Signings, medical updates expected

It figures to be a busy day at Redskins Park.

The team did not make any roster moves Tuesday and a few are expected. We're awaiting official word/updates about the status of running back Clinton Portis (concussion), strong safety Chris Horton (toe) and punter Hunter Smith (groin).

The Redskins are expected to sign a running back and possibly a defensive back, who would be a core special-teams guy. We'll also hear what Levi Jones has to say for the first time since he was named the new starting left tackle.

Chat with DeMaurice Smith

NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith will take your questions today in an 11 a.m. (EST) chat.

The view from Denver

One of the big concerns for the Broncos is the sudden absence of a strong running game; Denver ran only 14 running plays against the Steelers on Monday night. ... Jeff Legwold notes an oddity about Elvis Dumervil. ... Would the Broncos replace Kyle Orton?

By Jason Reid  |  November 11, 2009; 6:56 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Portis unsure if he'll play Sunday
Next: Tell us who'll win

Comments

Trouble is, at least from a purely financial perspective -- signing anyone else through the remainder of this season is simply throwing good money after bad.

In essence, Snyder and Cerrato may have already sunk all the money that they care to into this year’s version of the Dudskins -- and might not see any value whatsoever in continuing to throw away good money on this lost season.

The team stinks -- pure, simple and inarguable. Some have even observed that it's in probably the team's longer term interest to lose out through the remainder of this lost season -- if only to secure some higher draft picks in the off season. So I bet there are probably a few folks in the Redskin front office already rooting for a 2-24 season -- if only to give Dan and Vinny the privilege of screwing up a top 5 draft pick.

Besides, since every seat in the stadium is already sold through the end of the year -- more player salaries will only generate additional costs but no additional income.

And fundamentally, that's why we are saddled with a coaching staff that is outclassed at every turn and clueless about event the most basic fundamentals of the game, but apparently irreplaceable with anyone better. If you bring in a new coaching staff, and still must pay the old one, why bother?

That's also why we are saddled with a useless excuse for quarterback, a piss-poor offensive line, a prima donna running back who can't be bothered to do much more than (maybe) dress out on Sundays, pass receivers who can't be bothered to run their routes, etc. etc.

From a purely financial standpoint, there's nothing to be gained by spending another dime on this year's version of the Dudskins. The salaries are obligated, the tickets are sold, and whatever will be, will be.

There's a reason why this particular franchise is the most lucrative in all of professional football -- despite the team's sustained and continuing record of disappointingly poor performance on the field.

Dan Snyder most certainly knows this, and intuitively, so do you.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 11, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

CORRECTION:
I bet there are probably a few folks in the Redskin front office already rooting for a 2-14 season -- if only to give Dan and Vinny the privilege of screwing up a top 5 draft pick.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 11, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

What is the update on Cooley? Is he back in a month or is he done for the season?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 11, 2009 7:49 AM | Report abuse

The Redskins are really pathetic at managing injuries. Any other team would have said the season is a write off and it is worth it to us to put Cooley on IR and give him a year to heal. They waited a week to put Samuels on IR. I think they know Hunter is not going to work out this injury this season and they should put him on IR. Last year, they should have put Malcolm Kelly on IR and given another receiver an opportunity.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 11, 2009 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Haven't any updates either on the possibility of signing Larry Johnson -- but with more than $2 million and incentives left to pay on his 09 contract -- I figure we could dress him out for about $300,000 a game -- and if he somehow picks up another 300 yards between now and the end of the season -- it's roughly comparable to the $8,000 or more a yard the team currently pays to have CP26 on the roster.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 11, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 11, 2009 7:49 AM

I heard Zorn say on Redskins Nation that Cooley has to wear the boot for another 7-10 days and then be re-evaluated.

Posted by: TWISI | November 11, 2009 8:00 AM | Report abuse

I really hope they don't sign another useless running back - they don't need one.

What's wrong with starting Ladell spelling him with Rock, and moving DT to KR??

I guess that's just too common sense.

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

(From a couple days ago...I know...)

p1funk what is the point of your exercise. This offense has scored one TD in the first quarter all year, so it goes to say that everyone on offense, including JC, doesn't really play well until they are down. How many yards has CP had to start games? What about Moss? How has the blocking been on offense? It's pointless to single one player out isn't it?

Posted by: TWISI | November 9, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

The point of my exercise is to counter the points/arguments of the stat-mongers that like to whip out JC17's passer rating, completion %, etc; and try to argue that he is somehow someway not really one of the problems on this offense - that when you step back and look at his numbers he is actually producing at a high level.

I think that is bogus.

My contention is that JC17 plays poorly when the game is close/competitive and pads his stats when the team is down by a bunch and defenses start to slack off.

I use the Atlanta/Philly games as examples b/c those were the most recent, but in those games they went down by alot quickly.

I'm going to look into some other games where the score stayed pretty close throughout, and I'll bet JC played like dung throughout.

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

p1, I was under the impression that you weren't allowed to be that logical.....

why does that seem like the MOST BLEEPING OBVIOUS thing to do, but somehow, these guys don't see it....

sigh....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

"What's wrong with starting Ladell spelling him with Rock, and moving DT to KR??"

Too logical, indeed.

Trouble is, any success with this strategy might force management to concede that it's time to clear some of the fungus, deadwood and other useless crap currently hanging around the locker room.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 11, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

BeantownGreg1,
I disagree. I think the team needs three running backs active on gameday. If CP can't go, then I think they need to sign somebody. What would hurt to bring Marcus Mason back? He knows the offense. He can spell Betts from time to time. I never saw Ganther play but maybe he knows enough of the offense to contribute as well, but the point is they need that third body because injuries happen and sometimes they happen in parallel. Who would back up Cartwright if both he and Betts were down? ARE? Sellers? Are you feeling confident with those options? Do you think teams would pass rush a little with those guys in the backfield? Me? I would sign a running back and he would be active on Sunday. The team can cut Wynn again. He's not playing anyhow. Per yesterday's string, I think they should cut Rhinehart and sign a tackle as well. IMO, all of this should be done before sunset today.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 11, 2009 8:22 AM | Report abuse

rsh, I'd bring Mason back before Ganther, and I'd put Cooley or Horton on IR...I mean, no point making/rushing that back to a bigger issue that takes multiple surgeries in the off-season.

I understand the mindset behind cutting CR, but I'd like to see the guy play more than 2 games, in order to determine whether he can play or not....I just don't think that they have the people in place right now to make that determination.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Vic1 that's a good way to point it and I agree. There is no way we can win the division right now that I can see. Granted we haven't played Dallas yet, but NY, Dalas, or Philly both would have to slide. Even so we likely could not even reach a Wild Card, not with teams like the Packers, Bears, 49ers, Cards, and Falcons all way ahead of us.

If it were Me, I'd IR Cooley, Smith, and wait on Portis, but maybe deactivate him for the rest of the year to rest and heal. I'd let Paulescu take over punting, activate Yoder, sign a LB, DB, or RB to help in a pinch on Offense and Teams.

Of course that would be the smart thing to do. I'd also consider signing the best QB I can find on the market because if the O-line continues to struggle, JC and TC may not last the season.

Posted by: Veretax | November 11, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

A crystal meth addiction makes good cover for athletic methamphetamine abuse..ESPN's reporter said that amphetamines were not a major issue in sports, BULL TACO!! Just tell that to Georgie Allen and his Over-The-Hill-Off-The-Wall Gang..Greenies were the thing long before steroids..Stasi's just undercover..Like DeAngelo's tackling..peaceout

Posted by: frak | November 11, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

"...maybe so, but so has westbrook's and statistically Portis is better and ALWAYS will be.."

Your analysis of Westbrook v. Portis is flawed as the skins lean on Portis whereas the iggles don't have to feed Westbrook the ball 25 times a game.

Fewer touches will always mean fewer yards and touchdowns.

But Westbrook's skill set is such that he allows another offensive player to 'get loose' as any team doubling him, opens the field.

If you are a coordinator, you can't scheme against Westbrook without fearing DeSean Jackson or McNabb scrambling or Celek working free underneath.

Portis' presence doesn't create that kind of mismatch situation for the skins.

And this is why adding a dynamic speed back after re-building the skins' line on the fly is so important

The young receivers will only improve with playing time, and if there is a speed guy for a defense to fixate on, the more chances they'll get to make plays.

The skins offense needs a dynamic playermaker who opens things up and challenges coverages.

Portis is no longer a player for a defense to fixate on in that way.

Deal with it.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 11, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

moe, I'd venture to guess that if the team had a head coach, who know how to coach, that your statements would be proven incorrect. If they had a head coach who could get the ball to the WR/TE's on a consistent basis, then you'd see different results...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

"I understand the mindset behind cutting CR"

The mindset I get.

The logic I don't.

Who kicks out a chick without having a replacement lined up?

Who replaces Carlos Rodgers is Smoot and he are sent packing?

The team's money and picks must go to a right tackle, right guard, and back up linemen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 11, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | November 11, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Count this blogga among that faction, though I don't work for the FO. I'm rooting for a worst case scenario this year and hoping that it will give the owner a moment of clarity so that he can dump his VP of football fuguppery and start over.

Posted by: Original_etrod | November 11, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Why can't we do what the Giants are doing? They keep saying noone of any value is out there, yet a division rival who has had a better season found at least 14 n ames to bring in to try out. EPIC Failure. Fire Cerrato now Danny, at least then we can salvage some pride from this process.

Giants kick tires on 14 prospects
Posted by Mike Florio on November 10, 2009 8:36 PM ET
In what could be a strong message to some of the 53 men currently on his 5-4 team, a league source tells us that coach Tom Coughlin brought in a whopping 14 free agents for visits on Tuesday.

Fourteen.

Of that amount, 13 came in for tryouts and one for a mere visit.

Getting tryouts were kicker Shane Andrus, defensive tackle Lonnie Harvey, tight end Joe Klopfenstein, punter Tim Masthay, defensive back Marcus McCauley, defensive back Chad Nkang, quarterback Patrick Ramsey, defensive back Anthony Scirrotto, tackle Isaac Sowells, kicker Sam Swank, tackle Herb Taylor, punter A.J. Trapasso, and receiver Isaiah Williams.

Running back Julius Crosslin paid the team a visit, without working out.

None were signed. Yet. And there's a good chance none will be signed.

But the point possibly has been made -- Coughlin won't hesistate to make changes if the Giants don't change the outcomes of their games.

Posted by: Veretax | November 11, 2009 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: p1funk | November 11, 2009 8:12 AM

I think if you look at this year's performances, you will be correct about JC. I'd be interested in how Jason performed last year, as I think he has regressed this year. Are you looking at things like dropped balls or are you just doing a casual analysis.

Posted by: TWISI | November 11, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

bean

The following 'big time backs' are done:

Clinton Portis
Fred Taylor
Larry Johnson
LaDanien Tomlinson
Edgerrin James
Deuce McCalister

Those guys took over when these guys got old:

Shaun Alexander
Jamal Lewis
Robert Smith
Stephan Davis
Jerome Bettis
Ricky Williams
Rudy Johnson

No matter who's coaching, you can't out coach Father Time.

Father Time out-coached both Bill Walsh and Vince Lombardi.

The skins should pay Portis to leave.

But hey, it's not my $7.5 million dollars to spend, so I guess he stays.

Or does he?

Posted by: MistaMoe | November 11, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Liked

Posted by: Vic1 | November 11, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Count me among those who like what Coughlin did this week. Of course, he's working for an organization that seems to focus more on performance and winning...

Posted by: Vic1 | November 11, 2009 9:14 AM | Report abuse

@Vic1

There is no need for correction on the 2-24 prediction. There is actually a high likelihood that the Redskins will lose the remainder of this season and the first 10 games of next season. Scary thought, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Posted by: JohnWWW | November 11, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

moe, I'd just like to see a foot inserted into CP's backside/him get in shape and the pipeline to the owner get cut off, before I cast him aside...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

re-sign andrew crummey... he's sitting on the texan's practice squad...

Posted by: jimmy_the_crickett | November 11, 2009 9:29 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | November 11, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Wow. I just never thought we'd reach the day when Charlie Casserly of all folks would implicitly urge the fans to boycott the Redskins.

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 11, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattphillips | November 11, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

BOYCOTT THE REDSKINS!!!

Posted by: Pepper5 | November 11, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mattphillips | November 11, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Point blank: The Redskins need to go an entirely new direction from top to bottom! There are some players on the team that are studs. I think a few years ago Santana Moss made this quote: "Big Time Players make Big Time Plays!" Well...since there haven't been many Big Time Plays this years we need to question if we have Big Time Players, but is Vinny the right guy to question that? The census around town is No! Therefore, the owner needs to lose his poker face and stop bluffing the fans and let it be known he's "ALL IN"

I believe Mr. Synder can be a "BIG TIME OWNER" Atleast he's willing to spend Big Time... Big Time decisions are on the horizon... Starting with Vinny and the Coaching staff.

I've watched Jason Campbell for the past 2 years and I believe he's a decent QB. One we can win with! As I recall even Joe Gibbs won a few Superbowls with QB's that didn't come with all the hype of the Manning's, Cutler or Sanchez! If we can recall what made those seasons and teams so special were the "Hogs!" Look at Denver this year, even Kyle Orton looked "Pro Bowl" early on when his O-Line gave him adequate protection and opened up holes for the backs... Look at him now...since there have been alot of breakdowns in the O-Lines play...No running game...No protection... Now more losses than wins the past few weeks! I'm giving Jason Campbell a vote of confidence, I'm questioning the front offices desire to put a quality O-Line in place especially since there were decent linemen available in past drafts and in free agency this past year. Oh yeah, Dockery was a good pick up, but we could have used 2 more linemen of that caliber. If Timmy Smith could rush for 200 yards in a Superbowl what does that tell you? "The game has always been won or lost in the Trenches!"
The Redskins need guys capable of winning the battles within the Trenches, not winning the battle of off season "MARKETING!"

Posted by: NitePoetz | November 11, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Veretax,
Maybe Vinny should just take that list of thirteen and work them out, too. You have to admit the Giants are better evaluators of talent, so this list of guys is probably better than anything Vinny could come up with...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | November 11, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"My son thinks Clinton Portis looks like a turtle. Remember that next time you look at him."

Now don't go on being a turtle hater. Turtles are actually nice little creatures that do their fair share of work and other things -- and you'll never see them laying around and jawboning about how everything is somebody else's fault.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 11, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Vic1, you are stupid. Portis hating is for morons who don't know anything about football. And I have YET to hear him call out another player publicly, because he never has. This also proves that you are stupid. Please save your posts for the "stupid" boards.

Posted by: wewbank1 | November 11, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

And I love how people say Portis has lost it and in the same breath point out that this is the WORST O-Line in the league. The same goes for Campbell too, but with Portis it's different. He deserves some respect for what he's done as a Redskin. The dude plays harder than anyone on the team, and is respected by his teammates. He'll probably never get respect from "stupid" fans like vic1, but the majority of fans who understand football appreciate everything he's done on and off the field.

Posted by: wewbank1 | November 11, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Wewbank!

Appreciate the feedback, but I need to set the record straight. I'm not hating on Portis -- I'll leave that to his so-called coaches and teammates.

For example, when asked earlier whether Ladell Betts offers a "bit more in terms of strong running and healthy running and good legs," offensive coordinator Sherm Lewis responded, "Yeah, I think so."

He added, "I think [Betts] practices more consistently. Now Clinton practiced last week, but Ladell practices more consistently, and I think just the timing with the offensive line may be just a little bit better. So he'll give us a spark, there's no question about that."

It's hard to mistake the notion that Smith thinks more highly of Betts... and in my humble estimation, for good reason too.

I'll also be pleased to save my posts for the "stupid" boards if you'll tell me where you normally post.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 11, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

REPOSTING from an ealier thread --

The Dude is cancer in the locker room -- a clown-faced distraction on the sidelines -- and the perfect personification of the notion that all you really need to do to get ahead around here is to suck up to the owner and his cronies.

And unfortunately, the only GM/VP for football operations in the entire league who would now consider something as absurd as trading for CP26 already works for the Redskins -- and even someone as slowwitted as Vinny Bugeyes will eventually figure out there's no need to trade for another washed up, waste of space player -– especially if this loser is already on your roster.

So for better or worse, CP26 is our problem child to contend with for at least another season and a half -- and we should count the money committed to him as already spent -- wasted away and irrecoverable.

So now comes the decision on whether to keep CR26 on the active roster or just inactivate him already, write him off as a lost cause, and use his roster spot for someone else who actually wants to play here.

And regardless, while he is still on the payroll, perhaps the ownership group could recover at least some of their sunk costs in him by asking him to apply his waning talents to serving drinks, hors devours, and cigars in the owner's box -- like so many of the other nearly departed and/or over the hill gang that seem manage to hang on to some tortured and fleeting sense of their legacies by haunting the bowels and crevices of FEDEX Field on game days.

Posted by: Vic1 | November 11, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse