Take It Easy on the Mayor

Scanning your comments, I see some of you aren't fond of my nickname. And even more of you seem downright offended I use a nickname to refer to myself in the third person. My former partner and good friend Jason La Canfora assigned that nickname to me when he was the caretaker of this space. I've been called worse, so I went with the flow when posting in Jason's absence.

It stuck among the Skins' beat scribes and my editors, which is why I went with it when I replaced JLa. Most of my friends call me J Reid or just J, and I don't refer to myself as The Mayor anywhere but here (Tenecia and my mom would kill me if I ever made a big-headed move like that).

This whole blog thing, in terms of setting the tone, is new to me. I've been a serious journalist my whole 20-year career -- too serious if you ask some people I've covered. I'm figuring this out as I go along while wearing two hats as a beat guy as well.

So if I refer to myself as The Mayor from time to time, and I will, please know that I do so in a lighthearted way. And for those of you who still choose to be upset at The Mayor, I have only one response: Lighten up, Francis.

I'm out for now. We'll hit it hard with the first practice of camp at 8:30 tomorrow. Or, as many of you refer to it, the greatest day of the year.

By Jason Reid  |  July 29, 2009; 5:00 PM ET
Categories:  Jason Reid
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: J. Campbell: The Kid Receivers Are Ready
Next: It's Time to Head to Camp

Comments

First!

Posted by: SkinsFanCT7 | July 29, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Jason don't sweat it. You'll always have your whiners. One of the most popular guys of all time on here was called the governor.

No worries bro. Appreciate your writing and don't read the hate. Anonymity plus mass audience will always bring out the worst in people.

Posted by: Gweez | July 29, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Jason...The Mayor...feel free to use the nickname as you please. In fact, I like it. I think that some people just take these comment postings a little too serious and, for them, I love the nickname Francis.

You've done a solid job taking over for JLa and I look forward to future Redskins Insider news from you.

Posted by: SkinsFanCT7 | July 29, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Yessir Mr. Mayor ... but question abides ...

The Mayor of what exactly? Mayhem?

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Love movies references!

Go do that voodoo that you do so well!

almost T minus 15 hours and counting

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 29, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Don't let the bloggers drive the story. You are now the captin....

Posted by: 4thFloor | July 29, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Your posts are much more professional and balanced compared to JLC. Keep up the good work! Although check your statistical facts -- we'll be on you for minor mistakes -- like saying ARE had a down year last year ;->

Posted by: siris | July 29, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Mayor, I think the residents of Slick City will come around. No need to abdicate just yet ... not until that Tenorio fella creeps in and starts stuffing ballot boxes.

Posted by: dcsween | July 29, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

There's a little something wrong with your logic.

D. Thomas wasn't even good enough to supplant ARE in the lineup. Part of what makes him a Year 1 "bust" was his apparent inability to even earn/work his way onto the field.

Posted by: p1funk | July 29, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse
Easy fix. Scream in his face , tell him to quit being a jerk off and get on the field. It sucks when you have starting receivers the size of horse jockeys. Get his tall a## out there and throw the ball at him. If he doesn't want to work have Sellers punch him in the face

Posted by: iH8dallas | July 29, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Apparently the problem with D.Thomas is that he rides the short bus to Redskins Park and that's not an easy fix.

If you can't learn/remember the playbook then it doesn't matter how tall or fast you are or how much you scream.

Hopefully this year will be much better b/c the Redskins have had a year to embed the playbook into Baby Einstein videos making it much easier for DT to learn it.

Posted by: p1funk | July 29, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

JReid, your nickname is fine...anything that helps remove Marion Barry from being associated with the word "Mayor" is welcome into our dialogue/word-associations.

Posted by: p1funk | July 29, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mayor, it's all good. Don't sweat it. Just realize there are a lot of fans out there that take themselves, and the Redskins, way too seriously.

Posted by: RedskinsWarpath | July 29, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"Lighten up, Francis."

Exactly, screw these keyboard cranky-pants!

Also ARE sucks. Down year/career year....whateves. The Mayor was right....he is a 3/4 WR at best on a good team. Look, stats can tell 100 stories. Your moms tuna casserole might be better than my moms...but tuna casserole still sucks either way.

I hope somebody can replace his suck-azz "positive message" no punt returning, side line to side line azz, and quick.

Posted by: chrislarry | July 29, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

For those of u who are upset of Reid calling himself The Mayor please get a life

Posted by: acm1179 | July 29, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

It's all good Mayor - like any message board/blog, we have a fair number of people whose goal in life is to take exception with any communication generated by the media.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | July 29, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

It's all good Mayor. Some people on here are too concerned with trivialities. It's nice to know that the writer actually reads the posts. All I can say in the way of advice is make sure the skin is thick. It's all in good fun though and you provide all of us with some level of crack.

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Also to the Mayor ... we are all relieved that the "Unrestricted" videos (including your Morse code blinking) have resulted the hostage takers releasing you from captivity.

Posted by: dcsween | July 29, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Take It Easy on "The Marion Barry"

Posted by: filmchis | July 29, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

JohnD, we must have tapped into the same wavelength...scary

Posted by: scampbell1975 | July 29, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Get a life out there. Get a life. If that's the worst thing that happens in your day ( a reporter referring to himself as "The Mayor" ) you should get down on your knees and thank God you haven't been hit by a bus. Get a life.

Posted by: rich20ssu | July 29, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Mayor, so far I am enjoying the blog, big ups to you and good luck dealing with the degenerates who have a limited base of knowledge when it comes to professional sports who feel it necessary to share their stupidity with everyone else.

Posted by: ccohen2 | July 29, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't there a time when the Skins were pursuing Derrick Burgess (DE/Oakland)? pft says he hasn't shown up to camp and likely is pouting about trade/cut rumors now that Greg Ellis is there.

Posted by: dcsween | July 29, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Mayor,

If you can't stand the heat, step away from the stove. You will need a thicker skin or we will drive you batsh1t crazy.

When I say "we," I of course exclude myself from that group. So, I should say they will drive you batsh1t crazy. I know they made me that way.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rich20ssu | July 29, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

ROFL....Why do you get hit my a Bus EVERYDAY or somethin'???

I'd move to the country if I were you.

Is everyone all right?

Cuz I'm thinkin he's the Mayor Hypersensitivegirlytown after that post!

Posted by: filmchis | July 29, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I must have missed something. What happened to Jason LaCanfora?

Posted by: dcdash | July 29, 2009 12:30 PM |

Dash dude - what cave have you and Osama Bin Laden been sharing? The fat boy is now with NFL Network, courtesy of some strings pulled by Mr. Snyder. It worked this way:

1. Desperate to flee newspaper job.
2. Write articles slamming local team.
3. Get better job security.

This is to be contrasted with what happened in NYC with the Mets and beat reporter Adam Rubin. There it worked this way:

1. Desperate to flee newspaper job.
2. Don't get better job security.
3. Write articles slamming local team.

If we use the following shorthand we have:

A = Desperate to flee newspaper job
B = Write articles slamming local team
C = Get better job security

With the fat boy the causal chain was:

A -> B -> C

With Rubin it was:

A -> nC -> B

where "nC" means "not C". Interesting.

Posted by: BirnamWood | July 29, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Leigh Torrance is the mayor

Posted by: drewkinnear | July 29, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Define ironic...
A bunch of jagoff commenters with nicknames complaining about the Posters use of a nickname...

Posted by: DrPainless | July 29, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm pleased that I have not been hit by a bus because I bike to work. That said, I think some of these buses should be glad I haven't hit THEM. That's all I'm saying. I'd leave a mark.

Posted by: dcsween | July 29, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Define ironic...

Posted by: DrPainless | July 29, 2009 5:47 PM

Beautiful! Post of the Day!

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

TE,

Reading the lines carefully ... J Reid is a serious reporter ... dead serious. We thought we were dealing with a gaggle of sports geeks and instead ... tada we were actually hobknobbing with
Jason Woodward and Jason Bernstein ... Pulitzer due any day now dontcha know ... Deep Throat on the phone ...

Hey, can I go to the can man? Classs, Classs,
CLASSSSS! SHUTTTTT UP! Thank you.

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I'd leave a mark.

Posted by: dcsween | July 29, 2009 5:49 PM

And you'd make a noise: Splat.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

No, Priest Holmes is the mayor.

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Define ironic...

Posted by: DrPainless | July 29, 2009 5:47 PM |

Dr. Painazz - at least I don't reference myself with a name connoting importance and power if I am not such. Flea floating down the river with an erection yelling open the drawbridge, open the drawbridge!

Posted by: BirnamWood | July 29, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

J Reid is a serious reporter ... dead serious.

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 5:51 PM

And I'm a serious poster. We have that in common. We may be able to build a relationship on that, me and the mayor.

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

@p1funk

Loving the "Baby Einstein" reference.

I think by now most of us realize that the simple routes (fly, quick screen, and hook) that DThomas was limited to at Mich State did nothing to prepare him for an NFL Playbook.

Based on what teammates have said, it seems that he may be the kind of guy who only learns by doing. Different strokes for different folks, but hopefully the time he has put in this offseason will pay off this season.

Posted by: SportzWiz | July 29, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

No worries, Mr. Mayor.

We care much more about the reporting. So far, you're doing a great job!

Keep it up!

Posted by: LifelongHog | July 29, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I like 'The Mayor'... It sounds good by default. Also, when you write something crappy, we can call you Mayor McCheese.

Posted by: jkurgan1 | July 29, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

"J Reid is a serious reporter ... dead serious.

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 5:51 PM

Posted by: talent_evaluator | July 29, 2009"

And I'm a serious poser: Here is my attempt at serious journalism ...

rm -r -f /bin/laden

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

As long as you're not calling yourself the Mayor of Dallas, I'm okay with it.

As for the receivers, I think it is great that Campbell worked them out in the offseason. I would be a little more optimistic about them had Moss been part of their little practice group. I think there are some things they can only learn from an experienced receiver. My fingers are crossed...

Posted by: RedSkinHead | July 29, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

J. Reid, the Mayor might have a lot in common with Chuck Norris:

Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.
Chuck Norris doesn't actually write books, the words assemble themselves out of fear.

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I must have missed the thread where people took issue with J. Reid calling himself Mayor.

At any rate, the fact that he wrote a blog entry about it is an ominous sign. It speaks too clearly to the question of who is taking themselves too seriously on here.

Tenorio should have been given this gig.

Posted by: MrRedskin21 | July 29, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

JReid, are you really going to explain your NICKNAME to these petty bamas?

Really?

I don't know. It just seems like a waste of time; like me leaving a comment on why are you commenting on those who leave negative comments RE: The Mayor.

One.

Posted by: RedDMV | July 29, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jason...Don't listen to some on here bout that. I like the "Mayor" I referred to what you wrote the other day to a friend and said "the Mayor reported that"

I'm so happy you took over the blog. JLC might have been your friend...But he did alot of negative reporting on here. Always sounded personal. I have been very pleased and it has been so refreashing getting the skins news the way it's meant.

Your doing a great job!

Posted by: leevi98 | July 29, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Freakzilla likes it when complainees continue to tweak complainers with the wholly inconsequential stuff the complainers are complaining about.

Posted by: freakzilla | July 29, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Jason,

Just my two cents, perhaps a few others here will agree. Paul Tenorio did more solid reporting in one month than the Jason Brothers from different mothers did all last year in my opinion.

Just give us the facts. Share some occasional rumors...it's gets us hamsters all wound up. But please don't do the "shout outs" or "my boy" stuff becuase it's just more words that I have to plow through to get to some Skins news.

Keep it smooth.....glad you are here.

Posted by: isnadd | July 29, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Count me among the fans of the nickname. Just don't attach McCheese to the end of it. I think that's taken.

Posted by: Original_etrod | July 29, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Mr Mayor,
You seem to have the blog tone dialed right in.

Don't worry, this is sort of the honeymoon, where you or someone else at the Post cares about the comments...don't worry it will pass.

You'll be too busy to care in...well just a few hours.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 29, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

You may use "The Mayor" under one condition: you must fight Marion Barry to the death, in the Octagon, preceded first by a Ben's Chili Bowl chili eating contest. That is all.

Posted by: AndrewDiceGoldsteinfeld | July 29, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I for one would like to know if the Culter trade business was used to engineer the Orakpo pick. I suspect the interest in Culter was real and then Orakpo fell into our laps, but others give the FO more credit.

(maybe that calls for some investigative journalism by a serious reporter)

just askin...

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 29, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

My bad...I was referring to the Trade up for Sanchez business, not the Culter business.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | July 29, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Jason/ Mayor,
By now you have surely stopped reading user comments in response to your post by this point in the thread. As such, I will refrain from adding anything of value. Good day, and hello RI.

oh, and f cHrIs lARrY.

Posted by: TDawg1 | July 29, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

@_Stumped_ misdirection is definitely part of GMing, it would have been a nice move if they pulled it off. orakpo was supposed to go top 5 - 10, though Mel kiper had him going to us at 13. I was pleased he "fell" that far and excited to have him, though time will tell.

Posted by: bryaningrocery | July 29, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bryaningrocery | July 29, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Stumped...

nah

Posted by: bryaningrocery | July 29, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Stumped...

nah

Posted by: bryaningrocery | July 29, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

still no STANLEY RICHARDS reference

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | July 29, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Nothing against J.La - I was a fan and still follow him over at NFLN - but I think the blog already has better coverage now that The Mayor has taken over. While you were gone, J. Reid, I was a little worried that Tenorio would fill the spot and not you. I think you gotta keep the nickname and use it as much as possible. In fact, that's how you should introduce yourself when other journalists come to cover 'Skins games. "Welcome to FedEx, I'm The Mayor of this town."

Posted by: Wonsapnatm | July 29, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

The sheriff.

What a joke! Guy couldn't tackle his own shadow...

Posted by: edvar | July 29, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Jasno looks like the ice cream man tonite on NFLN with that white jacket

Posted by: noonefromtampa | July 29, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Famous Mayors not blogging:

Mayor McCheese
Mayornaise
Mayor Daly
Mayor of Crazytown

Posted by: terlin1 | July 29, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

welcome to the 2009 training camp special edition of:

ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES

Once again, brought to you by the fine people at Yahoo!

Training camp is upon us and several things are clear.

First and foremost, success in 2009 is spelled D-E-F-E-N-S-E. All draft picks above round 7 were used on 'd', our biggest re-signing was on 'd' and the biggest FA signing in the league was for our 'd'.

Nonetheless, the defense is only marginally better, since it lost considerable talent, though that talent was oft injured and pricey.

The offense is modestly different, with few meaningful changes. The OL remains the team's achilles heel. Its not talent, its health. Its hard to see this OL holding up vs the NFC East DLs and LBs. I like the addition of Roydell Williams. A lot.

On special teams, we had 3 noteworthy problems. P is solved, PR needs to change and we'll see what happens at K.

One the less tangible front, perhaps Zorn will be smarter in his roles. The team has more combustible players than they've had in a long time, so there is some risk there.

So what to make of the upcoming season. The NFC East is weaker, the AFC schedule we play is weaker and our 'parity games' are the Lions and Rams. So, are the stars are aligned for a playoff run?

ZEKE's 6 long shot predictions for 2009:
1. Robert Henson gets a start at OLB
2. Roydell Williams becomes a legit #2 WR
3. Carlos Rogers gets 5 picks
4. No less than 3 different guys start at RT
5. The Skins beat the jints
6. But lose to the Raiders

And that's it for the training camp 'grand opening' version of ZEKE'S UNIQUE PERSPECTIVES, brought to you by the fine people at Yahoo!

Posted by: zcezcest1 | July 29, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

MistaMayor:

"So if I refer to myself as The Mayor from time to time, and I will, please know that I do so in a lighthearted way."

Bro', you can't be the chief if you worry about what the indians think.

Sip from the cup 'o arrogance and work your code: you are the Mayor--deal with it-- and F all the opinionators and haters out there.

Look, there are dudes in this blog whose game is so weak they spent their time tearing other bloggas down as they ain't got nothing but spit in one hand and hope in another.

You the Mayor--tax'em and move on.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

"What happened to Jason La Canfora?"

The real question is what was the NFLN thinking when it let Adam Schefter go to the MickeyMouse sports network--ESPN--and replaced him with the 'not ready for television' Canfora.

Posted by: MistaMoe | July 29, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

J Reid, I dont know if you read the comments here in the past, but the comments here can be pretty harsh at times. You should of seen some of the things said about JLC, and i'm guilty of saying them at times too. That said , I wish you the best in your new role at the WaPo. The best advice i could give you is to just be yourself on the blog. I dont mind you calling yourself the mayor at times either.

But I will tell you what really bothers me about this blog right now. Go to the mainpage http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/ and look at the top of the browser. it still has Jason LaCanfora's name up there. Please have that fixed.

Posted by: X--E | July 29, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

you the man mayor... let the hater's hate. the blog is running on all cylinders. Let training camp begin!!!

Posted by: buke | July 29, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

"Also ARE sucks. Down year/career year....whateves. The Mayor was right....he is a 3/4 WR at best on a good team."

Wasn't he a starter on the Super Bowl winning Steelers? Jus' sayin' is all I'm sayin'.

Posted by: psps23 | July 29, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Wade Phillips has jumped the shark with his latest training camp blunder in an attempt to save his job..No live contact???wtf?

Posted by: Vicc | July 29, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

IL DUCE!! IL DUCE!! ANYTHING YOU SAY, LORD
WHORFIN, YOUR HONOR!!

Posted by: frak | July 29, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Mayor. Nice job of weaving the irreverent STRIPES reference into the blog. Keep up the great work.

Posted by: thurston57 | July 29, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | July 29, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Really? People have a problem with you being "The Mayor"?

Posted by: hobbes9 | July 29, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Right on Mayor! Thanks for the work you do. I'm out here in AFC west territory. I appreciate any Skins info that you can provide.

Posted by: coparker5 | July 29, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

@p1funk

Loving the "Baby Einstein" reference.

Posted by: SportzWiz | July 29, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

The knock on DT coming out of college was that he was raw, unrefined, and relied way too heavily on his athleticism to make plays; and he was a "project".

That all turned out to be true.

In all seriousness, I do hope/expect that he takes a nice leap forward this year.

...I also hope that he's refined his TD dance, b/c that crap he flashed in the end zone against the Cards on the long TD that got called back was LAME.

Posted by: p1funk | July 29, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: psps23 | July 29, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah and they really tried hard to keep him after during free agency....and his absence really hindered them from a second SB....and he was 4 years younger....

just sayin

Posted by: chrislarry | July 29, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Jason--

Didn't they issue alligator skin and a flak vest with the gig? My Gawd man, offering logical arguments to this herd of cats is like trying to reason with a tank full of ravenous Piranha.

My advice is do what JLC (says he) did. Do you job and don't read the krap on the blog. It will suck out your soul.

Cork says use the third person if you want, but don't abuse it.

Posted by: TheCork | July 29, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Jason, don't listen to the haters. Most of us know that you're in the process of creating an on-line persona, which is totally fine with us. You're The Mayor, bro. Say it proud.

Also, you're doing a great job since taking over. Seriously.

Posted by: squid1 | July 29, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

MistaMoe ... that is harsh dude.

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Have you guys seen the sour-grapes article that Wise put together about Jansen?

It's something worthy of JLA.

Posted by: p1funk | July 29, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

You can call yourself whatever you want Mr. Mayor.

This place is so much better now that that hack J Ca Ca is gone it's not even funny.

night and day difference for the better.

keep up the good work.

Posted by: IHateJLC | July 29, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

For those who don't know:

Posted by: IHateJLC | July 29, 2009
is really Vinnie Cerrato.

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

3 words Mr. Mayor. DON'T...DO...CRACK.

Welcome and good luck!

Posted by: Predator48 | July 29, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Keep up the good work...dont drink the haterade

Posted by: shawnlsmonica | July 29, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

This training camp, I promise to leave no stone unturned, find the right stall, jiggle the handle in just the right way, and let Redskins Unrestricted see the light of day.
Then you can switch from being the Mayor to the Field General.

Posted by: daggar | July 30, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and First official post of training camp. I've already got a slight sprain in my shift-key pinkie, but I'm gonna work my way through it.

Posted by: daggar | July 30, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

It's very obvious you're a good dude and we are lucky to have you covering our team. Most of us that tune in everyday, multiple times a day are fanatics, like myself. I think we just want honest to the point coverage and feedback about our team. We don't like it sugar coated, and we appreciate it when you call it like it like you see it. We don't have to agree but when it is called for, have an opinion. It is clear that you feel the importance of this blog to the followers here and that you don't take it lightly, even though you are correct in that many people here do need to lighten up!

Posted by: DaveWeiss | July 30, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

MistaMoe ... that is harsh dude.

Posted by: periculum | July 29, 2009 10:47 PM |

"Spit in one hand and hope in another". Typical moeronic comment. More hash than harsh. First off, if you have two hands you would say ... in one and ... in the other. But if you have more than two hands ... . Anyway, second off, if your game is to tear down why have hope around at all? Just load up with spit in however many hands you have and then ... do something or other I guess. Don't know how having spit in your hands makes your pot shots any better.

Posted by: LittleGreenBag | July 30, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

just don't let the mayor of fedex hear about this

Posted by: FanMan1 | July 30, 2009 2:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm tired of this crowd whining about content they receive for free. I don't care what you call yourself. I appreciate the Skins coverage and simply ask for as much of it as you can provide. I'll take whatever you offer because the price is right.

Posted by: drischord | July 30, 2009 3:02 AM | Report abuse

Am I right that to attend training camp you need to print an "invite" off the Skins website? I'm hoping to go Friday or next week.

Also, I love the optimism from JC about the young WR's, but like most of you I'm very cautious in my optimism. I still get acid reflux and a little bile rising up into my throat every time I think we used 3 2nd round picks on WR, WR, TE. Christ, they could've at least picked Deshean Jackson over Fred Davis, a luxury pick we couldnt afford to make..the Eagles had to be salivating and rolling on the floor when we to Big Fred over Jackson...anyway, time to see what you got guys

HAIL

Posted by: Notorious_LMG | July 30, 2009 3:08 AM | Report abuse

"the mayor" is a gay ass name! If anyone takes this guy serious with that s#^t, then this blog is gay! You're all gay. I have a gay uncle and I don't think he's gayer than all of you. Beantown, you're a loser. I liked you at one point, but you're gay... not like my uncle (who actually blows men), but you are all gay!

Posted by: noseman4681 | July 30, 2009 3:38 AM | Report abuse

I will find a way to destroy this blog... I can create many names... but I have no life... so this is it... you're all going to suffer.

Posted by: noseman4681 | July 30, 2009 3:41 AM | Report abuse

"What happened to Jason La Canfora?"

Mike Williams ate him..
and found he wasn't too palatable for his taste.

Hence the HUGE weight loss.

Posted by: RedCherokee | July 30, 2009 5:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: psps23 | July 29, 2009 8:24 PM

Key contributor? Yes. Starter? No. Skins should have known better...Steelers FAs usually don't do nearly as well in their 2nd stops as they did in Pittsburgh.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 30, 2009 5:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: noseman4681 | July 30, 2009 3:38 AM

Save a life. Don't drink and blog.

Posted by: brownwood26 | July 30, 2009 5:45 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Mayor ...the only thing bad about this post is that you had to do it ...

explaining your nickname, which I think is funny as hell by the way is such a waste of time.

too bad jerks out there HAVE ZERO SENSE OF HUMOR.

kEEP UP THE AWESOME JOB ...

Posted by: gortiz1 | July 30, 2009 9:04 AM | Report abuse

JReid - just do you Mayor and ignore the morons on this blog that do nothing but hate. This blog provides good insightful info and many of the posters are intelligent fans here cuz they care about the Skins. What can we do about idiots... nothing but ignore them.

Posted by: FunStreet | July 30, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Good catch on the title tags, X--E.

Post of the post goes to AndrewDiceGoldsteinfeld, I think. You ain't mayor in this town until Mayor Barry says you are...

I think the message is not to worry about rants about names, especially mine, as long as the reporting stays solid. It's nice to come to RI for some inside info again, not random "If I was coach" speculation and Monday morning QBing. The text from Vinny stuff, which isn't quite enough for a WaPo story, I wouldn't think, was perfect for the Insider. Great work so far, Jasnot. ;^D

Posted by: WorstSeat | July 30, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

The Mayor is a gay name. you shouldnt call yourself your nickname - maybe once in a blue moon. certainly not repeatedly. get a grip dude, this site is bigger than you, just report the news. thanks.

Posted by: kdog11 | July 30, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Since you referenced caddyshack, I will not rag on you for speaking of yourself in the 3rd person. I like the nickname the mayor, the 3rd person stuff is a little bit much, ay mate?

Posted by: BMACattack | July 30, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

J

In London we have:-

The Mayor
The Lord Mayor

We are neither confused nor worried about this. We're also happy to have you as The Mayor

Keep it coming and don't listen to the naysayers

Best Wishes