Smoot's Like a Rookie Again

After eight seasons, Fred Smoot is a rookie all over again.

The cornerback is working extensively at free safety for the first time in his career as the Redskins seek to have quality depth behind starter LaRon Landry. Defensive coordinator Greg Blache intends for Smoot to fill the role cornerback Shawn Springs occasionally occupied last season.

Smoot also is expected to be the nickel corner behind starters DeAngelo Hall and Carlos Rogers. His significant experience should benefit Smoot as he tries to perform several jobs well in the team's secondary, but things are new for him as he begins his ninth season in the league.

"I am sort of like a rookie back there, but the only reason I'm really not a rookie is my knowledge of the game," Smoot said. "I still know down and distance, I still know formations and I still know things that are going to help me excel. I know things that real rookies don't know. But you still have things you have to learn back there."

With Rogers slowed while recovering from a calf injury, Smoot started at in last week's 23-0 preseason loss to the Baltimore Ravens. Smoot also played free safety with the second-team defense. He took a wrong angle in coverage that contributed to a long completion for the Ravens, but that's why teams play preseason games, Smoot said.

"I'm still working on my angles," Smoot said. "I'm still working on the 'do's' and 'don'ts' back there. But it's coming along. Definitely."

The Redskins worked effectively in three-safety alignments last season and Blache could go in that direction again, especially if Smoot quickly figures out how to play safety. Second-year player Kareem Moore is another option at the position, but the coaching staff's comfort level, at least at the moment, is higher with Smoot.

And if Smoot is successful in the job, well, versatility always is a plus.

"The thing about it is in football, the more things you can do the more valuable you are to your team," Smoot said. "Anything that you can do to add something else to your repertoire, I suggest you do it. That's what I'm doing."

Afternoon Practice Update

enjoying the afternoon off, as was Albert Haynesworth. Anthony Alridge was sidelined again. Maese didn't see Mike Williams, who sprained his ankle in the morning practice, and he was definitely not doing 11-on-11 team drills. Antonio Dixon was back doing team drills after spending the morning doing work on the sideline.

By Jason Reid  |  August 18, 2009; 3:45 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Williams Keeps 'Chopping' Weight Down
Next: Moore Trying to Develop

Comments

Or, more accurately, Bob Novak, rot in he11

------------------------
RIP Bob Novack

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 18, 2009 2:05 PM

Posted by: hogmeister | August 18, 2009 4:14 PM

Posted by: hogmeister | August 18, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

BMW sprained his ankle? Well, there goes our 16-0 season...

Posted by: hogmeister | August 18, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 OR 10TH. WHO CARES ! DOES ANYONE HAVE MARTY S. EMAIL AD ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 18, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

What about Kareem Moore?

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 18, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm sort of surprised here. The lack of depth seems to be at CB, not safety. Outside of Rodgers/Hall/Smoot I don't trust anyone else of the Skins roster to be out on the field as a CB.

I thought Kareem Moore looked good in the first preseason game as well as last year. They also have depth at Strong safety with Doughty back.

I think I can speak for most when I say I'd be much more comfortable with Kareem Moore filling in at FS than if Tryon/Barnes had to fill in as a Nickle CB. I'd rather see Smoot focus exclusivly on CB at this point since he's going to be needed plenty in the Nickle role (or as a starter if there is an injury).

Posted by: HokiePaul | August 18, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Seems like everyone was out of position on D: Orakpo @ LB, Smoot @ Safety, Tryon & Barnes @ slot... Further reason not to hyperventilate about the shellacking in Baltimore.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 18, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

So has the the Smoot Safety Experiment been in the works during the entire offseason? Or has this been something they're deciding to do recently? Doesn't seem like good resume material for Kareem Moore.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HokiePaul | August 18, 2009 4:23 PM

Last season, Moore was only ever listed as DB. And that's what the nfl.com site labelled him on the draft coverage. Maybe he gets moved to focus on corner?

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HokiePaul | August 18, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------

Slot DB is not always the #3 DB or 'nickle' back. For example, last year Springs played a lot at slot (depending on match-up), leaving Smoot and Rogers wide. Smoot still had the 'nickle' designator though because that signifies personnel, not the alignment.

I think the plan is to have DHall take the slot role for now, and Rogers will have to lock down his side so that safety can help Hall and Tryon/Barnes should Smoot not be available.

Not the worse thing in the world, IMO, as our pass rush *should* alleviate the CB concerns anyway.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 18, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------

Not necessarily. The difference is SS vs FS. Moore might be an OK backup at SS since he's a solid hitter, but FS is a totally different beast. That's the stop-gap which prevents the long ball and contests the coverage break-downs, etc. You don't necessarily need to level people, you just need to have the speed (or instincts) to get there.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 18, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Geez...reading this blog is like getting fingernails pulled out.

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan

Watchu mean "GETTING like".... You a newbie? We pride ourselves on being he bamboo Shoot Torture of sports Blogs...

Posted by: TheCork | August 18, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

DOES ANYONE HAVE MARTY S. EMAIL AD ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 18, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

It all depends on what kind of nickel coverage - zone or man2man with safety help. Do you drop the five DBs back in a zone or do you put Hall in the slot with Smoot on the outside with help?

The more versatile the better off the defense is. I would love to see some five man lines (Hanesworth, Griffin, and Daniel on the inside with Carter and Orakpo outside); one linebacker and five dbs.

Posted by: bangkokben | August 18, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I like Kareem Moore too, but I can see why they'd want a vet at that position.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 18, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Ok, who let Tony Banks on the thread?

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 18, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bangkokben | August 18, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------

To quote Coach Janky Spanky, 'Gimme 12 Sean Taylor's'

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 18, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

FUmoron@idiot.you

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 OR 10TH. WHO CARES ! DOES ANYONE HAVE MARTY S. EMAIL AD ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 18, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gre28man72 | August 18, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TampaBayareaRedskinsfan

OMG, we're increasing our number here on the other west coast!

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 18, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

from the last thread :

"If BMW can just lose another 120 lbs, I think we might just have our answer at the #2 receiver spot.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 18, 2009 12:19 PM"

WTF?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | August 18, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Redskins 2010 Draft

depending on where we finish my top three picks for our #1 selection are

1. Trent Williams OT
2. Jahvid Best RB
3. Brandon Spikes LB

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 18, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

What Zorn should do is tell everyone to come in hats and shorts and stand on the sidelines. If they can get enough guys suited for 11 on 11 then that's a bonus!
What a joke, the most nicked up team on the planet year after year.

Posted by: joeboggs | August 18, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey Truth, Dawgs are second best team in GA these days

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 18, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

FUmoron@idiot.you

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 OR 10TH. WHO CARES ! DOES ANYONE HAVE MARTY S. EMAIL AD ?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 18, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gre28man72 | August 18, 2009 4:55 PM

Now that you have let off alittle steam. I need to pose this question to you and other on this site.

DO YOU HAVE MARTY S. EMAIL ADD?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 18, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

noonefromtampa, the mere thought of Kevin Barnes makes Jahvid Best want to puke.

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Not that there's a strong connection, but Burl Toler III did come to camp here.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 18, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Brian Orakpo is fast. No seriously. He's fast. Lined up against Chris Samuels in 1 on 1 drills, Orakpo gave Samuels the "Jimmy Dolan Shakin' Bacon," blowing by the Pro Bowler.

Whats going on? Is Orakpo that fast or is Samuels Slow?

Posted by: abxinc | August 18, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Surprisingly, he has an agent:

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 5:12 PM

Everyone has an agent. Don't you? Mine is beantowngreg. I pay his fee in bonus points.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 18, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Whats going on? Is Orakpo that fast or is Samuels Slow?

Posted by: abxinc | August 18, 2009 5:17 PM

----------

Both.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 18, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I just booked Marty as a keynote speaker for an Amway meeting in Sterling. From there it's off to Ashburn to meet with Daniel. I can't wait for him to fire Vinny again!!!! Championship!

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | August 18, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

from the last thread :

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 18, 2009 12:19 PM"

WTF?

Posted by: TheTruth11 | August 18, 2009 5:01 PM
___

My comments about BMW playing WR were what we call on RI, a joke. Your lack of a sense of humor is why I, The New Truth, had to step in and replace you, The Old Truth.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 18, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Surprisingly, he has an agent:

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 5:12 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator
_______________________________

Yeah, but you're nobody unless you have an agent, a manager, a publicist, and a fluffer.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 18, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Surprisingly, he has an agent:

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 5:12 PM |

Please, Sween, I beg you, don't encourage FJZ by indulging his Schottenheimer dreams, even if done so in jest. I thought we were employing the whole "ignore him and maybe he'll go away" strategy, at least until school starts up again and he has to resume his studies in 7th grade.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 18, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

noonefromtampa

"You mah dawg,..."
Mike Vick, canine philosopher

Let's take this post into consideration:

Redskins 2010 Draft

Depending on where we finish my top three picks for our #1 selection are

1. Trent Williams OT
2. Jahvid Best RB
3. Brandon Spikes LB

We say CJ Spiller over Best, maybe to Williams, and no the Spikes even though we got lover for him (and Janoris Jenkins and Joe Haden).

But if we finish bad enough to get a top five pick, I'm singing 'Boomer Sooner' and putting Sam Bradford in burgandy n' gold.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Sigh. Beep Beep.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 18, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

TampaBayareaRedskinsfan

OMG, we're increasing our number here on the other west coast!

Posted by: noonefromtampa

------------------------------------------

You still got scampbell, he's from the panhandle, I believe.

And Moe holds down South Florida: from the Keys to the trees, come juggle deez...

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 18, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe
_______________________________

I gots to agree with this. If one (or more) of those 2010 QB's is the real thing, we should do what it takes to get him even if we're not top-5 pickers (i.e. a 1st & 2nd, or two 1st's), and get our OT via FA.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 18, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

beep beep

Posted by: dcsween | August 18, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

DO YOU HAVE MARTY S. EMAIL ADD?

Posted by: FIREJIMZORN | August 18, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

get a life dude

Posted by: BMACattack | August 18, 2009 7:43 PM | Report abuse

what ever happened to daughty, the great white hope. he seems the logical choice to back up free safety and strong. is he getting any reps

Posted by: Rvf0509 | August 18, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

"Afternoon Practice Update

Who the F is Rick Maese and what the F do I care what Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas are sporting?

OH, and in other news, Orakpo got taped to the goal post.

What a pathetic display of pseudo-tradition. How about build a tradition of winning first? I mean, before you get all fancy with your tradition of BS power games designed to portray the Redskins players as some sort of exclusive "Club" of children.

It's so unnecessary and distracting.
I'm about to start rooting for the Steelers to put a 46-0 on they butts so they might decide to stick to the task at hand.

Smoot at safety? It's a nice way to disguise a defense, nothing else.

Posted by: Thinker_ | August 19, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Thinker_ wrote:

"Rick Maese stepped into the pressroom to cool off during the afternoon practices and reports that Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas were sporting ballcaps and..."

----------

LOL... I had the same reaction to reading that section. Talk about stream-of-consciousness pointlessness, mucking up the blathersphere. Ugh.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | August 19, 2009 3:03 AM | Report abuse

What a joke, the most nicked up team on the planet year after year.

Posted by: joeboggs | August 18, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Haven't you been paying attention?? Why do you think all those expensive free agents want to come here?? The pay is good and the stars call the shots..who cares about winning?? isn't it all about getting paid and extending your career to these pampered athletes??

Posted by: scottmando | August 19, 2009 8:12 AM | Report abuse