Sonny: 'I Certainly Don't Have a Problem' With Zorn

Legendary Redskins quarterback and radio analyst Sonny Jurgensen dismissed growing speculation of a rift between him and Coach Jim Zorn, essentially saying Wednesday their recent seemingly chilly postgame exchanges were no big deal.

"I don't think he has a problem with me, and I certainly don't have a problem with him," Jurgensen said in an interview with Post columnist Sally Jenkins. "I like him, I get along with him, I enjoy talking football with him. He's a good man."

And a good coach? "Yes."

In the locker room after the opening loss to the New York Giants at Giants Stadium, Zorn gave terse answers to Jurgensen's questions about the Redskins' scoring only one touchdown on offense. And after the Week 2 victory over the St. Louis Rams at FedEx Field, Jurgensen criticized Zorn for that third-and-5 play midway through the third quarter in which he called for a halfback option pass from Clinton Portis to Chris Cooley.

The pass fell incomplete, and the Redskins settled for their third field goal. Jurgensen made it clear he didn't like the call, telling Zorn, "Third down, I'm the quarterback, and you call the halfback throwing the ball for me, I'm calling timeout or calling an audible. I'm not letting the halfback throw it. That's what you pay me for." To which Zorn replied: "Well then, I would have to take you out of the game."

Jurgensen and Zorn debate play-calling all the time very amiably, Jurgensen told Jenkins. Jurgensen thinks what Zorn is doing with the team is sound, and the Hall of Famer feels like this has been blown out of proportion.

"That particular, the play, that everybody made a big thing over for no reason, is that it was a third-down play and being down in there as a quarterback, you know the quarterback wants to throw it," Jurgensen said. "Jason talked to him when he went off the field about the same thing.

"Guys want to throw the ball. If it's a first-down call, it's great call, you know? You know, 'cause they think you're running. Third and goal? From the 7? Yeah, you know, I want to throw it."

By Jason Reid  |  September 23, 2009; 5:06 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alridge Has Something to Prove
Next: Campbell 'No Doubt' Will Start Despite Injured Ankle

Comments

Wow, something blown out of proportion regarding the Redskins.

I can't believe it.

Posted by: shaunsherman12 | September 23, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

So 4th, you're saying the '09 Redskins, can be like the '07 Giants.

And I caught the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, and santa clause in a threesome.

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 4:58 PM

I hope you took pics! They could be worth something!

This is the 2005 NYGiants IF we win @ Detriot. Everyone is picking Detriot to win like they picked us to win in Week 3 '05. We didn't, they did. Championship.

I mean it's too early to abandon ship. If CP26 is on Full Board why can't everyone else get with it? Cuz, you know he'd be the 1st to jump off if it starts sinking by blaming everyone else.

John? You feeling like ChrIs laRry?

Posted by: 4thFloor | September 23, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

As bad as we've looked on offense through two games we are in pretty good shape. We could easily be 2-0. Our d line and linebackers look amazing and if they can keep doing what they've been we've got a shot at a wildcard spot. Yes our offense is underperforming an I don't believe JC is the right QB for this team but we've got 14+ games left for CP and our D (minus the secondary) to keep the hope alive.

Posted by: murphyz | September 23, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Like Jurgensen is going to come out and say: Yeah, I have a problem with Jim Zorn. I hate him. I can't stand his a**. I think he sucks as a human being and totally blows as a head coach.

Oh and I also, told you all about Cedric Benson in the preseason. I think him and Chris Henry deserves BIG BIG shout outs.

So far, they're proving that once a d-bag. not always a d-bag. You can get clean.

cL, really don't know about a hockey goalie and what it takes for them to succeed, or a NFL QB for that matter, but I can imagine a goalie would have to have incredible hand-eye coordination and presence/sense.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

From the last thread:

edvar, whatever... lol... kinda got a dude with the meds/rage jab..

I think it takes less to make a dependable, serviceable, and consistent linemen then it takes to make a dependable, serviceable, and consistent QB.

QB might be the hardest job to learn in all of sports.

RI Challenge:

Name a position that is harder to learn/master in sports than a NFL quarterback?

Posted by: RedDMV

Posted by: RedDMV | September 23, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

RI Challenge:

Posted by: RedDMV

Danny's racquetball partner

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 23, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

YOU LIE!!!

Posted by: JohnnyRyde | September 23, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV
______________________

Curling sweeper.

Posted by: chasgiffen | September 23, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Is it true that Sonny applied to have his name legally changed to Legendary Redskins quarterback and radio analyst Sonny Jurgensen?

Posted by: LouLewis | September 23, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Sonny Jergensen is a jerk. When he actually asks a question, Zron answers. When he blurts out a condescending statement, it deserves terse responses.

Posted by: BMACattack | September 23, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Ball boy. Seriously, that's not a job I would wan....oh wait, I'm thinking of something else. Nevermind.

Posted by: will_ga | September 23, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

RI Challenge:

Posted by: RedDMV

Danny's racquetball partner

Posted by: zcezcest1 | September 23, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse
holding the camera for the 2 girls 1 cup video. torturous training

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | September 23, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Name a position that is harder to learn /master in sports than a NFL quarterback?

Posted by: RedDMV

Emitt Smith's editor for his memoir?

Posted by: will_ga | September 23, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

You talk about blown out of proportion,if the skins lose on Sunday all hell will break loose.I think the lions are ripe for a victory any given sunday but I hope not this sunday.They are more potent on offense than the skins,our defense must shut them down early and often because we simply can not score touchdowns period.

Posted by: mark65 | September 23, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

"Curling sweeper.

Posted by: chasgiffen"

Not true. I have done it. I mean I was winded, but I am crazy out of shape.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 23, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Our boy Nate in the PDX, also recently curled/or is about to. Nate can we get a review?

An RI beer and curling meet-up would be hysterical.

Posted by: chrislarry | September 23, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

shaunsherman12 wrote:

Wow, something blown out of proportion regarding the Redskins. I can't believe it.
----

lol. Welcome to the Post's 'Redskins Muckraker.' Short summary: sometimes journalists ask questions that make interviewees uncomfortable. Back to your regularly-scheduled programming.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | September 23, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Laron Landry will never be great.Anyone dumb enough to adopt a wild primate and therefore encourage that sort of blackmarket is an idiot.He is physically gifted and able to overcome his lack of cerebral development,but he will plateau this year and be above average for 2-3 years,then decline fast.If Vinny was drafting "best available" as he claims and not for need,then where is Adrian Peterson?Chris Horton has already proven to be a more valuable prospect long term than him.I still question the Fred Davis pick as well,Todd Yoder is a player and will never be utilized to his potential here.

Posted by: mark65 | September 23, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Will_ga, That Emitt comment is funny, I don't care who you are.

Posted by: skinsflorida | September 23, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

I think JZ scared every skins fan including myself. It was all over ESPN today. I mean top of the hour stuff right after the first commercial.
I think he is very disrespectful of Campbell. I think it is starting to stink in the locker room. Too many guys saying all the right things.
Guys are looking at each other and there is no trust in the locker room. WR have not been used. These are pros. Treat them like pros. Being a skins fan I want to see a game plan that is trying to win. Playing not to lose is good for tonk or i declare war but not redskin football.

Posted by: zariah | September 23, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I have heard enough about Zorn and Jergs, let's hear about why isn't Devin Thomas doing anything-is he still not running routes correctly... or why we can't stop the run as well as we should be, I thought we were supposed to be a great run stopping team now. Why aren't we pressuring the QB better. My biggest question year after year is this: why do the Redskin's Corners always play so far off the line of scrimmage. Please don't tear me apart, just give me some good info......

Posted by: shamusliam | September 23, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Up until that particular play, I wholehearted supported Zorn. Now... well, unless it failed because they executed it miserably, instead of just being a bad call... well, really either way, Zorn can count me among the doubters.

Gonna need some luck Sunday.

Posted by: johnvandermyde | September 23, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedDMV

Kanye Wests' style and grace teacher

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 23, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Kirstie Alleys' gym coach/dietician...

Jim Wilsons' style and grace teacher....

Joan Rivers' make-up artist...

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | September 23, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Sonny clearly made the point that Zorn has taken the Quarterback out of the game in the Red Zone. The Redskins need help in the offensive line and the receivers have not given the opponents' defense any serious problems. The defense is good but the secondary needs to play better. If the Redskins can score an average of two touchdowns per game they can hope to be 8-8. Let Jason play or "We want Sonny"!

Posted by: bishord1 | September 23, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Mark my words, if the Skins lose on Sunday. Washington, D.C. is the wrong place to be. The Lord will break the seventh seal. Billy Ocean will reappear and release a new #1 single (With Toto singing backup). Philip Michael Thomas will appear three weeks later on CBS with a new hit show, CSI-Boise.

Posted by: clark202 | September 23, 2009 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clark202 | September 23, 2009 9:41 PM

Clark, just wondering, are you saying a loss to the Lions is as unlikely as those scenarios, or that the angry universe will unleash a cataclysm of those proportions as a result?

Posted by: rfjh1 | September 23, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

wow, good job blowing something out of proportion WAPO

Posted by: destewar | September 23, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

it should say: the Redskins settled for their third {{and game winning}} field goal. Jurgensen made it clear he......

Posted by: pabrian2003 | September 23, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clark202 | September 23, 2009 9:41 PM

Posted by: rfjh1 | September 23, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse
==========================================
Just saying that will be the result if we lose to the Lions. If it happens, how much you wanna bet Blue Turf will be part of the plot line in every CSI-Boise show.

Posted by: clark202 | September 23, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

..."To which Zorn replied: "Well then, I would have to take you out of the game.""...Such is the sage-like wisdom of the Redskins' head coach - given a hypothetical scenario with a Hall of Fame quarterback - one of the best pure passers in the game's history - at the helm of his team inside the red zone - and, uh, he "would have to take him out of the game" for barking out an audible to avert a clearly failed call from the sidelines...speaks volumes for the Redskins' current situation, don't it?

Posted by: flyrodder911 | September 24, 2009 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Mark my words, the Skins WILL lose to the Lions. Jim Schwartz smells blood and they are going to pull all the stops to end their 18 or whatever game misery.

The Redskins' one dimensional offense has been badly exposed, there is nothing in the Zorn bag of tricks and the amount of time it take Portis to get the carry and hit a hole, I can eat a slice of pizza and take a dump...it was like slow-mo against the Rams - CP26 meet Shaun Alexander! Combination of over the hill prima donnas who are "untouchable"; draft busts like JC17 who keep on ticking like a Timex - ugly, predictable but remarkably "efficient" performance (honestly, JC17 should be a case-study in "dead yards" - meaningless garbage completions and scrap up yards that pad up his overall stats). Back to Zorn - he was to unveil "more" after the "limited" version last year - guess what? More is Less in this POS Playbook.

BET YOUR MORTGAGE ON THIS ONE. Lions to win straight up, no spread. Snyder to go ballisic a la the whole Norv Turner thing in Dallas many eons ago, end of Zorn, period. And, let me be the first to say, it might be a convincing loss - not a blowout but like a 28-13 type of thing.

The thing on my mind today is what the ABC execs will be wondering on Tuesday - who to replace Gruden with as Chucky comes to Washington next week!

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | September 24, 2009 12:59 AM | Report abuse

THIS IS WHY YOU NEED A "GM"!

We have the second coming of Spurrier!

Talk like he knows what's going on!
Oh by the way did Seattle win a Superbowl?

So Snyder why did you thank he'll make a good coach?

ONLY WAY TO STOP THE BLEEDING IS BY NOT ATTENDING.

ONLY WAY TO STOP THE BLEEDING IS BY NOT ATTENDING.

IF YOUR SO PRESS TO ATTEND A PRO FOOTBALL GAME GO TO PHI,PITT,NY NOT HERE!

HIT THAT POCKET SNYDER WILL COME AROUND.

700 DOLLARS GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

Posted by: SOLVBACK | September 24, 2009 5:43 AM | Report abuse

RI Challenge:

Posted by: RedDMV

Drunken Fan.
Its harder than it looks.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if peeps saw this video via the bog, but JZ and JC in the game.
Video will calm you down.

Posted by: alex35332 | September 24, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

Synder doesn't want skins to win. He wants controversy and interest so people will fill seats.

Posted by: anti1 | September 24, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Hey BMACattack, I have met Sonny on more than one occasion as he is far from a jerk. Besides, he was the best pure passer in the league, maybe of all time. HE ALSO CALLED ALL OF THE PLAYS! Zorn has show it doesn't take much to get him testy. He looked like a deer in headlights on the sideline last game. He has to go.
Fran Tarkenton said, if the Redskins had any kind of defense, they would have won a couple of Super Bowls with Sonny at QB. He as voted an all-star several times when only the players did the voting. Now let's look at Zorn's accomplishments at QB. That was quick.

Posted by: chopin224 | September 24, 2009 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Sonny Jurgenson asked the question all of us fans would have liked to ask and his criticism was well founded. Zorn didn't appreciate being called out and shot back "I would have to take you out of the game." Sure, if he had Jurgensen back there, in his prime (and maybe even today), he would be so fortunate that he would never take him out. And Sonny would be the one throwing the pass -- and completing it. Zorn is out of his league and he will be back to coaching quarterbacks before the season is over.

Posted by: scribebob | September 24, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I would like to associate myself with the comments from this gentleman scribebob. He is dead on. That is the 1st question I would have had as well. If Zorn goes to the HOF, he will have to buy a ticket to get in.

Posted by: chopin224 | September 24, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

What’s up with Sonny Jurgensen?
Sonny and Danny are biggest bestest buddies aren’t they?
I think Sonny is on Danny’s payroll.
I think this is why Sonny is being a jerk to Zorn.
This is probably what Danny paid him to do.
Sonny would have never done this to Gibbs.

Posted by: RalphZero | September 24, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

What’s up with Sonny Jurgensen?
Sonny and Danny are biggest bestest buddies aren’t they?
I think Sonny is on Danny’s payroll.
I think this is why Sonny is being a jerk to Zorn.
This is probably what Danny paid him to do.
Sonny would have never done this to Gibbs.

Posted by: RalphZero | September 24, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Do you notice that Sonny never calls out Snyder. I wonder why?

Posted by: RalphZero | September 24, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

All I know is if the Skins are in 3rd and goal this week.. Zorn should call the halfback option.. NO ONE would think Zorn would run that play again...

Posted by: sovine08 | September 24, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I think then next time they are 3 and goal at the one, Jason should lateral to a guard to run it in. They would never suspect that.

Posted by: chopin224 | September 24, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey RalphZero,
Sonny would not have had to ask Gibbs the question because Gibbs would have brought it up first and taken the blame for a bad call. But thanks for adhering to the truth in labeling laws Mr. Zero.

Posted by: chopin224 | September 24, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to honest, but cruel.

Sonny is treated like royalty for a QB who never accomplished that much in the NFL.

I don't have a problem with him, but career-wise, I'll bet Zorn had better numbers.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | September 24, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Show some guts and swagger, disregard an idiotic play and call your own -- and you're benched. Must be what Collins and Brennan did...

Posted by: kls1 | September 24, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse