Source doubts a Gibbs return

There's buzz at Pro Football Talk about the possibility of Joe Gibbs returning to the Redskins in advisory/consultant role -- but not as a head coach.

Gibbs had dinner with owner Daniel Snyder in Charlotte before the Redskins lost to the Carolina Panthers and any interaction between those two naturally would stir talk. A person close to Gibbs, however, recently told me that he seriously doubted that Gibbs would return to the Redskins in any role because of everything he has going on with his racing team and family. The person maintained that stance in a text message I received minutes ago.

Just in terms of the things I know about, Gibbs has NASCAR, his son Coy's motocross team, the Game Plan For Life ministry and his grandkids. I don't think that would leave a lot of time for helping Snyder hire a new general manager and a new coach. That is, if that's Snyder's intention.

Of course, things could always change. And Snyder has enough money to persuade people to reverse course. But it seems that Joe Jackson Gibbs is busy elsewhere at the moment.

By Jason Reid  |  October 22, 2009; 11:13 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Scenes from '4th and life'
Next: Gameday: The Eagles' zone blitz

Comments

I don't care what anyone says Gibbs is one of the few people that could finally get rid of Vinny and keep the circus freak Danny from meddling. This would be a great thing.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | October 22, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

The Gibbs era is unfortunately over. Even if he did come back he wouldn't have the incredibly hard working mentality he used to have. He's got too much going on. It's time to move on.

Hire a new GM, let him clean house.

Posted by: REXskins | October 22, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

WE all know it is too early to predict.

A denial now doesn't mean anything.

No NEws is No News....

Posted by: 4thFloor | October 22, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Vinny is like a fungus. You think the Lotrimin has worked, but he keeps coming back. We may need to amputate.

Posted by: ellinwoods | October 22, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Snyder hires Mel Kiper as GM? Unless Al Davis gets to him first.

Posted by: ellinwoods | October 22, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Best wishes Joe.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | October 22, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Until coach G says it himself the rumors will continue , So i think the post is trying to help Vinny out so they say a close family source said but give no name

Posted by: joevick | October 22, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Gibbs current team may not let him go, he's coaching his grandsons team. He's off this merry go round.

Posted by: clt_skins | October 22, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Would Gibbs recommend that Casserly return? I know he didn't get along so well with Beathard, but I thought he and Casserly were okay together.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | October 22, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Got beeped. From last post

moe, no thanks on Fisher...I either want Grimm/Gwilliams, or some young hand picked cat, that Gibbs approves of....also,disagree, Gibbs is exactly what this team needs...he's the person who can tell snyder to get bent, and snyder will listen..until that happens, NOTHING will change...
Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2009 11:13 AM

As much as I like Gibbs and think he'd be a huge improvement in the FO think he'd just be a short term fix and Snyder would revert to form afterwards. Plus I doubt he'd come back anyway. . I don't see GWilliams coming either after the way the coach search went last time. Fisher I'd take in a heartbeat. Snyder needs to realize that he's the problem, clean house, get GM recommendations from the league office, hire a GM, and get the hell out of his way. The league office knows who the up and comers at GM are. Or hell I've seen 5-10 recommendations between Wilbon and ESPN already.
I know it’s easier said than done regarding Snyder getting out of the way but if he doesn’t figure it out now he probably never will.
Posted by: skinswest | October 22, 2009 11:28 AM

Posted by: skinswest | October 22, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs is the only person who can ever lend credibility to this organization again. If he won't go near it, then the Redskins are officially junk.. and we should think about rooting for another franchise... a franchise that respects its fans, players and traditions.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 22, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs helped Dan Snyder select his coach in 2008. Dan Snyder elected not to hire Gregg Williams and instead began a protracted coaching search that was a lesson in absurdity.

The problem with this team cannot be cured by outside consultants. The problem with this team is Dan Snyder, and he needs to look at himself and understand the things about his passive-aggressive, insecure, contemptuous personality and borderline unethical business approach that are undermining the people he hires. The shiny objects he trots out in the interim (new coaches, new quarterbacks, $100M defensive tackles) distract us fans from the truth.

Fact: since lucking out in selling his telemarketing firm (Snyder Communications) and Internet pharmaceutical marketing firm (Circle Marketing) at the height of dotcom exuberance, Dan Snyder has not run a single successful business. You could argue that the revenue-generating Redskins are a "successful" business, but I would counter that in the NFL "success" is marked by wins and championships.

Posted by: PDiddy | October 22, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

poated by JReid

What person?..People don't talk to you..You can't hear them with that DOG-Hearing of yours...Hey JReid it was Harvey..you know that 2000yr old Dog you been quoting as a source...you must be the cousin of the Son of Sam...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 22, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 22, 2009 11:39 AM |

Sports if you want to go then go.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 22, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

A big thumbs down here for Grilliams. They were right not to hire him last year, albeit for the wrong reasons.

To me, he's another Norv Turner. Good coordinator, crappy HC.

Posted by: Original_etrod | October 22, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 22, 2009 11:39 AM |

Sports if you want to go then go.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 22, 2009 11:42 AM

Sorry Flounder21, I wouldn't listen to anything you, or your other co-workers at Redskins Park would suggest I do.

I am on to you, buddy.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 22, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

So.any of you guys going to the "night of great quarterbacks" at Union Jack's in Arlington on 11/3?

I hear tickets are limited to go and meet with Jurgenson, Theisman... and Campbell!

spurts-guru, should I put you down for a picture with JC?

Posted by: Redcoat | October 22, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Barry and Robin Gibb, maybe. Joe Gibbs, not a chance.

What we're seeing ia an ancient dance, as old as contracts. A rich guy hires a marginally qualified guy to do a job that more qualified folks don't seem to want. After a while he begins to suspect he made a mistake. But he can't admit he was an impulsive idiot to hire the guy in the first place, can he? Of course not. That violates the First Principle: A really rich man is never wrong. Especially when he's wrong.

So he has to somehow turn the whole thing around to make it seem like the 'mistake' guy was deliberately misleading him and should never have allowed himself to be hired in the first place. This involves going back and finding the various 'out' clauses the rich man's shyster lawyers put into the contract for exactly this contingency. So if Paragraph EE-4, Section 29, Line 394, contains a promise to win the Super Bowl within eighteen months -- OK, even a naif like Jim Zorn probably wouldn't sign that one, but you get the picture -- they quickly convene a 'meeting' in which they attempt to make the poor sucker (excuse me, professional coach) feel like he's personally at fault for the Great Depression and ought to resign without delay as a matter of conscience. And hope he's dumb enough to fall for it.

He wasn't.

This will cost the rich guy some dollars.

At least you can say it's richly deserved.

Posted by: Samson151 | October 22, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

There have been many that have said that this Team cannot win with Synder as the Owner.

They all believe that Synder is the problem.

I disagree with that onesided shortsided opinion.

The following repost is why.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 22, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 22, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Go for it. No one is stopping you. Just don't bother coming back if things ever get turned around.

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | October 22, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

My 2-cents, I follow NASCAR and J.D. Gibbs actually runs most of the racing operations. They don't have a driver with a shot to win the championship right now, and the season will be over in a few weeks. I also think Joe still carries some sort of ceremonial title and advisor position with the Redskins organization. To say Joe will not have input on any hiring decisions going forward is a bit naive. Is he going to have an office at the facility, No. But that doesn't mean he will not "return", he never left.

Posted by: LouLewis | October 22, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Sports Guru: your opinion is that Joe Gibbs is the only way the 'skins can be resurrected? Wasn't he just here a couple of years ago? How'd that work out? Didn't he sign off on the Zorn hire, the Duckett trade, the archuletta and lloyd acquisitions? C'mon, Joe Gibbs is not a football saint.

This organization simply needs a credible GM to take over, and for D. Snyder to cede control of all player personnel decisions.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | October 22, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

brown, so 6, or a half dozen...I don't get it??

isn't the end result the same??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2009 11:24 AM

Actually Greg, there's a BIG difference: telling Danny to go pound sand is what Marty did. That got him fired. What Gibbs would do (hopefully) would be to do/say something to make Danny feel like he's doing something while in all actuality he's doing nothing. That's the main difference between "get bent" and pacifying.

And when you have a guy with an ego bigger than FedEx Field, the latter approach is the only way to go.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I am on to you, buddy.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 22, 2009 11:45 AM |

You got me I work for the Skins what a tool you are.

You have been saying for the last two days you want to root for someone else, so I say don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 22, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

If Gibbs can convince Danny to simply fire Cerratto and bring in real competent football people (not necessarily himself), then that would be enough.

I belatedly read the article on John kent Cooke.

Good stuff. Keep the pressure mounting. It's gonna crack sooner or later.

Posted by: p1funk | October 22, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

spurts-guru, should I put you down for a picture with JC?

Posted by: Redcoat | October 22, 2009 11:45 AM

LOL! I was already contemplating my witty response to your post, and then I got to the end...

You beat me this day, fine sir!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 22, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

portispockets,

Lets have lunch today since we both work for the Skins.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 22, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Gibbs II didn't work because Joe has lost the competitive fire and the genius for football. He'd rather have a character guy at quarterback than a young guy with the arm to make plays. He'd rather delegate tough decisions to his "assistant head coaches" than be the bad guy himself. And he's never had a great eye for personnel. Gibbs III will be worse than Gibbs II.

Posted by: jksesq1 | October 22, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Redcoat, funny thing, here in Portland there is also a Union Jack's, but it's one of those places where ladies dance in various states of undress. Or so I am told.

Also, * beep beep *

new post

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 22, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

again brown, whats the difference, if Gibbs is here, snyder isn't going to meddle, he's not going to be involved in the day to day, so essentially you're harping on the expression 'get bent'....I'm confused??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

And Redcoat, thanks for the Fins franchise-rebuilding breakdown you posted.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | October 22, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

REPOST:

As much as this whole mess falls on Vinny Cerrato and Danny Snyder, I just cannot exclude Jim Zorn as an equal responsible part of this debaucle.

Yes, I know it all starts at the Top, but IMO once you blow the whistle for gametime, the Owner, The GM, and the HC have an equal share.

To me the whole domain of preparing the Team to play football is the domain of the Coach. The Offseason workouts, training Camp, Preseason, are HC AOR's that determine the Football shape of the Team.

The personnel packages, position choices, starters vs sub's are all HCing AOR's.

Playing hurt, not practicing, ecetera, all are HCing AOR's.

If the Owner and GM have input in these areas and/or meddles in these AOR's, then disagreements should be resolved fairly by the three of them.

Any HC that does not demand this for his Team is already headed for disaster.

Jim Zorn has not done a good job at the AOR's that he has chosen to put his stamp on, the Offensive side of the ball.

If it were true that VC and DS were a cancer and nothing good can come as long as they are in control, then it does not follow that our Defense keeps the Offense in every game we have played. Even with the bad individual play of some on the Defensive Team, our Defensive Team is actually playing Winning Football.

I know that sounds oxy-moronic, because we are not winning, but you can make a clear case that we are not winning because of just piss poor inept offensive play.

For sure VC should be replaced as GM, but for sure JZ should be replaced as HC. The Owner ain't going nowhere.

As the HC of the Team Jim Zorn has failed miserably and I can see clearly where his failure is due in large part to his own ineptitude.

Zorn is not working as the HC and I would not have given Greg Blache a choice to not accept the HC position when it was offered to him.

If Synder offered the job to Blauche and Blauche turned him down, then it was Synder's error for allowing him to do so.

Zorn took over a playoff Team least we forget and we have been spiraling down...6-2, 2-6, 2-4, get the picture.

Danny Synder has performed badly as owner, but Jim Zorn is not a Head Coach.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | October 22, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | October 22, 2009 11:47 AM

You make some very good points.

I guess I meant from a "class" standpoint, more than from a "good football decision making" standpoint.

See, I have a hard time thinking that Dan Snyder will change his tune after playing it for soooo many years.

I guess I am trying to say that Joe Gibbs has class, and if a classy guy like Gibbs turns his nose away from The Danny... maybe we all should.

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 22, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

For the record, I'll take Eric DeCosta of the Ravens. Comes from a solid organization, he's worked under one of the best GMs in the business, and he's from the area (used to work for the Redskins, if I'm not mistaken). Perfect...provided Danny stays the hell out of his way.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Even Gibbs part III is not going to save you scientology boy. You will always be a lucky POS in the majority of fans eyes.

Posted by: bhoang888 | October 22, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2009 11:51 AM

I don't get what you don't understand. One approach gets you fired. The other keeps the owner happy and the franchise moving along steady. You really can't see the difference?

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Gibbs did a fine job with the available talent. Don't knock "Gibbs II."

That said, I don't think he is a personnel guy at all. Love him as a coach, but he made mistakes after Beathard left. He's the one who pushed trade up for Desmond Howard. He had some hand in the decision to move up for Campbell.

What we need is a true GM who chooses his own coach and builds through the draft with personnel to suit the scheme.

We will all see it coming a mile away if Snyder comes up with another BS solution. Choosing a scheme before you have a coach? Choosing coordinators before you have a coach?

I'm afraid no talented person will want to work here - even if Snyder changes his ways - because of the reputation.

Posted by: ellinwoods | October 22, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

You got me I work for the Skins what a tool you are.

Posted by: Flounder21 | October 22, 2009 11:48 AM

I have been trying to find a reason as to why I should continue my loyalty to Dan Snyder's Football Club.

I don't "want" to root for someone else. I "want" to root for a franchise that mirrors the tradition of the Jack Kent Cooke franchise that we all grew to love.

The only thing that Dan Snyder's Football Club has in common with the team I grew up loving, is the name "Redskins".

Posted by: Sports_Guru | October 22, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jksesq1 | October 22, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Screw you and anyone else taking a crap on Gibbs.

Gibbs 1.0 - Had a great owner who knew how to be involved w/out meddling and endear the fanbase to the team. Had a great personnel guy in bobby Beathard.

Gibbs 2.0 - Had to work with Cerrato and Snyder.

When Gibbs was involved in this organization the Skins went to the playoffs in 2 out of the 4 years he was here.

Considering he was able to do that AND work on the side to contain the Snerrato Virus from running amouk over Redskins Park, the man's second stint here is arguably more impressive than his first.

Posted by: p1funk | October 22, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Guys - As bleak as things are there is reason to be optimistic here if we are to believe the noise about Cerrato leaving is true. As painful as it is we need this team to keep losing right now and lose badly - it's the only way to guarantee full scale change.
It's a damn shame this way this front office has treated Zorn, not that Zorn isn't without blame. Very bad play calling and decision making but he was never given what he needed (remember how we played against good teams last year, 4-1 against playoff level teams?? Remember the key? Health on the OL and a solid running game showed Campbell is adequate). We need to have the OL return to solid status - doesn't have to be the Hogs again but quality and depth are needed and Cerrato/Snyder have proven over 10 years they have ZERO interest in this.
Headlines and splash are what they want and we've seen what it gets us - crappy football.
We'll get a new coach and GM; i think the owner finally realizes that......he'll never own up to being the reason the Skins have slipped from the elite but maybe, just maybe he'll get it right this time??

Posted by: DEskinzfan | October 22, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Forget about GIBBS he's way past his time and no energy for football.

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 22, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs is not the solution... He was calling the shots when he was coach & we were still mediocre... Yes we all love him, but it's time to move on. We need a younger GM that will be here for the long haul & Dan Snyder is going to have to show some patience for a change & get out of the way.

Next year could be the most important year in FRANCHISE HISTORY... Dan Snyder I hope understands that status quo is not going to put fans in the seats... I truly believe if a drastic change doesn't come... We will have the first Redskins blackout in the team's long history.

We need a GM to come in & immediately show the players who the boss is... Make Clinton Portis a casualty of war, cut him to show that no player is untouchable (This worked for Daniels in Denver) ... Then immediately rebuild the offensive line with FA & draft. Using the uncapped year to our advantage, he should get rid of any bad contracts (Betts, Portis, Thomas, Samuels who will retire, etc etc).

If we keep status quo & Dan just goes out & throws a bunch of money at FA's without restoring discipline to the organization from the top down then they are going to have a lot of empty seats come September 2010. I have been to every Redskins game the last 3 years & finally this past week, I decided I wasn't going anymore until Vinnie Cerrato is no longer the GM... I couldn't even give my Chiefs tickets away... what do you think will happen in March when ticket renewals start to become due?

Posted by: tony325 | October 22, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs counsel would be most welcome as it might relate to the hiring of an elite NFL general manager.

If "Mr. Daniel Snyder" (AKA Asshat) were to do anything else with the team without having hired said individual, then it is just more of the same trash.

I'm sorry, I forgot.

First, FIRE VINNY NOW!!!!

Posted by: AWWNats | October 22, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs' talent evaluation skills aside...I don't think we need him to come back for that...He'll be here to Chill Danny out..Just advised him on how to run and organize the Team..Basically replaced Cerrato as the TOP adviser to Synder..Bring in a young Maverick GM who know football and be a buffer between to Strong personalities..The GM handles the Coach and the Players..Synder handles the Checks and the and Gibbs handles Synder...Perfect

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 22, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

brown, what part of Gibbs has the cache to do this isn't clear??

marty didn't have this cache which is why he got canned.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"if Paragraph EE-4, Section 29, Line 394"

Posted by Samson 151

Hey Sam that's my seat number!

Posted by: ElYeah | October 22, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Brown and Beantown..come on fellows I think you both agree one just has to say it...

Posted by: jcnjcnj | October 22, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Gibbs will do this, but it might be the ONLY way Snyder can appease the fans at this point.

And I'd love to see JJG separate this cretin from a few more tens of millions of dollars

I think the owner is scared s---less that once he lets Vinny go and the team continues to blow chunks, there'll no longer be any doubt wherein lies the problem with this team. As if there's much doubt right now.

Posted by: thediesel | October 22, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

brown, what part of Gibbs has the cache to do this isn't clear??

marty didn't have this cache which is why he got canned.

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | October 22, 2009 12:12 PM

Marty is one of the winningest coaches in the league. People forget that because he didn't do well in the playoffs, but he was a winner. I understand that he didn't do that here and Danny was quick to cut him loose.

But Danny fired Casserly. He was the GM here for at least one Super Bowl. He basically ran Charlie Mitchell out of here screaming. I'll grant you that none of them have the same reverence that Gibbs gets, but I wouldn't just assume that Danny will co-sign on whatever Gibbs is doing.

I'll leave you with this: I'd be willing to bet that if Gibbs did it your way and smacked his hand once too many as Danny reaches into the cookie jar that is player personnel, he'd find a sly way to move him out of here. I wouldn't put it past a guy who has taken this team far away from the rich heritage that he supposedly rooted for.

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Oops, I meant Bobby Mitchell

Posted by: brownwood26 | October 22, 2009 12:27 PM | Report abuse

The Skins should hire Joe Biden as team president. He's the smartest guy in the world, just ask him.

Posted by: c_e_daniel | October 22, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Joe Gibbs is a HOF coach, but what has he done to indicate that he can identify talent?

Posted by: stephenaltobelli | October 22, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

at some point Danny needs to ask himself " Do I want to own a good football team or do I want to be involved and have control of a crappy football team?"

Posted by: scottmando | October 22, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Ummm well how about the Edward Bennett Williams and Jack Kent Cooke model? Williams was one very busy lawyer who also served as managing partner / minority owner for the Redskins up to the end of the George Allen era after Cooke decided to up and move from LA to Middleburg.

Gibbs as president AND stake holder minority owner ... now his family is completely involved. I think this could all be managed? Move Joe Gibbs racing to Maryland or Virginia. Heck used to have NASCAR in Hanover, MD, for example. Maybe its time it came back? And they have to haul their cars around the country anyway. More than George Allen Joe Gibbs IS the Washington Redskins. I believe this to be the only model that will work for this team. Most especially since, unlike Parcells in Miami, Gibbs actually cares.

Posted by: periculum | October 22, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: stephenaltobelli

Ummm, okay let's assume you are right and he isn't the best, probably not the worst either? Okay WHAT HE IS REALLY GOOD AT is taking the talent that he and others have assembled and building a FIFTY THREE MAN TEAM. Which is really what you want.

Posted by: periculum | October 22, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I doubt this will happen, I hope not.
I have no confidence Gibbs would keep Danny out of the mix. He was helpless during all the Lavar fueding and we still don't know who really pushed for Brandon LLoyd and Archuletta. Im just not sure Joe can pick ABOVE AVERAGE talent, he might be good as team chaplin.

Posted by: millineumman | October 22, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs was president, not GM for this team. That title clearly was held by Daniel M. Snyder. He wasn't about to go back to Marty-ball. And so you had two lean years and two playoff years. Gibbs may not be good at evaluating talent as you would like, but Snyder is by far much, much worst. I sincerely doubt that he wanted Brandon Lloyd, ever!

You need a president who can help that young up and coming GM, and coach. The role Parcells serves in Miami. Its the perfect model for this team, even more than Miami, if you bother to think about it. However, Snyder does need to get out of the way.

Posted by: periculum | October 22, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I have no confidence Gibbs would keep Danny out of the mix.

Solution: contract in hand, with a good chunk of minority ownership. Snyder gets over-ruled.

Posted by: periculum | October 22, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Stop with this Joe Gibbs nonsense. He was here for four years and nothing changed vis a vis the Redskins front office.

You really think Gibbs has the cache to get rid of that cumslurping queen Cerrato? Didn't he have four years to make sure Vinny "I can drop to all fours in 4.4 seconds" Cerrato wasn't allowed within 100 miles of Redskins Park? How did that work out.

Forget Joe Gibbs. This will not change until $nyder is hit in the wallet and that means not going to the games, selling your tickets to opposing team's fans, etc.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | October 22, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I think Gibbs lost enough luster off of his legacy when he grabbed Danny's money and ran the last time. Why he even associates with Danny is beyond me and probably everyone else in pro football.

Posted by: Riddler1 | October 22, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

The answer to our prayers is near.

Coy Gibbs to the rescue!

Posted by: jaguar2490 | October 22, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

The very one thing people are forgetting is this. We didn't hear all this nonsense when Gibbs was in the house. He was the point man for the organization , good or bad and was the single voice. That into itself would make his hiring again just what we need. Gibbs would make the football decisions to hire a gm and tkae the hitsfor danny, that would be his role and i would accept that. Anything/anybody running this franchise other then Cerato will be a significant upgrade. Welcome Gibbs back people, he is probrably the only man on earth that Danny boy trusts enough to make the hard front office decisions. he won't be picking players, he will be the point man for the new GM and able to keep the owner out of his business... That's good enough for me!!

Posted by: klangley69 | October 22, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Take off your burgandy colored glasses

Posted by: Riddler1 | October 22, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

maybe it was leroy jethro gibbs from ncis in anacostia that snyder was talking to!!

Posted by: astroman215aolcom | October 22, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs got what he was after; funding for his Nascar venture, whether we want to believe it or not that's why he came back his nascar team was strapped for cash and Danny was the pigeon,think about it Gibbs2 was a joke one playoff team in what four years and that run was fueled by the tragic death of Sean Taylor, with all due respect Gibbs2 was a shadow of the old Joe Gibbs his heart really wasn't in it and if you think he's comming back now well.... i got this piece of property in New Orleans it's a little damp but with a little sun.............. LMAO!

Posted by: dargregmag | October 22, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

It's ovious to me that the Washington Post is so out to make Snyder look bad that their reports will tilt any story to land on Snyder. In the Largent story, they bury the Zorn quote that he did not speak to Largent. I lived in Oklahoma when Largent was our Senator, he may have been a great football player, but not to be trusted. As far as the Post's hell bent attacks on the Skins and on Snyder, I can live without the Washington Post; the NY Times has better writers anyway. Cancel my subscription please.

Posted by: nomolehill | October 22, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs was a Snyder enabler in his last go around. The Skins don't need that. They need a guy to stand up to Snyder.

Posted by: astrober1 | October 22, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

There is a term for all of this Joe Gibbs is coming back talk. DRFT Syndrome, Delusional Redskin Fan Thinking Syndrome.

Joe Gibbs is a legend, no doubt about it and at this point, he is probably the only one who's ear Dan Snyder can get. I hope this move does not happen, you can't return to the past to move forward. Best of luck to Coach Joe, but please do not come back.

Posted by: Davo61 | October 22, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

To all you fair-weather fans who are thinking of 'jumping ship' because of what you don't like about the team (Snyderatto, Zorn, O-Line, etc.)....stop calling yourselves FANS. I don't like what's going on any more than you do (although I like Zorn). Being a FAN is not about liking the owner, or approving of the signings or the front office or the coaching staff, or even the performance of the team. Being a FAN is just loving the team because they're YOUR team. You were born here or were raised here or have a strong connection to team history...that's why you love the team. I will love this team until I die...I won't always love what the team does. Being a FAN is about commitment, through the good AND the bad, just like in marriage (yeah...you heard me). Fair-weather fans are like spouses willing to cheat on each other because of a disagreement.... I'm not committed to this team because they win (which they're not doing). I'm committed to this team BECAUSE THEY'RE MY TEAM.

Posted by: pig_skins | October 22, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Come back for WHAT?

Gibbs tried to resurrect this franchise; it cannot be done with the Danny and Vinny Bug-eyes in power. Cannot, Will not, Won't not, nada, no chance, no way, no how.

The Danny's bad karma soils everything it touches...

Posted by: kahlua87 | October 22, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

You know how much better of an organizational manager Joe Gibbs is than Snyderratto?

Gibbs was the one who traded up to get Chris Cooley...IN THE THIRD ROUND in 2004. This guy knows talent and future contributors when he sees them. Joe Gibbs could form a better team using later round draft picks than Snyderratto could if they were exclusively given the first two rounds.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | October 22, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Sheehan was trying to sell this Joe gibbs rumor BIGTIME on sportstalk 980, Im glad Thom Loverro is there to try to bring him back to earth ( It wasn't working, Sheehan wouldn't hear of it, I wonder if Sheehan and Larry Michael share the same brain? )

Posted by: Davo61 | October 22, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Kevin Sheehan was trying to sell this Joe Gibbs rumor BIGTIME on sportstalk 980, Im glad Thom Loverro is there to try to bring him back to earth ( It wasn't working, Sheehan wouldn't hear of it, I wonder if Sheehan and Larry Michael share the same brain? )

Posted by: Davo61 | October 22, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs was a terrific HOF NFL coach, but was NEVER EVER a talent evaluator. (see Jason Campbell). That's what made Bobby Beathard leave when he did, because Gibbs wanted more say in talent selection. What makes ANYONE think Gibbs could recommend ANYONE who would be good and wants the job of Redskins GM, who would then collectively select a new head coach. Then let THAT head coach, with the new G.M., select a coaching staff and players.

Sorta like the Dolphins model with Bill Parcells.

Posted by: Bigrcube | October 22, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Davo61 your spot on. This is exactly what I have been thinking for the past 16 years. For the life of me I never understood the media obsession with feeding the beast. Sheehan, Polli, Michael, they are all part of DRFT and then when fantasy becomes reality everyone goes crazy. Folks its been on and off bad since 1993, you just haven't paid attention because 8-8 and 9-7's are enough to keep you coming back.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | October 22, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Leave Joe alone. He's not coming back. He's already played that game. He came back. He did nothing but trade away picks for "proven" free agents who didn't do squat, and the Redskins leadership certainly didn't help him put the Skins on any good long-term footing.

Let the man race his cars and see to his family. He's done.

Posted by: Meepo | October 22, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe Snyder hires Mel Kiper as GM?"

I've actually heard Cerrato ask Kiper if such and such college team had good draft prospects on his "Inside the Red Zone" radio show. This is a rather ironic occurance on Vinnie's rather ironically titled show.

Posted by: jack_mo_99 | October 22, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Dinosaur Joe, a good guy and certainly an honorable guy to diffuse overpaid/ underperforming stiffs from getting too full of themselves.....but i think he has played himself out football wise.....

Need an outsider to come here and get rid of Vinnie completely for starters...and then start offering some GM recommendations and then he and GM work on a coach (if not the same guy).

Posted by: FletcherChristian1 | October 22, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Gibbs is a legend BUT forget about him...he sucks at picking QB's. We need a real GM!!!!! That's why we had Beathard back then so GIBB's coulden't screw it up. GIBBS AND BEATHARD WERE LIKE OIL AND WATER!!! Shuler....JC...WTF!!!! Get the best GM and let him run the show! SNYDER PLEASE!!

Posted by: LongTimeSkinsFan | October 22, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, Joe has learned that Snyder is not a man of character and would steer clear of him. If I were Joe Gibbs, the only way I'd get involved in the Redskins would be as part of a group to buy out Snyder. Dan Snyder needs to go. Joe Gibbs as owner would be cool with me.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | October 22, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse