Suisham Faces Challenge from Rayner

One of the more interesting position battles that begin with the preseason opener in Baltimore should be between kickers Shaun Suisham and Dave Rayner.

Suisham will handle kickoffs and field goals in the first half and Rayner is scheduled to take over after halftime, special teams coach Danny Smith said.

"I don't know if there's a best way" to handle two kickers in a competition, Smith said. "Right now, I'm looking for the fairest way."

The plan could change after the opener, Smith said. Depending on the effectiveness of each kicker and other factors, the Redskins might adjust how they handle the competition for the remainder of the preseason.

Washington brought in Rayner to challenge Suisham, the team's place kicker the last two seasons, after Suisham struggled in 2008. His field-goal percentage dropped from 82.9 percent in 2007 to 72.2 percent last season, and Suisham rarely provided the distance on kickoffs Smith would have preferred.

"It's going to be competitive and I want it to be fair," Smith said. "I want it to be as fair as we can make it."

By Jason Reid  |  August 12, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Position Battles Set to Officially Begin
Next: Alexander Waits for Role on Offense

Comments

The Skins definitely don't have that amount of cap space next year. So, sure they COULD tag Campbell, but if he signs it, the Skins will have to get rid of some expensive contracts. I mean, veterans.

Posted by: Section104 | August 12, 2009 10:25 AM

We have no salary cap right now for next year.

And if it comes back the year after, I predict a softer cap that heavily taxes team that spend over the cap. Possibly higher than the $ for $ tax the NBA does. I see a $1.5 tax to every $1 spent.....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I really wish they could have brought in some higher caliber competition for Suisham. They're not exactly setting the bar that high for him.

Either way, it's not the preseason you have to worry about with him, it's the end of the year, when his leg is dead.

Posted by: McMetal | August 12, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

As I've said here before - shoot, we've got Dave Rayner - fire up the bandwagon, and polish the trophy case - we're goin' to the Super Bowl.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 12, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

DHall talking to cowturd, re: JC17. DHall sticking wit Campbell and relates it to his ATL situation.

"DHall: They wanted to trade me out of atlanta, and I said good, I want to leave to.
"

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

brown, then you don't use the franchise(2 firsts), you use the tag 1step back from that, can't recall the name of it. right now. All I'm trying to say is that if he blows up this year, the Redskins hold the cards one way, or another. If he has a huge year, then trade him, or keep him, the Team is in the drivers seat.

I'm not sure how you can be 100 percent sure of something that has yet to happen??

Again, wish I was here when they gave out crystal balls.....dangit....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 10:45 AM

Dude, this offseason was a long, drawn out reminder of how little the Redskins value their own draft picks. The same dude they were so high on they traded multiple picks to Denver to get another 1st rounder in order to take Campbell was all but ushered out of town prematurely. They tried to replace him, tried to trade him and only when they were "stuck with him" did they try and smooth things over. They have no interest in bringing him back, period.

The only way I see Campbell back is if he goes for at least 3,500 yards and 30 tds. I can't see him having that year with the cast of characters he's got to work with.

So again...no crystal ball, just a gut feeling.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Okay, so if the OL craps out and the team tanks, Z is going to take the fall for a OL coach that came with and OL that Cerrato recruited? Great. The insanity continues ...

Posted by: BlackBagOps | August 12, 2009 10:40 AM

Are you new? Vinny has survived 3 coaching changes already? Unless he stops letting Snyder win at racquetball, what's stopping him from getting a crack at #4?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2009 11:03 AM |

Perhaps u r blind and did not c the sentence "And the insanity continues ..." in my post. lmao

Posted by: BlackBagOps | August 12, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I used to be in Suisham's corner, but I'm done with him after last year's showing. He's been dead to me since he missed that chip shot field goal in the playoff game in Seattle after the kickoff recovery. I hope Rayner beats him out soundly.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Raphael Cherry and the inimitable Dwight Shrute in back to back posts? Dare I say... BeantownGreg...en fuego...

off to spend some Shrute Bucks. Catch y'all later

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | August 12, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

If the CBA expires after this season then eligibilty for UFA goes from 4years to 6 hurting both soup and los. also teams get 2 franchise tags. this was put in to give the NFLPA motivation to get a deal done.

Posted by: hcic55 | August 12, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

"And Jansen was then and remains a formidable blocker."

If Jansen was a formidable blocker, he'd still be playing for the Redskins, not having his head coach pitch to management the reasons he should be cut, even though it costs the team cap space this season.

"If Oher had been the 13th pick, then you can be sure he would have been handed the job, and then you'd have a complaint of unfairness."

Says who? Have you heard me complain that Orakpo was handed a starting spot? Landry two years ago? Carlos Rogers before him? Sean Taylor before him? I have never complained in regards to a first round selection forcing the issue.

"So you say. You haven't demonstrated that this was Heyer's fault. Heck, you haven't even demonstrated that the line was the big reason behind the Skins' second half offense. Even if it was, why not blame one of the other guys? O-Lines play as a unit."

Now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing. I shouldn't need to demonstrate that the line was a significant reason behind the second half offense every time the topic comes up any more than the Vikings shouldn't need to demonstrate that Travaris Jackson was a weak starting QB during his brief tenure every time Brett Favre's name came up. That implication is obvious, and has been demonstrated numerous times from multiple different sources.

As for Heyer, logic leads me to believe that his primary position this upcoming season, RT, was the biggest weakness due to (1) the fact that last year's majority starter was cut, (2) they brought in 3 different guys to compete for that spot, and (3) this was the only position along the line that was acknowledged as being an open competition.

And for the record, I have no problems with Stephon Heyer as a player or person. The guy was a great find. He could be very valuable to this team, now and in the future. But he's being put up against the odds with this one. They're putting him in a position that he shouldn't be put in, as they have his whole career. He struggled his rookie season when he was forced into the lineup due to injuries and he struggled for a majority of last season when he was again forced into the lineup due to injury (and struggled in one of his early starts that he 'won' as well, going against Justin Tuck). On top of that, as you mentioned, he's injury prone and hasn't lasted an entire season yet, only adding to the injury history plaguing the starting offensive line.

Posted by: psps23 | August 12, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BlackBagOps | August 12, 2009 11:18 AM

Just making sure you weren't expecting anything less from this FO.

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26

Have to agree with you there. I watched a segment about the kicking competition on CSN's Training Camp Daily, and Suisham seems to think he's a lock at keeping his job, that they only got Rayner to light a fire under Suisham. Maybe... and maybe they want a sure-fire kicker. God knows they need one.

Posted by: pgugino | August 12, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

or even anything medium from this FO

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 12, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

By the way, great quote from Jason Peters.

Mosley: Just from looking at the stats last season, you gave up some sacks and had too many penalties. How do you explain that?

Peters: Hey, I was in Hawaii [at the Pro Bowl]. Players know, coaches know. A lot of times guys go up against me and get embarrassed. I can't win them all, though. I'm not perfect.

Boy, this guy sounds like a winner to me.

Posted by: psps23 | August 12, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

If the CBA expires ... teams get 2 franchise tags.

Posted by: hcic55 | August 12, 2009 11:23 AM

thx for the info

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2009 11:22 AM

Agree 100%. His name is not spoken in my household after he cost us the playoff run in memory of ST #21. He also showed he can't last more than 8 or 9 games, which is 10 fewer than I hope we play this (and every) year.

Posted by: Section104 | August 12, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Talent Evaluator, I seem to remember you being very happy/satisfied with Suisham as we headed into the season last year……what are your thoughts this year?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 12, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Suisham should have been shot for some of the field goals he missed last year.

On the Qb thing from the last post:

Collins is terrible. We need to cut him and give the two youngsters (well, guys my age) the roster spots. We save money and develop young talent. The talent difference between collins and Daniels/Brennan is huge IMO. Collins "experience" counts for very little as it was all in a different system. On top of that, he looked simply awful in the Zorn system. Worst of all, Collins is like 100 years old in football terms.

I also think it would be fantastic if either Barnes or Tryon could unseat Smoot as the #3 corner.

My biggest hope though, is that Rhinehardt shows that he can get it done and unseats Randy Thomas...Oh, and that Randle El is relegated to waterboy.

Posted by: ecale25 | August 12, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Suisham had a strong start but lost leg strength too early last year. Kicking is weird and body-specific. I think he's figuring it out. I'm prepared to keep my ante on Suisham again, esp. that he figures out how to maintain leg stretch and sustain consistency. Veteran legs are better than legs still figuring it out. Suisham > Rayner based on # of seasons alone. SHOMER SHABBOS!

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

4th - I can never remember what the cap rules are with next season and the CBA.

Although, if we head into next season "having" to franchise Campbell...well, that means he played pretty damn well this season, so I'm all for that scenario!!

Posted by: Section104 | August 12, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

psp, yikes...wow...not sure how to take what Peters had to say, that doesn't exactly give you the warm and fuzzies... I'm pretty sure that had the Redskins traded for one of the worst tackles in the league, and then gave him a 60 million dollar contract, they'd be getting absolutely GRILLED for it.....

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Suisham should have been shot for some of the field goals he missed last year.

Posted by: ecale25 | August 12, 2009 11:39 AM

Which ones? The ones where the holder was Frost, Durant, or Plackemeier?

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Good point Sween - now that you mention it, I was really pleasantly surprised at the start of last year when his kickoffs were regularly getting to the mid-back of the end zone - towards the end of the year, you saw a siginificnat drop off there...plus the missed kicks

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 12, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

"...Campbell could use this year to audition for another team..."

There's a concept.

Does a quarterback have to be great to win?

Look at Kerry Collins' number from last year when he led the Titans to a 13-3 record (remember, Collins took over for V Young):

58.3 2,676 6.4 12 7

Campbell's from an 8-8 team:

62.3 3,245 6.4 13 6

The redskins' front office is disappointed in Jason Campbell for what appears to be unfounded reasons when you consider the difference between him and Collins.

And if another team sees these numbers and has the defense and running game the Titans featured last year, well, that's an audtition Mr. Campbell would do well to hit every mark in.

Campbell should just be himself and make the plays that are called. His job is just as simple as that.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 12, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I am hoping Zorn's play calling has improved from last year. His horrific play calls were as bad as the O-line play last year. If that hasn't, we are doomed despite the defense being dominant.

Posted by: dcwun | August 12, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcwun | August 12, 2009 11:43 AM

The horrific play calling was in the second half (or, at least, no one questioned his play calling when they were winning games in the first half of the season). Different parts of the play book becomes more or less available depending on the availability (injuries) of key parts of the roster.

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Well said Moe. As long as JC realizes there are (31) better minds out there judging his talent, he'll be fine in the long run. We're completely f'ed , but he'll be okay.

Posted by: mack1 | August 12, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Rayner has a stronger leg and it wouldn't be such a bad thing to see more kickoffs go through the back of the end zone. Suisham tapered off at the end of last season - maybe a guy with a stronger leg will have more stamina? My vote is for Rayner.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 12, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

"By the way, great quote from Jason Peters.
Boy, this guy sounds like a winner to me.
Posted by: psps23"

I'm sure the problem is that he was an undrafted free agent and the front office was too cheap to use up high draft choices on offensive linemen.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Are you new?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2009 11:03 AM |

Ive been around for a long, long year.
Hope you guess my name.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | August 12, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Part of coaching is making adjustments. Zorn did absolutely nothing to adjust when teams figured out what he was doing. If the line is struggling, max protect. Do something for goodness sakes. This wasn't the first time we were beat up along the line.

Posted by: dcwun | August 12, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I highly doubt Suisham or Rayner will get offers elsewhere so if whoever makes it initially sucks they can just sign the other one back. For all the fat contracts Snyder gives out, you'd think the kicker would have gotten figured out by now.

Posted by: ToddStinkston | August 12, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

psps: "So do I feel the criticism of the FO is warranted when placing their hopes on this guy, a 400 pound aging project that missed on his first foray into the league, and a journeyman swing G/T? Yea, I really do. Posted by: psps23"

I think we hear you, my friend. But do you see how subjective that is? I could easily change that to read that the front office deserves praise for having discovered a talented UFA, taken a brave risk on a still-young former top five pick who'd been out of football for two years, and made a smart pickup of an athletic, versatile guard/tackle with 39 NFL starts under his belt.

You think you're right, and maybe you are. I'm just challenging you to do more than assert it.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Are you new?

Posted by: brownwood26 | August 12, 2009 11:03 AM |

Ive been around for a long, long year.
Hope you guess my name.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | August 12, 2009 11:57 AM

Did your name used to be Barack Obama?

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 12, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

BG, I'll put money on it that Peters gets ABUSED by the NFC East this season.

Here's another killer quote from Philly's new franchise tackle.

Peters: [DeMarcus] Ware's the best and then Osi [Umenyiora]. Then I'd probably say [Andre] Carter. But I know Justin Tuck has come on pretty strong lately, too. When I went against Ware a couple years ago, I don't think he had any sacks.

Fact: Demarcus Ware had 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble that game. To Peters' credit, I don't know whether Ware beat Peters himself, but given their average pre-snap positions, I'd bet the onus was on Peters. Umenyiora also had a sack and FF that season when NYG faced Buffalo. Dude has massively over-inflated his own ego.

Posted by: psps23 | August 12, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | August 12, 2009 11:34 AM |

Dude pulled a Manny. He wanted out of Buffalo.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | August 12, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

... If the line is struggling, max protect. ...

Posted by: dcwun | August 12, 2009 12:00 PM

I think that's what he did do right around mid-season ... try to turn to the max protect passing game (this is about the tiem Portis called him a "genius" for getting away from the running game). Max protect meant keeping tight ends in for pass support.

Generally, however, I agree that he needs to keep defensive coordinators on their heels ... and hopefully they don't have to start the season in max protect (and stay there all season long) due to the right side of the line.

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I watched the top 10 NFL Defenses of all time last night on NFL network. Steel Curtain was #1, '85 Bears was #2.

Interestingly, the '78 Falcons Grits Blitz was #5, ahead of the 2000 Ravens and the Doomsday defense.

I'd never even heard of it before that show but I'd like to see us send 10 guys on a blitz once or twice this year.

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 12, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

can anybody tell me why we don't take a look at Mike Vanderjagghthahtht the idiot kicker? Dude had a power leg and was/is? the most accurate kicker in history....

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 12, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"But do you see how subjective that is? I could easily change that to read that the front office deserves praise for having discovered a talented UFA, taken a brave risk on a still-young former top five pick who'd been out of football for two years, and made a smart pickup of an athletic, versatile guard/tackle with 39 NFL starts under his belt."

Yes. And I'd agree with it. And I'd still say that none of them should have been relied upon to become that starting RT heading into training camp, much the same as I would have said that none of Alfred Fincher, Robert Thomas, or HB Blades should have been relied upon to start at SLB (even though I applaud all 3 pickups/selections). Those two points are not mutually exclusive.

Posted by: psps23 | August 12, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Which ones? The ones where the holder was Frost, Durant, or Plackemeier?

Posted by: dcsween | August 12, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Any and all. A professional kicker shouldn't miss inside the 30 ever IMO. Unless his holder had a heart attack that is no excuse. Hell, even I can kick 30 yard field goals consistently...and I was a running back in HS.

Posted by: ecale25 | August 12, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 12, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

It is funny no one has mentioned Danny Smith when talking about the kicking game. This guy is a good coverage coach but how good is he at developing punters and kickers? The team threw him a Ray Guy award winner last year and Danny couldn't make anything out of the kid. And why this insistence on a punter being the holder? Is this Smith or Zorn's idea? It just seems limited if you ever want to fake a field goal.

Posted by: RedSkinHead | August 12, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

well, yes, in theory, but you've got to account for the weather some times

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | August 12, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

What was that deal with Porcello plunking Youkilis? His teammates had to know it was coming. You don't want one of your prize pitchers scuffling with a slug like Youk. The 1st and 3rd basemen could easily gotten to the mound before Youk did. And yet they let him charge Porcello, heave his helmet at him and grab him. Luckily Porcello was able to throw him to the ground but it could have been a lot worse. Sheesh.

Posted by: BlackBagOps | August 12, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | August 12, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------

There are a handful of teams who would probably welcome JC with open arms.

The Browns, Lions, Vikings, Texans, Bucs, Bills, Raiders, & 49ers, would hand him a contract the day he became available, and I bet the Jaguars, Titans, Rams, Jets, & Eagles would put a call into the agent.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 12, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

MAx Protect????

Sween - You wanna bring Gibbs back?

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

"And I'd still say that none of them should have been relied upon to become that starting RT heading into training camp, much the same as I would have said that none of Alfred Fincher, Robert Thomas, or HB Blades should have been relied upon to start at SLB (even though I applaud all 3 pickups/selections). Those two points are not mutually exclusive.
Posted by: psps23"

And they're entirely subjective. Like I said, maybe you're right. We'll all get to see.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"No professional kicker should miss multiple 40 yard kicks by leaving them short or struggle to get their kickoffs deeper than the 10 yard line. Suisham is a way below average kicker, he was the least accurate guy in the league last year, if you're gonna be inaccurate at least have a leg, we get neither with him, he aint accurate, a 45 yarder is 5 yards out of his range, and he routinely kicks the ball off to the 12 yard line. Anybody would be better than him.
Posted by: zjfr2"

Most of those misses were outside the 40. That's what dragged his percentage down. I don't know what was wrong, if it was his leg or not. But it definitely cost the team.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 12, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 12, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------------------

You answered your own question with the phrase 'in history'. As in not right now. As in that stallion is headed for the glue factory.

Posted by: mattsoundworld | August 12, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hcic55 |

Thanks dude. I believe this scenario would make JC a restricted free agent, which would enable us to get something for him if he chooses to go elsewhere, maybe 2 picks, one of which is a first rounder? I forget how that goes.

Posted by: RomoShortball | August 12, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

"What was that deal with Porcello plunking Youkilis?"

Every pitcher should. He's the most annoying player in any sport today.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 12, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 12, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I've wondered the same thing. Why not bring him in to challenge Suisham instead of bringing in Rayner.

Posted by: Rusty6392 | August 12, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"Rayner has played parts of four seasons with the Colts, Packers, Chiefs, Chargers and Bengals. He had his best season for Green Bay in 2006, connecting on 26 of 35 field-goal attempts (74.3 percent) in 16 games and scoring 109 points."
By Jason Reid | August 12, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
****

To be honest, I'd never heard of Dave Rayner prior to the Redskins signing him, and I consider myself to be a fairly avid NFL fan. I'm thinking, geez, I hope he wins over Suisham (who my Lions fan buddy mocks every Sunday sarcastically calling him Swish'em --- when Lions fans are mocking you you've hit rock bottom), but after JReid's article, I say Let's go Swish'em!! Rayner's best season was a 74.3% effort!?!?! Seriously?!? I agree, Swish'em's miss against Seattle was devastating and a big momentum swing, but you could blame the offense for not scoring 7 after that miracle kickoff recovery, or on Collins for throwing a pick-6, on Heyer for his utter inability to block Patrick Kerney the entire game, or on a number of other things. I hold my breath evry time Swish'em kicks, and I'm hopeful for a new and better kicker to arrive in DC soon, but I think I'd be even less confident about Rayner.

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 12, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 12, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Didn't he get released by a CFL team?

From wikipedia:
After sitting out the 2007 NFL season, Vanderjagt worked out with the Denver Broncos and the Kansas City Chiefs[6] and, on May 31, 2008, the Toronto Argonauts signed Vanderjagt and traded their veteran kicker Noel Prefontaine to the Edmonton Eskimos.[3][7] Vanderjagt claimed he really wanted to return to Toronto and his hometown "regardless of what NFL team called" as he missed the sport, missed the area, and missed his friends and family, which include his wife Janalyn and their 9 year old son Jay Michael[8].[6] He was released on his request on May 28, 2009.[9]

===

Can't you be signed by an NFL team while under contract to the CFL? Not sure what that means for the idiot, but I think he's done.

Posted by: WorstSeat | August 12, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 12, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rusty6392 | August 12, 2009 12:47 PM

We would still need 2 kickers on the roster, when we should only need one…….Vanderchoke to kick anything in the first 55 minutes, and someone else to kick when the game is on the line.

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 12, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Original_etrod | August 12, 2009 12:13 PM |

According to the commentators, the Gritx Blitz was the real deal. I think it took them to the NFC Champship game.

But, they didn't win a SB for them like Bmore, so I don't understand the ranking system....

Posted by: 4thFloor | August 12, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Moe,

Not only Kerry Collins, but pull Roethlisberger and Flacco's stat-lines as well.

These guys were the toast of the NFL last year.

Posted by: p1funk | August 12, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Top 5 Redskins strengths:
5. Hunter the Punter (major upgrade)
4. Tight Ends (I'm a USC fan, so I'm biased, but I think Fred Davis will emerge as a playmaker, and Cooley is already awesome)
3. Two words: Clinton Portis
2. Secondary (DHall will have a very nice year and all 4 positions seem rock solid)
1. Defensive Line (Haynesworth and a ton of depth)

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 12, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Jeep Jeep - Chrysler

Posted by: BeantownGreg1 | August 12, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Posted by: abxinc | August 12, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Top 5 Redskins weaknesses:
5. QB's: (Not Jason Campbell's fault, but he's still learning elements of the system, and his confidence could be easily shaken this year. Also, he may take a beating behing the o-line and we've got no trusted back-up)
4. WR's (I hate to sya this beacuse Moss is the best WR in the NFC Beast, but the corps as a whole haven't shown enough yet.
3. Kicker (I hate to put this at #3, but kicking could really cost the Skins 2-3 wins if it is inconsistent)Punt Returner
2. Punt Returner (I'm not ranking this so high due to the importance of the position, but because as much as I like ARE as a player, his punt returning was woeful last year. Maybe someone else will take over -- I hope...)
1. The Piglets AKA The Offensive Line (From the sound of things the entire unit looks rough -- I hope they pull it together).

Posted by: TheNewTruth | August 12, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

After a full decade, why not evaluate Danny and Vinny's front office mad skilz by the results on the field? I mean, who cares if they find an undrafted rookie FA who turns into a starter -- if he's starting on the offensive line because of their failures to actually draft or sign anyone real to play that position?

Posted by: diesel_skins_ | August 12, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Suisham's 72% clip last year ranked him at number 35 out of 39 kickers who attempted at least 1 FG in the NFL.

The 4 kickers with a worse percentage:
Grammatica 6/10
Nick novak 6/10
Steve Hauschka 1/2
Mike Nugent 0/1

Basically, Suisham had the WORST FG% of any kicker who attempted more than 10 FGs last year.

Posted by: p1funk | August 12, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

you were happy with Suisham as we headed into the season last year……what are your thoughts this year?

Posted by: dlhaze1 | August 12, 2009 11:37 AM

He had a bad year, and I'm glad he's facing competition this year.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 12, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone get the difference between the two polls? Who will be the starter and who should be the starter are completely different.

Posted by: Rush21 | August 12, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse