Ok, I know we have not seen a great defense this season (except for the Giants) but is Philly's defense that flippin' good?

Also, Wong said the Eagles had trouble since they faced Nnamdi Asomugha in Oakland and that he is the best (probably true) and that we do not have anyone close to him in our secondary.

HOWEVER, Asomugha left the game Sunday in the first quarter with an eye injury and did not return - so he barely mattered.

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 21, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Horton seems like he's in the doghouse...and not getting out any time soon...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 21, 2009 2:42 PM

Horton actually is on the field for quite a few defensive snaps ... based on packages. But Doughty is still performing at a high level.

Posted by: dcsween | October 21, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 21, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Lisa that just goes to show you how little these talkin heads really know

Posted by: jumbo5383 | October 21, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

LMFAO. The International Olympic Committee added two new sports to the summer games, rugby - a game for maulers - and golf - a game for pantywaisters.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Yup, Nnamdi went out early with a scratched cornea or something like that, he gets the face shield now. So the Raiders crushed philly without their best defender.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Should a guy with a "neck injury" fly round-trip across the country on a plane? I'm thinking about the whole pressurization/depressurization thingy.

Posted by: 4-12 | October 21, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I read somewhere that Horton played one snap on defense last week. And it felt like it because I kept asking myself where Horton was during the game, only to find out he was nowhere to be seen.

Posted by: psps23 | October 21, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

From Mark Maske:

"Brady threw six touchdown passes Sunday to grab top billing on a day when Brees and Matt Schaub threw for four each, Ben Roethlisberger passed for 417 yards and Joe Flacco was a mere footnote with a 385-yard, two-touchdown outing. NFL passers are compiling eye-catching early-season numbers, and some observers say they rarely have seen so many quarterbacks playing so well at the same time."

So what's with this Campbell dude and why hasn't he gotten his arse in gear like all the others?

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm not young, not black, not hip, not raw, & there's way more Bama in me than hood. I say that, actually I was a bit raw last week but that Boudreaux's butt paste works wonders on chafing.

I am glad Largent is slamming Danny. I wish more would come out publicly & do so.

Posted by: will_ga | October 21, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 6:32 PM |

They didn't need him. Petey went down and McN was sacked 6 times and it easily could have been more. Plus the Eagles brain dead HC never thought of trying the running game once passing became iffy with Petey out.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

CB IS THE MOST OVERRATED POSITION ON THE FIELD.

I remember losing Champ Bailey and our Defense didn't lose a step.

I remember the Broncos acquiring Champ and their Defense didn't lose a step..i.e. they were still getting torched through the air. Just ask Peyton.

(Actually lemme rephrase)

CB IS THE EASIEST POSITION-WEAKNESS TO DISGUISE IN A SCHEME.

No one has or will ever win a Superbowl, much less get to the playoffs, b/c of their Corners!!!!!*chuckle*

Even Safeties are more important than corners!!!!!

There is no argument here; b/c I'm an American, my mind is already made up!

Posted by: Vicc | October 21, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I know we have not seen a great defense this season (except for the Giants) ...

Posted by: Lisa_R | October 21, 2009 6:20 PM |

The Giants defense great? WTF! Their D was nuked pretty darn bad by NO and had been playing pasties up til then.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sufferinskinsfan | October 21, 2009 6:03 PM

There isn't likely to be a cap for next year, since the owners voided the remaining years of the current CBA, so it probably won't mean anything.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

From the Larry Weisman on redskins blog:

Posted by: TWISI | October 21, 2009 6:16 PM

Looks to me like Zorn has already been de facto fired. I don't blame Zorn for making Snyderrato do it officially, though. Don't let them off the hook.

Heck, maybe it's Sherm Lewis who gets the interim HC job.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 6:48 PM |

So the Skins can void out Port-o-let next year. I was wondering why his nose was looking so brown lately.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Anxious to see how Lewis calls plays, couldn't be as predictable as Zorn. Plus he owns 4 superbowl rings, his experience may be invaluable. We'll see. Dude is VERY OLD though. Hope that he remembers to come to the stadium.

Posted by: VegasJim | October 21, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

On Samuels, I think we let it play out instead of speculating too much.

I agree the Levi Jones signing did send a signal about where this is likely to go, but until the docs weigh in, I'm not ready to write off either Samuels' career or this season.

If Samuels needs to hang it up, let the docs tell him that. But if the docs think he's good to go, I'm fine with him playing again.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 6:53 PM

Yup. I suspect there's going to be a giant flushing sound coming from the direction of Ashburn next winter.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

From the Larry Weisman on redskins blog:

-------------------------------------------

Posted by: TWISI

If Sherm Lewis just told them something simple like, "when it's 3rd and 10, run an 11 yard or longer pass pattern" I would be happy. I am tired of seeing Jason Campbell padding his stats with underneath passes on 3rd and long that never get a first down.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 21, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Heck, maybe it's Sherm Lewis who gets the interim HC job.

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 6:53 PM |

Doubt that. But for those naysayers suggesting that an old fart like Sherm is too senile to do playcalling I would point out that Dan Henning, the same age as Sherm, called the game of his life a week ago when the Phins came from behind to beat the Jets.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 21, 2009 6:57 PM

Not necessarily. The West Coast Offense is all about yard after the catch. Of course, it helps if you have Jerry Rice doing the catching...

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 6:55 PM |

All indications are it is time for Sam to call it a day. And I wouldn't trust a team doc if my life depended on it. Witness what happened with Tbow and Brad. Both of them were brought back way too soon, Brad getting reinjured all over again. With Tbow and the brain injury he had the team should have held him out a month minimum. He's just lucky he has a good OL to protect him.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Philly's defense is pretty good. And yes, sometimes good teams have bad games. Which is not good news for the Redskins. Now Philly has something to prove, that last weeks game was a fluke. And its the NFC east.

On to Zorn. At this point the guy has to know that he's done. So say what the F and go out with a bang. Tell Lewis take a seat and go back to calling bingo. 4 and 5 WR sets. Sling down the field. Tell your O'line to hold 'em, byte 'em, claw 'em whatever you have to do to keep Campbell upright. Screw the penalties. On defense blitz Orakpo from the LB position. Bring Orakpo from one side and Landry from the other. Dare them you're going to knock the snot out of McNabb before he completes the pass.

It may not be pretty. You may lose spectacularly. But it could be fun to watch.

Posted by: elkiii_2008 | October 21, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

CB IS THE MOST OVERRATED POSITION ON THE FIELD.

I remember losing Champ Bailey and our Defense didn't lose a step.

(Actually lemme rephrase)

CB IS THE EASIEST POSITION-WEAKNESS TO DISGUISE IN A SCHEME.

Even Safeties are more important than corners!!!!!

There is no argument here; b/c I'm an American, my mind is already made up!

Posted by: Vicc

Actually, CB is less important and more important. There are very few cover corners and unless you have a bunch of good cover guys, defenses don't like to play a lot of man coverage. With 3 WR formations common, you'd need to play man coverage on 3 guys, not just 1. Few teams are willing to take that risk.

However, the secondary is more important, since there are lots of situations that call for 5 and 6 DBs. So the demand for corners is still high, you see 3 or more CBs on the field with great frequency.

Lastly, there is one special situation where having good CBs is a major difference maker, and that is against teams that run the wildcat and know what they are doing with it. Which is basically only Miami. The wildcat means you're unlikely to throw the ball, so really you'd want 8 DL and LBs and man coverage on receivers.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Those attending the game on Monday night should chant for the entire game "WE WANT COOKE!" "WE WANT COOKE!"............

Posted by: Ireland2 | October 21, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 6:58 PM

I doubt it, too. But it makes sense, in a weird sort of Snyderesque way.

Lewis was a longtime head coaching prospect with valuable experience as an OC on winning teams. He would come in with no ties to the existing staff and might provide the same sort of roster and staff evaluations that Singletary did in SF as interim HC last year.

Given his age and retired status, he's not likely to be an impediment to hiring someone else as the permanent HC in the off-season. Snyder could openly recruit and interview prospects from now until the end of the season without alienating the current HC.

And because he's African-American, there are no Rooney Rule issues with hiring Lewis from the outside as interim HC.

Actually, now that I think about it, hiring Lewis as interim HC makes too much sense for Snyder to actually do it.

But who knows, maybe Lewis could develop a part-time career as a temporary replacement coach. :)

Posted by: acoberst1 | October 21, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 6:55 PM |

Posted by: GLoad |

Well, we don't have any real indications at this point, just specualtion and conjecture. But I'm in total agreement that Samuels should see multiple docs on this -- its clearly is beyond the team doc.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

The alst piece of the puzzle is put in place.

1. Sherm is gonna relay plays through Sherm. No need for JZ.

2. JZ has no business messing with the defense, and i really don't think Greg and or Jerry would let him.

3. We already know Danny can call timeouts and manage the game better than JZ.

What else will remain on his plate? Nothing.

This week is all about making sure any bugs are worked out. He's gone come Tuesday.
If it would help I'd eat every day at Johnny Rockets to help dan feel secure in enough in cash flow to carry the contract and just pull the trigger and run him.

The really interesting part is that Morroco called Mason. Anybody got a data point as to whether this is the norm? It certainly seems like it would be the job of director of pro player personnel to inform players of their release, so i don't want to read to much into it.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

With all the speculation going on about who the new HC might be, two names that haven't gotten much press are Urban Meyer and Brian Kelly. Both are offensive gurus, which is probably what Snyder wants. Not a chance you might say, given the bad experience Snyder had with Spurrier. But the Old Ball Coach was a self-centered prick which neither of these two are. I like Kelly myself. He knows QBs and he has done a lot with a little. If Snyder got either one they would need a staff of experienced NFL types to soften the blow of jumping into the NFL from college. Don't know if either one has any NFL experience but if they do it hasn't been recent.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone posted this?

Posted by Mike Florio on October 21, 2009 5:42 PM ET
In what appears to be another effort by the Redskins to wave in the face of coach Jim Zorn the pieces of his manhood that have been surgically removed, Zorn won't be relaying the play calls from Sherm Lewis to the quarterback during Monday night's game against the Eagles.

Earlier this week, Zorn said that Lewis will be in the booth, that Lewis will communicate the play to Zorn on the sideline, and that Zorn will send the information to the field. Wednesday, Zorn said that Sherman Smith will instead be the middleman.

It's possible that Zorn opted not to be involved in the chain of communication, since his only input would be to repeat the series of words, letters, and/or numbers. It's also possible that others decided that Zorn might be in position to "misunderstand" Lewis or to deliberately overrule him, defeating the purpose of removing the function from Zorn's plate.

Jim, if you have any pride whatsoever, turn off your computer, grab your keys, get up, and leave that place. You'll get another job next year when Mike Holmgren is back in the league.

Unless, of course, Holmgren is working for the Redskins.

Posted by: jm220 | October 21, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Watching the video with Zorn and Billick reinforces how out of his zone Zorn is.

Couple of roughly transcribed excerpts:

"we're pretty good in pass protection except for the breakdowns ... "

"Our QB play will improve based on our pass protection and our run game and play action"

"we need to be better in the red zone and avoid the OL breakdowns and get our young WRs up to speed and other than that, I'm pretty pleased ..."

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

The alst piece of the puzzle is put in place.

1. Sherm is gonna relay plays through Sherm. No need for JZ.

3. We already know Danny can call timeouts and manage the game better than JZ.

What else will remain on his plate? Nothing.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2009 7:17 PM |

I agree. He should use the sick days he got in his contract before it's too late.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 7:22 PM

Given that the Skins practice in Ashburn and play in Landover, would the former have to change his name to Suburban Meyer?

Thank you.

Posted by: freakzilla | October 21, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | October 21, 2009 7:23 PM |

This is all CYA PR shti. Per the owner, Lewis will be speaking directly to Campbell with Smith on the line to help with any translation or knowledge gaps that might come up.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

1. Sherm is gonna relay plays through Sherm. No need for JZ.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | October 21, 2009 7:17 PM |

Wonder if Z is going to have the balls to actually wear a headset on MNF. He could even put it on mute and talk into it like he was actually telling peeps something. Heh, heh.

Posted by: GLoad | October 21, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I guess Sherman Lewis will need to update his business cards

Before:

Sherman Lewis
Extra Pair of Eyes
Redskins Park, VA

After:

Sherman Lewis
Extra Pair of Eyes/Play Caller
Redskins Park, VA

Posted by: zcezcest1 | October 21, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Chris Samuels should retire, he is a great player. The risk is just not worth it. I think he could be a great commentator. Knowing the risk he is playing with scares the hell out of me, I do not know how he could do it.

Posted by: m_p_holmes | October 21, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse