Skins Get a Bit of Time Off

There will be several changes in the camp schedule today at Redskins Park.

The Redskins are off in the morning, fans are not permitted at the complex and media availability will occur after the afternoon practice. The morning practice Tuesday will be open to the public at 8:30 a.m. at Redskins Park.

"I'm going to let the guys sleep in. Breakfast will be optional," Coach Jim Zorn said. "If you're injured, you get no sleep. If you have something to do, you have to do it.

"The first thing in the morning will be at about 10, and it'll be a weight-lifting session. Some guys will come out and do a little conditioning. The guys that need a little extra will come out and do a little drill work."

The team will practice in shells and spend most of the time "working on various schemes and situations," Zorn said.

By Jason Reid  |  August 3, 2009; 5:34 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: So Much Will Be on the Line...Again
Next: Defense Strives to Be Different, but Still Dominant

Comments

beep beep

or that other thing.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 3, 2009 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Just finished watching step brothers, the movie...

2nd Best Will Ferrel Movie. Ever....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 2, 2009 7:42 PM

Not sure what you have ranked 1st, but it is one of Ferrell's best.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2009 5:40 AM |

Dude - you can't start off the week this lame! Don't be a dumb azz! (Remember the A&W root beer commercial? Thickheaded!) He's a Skins fan. He has to have "Ron Burgundy" ranked #1! Sheesh.

Posted by: TubularBells | August 3, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TubularBells | August 3, 2009 6:35 AM

Good point. I'd have them in that order, but I understand that not everyone will agree. Wasn't thinking of that angle...too early in the morning!

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2009 6:39 AM | Report abuse

Hey T_E...in the interest of being fair, Larry Weisman addresses our on-going argument about Orakpo on Redskins.com:

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

1. Anchorman
2. Old School
3. Elf
4. Stepbrothers
5. Zoolander

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 3, 2009 6:54 AM | Report abuse

It's not a movie, but my favorite Ferrell is when he does that impersonation of Robert Goulet. High comedy...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2009 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, does anyone have a link to the Erin Andrews nudey video? I'm sick of hearing about it without seeing what the hype is about.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2009 7:24 AM | Report abuse

been out a couple days, no real injuries to hear about is def a good thing, sox picking up v-mart for a song is a good thing, read through some of the posts up here, did people really write to J. Reid complaining that the posts were too positive, and upbeat?? ufb, that just reeks of someone whose sign-on rhymes with pork, stork, and that show with Mindy.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Went to camp yesterday morning and am SO excited. I feel really, really good about Malcolm Kelly & Devin Thomas. They looked really good and it's looking more and more like they will be a big part of the team this season. Malcolm Kelly's between the legs catch was awesome, it drew the loudest cheer from the crowd all morning...

Posted by: rachel216 | August 3, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | August 3, 2009 8:03 AM

So many jokes, so little time...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

So far, it seems Zorn has been real easy on the players. I don't think every coach needs to be a strict disciplinarian, but with an offensive line that cannot pass block and developing receivers, I don't see why there should be time off this early in camp - at least for the offense. I am not a fan of this coach's offense or his approach to coaching. Zorn is a cream puff and his players are going to walk all over him this season (aside from Portis, who started the march last year).

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 3, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Not sure where you're coming from on that RSH...especially after reading the Sally Jenkins column.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Until we can get a reliable analisis of the problems with the pass blocking I am not sure what to think.. Cindy, could the post maybe get an ex-hog to do a few days of coverage and breakdowns?

Posted by: alex35332 | August 3, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

brownwood

"....does anyone have a link to the Erin Andrews nudey video?"

Ten Famous Women Whose Video We'd Prefer Not To See:

1. Rosie O'Donnell
2. Star Jones
3. Meredith Viera
4. Rachel Ray
5. Erin Andrews
6. Katie Couric
7. Amy Winehouse
8. Barbara Walters
9. Queen Latifah
10.Minnie Mouse

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 3, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

moe, I think you could have ommitted RRay, and EAndrews from that list.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

lmao - pretty accurate, Moe!

Today's listening assignment is some local flava & is dedicated to everyone who came to Boogie Down

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 3, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Moe, you must not know who Erin Andrews is if you have a problem seeing her in her birthday suit...and you're crazy for having her, Rachel Ray and Katie Couric on that list. I hate her face, but Katie Couric has a nice body.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2009 8:31 AM | Report abuse

alex

"Until we can get a reliable analisis of the problems with the pass blocking I am not sure what to think..."

True.

I'm a great believer in the 3rd preseason game.

That's the one where most teams game plan and let the starters play well into the 3rd quarter.

The skins play the pats of Belichek. That game should be a good measuring stick for both the defense and offense.

But until then, let's just say to o-line is a work inprogress.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 3, 2009 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 3, 2009 8:25 AM

I'm waiting until the first pre-season game to see how they play. RSH and CL were up here yesterday calling for "scouring the free agents and trade possibilities."

These old ladies sound like the first-day panic last year that brought us Jason Taylor. Maybe we'll have to look outside, but not on the fourth day of camp.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 3, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Whats up it's been a long time but I couldn't handle the constant crying on here.

Greg hows it going?

I'm in Orlando on vacation going to Wet N Wild today, I will be back to regular posting on Monday.

Sounds like the Defense is going to be nasty, Offense still needs to gel they have time.

Posted by: Flounder21 | August 3, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

I worry too T_E but I am not gonna jump on the trade wagon. Some times people see what they want to see and show what they want to show. Heard a radio caller call and say that he was at practice and saw Collins was playing better than JC17 so we should bench Campbell for Collins. Probably does not take into account that JC is gonna go up against better players in practice then Collins

Posted by: alex35332 | August 3, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Ten Famous Women Whose Video We'd Prefer to See:

1. Heidi Klum
2. Megan Fox
3. LisaRaye
4. Natasha Curry
5. Alicia Keys
6. Scarlet Johanson
7. Shakira
8. Colleen Dominguez
9. Inez Seinz
10.Kelly Rowland

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 3, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

flound, whats up bud, good to have you back, have fun on the trip we'll talk more when you get back.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Collins talk - wow. Had written him off since last pre-season, but whoever's better - play 'em.

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 3, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Cindy,

Has anyone spoken about the development of Chand Reinhart? I know it's early and the O-line is a work in progress, and needs time to work together to develop chemistry. But a lot of us are really concerned about the early reports.

Posted by: Devo2 | August 3, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | August 3, 2009 8:03 AM

So many jokes, so little time...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2009 8:05 AM

That is hilarious,bw26 I couldnt have said it better.

Posted by: smittdiddy | August 3, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Original_etrod your done dude, anything else you say has zero weight. Elf above Zoolander???? The older I get and the more times I see Zoolander the funnier it is. Best Will Ferrell material ever is SNL's Bad Doctor. Check out Will's character on East Bound and Down (best show on TV), pretty good.

The Erin Andrews video is pretty good and she is smokin, pretty tight body! Its pretty boring to watch a naked woman blowdry her hair and walk around her room for 5 min from a hole in the wall. Go to OVguide.com and search the adult section for her name you will find it pretty easy.

Posted by: murphyz | August 3, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

And the Bro-Mance betwixt Beantown Greg & Flounder begins anew.....

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Chad Reinhart? Who's that?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 3, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

cl, good to hear from you, how are things??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

i asked J Reid to have the team's back, and called those being hard on the team "hard ons".

mork from cork came back with, "I'd rather be a hard on than a soft off"

This just goes to show the LAMENESS that were dealing with............."soft off"??!!??!?!?

Posted by: pabrian2003 | August 3, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

I disagree about Zorn being too soft on the team. Yes there's a lot of work to be done but if you think these guys need an extra practice to get in shape, you're kidding yourself. I've always thought it was better to err on the side of "less is more" in training camp to minimize likelihood of injuries and fatigue. Injuries are a part of football and will come, but no need to add to that probability. Not saying training camp should be a walk in the park by any means, but you need to be smart.

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 3, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Chad Reinhart? Who's that?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 3, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

My point exactly. That's why I'm so worried. If our O-line can't put it together we're dooomed.

Portis can't take much more and Campbell won't have an opportunity to prove if he's capable of beging a true number one QB. That second rounder is looking more and more costly. Thank you very much Vinny ala Jason Taylor fleecing

Posted by: Devo2 | August 3, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Flounder, I dropped a floater in the Wet N Wild kiddie pool about 25 years ago. Good times.

Until I see otherwise, Zorn would have made an amazing o-coordinator... but I'm not convinced he knows what is best for all parties on the team.

Posted by: Dorf | August 3, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

He's a Skins fan. He has to have "Ron Burgundy" ranked #1! Sheesh.

Posted by: TubularBells | August 3, 2009 6:35 AM

He would be correct......

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

of the Ferrell movies I have seen here is how I would list them.
These rankings are based on which one I would watch if they were on TV at the same time.

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004)
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006)
Semi-Pro (2008)
Blades of Glory (2007)
Stranger Than Fiction (2006)
Old School (2003)
Zoolander (2001)
The Producers (2005)
Ladies Man
Wedding Crashers (2005)
A Night at the Roxbury (1998)
Elf (2003)
Kicking & Screaming (2005)
Bewitched (2005)
Starsky & Hutch (2004)

Posted by: alex35332 | August 3, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

p.s. Redskinhead, just a follow up on the "Zorn cream puff" - keep in mind that we opened camp earlier than all but 5 teams. Some don't even start until today, making an early mini-break an even better idea IMO

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 3, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Hey Moe!

I strenuously object to Rachel Ray being on your list and submit the following evidence:

Posted by: isnadd | August 3, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Wedding Crashers is not a Will Ferrell film since he had a bit part, but still you are insane to have it that far down any list. Blasphemy.

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 3, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 3, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Owen Wilson factor.

That and they should have given Walken more screen time.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 3, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Ten Famous Women Whose Video We'd Prefer to See:

1. Heidi Klum
2. Megan Fox
3. LisaRaye
4. Natasha Curry
5. Alicia Keys
6. Scarlet Johanson
7. Shakira
8. Colleen Dominguez
9. Inez Seinz
10.Kelly Rowland

Posted by: MistaMoe

Uh huh, two words: In and deed. Like the mix of ladies too. All of 'em are bad.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Chad Reinhart? Who's that?

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 3, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Devo2 | August 3, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I hear you. But at least for the near term, we are in relatively good shape at OG- it's tackle, specifically RT, that concerns me. If Heyer doesn't step up, we could be in huge trouble. Our backup plan is a man that's been out of football 2 years and weighed over 400 lbs on New Year's Day? Oh boy...I'm not really sure about that Jansen cut...

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 3, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Alex that list is straight tard.....

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

If anyone had a step brother who entered your life between the ages of 10 - 17 where you had to move in together, you would rate this movie as high as I did as well. So much rang true, it was unbelievable.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

My worry is that Chris Samuels this year will be like Jansen last year. All the video on TV last night was of Chris getting beet around the outside by Orakpo.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 3, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | August 3, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

I have mixed feelings about Heyer. He could make or break us, but I like how we are trying to develop our own talent (like good teams do). Not sure what a rookie RT would do any better. We have alot invested in Heyer so I say let's wait to see the end of the movie.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 3, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Alex, I am worried at highly ranked you have Roxbury and Semi-Pro.....

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 3, 2009 9:34 AM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 3, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

You can disagree if you like. I am more a slack pack fan then a fan of The Ben Stiller crew.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 3, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: isnadd | August 3, 2009 9:30 AM

Good stuff...but be aware that the one of her from behind was PhotoShopped.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Ayo isnadd, just clicked on that link on Rachel Ray. My GOODNESS, I sure would like to click her link -- DAMN!!!

I always thought she had a bangin' face, but she got the body to match. She's a #1 stunna for real.

I would pay twice to see her nude video. She could just pose and what not and it'll still be better than that Paris Hilton garbage.

Posted by: RedDMV | August 3, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

I'm not really sure about that Jansen cut...

Good thing too, because coach Zorn, he was really sure, Jansen was 2 years past his due date at LEAST.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 3, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I am rooting for Heyer, and like home-developed talent. But that doesnt minimize the fact that we have injected a negligent amount of young talent at that position. Even if Heyer is all pro (here is hoping!) this would still be true.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 9:45 AM

This puts ChRiS LArrY in the PeteR kINg camp when he wrote last week "By choosing to go with Orakpo over an offensive lineman (Michael Oher?) in the first round, the Redskins delayed the rebuilding of an aging, injury plagued unit. That worries me. It should worry Redskin fans."

I'm in that same camp with CL and PK. But, boy, early reports on Orakpo are sure encouraging. Of course, early reports on Oher have been good, too.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 3, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

After reading that article by Wiesman posted by BW, I think it is clear that ORakPizzy will be playing SAM 1st and 2nd down. If we go to nickel on 3rd (or 2nd), he would have been that 3rd LB who would have to leave the field to be replaced by a DB. So, instead of him leaving, they put him on the DLine to Rush the passer. To be honest, this makes perfect sense.

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 3, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

"I think our first backup plan is Jeremy Bridges who by all account has done pretty well. After that we're in trouble."

I predict Bridges starts 8+ games and is key contributor this year. Between injuries, his versatility, our lack of O-line talent and his history as a starter I think he steps up big.

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I really would like to hear some commentary on how the younger guys are doing. I haven't heard a single word on Rinehart, Clark, or Montgomery. Anyone going to training camp seen these guys?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 3, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

OH TE...

I am pro-'Po My statement was more broadview over the last 3-4 years and speaks to more than just the first round of the draft...or the draft at all...

Posted by: chrislarry | August 3, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 3, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Knock Knock
Who's There?
Beep
Beep Who?
Beep Beep

Posted by: isnadd | August 3, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to raise a media question at this point:

Which broadcast do you folks like to follow during camp/pre-season? Redskins Nation has a pretty low production value and some of the better shows don't focus enough on the Skins... Any happy mediums?

My DVR thanks you!

Posted by: DikShuttle | August 3, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Here what Samuels is saying about Orakpo from extremeskins

“You know, I’ll tell you, this young kid is going to be awesome at this level,” said offensive tackle Chris Samuels. “I’m working against him and he beat me a few times out there. I’m just trying to get back into the groove of things and he’s coming out fired up as a young pup. He’s going to be awesome, and I tell you what – I’m definitely glad to be working against him. He’s definitely going to help me get better.”

“Oh, definitely, I’ve got to step it up,” he said. “Any time you go against anyone out here, they’re pros so you’ve got to step it up, but like I said, he’s definitely good. He’s going to be a great one. I compare him to DeMarcus Ware already, with his speed, quickness and power. He’s a tough guy.”

Posted by: TWISI | August 3, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 3, 2009 9:50 AM

It was a tough call, in my opinion their biggest need going into that draft was DE and RT. I would have liked either pick, Oher or Orakpo. I like the early returns on Orakpo and if their use of him is any indication, Oher would be splitting time at RT and Center anyway...

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 3, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Ten Famous Women Whose Video We'd Prefer to See:

1. Heidi Klum
2. Megan Fox
3. LisaRaye
4. Natasha Curry
5. Alicia Keys
6. Scarlet Johanson
7. Shakira
8. Colleen Dominguez
9. Inez Seinz
10.Kelly Rowland
Posted by: MistaMoe

What happened to Beyonce, JLo, Angelina, etc...

Posted by: abxinc | August 3, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins will finish with a 4-12 record.

Too bad, Danny Snyder.

Maryland football will finish with a 2-10 record.

Maryland basketball will finish with a 15-16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

Carolina Blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | August 3, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse