Smith praises Campbell's play

Despite playing behind an injury-weakened offensive line, quarterback Jason Campbell has been more productive than he was earlier in the season and the offense has shown signs of improvement recently.

In the 27-24 loss in Week 11 to the Philadelphia Eagles, Campbell threw two first-half interceptions that resulted in Eagles field goals. But he also threw two touchdowns, ran for another and often made plays while eluding the pass rush.

Although the Redskins are 3-8 and in last place in the NFC East, Campbell recently has made some good things happen.

"Jason is doing a great job," offensive coordinator Sherman Smith said. "All of our big plays come through the passing. They all come through Jason. Somehow, he's got to make a play. He scrambles, he throws the ball, he does a good job in the pocket and he throws the ball. Every big play that we've had has been a result of him. He has been outstanding. And just imagine what he could do under different circumstances."

The Redskins' offensive line has been in tatters since Pro Bowl left tackle Chris Samuels and right guard Randy Thomas suffered season-ending injuries early in the schedule. Campbell has been sacked 30 times - the league's third-highest total.

"Not to knock the line, because they are trying their hardest to protect him and give him an opportunity to throw the ball," Smith said. "Those guys are trying. But Jason - he's a man.

"He's a very good football player, and if he wasn't making the plays that he's made, heck, we wouldn't have the three wins we have. He gives us a chance on Sunday. It means something to him. And that means a lot to us."

The last word(s)

The NFL says the Juqua Parker hit on Campbell was legal, although reasonable minds may disagree. Dan Steinberg looks at the play at D.C. Sports Bog. ... Should Clinton Portis, who is still recovering from a concussion, play again this season? Weigh in at the Redskins Tailgate Zone.

By Jason Reid  |  December 2, 2009; 7:07 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins sign defensive lineman to practice squad
Next: Eloi signed to practice squad

Comments

Sounds like the beginning of a wave of internal lobbying to keep Campbell around next season. Frankly, I think Sherm Smith was part of the problem with the offense before Sherm Lewis showed up, and I have a hard time finding any credence in his words about Campbell. Campbell isn't the quarterback of the future, but if they can get him to hang around for another season, it might give them time to rebuild the offensive line while still fielding an offense that can score. Frankly plus two, if Campbell did re-sign with the Redskins, my already low opinion of him would sink a notch lower, because there's no way a "man" - as Sherm Smith describes him - would stick around after the treatment he's been given by management.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 7:39 AM | Report abuse

RedSkinHead so you're of the opinion that the skins been getting plays out of the running game? I haven't noticed that at all. I really can remember on game where the running game has been above average. Maybe you think the defense has been making plays for the offense? Nope, I can't remember the defense scoring a ton of points. Please don't let your dislike of JC have issue with another person's integrity. And um btw, since currently JC is a restricted free agent, all the skins have to do is tender him and JC has to play for the team, or break his contract. What would a real "man" do in that situation?

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2009 7:56 AM | Report abuse

Campbell and the rest of this offensive management crew should be terminated.

Anything else is rediculous!

Posted by: mmagua | December 2, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

he should stay portis and are are far worse for the team than campbell we need o line and a rb in the draft before qb

Posted by: mudman220 | December 2, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mudman220 | December 2, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse

"Sounds like the beginning of a wave of internal lobbying to keep Campbell around next season."

Redskinhead

I gotta disagree.

We've seen enough of Jason Campbell to know what he can and can't do.

But since Portis and Cooley have gone down, we've seen him lead the offense, take shots, make plays, and survive behind a makeshift line.

In other words, with the 'stars' gone, the offense has leaned on him, and he's thrived.

Sometimes a guy plays better when the world is on his shoulders.

Even when most of the time, he's getting up off his back.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

"Campbell and the rest of this offensive management crew should be terminated."

Terminated?

How?

Hanging? Lethal injection? Beheading? Gas chamber? Firing squad? Drowning? Forced viewing of Martin Lawrence movies?

Be specific.

Otherwise, we'll just let them go out and get killed every Sunday afternoon.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2009 8:23 AM | Report abuse

re-watched the Wash/Philly game, and came away with a couple things:

2. On the first play after the Tryon interception, when JC hit sellers for 11, about 10 yards behind sellers someone was running by themselves by a LARGE amount of field. Wish JC had seen that...couldn't make out the number of the player...

3. I like Rock/Mas/Ganther on the stretch plays, they plant their foot, then GO upfield..there is no dancing, there is no dodging. Not saying they could provide a viable running attack all year, but, maybe a combination of the three of them decreases the need to draft a rb high in the draft...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 8:28 AM |

I can agree with that. I think a speed back like Devine could be had in the 4th round. My thinking now is in the 1st and 2nd round of this draft I want either OL, or DL drafted.

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Ganther made a juke to make a guy miss in the backfield that CP or Betts could not have made.

I wouldn't mind if JC was still here next year - hes about #5 on the list of things that need to be fixed and there aren't going to be better options for us to win in the next year or two.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 2, 2009 8:40 AM | Report abuse

1. Moose Johnson pointed out that this is the time when you find out who on the Redskins wants to play. They're not making the playoffs, the season is essentially over. However there are certain guys who are stepping up, and still playing hard..I'd say that Tryon/Davis/Kelly/DT/Rock/Rocky, they're battling...there are also guys who've definitely mailed it....Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 8:28 AM

Which players do you have mailing it in? Not saying there aren't any...I just came away from Sunday's game thinking I had seen great effort. Mistakes aplenty (Landry's flying block tackle fail chief among them)but great effort.

Posted by: MColeman51 | December 2, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"I like Rock/Mas/Ganther on the stretch plays, they plant their foot, then GO upfield..there is no dancing, there is no dodging."

It's called a 'jump-cut': the back sees a crease in the wall of blocking, and with one step, speeds through it.

5 years ago, Clinton Portis excelled at that move.

Thing is, because he doesn't follow his blockers well, he's a one-trick pony if he's lost speed.

We need a back who can make the 'jump-cut' and follow guards, fullbacks, and other blockers with enough patience take the hole when it comes.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

twis, yeah, my heart wants the team to draft Gerhart or another bigger guy, but my brain tells me that its gotta be OL, or it just wont get fixed..

ryp, agreed, I'd venture that its even further down on that list...

Also, with Jarmon getting hurt, I'm all in for bringing back Daniels...he played well on the interior...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

monte, I'd say that perhaps you could make a case that Rogers, and Landry are the most obvious, although Landry has seemingly tried harder the past few weeks...save for that tackle versus philly...

I'll tell you another guy how is playing his arse off, is Reed Doughty...that cat is EVERYWHERE on the field....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 8:53 AM | Report abuse

TWISI,
Not sure where you got it that I think the running game is scoring or the defense is scoring. What I am saying is I don't think the improvement in the offense over the last few weeks shows JC has finally made the grade. Absolutely, the team has put up more points over the last few weeks by tailoring the offense to JC's strengths. A lot of this started happening when Sherm Lewis started calling the plays and if anyone gets credit for impoving the offense, it should be Lewis. As for Campbell, he still makes errant passes by the truckload and his TD to interception ratio is still just about 1 to 1. Campbell's still the same mediocre QB he always was, but now he has the benefit of better play calling - and an offensive line that is playing marginally better. Since you Campbell loyalists are up very early today, let me ask this question based on Cooley's comments yesterday, "Why do you think Sherm Lewis has nothing to do with Jason Campbell?"

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

I don't know why everyone wants Daniels gone. I guess it's for the orster spot. I mean I can think of 5 players off the top of my head that I'd rather see gone than Phillip Daniels.

D'Anthony Batiste
ARE
Will Montgomery
LaDell Betts
Renaldo Wynn

I'm sure there's more. Phillip Daniels is a strong LDE that is great against guys like Marion Barber and Brandon Jacobs. He's a good mentor for Jarmon. I'd like to see Jarmon get more playing time next year but I still want to see Phillip in there too. We should rotate them and keep them as fresh as possible. I find it hard to believe that a Jeremy Jarmon after 3 quarters of playing is more effective than a fresh Phil Daniels.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 2, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Just listening to interviews from the coaches and players, the two unsung men on the offensive side of the ball are Chris Meidt and Stump Mitchell. Since JZ demotion, Chris has his been heavily involved with Sherm L in the passing game, and also helps put other installs into the game plan. Chris also established the coding for JC cheat sheet. I hope he can find a role in the new regime. Stump puts the short yardage and goal line runs in. I think what the RB's are doing now shows to his coaching abilities.

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2009 8:57 AM | Report abuse

pa, hopefully a new coaching staff gets the idea of rotating players, something the current staff failed repeatedly to grasp....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

If your choice is, A. Keep Campbell for 1-2 seasons and it frees up a pick or two for O-Line or B. let Campbell go, draft a QB in the first round and not fix the lines, give me choice A.

PS there is choice C. Let Vinny draft another Safety in the first round and waste all our other picks on OLBs that can't make a practice squad.

Posted by: alex35332 | December 2, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Count me in for the group that wants to keep Campbell. I recently complained about his overthrows and under throws, but the fact is he's getting it done under more pressure than almost any other QB. So that's impressive. The point total seems to be creeping up from game to game, and he's a big part of that. He is coming ON in the 2nd half of this season despite incredible adversity, and you have to admire that.

He's still not an elite, franchise QB. But he's definitely good enough to lean on while we address the hundred other issues we currently have, in order:

1. VC
2. OL
3. RB
4. HC
5. QB
6. FS
7. Beer prices

Posted by: REXskins | December 2, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully they get the idea of specialist too. I'd love for us to get a power back and a burner in the middle to late rounds of the draft this year. They seem to think that platooning two 30 year old 6 foot tall 220 pound guys is a "2 back system". It's not. We need a 6 foot tall 240 pound guy and a 5-8 185 pound guy. Those guys are abundant in the 4-5 rounds.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 2, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 8:55 AM

You can try to lump everyone who challenges your position on tis topic as a loyalist all you want, but as you have indicated the team's production on offense has improved as the offense has been tailored to JC strength's; not some conception of what the WCO should be. This is exactly what Sherm Smith was referring to in the comments above. It also makes sense that Sherm L doesn't talk to JC because he's not a position coach, he's not the OC, he's not the HC, Lewis is the play caller. For Lewis to step in and coach up JC will F up the situation even more than it already is. Lewis' job is to understand the personnel on his offense, and the opposing team's defense and then to call plays appropriately to accentuate the skins strengths and the opponents weaknesses.

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

We need a 6 foot tall 240 pound guy and a 5-8 185 pound guy.

um...we've about cornered the market on the smaller guys, Ganther, Mason, Rock...I'd stick with them, and lets see what they can do....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

London Fletcher...the Eagle clipper

DeSean Jackson says, "I don't think I can go"
Posted by Mike Florio on December 2, 2009 8:36 AM ET
How quickly has the perception regarding concussions changed among those who follow the NFL? Already, there's a presumption upon learning that a player suffered a concussion that he'll be on the sidelines for at least a week.

It was the first thought that came to my mind upon learning that Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson suffered a concussion on Sunday against the Redskins -- primarily since Jackson is on my fantasy team in my family league, where if I win the response is "he should win since he follows football for a living" and if I lose the response is "man, you must really suck at following football for a living."

So, as expected, Jackson likely won't be playing against the Falcons.

But there's a twist. Instead of the Eagles shutting Jackson down, he seems to be shutting himself down.

"I don't think I can go," Jackson said Tuesday, per Sal Paolantonio of ESPN. "I blacked out."

As Paolantonio points out, Jackson's comments are the first evidence that Jackson was knocked unconscious when the 5'10", 245-pound London Fletcher blasted the 5'10", 175-pound Jackson after Jackson made a third-quarter catch.

The video suggests otherwise. Unlike running back Brian Westbrook, who clearly was knocked out the last time the Eagles played the Redskins, Jackson never stopped moving. It doesn't mean he didn't suffer short-term amnesia, but it appears that he never lost consciousness.

Moreover, Jackson's candor strikes us as unusual, especially in the wake of the controversy caused by Steelers receiver Hines Ward, who made it clear that many players continue to wear their willingness to play with a concussion as a badge of honor -- and that they regard those who won't as wearing a suit of yellow feathers.

Maybe Jackson's implicit message is that he's not going to do whatever it takes to play until he gets paid. Really, is it a coincidence that his comments came on the same day that tight end Brent Celek signed a $30 million contract with $11 million in guaranteed money? Unless and until Jackson gets similar financial security, why take any unnecessary risks?

We know that's a cynical take. But we also think that the agents of players who don't like their contracts might be realizing that this new sensitivity to concussions has given them a way to take a stand without risking any consequence.

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2009 9:17 AM | Report abuse

didn't celek have like 4-5 drops in that game last Sunday??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

"...hopefully a new coaching staff gets the idea of rotating players, something the current staff failed repeatedly to grasp...."

I for one don't believe there will be a new coaching staff.

I kinda like the present structure.

Plus: stability is preferred to a '..carousel of coaching changes...'.

A mix of free agents and draftees is eeded for the offense.

The team needs a monstah right tackle and--if it's committed to Portis/Rock--a punishing big back with speed.

Jonathan Dwyer-GaTech, fits the bill.

Just like keeping things the way they are does.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

We need a 6 foot tall 240 pound guy and a 5-8 185 pound guy.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Those are 5-8 215 pound guys with 4.6 speed. I'm talking about 5-8 185 with 4.2-4.3 speed. Guys that can take punts and KRs to the house and occasionally catch a pass out of the backfield.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 2, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

"whan zorn goes we should give greg williams a call for the head coaching position. we have no toughness on this team and look at what he has done in new orleans"

Posted by: mudman220

Mudman, i really highly doubt grilliams would come back here. Hes tasted success in the N.O and was treated like crap by the clowns we have as owner and GM when he was here.

Posted by: SkinsEmAll | December 2, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe I don't think the present coaching structure can last, particularly with JZ calling plays in critical situations. If the team continues to struggle closing out halves/games on offense Snyder will want to fire JZ mid-season again. If JZ can humble himself fully to relinquish playcalling completely I'd be more optimistic about moving forward staus quo.

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

didn't celek have like 4-5 drops in that game last Sunday??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Supposedly he has some torn ligaments in his thumb. There is some speculation that he is either just making an excuse or that Andy Reid ignored the injury and continued to play him.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 2, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

About Portis: I don't see the merit in the criticism. He's an aging back who's absorbed an unusual amount of punishment over the years. As the blocking deteriorated, so did his performance. That shouldn't be a big surprise. He's a classic Shanahan 'one-cut' runner who needs a line to follow. The numbers from last season bear that out -- most of his gains were under ten yards, with relatively few long runs. Compare that with the Giants' backs, who often broke loose in the secondary for beaucoup extra yards.

Ladell Betts, a very good runner with a lot fewer miles on his chassis, outplayed Clinton until he got hurt. Amazing that so many here were agitating to 'dump' Betts at the beginning of the season. Just shows you what we fans know -- not much.

I guess that's why the coaches keep giving Mike Williams another chance. He can drive-block. It was a big change for the Skins when they could no longer run off left tackle. Now, like most NFL teams, they're looking to run off-guard.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 2, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

mike wise and j. reid stink on ice

Posted by: jonthefisherman | December 2, 2009 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

If there are guys who have "definitely mailed it in" you should be able to definitely (and easily) name them. Instead of maybe, perhaps, possibly one could make a case for...Sounds like a bs Bean. I'm not saying it is, but man does it sound like bs.

Posted by: mack1 | December 2, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

in looking at the stats from the pats/no game, NE had success running the ball on these guys, top 3 backs had combined 104 yards on 23 carries...4.5 per carry...gonna have to get the running game going to keep the NO offense off the field...which means, that its important not to panic, and not to get behind early, no easy task...running the stretch play, short passing game, are gonna play a big role....JC's gotta be accurate, and the OL has to nut up, and knock some guys down...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Just an idle thought: all those clubs on winning streaks look vulnerable to me. The Colts should have lost two games already. The Titans are hot but how long before somebody figures out how to contain Chris Johnson? Minnesota is one shoulder injury away from disaster. And New Orleans -- well, they'll need the luck of the Vermeil St. Louis teams to win the Super Bowl.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 2, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsEmAll | December 2, 2009 9:25 AM

Not really. He was paid more than any other coordinator in the league and more than a few head coaches. And he "tasted success" long before he got to NO. He also tasted a lot of failure.

We really don't know the cause or the terms of the breakup between Williams/Snyder, but I'm sure it was nothing that couldn't be healed.

Posted by: League-Source | December 2, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

mack, "I'd say that perhaps you could make a case that Rogers, and Landry are the most obvious"

Did you not get that I named Rogers and Landry as the guys mailing it in??

check your bs-meter, seems like it might be off....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Skins 27, Saints 24. Upset of the year.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 2, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

If things stay the same at Redskins park where Danny and Vinny run the show, I hope Jason runs as far from Washington as he can get. Who knows how good he is? He has never had an offensive line that would give him time to through. Vinny has convince Dan that he can bring in a magic system to improve this team. It cannot be done. You need an offensive line to compete in the NFL. With this group, you could run the wishbone and get the same result. Time for the organization to grow up. It is 11 years old and getting worse by the day. I pray that Jason says to Snyder-Sorry I am not interested. No one wants any part of this sorry organization. Joe Gibbs could not win with Dan and Vinny here. It starts at the top. This fish is rotten.

Posted by: HelloNewman1 | December 2, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | December 2, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

That's kind of why some of us want to see him at right guard. We know he has trouble with speedy edge rushers because of his slower footwork. At guard he won't have to worry about that. The issue is going to be if he can handle the little brick shiathouse defensive tackles. If he can then he may turn out to be a longterm solution at right guard. The guy can run block we just need to get him somewhere where he isn't killing us in pass pro. I think if he fails at guard he may be gone. He did well against Carolina but they have been week at DT all year. I'm looking forward to seeing him against Sederick Ellis this weekend.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 2, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Bean, I checked the BS meter. It's working fine. Maybe you should check your dictionary's definition of "definitely." It seems to be off. Because usually when someone uses that word they don't follow it up with "perhaps."

Posted by: mack1 | December 2, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I have seen statues move better in the pocket then Jason Campbell. A good quarterback helps his line out by moving around in the pocket. I am not talking about running or scrambling. I am talking about simple movements, side steps, in the pocket to help your line out. Campbell will never be mistaken for a rocket scientist though.

Posted by: sjp879 | December 2, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't CP have a workout clause in his contract - or was that just last season?

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | December 2, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

mack, good, now check the electrical outlets in your house with a fork...really cram it in there...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

you people must be watching a different game than me, campbell is horrible. i have never seen more excuses made for a player in my life. first it was 3 years of never the same offensive system. then the lin, then the receivers, then the play calling, blah , blah blah. the guy is below average at best.

Posted by: cavalieri10 | December 2, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2009 9:08 AM
------------------------------------------
So, you are saying it doesn't show anything is wrong that the guy calling the plays on Sunday doesn't talk to the QB all week? I think it does say something and I think Cooley wouldn't have mentioned it if he didn't think it downright strange.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Skins 27, Saints 24. Upset of the year.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 2, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

The Pats only scored 13 on the Aints. How are we gonna put up 27 on a team where the D coordinator knows us like a book? Brees will pick our secondary apart.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 2, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

We desperately need Okung - that guy is a mauler.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 2, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 9:56 AM
-----------------------------------------
You forgot to say a "metal" fork. Those plastic ones just snap off with no thrilling fireworks display...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 9:56 AM

Mack, you shouldn't do this. It's unsafe. I tried it once and got the shock of my life.

Posted by: League-Source | December 2, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Campbell probably will never be more than a middle of the pack QB but who can the Skins realistically get for next season that would be better. Anyone who says Colt or Todd is a moron. QB's you could trade for or sign if released (Vick, Quinn) wouldn't be a significant upgrade. The only guy worth drafting in the 1st round is Locker out of Washington who will probably be the 1st QB taken if he decides to come out. Claussen is a typical overrated Notre Dame QB and Bradford, Mccoy, and Tebow are spread Offense guys who will struggle to run Pro Offenses.

Posted by: moseley_brian | December 2, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Campbell's a loser.
That is all.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | December 2, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Campbell's a loser.
That is all.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | December 2, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

This is sadly true. A great guy but I don't feel like he will ever be the guy to lead us to sustained victory. Like in the Philly game, he had a chance to drive us down the field to tie or win and he choked. I had 0 confidence that he was gonna do it. Favre, Brady, Manning, Brees, Rivers, shoot even Eli had that chance they would have a shot. Not JC, he hasn't done it, and will never do it.

Posted by: FedorEm | December 2, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

All this "I got your back" from coaches like Sherm Smith is meaningless since Zorn and his staff are gone.

Wjoever the new HC (and hopefully a new GM) is will decide on the roster.

I seriously doubt Campbell is back here; more likely he goes to Carolina.

Also, please stop calling people who want to see what Colt Brenann can do "morons." It's ignorant. The guy has not played a down in a regular NFL season game, so don't pretend you know whether he's any good or not.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 10:01 AM

It is strange. I think the whole system in place needs work. However, JC has a HC that is very involved in his coaching. He also has a QB coach that works with him. He also has to communicate with the OC. I don't see how adding a 4th person to mix helps. In addition, as the production on offense has seemingly been more productive, I would say this late in the season keep Lewis out of JC's coaching. Now if for some reason things are status quo in regards to structure, or if the new HC keeps Sherm L as a coach or mentor to JC, then by all means Lewis should have contact with him because they will need to develop a relationship.

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

TWISI,
Here's another question for you: why did the Redskins sign Richard Bartel to the active roster? By your analysis, Campbell is lighting it up. Collins hasn't played, so no injury concerns there. The team has made it through the season so far with just two quarterbacks on the roster, but now that a winning season is out of reach, they suddenly decide to sign a QB. It's a curious move when that roster spot could have been used to fortify depth at tightend - especially in light of Cooley's migration to the IR. Why would they waste an active roster spot on another QB?

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 10:15 AM | Report abuse

So what if Campbell is not great or never will be. Start by fixing the O-line first, THEN draft the QB of the future. When the O-line gets better, it makes everybody better. Even the defense which would get more rest between posessions.

Posted by: shanks1 | December 2, 2009 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 10:13 AM |

Are you saying that we should only have opinions of people who have actually played? That we'll never really know how good a guy is until we can look at him with 20-20, hindsight? That all draftees should be taken in the first round because we won't know how good they are until they've actually played? That we should not judge beantowngreg as a QB until he's had a few quarters behind center against a real NFL defense in a regular season game?

Posted by: League-Source | December 2, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

LOL

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

ls, as long as its not this OL, lets see what I can do....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

We'd be mourning at Colt Brennan's funeral if he played behind this oline. The guy cant even stay healthy through practice, batcrap insane to think he could accomplish ANYTHING other then getting smashed on this team.

Look at the hits Campbell has taken over the past weeks and imagine the same licks being delivered to lil'Colt.

Yes, it's ignorant to think that Colt Brennan is the answer to anything other than "name another wasted Redskins draft pick"

Posted by: divi3 | December 2, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"Why would they waste an active roster spot on another QB?"

because they fully expect Collins to get hurt too if Campbell goes down.

Posted by: divi3 | December 2, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: moseley_brian | December 2, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Our fans are naive. All they see is Matt Ryan(2008), They don't Sam Baker(2008), Justin Blaylock(2007), Roddy White(2005), Tyson Clabo(2006) Harvey Dahl(2007), and Micheal Turner(2008).

That's 4 new linemen, a WR, and a RB all brought in before or at the same time as the new QB.

All they see is Joe Flacco(2008), they don't see Jared Gaither(2007), Ben Grubbs (2007), Marshall Yanda (2007), and Ray Rice(2008).

That's 3 new linemen and a running back before or at the same time as the new QB.

Those 2 teams built their lines first and then got running backs and quarterbacks. That's why they are successful. They put their young QBs into ideal situations.

Our fans turn a blind eye to Jamarcus Russel, Joey Harrington, David Carr, and Alex Smith. Those were all guys that were drafted high and put into crappy situations. It's this type of backazzward snyderrato thinking that is ruining our organization and making us the laughing stock of the NFL. You simply do not dump a new QB or RB behind a crappy line.

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 2, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Yes. Absolutely. He has grown as a team leader. Shown toughness. Played behind the worst line in professional football. He may not be great,but who's any better they could get? I hope they show some semblence of sanity.Keep Jason,fire Cerrato.

Posted by: ridgely1 | December 2, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

JC is good enough to win behind a decent oline, as others have said, fix the line and then get your franchise qb. Just because we need a franchise qb doesnt mean there is one available. They're rare.

Look how lousy Cutler and Sanchez are playing, and those are the guys Danny did everything to sign.

Fix the line and any qb looks much better.

Posted by: divi3 | December 2, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

pa, well said, makes a ton of sense...2011 is the year to draft a qb, 2010 is the year to draft OL...LT/RT in 1 and 2...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

TWISI,
BTW, a Restricted Free Agent in the NFL gets a tender offer from the team - the tender dictates what draft pick compensation they would get if another team signed the player. Another team can offer him more and Washington has first refusal rights on the offer for seven days. If Campbell doesn't receive the tender offer - the minimum they can offer is going to be around $1.0m, as I understand it, he becomes an unrestricted free agent. This happened to Justin Geisinger last year. He was an RFA but they didn't extend a tender offer.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: moseley_brian | December 2, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

If it could be done cheaply, I wouldn't mind seeing what Vick could do again. At least he could run a little behind a terrible line. I know most people think he is a below average QB, but he took a WCO to the NFC Championship

Posted by: rupertpupkin | December 2, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Who says the Redskins are doomed to have a crappy O-line again next year?

They have an opportunity via the draft and FA to build a better line. And if they get a new GM, they may actually do it.

But that doesn't mean Campbell should be annointed the QB who plays behind it.

If he IS here, which I doubt, he should have to compete for the starting job.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

ls, as long as its not this OL, lets see what I can do....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 10:23 AM

That's what Campbell said, but they didn't listen.

Posted by: League-Source | December 2, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

the ironic thing will be that playing behind this crap line is making JC a better player as far as feeling the rush, standing in the pocket, not holding the ball too long, being a tough team leader who other players respect....at this point, his propensity to miss open receivers because he throws to first open player is the only awful thing to watch. Would that be fixed with time behind better line?

Who knows. But if it was, then just how good of a qb would we have to get to consider them an upgrade?

Posted by: divi3 | December 2, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

"We desperately need Okung - that guy is a mauler."

To play right tackle, yes.

To play left tackle, no.

And Ciron Black is a bit more athletic and can be had in the second round.

And he's a 'mauler', too.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

be nice to get an update on how Hall is progressing, same with Tryon and Smoot...heck maybe even something on Barnes, and his first game...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Guys, I agree that the team shouldn't make a play for a QB in the draft next year. They really need to focus on other areas first. Keeping Campbell may not make as much sense if a new coaching team comes in. If they bring in a play action pass - smash mouth system, I am absolutely for keeping Campbell. If the team wants to push the reset button on the WCO - going 100% WCO next season, then I would favor signing a free agent who fits the system better (Pennington?). They may want to bring in someone from their previous regime if they are bringing in some other offensive variant. So, IMO, retaining Campbell only makes sense if the money is right and the system they will be putting him in is right. I think Collins is too old. It is time to retire him. Maybe he will do it on his own, but I cannot see him back next year. Brennan could be intriguing in the right system, but he didn't show much in this last preseason and I question where his head and heart are. This kid Bartel might be interesting as well. I'd like to see him get a little spot duty now that the season is meaningless to the Redskins just to find out what they saw in him for them to make the move in the first place. I think that is probably the plan.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

"If he IS here, which I doubt, he should have to compete for the starting job."

Againts whom? Colt? Todd? Might as well annoint him the starter if that's the case.

If JC is here next season, then no other qb of real merit has been brought in or they wouldnt have paid JC to stay.

Posted by: divi3 | December 2, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

A better O-line will help Campbell (or any QB), and I think things will also improve for Campbell - if he stays - when Zorn leaves and takes his low-rent version of the WCO with him.

I have to believe that whoever the new HC is, he won't be running the WCO (thank God).

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1

I agree they are doing a workmanlike job. What I want, however, is to send the "Stretch play" and its' Zone blocking back where they came from, and go back to Redskin power football.

I can still visualize Grimm and Jacobi pulling from the left side,behind a moving H-back, Riggins taking a jab step toward the left, and then tucking in behind them for a sweep right on a Counter-Trey. THAT was redskin football.

It beats the Hell out of this stretch nonsense.

Posted by: TheCork | December 2, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

It seems that keeping Campbell around makes sense for no other reason than we have bigger priorities to address. He doesn't lose games through tragic interceptions, he just isn't able to win them with late 4th quarter heroics yet.

2-3 year deal, basic salary - lot's of incentives. Build a dominant O line through draft and FA. Up grade the running game. Look for good QB prospect to develop. New GM and a guy like Russ Grimm calling the shots.

Posted by: edvar | December 2, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Moe - thats fine with me. We need two tackles.

We might be able to get a G/C in the 4th or 3rd if we make a trade.

Not much out there in way of lineman in FA, unless we trade for a guy under contract.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 2, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 9:56 AM

But my bs detector is plugged into a wall outlet so we both know they're working quite nicely. The problem has to be with your Collin Cowherdian post about players mailing it in.

Posted by: mack1 | December 2, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Ciron Black is a bit more athletic and can be had in the second round.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 2, 2009 10:41 AM |

Our second round pick is going to be so high that it will be seen as a 1-A.

Posted by: League-Source | December 2, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Againts whom? Colt? Todd?

Posted by: divi3 | December 2, 2009 10:43 AM |
------------------------------

Against Colt, and whoever else they bring in here - Pennington, Carr, Clemens, Jackson, et al.

The Todd will be gone, I'm sure. Probably retire.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: PAskinsfan17 | December 2, 2009 10:28 AM

I don't understand why this concept is so difficult to understand...

Posted by: edvar | December 2, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Campbell is gone.

Scenario (1)

At the end of the season, Danny keeps Vinny and continues the project.

Snerrato wanted to get rid of Campbell at the start of the year because they don't think he is a leader/winner.

What does a 3-8 record with the real potential to have 12-13 losses do to change that perception in the Snerrato mindset???

NOTHING. It only reaffirms it.

Scenario (2)

Danny fires Vinny and brings in a new GM.

A new GM, who will likely hire a new coach and new staff are going to want THEIR pick at QB.

I seriously doubt that is going to be JC17. A new regime is going to be more likely to draft a QB and/or bring in some other FAs that they like.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

ryp, I could be convinced to make a run at Alex Barron of the rams, stick him at RT next year...draft a LT at #1, and either a DT to replace Griff, or a G....that being said, I'd like to see if either Edwin/Rhino/BMW can fill the RG role...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

mack, unplug it and give it a try...its for the best...

describe Rogers play this year??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

RT Willie Colon (26) is a FA after this season.

I don't know if he's a "mauler" but he's from the Bronx, and that's always a plus.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

@ RedSkinHead. Never said he was lighting it up. What I did say is the comments Sherm Smith said were correct. Minus thee teams 1st and 2nd string RBs, plus their all pro TE, the teams offensive production has improved. I think we can both agree that the playcalling has been tailored to the skills of the players, in which JC has been more than adequate. I'm not sure who you can point to as the player on offense beside the QB that the team is leaning on now.

The new guy is here to take Colt's job IMO this offseason. He will get a chance to compete, but given that he's a journyman this early in his career, and that he hasn't been in a WCO offense, don't see how we can expect him to be anymore than a backup. Now if a young QB whose been a backup, such as Dennis Dixon, David Carr magically ends up on the team, then I'd say he's a person competing for the starter's spot.

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

From the Times:

Here are the playing time totals from the Philadelphia game.

DEFENSE (72 snaps)

DL: Kedric Golston 37, Lorenzo Alexander 4, Jeremy Jarmon 9, Phillip Daniels 59, Anthony Montgomery 10, Cornelius Griffin 56, Andre Carter 70.

LB: London Fletcher 72, Rocky McIntosh 63, Brian Orakpo 56, Chris Wilson 21.

DB: LaRon Landry 72, Reed Doughty 72, Carlos Rogers 64, Justin Tryon 37, Fred Smoot 56, Kevin Barnes 8, Byron Westbrook 8, Kareem Moore 7.

(grand total is one snap over because of the 12-men penalty).

OFFENSE (64 snaps)

RB: Rock Cartwright 39, Quinton Ganther 12, Marcus Mason 9, Mike Sellers 26.

TE: Fred Davis 55, Todd Yoder 1, Lorenzo Alexander 1.

WR: Devin Thomas 45, Malcolm Kelly 29, Antwaan Randle El 40, Marko Mitchell 4, Santana Moss 59.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Skins 27, Saints 24. Upset of the year.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 2, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

I think this has the potential to be a big "trap" game for NO.

-playing on a short week
-outdoor/cold weather game
-no pressure on Skins/nothing to lose
-a top-ranked pass defense

That having been said, I think NO is perfectly aware of this and will prepare accordingly.

Drew Bress and Sean Payton are the real-deal; not plastic nincompoops like Tony Romo and Wade Phillips who don't seem to appreciate/get up for tough games in tough situations.

Add to that the Gregg Williams factor.

NO will be ready to play, and our guys are hurting.

New Orleans 28 - Redskins 10

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

describe Rogers play this year??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 10:52 AM |

Not just his play but his attitude. He's not "mailing it in." He's FedEx'ing it. I would love to hear the story that his agent spins to other teams around the league.

Posted by: League-Source | December 2, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Rogers has definitely been mailing it in. Portis, pre-injury, is another likely candidate. Heck, ARE as a punt returner has been faxing it in, too lazy to even lick a stamp... And Albert Montgomery hasn't even gotten playing time because he is so out of it. This is my list of guys that are going... uh, postal.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 10:57 AM |
--------------------------------

This bothers me.

Why is the useless ARE at 40, and MK at only 29?

And poor MM, only 4 plays.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | December 2, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Gregg Williams, Leigh Torrence, Pierson Prioleau, Mark Brunnell

These guys are not gonna let this game trap the team. They are gonna be ready to play and will know what to expect.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Sorry.. Anthony Montgomery, not Albert...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Campbell is better than half the QBs in the league and it'd be ludicrous to waste resources (money or a pick) on another quarterback (and the ensuing learning curve) when we have so many other areas of greater need. Campbell haters, get a clue. The End.

Posted by: RIP-21 | December 2, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

21, yeah, we've sort of given up on the ARE in the slot thing there...i will say that its nice to see CWilson getting more time, and producing....

props to moe, for his idea of using SMoss in the slot....I'm thinking that moe might be a genius, or wicked smaht...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 2, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

With Shanahan still out there and Gary Kubiak on the hot-seat in Houston, I wouldn't mind a Shanahan-Kubiak reunion in DC as HC/OC.

Those guys put together some pretty devastating offenses.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

RIP-21,

EXACTLY.

However Dan Snyder is still in charge, so prepare for Tebow-mania

Posted by: divi3 | December 2, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

TWISI,

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 10:31 AM

Do you really think the skins will let JC walk free after they invested a 1st round pick and years of development, if they have the ability to get something in return for him. They will offer a tender to control his ability to leave. It makes sens doesn't it?

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RIP-21 | December 2, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

The Campbell supporters need to get a clue.

As I mentioned before there are 2 possible scenarios at the the end of the season and neither of them have much room for Campbell:

Scenario 1 - Vinny stays. Snerrato sees a 12-13 loss season as validation that Campbell is a loser and they get rid of him.

Scenario 2 - Vinny goes, new GM regime. A new regime is going to want to bring in THEIR guys and THEIR picks. JC17 is likely not in those plans.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

beep

Posted by: skinswest | December 2, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Skins 27, Saints 24. Upset of the year.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 2, 2009 9:42 AM

I like your style, Rypien11 ... but my coins are going with the black rather than the burgundy (the gold is obviously a push). I agree, however, that its a good idea to take the Skins and the points ... I'm anticipating a double digit line, maybe even the first time into the twenties this season.

Posted by: dcsween | December 2, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RIP-21 | December 2, 2009 11:01 AM
------------------------------------------
Better than half of the quarterbacks sitting on the bench, right? Speaking of clueless, they will waste more money on Campbell next year because he is a RFA and that is probably going to cost them more than some of the free agents that will be on the market. The team will be looking for a caretaker, not a long term solution, so what does it matter? Maybe signing a Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich or Kerry Collins would make sense. They will probably go for cheap. The endier End.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | December 2, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

It all depends on who is controlling the project.

A new GM with a new coach isn't going to care about what has been invested in JC17 - they want to make the picks and they want their guys - out with the old, in with the new.

We already know Snerratto doesn't think JC is a winner/leader. A 12-13 loss season and JC17's uneven play will only reaffirm that perception.

Posted by: p1funk | December 2, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

No matter who the coach/GM is next year, cant have a 3-13 season and call it rebuilding. Have to win some games, which is reason enough you cant throw Vodka Collins, Leftwich, or Popgun Pennington out there.

Posted by: divi3 | December 2, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: TWISI | December 2, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

It has been said that one definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thngs but expecting a different result.

So yeah, let's keep this proven loser and poor excuse for a quarterback on the roster... along with Portis, the current o-line, the so called receiving corps, the d-backs, special needs teams, coaching staff, front office and ownership group.

And then let's go out and give away all of our draft picks and hire another overpriced and over the hill prima donna or two, while failing to address some critical needs on the roster.

We can also jack up the prices again on the parking, beer and other concessions, give the stadium support crew even more special training in fan abuse and rudeness, and continue making the game experience at FEDEX field an ever more miserable time for all concerned.

The Redskins will be lucky to finish up at 4-12 this season, but of course, with the same mix of losers next year, everything will change and for the better too.

Just ask Vinny -- because it's the same BS he has been peddling for the last several years.

Posted by: Vic1 | December 2, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332
_____
Or choice C sign a FA QB like David Carr, and let him compete with Colt Brennan for starter. Draft LT in first round and use other rounds to fill out OL and backfield. BTW if Campbell is as good as you say we should get a pretty good draft pick or player for him.. I think other teams view him as a second rate QB.. so Skins will get next to no offers for him

Posted by: sovine08 | December 2, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Offensive coordinator Sherman Smith says Campbell can play... well what the heck is he suppose to say.. he sucks??? Look Smith is gone next year along with Zorn and Campbell... But maybe Zorn and Smith can lobby the owner of the team they end up with..assuming the find a team that wants them as coaches to get Campbell.. cause I don't see a lot of teams wanting him right now.

Posted by: sovine08 | December 2, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

"Checkdown" Campbell is the king of empty/ irrelevant stats........a total failure in the DEADzone....

He will NEVER take any team to the playoffs !!!!!!

Posted by: FletcherChristian1 | December 2, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

sure, he should stay...

the team needs to work on building the team properly. that means using the draft to build talent on the line first. who better to have as a place keeper qb than the guy who's been here and is probably better than any other guy we could pick up to just throw behind a young, inexperienced o-line during the first season of actual "re-building" (presuming that it's even worth it to do right to the big guys running the show)

Posted by: bacaje | December 2, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse