Suisham vs. Rayner: Is One Kicker Ahead?

The other day, I wrote that I expected place kicker Shaun Suisham to emerge victorious in his battle with Dave Rayner.

I acknowledged that I did not have a great feel for that position battle, so I watched more closely last night. Rayner showed a good leg on kickoffs and converted a 25-yard field goal. I wasn't as impressed with Suisham, who missed a potential go-ahead 52-yard field goal late in the game.

"That comes into the weighing of that competition. No question about that," Coach Jim Zorn said. "Every kick is hugely important. I think these guys know. ... The 52-yard field goal, you know, it's a factor."

Although Suisham struggled last season, I thought the coaching staff's familiarity with him would provide the edge in the competition. Now, I'm not so sure. With only one preseason game left, Suisham probably needs a really good performance Thursday against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"I'm very undecided about the situation," Zorn said. "I'm waiting for the last possible minute to have to make that choice right now because there's no clear-cut guy."

By Jason Reid  |  August 29, 2009; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sellers Apologizes, Explains Pregame Report
Next: More on Sellers and the Flag

Comments

hyemp

Posted by: BMACattack | August 29, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

By Zorns tone, I took it as he's getting increasingly frustrated at Suisham's consistency at the end of ball games. Although, it should have been a 45 yd fg since Colt took a bonehead sack on the previous play. If they are equal in FG comp, you have to look at the kickoffs. Rayner has the edge in my book.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 29, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Kickoff distance doesn't matter much when we only do it once a game. Suisham's 52-ydr wasn't a bad kick, really. Is there a difference between the two kickers? Rayner's kickoffs are 10 yrds farther, thats all I can see from Durham NC.

Posted by: gufinufi | August 29, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm down with Rayner on this. Big kickoffs are a really big deal...they can be the difference between points or no points for the opposition. There just aren't that many teams that can go the length of the field.

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 29, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

I don't see Tryon making this team i mean that knockdown on third down in the second half was complete blind dumb azz luck he had his back turned to the play!!. The place kicking situation is not so clear i would have let Rayner attempt the fifty two yarder i'm not sure you want to go into the season with an unproven guy like Rayner I think Suisham wins by default and hopefully his fg% will improve over last season.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 29, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Guf,

Like the sense of humor but Suisham has proven year after year that he's weak on kickoffs.. our coverage teams are weak enough to give 10-12 yds before the player takes a freakin' step. I don't think Suisham is that much better than Rayner, so for me.... go with the Kickoff specialist..

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 29, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

The Skins' thinking here is a mystery. Far as I can tell by looking at NFL.com, Shaun has hit a 52 yard field goal exactly once in his career. It was his longest ever. Did Zorn expect him to nail a second one last night?

Suisham kicked FGs at 82% until last season, when he dropped to 72%. The reason for the dropoff in accuracy: the team started demanding longer FGs. Instead of the usual 2 attempts of 50 yards per season, they wanted four; he hit one of them. Instead of hitting 10 of 13 beyond 40 yards, he dropped to 11 of 16. Who knows why? All of a sudden he just wasn't as good from 40 yards out. His kickoffs, never a particular strength, didn't change that much. So maybe it was the holder after all.

Rayner gets six or seven yards more on KOs and does much better on the long FGs. Will he be better than Suisham when the crowd's screaming and the special teamers are pouring in? I can't tell. We're not talking All-Pros here.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

It may be that neither one of them is our kicker on opening day but we pick up someone cut by another team. Hard to tell because we don't know what they're showing in practice.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Why ?

Posted by: redonmyskin | August 29, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

First Five Cuts:
1) DT Skolnitsky
2) FB E. Williams
3) WR T. Shelton
4) TE T. Yoder
5) CB B. Westbrook

Posted by: iseyij | August 29, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts, 1st game I'd seen

1. Suisham's kickoff seemed higher than Rayner, but Rayner had distance. Suisham probably gets the job if he makes the 52 yd FG. Long and clutch. Didn't happen. The Skins might have a call into Seattle and to trade one of our upcoming cuts for the kicker they cut.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Here's a stat that surprised me: Suisham had 16 attempts over 40 yards last season -- second most in the NFL after Tennessee's Rob Bironas. This in spite of not being very effective from that distance. I believe he was also the least accurate from 50+, or very close to it. So why did the coaches keep going to that well?

You have to wonder.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Thought 2

Jason Campbell is fine, but still not in synch with his WRs at the level he needs to be. There are 2 weeks before the opener. Zorn NEEDS to establish who the #1, #2 and #3 WRs are at this point so Campbell can get sharp with them

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Also as good as gone, either next or later..
1) S Grant
2) DT Marquardt

Posted by: iseyij | August 29, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

You have to wonder.

Posted by: Samson151

my guess is they didn't have confidence in the O-line turning a 4th down into a first.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 29, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

We are trying to decide between two below average kickers. Did anyone else note that the Patriots lose Vinatieri to a huge FA offer and replace him with a Pro-Bowl kicker in Gostkowski? They didn't miss a beat with this important position. We haven't had a good kicker since Lohmiller. I'm hoping we'll find a good one soon, but until then let's go with Rayner this year. I have no way of knowing that he's actually better..but I just feel like having my heart broken by a different kicker this season. Call me crazy, but I know that when Suisham pulls a 47 yarder, in the closing seconds, to lose a game the Skins deserve and need to win, I'll be screaming "NO...Should'a been Rayner!!!". I'd rather avoind that if possible.

Posted by: MColeman51 | August 29, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Thought 3

The WRs should be Moss, Kelly and ARE in that order. Marko is a keeper. Thomas and Hackett fight for the last spot. I didn't think Thomas was that special on the kickoff returns, would like to see Aldridge have a shot next week. Kelly needs to work on his end zone patterns/moves.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Thought 4

Pleased to see Orakpo making solid tackles on run plays. He's going to need to do that to be successful in this league

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Thought 4

We don't have a good CB to match up with Randy Moss and Moss-like WRs. There are none in our division, so its not a huge deal. But when we do play them, it won't be easy.

Randy Moss makes it look so easy

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Thought 6

The second Thought 4 shoulda been Thought 5

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Thought 7

LaRon Landry does not look comfortable as the FS.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Thought 8

I don't care that Portis had poor rushing numbers. 6 carries is plenty for him in a preseason game. But it didn't look like he had any room to run, and that IS a concern

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 4:42 PM

Only thing the 'Skins would trade for a kicker would be a player that they're about to cut. Hackett?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Thought 9

No Robert Henson. My longshot predictions included Roydell being our #2 WR and Henson starting a game. Not looking good ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I just said the same thing that Zeke said in slightly different words.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"I ain't got nothing but love."

Feeling is mutual Moe...bring back some Rodney Dangerfield posts when you have the chance.

Posted by: Yoder-lay-hee-who | August 29, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

redskins.com is one of the most confusing, badly designed websites I've ever seen. I've seen toilet stall writing that was easier to follow than the mess they put up. Love the team, hate the site.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

samason151

"In fact, I'll say he hasn't been as bad has Hitler as doing it."

In English please?

I'm sorry, I forget you're the smartest poster.

I apologize for the poorly constructed sentence and while do 5 Hail Mary's over a Language Arts book.

That line should read:

"In fact, I'll say that in terms of jobs, he hasn't been as bad has Hitler in doing it, despite what bloggas claim."

Feel better?

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

samson151

I need to go to English Language rehab.

The grammar has been off all day.

It's a consequence of being in a Yankees' blog where arrogance and profanity is all that's properly spelled.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Rayner is a career 71.2% FG kicker who averages 64.3 yds per KO and 22.6 return yds. He played one full season for GB in 2006 and 10 games for KC in 2007.

Suisham is a career 77.9% FG kicker who averages 61.0 yds per KO and 21.2 return yds. To the best of my knowledge he has never missed a last second FG for Wash and has hit at least a couple. Do not know about Rayner in this regard.

Basically they are almost the same guy.

Posted by: lifelongfan | August 29, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

If that dallas reject sweezeham makes the roster i'm gonna puke. That guy has been burning my ass since he turned the momentum in that seahawk playoff game, get that pos out of here, he's the worst.

Posted by: bhoang888 | August 29, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you T_E. That thing is rough on the eyes. It looks like Dan Snyder's myspace page. And it sucks.

Posted by: mack1 | August 29, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Yoder

"...bring back some Rodney Dangerfield posts when you have the chance."

The Dangerfield posts have to come naturally.

The racist post I dropped yesterday fell badly and had folks ready to call me the n-word.

I promised not to do another one.......until the next time.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

1 Campbell 2 Collins 3 Colt

1 Tana 2 Kelly 3 Marko 4 DT 5 ARE

1 CP 2 Betts 3 Marcus Mason 4 Aldridge

1 Sellers

1 Cooley 2 Davis (turn your head!) 3 Yoder

KR D Thomas PR Aldridge (Mason?)

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

ZCE,

Hackett vs Thomas, Hackett doesn't have a chance.. He may not make it past Sept 1 cuts... DT is a 2nd rd pick and oh by the way, did you see the move he put on the Pats' Mayo??? Mayo is a great baller and future star in this league... Thomas in a landslide.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 29, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Marko Double LL had TD catch but also missed tackle on punt return that set up winning FG

Posted by: noonefromtampa | August 29, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Both these guys are well below average...I saw enough of Suisham to know he is not the guy I want kicking for my team...Rayner may be just as bad but at least I haven't seen this 'movie' before - maybe it ends differently

Posted by: marksmen | August 29, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

#31,46,82 renaldo wynn, tryon, need to go. Not gonna make any moves with stale talent. how many more years of mediocrity? this is a business.

No such thing "shut-down corner"

Never gonna be another Sean Taylor.

Dirty30 needs to stop being such a fruitcake flake.

Posted by: bhoang888 | August 29, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

First Five Cuts:
1) DT Skolnitsky
2) FB E. Williams
3) WR T. Shelton
4) TE T. Yoder
5) CB B. Westbrook

I don't see them cutting Yoder just yet, with avg line, you may always need his size along with lorenzo alexander for blocking.

I do think you are on the money with rest, add a kicker, hackett, eloi agnon and colt you are on the way to 53.

Posted by: stivic | August 29, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

what's the downside to cutting the least accurate kicker in the league who has a weak leg on kickoffs and giving a new guy a shot? Its hard to get worse than the last place kicker even if Raynor is just an upgrade on kickoffs we're better off.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 29, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Marko is on the team unless he trys to forward unwelcome advances on Zorn's daughter. And he would probably make it anyway, LOL.

Zorn used a whole bunch of coach speak so as to not a) let Marko relax and slack (not that he would) and b) let the others know they are gone via the press.

Having said that, the players know. If I'm Rock, I'm hoping I get the axe early vice late so I have a chance to catch on. Not sure that any teams will be in the market for a 4th string RB who can satisfactorily return kicks and make some ST tackles. There is no upside. Others on the team have taken one of each of his roles and have a LOT more upside. If you want to get bigger, younger and faster (and as we all know YOU DO), guys like Rock have to get cut. Perhaps sad, certainly true.

Rock is and has always been an over achieving blue collar stud who has managed to keep the wolves at bay until now. Dude has STONES. He has had a very good run, and is what St. Joe would call a "core Redskin". I thank him for his service and wish him only the best.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

The only real chance players have of catching on with anotehr team is to be in the first five cut.

That said, don't be shocked if a real "name" or two is on that list from the Redskins....

When very team is cutting 22 guys next week, and prepping for Game One, little chance of standing out...

Posted by: TheCork | August 29, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I was hardly a Tryon fan last year, but he has improved with each pre-season game this year. It's not like the 'skins have a slew of corners.

They keep Smoot and Hall, 'los (when will he be healthy?) Tryon, and Barnes on the active roster.

Posted by: TheCork | August 29, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

ZCE,

CLEGG

Haven't seen Hackett this season, but they guy has contributed at the NFL level and Thomas hasn't, so I wouldn't write him off yet. Still, I'm guessing its Thomas because he has the upside that Hackett doesn't. The #5 slot is going to go to the guy with upside.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I too love me some rock but Aldridge showed a burst last night that is missing in our backfield, time to let rock go and keep mason and aldridge

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 29, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Guys I'd be afraid to let go:

Marko Mitchell (he stays)
Chris Wilson (He probably stays)
Chase Daniel (He or Brennan decide fate Thursday)
Alridge (?) #39 (Speed kills)
Mike Williams (too soon...to tell if he can play)
Rock Cartwright
Mason (I'd keep him over Betts)

Posted by: TheCork | August 29, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

The first half of the 2009 schedule is soft.. but the last half has very tough opponents..Combine this fact with the Redskin's thin OLine of backups...it will be like last year.... a redux of 6-2 to 2-6...
Come On Vinny.. surprise us!! Snap up a few OL hidden gems that are cut over the next two weeks...

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 29, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I think what helps Tryon and Barnes is that they WANT to move Smoot to safety or play him as a hybrid.

9? DBs
Hall Los Tryon Gatorade

LL Predator Reed Moore

Smoot obviously stays...

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Kickoff distance doesn't matter much when we only do it once a game.

Hanx for the laugh, but Swissham's short kickoffs did hurt the team last year.
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 29, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator

Could be, but I doubt it'd be Hackett, since they know him already. Seattle apparently has two good kickers fighting for a job. Mare and Coutu(?) and it seems the loser in that competition may be a good call for us. Rayner is mediocre on FGs and Suisham is marginal. Plan C

My guess (hope), we trade a Rob Jackson or Buzbee. They won't play here, maybe they make the rotation in Seattle. If I were them, I might look at LaDell Betts or Rock ... its not like Julius Jones is scaring anyone ...

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

>>>Cuts are coming.. I hope Vinny is watching the wire for OL deep teams that are cutting offensive linemen that could start and/or backup for the Skins.. (ie. Jags and Browns.. both very overloaded with Offensive Line talent)

DING DING DING we have a winner.

Crummey was unfortunately snatched from our Psquad last year.

The key is YOUNGER FASTER STRONGER.

No more Kendall type guys who are on the other side of the hill. We want guys who still have their best years in front of them

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Thought 10

The defense looked to be less than the sum of its parts. Brady and Moss can do that to a team, but even so, it looked too easy.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

QB Stat line from the New Orleans/Oakland game

Drew Brees 14/17 179 2 0
Mark Brunell 3/10 80 0 2

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Mark Brunell 3/10 80 0 2

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 6:07 PM

3 complete for 80 yds? Brunell throwing down the field?

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Here is a thought:

I'm LOVING the fact that Patriots Nation and the NFL pimpers are in a FRENZY over Brady's alBERT HAYNESworth induced "sore shoulder".

Put that in yer 52-7 pipe and suck on it, b!tches.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Feel better?Posted by: MistaMoe"

LOL don't be sensitive. I just didn't understand the sentence. Now that you've clarified it, I at least feel that I should be able to understand it, at some future point.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

"Basically they are almost the same guy.
Posted by: lifelongfan"

Right. That's the problem. Rayner's been passed around for more than a year. Suisham could be about to embark on the same fate. Why didn't they sign a better kicker?

Maybe they agree with Suisham that he needed a better holder and they hope Hunter will provide a real boost.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Put that in yer 52-7 pipe and suck on it, b!tches.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe

At some level, I think that thought is wrong. And yet, I really really really like it :)

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I thought that was easy, Samson151.

Right, Moe?
~

Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya | August 29, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

How about this guy? Miami just released him.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

z, i had that level of thought too. I fought it off and let 'er rip, LOL

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

"If Hitler were Danny's racket ball partner, he would be ignoring the offensive line even more than Vinnie.Right, Moe?
Posted by: ifthethunderdontgetya"

I think I get it. Like, if Dan Snyder hit a screamer past Adolf's ear, the little Nazi would turn around and execute two FO employees and an assistant trainer.

It all makes sense now.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Cerrato say he wanted to make all 5 cuts by today? Guess he lied again.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 29, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

You dumb dumbs really think they're going to cut Cartwright?? You have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted by: BMACattack | August 29, 2009 6:29 PM | Report abuse

What I like:

a) options at WR...I can go Moss, Kelly Thomas OR Moss, Kelly, ARE OR Moss, Mitchell, Kelly OR Moss, Kelly, Cooley, Davis...

b) depth at D-line...home grown youngins' at DE (Jarmon and Orako); Golston and Montgomery still young

c) Marcus Mason

d) where can I get a Marko Mitchell jersey?

e) Stephon Heyer...c'mon ya'll he looked good last night (25 years old, UFA,...that's how you build a team)

f) JC with time to throw

g) Devin Thomas returning kicks

What I don't like

a) Backup O lineman

b) our secondary...I'm worried

c) JC when he doesn't have time...the best o-lines in the world have breakdowns...whatchu gonna do JC?

d) what Brandon Jacobs may do to our LB's and secondary

e) kicker situation...can we go get a kicker with like 10 consonants in his last name.

other than that...I'm good

Posted by: rickyroge | August 29, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

How about this guy? Miami just released him.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2009 6:21 PM |

Anyone that played at a high school named Hoggard should at least get a shot.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | August 29, 2009 6:29 PM

Listen here big stupid dummy head, stranger things have happened with this team.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Didn't Cerrato say he wanted to make all 5 cuts by today? Guess he lied again.

Posted by: zjfr2 | August 29, 2009 6:27 PM

1. Day isn't over yet, is it, Jack?
2. Saying he wants to do something isn't a promise to do it, is it, Jack?
3. What difference does it make? His point was that he wanted to cut the guys before they practice again. Today's an off day, isn't it, Jack?
4. How do you know he hasn't cut them, Jack?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

If Vinny manages to stockpile some O-lineman through cuts for depth purposes, then........dare I say.....we could be turning the corner....

Posted by: rickyroge | August 29, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

stranger things have happened with this team.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 6:36 PM

Yeah. Any team that could cut Leigh Torrence could sure wave bye-bye to the Rock.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

WR depth chart:
1- Santana Moss
2- Marko Mitchell
3- Devin Thomas
4- Malcolm Kelley
5- D.J.Hackett

Cut the rest...

Posted by: KurtShanaman | August 29, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

With all the Kool Aid drinking...here are the holes on this team...

Backup MLB- They must draft Fletcher's replacement

LT (backup), RG, C - speaks for itself; this has been said ad nauseum

RB- We need Portis' replacement

OLB

QB- either to push JC or his replacement

Posted by: rickyroge | August 29, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

They will not cut Cartwright or ARE...Betts may be gone...

what can Betts do that no one else can do?

Betts is like Kenny Watson...he had one good season and he's still sniffin' the fumes from it.

Posted by: rickyroge | August 29, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

5- D.J.Hackett

Cut the rest...

Posted by: KurtShanaman | August 29, 2009 6:42 PM

Just curious. Why do you think Hackett would be better than ARE?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Got a little choked up seeing Leigh Torrence in a Saints uniform on the NFL network....

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 29, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Change that...

WR depth chart:
1- Santana Moss
2- Marko Mitchell
3- Devin Thomas
4- Malcolm Kelley
5- Keith Eloi

Cut the rest...

Posted by: KurtShanaman | August 29, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

5- D.J.Hackett

Cut the rest...

Posted by: KurtShanaman | August 29, 2009 6:42 PM

Just curious. Why do you think Hackett would be better than ARE?

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 6:46 PM |

Actually I don't but I think Eloi is better...

Posted by: KurtShanaman | August 29, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Kurt,

I just looked up Eloi's stats. He's had one reception for 8 yards. I'm just curious as to what you saw in that reception that makes you think he would be better than ARE who was one of the most productive #2 receivers in the NFL last year.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I think he has better speed but I may be wrong..what do you think?

Posted by: KurtShanaman | August 29, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dmorgan6617 | August 29, 2009 6:46 PM

Peirson Pr...? too

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Ricky,

Really,?? Betts before Cartwright?

ZCE,

Trade Rob Jackson or Buzbee??? Who will take that trade when one or both are going to get cut? Hackett isn't here in front of Eloi, especially not Marko. He was brought in to teach the youngsters the nuance of Zorn's offense.

Roc isn't a huge upgrade on Kick returns from others available and is decent on coverage, but not worth of #3 RB. Sorry, he's gone. ( and I'm a Roc fan )

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 29, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

He seems to do well in practice from this blog.

Posted by: KurtShanaman | August 29, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Redskin Willie,

You got email, brother!

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 29, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Clegg...

I just don't see what Betts can do over Rock

Rock plays teams

Posted by: rickyroge | August 29, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Cartwright's release fee = 200K
Betts release fee = 2.775M

You do the math.

Posted by: SonofNero | August 29, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Commercial Break from fubball!

As a black man, I would love to see KISS...
anybody got tix...they are the only 50 something year old dudes that can wear platform boots, spandex and make-up.

LICK IT UP...LICK IT UP....Ohhh...Ohh...Oh!!!!!!

Posted by: rickyroge | August 29, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Ricky,

Roc has ZERO value at RB. You can't cut a #2 in front of a spec teams player... I really like the guy, I really really do, and scares me that he's a TEAM Player too,... but time to start building some youth in our backfield. I really like Aldrige, but no room unless they keep 4 RB's and Roc gets cut.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 29, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

anybody think that Hackett looked asleep during Colt's interception?

Posted by: KurtShanaman | August 29, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

"Coach Jim Zorn says he isn't certain how much playing team the first-team offense and defense will see..."

It's a no-brainer actually.

If the 1st team offense and defense had played well and executed without penalties and blow assignments, then they would've been excused from playing the final game against the Jags.

But they didn't.

The offense in particular needs another shot at proving what we all saw last night was real, and not the team sending a fake patriot missle.

So tell them all to strap up and put in a quality half game performance on the road against the jags.

And don't put me to sleep about giving guys a shot at earning a spot.

That time started when the team faced the Ravens, and if a guy hasn't earned one yet, how's extra time in a preseason game gonna help?

Let's get the starters focused asap--make them play 2 quarters against jackie-ville.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 29, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Point taken Clegg-

Posted by: rickyroge | August 29, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Here's an interesting article for you GM types on the possibilities of an uncapped year...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

ZCE,

CLEGG

Say Seattle, which has 2 kickers that are better than our kicker (and it appears that way). If Buzbee or Jackson is an upgrade to the rotation guy than they've got at the end of their roster, it makes sense for both teams.

Bottom line, why cut these guys and let them become free agents when both teams can upgrade?

Posted by: zcezcest1 | August 29, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

"Same question, Kurt. What has Eloi shown you that makes you think he's better than ARE?Posted by: talent_evaluator"

Ha. Zorn is putting in this new play that depends on the receiver jumping backwards out of a swimming pool...

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

ZCE,

I'm sorry, but there is NO logic to that. You don't save a roster spot ( of the 55th-60th best player on your roster ) in hopes of making a trade with a team that can't keep 2 kickers on their roster to trade one. Do you really think Sea is targeting Jackson or Buzbee on the open market? There are probably 15-20 other players if not more that will be cut on 9/5. Jackson, I think will make the team in lieu of Renaldo Wynn.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 29, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

How long do you think Rock will last on the waiver wire? other teams would swoop the Rock up and say thank you very much especially teams in our division.Rock will make the team book it, the rookies are too much of a risk in terms of missed assignments during crucial games late in the season they will make mistakes they are rookies, HELLO!! Rock won't do that and he and Reed Doughty are key to the special teams which have not looked spiffy at all.

Posted by: dargregmag | August 29, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bhoang888 | August 29, 2009 5:19 PM

Hmmm, I was thinking to myself, "what, is his d!ck on fire?" But posting that would be rude and uncalled for.

But then you said:
Dirty30 needs to stop being such a fruitcake flake.
Posted by: bhoang888 | August 29, 2009 5:35 PM

...and I realized you'd gone full tard and it's open season.

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 29, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Pierson Prioleau. Like Kurt Gouveia, has all the full-time vowels in his last name.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | August 29, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | August 29, 2009 7:34 PM |

Swoop him right up huh? I seem to remember not too long ago he was a free agent testing the market. It turned out to be non existent.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

i wish haynesworth sat on bellicheats face, i hate looking at his sneering face.

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 29, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

i also think its classic that springs didn't play

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 29, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

The new pool play for eloi is only topped by the jumping into a pickup truck with the tailgate up play.

Posted by: drewkinnear | August 29, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

rickyrouge,

shout it shout it shout it out loud!

you've been working hard, you deserve a duece!

hope you get your tix!

Posted by: chrislarry | August 29, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

SCampbell,

I was about to say the same thing. Roc isn't far from last years offseason when he wouldn't sign the Skins offersheet. I would hate to see that Spec Teams experience go away, but you can't save a roster spot just for TEAMS. If that was the case they wouldn't have moved Chris WIlson to LB and saved Khary Campbell.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 29, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

you can't save a roster spot just for TEAMS.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 29, 2009 7:55 PM

What do you think they're going to do to improve special teams? They've been a major liability so far.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 29, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I thought Rock was great last year, and has been solid for the last couple years. He seems like the Toyota pickup of RB/KRs. Dependable, will keep doin what he's doin (and he's very respectable, not that explosive, but clutch at times)

Devin Thomas has shown great speed, good quicks, and maybe a "makes people miss" type quality on some of his runs, including the TD from last year. Maybe the "Porsche Boxter" of WR/KRs. (homer un potential but no track record and may be high maintenance)

Mind you, there are some clunkers in the NFL, and there are some Lambos.

Of the make/models available to redskins, which would you rather have?

And has the Wedge Rule helped or hurt either KRs chances at being the man?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 29, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Love the idea of Marko at #2. The kid can play. His ST play will come around. BTW, Reed Doughty is a stud on ST. Here come the haters, but Betts, Rock and Hackett must go. Love Aldridge, Mason, Dorsey.

Posted by: bostskin | August 29, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Agreed...SkinsfaninKaneohe
My posting was pretty much GM101 common sense..plug holes with cuts from other talent overloaded teams in the those Needs categories..ie. the Skins lack of OL backup talent.....

But, once again..the Redskins Front Office will think Bugel can "coach up" the bargain cast offs, who when they eventually have to step in for an injured OL stater, as the season begins to wear down...will force JC to scramble for 2 seconds to throw.
Double pump and dump..
deja vu all over again..
++++++++++++++++++

DING DING DING we have a winner.

Crummey was unfortunately snatched from our Psquad last year.

The key is YOUNGER FASTER STRONGER.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | August 29, 2009 6:02 PM

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | August 29, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

TE,

Understand what your replying to, but this has been an all day back/forth. Teams are very important, but if Roc's value is greater/equal to someone else's on Teams, but is a liability in the backfield and we can upgrade there, then we do it. We've been suspect on coverage teams the past few years,.... It's time we move on past him. If we can save a spot for a kick returner, let the other Houston kid take it, Aldridge. ( I hope he returns kicks Thurs. night )

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 29, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | August 29, 2009 7:34 PM

Um, doesn't that kinda make it sound like they're the ones that SHOULD be cut? Not being a smart-***, just sayin'

Posted by: stevek20147 | August 29, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

REED # 37 has been playing very well on TEAMS and D. No complaints there...

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 29, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | August 29, 2009 6:29 PM

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Not an excuse. No way Cartwright gets cut.

Posted by: BMACattack | August 29, 2009 8:35 PM | Report abuse

BMA,

There is a way he can get cut, Roc will be 30 this season and Betts is already 30. Portis who averages over 330+ carries a year is 28 on Tuesday. It's time to start bringing in new/young but capable RB's that can/will play Spec Teams.

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 29, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Scamp, BMAC,

How much does the wedge rule affect this decision? Would a #11 be more suited to no wedge?

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 29, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

anyone else watching Philip Rivers look amazing as the Bolts QB? JC, watch and emulate please.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 29, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Scamp, BMAC,

Posted by: RomoLongballs | August 29, 2009 8:45 PM |

The wedge rules hurts Rock. That is the way he returns. He waits patiently for the wedge to take out the first wall, catches the seam and gets to the second level where he is then caught and tackled.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I believe the new WEDGE rule today will help a quick, scat type shifty guy... ( i think ) haven't noticed any major differences in pre-season though..

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 29, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I wish aldridge could've played the first two games. Its obvious the dude is quick and fast even more so than dorsey. I want to see more of him against the Jags.

DT certainly improved upon last preseason when it comes to returning kicks. Granted it was only one game but i liked what i saw.

Posted by: WVskinzfan | August 29, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

keep Rayner, Mason, and Aldridge/Dorsey and cut Suischem, Betts, and Cartwright

Posted by: coparker5 | August 29, 2009 10:11 PM | Report abuse

As far as kicker goes, i think a couple of guys on the street, although old, would be a better option than anything on our roster....AKA stover/carney

Posted by: WVskinzfan | August 29, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

No way Betts or Cartwright play for this team next year. Betts makes over $2mil and Cart $1.5 mil. Neither are worth it.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 29, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

How about this guy? Miami just released him.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 29, 2009 6:21 PM

Yeah he was born in Arlington. I'd still keep Suisham anyway. Unless Lohmiller comes out of retirement.. j/k

Posted by: RedCherokee | August 29, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Kickers: Sea both 0-2. 1 fm 50 wide left, 1 fm 29 wide left, 1 fm 50 short, 1 fm 40 something. Lets not talk trade or pick up here pls.
I agree with earlier post about getting a good qb. Put fire under JC17 or capable injury replacement.
Cassell hurt leg first pass play of game. Thigpin not gonna be avail I believe.
GO SKINS

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | August 29, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Mista Moe has the answer to the betts/mason question

As we saw last night, NE's offense goes through the QB not the RB. If, as Mistamoe, suggests we spread the field and put the ball in Soup's hand then it becomes an easy decision....cut betts. Ofcourse, this would be a major change to "redskin football".

Im with ya Moe. This is a passing league.

Posted by: WVskinzfan | August 29, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I think Rayner is gonna get the job, but thats just me.

Posted by: alex35332 | August 29, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I just got back from a big night of drininking, and I am reading these posts. Jesues, I am not this drunk!

ARE is not getting cut

Cartright is not getting cut

These guys are depth / Special Teams guys that we cannot lose. I hope Mason sticks with the team, but honestly and realistically, is he going to supplant Portis or Betts as as a starting RB? Or Cartright as KR? I mean you have to play the best guys in 2009!!

Posted by: Wemiss21 | August 29, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I think you are right alex but im not sure thats an upgrade...maybe the lesser of two evils...just haven't seen enough of rayner.

My vote is for the older vets on the street. The leg strength may not be there then again we dont have it now. Just watching Gost..whatever his name is last night, it looked as if his kicks were on the goaline/touchback nearly everytime. I didnt see that from either of our guys.

Posted by: WVskinzfan | August 29, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

How is it that Cartwright--a kick returner, mind you--isn't used as a 'scatback' or change of pace back?

Thing is, the redskins don't know what kind of offense they want.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 9, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse
----------------------------------------------
Rock isnt a change in pace from CP or Betts, he has the exact same running style as both of them except he's a hell of a lot tougher than the pansy ass Betts. Rock busts his ass for every yard he gets, his success' on kick returns are because he is a disciplined runner and never trys to out run his wedge. Now, with the rule change on the wedge Im not so sure Rock is going to do as well as he has, teams are going to need more speed from their returners and speed isnt Rock's strong point. One of the midgets we picked up is going to have to step up or I feel we are going to be seeing Tana' or Hall back there and that wouldnt be good for anyone.

Posted by: murphyz | August 9, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse
-------------------------------------------
I had a feeling the new rule would hurt the Rock, I didnt think he looked too bad on the returns he had but he is never going to give us the home run shot we need back there. I hope he's here on Sept 13th but if he's not I understand the thinking.

I think at this point DT should be the KR. Eoli ran pretty hard when he was back there against the Steelers so I want to see him get another shot back there, dont think he's gonna make the final cut but I hope he sticks around on the practice squad.

Posted by: murphyz | August 29, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I think you nailed it murphyz. All the backs have similar running styles. Which is why aldridge and dorsery got an invite to camp. I feel Vinnie wants either dorsey/aldrige to produce and make the team. I am not sold yet on either one myself, just havent seen enough of aldridge and dorsey has showed some, but not sure enought to replace anyone.

Posted by: WVskinzfan | August 29, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

When Roc gets cut, it's going to shock a lot of people... Can't have almost $4 mill going to 5-7 touches a game between Roc and Betts. Roc out this year, Betts maybe has 1 more year after this,... depending on how he has handles 5-10 touches a game this year..

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 29, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Me personally, I just LOVE seeing all the posts vouching for Marcus Mason.

I was saying LAST YEAR that this dude should have made the team, but was met with: "Rock is too good on special teams", "They can't carry four RBs on the roster", or "He has the same amount of career carries as I do"...

I think it's obvious now that Marcus Mason is "him". The dude is a beast can run between the tackles and take it outside. He isn't a scat back, but he's MORE than an insurance policy in case Portis falters down the stretch.

He should be the #2 RB on the roster...

And last night he showed that he can catch passes out the backfield.... I mean, he lined up in the FREAKIN' slot one time... AND caught a pass!

I'm algae in the Marcus Mason "tank", I've been in there that damn long....

Posted by: RedDMV | August 29, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Could it depend on who other teams cuts? It seems everyone, including myelf, would like to see some proven depth on the O line. If we can fill rock's KR duty with a given roster spot..aka DT. Maybe thats why vinnie drafted some "unknown" linebackers in the later rounds to cover punts/kicks?? I dont think rock by anymeans is a problem, but it appears with inviting dorsey/aldridge to camp, an upgrade is wanted.

Posted by: WVskinzfan | August 30, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

DING DING DING we have a winner.

Crummey was unfortunately snatched from our Psquad last year.

You do realize the Crummey is currently listed as the 3rd string RG on the Bengals? Haven't watched them so I don't know if that has changed.

Posted by: lifelongfan | August 30, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Why does Redskins.com show all those patriots highlights?

Posted by: Salinas1 | August 30, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

"I'm with ya Moe. This is a passing league."

My first convert has spoken.

Welcome aboard the "Hope the Redskins Open-up the Offense Express".

Hungry? We got hot-boiled peanuts, pork rinds, ribs, greens, beans, and cheap beer to slurp.

Feel free to 'let 'er rip' as I tend to drive the bus with the windows down.

Sit where ever you want, but keep an eye out for frak as he might be the one strapped with the bomb in his backpack.

There's plenty of space as most skins' fans refuse to join us. They still think the 'riggo drill' is the pathway to the playoffs.

The dominant AFC/NFC teams this year will feature 3-4 wide sets and throw the ball around the field.

To be on this bandwagon, you must believe the redskins should morph into a similar style while maintaining a killa defense.

Otherwise, I'll throw you under the bus just like Zorn might do Colt sometime next week.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

But Moe we all know you cant throw the ball in the cold northeast weather right??

There was this guy though...let me see...number 4 i believe that played on the "frozen tundra" wasnt he fairly good slingin the pigskin?

And some dude 12 i think that tossed what 50 TDs a couple yrs ago that played a little further north right??

Thinks i been slurpin too much of the Express's cheap beer...

Posted by: WVskinzfan | August 30, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

"They haven't noticed that even in the NFC East, the iggles and jints--our last two super bowl reps--are both throwing teams that run the ball only when we come to town."

Didn't the Jints win the league rushing title and finish 18th in passing?

Posted by: Samson151 | August 30, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Yes Samson they did in 2008 in 2007 when the won the superbowl 4

BUT the two 2008 superbowl reps rankings

PIT 23
ARZ 32

Posted by: WVskinzfan | August 30, 2009 1:13 AM | Report abuse

That is ranking for total rushing yards btw

To me what is more interesting is yds/att for expample

Baltimore 4 total yds
Philly 22 totatl yds

Both averaged the same per att. 4.0 yds

Posted by: WVskinzfan | August 30, 2009 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Ask Rice or Carter if they would like to play in the current NFL.

Posted by: WVskinzfan | August 30, 2009 1:46 AM | Report abuse

I sure hope the scouting dept does their job and picks up some of the last cuts from other teams with talent, especially O line and special teams. It just seems that my skins still don't have that fire in their eyes. Oh sure they celebrate enough after making an average at best play, but come on why are you jumping up and down about crap when you are losing and or possibly waking up the opponent with your antics. stop wasting energy on celebrating when you need to try to may game changing plays. I like coach Blatche but I cannot believe that he does not recognize that he does not have the necessary depth in the secondary (Reed Doughty is a special teams player at best and a slow one at that). Landry looks more and more like a strong safety to me which puts us in a bind unless someone else steps up. Smoot plays so far off his man that he looks like a free safety. I see so many (on the fence) players on other teams and they are always looking hungry to make a play. I don't see that consistently with the skins backups. I mean the Pats starters looked good and they did not even have that waterbug named Welker playing. btw, I appreciated Phil (dull as watching paint dry) Simms attempting to compliment JC a couple of times, but his partner was a putz. Don't worry Buck & Aikman, you are still the reigning NFL a**hole announcers aka cowgirl cheerleaders. HAIL SKINS!

Posted by: jenksredskins | August 30, 2009 2:45 AM | Report abuse

Jenks,you have some valid points,in fact I realized 2 years ago that Landry was not worthy of passing on Adrian Peterson,but my opinion was dismissed due to Portis.Can you imagine AP and Portis in the same backfield?Landry could easily be replaced until he proves otherwise in fact Kareem Moore has earned my confidence.Your wrong about the secondary Doughty is solid not spectacular.Rogers has not been on the field much and as far as I'm concerned his presence is huge,with him in the mix our secondary is much stronger.We are 4 deep at safety and lendy Holmes has impressed me.Smoot never earned my confidence and now he has lost a step to boot, nuff said.I totally agree on the celebrating after simply doing your job.But for some of these preseason players they realize its there 15 minutes of fame so go for it.But Tryon was on the roster last year he needs to simmer down.Tom Brady was feeling the wrath of the Redskins Defense at halftime and that my friends is a good sign.Mason played with the first team Friday.Do you think he made the roster?

Posted by: mark65 | August 30, 2009 4:11 AM | Report abuse

"Lets face it we all can massage the stats to certain extent to validate an opinion
BUT, the NFL has implemented rules/penalties that make it more difficult to stop a passing attack versus a running attack. Call it finesse if you will. But, from illegal contact to hitting a defense less receiver to roughing the QB..ect..That is a major change from years past..Ask Rice or Carter if they would like to play in the current NFL.
Posted by: WVskinzfan"

Not sure what you're getting at, but yes, the rules changes have made it easier on the passing game. And Pitt and AZ mostly relied on passing last season. Still:

1) the top 5 rushing clubs -- NYG, ATL, CAR, BAL, MIN -- made the playoffs. The top 5 passing teams -- NO, AZ, DEN, HOU, IND -- weren't quite as successful.

2) Once they got to the playoffs, both PIT and AZ both jacked their yards per game on the ground to just above 91 -- slightly better than the Ravens, for instance.

Balance is best, I imagine.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 30, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

On Smoot taking some plays at safety: it was Belichick who was saying a few months back that safeties were increasingly being drawn into coverage and that safeties needed CB skills. That's what appealed to me about the idea of signing and switching Springs, had that been possible. It's not that Smoot needs to become better at playing safety; it's that safeties now need some of the skills that Fred brings to the table.

He'd have to be the smallest in the league, however.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 30, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

He'd have to be the smallest in the league, however.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 30, 2009 9:26 AM

Only if you don't count his talk.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 30, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Ask Rice or Carter if they would like to play in the current NFL.
Posted by: WVskinzfan"

I'm not asking Carter anything, he's a giant doosh

Posted by: scampbell1975 | August 30, 2009 9:44 AM | Report abuse

On the Cardinals -- that looks to me like a team that could come waaay back to the pack. Remember how awful they looked for a couple games near the end of last season, before getting hot and almost going all the way? And they've got a really old QB. Of course, if he got hurt, they do have Leinart.

Baltimore has been torching teams in the preseason, but I'm suspicious of that, too. I wondered why they've been blitzing so hard all preseason. Maybe trying to build momentum with a few wins? Flacco looks great, but he's had no pressure. Their weaknesses are still their weaknesses -- WR, DB, outside LB, possibly OL in spots.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 30, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

samson151

"Their (the ravens) weaknesses are still their weaknesses -- WR, DB, outside LB, possibly OL in spots."

Then we redskins' fans should hope for their weaknesses.

The ravens' weaknesses got them to the second round of the AFC Playoff chase with a rookie quarterback guiding them.

Their goal this year?: the ravens--already possessing a ground game and killa defense-- are letting Flacco throw a lot in the preseason so he has the confidence to win games with his arm.

This last point sounds like a smart way for the other Washington area pro football team to get strong.

Posted by: MistaMoe | August 30, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Flacco, Rivers and Ryan looked really good yesterday. Quick reads and releases. I'd forgotten what that looked like.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 30, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

mista: "Then we redskins' fans should hope for their weaknesses."

Yes, they had a terrific season a year ago. And they've looked just great in the preseason.

It's a team that looks better when you compare them to the Skins than when you stare at them head-on.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 30, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

With the tall receivers we have(I'm assuming Mitchell makes it) I think it's time to put the ball in the air more. Moe is right yet again and the league has offered up rules changes that the smart teams take advantage of.

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 30, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm algae in the Marcus Mason "tank", I've been in there that damn long....

Posted by: RedDMV | August 29, 2009 11:59 PM |

----------

You're suckin' the oxygen outta da blog already with the "I told ya so talk."

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 30, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

But I do like the algae in the Marcus Mason tank metaphor.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 30, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

You're suckin' the oxygen outta da blog

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 30, 2009 11:23 AM

With all the wind that blows through this place, even a platoon of professional suckers -- Brandon Lloyd, Adam Archuletta, Steve Spurrier type suckers -- couldn't suck the oxygen out of this blog.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 30, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Many of us have been algae in the Mason tank for the 3rd year now.... Is 3rd time a charm?

Posted by: michael_b_clegg | August 30, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: 1965skinsfan | August 30, 2009 10:56 AM |

----------

Mark Brunell (Saints) didn't look bad either in action against da Raiders:

4 of 16 for 86 with 2 INTs

and Marko Mitchell is outplaying Heyward-Bey who had one catch for 12 yards.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | August 30, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

boop boop di boop

Posted by: talent_evaluator | August 30, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"With the tall receivers we have(I'm assuming Mitchell makes it) I think it's time to put the ball in the air more."

That's what they hoped to do at the beginning of last year. But the WCO the way Zorn learned it (in Seattle) is designed to produce a lot of rushing yards -- set up by their success with the passing game.

Odd thing about the running attack last season: they ran outside (the ends) a lot in comparison with classic rushing teams like Baltimore, the Giants, and Carolina, who mostly went off-guard.

Posted by: Samson151 | August 30, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

the crybaby just marched down 98 yards with 2 min left in half for TD. Just once could we do that when it counted.

I am desperately hoping so.

GO SKINS

Posted by: HPYTRKR1 | August 30, 2009 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Hate to blow everyone by getting off topic but I had to post this link to show how hypocritcal we can be some times. The link below talks about a story where a guy was selling ammunition to afghanistan and only gets 2 year probation. I mean come on we give out 2 year for shooting yourself and killing dogs but this dude was giving ammunition to the enemy that they are using to kill our soldiers.

Posted by: GreatOne1 | August 31, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse