Shanahan may retain Smith, Mitchell

As new Coach Mike Shanahan assembles his staff, he could consider two proven in-house candidates to coach running backs: Sherman Smith and Stump Mitchell.

Smith, who served as offensive coordinator during Jim Zorn's two seasons, formerly was the Tennessee Titans' longtime running backs coach. Former Titans all-pro running back Eddie George often spoke favorably of Smith, who was an NFL running back and Titans Coach Jeff Fisher tried to persuade Smith to remain in Tennessee.

Mitchell, also a former running back, coached the position the last two seasons for Zorn. He previously coached running backs for the Seattle Seahawks and contributed to the success of standout back Shaun Alexander. Although Mitchell has been offered the head coaching job at Southern University, he is eager to see what direction Shanahan takes with the staff, according to two league sources.

Goodell: Redskins in compliance on Shanahan hire

With reports that Pete Carroll has an agreement to coach the Seattle Seahawks, NFL Roger Goodell was asked before the Jets-Bengals playoff game about compliance with the Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview a minority candidate for head-coaching and senior front-office vacancies. Goodell indicated that the Seahawks are in compliance and, for good measure, addressed the Redskins' hire of Shanahan as well.

"They have in both cases," Goodell said, in a report filed by Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer. "I can assure you they have complied with the rule with the information that I have. I mean I've been in contact with them so they've been in compliance. I can't give all the details but they're in compliance."

By Jason Reid  |  January 9, 2010; 6:39 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins denied permission to interview Broncos' Turner
Next: Shanahan likely to emphasize running game -- again

Comments

He isn't keeping either one of them, what kind of post is this he may retain everybody but he's not going to.

He may do a lot of things give us a post when you know what he is going to do.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 9, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to take this moment to say Florio is a piece of dirty buttwipe.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 6:58 PM |

Scamp,

I agree but what did he do to make you say this?

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 9, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Nice play!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 9, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

He gives the Seagulls a free pass on their skirtment of the Rooney Rule but starts a vendetta against us. A$$hat, and I told him as much.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

this jets-bengals game reminds me how a REAL running game looks...kinda forgot all about that watching the skins this season

Posted by: AhsanFamily | January 9, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

If this keeps up, we can comply with the Rooney and have a press release announcing Zimmer as DCoord Tuesday.

Stump?? He's gonna go be HC down south, LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 9, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

That was some weak caca on the oob call.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 9, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Stump?? He's gonna go be HC down south, LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 9, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

haha i was thinking the same thing...much rather have zimmer than haslett

and we definitely don't need two running back coaches

Posted by: AhsanFamily | January 9, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Carson Palmer is god-awful.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 9, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

wow suisham kicks for the bungals

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 9, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Game, set, match

Posted by: TWISI | January 9, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

OMG, the Bengals' kicker is just like Swiss-ham: make the ones that don't matter, miss the ones that matter.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 9, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Shayne Graham totally Suisham'd the Bengals out of a shot at winning-- that's 2 chip shots missed in one game. Ouch.

That said... welcome aboard, Mike Zimmer!!!

Posted by: TDawg1 | January 9, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

jets d going all greg blache, lol

how the heck do you call that a hold against the home team down ten on a running play in a playoff game?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 9, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I think there are a lot of kickers that cant handle the pressure kicking, some are on teams where it does not matter is all. Its weird seeing run blocking and guys with speed out of the backfield like someone said.

Flounder, you asked what kind of post is this? Its a post to justify more Rooney Rule posting.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

""Policy" was a very nice girl..She swam the ocean and conquered the World..But ultimately, needed something freeeee..""- Ministry, "Palestina", Rio Grande Dub...Reality, it has always been a struggle between corrupt syndicates of power, and the free thinking individuals and artists, to raise the Human Soul above the mere Animal impulse of Bloody Tooth and Claw...It's the Yin rising from the Yang..Book it in tomorrow, chi..

Posted by: frak | January 9, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 7:10 PM |

I said the same thing earkier in a post and I registered on his site and told him as much as well.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 9, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

He may do a lot of things give us a post when you know what he is going to do.

Posted by: Flounder21

Tell you what. When it's your column, you decide how to fill it.

Posted by: TheCork | January 9, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Well i'm one for one lets see if the eagles can pull me to an even 2-0.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 9, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

The Dork D'pimping to get a link posted to his blah blah blah in the big window.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 9, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

This was an impressive performance by the Jets. This is exactly how you should win a football game: run the ball down the defense's throat and overwhelm them when on defense.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 9, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Tell you what. When it's your column, you decide how to fill it.

Posted by: TheCork | January 9, 2010 7:34 PM |

Cork,

I knew we wouldn't stay friends very long.

I just think are insider should know a little more then what he does.

Shanny may be taking a deuce right now, maybe that should be the next post.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 9, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Carson Palmer is god-awful.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 9, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

He's also a $14.3 million dollar cap hit.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 9, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Stillers will be able to restore normalcy in the AFC north next year.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 9, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

How about that fire and enthusiasm Sanchez shows? Yeah, sure, he's winning and you'd hope he would, but when I've seen him through the season, he's shown some serious zazz... infectious.... something we haven't seen around these parts in quite awhile.

Posted by: fan-o-matic | January 9, 2010 7:45 PM | Report abuse

The Iggles better win tonight. I don't want Jerry Jones' despicable ego to inflate any more.

Jeez...picking between the Iggles and Cowgirls...what a nightmare...hopefully the Vikings or Saints end the run for either NFC East team.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 9, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

flounder, your first post was right on the money man...WTF is RI smoking? with a tag line like that? WTF!!! i can't believe i just read this dribble posing as a new posting on one of the nations best newspaper's web site. seriously! post needs a new lead beat reporter!

Posted by: dealer1 | January 9, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

please promote rick maese!

Posted by: dealer1 | January 9, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 9, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I will go 100% eagles, I did live in philly for a lil while so that may effect me.

Dallas v Philly:

Fans, both are annoying Philly fans are annoying for their drunken loser stupid nature, the Dallas fans are annoying because none of them ever have lived in Dallas and most never been in Texas. So this is a wash.

Players: Westbrook is a local, McNabb is at least a respectable human being, all the Dallas players are OVERRATED. Win Philly

Uniforms, Green always better looking than a team which cant even decide what color silver they want to use and I hate to say it but I always thought the eagles helmet was one of the most unique in the NFL. Neither are real football colors. Win Philly

Food, cant give dallas credit for any food, Texas sure, but not Dallas. Philly has the Hoggie and Cheese Steak to of the greatest things to ever hit the tongue. Win Philly

TV- Okay would you rather sit down and see "Dallas" and try and figure who killed JR? Or the darkest comedy on TV "Its always sunny in philadelphia" Win Philly

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

i may have sex with my wife tonite.

Posted by: dealer1 | January 9, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

i may have sex with my wife tonite. not because she's my wife and we like eachother but because she's a woman and i'm a man.

Posted by: dealer1 | January 9, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

No run game, No Bueno in the playoffs. Say good night philly pigeons.

Posted by: bhoang888 | January 9, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

i can't believe as a skins fan you would even wonder who to root for Dallas vs. X! elementary mr. watson, always always root for X unless of course it affects the skins somehow...

Posted by: dealer1 | January 9, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

i maybe gay cuz i have a butt hole.

Posted by: dealer1 | January 9, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

how did gibbs do? i thought he was cold.

i had no idea jimmy johnson's not with the eagles anymore.

i had no idea rex ryan is buddy ryan's son. i can't believe jets killed the bengals like that. go jets against the colts!

Posted by: dealer1 | January 9, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Why wouldn't you interview Zorn to comply with the Looney Rule?

Posted by: daggar | January 9, 2010 1:15 PM |

Can't. He's not Asian. You have to interview an Asian to comply with the Looney Lule.

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Have you been drinking dealer?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

My 2 cents...

1. Carroll is leaving paradise, not by choice, but self preservation. Major NCAA sanctions are heading USC's way.

2. F Dall-as

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 9, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

George W Bush is at the E-C game and sitting next to Emmit Smith, that has to be the smartest conversation ever....
...

...

...

Not.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

F dallas indeed.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

...

Not sure which one I'd rather talk to.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Thought you had to interview someone from the CFL.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Iggles d breaks that dumbo looking retards neck.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

By Jason Reid | January 9, 2010; 6:39 PM ET

Gee, I would kinda think this isn't in the cards considering that he requested permission to interview Bobby Turner. I mean, if he wanted these guys, why would he be seeking to interview Bobby Turner?

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Not sure which one I'd rather talk to.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I would pick Bush, I wonder if I can make him cry after going off on him for single handedly ruining the nation in 5 years.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

My 2 cents...

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 9, 2010 8:19 PM |

My 700,000,000 cents...

He's leaving to earn himself $7 million per year. If that's self preservation, I wish someone would preserve me.

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Cowboys elect not to attempt a 51 yd fg with Suisham. Since when did a 51 yd fg on field turf in a mostly indoor stadium become an impossibility?

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 9, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 9, 2010 8:30 PM |

Since they picked Suisham to be there kicker, just like we could never kick a FG over 45 yards.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 9, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

If not next year, then the year after, the penalty for a hit like that one on Celek will be ejection. They're going to put a stop to those hits that add nothing to the game and risk serious injury.

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2010 8:28 PM

Oh I think plenty of people before and after him helped a bunch.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

So, how great could this nation have been if 1 village idiot ruined it in 5 years all by himself?

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 9, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

F Dallas, now more than ever.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 9, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Big Mac Snack Wrap? LOL. Mickey D's is crazy.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 9, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Big Mac Snack Wrap? LOL. Mickey D's is crazy.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 9, 2010 8:45 PM |

and that commercial is gay

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Big Mac Snack Wrap? LOL. Mickey D's is crazy.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 9, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

I think they just ran out of rolls and started using tortillas instead. Taco bell does this all the time. It's still the same crap they just mix up the combinations.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 9, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

and that commercial is gay

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 8:47 PM

Really? Do tell. Did it hit on you in the shower at the gym.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 9, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

and that commercial is gay

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 8:47 PM

Really? Do tell. Did it hit on you in the shower at the gym.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 9, 2010 8:50 PM |

no but it snickered and I got all self conscious

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 9, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

We would still be on are long slow spiral down. But we would have at least probably got all the corpses in New Orleans buried by now.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

My 2 cents...

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 9, 2010 8:19 PM |

My 700,000,000 cents...

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 8:29 PM

Carroll made $4.4 million in the 2006-2007 school year. He's not checking the couch for change.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 9, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

romo getting rattled...as oprah would say it....LOOOOOOOOOOOVE ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

Posted by: dealer1 | January 9, 2010 8:58 PM | Report abuse

What's up dealio? You off your meds? You're sounding crazier than usual.

Posted by: learnedhand1 | January 9, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 9, 2010 8:30 PM |

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 9, 2010 8:32 PM

That's my point...Jerry cuts folk for missing a 23 yd FG and signs a guy who was cut for missing a 23 yd fg. Folk at least had a good season last year and has range outside of 45 yards.

F Dallas, Suisham, Folk.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 9, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Alex, we are on a long slow spiral. Don't think because our gov't spent a bunch of money it didn't have that this moneyless, jobless "recovery" means we've turned things around.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Flounder, can't cut and paste on cell, but to wit your sanchez/JC comment, I heard on FM that the Jets have 4 1st rounders on their Oline, and all 5 have started 32 consecutive games...just sayin

Posted by: RomoShortball | January 9, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2010 8:28 PM

Oh I think plenty of people before and after him helped a bunch.

Posted by: scampbell1975

Jeeziz, scampbell, you're not saying the US Gov't in DC is INSTITUTIONALLY corrupt, are you?? I mean, Kissinger hand-picked Obama to be the smiley-faced, Warmachine-lite version
of the NWO years ago, You're not insinuating that the WHOLE F*CKING THING IS ROTTEN TO THE CORE, ARE YOU??? That would be tantamount to treason against Da Corporate Mob that owns and runs the US Gov't...the idiot Elites will nuke DC when the time is right..I know you weren't talkin' about me, Skinsfaninkeohe/Queens Chapel Road.../

Posted by: frak | January 9, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

F Dallas, now more than ever.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 9, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I would like to nominate this as the next blog entry. Should eliminate fully the small upwelling of consternation above over the relevance of the topic of this one.

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | January 9, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 9, 2010 8:56 PM

Lemme try to splain it to you slowly:

$7 m - $4.4 m = $2.6 m X 5 years = $13 million

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Ah frak, thank you for that, whatever it is.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

When did I say I thought we turned things around. We have been on a downward spiral since the late 70's.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

F Dallas, now more than ever.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 9, 2010 8:44 PM

Well, yeah, but you're not gonna do it with Philadelphia's dick.

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, yeah, but you're not gonna do it with Philadelphia's dick.

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

If your junk ever turns eagles green you should really seek medical help

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2010 9:13 PM

Touche, oh, and F Dallas!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

Touche, oh, and F Dallas!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

INDUBITABLY!!!!

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Way down in France..They got some VD that makes your d*ck turn green!! -Frank Zappa

Posted by: frak | January 9, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, the Iggles are looking like a bowl of poop.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 9, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

What an idiot Andy Ried is give me a break with this Vick crap.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 9, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

i may've spoken too soon...

Posted by: dealer1 | January 9, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

I can still type..I ain't drunk enough yet...Kill Dallas, wid a Czechoslavakian snipers rifle from 200 yds...

Posted by: frak | January 9, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

What an idiot Andy Ried is give me a break with this Vick crap.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 9, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

What? He's got the best play of the game so far...and also the worst.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | January 9, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 9, 2010 8:56 PM

Lemme try to splain it to you slowly:

$7 m - $4.4 m = $2.6 m X 5 years = $13 million

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 9:11 PM

Yeah genius...7 mil > 5 mil.

Just like Coach K, Roy Williams, etc. could leave for the pros and make more. Why? When you are the university and have a competitive advantage in college.

Just ask Spurrier, Calapari, or Pitino. It's not like Carroll was such a success his first stint.

He coaches in an ideal situation and 2 years from now when he's fired, he'll have made a few more dollars but he will have once again been exposed as a mediocre coach.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 9, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Where is a meteor when you need one?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

lh, yes, yes, i'm off my pain meds. i thought that waS AN INT...

Posted by: dealer1 | January 9, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

The fat lady is getting ready in the green room.

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 9, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

The eagles are playing lights out.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 9, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I know you weren't talkin' about me, Skinsfaninkeohe/Queens Chapel Road.../

WTF are you talking about frak?

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 9, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

McNabb in DC?

Anyone?

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | January 9, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

The Vick TD was all YAC. This is why you do not sign a criminal. It will come back to haunt you.

Posted by: Mike4169 | January 9, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

McNabb in DC?

Anyone?

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | January 9, 2010 9:41 PM |

For penance you must now flog your testes with a rubber house 5 times.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

er, hose

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

McNabb in DC?

Anyone?

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | January 9, 2010 9:41 PM |

For penance you must now flog your testes with a rubber house 5 times.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Concur, endorse, sign, etc etc etc

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 9, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

i will give philly a 7th round pick for McNabb.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 9, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Please miss Swiss-ham

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 9, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I thought as much. Just checking.

He WILL be gone next year, however, I don't care what the muppet Collinsworth says. It is Kolb time in Philly...which means Brent Celek has a shot at turning into Tony Gonzoles or at least Antonio Gates.

Posted by: SoCal_SkinsFan | January 9, 2010 9:47 PM | Report abuse

"He's (Zorn) not Asian. You have to interview an Asian to comply with the Looney Lule."

This is racist.

Which is why it's so funny.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 9, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Okay, my bad, I wished I was drownin' in those monsta waves in the middle of the Pacific..I'm tryin' to get drunk as a Russkie at the Siege of Stalingrad it's so f*ckin' cold..

Posted by: frak | January 9, 2010 9:49 PM | Report abuse

For penance you must now flog your testes with a rubber house 5 times.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 9:42 PM

People who live in rubber houses should not throw anything heavy that could bounce back off the walls.

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

This is racist.

Which is why it's so funny.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 9, 2010 9:49 PM |

LOL!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Dudes, where's the keg at? I want some of what ya'll are drinking.

RI is juiced up tonight. . . .

Posted by: farstriker | January 9, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

This will be the first time Andy Reid has lost an opening round playoff game. I think we're beginning to see the downfall of the Eagles this decade.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 9, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

hmmmm, potato juice

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 9, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Imagine if Snyder had agreed to give up JC last March for the 3rd round pick he was offered and accordingly acquired Sanchez (via the total package he was trying to assemble)..
Skins probably would of gone 9-7 W-L versus 4-12.

Looks like Sanchez handled a new system pretty well...just like Flacco, and Matt Ryan's first years...

At 9-7 or even 8-8 Zorn would still be here and Vinny, too.

For only that reason I am glad JC remained with the Skins and never brought the Skins from behind (ever, this year of his career) 4-12 resulted in a much needed Coach and GM purge and the acquisition of a proven Head Coach who is light years ahead of Zorn (and Vinny) in every facet of developing a competitive team.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 9, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 9:51 PM |

So your saying people in rubber houses should not throw stones?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

flounder21

"The fat lady is getting ready in the green room."

I know and it makes me sick.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 9, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

When I read the title of this post, I thought it was going to be Danny Smith retained...... whhheew. Thank goodness!!!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | January 9, 2010 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 9, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

a
Anybody still want the loosing teams DC?

Posted by: Keyskonnection | January 9, 2010 9:59 PM | Report abuse

"Imagine if Snyder had agreed to give up JC last March Sanchez...Skins probably would of gone 9-7 W-L versus 4-12...."

90% of M Sanchez's rookie success is the direct result of playing behind the league's best offensive line.

He throws to receivers who are average, but--except Edwards--make plays on the regular.

The only thing I imagine about Sanchez in DC in 2009 is interceptions, 44 sacks, and fumbles returned for toochdowns.

And 4-12.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 9, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 9, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

a
Anybody still want the loosing teams DC?

Posted by: Keyskonnection | January 9, 2010 9:59 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Post jail Mike Vick = Over-rated.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 9, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

what I'll say about politics

DEM = someone who takes your money to give his friend a job on government

REP = someone who takes your money to give to his friend's business

Clinton created the financial crisis, Bush 2.0 executed it well

Obama = Jimmy Carter 2.0

Of course Swissham won't miss any FG's today. Iggles going down, like the Titantic

Would love to get NYG DL coach, April ST coach from Buffalo, keep Kirk and Jerry, Zimmer or Mora for DC

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 9, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Sanchez wins one playoff game and you act as if he's Tom Brady. The Jets are a MUCH BETTER TEAM THAN THE REDSKINS THIS YEAR. They actually have an offensive line and THEY CAN RUN THE BALL. They Redskins would've been just as bad this year because the Redskins sucked this year...in every aspect of the game. Sanchez threw 20 INTS this season. Do you think that would have led these Redskins to a winning record? The reason why they made it in was that their defense and run game is ridiculous and the Colts gave up.

----------------------------------------

Skins probably would of gone 9-7 W-L versus 4-12.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 9, 2010 9:52 PM

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 9, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

"Andy Reid is such an idiot for being so one-dimensional on offense. How can you be successful in the post-season without running the ball? Haven't you wondered why you can't get past the Conference Championship? Haven't you wondered why you made the Super Bowl only once? Look at how the Jets won today."

I think Fletcher f*cke d that team up so bad, he knocked 'em outta the playoffs...Desean still has a brain-wobble that he can't shake...

Posted by: frak | January 9, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

The only way the Redskins would have gone 9-7 or 8-8 with Sanchez is if they also picked up the Jets OL. My guess is with Sanchez they would have gone 4-12 give or take a game or two.

Posted by: lifelongfan | January 9, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

My 700,000,000 cents...

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 8:29 PM

To make cents equal dollar you have to move the decimal point two digits to the left. You failed this test if you are trying to match the $7M figure of the contract. Another proof of...oh forget it, if I have to explain you will not understand.

Posted by: Keyskonnection | January 9, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

This is racist.

Which is why it's so funny.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 9, 2010 9:49 PM |

LOL!

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 9:51 PM

Not "racist." Lacist. ROR!

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fan-o-matic | January 9, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

"He just kind of said, 'Keep it simple, stupid,' " said Schlereth, now an analyst with ESPN. "We were simple and we were consistent. I think one of the things that Mike was able to do was take essentially six or seven running plays and make it look like 36 or 37 running plays. He used different formations, different adjustments, motion.

==========================
Sounds good to me. less complicated, fewer mistakes and penalties

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 9, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fan-o-matic | January 9, 2010 10:08 PM |

Hmmm, I guess Sanchez. More upside. Campbell ain't gonna get much better. He might DO better with an oline but he'll still hold the ball too long, have a long motion, stare down receivers, and lack belly fire.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fan-o-matic | January 9, 2010 10:08 PM |

provided that all the other changes would be guaranteed, i would agree. but i think that there would be a lot of "it wasnt VC or JZ, it was because of a rookie QB and that is a scary thought.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 9, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

"...... whhheew. Thank goodness!!!"

The blogga posting this line is:

a. a relieved cavemen who just switch his insurance to geico.

b. a Tiger Woods' groupee who just double checked to make sure she saved the text messages he sent.

c. happy that the hot, tall, athletic chick he was just checking out really wasn't a tranny with a nice booty.

d. an embarassed retiree realizing he had sat in the plate of mash potatoes he had spent his entire dinner looking for.

e. a fired Jim Zorn.

f. the wives of Sherman Smith and Stump Mitchell who've both read this headline:

"Shanahan may retain Smith, Mitchell"

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 9, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

What did the Jets give up to get Sanchez? At a minimum the Redskins would not have be able to get Orakpo.

Posted by: lifelongfan | January 9, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I can't say that McNabb tonight is playing much better than JC. And JC probably has more upside.

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lifelongfan | January 9, 2010 10:19 PM

Jets gave up its first and second plus three players that Mangini had liked:

Cleveland traded its first-round selection (5th overall, used to select Mark Sanchez) to the Jets for the Jets' first- and second-round selections (17th overall, traded to Tampa Bay, who selected Josh Freeman; and 52nd overall, used to select David Veikune), Kenyon Coleman, Brett Ratliff, and Abram Elam.

Posted by: League-Source | January 9, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Was that Bush in the box with Jones?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | January 9, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

stick a fork in the bird, it's done

ding ding goes the oven timer

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 9, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

AZ Republic reporting that Bugel has retired with a quote from Grimm.

Is it official?

Posted by: WorstSeat | January 9, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

"So assuming the team's record would be the same with Sanchez as it was with Campbell, who would you rather have?"

Sanchez.

The kid is deadly accurate.

He puts the ball in the best spot for a receiver to catch it.

Campbell does have some strenghts.

But he is not as accurate as Sanchez.

That is not even debatable.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 9, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Cut out the lights, the party is ovah.

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | January 9, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Good night sweetheart well it's time to go DADADADADADADOM!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Flounder21 | January 9, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

AZ Republic reporting that Bugel has retired with a quote from Grimm.

Is it official?
======================
good to see WaPo on top of the news again!
not!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 9, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Campbell does have some strenghts.

But he is not as accurate as Sanchez.

That is not even debatable.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 9, 2010 10:31 PM

But...the stats??????

I'm clealy joking.

Posted by: Diesel44 | January 9, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

"Everyone owns the Redskins."

-Al Michaels

Ahh it feels great to be in D.C.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 9, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

But he knew, he knew...Any human consciousness will never forgive him for that, eve...His family is central power, as centralized power will always be tyrrannous , as James Madison told Jefferson....Daniel Moynihan , the Chair of the Senate Intelligence Commitee , said the CIA should be disbanded..All secret access and priviledges to former Presidents should also be disbanded...

Posted by: frak | January 9, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Just three TDs and Philly is right back in this one. Way to show up.

I was under the impression that Dallas' streak of "haven't won a playoff game since 1995" or whatever would continue in perpetuity. Now we have to reset that clock? Ugh...

F Dallas, and tonight, F Philly more.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 9, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

mock drafts analysis update

based on 139 mock drafts

#1 pick - Clausen 54%, Suh 41%, Bradford 3%
#2 pick - Suh 51%, G.McCoy 19%, Okung 17%, Berry 7%
#3 pick - G.McCoy 39%, Berry 28 %, Okung 13%, Suh 8%
#4 pick - Okung 26%, Bradford 26%, Berry 13%, G.McCoy 12%, Clausen 8%
#5 pick - Okung 32%, Berry 24%, Campbell 13%, Bradford 9%, McClain 6%

Posted by: noonefromtampa | January 9, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

George Michaels..I always said the Sports Machine causes cancer, hahaha...pardon my sick...where's that crazy b#tch...

Posted by: frak | January 9, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

F the Eagles, what losers

Posted by: chrislarry | January 9, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

For the second straight week, the Eagles are embarrassed on national television. Who would've thought that at one point they were the potential #2 playoff seed.

The thought of the 'Skins drafting Russell Okung makes me salivate.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | January 9, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Just three TDs and Philly is right back in this one. Way to show up.

F Dallas, and tonight, F Philly more.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | January 9, 2010 11:18 PM | Report abuse

YYYEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

Dallas won their playoff game!

Yeeeeessssssss!

Now they are stuck with Wade Phillips and Dipstick Romo for another season!

HA!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

So what if they won the NFC East.....

Posted by: edvar | January 9, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

So what if they won the NFC East, a rested Favre and Petersen are going to LUNCH on that stage prop next week..

Posted by: frak | January 9, 2010 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice an Iggle team that never runs the ball until they were down by 3 scores????? Andy Reid just doesn't get it.

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | January 9, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Frak,

Damn, just read the "Sports Machine" post.... one sick dude.... ouch!

CLEGG

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | January 9, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

"Winning is Losing" never rung so true.

HA!

Posted by: edvar | January 10, 2010 12:06 AM | Report abuse

I wish someone would preserve me.
Posted by: League-Source

I've got a pickle jar right here. I'll brine you until Snyder sells the team.

Posted by: daggar | January 10, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Now about that Cincy d coordinator we were thinking about ... second thoughts anyone?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 10, 2010 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Mista Moe... is your alter ego logging into your account behind your back? Or, do you work for the Wash Post and just try to drive click refresh Ad revenues by stirring up counter opinions?? Within 30 minutes your opinion of the rookie QB Sanchez vs Campbell flip flops...??

Mista Moe writes at 10:01pm a post about Campbell vs Sanchez..

And 4-12.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 9, 2010 10:01 PM
====================================
Mista Moe writes another 10:31pm post about Campbell vs Sanchez;

Sanchez.

The kid is deadly accurate.

He puts the ball in the best spot for a receiver to catch it.

Campbell does have some strenghts.

But he is not as accurate as Sanchez.

That is not even debatable.

Posted by: MistaMoe | January 9, 2010 10:31 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | January 10, 2010 2:28 AM | Report abuse

So long, Joe

After 35 years of coaching in the NFL, including three seasons as head coach
of the Cardinals in the early 1990s, Joe Bugel has decided to retire.

The architect of the famed "Hogs" offensive line with the Redskins in the '80s, Bugel spent the past six seasons coaching again in Washington.

"It's a sad day to see such a good coach walk away," said Cardinals assistant head coach Russ Grimm, a four-time Pro Bowl guard for the Redskins from 1981-91. "But all the guys that played for him can say they were thankful because they learned a lot. Not just about football, but life in general and how to treat people.

"(Retirement) is well-deserved, so sit back, Joe. Relax and watch it on TV and enjoy it a little bit."

Grimm, by the way, has been mentioned as a possible head-coaching candidate in Buffalo, but according to NFL sources, the Bills have not contacted the Cardinals seeking permission to interview him.

Nice, wapo adds another out of town paper to the list of "papers who scoop us with redksins news".

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 10, 2010 4:58 AM | Report abuse

"The Jets run game looked straight out of the NFC East. Cincy couldn't handle it.

Posted by: zcezcest1"

Not really, he cajoled a good season out of a defense with very little talent. Dhani Jones was their defensive leader, last season Dhani Jones was a comentator on the NFL Network.

Posted by: chrislarry | January 10, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

The jets Oline is regarded as the best in the league, with 4 first round picks. Maumaumaumau was also out for the bengals. I don't think Zmmer or his scheme was the problem.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | January 10, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

I just hope Shanahan hires a defensive backfield coach who puts huge emphasis on backs who can CATCH THE BALL when a potential interception comes their way; perhaps the MOST FRUSTRATING aspect of watching the Redskins was seeing defensive backs drop potential picks, most of them right in their hands. It was unbelievable. How could every single back be totally unable to catch or hold balls that hit their hands? Over and over and over. Almost every game. Many of them could have changed the game. No one can explain it. So find the best defensive backs coach out there who drills them to catch the ball and fines them heavily for dropping one.

Posted by: scribebob | January 10, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse