Samuels placed on IR list (updated)

As expected, the Redskins on Saturday placed Pro Bowl left tackle Chris Samuels on the season-ending injured-reserve list because of a severe neck injury that has likely ended his career.

Samuels has not played since suffering the injury Oct. 11 in the first quarter of a 20-17 loss to the Carolina Panthers. Several physicians have told Samuels he risks paralysis if he continues to play football, league sources said last week, and the 10-year veteran has told people in the organization he plans to retire. But Samuels plans to wait until he meets with a specialist in December or January to make a final decision, a source close to the player said recently.

Samuels in high school was diagnosed with stenosis, a narrowing of the spine, but the condition did not stop him from becoming an All-American and Outland Trophy winner at Alabama and the anchor of the Redskins' offensive line since his rookie season. He was taken by Washington with the third overall pick in the 2000 draft, just after LaVar Arrington.

"With Chris out there, I never had to worry, I knew he always had my back," quarterback Jason Campbell said last week. "Just having that confidence that Chris was there and my blindside was covered ... it's a big blow when you lose someone like that. It's a big blow to the whole team."

Center Casey Rabach agreed. "Forget about losing one of the best tackles in this game, which Chris is, you're talking about losing one of the hardest workers and best teammates you could imagine," Rabach said last week. "Chris is just one of those guys who makes a difference, in the right way, for a lot of reasons."

Samuels played in the first five games for the Redskins (2-5), who have lost three in a row and are in their bye week. A six-time Pro Bowl selection, Samuels has started and played in 141 regular-season games since entering the league. His 2008 season was cut short because of a triceps injury and he underwent triceps and knee surgeries in the offseason.

The placement of Samuels on IR creates a vacant roster spot. With the Redskins on their bye week, they'll resume practice Monday at Redskins Park.

By Jason Reid  |  October 31, 2009; 4:11 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: At the bye: Special teams have their ups, downs
Next: Rabach: the man in the middle

Comments

Why don't the Skins use Lorenzo Alexander exclusively as an offensive lineman and activate A. Montgomery?

Griffin, Golston and Haynesworth are all playing with an assortment of injuries. Monty brings more push and power than Alexander IMO.

Posted by: elfreako | October 31, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

_____________________________

I would agree with that move. Alexander could possibly be a very good option at right guard.

Posted by: dfbovey | October 31, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

_____________________________

Posted by: dfbovey | October 31, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: The_Spear | October 31, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I think the Lorenzo on offense ship has sailed. He's been an effective contributor on the d-line, plays special teams well, and you really can't ask someone to play many more snaps than that.
It was good to see him as the extra TE last week.

Posted by: daggar | October 31, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

What Daggar said...they're happy with Alexander doing what he's doing.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 31, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

What Daggar said...they're happy with Alexander doing what he's doing.

Posted by: CindyBoren | October 31, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

see what chris has to say on his blog

Posted by: nattylite88 | October 31, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see them sign Chase Daniels
who is free now and put him in as QB.

Lets get ready for 2010.

The Jason Campbell experiment is over.
He is going backwards instead of forwards--
unfortunate, but true and sad.

Posted by: soc22210 | October 31, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Lorenzo Alexander slimmed down in the off season to have a little more speed since he was moving to defensive end. He's a very light offensive lineman at this point and he probably wouldn't be as effective as he has been in the past. He's one of my favorite players, but I think defense is where he is going to contribute the most. Let's face it, the team is stuck with what it has on the offensive line as Vinny is not capable of unearthing some rare talent that other teams have whiffed on. The LJ signing makes me wonder about how much he will be able to contribute as the Redskins were like the last ones in line at the LJ buffet.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 31, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

even if we have the best oline in football, we still have a terrible qb that DROPS THE BALL WHEN NO ONE IS AROUND HIM.

Posted by: BMACattack | October 31, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

since they have already signed OT Levi Jones....can they give Marko Mitchell a shot in the vacant active slot???????????

Posted by: pennstate1 | October 31, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

"...since they have already signed OT Levi Jones..."

Since they've put Chris Samuels on IR and he intends to retire, will Levi Jones prove to be a more than adequate tackle?

If he does, that really puts the team in a nice spot as it can take a big time free agent right tackle or draft on and come out ahead.

The team needs to make the same kind of financial and talent acquisition with the offensive that it's made with the defense.

Posted by: MistaMoe | October 31, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see them sign Chase Daniels
who is free now and put him in as QB.

Posted by: soc22210 | October 31, 2009 5:36 PM

Why Chase Daniel? Why not Drew Brees? They're both on the roster of the News Orleans Saints, so we have as good a chance of getting Brees as we do of getting Daniel. Plus Brees is better than Daniel.

Posted by: League-Source | October 31, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | October 31, 2009 6:41 PM

That's the best time to drop it. If someone were around him, they'd have a chance to recover it.

Posted by: League-Source | October 31, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

I think the Lorenzo on offense ship has sailed.

Posted by: daggar | October 31, 2009 5:07 PM

Ship sailed, but what about the train? Has it left the station yet?

Posted by: League-Source | October 31, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I believe the train was hit by the plane wreck.

Posted by: daggar | October 31, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

So, help me noodle this one through.

Sherm the worm comes in and with two weeks notice, against one of the top two defenses we've faced, equals the highest score total of the Playcaller. And this is with the QB making a couple of characteristic early mistakes, and the defense making a pair of uncharacteristic mistakes that allowed the opponent to tee off on our o-line for the entire second half.

I'm not gonna take this and look at us going 5-0 from here, but I sure do think that Zorn is part of the problem. Maybe it's just that Sherm gets Jason a bit better, or vice versa, but if they get two more weeks together, and time will make them better, can I dream of a week where we -- win or lose -- can claim to watch an effective offensive performance?

Posted by: daggar | October 31, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

We had a shot in getting Drew Brees when he became a free agent from San Diego. That ship has sailed. Wish I had answers for the offensive line. (sigh)

Posted by: RedCherokee | October 31, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see them sign Chase Daniels
who is free now and put him in as QB.

Lets get ready for 2010.

Yep, great way to lose every single game the whole rest of the way. Smart move. You should be GM.

Posted by: periculum | October 31, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

More inclined to suspect they will go with Mike Williams at left tackle some point. He quietly continues to improve in spite of all the flack he is taking from the pundits and so-called experts around the NFL. and was originally ranked as a top OT out of college and it is his natural position. It may take a bit more time, but I suspect he may end up as the only silver lining that will come out of this season.

Jones would be far better at right tackle where there would be less "stress" and hopefully along with less likelihood of those injuries he is know for.

Posted by: periculum | October 31, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Again, Zorn is a symptom, not the problem. The problem is named Daniel M. Snyder. He is the reason the HC of the Redskins is a guy who never even held the offensive coordinator position in the NFL. Much less head coach. Its Snyder.

Posted by: periculum | October 31, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse

periculum,
I disagree. I will admit that Mike Williams has come a long way but he still misses on those blocks you would want a left tackle to make protecting the QB's blind side. He's not a left tackle. I get the feeling the team would much rather have him at guard.

As far as LJ, he is just a one season stop-gap. I don't think they have enough of an emotional or financial investment in the guy to look for him to stick around too long. He has a history of injuries and that sort of thing tends to accelerate the older a player gets.

What the team has is a bunch of pieces on the offensive line to limp through the season with. Next season will be the beginning of some major rebuilding, assuming, of course, Vinny gets over his rectal-cranial inversion.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 31, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

If Levi does improve the O line (where else would it go?), then I would lean towards starting Todd for a couple of weeks. JC is playing so badly - especially when it comes to blitz recognition and finding the open guy, I just do not see it working out for him anytime soon.

It comes down to youth and athletic ability (ability to scramble) vs veteran experience using pre-snap reads and better field vision/progression reads to quickly and accurately get the ball out to the right guy.

This is not a long term solution, but it could salvage some wins. (yes, I'm still playing to win...)

With the open roster spot created by Samuels, I'd seriously look at adding Corey Clark (OT Chargers) or Alex Boone (OT 49ers) to get a head start on building the new O line.

Posted by: edvar | October 31, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

They are practice squad players at the moment.

Posted by: edvar | October 31, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | October 31, 2009 10:58 PM

They put Todd in and he didn't play any better than JC.

Posted by: League-Source | October 31, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

They put the Todd in after the o-line was gashed. I think that's another ship that has sailed.

Someone Up Here was talking about how Payton Manning couldn't move this offense. I want him to finish making the arrangements, and we'll give it a whirl.

Posted by: daggar | October 31, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

They put Todd in and he didn't play any better than JC.

They put Todd in for one half, Jason has played the WHOLE SEASON and is going backwards.

We know what we have with Jason, he did not respond to the benching by improving his game. Why not bench him again. Seriously, after 4 years of making the same mistakes over and over again, what do you expect to change?

Todd could play better with some time with the starting O in practice, and this would be the week to do it.

If we don't change it up, we're stuck with JC. Is that what you want to watch for the rest of the season? We already know how that story ends.

Posted by: edvar | October 31, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Just read on ESPN that Blades and Westbrook both had Knee surgey, Hmmmm, whats the word on that WaPo ?

Posted by: ThrowItToMyTeam | October 31, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

The_Spear wrote: "Good thing the team spent the past few years rebuilding the oline to compensate for age and injuries or we would be screwed....."

I think that you are confusing the Redskins with a different team...they tend to go after high profile free agents and draft playmakers, not position players. There really is no depth to speak of at this point.

Posted by: skipper7 | October 31, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Any pro-bowl Skins this year? Suischem maybe?

Posted by: coparker5 | November 1, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

_____________________________

Posted by: dfbovey

The best option of course would be to clone him.

Posted by: TheCork | November 1, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

In a way I'm happy for Chris. Very honorable service, and with any luck he'll get out without any serious physical damage, and with his body AND mind still whole.

Some scary stuff coming out about irreperable brain damage, especially to Olinemen.

Also, he'll be free from the Nightmare surrounding him.

Posted by: TheCork | November 1, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

The answer is so obvious: Andre' Woodson.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | November 1, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

As I predicted before the x-season began, the 'SKINS are scanning the waver wire for any undiscovered talent left out there. I knew it would be a free-for-all the entire season on the o-line. I loved the bag-man's vehament denials that he and ownership had purposely left ZORN to twist in the wind, a prescient comment I broached in July. I don't buy it at all. Wasn't it PAUL who denied the man twice before the cock crowed? Oh yes, I think PAUL is still one up on VINNIE.

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 1, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: daggar | October 31, 2009 8:29 PM |

Guess who OD'ed on his "Trick or Treat" booty

Posted by: JumboJimbo | November 1, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Wow Samuels is done..........thats a big wakeup call to the FO.... DRAFT SOME FU&KING O line man....NOW.... With the 7th pick the Washington Redskins select "some bitvh a$$ QB who will be crushed behind a line that ......I'm out!

Posted by: FedorEm | November 1, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | October 31, 2009 10:58 PM |

Boone is too slow to deter good edge rushers. Don't know anything about Corey Clark.

Posted by: JumboJimbo | November 1, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

The time has come to draft our new LT and RT. We have no other choice.

Posted by: FedorEm | November 1, 2009 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Chase Daniel was waived by the Saints on Oct. 12th to make room for kicker Garret Hartley's return, so yes, he is available.

Posted by: Ireland2 | November 1, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Ireland2 | November 1, 2009 7:14 AM

Do your homework. He was re-signed by the Saints on October 16 when they put Rod Harper on IR. So, he was available for three days, but he's not available today.

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar

No one could play with this starting O-line..even if they practice the entire off-season...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | November 1, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: edvar | October 31, 2009 11:14 PM

So you think Todd's problem that Sunday was not enough practice with the Big Boys? And would that teach him to avoid a rush, not take sacks, hold onto the ball when he's smacked, and not throw interceptions? Would that raise his 60.1 QB rating?

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

No. What I want to watch for the rest of the season is Drew Brees but I'm stuck with these guys.....
Posted by: League-Source

The NFL ticket or a Sports bar...that's your ticket

Posted by: jcnjcnj | November 1, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

I'd be for putting Collins in. I think he could make faster reads and get the ball away more quickly. Granted, he is not going to make much happen with his legs, but I balance that with getting the ball out quicker. I am speculating that Zorn would give Collins a little more leeway in calling audibles since he may have seen a few more defensive fronts that JC.

I truly believe that JC has lost faith in his offensive line and his mind is now stuck in permanent avoid-the-hit mode. He's hearing footsteps. When a QB is thinking more about the guys coming after him than getting the ball downfield, it is time to make a change.

I don't think TC would be the salvation of the team. In fact, I think he would only be only a small amount better. If we could rewind the season, I would dump Collins and sign Leftwich, but we can't go back in time. Jeff Garcia is still out there, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to work him out, sign him if he still has something left in the tank.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 1, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 1, 2009 8:18 AM

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

"More inclined to suspect they will go with Mike Williams at left tackle some point....Levi Jones would be far better at right tackle..."

If anything, these comments stand as evidence that the team might could out of the chaos of 2009 with some solutions for the offensive line.

If the redskins take a tackle--Russell Okung--with the first pick, it would still have two veteran tackles battling for the right side starting spot.

That is a 'win-win' situation for the redskins no matter how many losses pile up this season.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 1, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Folks who want the skins to draft offensive linemen should check out some of the kids they suggest the team draft.

Like Russell Okung, left tackle Okla State.

Okung simply man-handled the Texas defensive end matched up against him last night.

He moves well, drive blocks well, got downfield to block, seems agile and study enough to start in the NFL next weekend if need be.

In fact, physically he seems like what would happen if Michael Oher had Phil Loadholdt's body and same athleticism.

The skins would do well the draft the guy.

But like with the case of the aforementioned Loadhodlt and Oher, they might not.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 1, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

"I'd be for putting Collins in..."

This reads like it should say, "I'd be all for pouring more gasoline on the fire."

"And who's against that?"

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 1, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe--If Okung is there in the second round, Snyder might consider it. First round is for a QB.

For that matter, Okung will probably not be there when the 'Skins pick in the first round.

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 8:25 AM

In the KC game Soup and Collins each played a half. Soup led the team to no points and a 46.1 rating; Collins actually led the team to a 6-3 lead in the middle of the third and had a 60.1 rating in the loss.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

We all agree that the Skins need to draft o lineman. This is only going to happen if Dan shows Vinny teh door at the end of the year. (I hoping before then) If not he doesn't look for the same ol same ol.

Posted by: jm220 | November 1, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jm220 | November 1, 2009 8:39 AM

Vinny or no Vinny, if Snyder owns the team, all signs point to Tebow -- especially if Gruden's the next coach. Gruden loves Tebow and is eager to put him in the wildcat offense. Do you think Snyder can resist a Tebow/wildcat combo?

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

League-Source to go with Tebow will be worse than picking up Arch. I only watch a little of the game yesterday but notice on one play Tebow couldn't get around the one d end. That right there told me he will be crushed in the NFL. I am hoping that Dan gets a smart GM who will not go after Tebow or Gruden. Not sold on Gruden either.

Posted by: jm220 | November 1, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 8:38 AM

So he was winning before he lost it? He's like John Kerry, "I voted for that bill before I voted against it."

Campbell QB rating -- 85.8, 18th in league
Collins -- 60.1, right between Delhomme and Sanchez

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you on that jm. But who knows which direction Snyder will go at the end of the season? Or, for that matter, at the end of the week? Guy is more scary than a vampire on Halloween.

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

"...all signs point to Tebow -- especially if Gruden's the next coach. Gruden loves Tebow and is eager to put him in the wildcat offense. Do you think Snyder can resist a Tebow/wildcat combo?"

Hiring Jon Gruden to coach the redskins would be a mistake as would be drafting Tim Tebow.

The skins would do well to get a new offensive line coach--nothing against J Buges, btw.

The skins should re-interview Greg Williams--a guy who knows the team well and hire him to coach.

Then, the FO should support Grilliams and give the finger to any player who wants to stab him in the back.

Sherm Lewis and Jerry Gray should stay on board.

Greg Blache should be encouraged to retire.

Jim Zorn will make a fine college coach for a program that draws the attention of overachieving high school quarterbacks.

Danny Smith isn't a keeper as he'd have to explain the retarded decision of allowing Antawn Randle El to operate as a punt returner weekend and week out.

And if you disagree with these comments, then we are both in agreement on one thing: the team has a myriad of decisions to make, each more important than the other.

Which is why the decision to blow up the roster is the easiest one.

And on that, we can all agree.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 1, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Potential Redskin Head Coaches?

Greg Williams

Jason Garrett

Brian Schottenheimer

Russ Grimm (and he's a line coach, imagine that!)

Jeff Fisher (if he fired, grab him before he finds a tv gig)

The Hot Coordinator (the dude the media makes a star out of as with the playoffs, the run out of crap to cover, so they make a mountain of news out of a mole hill of a clipboard carrier)

Coach X (the under the radar dude that already has a signed deal, but is waiting out the season and Zorn's firing to reveal it)

Jim Zorn (he might not fired or quit, ya know).

And in all seriousness, does anyone think he'll be sent packing?

Doubt it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 1, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Guy is more scary than a vampire on Halloween.

Posted by: League-Source

LMAO!

Posted by: jm220 | November 1, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Jim Zorn (he might not fired or quit, ya know).

And in all seriousness, does anyone think he'll be sent packing?

Doubt it.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Mist what did you have this morning? Leave that sht alone! No way Zorn stays past this year.

Posted by: jm220 | November 1, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Collins came into the game after having taken only about 20% of the snaps with the first team the week before. Let's see how he looks with a full week of practice under his belt before we throw him under the bus, okay? I am not saying Collins is going to be the road to the Superbowl, BTW; I am saying he gives them a better chance, if just marginally, to win than Campbell.

Everyone wants to quote stats about the two. I could care less. Collins brings something to the huddle that Campbell doesn't have and you won't find it on any stat sheet. Campbell goes back to the huddle and whispers. I remember one of the players saying he has to ask Jason to speak up sometimes in the huddle because he cannot hear him. Is this a vocal leader? Does he get in the face of someone when they do something wrong? I still think Campbell could win, despite this weakness, if he only could stand in the pocket and throw the ball. Watch him over the last few games. He throws like he is in a phone booth. He is worried about getting hit. He rushes passes. He dumps off to the safety valve way too often. He is playing scared. I understand why he is playing scared, but that doesn't make his performance any more forgiveable. He gets paid a lot of money to stand in the pocket and deliver a catchable ball, and he is not getting that done. Bench him. Play the other guy. If that doesn't work try something else.

This whole discussion is probably moot at this point. JC is going to go down with an injury this season and TC will be the starter. This offensive line is too leaky for one quarterback to stay healthy for the entire season - even if he is rushing his passes or pulling the ball down and scrambling.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 1, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

"If Okung is there in the second round, Snyder might consider it. First round is for a QB."

If Okung is there in the second round?

Have you checked this kid out?

He's a legit top five tackle.

The skins would do well to sign J Campbell to a low ball incentive laden deal and give themselves two years to draft, re-coach, and rebuild their offensive line.

Let Campbell get paid to take the pounding.

Why ruin a young'n behind a horrible line?

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 1, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 8:52 AM

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 8:25 AM

Collins rating was 14 points higher than Soups in the same game. How did Collins do worse than soup again?

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

"...I only watch a little of the game yesterday but notice on one play Tebow couldn't get around the one d end."

Tebow would be a fine third round selection for a team that has a quarterback, and likes the 'wildcat'.

His passing numbers come from throwing to the likes of Percy Harvin and Lewis Murphy: two guys who've moved on to play well in the NFL.

His delivery isn't compact or quick and he doesn't read the whole field.

In fact, Tim Tebow is Micheal Vick at VaTech without the quickness.

He hasn't shown the NFL ability to 'dink and dunk' the ball all over the field in the way Bradford, Locker, and McCoy do.

And those guys are all NFL ready.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 1, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Not sold on Gruden either.

Posted by: jm220

I agree Chuckie sucks he wont do anything for the Skins..He needs a team on the verge of a championship in order to win. He would take the following teams to the Super Bowl:

NE Pats.
NY Giants
NO Saints
Minn
Alanta
Indy
Baltimore
Pitt..they are the champs so he would mess them up..

Any other team fogetaboutit...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | November 1, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 9:20 AM

Campbell QB rating -- 85.8, 18th in league
Collins -- 60.1, right between Delhomme and Sanchez

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Potential Redskin Head Coaches?

Greg Williams

Jason Garrett

Brian Schottenheimer

Russ Grimm (and he's a line coach, imagine that!)

Jeff Fisher (if he fired, grab him before he finds a tv gig)

Jim Zorn (he might not fired or quit, ya know).

And in all seriousness, does anyone think he'll be sent packing?

Doubt it.
Posted by: MistaMoe | November 1, 2009 9:10 AM

I threw out Billick as a potential dark horse for the skins gig. Billick wanted an interview the last time, but didn't get it. He has done several skins game over the last two years, so he'll have an idea of the personnel and coaches on staff.

He's another name to keep an eye out on, Kyle Shanahan. He comes with the perk of having dad being a part of the team in some capacity. Also, he's got the WCO thing down and he's a very good coordinator. Not sureif he calls plays, but dad may do that.

Posted by: TWISI | November 1, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Potential Redskin Head Coaches?

Greg Williams

Jason Garrett

Brian Schottenheimer

Russ Grimm (and he's a line coach, imagine that!)

Jeff Fisher (if he fired, grab him before he finds a tv gig)

Jim Zorn (he might not fired or quit, ya know).

And in all seriousness, does anyone think he'll be sent packing?

Doubt it.
Posted by: MistaMoe | November 1, 2009 9:10 AM

He's another name to keep an eye out on, Kyle Shanahan. He comes with the perk of having dad being a part of the team in some capacity. Also, he's got the WCO thing down and he's a very good coordinator. Not sure if he calls plays, but dad may do that.

Posted by: TWISI | November 1, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Someone at the Post needs to be taken off the NFL beat and consigned to covering baseball. This is what he wrote in NFL Gameday about the Iggles and Ginas game:

"This is the second-best game of the day in Philly; the Yankees and Phillies play a World Series game across the street at night."

A "World Series" game? Any football game -- even today's matchup between St. Louis (0-7) and Detroit (1-5) is more compelling than any baseball game, including the seventh game of the World Series.

By the way, who do we like in St. Louis vs. Detroit? I mean, in terms of draft picks. Too bad they can't both lose.

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Or, better still, both win. Ginas and Iggles should both lose.

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

So league source, you're saying JC 17 is your guy?

You're going to compare a consistent, season-long blight that has been JC 17 to 2 quarters of relief football where Collins out performed him and made the hook-up with Moss - and still stay with JC17? Because those are the choices right now my friend. Stay with Soup or try Collins again.

I'd be interested to hear your case for Soup rather then just negative posts about Collins.

Posted by: edvar | November 1, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 9:20 AM

Campbell QB rating -- 85.8, 18th in league
Collins -- 60.1, right between Delhomme and Sanchez

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 10:03 AM

Nice try. I'll conclude that you know Collins did better in the same game. 60.1 to 46.1 for your boy. Some points for DC vs. no points for DC with your boy in the same game.

HTTR

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

HTTR

Posted by: Realness1

IMO they both aren't the long term answer, but TC didn't have time to get his, "rythm" as JC uses as an excuse constantly.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | November 1, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I have nothing positive to say about the present state of the Washington Redskinss.

But I do have this to say:

GO YANKS!!!!!!

Like I said, I have nothing positive to say about the Washington Redskins.

And looking at some of the comments listed here, it looks like I'll be bored to death Monday Night watching the Yanks accept another World Championship while other people will get put to sleep watching Monday Night Football.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 1, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | November 1, 2009 12:57 AM

That was Peter.

Posted by: freakzilla | November 1, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

The people want change.

"Put Jason Campbell in."

"Put Todd Collins in."

Does it matter where you sit if your riding across the ocaean on the Titanic?

Not really.

So if the people want to do something constructive, they should change their seats while watching games.

Or, better yet: change the channel.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 1, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

HTTR

Posted by: Realness1

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | November 1, 2009 11:41 AM

Agreed. The best players should play. I'd be happy to see DC fire Vinny and replace him with better quality, trade back to get picks for O linemen and Locker if he comes out. At least let Collins, whomever else and Colt have a true QB battle in the next training camp and get a good OT and OG for next year.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

The one thing people who read this board regularly will learn:

The backup QB is always better than the starter.

Posted by: TheCork | November 1, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

After seeing the Coen Brothers' brilliant new movie "A Serious Man" I know what's wrong with the Redskins: Someone invited a Dybbuk into Redskins Park.

Posted by: TheCork | November 1, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

The one thing people who read this board regularly will learn:

The backup QB is always better than the starter.

Posted by: TheCork | November 1, 2009 12:07 PM |

But with the Skins most peeps are dumping on Campbell, few are demanding Collins replace him.

Posted by: JumboJimbo | November 1, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

For all of those fans who are fed up with the Snyder regime, I am asking all fans to stay on the concourse until after the kickoff for the next home game in 2 weeks. We need to show Dan Snyder and the Redskins organization that we won't be subjected to the treatment (signs, t-shirts, etc) that has been imposed on us. Let the Redskin organization see an empty stadium at the kickoff and understand that we won't tolerate this treatment any more. If we can show this sign of fan solidarity, it will help the cause and hopefully show to Snyder and the Redskins that our opinion does count. He can take away the signs, escort fans with what he considers offensive t-shirts and people chanting out of the stadium, but he can't make us go to our seats before the game starts. This can send a powerful message and show our solidarity.

Redskin Mike!

Posted by: MiddleOfTheRoad4 | November 1, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

"So it doesn't matter who starts for the Washington Redskins when it, like a sinking ship, is headed in one direction."

I don't agree, and I think we should be willing to change things up a little to find out. We are not getting blown out of games.

I think a few more sustained drives will make a big difference. I think one more touchdown and one more FG will make a big difference.

Maybe Toddball can make that difference. Wde know that JC 17 will not.

Posted by: edvar | November 1, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

The backup QB is always better than the starter.

Posted by: TheCork | November 1, 2009 12:07 PM

This particular backup's #'s are better than the starter.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 1, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Most importantly, winning percentage as DC's QB.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Look, I don't think Collins is a long term answer and a potential probowler. I just think Soup can't get it done and should be benched for poor performance and that leaves Todd...or sign some guy off the street. We
haven't signed anybody, so its Todd.

That's all I'm saying...

Posted by: edvar | November 1, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | November 1, 2009 10:13 AM |

Brain/Marty Schottenheimer is a better son/dad prospect. He is a young O guru with OC experience. Plus if the Skins went with him, he could talk Dad into being the DC. There wouldn't be no farting around there no more, that's for sure.

Posted by: JumboJimbo | November 1, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Win or lose, watching the Ravens game will remind DC fans of what quality team construction looks like... Remember Ozzie 23, Vinny 0 from the preseason.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Campbell QB rating -- 85.8, 18th in league
Collins -- 60.1, right between Delhomme and Sanchez

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 10:03 AM

Nice try. I'll conclude that you know Collins did better in the same game.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 11:22 AM

So, I conclude you agree that Campbell is a better QB than Collins, but you're stuck on the notion that Collins at his best is better than Campbell at his worst.

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Hard to believe that at this pint in the season the Skins sacks leaders would have more than the Giants.

Posted by: JumboJimbo | November 1, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

ls, I could have brought up 2007's QB ratings but knew you were smart enough to acknowledge that Collins was better then too. Soups' best has never been better than Collins' with DC. It's clear you love the under performing loser despite the facts and wins and losses. Don't recall you championing him during the Philly game on Monday; maybe it was too obvious for you. Get your Soup Fathead now (99% off) and set up the shrine before he becomes a career back up that can't read a D like his clone Kyle Boller. The best players on the roster should play most.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

No one wants to say it, but it needs to be said-

F the cowgirls!

any way the jints and crows can both lose?

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 1, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm sitting here watching 2-3 games and seeing offenses move the ball and making big plays. It pisses me off when I think of the skins offense, i mean WTF have we been watching from the skins this season. Are they that incompetent, that pitiful? The skins offense is on a high school level compared to alot of other NFL teams.

Posted by: pennstate1 | November 1, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

any way the jints and crows can both lose?

Posted by: Curzon417 | November 1, 2009 1:36 PM

A tie w/ many injuries?

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Soooooooo......... Let me get this straight the two dummies undermine the confidence of the first string QB in the off season by chasing after Sanchez and Cutler like two johh's after a K st.HO on a friday night,then they screw up the draft by not drafting any 0-lineman of note further undermining the offensive scheme(what little they had under Zorn) and this after they saw the team go in the tank after a 6-2 start because of...........SURPRISE!!! O-line injuries and some of you who post on this blog were all for it(the chasing of Cutler and Sanchez) who both have more interceptions than Campbell and you continue to call for Collins to start even though he's immobile and and can't stretch the field, mind boggling, simply and utterly mind boggling!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 1, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow, people here arguing about whether Campbell or Collins is better? It's all academic. Might as well talk about whether blue is a better color than green. This season's absolutely over, it's irretrievable... and Campbell will definitely be replaced by Snyder/Cerrato by next season, whether they bring someone in that's actually better or not (vet or draftee).

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 1, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

The best players on the roster should play most.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 1:13 PM

Except at QB where you want to make an exception and play Collins.

Jason Campbell, lifetime QB rating, 81.2
Todd Collins, lifetime QB rating, 75.8

Let it go, Realness. You got nothing.

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 1, 2009 1:50 PM

It's Collins' job to lose.

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Offensive problems solved.
Put Randel El back at qb,move Santana to the slot. Put Marko at one reciver postion and Kelly at the other. Then we could run the wildcat. At least we could get some use out of Randel El,pass the ball or run for your life.

Posted by: gregblanchsucks | November 1, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Let it go, Realness. You got nothing.

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 1:52 PM

Compare their DC numbers and winning percentages and pass to TD ratios, genius: you got nothing. Keep loving the loser. I know it must be hard to concede that you keep betting on the loser. Good luck with that.

Posted by: Realness1 | November 1, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Soup can't get it done and should be benched for poor performance and that leaves Todd...or sign some guy off the street. We haven't signed anybody, so its Todd.

That's all I'm saying ...

Jason Campbell, lifetime QB rating, 81.2
Todd Collins, lifetime QB rating, 75.8

Does it matter? Again, Soups is gone, he has seen what Champ Bailey has seen. He has seen more, even with Gibbs the problem that is Daniel M. Snyder remains, persists and festers possibly creating the scenario where Campbell is a less than adequate QB here and a superstar somewhere else.
Campbell IS GONE. Unless he is a fool, (doubtful), he isn't going to be here next year. Collins is pushing Brett Favre land age wise. He likely will not be here next year. There is still NO OL that the team can rely on. There are wide receivers in way too much abundance and lots of average running backs.
Factor in a completely dysfunctional, in complete disarray organization top-to-bottom. Except on the defensive side of the ball. And if Blache decides to retire from the circus?
Bottom line: don't worry about Soups, its not worth discussing, he's going, going, gone, gone, gone and gone. Okay?

Posted by: periculum | November 1, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | November 1, 2009

I was beginning to give up hope. Finally someone speaks who has some brain power!

Posted by: periculum | November 1, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pennstate1
_______________________

Exactly. And a very funny thing for me is that during the Skins games, and right after, EVERYONE blogging on RI can see and realize this team isn't going anywhere because of how bad the Oline and QB are. And then magically, only about 2 days after these pitiful games against the worst in the league, some people start becoming optimistic again about this season... Well if we do this, and a little of this, and and... well the season's not over yet!

Yes it is. It's over. It was DOA. (Thank you Vinny for your playoff caliber team. Does Dan really buy that tripe?) I see that completely unfounded optimism renewing itself right here in this thread. Ah the joy of a short memory.

At this point, all that matters is what the Skins do to change themselves in the offseason (and the offseason effectively started a few games ago).

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 1, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

EVERYONE blogging on RI can see and realize this team isn't going anywhere because of how bad the Oline and QB are ...

Imagine what it would be like if those 2 great QB's Sanchez and Cutler were here? I wonder if Bears fans think they would be better off with Campbell? They may get their wish and a chance to find out.

Yeah, the O-line is actually worst than you can possibly imagine ... but it may improve now with Jones and the very steady progress by Williams at tackle. If Snidely leaves things alone I suspect we would see somewhat dramatic improvement toward the end of the year. Probably too late to matter. Still ... But I know Snidely the sneering Rockville Owl. He won't leave well enough alone.

Posted by: periculum | November 1, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't it TheCork who was up here saying that Desean Jackson is a better receiver than Devin Thomas? I'm starting to think he might have been right. I hate it when TheCork is right. But I think this was the only time.

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

How about them Eegs. The Jack and Mack attack! Whew! The Skins were lucky that McN had a off day against them or they would have been keel hauled just like the Giants are right now.

Posted by: JumboJimbo | November 1, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: periculum | November 1, 2009 2:17 PM |

Finally got to that apple in your booty bag that was spiked with LSD?

Posted by: JumboJimbo | November 1, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

The eagle young receivers are producing because they are given the opportunity to play. If Marko Mithcell was on the eagles team, he would be playing and catching touchdowns. What do the skins do to their young receivers? they keep them on the bench until they are doing exactly what Zorn wants them to do, how he wants them to do it and when he wants them to do it. In other words Zorn wants them to be PERFECT before they are given a chance to play. Zorn may give them one play here and one play in the second half and they'll be inactive the next week. Of course Marko has been inactive all 7 games so far, I guess he's not PERFECT yet.

Posted by: pennstate1 | November 1, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pennstate1 | November 1, 2009 2:42 PM |

Tow pints.

1. Mark aint Jack or Mack.
2. Camp ain't McN.

But dream on as much as you like.

Posted by: JumboJimbo | November 1, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Tow pints.

1. Mark aint Jack or Mack.
2. Camp ain't McN.

But dream on as much as you like.

Posted by: JumboJimbo | November 1, 2009 2:46 PM
====
Can i have a "pint" of what you are drinking?....make that "tow"

Posted by: pennstate1 | November 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Tow pints.

I'm still on my first pint, but I like the way you count.

Posted by: daggar | November 1, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Zorn wants them to be PERFECT before they are given a chance to play.

Posted by: pennstate1
_________________________

I agree that Zorn is too plodding in playing young WR's (though he's using Devin more now), but I'd also say this is still mostly on Vinny because of the state of the Oline (and then the QB). If we had a reasonably competent offense, and that all starts with the Oline, we'd be regularly scoring more points and more confident about trying other plays, packages and players. The Eagles' fundamentals are pretty good (at Oline and QB), so they have more flexibility and confidence in general.

Posted by: chasgiffen | November 1, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Tow pints.

1. Mark aint Jack or Mack.
2. Camp ain't McN.

But dream on as much as you like.

Posted by: JumboJimbo | November 1, 2009 2:46 PM
===
And i guess we'll never know what Marko can become, he may not play at all this season. It wouldn't surprise if the skins cut him in the off season because he "didn't" make produce enough. That's what sorry a$$ team do

Posted by: pennstate1 | November 1, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

"Third down, Phi. DC has a decision. He likes to blitz, but if you're up by so much do you keep the pressure dialed up?"

Hmm. I dunno, 50/50 in my mind. It's not like we've seen what they do in that situation recently.

Posted by: daggar | November 1, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pennstate1 | November 1, 2009 2:42 PM |

Tow pints.

I'm still on my first pint, but I like the way you count.

Posted by: daggar | November 1, 2009 2:55 PM
===========

I credit Jumbo for teaching me how to count

===================
Tow pints.

1. Mark aint Jack or Mack.
2. Camp ain't McN.

But dream on as much as you like.

Posted by: JumboJimbo | November 1, 2009 2:46 PM

Posted by: pennstate1 | November 1, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pennstate1 | November 1, 2009 2:59 PM

This is a new twist on "the stupid FO" rant. Used to be that if Vinny drafted them they'll never get cut. Now, if Vinny drafted them they do get cut.

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see our friend J. Taylor doing well and making plays back in Miami...

Posted by: rich20ssu | November 1, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"The eagle young receivers are producing because they are given the opportunity to play."

Well, they have defined plays and roles that make it easy for them--or any other rookie--to play and contribute immediately.

Zorn & Company want the young'ns to know the whole playbook when all they need is one or two plays run well and right.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

BYE WEEK's STINK!!!!!

I would rather see the Redskins lose than to not have seen them at all!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | November 1, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Or posting a message during the bye week on the wrong Posting.....

CLEGG

Eagles: 30 Redskins: 16
Saints: 48 Redskins: 13
Raiders: 27 Redskins: 17
Giants: 28 Redskins: 10
Cowboys: 31 Redskins: 14
Chargers:34 Redskins: 13

Zorns first words during the post game press conference after the chargers game: "We are showing improvement"

Posted by: pennstate1 | November 1, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"They put Collins in. He was terrible. Worse than Campbell. Where were his quick reads then?

Posted by: League-Source"

By that "logic" Campbell should have been benched before the Tampa game based on his repeating the same miscues again, and again, and again, and again...so nice try.

Collins got a HALF, in which he played no worse than (and arguably better) than Campbell as he got the team in position to score (whereas Campbell had not), and hit a deep WR in stride (where the WR doesn't have to stop or turn around...cause Campbell supporters might not know what that means) which while allegedly what Campbell is good at...Campbell had not THIS SEASON.

Add to that Campbell got 3/4 of the 1st team reps in practice (which left Collins 1/4), and you can see just how inane your argument is.

The logical response would have been to see if Collins would get better in the following game start with the benefit of the majority of reps in a full week of practice with the 1st team.

So now we just all gather round and blame Campbell's pitiful performance on Sherm Lewis, right?

I just want to make sure I'm reading along on the right page of the Making Excuses for Jason Campbell songbook.

No Campbell isn't why the team is 2-5...but he sure as hell has a bigger share of the responsibility than most of the other factors.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | November 1, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

So, and I know this ain't gonna happen b/c the NFl won't allow it and Snydley would cry to loudly, but hear me out:
Reporter Carpenter tells us this morning that there're 7 teams out there to be had. Now, don't get me wrong, my 'skins loyalty is inherited: my Pop loved Sammy Baugh, but, check it out. What if a consortium of loyal Washington fans were to put together a package to buy one of those 7 teams and bring it to "Old DC"?! There're obviously enough unsatisfied fans to sell out the crowd, that is if we are to believe Snydley and the length of his...ticket waiting list. And haven't we always been told that one of the underpinnings of USA capitalism is competition. Don't we often hear the folks say that they are better at what they do b/c their competition makes them better? So, whaddya say, fellow fans? Shall we put together a buyout package and bring some winning football back to town? 'Cause it sure ain't gonna happen under the current yakov's watch. Who's on board? We'll start it right here.

Posted by: MrChili | November 1, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

"can I dream of a week where we -- win or lose -- can claim to watch an effective offensive performance?

Posted by: daggar | October 31, 2009 8:29 PM"

I'm sorry daggar, but no you may not. Mr Snyder has also abolished dreaming as it sets a dangerously high level of comparative expectation for the lows of current Redskin reality...

Posted by: ThinkingMan | November 1, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

"Collins doesn't need "more practice." He needs the same thing JC needs -- a better O line. And with a better O line, he still won't be as good as JC.

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 7:36 AM"

Nope Collins just needs more reps with the people he'd be playing alongside...to learn their tendencies...you know that thing Campbell CAN'T (or worse yet, WON'T) do. I'd say just HALF the reps during the week would be enough for him to easily surpass JC.

As for not as good.

Funny, last time Collins had the same squad as Jason and just got more reps, Collins took the team to the playoffs.

As a result of a win streak when games were lose or leave and meaningful.

How's Campbell been in those circumstances?

BTW-that last question is rhetorical...everyone with eyes, a brain, and a football 090 level of football education (or better) under their belt knows the answer to that question is NOT GOOD.

You give Collins a half decent line and he's Trent Dilfer circa Baltimore vintage or Tony Banks under Marty here.

Don't know that I could even think that with a straight face regarding Campbell.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | November 1, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

"Campbell QB rating -- 85.8, 18th in league
Collins -- 60.1, right between Delhomme and Sanchez

Posted by: League-Source | November 1, 2009 8:52 AM"

Really? really?

Does this mean I get to show you how much better strike QB off the street Ed Rubbert (1987) was than Jason?

Rubbert played against 75% of the Cowboys starters and had a QB rating of 110.2 he ALSO has a Super Bowl ring, BTW.

How about Brad Johnson (2000)? 90.0. 24TDs 13INTs. Playoff win.

Brunell in '05...85.9 23TDs 10INTs
Brunell in '06...86.5 8TDs 4INTs

Ramsey in '05...95.2

Collins in 07...106.4 5TDs 0INTs..yup ZERO
lots of Portis TDs to cap Collins drives, too.

Let's do some quick "math" in logic problem format.

If Brunell was run out of town because he was not performing well enough, and Campbell isn't as good as Brunell statistically...what does that say the team should the team do with Campbell? Hmmm?

BTW-that cute parsing of stats makes JC "better than" Trent Green, Joe Thiesmann, and Doug Williams...and strangely enough; NOT better than Mark Rypien during his whole Redskins tenure...lol.

Please, discuss, defend...I need comedy.

Posted by: ThinkingMan | November 1, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

"Collins in 07...106.4 5TDs 0INTs..yup ZERO
lots of Portis TDs to cap Collins drives, too."

Collins didn't throw 0INTs..yup ZERO

He threw 2 vs Seattle in the playoffs and that's part of the reason we lost.

Here's how I discuss statistics:

Flush 'em. They're basically worthless. If you need statistics to prove someone can play football or not, they probably cant.

Besides, does Campbell discussion really matter at this point? Do you suggest putting in our rookie, Mark Sanchez? Or our overpaid veteran Jay Cutler?

I'd trade every QB on our roster and half our RBs for 2 starting NFL O Linemen.

Other than that, who cares?

Rypien vs. Williams... gimme a break.

Posted by: Thinker_ | November 2, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse