Success has Orakpo competing with a friend

Rookie defensive end/strong-side linebacker Brian Orakpo is having an outstanding season, so it wasn't surprising Orakpo was named the NFC defensive player of the week after his four-sack performance in the Redskins' 34-13 victory over the Oakland Raiders.
Orakpo definitely is among the leading contenders for the league's defensive rookie of the year award, which will put him in competition with his friend, Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing. Orakpo played at the University of Texas and Cushing played at the University of Southern California.

They got to know each other while being in many groups together leading to last season's draft. "Just throughout the processes and awards," Orakpo said. "Combine stuff and we went with the same agency. We became real good friends."

In addition to his four sacks against the Raiders, Orakpo was credited with six tackles, three tackles for a loss and a forced fumble. His four sacks produced 44 yards in losses - the highest single-game total by one player since the statistic began being tracked in 1994. Orakpo and defensive end Andre Carter are tied for the team lead with 11 sacks.

Cushing has been credited with 112 tackles, including 70 unassisted, and has 2 ½ sacks and three interceptions. "We all know what each other's doing," Orakpo said. "Throughout the draft, you kind of build relationships with everybody.

"You kind of know who guys are and just that type of camaraderie that you have. This has been a tremendous rookie class. A lot of guys are really contributing to their teams. Now, that I look at it, you really don't have a class like we have with so many guys being a main part of their team."

By Jason Reid  |  December 16, 2009; 2:56 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cartwright: 'It seems like I'm in the doghouse'
Next: Haynesworth, Hall, Sellers still 'up in the air'

Comments

I'm happily riding shotgun on Moe's Spiller bandwagon.

But only if Okung is gone.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 16, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"Like I keep saying, it is what it is. I'm playing for the Lord. That's how I look at it."

That's a new one....This is the first I heard of him playing for the Lord. Then why was he holding out for more $$$ last year?

Should we start calling him Paul?

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 16, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

F'em all. Losers.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 16, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Should we start calling him Paul?

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 16, 2009 3:15 PM

-----------------------

The Lord seems to have gotten good odds on the Saints before the season started.

Posted by: js_edit | December 16, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Would you guys trade MK12 if you could get a 3rd rounder for him?

Posted by: shanteefamilee | December 16, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

cl, good to see you, hows the no longer a baby baby, turned 2 recently, no??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm happily riding shotgun on Moe's Spiller bandwagon.

But only if Okung is gone.

Posted by: Rypien11 | December 16, 2009 3:11 PM

I'm not there yet. With FA RB like Sprools or Leon Washington, and with other rookie RB like Noel Divine, I'm still leaning towards using the 1st round pick at another position. If the top linemen are gone, I'm leaning towards FS or CB. Speaking of rookie FS prospect, anyone have insight on Earl Thomas out of Texas?

Posted by: TWISI | December 16, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

shantee, turn a 2nd rounder into a third rounder?? really??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Beanie, what's he done so far?

Posted by: shanteefamilee | December 16, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Beanie, what's he done so far?

Posted by: shanteefamilee | December 16, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

shantee, turn a 2nd rounder into a third rounder?? really??

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Yeah too early to get rid of him. I'd actually rather us look to see what we could get rid of ARE, and let MK12, DT, Moss and Marko get all the reps. It'll help their progression even more to have Davis and Cooley back playing together, IMO...

Posted by: mattylight | December 16, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

considering that last year was lost to injury, and they're just now starting to have any type of offense, how about if we see what he can do, before dumping him....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm not on the Spiller bandwagon unless he's there in Rd. 2. You guys are falling into the same trap our stupid front office has for years. Just because you can't get the ELITE LT you wish you could, you get the best player available instead.

The end result, a depleted line and no young talent. If you go Spiller in rd. 1 that's exactly what you'll have next year AGAIN.

Sometimes, it's OK to reach from spot 8 down to spot 30, because spot 30 wont be around at spot 40. Sometimes you address the NEED. This is one of those times. This time, we need O-line even if it means reaching.

Posted by: REXskins | December 16, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Bean, just turned 1. Alls good thanks!

I simply find it very hard to care about the current state of Redskins nation, which lessens my RI addiction. Thats why I haven't been around much.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 16, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Beanie, what's he done so far?

Posted by: shanteefamilee | December 16, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------

Displayed more potential than most green 3rd rounders...

Posted by: mattsoundworld | December 16, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Here is what you could get for ARE: a sweaty jockstrap and and a half can of AXE body spray.

Posted by: chrislarry | December 16, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I'd only flip MK12 for a 2nd Rounder.

And Coooley for a 2nd rounder as well.

I see one of them being gone, potentially, this off season.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | December 16, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

cl good to hear about the baby....

yeah, its definetly a depressing year no doubt...

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | December 16, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking maybe they could go O-line in the 3rd but if memory serves me they did that a couple of years ago. that hasn't been good.

Posted by: shanteefamilee | December 16, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: chrislarry | December 16, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

haha -- yeah I botched that sentence, I meant to say I'd rather get rid of him and let the aforementioned WR's get all the reps. And I disagree on what we could get for him. The half-full can of AXE is too generous, we could probably only get an empty...

Posted by: mattylight | December 16, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Now Fantasy Football...that brings out the passion! 3 leagues 3 playoffs baby!

4th and I's fantasy showdown has been all it was advertised as...with me 2-0 and both teams revving in playoffs. We combined for over 270 points last week! If Santa is real 4th and I are playing for the Hamster Championship.

BOOK IT!

Posted by: chrislarry | December 16, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

that's gonna be tomorrow's topic for me, then... XMas presents for the team.

Posted by: DikShuttle | December 16, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

beeps

Posted by: PortisPocketsStr8 | December 16, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"I'm happily riding shotgun on Moe's Spiller bandwagon. But only if Okung is gone."

Remember: if you take Spiller in round 1, you MUST take a line in round 2.

Then, in '11, you take another lineman with a top 3 pick.

I call it the commomsense way of rebuilding the backfield and o-line all at the same time.

Posted by: MistaMoe | December 16, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Would you guys trade MK12 if you could get a 3rd rounder for him?

Hell no. He is a 1st rounder who fell to the second because of his knee. Next year, he will start at WR with DT while 'Tana moves to the slot and permanent PR.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | December 16, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Would you guys trade MK12 if you could get a 3rd rounder for him?

Posted by: shanteefamilee

And quickly before the men in the white coats took him away.

Posted by: TheCork | December 16, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'd trade Kelly for a 3rd round pick. The guy simply doesn't produce. He is a younger James Thrash - good for 20 catches a year maybe a touchdown or two.

Posted by: coparker5 | December 16, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse