Second-year players have big role in win

Starting flanker Devin Thomas made a big play on the Redskins' go-ahead drive in the fourth quarter Sunday during a 27-17 victory over the Denver Broncos.

Thomas eluded four tacklers after catching a short pass from quarterback Jason Campbell on third and three from Denver's 32-yard line and gained 27 yards to set up first and goal at the 5. Three plays later, running back Ladell Betts scored on a one-yard run to give the Redskins the lead.

"I was just determined," Thomas said. "That's the way I like to play. I like to play hard and just get everything I can. It was a great opportunity for me to make people miss, there was a lot of open field, so I just used my talent and did what I could do. I never look to go down."

Tight end Fred Davis led the Redskins with four catches for 50 yards and backup flanker Malcolm Kelly had an 18-yard catch. All three second-year players contributed in the same game, which hasn't happened often.

"The coaches realized what this offense needed, was really for the second-rounders from two years ago just to come on and start really trying to get us the ball," Thomas said. "You see Fred taking over for [Chris] Cooley; you see he's playing great. Malcolm came in there and got a nice catch. I had my catch. It brings freshness to the offense and that's what we need."

Despite criticism about their lack of production, Thomas, Davis and Kelly have hung in there, quarterback Jason Campbell said. "Those guys have been through some adversity, there have been some tough times, but you can see their talent," Campbell said. "Now, we just have to keep it going."

By Jason Reid  |  November 16, 2009; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Betts, Cartwright give Redskins a foundation
Next: Big plays again an issue for Redskins' defense

Comments

(repost--I'm lazy today)

"...the offense actually steps up to the 2006 version when Betts was a beast, you win more games and end up with no chance at all of drafting Okie Okung."

What examples of poor line play were evident yesterday that suggest Russell Okung should or will be drafted by the skins' FO?

Okung is coveted by the same people who'll go see "The Blindside" and wonder why Micheal Oher wasn't drafted by the redskins.

Those people are blind to a FO that'll look at yesterday's game tape and find evidence that the line might be okay.

If anything, Levi Jones and Stephon Heyer look like a solution to the 'We need a tackle!' problem.

The broncos' defensive front seven is as fast and aggressive as there is in the league, and Bugel's Boys held up quite well.

Chad Rhinehart played well from what I saw.

Casey Rabach got a great push.

Todd Yoder is a better fullback than Mike Sellars who's a better blocking tight end.

Yes: this is not the best group in the NFL.

But maybe that's because Sherm Lewis showed up and said, "If you've got power run blockers, run with power."

If the line play improves with Jones and Heyer at tackle, Okung won't be a redskin.

But McCoy, Bradford, Pike, Looker or Tebow might be.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 16, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

IF the Skins were to finish at 4-12 or 3-13 they will pick in the top 5.
It is my SINCERE hope they would trade down and pick up two other picks.
I don't care if they even have the first selection in the 2010 Draft, they NEED depth, more than one person drafted early.
They MUST trade down, and if the NFL permits it, I'd love for them to move down twice in the first round picking up 4 additional picks.

Nice Win yesterday.
HTTR

Posted by: RedskinRay1 | November 16, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

sun shining a little brighter, coffee tastes a little better, and my receding hairline seems to have receded a little less than usual....I had actually forgotten what Mondays were like after a win....

Good win, they used the parts they ALREADY had, which is always nice. This post kinda makes you wonder why they haven't been throwing the ball to these guys previously......open my azz, this was a bull crap sandwich prepared by chef zorn, up to this point....were they perfect yesterday, or did they just throw them the ball.....

Get Rogers gone however, from his quotes after the game, he's got to go...can't win with guys like that...Blache/Gray/Zorn, someone needs to grow a pair, and inactivate him for a game/rest of the year....Don't want him on this team, Don't need him on this team...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if this is a subtle dig at Zorn, implying that Lewis was responsible for changing the gam plan.

Posted by: Salinas1 | November 16, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

He probably means Sherm Lewis realized..Zorn wouldn't and hasn't realized crap.

Posted by: ga8085 | November 16, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

But finally, Portis got hurt and they had to play them and we see what average healthy practice everyday running backs can do for your team.

If Portis is healthy next weak and they start him it would be a mistake. Even if Portis plays well it would still be a slap in the face of Betts and Cartwright for they have earned the right to carry the Pigskin next week.

If Portis starts next week it is also a slap in the face of all players who show up for practice every day but are not given a chance to prove they can produce.

LarryInClintonMD. was one that said cut Betts and Cartwright. It was because they were not fast enough and flashy enough to put Portis on the bench. And certainly Zorn wasn't going to bench him.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 16, 2009 8:34 AM

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 16, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse

But yeah go ahead and try and play the "I told you I was right all along" card, EVEN though it can't.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 16, 2009 8:27 AM

Actually, I can...go back and read the stuff I was saying at the beginning of the year when there was this groundswell of "cut Betts/Cartwright" in favor of slappies like Mason and Alridge. I called it crap then and I call it crap now. Betts isn't good as a change of pace guy, he's a guy who's productive if you give him a chance to carry the load. Don't hate because I got confirmation.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 16, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, my repost got disjangled.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 16, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

with westbrook getting concussed again yesterday, I'm pretty sure that we'll not see CP for a couple of weeks...I'm no doctor, but it makes sense to me...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Mk, DT, and FD: I think these guys are going to be okay. The more they get involved, the more it should take pressure off the running game. Jason Campbell did a nice job of mixing up his passes yesterday. It must have felt like he had all day to check down receivers after the beating he has taken over the last few weeks. I think the offense is starting to match up plays to personnel much better now. I don't know if that is Sherm Lewis' doing, but the plays they call seem to work with the personnel they have.

Some other thoughts:
-Do you think anyone is thinking about Devin Thomas' run-after-the-catch ability after his reception yesterday? I'd throw some short square ins and maybe a wide receiver screen or two. That play looked great and I want to see more.
-Clinton Portis, stay on the bench. Betts looked really good yesterday and I think these guys put forth more effort blocking for Betts. Maybe that is just a result of practicing more with Betts, but whatever the case, Betts shouldn't come out when Portis is healthy.
-Marko Mitchell, where did you go? I thought Marko would continue to get involved in the offense but he didn't do anything yesterday. Did they put him in last week just to get DT and MK riled up?
-Levi Jones, fantastic job coming in rusty and playing at the high level you did.
-Brian Orakpo, you are a beast. May your sack total grow exponentially.
-Andre Carter, ditto. I hope you and Orakpo can have many reunions at the quarterback this season.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 16, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Oh and F- Carlos Rogers. He is dead to my eyes.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 16, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

It goes without saying that I'm glad Sherm Lewis repo'ed the "Hope the Redskins Open Up the Offense Express".

Folks hated locally and nationally about Zorn losing his playcalling duties to a guy shouting Bingo! in retirement, but now, it looks like a great decision.

And I'll be the first to congratulate Mr. Cerrato for pulling the trigger and getting Mr. Lewis back into the NFL.

(Yes I said that!)

Without a tow truck or stealth, Sherm Lewis snagged the four-wide receiver, pass happy blogga dream burgandy 'n gold SUV the skins couldn't make the payments on as without athletic tackles, the blocking wasn't there to support it.

And if anything, we all now see that the return to 'smashmouth' football supported by play action passing and monstah defense is what the skins do best.

Sometimes you have to admit that you are just what you are.

Rock bottom is a strong running game and a defense that shuts down passing teams.

And now that that moment of clarity has hit, we should all shout, "Bingo!" and make the best of it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 16, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I said this yesterday, not getting DT the ball more often in the past 24 games, is an indictment of the HC...big, strong, fast, and somehow JZ felt like that couldn't help this offense....wow...just wow..

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Carlos Rogers was terrible yesterday(ya think?)i have no idea who had coverage on Marshall's two td's yesterday but damn he couldn't have been more open, then i heard Rogers was benched for Tryon,it will be interesting to see what Jerry Gray has to say about it.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 16, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

To quote Winston Wolf:

"Let's not start sucking each other's d*cks just yet, gentlemen."

Yes, it was a good win but let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is still a crappy team.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 16, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

The team operated on a direct, north-south, punch-you-in-the-mouth, grinding running game, backed up by an opportunistic downfield passing game - exactly the way Joe Gibbs was shaping the team to be. Perhaps Bingo-Bango Lewis figured that part out, and was wise to bring it into his game plan.

So whomever it was that got their head into the West Coast offense quagmire - SJK you.

Posted by: Anonynonandon | November 16, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 16, 2009 8:54 AM

You can't be serious...all they did yesterday is what they should have never gotten away from in the first place. Playing smashmouth football. That's what personnel they have. That's what identity they have (or at least supposed to have). It's so easy, a caveman can do it.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 16, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I think Rogers said what he did, so that he would be done with the freak show at Redskin Park. Good Riddance, punk.

I was one of those that wanted to get rid of Betts/ Cartwright - even after last week, I was convinced Betts sucked. I am not convinced he will be here next year, b/c at the end of the season, do you think they will rather have Portis or Betts eating up salary space, I think they will take Portis.

Good to see them win and I am happy that Levi played well, he looked pretty good, as did the rest of the line for most of the game.

Hail Skins!

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 16, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah - and Hunter the Punter for team MVP!

Posted by: Anonynonandon | November 16, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

The tackles:

Levi Jones looked good but then again that was never his problem. He is injury prone. We still need a tackle in the draft. Heyer also looked good but then again Denver doesn't have a good rusher on his side.

Interior Line:

Rhino was decent but got pushed back a little in pass pro. I say give him the rest of the season and see where we are. Rabach wasn't good in pass pro but looked pretty good in run blocking.

The wild cougar offense:

The 30 RBs looked great. There's just something about Betts and Cartright that seem to make them a perfect fit for this blocking scheme. They just pick a lane and go.

Soup:

Campbell has a good first drive then channeled his innner Patrick Ramsey for a while. I don't know why he thought he had to throw the ball 100 miles an hour at a guy that's 10 feet away. For the second and third quarter he looked like McNabb on a bad day. The first and fourth quarters he was decent though.

The secondary:

WTF?

Afterthoughts:

I still think we need 2 tackles and a center in the draft this year. Overall I was impressed with the balance on offense and that's what I'd like to see more of. I don't want a great passing offense or a great rushing offense. I'll take one that does both well. That way if 1 aspect gets shut down you still have the other. Excluding the gadget play we had 188 yards passing and 174 yards rushing.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 16, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

brown, they should have been throwing the ball to DT/MK/FD, and using LB much more...thats indisputable...sherm, more so than jz, sees the forest for the tree's.....meanwhile jz is gonna complain again this week to whoever will listen that he's a good playcaller...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

You wonder why we would go away from it?

Theisman talking about Portis and of course now all the players are coming out and saying that Portis was the main distraction on this team holding them back.

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 16, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

How 'bout some props for Quinton and his blocking?? That was a nice surprise!

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 16, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood26,

Hopefully this game yesterday is a step in the right direction of playing players based on performance whether they are rookies, 2nd year players, or even veterans like Betts and Cartwright, whom long deserved a chance to supplant Portis.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 16, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2009 8:57 AM

You say lots of stuff. You also forget the offensive pass interference penalties (wasn't #11 averaging 1 a game last year?), the lousy route running and all the balls that bounced off his hands. Dude made one good play, (hopefully he makes more.) and you want his number retired. You sure aren't a doctor.

Posted by: mack1 | November 16, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2009 9:03 AM

LOL at the Zorn comment.

Pretty pitiful that it took pulling a 67 year-old coach out of retirement to get this team to use its 2nd rounders from last year and to play to the strengths of the players on the roster. Seems like Coaching 101 to me. That's gotta be the top reason out of the hundreds to fire Zorn.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 16, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else listening to Theisman?

He and Wiseman said Zorn is still complaining about not getting to call plays...apparently there were some plays that he did call yesterday, they all went for 0 yards, mainly that stupid stretch running play.

They think Portis is starting and playing next week, no matter what. WOW

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 16, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

"You can't be serious...all they did yesterday is what they should have never gotten away from in the first place."

Yes: I'm very serious.

The got away from what it does best according to it's personnel base.

And now, here's the Question of the Week: If Clinton Portis is cleared to play, should he start over Ladell Betts?

Let's see what happens.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 16, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

mack, haha, no he wasn't averaging 1 pi per game last year, thats just inaccurate, so try it again....

never said anything about retiring his number either, but keep after it....

All I said was that they need to throw the ball to him more....yeah, shame on me...we should just ignore him....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

BeanTownGreg1,

You know I have been ragging you on one particular issue, but I missed Rogers comments yesterday and I know you are a straight shooter in your posts.

What you said about Rogers, once I see those comments, I am betting that I will come to the same conclusion as you.

LarryInClintonMD

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 16, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

If CPo is the sacrifice, so be it. His price tag is huge and the team is now successfully over him.

Given my acknowledged stance, I don't think it was necessary to do this. But it's the only thing that's worked, so, good deal.

Think they'll dump him and take the hit in the 'uncapped' season?

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 16, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

mh, they can't be serious, I mean, to me that reeks of Portis wanting to be the man...he saw what betts did yesterday, and he's such a narcissist that he can't stand to be out of the spotlight....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 16, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | November 16, 2009 8:27 AM

Posted by: brownwood26

Actually, no you can't. And bwood, they don't pay me to hate, my dude.

You're constant pimping was for Cartwright on special teams and his irreplaceable leadership. Not exactly for him to get more carries.

Like I said, just to so call prove that you're right, you're willing to crop the picture.

You up here chest thumping because Betts and Cartwright got carries and did a damn good job yesterday. But what you fail to mention is how and why he got those carries.

You best believe that if Portis wasn't concussed that Betts nor your BFF Rock Cartwright wouldn't have seen NEARLY the amount of carries they did. The coaching staff for whatever reason isn't willing to divide carries between the three of them when Portis is able to play, and you damn well know this!

Like I asked (which you didn't answer), how many yards did Cartwright and Betts have before yesterday? How many carries? How many carries did Marcus Mason see when he was with the team?

Yeah, I thought so.

NONE OF THEM ever got a real shot of showing what they can do because when it's a run play thats called '26' get his number called more than 95% of the time.

The fact that Betts and Cartwright saw carries and produced yesterday HAS NOTHING to do with Marcus Mason, and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that Portis was out yesterday.

How you hate on dude, it's like Marcus Mason used to bully you and make you take the long way home from school everyday.

Posted by: RedDMV | November 16, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD,

"Betts and Cartwright are examples of staying with the same veteran personnel that hasn't proven to work for us."

Not really. They're actually reminders that Portis is and always has been a waste of money, a shutdown corner, and a 2nd round pick. If you can plug in Betts and get comparable (or better) production, Portis was a mistake. Point blank.

"It is just that Portis has been so bad and they would not replace him that the average play of Betts and Cartwright is a shot in the arm to the running game."

If 114 yards and a touchdown is average, then Portis has been piss poor all season long.

"This team still needs running backs with speed and power and it was not wrong to call for the cuts of long standing vets who have not been prolific enough to put Portis on the bench."

This team does need backs with speed and power. But no such backs were on the roster, especially not Mason and Alridge. You got some power with Mason and some speed with Alridge, but neither player has both. So why waste a roster spot?

"Some of us new and said Portis had not earned the right to start, but we knew Zorn would not sit him."

That's over Zorn's head. If you think Danny would stand for his butt-buddy CP rotting on the bench and going Riggo on the coaches in the media, think again.

"If the Redskins had opened his position up to competition in practice and performance, it would not have taken his injury to realize that football is based on performance and not past accolades.

Fair competition breeds competitiveness on the field and makes everyone better, something the Redskins have been missing by penciling in veterans for so long whom have been underperforming."

Agreed. But that should apply to Portis, not Betts. When healthy, Betts has answered the call every time he's gotten enough carries to make a difference. He's a workhorse, not a change of pace back. Playing him that way is a gross misuse of talent, something the Redskins have been plagued by for years.

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 16, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I liked that the 2nd year folks contributed. How 'bout some Marko??

I'm more than a little surprised that we're not getting more credit from the media on this one. Yes, Denver was on a slide, but we smacked 'em around GOOD. And that's something we haven't done yet all season.

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 16, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Next week I say Portis is Betts backup, keep with the run game, Betts up the gut first downs and whatnot, Portis in on pass plays/ 3rd Down back(he is a better blocker still right?). I think you still give CP the ball 5-8 times a game, but no more than that.

Posted by: alex35332 | November 16, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

They think Portis is starting and playing next week, no matter what. WOW

Posted by: mhartz1 | November 16, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

If Portis is healthy AND practicing, then he should get the start. During the game, you go with the hot back. The skins ran the ball 40 times yesterday, that should be their strategy going forward.

Mista if the skins don't go OL in the 1st, they must pick up one in the 2nd and maybe with their next pick in the draft as well(depending on FA pick ups). The OL is too glaring a need to be ignored. However, as of today, I'm not committed to them having to get an OL player in round 1.

Posted by: TWISI | November 16, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

How 'bout some props for Quinton and his blocking?? That was a nice surprise!

Posted by: DikShuttle | November 16, 2009 9:09 AM | Report abuse

He absolutely stoned that guy. That was awesome. He had a nice reception too. I felt kind of bad for him though. It seemed like the defense blitzed his gap on almost all of his carries. I don't think he really ever had a lane to run through. I wonder if he was staring at the gap before the ball was snapped or something.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | November 16, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Hell, I strongly believe that IF Marcus Mason was on the team, he would produced the same amount of yards as Rock Cartwright, IF not more.

It's obvious that those two dudes are smash-mouth runners, they pick a lane and go... But before we go all Betts and Cartwright jock sniffing and nut hugging, lets see how they do when they aren't facing a reeling team like the Broncos, how they'll perform (along with the offensive line) against a team coming off a frustrating loss, a division foe.... against the Dallas Cowboys.

F muthaf'ing Dallas!!!

Posted by: RedDMV | November 16, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: TWISI | November 16, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Brown, i said the same thing before the season started about Betts not being a change of pace guy, but a guy who can succeed as a starter. The proble was that we had a very capable starter and not very many carries left for ladell. No one can take the great performance away from ladell, he ran angry yesterday. he did some things we haven't seen him be able to do in a few seasons (like punch it in from the 1). I would like to point out that they flipped tha tackles and Levi Jones got his first start. LJ played his a$$ off and often got to the second level on the backers and dbs. How many sacks did we give up yesterday? The o line clearly played better yesterday overall. I don't know if Portis is the problem, but a RB by commitee might be tha answer.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | November 16, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

It's hard to understand why the rules for a RB are different from a QB. If Campbell got concussed and Collins came in and had a stellar game and won, who do you think would be starting next week? The better guy, or the guy with the hot hand, that's who you should always start. There is a mile long history of backups getting their shot and coming up huge, and it would be stupid to cut that opportunity short for Betts right now.

I said at the beginning of the season, and still think now that Portis should be the 3rd down back, and Betts should be the first and second down back. It just makes sense.

Betts is hungry, Betts does not look for a place to fall, Betts practices hard.

Portis is still stellar at pass protection, Portis is still imo better in space. He's perfect for third downs, blocking for Campbell or catching a screen in space is what he should be used for at this point.

Posted by: REXskins | November 16, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV | November 16, 2009 9:25 AM

I don't believe I said otherwise.

And yes, I went to bat for Rock more than anyone because his name came up more. But when the conversation turned to Betts, I was just as vehement that he need not go just yet. And I'll say what I said then...if there's a young guy on the roster that can BEAT THOSE GUYS OUT, then I'm all for replacing them. Since Mason and Alridge couldn't, I don't want 'em.

Tell me this: do you think Mason goes for 114 yards and a TD yesterday if he got the start?

Posted by: brownwood26 | November 16, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Brownwood26,

So what is it, either the Sherm Lewis hire was either a good hire or it isn't.

You seem to be waffling on both sides. One time you say that his hire dosen't mean anything because it is so simple a cave man can do it.

Then you turn around and say that now we use of all our offensive players that Zorn would not do is why Zorn should be fired.

From where I sit, Portis's injurty and the direction of the playcalling with personnel since Lewis arrived is a major factor in the win.

Smashmouth Football fits this Team, Yeah, but Sherm Lewis is calling the plays.

So you can't say the Bingo Caller is not a factor. But, yeah, you can say Zorn should have been fired.

However, if Zorn allows this success to continue, he might keep his job.

Ya' Heard' Me'!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 16, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes you just have to play the younger guys - give your 'stars' a rest - and let the fresh legs should you what they can (or can't) do. It'll be much harder in Dallas than at home against a team on a downswing and traveling across country, but our older players may just not be able to sustain for a full 60 minutes any longer.

Posted by: agupta1 | November 16, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I really don't know how anyone could have neglected to not comment/giggle like a child on Andre Carter's comment from a few posts back, talking about Orakpo: "I think he had 1 1/2 and I had 1 1/2," Carter said. "I always tell him, 'Man you need to stop jumping on my sack,' and he always says the same thing."

Teehee.

Posted by: TDawg1 | November 16, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

pardon the accidental double-negative, such as.

Posted by: TDawg1 | November 16, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse