This Year, Secondary Should Get a Better Jump

Some Redskins defensive backs in recent seasons have privately bemoaned the team's lack of a consistent pass rush.

Media and fan criticism about the secondary's relatively low interception totals irked some of its veteran members, who said it was difficult to jump routes when opposing quarterbacks could sit back in the pocket all day. Well, that shouldn't be a problem for the Redskins this season.

With the addition of defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth - widely considered the league's top defensive player last season - and impressive rookie defensive end/strong-side linebacker Brian Orakpo, the Skins expect to have a much improved pass rush. The increased pressure, in turn, should help the secondary be more aggressive in pursuit of the football.

Last season, the Skins were tied for 17th in the league with 13 interceptions. The Ravens led the league with 26.

Owner Daniel Snyder invested heavily on defense in an effort to improve the turnover total, and Skins corners should be able to jump routes more frequently than they have in, well, a long time. For the cornerbacks to help produce more turnovers, however, there's more to it than just having the help of a big-time pass rush and jumping routes.

"You have to be smart when you're thinking of jumping a route," cornerbacks coach Jerry Gray said. "Just because you think you've got some guys up front who can pass rush, you still have to play the right way. You've got to go through your progressions, too. You have to break and drive, use your eyes and play your leverage.

"If we don't do that, you might as well keep the DBs inside, just let us watch film and have Albert and the guys on the field by themselves. What it comes down to is that if you don't play great DB, they're going to be raining some bombs on you. A QB can take a five-step drop and throw a deep ball. That doesn't mean you're going to get there."

Of course, Gray would rather have Haynesworth in the lineup.

"The good thing about Albert is ... Albert is going to bring a double-team," Gray said. "So that's going to single Orakpo, that's going to single [Cornelius Griffin], that's going to single [Andre Carter]. That's going to single anybody else who's rushing. Now, you've got a chance to win one-on-one."

And the secondary should be able to take more chances as well.

...

I just finished a stint on "Washington Post Live With Ivan Carter," and being in the building jogged my memory.

Earlier today, I meant to give a shoutout to my friends at Comcast SportsNet about their new exclusive agreement to be the Skins' local high definition provider for preseason games. If you're like me, you only want to roll with high def, and that's what Comcast will provide in televising Thursday's preseason opener against the Ravens, the Aug. 22 game against the Steelers and the Sept. 3 game against the Jaguars.

Tenecia gets on me about taking up so much of our DVR space with long football games, but I like to repeatedly review certain plays in slow motion and break down every game to determine what questions to ask coaches and players. Without a doubt, the DVR will be set to Comcast on Thursday night.

By Jason Reid  |  August 10, 2009; 6:49 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zorn: Team's Health 'Not to My Liking'
Next: Blache Expected to Take Questions (Updated)

Comments

If more routes can be jumped because of an improved pass rush, then it's all good, and if you can get your hands on the ball and actually CATCH it(applies to everyone except DlHall)well then that's even better!

Posted by: 72Redskins | August 10, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

lots of balls hit Skins defenders in the hands last year. About 4 in the opener vs the jints.

Pressure helps a lot -- won't be easy for QBs to step into their throws with the middle of the line collapsing more often. And when they don't step into the throw, the ball tends to hang -- making it easier to get a pick.

Still, expecting Andre Carter to get pressure is like expecting the Spaghetti Gang to draft OL.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to the Mayor for jumping the route on this here blog.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | August 10, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Anthony002, I'm looking forward to seeing Colt play this preseason more than just about anything else. I don't like Campbells indecisiveness and slow motion delivery. He takes too long to decide what to do when things break down or nothings there: Should I run or should I throw it away, what should I do?

I don't think Colt wastes any time asking himself that question, and his delivery is quicker. Colt this is your time to shine.

Posted by: 72Redskins
___________________________

Second that.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 10, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Albert and his evil twin Brian should give our defensive backs a pro bowl year,also, another beneficiary of the intense pressure upfront should be Landry; depending on how
Greg use him, a blitzing safety is QB worst
nightmare.

Posted by: abxinc | August 10, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

OK, so:

[1] How many pick-6's did the Skins get last year, if any?
[2] Who was the top team in pick-6's, and how many did they get?
[3] How many do you think we'll get this season? I'll put $1,000 on 4.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 10, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

One of the reasons I picked Robert Henson (6th round LB pick) as a longshot (to start a game this year) is because he seemed to catch the ball well -- at least in this video clip. Looks almost DB like ... almost

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c3skUllW-U

and for some run stopping stuff

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

I noticed no one mentioned Butt Burgler yet in this post…First!

Posted by: OBXJim | August 10, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Theme from year to year...

could it be that our training staff, coaches, etc...just aren't up to par.

Posted by: carsonspence

Get a clue. All the coaches have done is give these nagging injuries rest in the pre-pre-season so people can perform when it counts. I may have some questions regarding training technique, but we're doing okay in relation to say, oh...the Eagles, yes? This is football, for Chrissakes. Sh!t happens, and worse sh!t has been happenin elsewhere.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Good to connect with a couple of you on Facebook; however, I will not be complete until I find The Truth. Where is that cheeky little monkey?

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 10, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Truth resides at the South Carolina School for the Normal in Butt Burgler, S.C.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 10, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 72Redskins
___________________________

Second that.

Posted by: chasgiffen

You're both very wrong.

I like Colt, and I may like Chase even better down the road. A long ways down the road. They both have the intangible of a winner. A raw winner.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

JC's overall game experience thus far is his biggest asset, especially in the context of a 2nd year in the same offense. Last year Zorn installed a new QB technique AND a new offensive system. This year #17 need worry only about his reads and his timing, albeit with some new receivers. This strikes me as year 2 of a 3 year plan with Zorn, Soup's contract notwithstanding.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Preseason game.....?

Is it me or did the preseason game (Bills v. Titans) look extremely well played....for a 'preseason game'?

Maybe they only need to play three preseason games and add two game to the regular season schedule: that's 18 games.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 10, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Nirav from a county I didn't recognize wants to talk Redskins: I am a big fan of the Beast and read your blog daily. Thanks for the great work. My question is when the G-men won the Super Bowl two years ago, their defense seemed to get turnovers and create a short field for Eli and Co. With the additions of Haynesworth and Orakpo (who is looking great in camp by the way) and re-signing Hall, plus Landry and Horton at the safties and old reliable London, do you think the Skins have a chance to have a defense that can create turnovers, and thus, a short field for Jason Campbell and the Skins' offense?

Mosley: Well, that's why Albert Haynesworth and Brian Orakpo are in Washington. And yes, I think the Redskins can go from a solid defense to a dangerous defense. Everyone at Redskins Park will tell me this week about last season's top-five overall ranking on defense. But that's an empty ranking. Quarterbacks didn't fear the Skins because they didn't have any true threats coming off the edge. And the lack of pressure made it tough on the secondary. With Orakpo and Haynesworth collapsing the pocket, Hall, Horton, Landry and Rogers can take more chances. So yes, I think an improved defense could help make this a -- wait for it -- Campbell-friendly offense.

Posted by: abxinc | August 10, 2009 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Truth resides at the South Carolina School for the Normal in Butt Burgler, S.C.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 10, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

"Gold Jerry..."

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 10, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

romo

"...If what you're advocating (starting over with a new QB) is true, then you have no room to criticize a front office that has started over numerous times these last several offseasons."

True.

Both Daniels and Brennan are in the mold of their head coach, Jim Zorn.

I bet between them there is a starting quarterback named Sam Brdaford waiting to start in '10.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 10, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Let's make a bet on how many dropped picks Carlos has, I'm going with 5 at a minimum.

Posted by: murphyz | August 10, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

romo

True.

Both Daniels and Brennan are in the mold of their head coach, Jim Zorn.

Posted by: MistaMoe
__________________________

And if you're right, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Snyderatto goes after Sam or one of the other top QB's in the next draft... there go our top draft picks which are sorely needed the O-line...

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 10, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Moe.

Let's say "Sam Brdaford" is available as the first quarterback taken next draft, and let's say he would be one of the first 5 picks; are you picking the skins to finish as one of the worst 5 teams this year, or are you saying we'd trade any amount of draft picks to get him?

Or are you asking: If the moon were made out of spare ribs, would I eat it?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: murphyz | August 10, 2009 8:27 PM

When you think about it, it was a waste to upgrade the pass rush. If Los had hung on to his dropped INTs, we might have had 27, best in the league. This year we'll still have 13 INTS, but Los will double his number of drops.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 10, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Moe, you know I bromance you....

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Anthony002, I'm looking forward to seeing Colt play this preseason... .

Posted by: 72Redskins
___________________________

Second that.

Posted by: chasgiffen

You're both very wrong.

Posted by: RomoLongballs
________________________

You're very, very, very wrong. I am, in fact, looking forward to seeing Colt play this preseason.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 10, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

The Skins made a HUGE mistake not signing Campbell. People continually overlook one major thing about Campbell. He played a brutal schedule. The top rated defenses were Pitt, Bal, jints, Skins and philly. 6/16 games were played against top 5 defenses. And dal was 8th in defense.

Versus that level of competition, Campbell did just fine. 4/6 picks came vs Bal and Pitts -- the OL was an absolute sieve in both of those games.

The top rated QB in the NFC East was romo, 8th in the league with a 91 rating. mcnabb and eli had 86 ratings, Campbell an 84. Not that big a spread -- because its hard to have great numbers against great defenses. Cutler had an 86 rating to Campbell, but never played a defense in the top 8!!

Campbell isn't a Pro Bowl caliber QB, but he's vastly underrated. If he succeeds in 2009 (with this huge ? that is the OL -- and to a lesser extent the WRs), he'll command big $$ -- probably elsewhere. If he fails, he's gone, no matter if he is the reason or not.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

...but not as much as Marty Schottenheimer . 980 reported ( I'm sure in redundance) that he patted Snyder on the butt during his introductory news conference in '02...

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chasgiffen

No, we agree. I look forward to seeing him play as well. In preseason.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

We very, very, very much agree.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

If the moon were made out of spare ribs I eat it, hell I'd have seconds and polish it off with a tall cool budweiser.

I think Los should find a way sneak the Fred Belitnikoff move with some stickum on the socks.

Posted by: murphyz | August 10, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: murphyz

hee hee! well done!

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

you know, all those guys. they were a great talent.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

He was famous for using liberal quantities of Stickum on his hands to improve his chances of catching a pass. He was the last player to play without wearing pads.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Will had some of the best SNL skits of all time. It's a shame he's making garbage dinosaur movies now.

Posted by: murphyz | August 10, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1
__________________________

Totally disagree. So far he's shown he's mediocre, or somewhat above average at best. If he breaks out this year, he'll be more expensive than he would've been a year ago, but who cares? Then he's worth it. But if he stays mediocre, we should go after someone else and not settle for medocrity.

And we should have a given a bit more to get Cutler.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 10, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

romo/chasgriffin

I've been checking out Mark Sanchez through reports in New York online sports pages, and guess what?: Dude looks like a player.

And if he, Sanchez, has a decent rookie season, the Wizards of Redskins Park will count J Flacco, M Ryan, and Sanchez on three fingers and impulsively decide to take a chance on a rookie quarterback.

Not Tebow, mind you, but Bradford or McCoy--probably.

Yes: offensive linemen should be the focus of next year's drafted players. That's what picks 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 are for.

But if Jason Campbell somehow fails--even through no fault of his own--you can imagine he's gone and the next new savior will be the 1st pick and dropped from the heliocopter at Redskins' Park.

Will they trade apick to move up to get a quarterback? Probably, given the way they've chased Cutler/Sanchez.

Learn "Boomer Sooner" while you can.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 10, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Learn "Boomer Sooner" while you can.

Posted by: MistaMoe

Ugh. I'm actually (reluctantly) giving Vinny props on his draft. I'm going with subterfuge regarding Sanchez, based on the seriousness of the Cutler trade. I actually think Orkpo happened because we made the Jets think we'd be crazy enough to draft Sanchez based on our market "needs". The Cutler stuff was ill advised, but Vinny made it work.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

And we should have a given a bit more to get Cutler.

Posted by: chasgiffen

I never understand this comment. Campbell has the same QB rating as Cutler, even though Cutler played a MASSIVELY easier schedule. Cutler lost plenty of games with the Broncos this past year with major mistakes (and got saved by a ref's blown call on another occasion). Cutler played behind a better OL and had better WRs.

If you want to tell me you want Cutler because he is more exciting, I can see that. But is he better based on what he's done on the field? NO!!!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Agree on all that Moe. And I think it's good to shoot for the stars if we think we might get a truly special QB. But we've also gotta get the Oline seriously upgraded next offseason, whether thru FA or draft or both. If Bradford or McCoy are graded to be "all that" by top experts (not just our FO), I say go after one of em aggressively and get the deal done. But we can also seriously upgrade the line at the same time.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 10, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MistaMoe

Reminds me of a quote -- though I can't recall its author:

"For a month in training camp, all the rookies hit and run like Willie Mays."

I have no idea if Sanchez will pan out, but the odds are roughly 50/50 that he makes it as a good QB in this league.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

zcezcest1

"...Campbell has the same QB rating as Cutler, even though Cutler played a MASSIVELY easier schedule..."

Agreed.

I say resign Campbell and give him the same talent level and attention on the o-line that exists on the defensive line.

But, like I've posted, the tendency with the skins' front office is to shout 'next!' and move on to the newest shiny quarterback object.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 10, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Also, T_E and Brownwood tell me what you think re: strategery,

I think Vinny is hedging. Drafting an OT wouldn't 100% produce a starting OL this year, so that's done.

Drafting Orakpo, should he start, plus #92 and Hall would give serious weight to the defense carrying the whole team SHOULD CAMPBELL JUST BE AVERAGE. If this projection is correct, we could potentially field a winning team, go to the playoffs but not necessarily go all the way (but maybe, fan in me hoping), and have an excuse to lowball campbell next year?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

The big money has to go somewhere. If we can agree that OL$ is less certain than DL$ this year, then what is QB$ worth next year? The alternative is starting over AGAIN with either new coach and/or new QB.

Is Vinny actually thinking ahead?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

I say let's have our spare moon ribs and eat them too... Build a top O-line and put a real talent at QB behind them. Campbell had a good rating because he was conservative and careful. He just doesn't have the pure talent, and his wind-up takes half an hour and gives the DB's extra time to get to the target.

Posted by: chasgiffen | August 10, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1
==================================

Yeah, it's not like he had 10 1/2 sacks two years ago for the Skins or anything!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | August 10, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chasgiffen

Clint said it in about 4 seconds, never mind the rest...

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chasgiffen

Cutler threw 12 more TDs and 12 more picks than Campbell. Equal numbers of picks and TDs isn't good.

Playing smart matters, even if its not exciting.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Live in DC...?

Are you old enough to remember the 'Golden Days' of Marion Barry?

Yeah, I know, Mr. Barry pawned the golden days and put the profit from the sale in his pipe, but there's a decent program on about him on HBO.

And if you get caught watching it, complain, "That b!tch Moe set me up....!!!!"

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 10, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Romolongballs--

I think Vinnie is a "best player available" guy. If one of the big three tackles had slipped to #13, he would have grabbed him. As it is, Orakpo slipped and Orakpo was too good to pass up. The more I hear about Orakpo in practice, the more I think he was right. But Vinnie wasn't going to take Oher at 13.

I also think that Vinnie realized he was taking a risk by not grabbing an OT in free agency, but thought he could beat the odds. He rolled the dice and, unless someone steps up, he lost and will either have to make a trade or hope that someone comes available in the cutdowns.

I also think that Vinnie has a longer time horizon than us bloggers. He's building a team that will be a contender in one, two more years. If it does well this year, that's gravy. But he can fix the OL and the QB position (and maybe the head coach) next year. I don't know how the uncapped year will play into that.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 10, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's not like he (Carter) had 10 1/2 sacks two years ago for the Skins or anything!!

Posted by: dkidwell61

I watched Carter a bunch last year. He was just getting handled way too easily, one on one.

Wish it wasn't the case, but it was.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2009 9:50 PM | Report abuse

It will be highly appropriate for the heathen Redskins to sign Sam Bradford next year, now that he has been cleansed

Signed Tebow

Posted by: ElYeah | August 10, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

I was fine with taking Orakpo. We need a pass rusher, plus we need both LB and DE help going forward.

Orakpo was the best player available at a position of need. Mind you, I wanted the Skins to trade up for Curry (the LB from Wake Forest) ... an elite defense can carry you a long way.

My problem is with the rest of the draft. Its clear OL was a problem -- really THE PROBLEM -- in 2008. At some point, you have to start drafting OL in droves.

To me, the OL is the most important unit on the team. Its what allows you to protect your QB so you can have a diversified passing game. It allows you to run. By moving the ball, it allows your defense more rest. And it allows you to protect leads in the 4th quarter when the other team knows you're going to run it.

The Ravens had an elite defense, and good OL, but very little talent at the skill positions. And they won. Including a 4th quarter 'suck the life out of you' drive against us -- because even though we knew the run was coming, we couldn't stop it.

Its why you invest in the OL. Strange that Vinny didn't even bother.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 10, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

zceszcest

"It's why you invest in the OL. Strange that Vinny didn't even bother."

Amen.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 10, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

True, his job wagon is NOT necessarily hitched to Zorn, or Campbell. I think I'm theorizing, along with you: That he'd like to build a winner within the next 1 to 3 years (or now) to prove his mettle. Is that really gonna happen if they have to start all over again next year? Start fresh? New coach, new QB? New coach, current-roster QB? New coach, draft QB? Would Blache really stay under such circumstances?

I'm not sure even a fire-proof VP Ops would do such a thing.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

I'm not sure that would be the case, though Vinnie claims this. I think he jerked the Jet's chain, and got very lucky to land Orkpo. He was downright giddy on 980 after the fact.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Someone pointed out that Spurrier and Gibbs were not run out of town, and Norv had loooooong outstayed his welcome, so of all the things Snidely has done, he hasn't been that short with the coach string besides Marty, who ironically is tied with Zorn for the best Skins coaches record since Gibbs I.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 10, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to think subtle, Vinny ain't. But it's entirely possible we're looking at year 2 out of 3.

What are next year draft projections of OL at 12-24 in the first round? I'm not a true NCAA fan.

And we'd only draft OL if Vinny has a 5 year plan, BTW. I think Campbell is here to stay if he doesn't lose too many games for us this year.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Would Blache really stay under such circumstances?

Posted by: RomoLongballs

If not, who would you rather coach up our younger-ish D? Who's out there?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Wish it wasn't the case, but it was.

Posted by: zcezcest1

How do you think it will go if 92 stays healthy in this rotation? As it is.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 10, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

If Heyer and Rinehart pan out as starters, we may have a decent o-line.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 10, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Okay Reid, way to state the obvious,now give me some morsels regarding our linebacker on passing downs Robert Thomas.He appears to be in the rotation at linebacker on opening day,so what's up with him?And Renaldo Wynn he's been quiet?Is he a factor?

Posted by: mark65 | August 10, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

"If Heyer and Rinehart pan out as starters, we may have a decent o-line.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 10, 2009"

And if Strasburg signs the Nats will win the world series. Its not a question of "decent" its more a question of "aged" and "fragile" in key positions. Heyer has started and he is about average pass blocking ... poor run blocking he can't get low enough. Rhinehart is the "butt burglar". Williams may need a year on the practice squad or on "injured reserve" to come up to speed.

It does not look good.

Posted by: periculum | August 11, 2009 12:20 AM | Report abuse

I endured years of sorry tight end play by the likes of Robert Royal,now it seems by all reports the skins are 4 deep at the position.Trade Fred Davis perhaps?No, because we need a good young Tackle.The only place you find those is in the draft.I just cant comprehend the Fred Davis pick or the Khalif Barnes or the Cody Glenn pick given the glaring need on the O-line.I'm beating a dead horse but still Vinny,Dan,those three trophies in the lobby or wherever,were won with dominant offensive line play.That was our identity,why are we abandoning it?Jon Runyan is about to rejoin the Eagles for reasonable money,why cant we pull a "Haynesworth" on Philly and sign him first?

Posted by: mark65 | August 11, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Wish it wasn't the case, but it was.

Posted by: zcezcest1

How do you think it will go if 92 stays healthy in this rotation? As it is.

Posted by: RomoLongballs

Not much direct help to Carter. They'll still have a tackle blocking him, one on one. And he just doesn't beat guys one on one very often. Still, when he does, there isn't much chance of an extra blocker being ready to chip him. Also on the upside, Carter doesn't give up during a play and so he makes a number of plays once they start to break down. No doubt, Albert will cause bunches of these breakdowns.

All in all, Albert will help Carter a bit. The guy that really gets a bunch of help from Albert will be Golston. When he's lined up next to Albert, Golston won't draw any extra attention. And even when Albert is off the field, I'm guessing the center of the oppositions OL will be more worn down.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 11, 2009 1:46 AM | Report abuse

A Shriver is dead. Who cares? My grandmothers death didn't make any difference.A Shriver dead is a blessing to this country.

Posted by: firemetalrat | August 11, 2009 7:05 AM | Report abuse

Rogers covers well but drops a lot of balls. Has a corner ever been benched for dropping balls but providing good coverage? To be a complete defensive back you have to be able to catch the interception, right? It has to kind of deflate the defensive line when they get a good pass rush, the ball is thrown errantly and then a defensive back drops it. I was always coached that the first objective of the defense is to take the ball away and score, so if your DB cannot handle that primary objective...

Then again, what do they do? Do they bench a guy who is a solid tackler, good at breaking up the pass and has enough football smarts to not be beaten by the numerous head games offensive coordinators play with defensive backs? Rogers is a dilemma for the coaches. He'd make their jobs much easier if he would just hold onto the ball a little more this season.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 11, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth draws doubleteams -- fine. So that leaves Carter, Griffin, etc, free to go one-on-one.

Question: when the hell did those guys ever beat anyone one-on-one?

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | August 11, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Please no more I want Colt or Sanchez!

If you know anything you must have a offensive line!

Some of yall sound like Pewee league parents.

Posted by: shamken | August 11, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Let`s see if Albert can get through a 16 game schedule. He has not the last couple of years..and in camp, he has had a knee issue already.
Having an improved pass rush..does not help Rodger`s BAD hands..or Smoot wasting energy talking instead of running..usually after the receiver that has just whipped his tush. Hall was so good..Oakland cut him while still paying him a lot of money.
then our "braintrust" just gave him more money???
The skins pass rush had better be outstanding..cause the offense won`t be scoring many TD`s.. and field goals are iffy.
BTW..I don`t recall hearing Landry`s name much last year..anyone else?

Posted by: blazerguy234 | August 11, 2009 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Remember how Colt looked in his only college game against A+ competition? When Georgia annihilated Hawaii and Brennan looked like a little kid playing against men?

Pipe dreamin to think he is some kind of savior or upgrade over JC.

Posted by: divi3 | August 11, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Hey, FireMetalRat or wtvr... In case you hadn't noticed, this is a Redskins blog, and even w/in those confines, we manage to find plenty about which to disagree.

I'm sure there are plenty of hate-filled neocon blogs where your drivel would be welcome - perhaps even one run by your hero Rush - when he's not too strung out on his "baby blues," the bloated whale...

p.s. sorry about your grandmother. Must've been rough on her dying whilst knowing the idiocy she helped unleash on the world.
---------------------------------------